[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RUGGED PHONES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 11

File: 1299863_LB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg (75KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1299863_LB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg
75KB, 1000x1000px
I want to find the absolute best rugged phone out there. Please help me.
>>
Google can help you. You're either lazy, retarded, or from some 3rd world country that hasn't heard of Google before, but it's a search engine. Enter keywords such as "best rugged phones" and it'll give you answers. Pretty magical.
>>
>>1028042
I think that sc/out/ opinions on this are a million times more valuable than all those clickbait pages put together. Huh.
>>
File: ottercase.jpg (915KB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
ottercase.jpg
915KB, 4096x2304px
>>1028025
how rugged does it need to be ?

i would go for a waterproof phone like the newer Samsung.

and a sealed hard case. anything more is hard over kill unless you treat you gear very bad.
>>
>>1028052
>implying this board isn't nothing but a bunch of hikers and wanna be survivalists that own Galaxy or iPhones.
>>
>>1028059
Makes you a bigger wannabe by abstaining from those things
>>
File: image.png (83KB, 212x218px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
83KB, 212x218px
>>1028059
My iPhone is great and I don't need some autistic rough phone because I take care of my belongings.
Why you Gotta be so sad?
>>
>>1028119
>Jason Alexander was born in Newark, New Jersey, the son of Jewish parents
try again goy
>>
>>1028025
http://www.catphones.com/en-us/
>>
Get a LifeProof case or whatever incase of water.

And more importantly, take care of your shit.
>>
>>1028059
Pls tell us how great you're, Messner.
>>
>>1028025
If you've got Verizon, Samsung SCH-U660 Convoy 2
>milspec water and shock resistance
>micro-usb charging port
>takes MicroSD card up to 32GB
>speaker rivals latest smartphone speaker
>lasts up to 3 days on a single charge
>available on amazon for ~$20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00CXVGYP4/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
>>
File: sch-660.jpg (14KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
sch-660.jpg
14KB, 480x480px
>>1028154
forgot pic
>>
File: chirp.jpg (21KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
chirp.jpg
21KB, 400x300px
>>
>>1028042

Don't be a dick. If it wasn't for "I need X piece of gear, gimme advice" there wouldn't be an /out/ at all. Are you saying this on knife, axe, hammock, or water bottle threads? No? Then stfu
>>
>>1028025
The first bit of info required is in what countries and with what carriers do you wish to use it?
>>
>>1028025

These guys:

>>1028057
>>1028127
>>1028128

are correct. Ruggedized laptops are proof against shocks, temperature extremes, and water.

With a phone, shocks aren't much of a problem because you don't have a hard drive, or even much in the way of moving parts. So no head crashes. Everything else can be handled with a good case. You know the old panasonic toughbooks? The milspec ruggedized computers? There was an ad where a humvee rolled over one and implied that the laptop could survive... but if you looked closely it shattered the screen. So there's a limit on even the rugged gear.

Against temperature extremes, a good case will help a little against a momentary exposure, but really you just have to be careful. Keep your phone under your clothes and near your body in cold weather, and out of the sun and somewhere cool when it's hot.

Finally, there's water. Some phones like the new samsungs are splash-resistant. NEVER put any phone in saltwater, or even freshwater if you can help it. There you're relying on the case.

So really it's all about having a decently rugged but up-to-date phone, and then getting a really good case for it. If you're really going to be in rough circumstances, then get a cheap unlocked no-name phone and a nice case, then swap SIMs so you can use it when you need it, and a decent phone for EDC when you're home.
>>
>>1028025
>>>/g/
>>
>>1028368
>>>/lgbt/
>>
File: you-keep-using-that-word.jpg (36KB, 684x384px) Image search: [Google]
you-keep-using-that-word.jpg
36KB, 684x384px
>>1028123
>goy
>>
I really want a S6 or S7 active, they look rugged enough and have large batteries.

Throwing a case onto that, and a tempered glass screen and the phone would be hard to break.
>>
File: kyocera-duraforce-pro.jpg (55KB, 770x578px) Image search: [Google]
kyocera-duraforce-pro.jpg
55KB, 770x578px
I have this

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/kyocera-duraforce-pro,review-4184.html

My only real complaint is that the battery isn't the best. In terms of durability it really does shine. Super water proof, shock proof, heat/cold resistant etc. It even comes loaded w/ trail apps and shit like that.
>>
>>1028188
>Finally, there's water. Some phones like the new samsungs are splash-resistant. NEVER put any phone in saltwater, or even freshwater if you can help it. There you're relying on the case.

What is even IP67... 1 meter for 30 minutes..?
>>
File: 1495690464480.jpg (104KB, 750x719px) Image search: [Google]
1495690464480.jpg
104KB, 750x719px
>>1028154
>milspec water and shock resistance
>speaker rivals latest smartphone speaker
What?
>>
>>1028666
Yes. Basically it's good if you drop it in the toilet. If you actually care about the water aspect, the Kyocera is good to like 6-7 feet for 30 min. It even switches automatically to underwater mode when you take a photo or video innawater.
>>
>>1028677
Idk. Its good for me who play around water a lot. I always seem to jump in with my phone in my pocket. Can't wait to not have to worry with the new Htc U11.
>>
>>1028671
>that image
keke

>>1028175
>>1028157
>M+MXVII
>flip phones
>>
I'll throw in my two cents about the Otterbox Defender. Had one on my Moto X Pure last year. It's definitely tough and handled drops well, but if a single drop of water gets under the built-in screen protector, the phone is useless until you crack the case open and dry it. I eventually threw it out for a generic TPU case when the rubber part started peeling.
>>
File: sonim bolt.jpg (70KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
sonim bolt.jpg
70KB, 1000x750px
>>1028025
I'm no expert on phones, but I REALLY like my Sonim bolt. I got it used from a guy who dropped 2 tonnes of rebar on it from a forklift by accident. Know what happened? Nothing. The phone is fine. The case that it was in got kinda dented, but the phone itself is totally fine.
>Let my dog chew on for a while. Totally fine.
>Threw it as hard as I could into a tree. Totally fine.
>Waded across rivers with it in my pocket. Totally fine.
>Left it on a workbench where we were cutting wood with a table saw. Got gunked up with sawdust, but I hosed it off. Totally fine.
>Lasts two weeks on a single charge.
>Makes men with lesser phones tremble in fear.
>My phone makes me lord of all I survey.
That got a bit memey towards the end there, but you get the point.
>>
Eh, feel like achieving durability for these little brick phones is easier than durable smart phones. The difficulty is having durability w/o having to click 142 times for a 4 words text message on 1.5 x 1 screen.
>>
>>1028799
I normally just use the Commuter cases and they hold up to all the usual drops. I have a bad habit of getting out of my truck with the phone on my lap and it falls like 7' straight onto the asphalt.

I have a Defender sitting in the package but I feel like even the Commuter takes a good beating.

Waterproof? Ehh, not really. But most phones can hold up to a quick dip in water or some heavy rain anyway. At least the iPhones can.
>>
Didn't you make this thread on /g/ also? I remember seeing it yesterday or the day before.
>>
>>1028666

I used to work at a place where we fixed ruggedized gear that was supposedly ip67 or better. We got stuff with water damage all the time, especially salt water damage. These ratings vs real world wear tear and use are two totally different things.
>>
>>1028059

Why are you even posting here, crybaby?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.