[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traditional Scouting or not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: baden.jpg (12KB, 220x315px) Image search: [Google]
baden.jpg
12KB, 220x315px
This seems like the right place to ask this: I'm a 21 year old Britfag (and CompSci grad.) who loves the outdoors when in it, but is half retarded when it comes to it.

To fix this, I'm keen to join the Scouts and aim for whatever the highest award that I'm still eligible for is, then see what I pick up on the way.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the difference/benefits/downsides/interchangeability of joining either Scout Association or the Baden-Powell Scouts' Association (or, more generally, traditional scouting or 'non-traditional')?

The most obvious difference would be that the former would only give me until my 24th birthday, whilst the latter would give me no age limit. That's by no means the matter settled though.
>>
>>1030956
HAHAHSHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAGAGAHAGAGAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

*breathes*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAGAGAHAGAGAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>1030962
Gb2 >>>/b/ with your retarded ass.
>>1030956
Sorry I can't be of much assistance, ameriskinny here. Was in BSA, had a blast, learned lots of useful shit. From what I gather, it's all highly dependent on the quality of the troop you join. Some (like Troop 97, Reelsville, Indiana) are good and you actually get to go innawoods and learn about nature; others are more daycare-y and you don't learn shit. Make sure you get a good troop.
>>
I can't speak to Bongistan scouting but in the US it really depends on the troop. The Baden-Powell Scouts seem to be more oriented towards traditional frontiersman type stuff than the other one.
>>1030962
Thank you for your contribution you useless faggot nigger. Go jerk off in the gear queer thread or something.
>>
Also, if anyone has any comments on mature scouting in general, go right ahead. May they all aspire to the same level of quality as the first post.
>>
Become a leader, perhaps? Unfortunately, I don't think you can experience scouting as someone who joins at a young age.
>>
File: 0_e17a9_426b4984_orig1.jpg (464KB, 900x642px) Image search: [Google]
0_e17a9_426b4984_orig1.jpg
464KB, 900x642px
>tfw scouts in your country is just an excuse to bingedrink in a holiday chalet

I mean it's fine but I want to do some serious outdooring as well
>>
>>1030956
Your going to get In trouble touching on the other kids
>>
>>1030956

bottom line is you're too old now kid.

to get in now you'd have to go in as some kind of volunteer instructor, pass all kinds of background checks to make sure you're not in fer fiddlin' with little boys or a Jihadi John, behave like a fucking angel around a gang of teenager who will push every kind of limit you have (and ones you didn't think you did) to spend a fortune on trips where you're basically an under appropriated babysitter a few times a year at organised events where everything is so PC little Ranjit isn't even allowed to see a a tree in case a duck in the pond offends Shiva or some shite- it's that bad and more..... and don't even fucking think about havin' a smoke.

it's not like it used to be.

save your money and sanity, lurk some, buy some gear and make your own way avoid the fuck out of scouting
>>
File: 1410211945237.jpg (14KB, 264x396px) Image search: [Google]
1410211945237.jpg
14KB, 264x396px
>>1031845
they are worried about pedos in the US. OP would have to marry some paki and take his wifes son on camping trips
>>
>>1030956
At this point, I think scouting is too late, at 21 you're definitely better off just finding a good dedicated group of innawoods boys and hanging out with them.

I'm an Ameriskinny with a ton of BSA experience. Not sure what it's like in the UK but here there's a lot of bs you gotta deal with and overall, if you join with the wrong people, the actual outdoors part is put in the background.

Find a group of friends or a group of guys with tons of experience and learn from them.
>>
>>1030985
Also can't help with UK scouting, but I've served as an assistant scoutmaster and various skills instructors (wilderness survival counselor, rock climbing/rappelling instructor, boating instructor) as an adult.

It's extremely depressing how much the BSA has turned into daycare for the obese mentally ill in America. I've bounced around a couple troops in my area and of course I get to see every troop from within about a 150 mile radius at summer camp and maybe 5-10% of the kids in it these days are "normal".

Hell we have one troop who is 100% medically-diagnosed low-function autismos. They literally have a state-funded tard wrangler assigned to their troop.
>>
>>1032278
>tfw this is what it was like when I tried

The scoutmaster was this lady and she would have been okay, but she had a kid with a whole laundry list of problems like
>ahdh
>assburgers
>etc
and it was just arts and crafts while she was overprotective of her kid. It basically drove everyone away except for this other loser that I'm pretty sure had aspergers.
>>
I didn't realise there was such a difference between UK and US scouting—I see that the cutoff for the Eagle Scout is 18 years old.

For reference, in the UK you can join the Scout Association's 'Scout Network' between the ages of 18–25, and the Queen's Scout award takes a minimum of 18 months.

Alternative, you can join the Baden-Powell Scouts' Association's 'Rover Scouts' aged 18+ (no upper age limit).
>>
>>1032329
Again, not sure how it is in the UK but in the US the *only* award that matters is Eagle. Everything else is little more than bragging rights solely to other scouts.

However, if you join a Venture crew you can continue on until 21. Venture crews are co-ed and are the ones that actually do all the cool shit.

Normal scouting ages out at 18, you can't do any progression beyond that. However, you can continue to help the troop as an adult scouter, and there are basically philanthropy awards (silver beaver, etc) for adults if you need a shiny as motivation.
>>1032285
Wasn't like that when I was a boy. Kinda wish I'd never gotten back in to it, took a ~10 year break between aging out and getting back in to it as an adult while I was in the Army.
>>
File: 2015as-cs-qsa.png (27KB, 400x405px) Image search: [Google]
2015as-cs-qsa.png
27KB, 400x405px
>>1030956
OP, seeing as your now real old, you can only join Network which covers 18-25 year olds. The highest award you can get is the Queen Scout Award.
You have to work hard to get it. If you do get it, you may be selected to go to Windsor Castle for an awards ceremony where you'll be awarded by one of the Royals and may meet Bear Grylls.
Once you reach the age of 25, you can no longer be awarded it.

Your Uni should have a network group that might be worth joining. Its a shame you didn't consider joing earlier, you've missed out a lot.

Good luck.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.