[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gear Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 53

File: camping-gear.jpg (350KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
camping-gear.jpg
350KB, 680x453px
So I have this idea for a thread where clueless people can ask for advice about gear in a single place and for people to discuss which things are best for which situations and which goals.
Since we all have different goals and we are going to different environments, then it'd be good to specify where are you going, what are you worried about, and if there are better alternatives for what might seem standard stuff (eg tent vs tarp, sleeping bag vs quilt, etc).
>>
>>1018210
Good idea. You are truly a visionary
>>
File: FHFPQS3HJKBU117.LARGE.jpg (150KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
FHFPQS3HJKBU117.LARGE.jpg
150KB, 1024x768px
I'm going camping in the PNW sometime in the summer, I expect to be rained out for at least 2 of the 5 days we are there (Cape Scott). Anyone have advice on tarp shelters? I'm bringing along 2 tarps (12x10 and a smaller one) and I figured I could use the smaller as a ground floor and possibly forgo a tent all together. My main concerns are that some sites will involve me setting up shelter on sand and beach and I'd have to deal with wind and possibly horizontal rain. Moreover, having never camped out in bear, cougar and wolf country I'm kind of spooked by the idea of them coming by at night out of curiosity and maybe trying to eat me because of the opening at the front
>>
>>1018210
i'm going /out/, what do i need?
>>
>>1018424
Well first of all i am sure 2 waterproof tarps wiill be much lighter than a tent. But wolves are naturally repelled by tents and not tarps. So thats a hard one. Have you considered a hammock?
>>
>>1018427
I've considered a hammock but I've never done hammock camping before (A frame overhead for rain and bug net would be comfy as hell though). Mind you the trip will be with a couple of good friends of mine and we opted for a 6 man tent for 5 people (had the tent already so saving money). While I'm not against the idea I can already see us fumbling over setting it up right away, especially in the bad situations. With a tarp everyone could set up quickly and have a little bit of privacy but my concern is again animals and whatnot
>>
>>1018431
Hammocks are going to be less prone to animals than a tarp, with the added benefit of keeping you dry(er). That being said, by the time you get a hammock+rainfly you're in it for more money and probably more weight (although not a huge amount) than just doing a tarp.

Hammocks have the option of adding a bugnet if you're going anywhere with biting insects, which is an advantage, but require properly spaced (not too close together, which is usually my problem) trees to set up.

You can get a legitimately good hammock for around $50, or if you have access to a sewing machine you can make a legitimately good hammock for around $20 (or a meh one for under $10). The expense is a bugnet that's actually worth having, since your cheapo Coghlan's cot nets are too short to work worth a shit and the prefabbed ones designed for hammocks start at an additional $50. Though you could make your own, it takes a bit more skill than the hammock itself (which is literally just 4 straight runs of stitching to bind the edges if you do a lashed-end hammock, even a 3rd grader could do that) and the base materials are slightly pricier.

I will mention that hammocks aren't for everyone--I'm one of them. They fuck my back up, doesn't matter if it's a canvas sailor's hammock with spreader bar on my porch or a backpacking hammock set up by a hammock guru in the woods. And I'm not alone in that. But if they're comfy for you, they're a great option.
>>
File: 82nRPZM.jpg (280KB, 1362x2046px) Image search: [Google]
82nRPZM.jpg
280KB, 1362x2046px
>>1018457
Thanks for the insight anon. Until recently I never viewed a hammock as a legitimate way to camp because of the reliance on trees to get the shelter going, when I was small I used to fall asleep on my grandma's hammock all the time in the backyard albeit this was in a warmer climate in the Pacific. The mindset when I immigrated over was camping=tent like how I'd see it in the movies. While not so experienced in camping and backpacking I started to meet and talk to campers who did tenting, tarping and hammocking and their experiences piqued my interest and they're the reason why I want to become more invested into this hobby . Each one has it's own merits and I'm glad that a place like this exists for us to talk about it and share ideas,that makes me kind of glorify this board and just forgoing all the other forums altogether
>>
>>1018210

I never been /out/ before, can I wear crocs for my footwear?
>>
>>1018485
I would wear 100% wool socks with them.
>>
>>1018424
Please don't take a blue Walmart tarp on a trip that you know in advance will be rainy, especially if you know nothing about tarping. As for pitching on the beach, you would always have the option to just walk inland 200 yards or so to find soil, but personally, I'd just bring a tent. Sleeping on sand is comfy as fuck. And I say that as someone who mainly camps under a tarp.
>>
File: 1495110414599.jpg (46KB, 672x372px) Image search: [Google]
1495110414599.jpg
46KB, 672x372px
>>1018210
So lately i've been seeing those Decathlon tents get shilled on my facebook. They are supposed to keep your tent cool and dark during days due to ventilation system and isolation. I'm seriously thinking of getting one. Any thoughts?
>>
>>1018577
Saw them yesterday. They looks nice and but they are round when folded up. Unfortunatly that makes it very difficult to backpack with.
>>
>>1018578
>round when folded up
Those are only the throwing tents. They also have 2 man Trekking tents. I wish they had a 1 man.
>>
>>1018582
Oops, I figured you were talking about the ones in the image you posted. Again, they're difficult to backpack with.

I am actually buying one of those 2-man trekking tents soon. I'll be backpacking coast-to-coast in Scotland for a full month with the girlfriend. Hopefully it holds up. Over here they have one set up in the store and it looks decent.
>>
>>1018585
>tfw no /out/ gf to take on my Danube kayaking tour

cheers to you.
>>
>>1018592
Spend a couple of weeks in Austria. The Danube is a beautiful river. Have fun bro.

Could you tell me a bit more about the trip? Would love to do it myself.
>>
I am currently thinking about starting a pack, I barely have any gear. Maybe like 3-4 /out/ things.

What are some things that I should get? I don't have a lot of money, but I don't want to get a bunch of junk or very heavy shit.

I live in FL and plan on going to the north of the state to camp in whatever national forest I can. In the future (whenever I have a chance) I will be traveling to other states with deeper woods.

Also shoot me over a pack recommendation, I don't have one either. I will probably be staying at the locations for several days (a couple at the least) and 1 or 2 weeks at most.
>>
>>1018426
Gear
>>
>>1018490
For sure anon. I'm going to bring along the tarps anyway,I'm going to give it a test run for maybe one night and see how it'll go. The tent will be there if I ever feel like the tarp won't work out
>>
>>1018426
Positive attitude
>>
>>1018593
Basically I'm planning to go from vienna to the black sea. Might take me about 3 to 4 weeks. I have no kayak experience whatsoever. I am a EU citizen so boarders won't be much of a problem. I really love the balkans though and I am planning to stay a couple of days in each major city that is connected to the river like Bratislava, Budapest and Belgrade. It's gonna be tough for sure because it's a huge river that is used by big commercial freighters and even piracy is a thing. But there is a lot of beautiful nature to be seen and adventure to be had.
>>
>>1018787
Oh damn, that sounds awesome. Good luck bro, be sure to post here when you get back.

What is the legal side of this all? The Danube goes through Budapest, Linz, Vienna etc. Those are big cities with heavy traffic.. can you just kayak along without Police taking you out?
>>
>>1018796
you can't just kayak through the city center legally. I don't where I'm gonna store my boat but there are some kayak schools that might take me in.

I will post for sure. It's part of a longer journey I have planned. Gonna hitchhike and stealthcamp through turkey and then Georgia and then catch a ferry to Kazakhstan going further east to china
>>
I lost my nalgene bottle a couple months ago and k want to replace it. Should I get another regular nalgene widemouth, the softer one, or a platypus?
>>
>>1018829
If you like hard bottles, get another widemouth Nalgene.

The platypus unbottles are...weird. Nice to drink from, but kind of a pain in the ass to get in and out of water bottle pockets. They're slightly lighter (less than an ounce) if that matters, at the cost of being SIGNIFICANTLY less durable.

As to whether you get the poly Nalgene or a Lexan, I'd go with lexan. You can put shit other than water in it without it staining or absorbing flavors, and is significantly more impact resistant.
>>
>>1018424
Check out tarp tents, for example a tipi tarp like the smd lunar solo
>>
>>1018424
Check out tarp tents, for example a tipi tarp like the smd lunar solo
>>
>>1018426
Warm socks
>>
I'm looking for some neat cooking kits, to be used on gas or open flame. Lighter is better but that is pretty irrelevant to me. Something that won't break the bank. Any recommendations /out/?
>>
File: 150271-27-1HA.png (111KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
150271-27-1HA.png
111KB, 600x350px
For 2-3 day trips, would something like a Trangia 27 kit be okay? I was looking at the hard-anodized non-stick ones specifically.

I was also looking at one of those woodgas burning stoves, but they are half the cost of the Trangia kit and don't even come with any cookwear, plus there doesn't seem to be any way to control the heat output on them.

Please no suggestions for any of that ultra-light jetboil or whatever bullshit, I'm not taking along a bunch of boil-in-bag stuff that is the backwoods equivalent of going out for McDonalds.
>>
File: PC050014-Large.jpg (79KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
PC050014-Large.jpg
79KB, 1024x768px
>>1019121
topkek

I am going backpacking with the gf for a month and this (plus some cutlery) is all I'm taking.
>>
Thanks for the input. I'll probably order a new one tonight
>>
File: BF-Eintopf_04.jpg (199KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
BF-Eintopf_04.jpg
199KB, 700x525px
>>1019121
should be good
i have a similar set that is 2 pots with 2 lids that double as pans / cups. 800ml and 600ml in volume is around the size of a big can of food. it works great but if you do a lot of activity its basically one meal per pot.
so when i go out with my friend we cook twice and share or eat one after the other. you can also make a diy penny stove so you can use 2 burners at the same time if you can build a second stand.
also alcohol stoves a godlike.
>>
File: haafc70002_4143_06_nl.jpg (38KB, 580x580px) Image search: [Google]
haafc70002_4143_06_nl.jpg
38KB, 580x580px
Just bought these guys for 130 eur (150 usd). They should be perfect for a 200 mile hike through the Scotish lowlands.
>>
I need a backpack that I can use for outdoors and commuting as well.

Which one would you choose?

The unknown brand koala-gear "Joey" or the trusted Swiss brand Mammut?

https://www.mammut.ch/CH/de_CH/internal-Category/Packs-and-Bags/Climbing-Packs-and-Bags/Climbing-Packs/Seon-Transporter/p/2510-03910-0051-1171

https://www.koala-gear.com/collections/frontpage/products/joey-the-backpack-that-gives-your-body-a-break

Regarding outdoors I only go for 1 day so a normal backpack is enough for me. I lake to take camera and other stuff so rain protection is great as well. When I am in the city I might need the anti theft features of the Joey backack. So which one?
>>
>>1019463
I was at an outdoor store yesterday and spotted some pretty nice looking The North Face bags. Decent 35 liter sizes, too. Definetly a quality brand and normies won't look at you strange.
>>
Guys, I'm REAL close to pulling the trigger on a Seekoutside Silvertip 2

Can anyone suggest a BETTER alterative?

>2 man
>tipi tent with single pole / single pole+extender
>pull outs on the sides
>stove jack
>under 1kg
>>
>>1019474
>>
>>1019463
any suggestions?
>>
Does anybody have experience with the Eureka! Solitare?
>>
>>1019543
The fiberglass poles are shit, but the tent is good if you don't mind being confined to a coffin-sized tube. Personally I do mind, but it served me well before I replaced it, and for a pretty good price.
>>
>>1019543
Yes. They're solidly built for the most part but ridiculously heavy for what they are.

Replace the fiberglass poles and its a solid bargain tent.
>>
>>1018210
I'm completely new to backpacking although I've been hiking and camping before. I'm about to go on my first backpacking overnight memorial weekend.

Rate my purchases:
>Osprey Aether 60L pack for $80
>Kelty Cosmic Down 20 sleeping bag for $130
>REI Quarter Dome 2 tent for $260
>Sawyer Squeeze filter for $40

I feel bad about the Sawyer but think I did pretty good with the others.
>>
>>1019121
Good choice, that's fine for even way longer trips with a wide spectrum of seasons, weather conditions and altitude. Be sure to get plastic utensils so you don't scrape the surface.

You sound like you're doing real cooking like porridge and the like. Which is good and more power to you. Myself I'd rather not haul all those meal building blocks along and clean the pans after, so I just do freeze dried i.e. I basically just have to boil water and the meals are pretty light to carry, which simplifies the kit choice.
>>
File: ARC.511-4.jpg (152KB, 639x800px) Image search: [Google]
ARC.511-4.jpg
152KB, 639x800px
>>1019463
>>1019518
Looking at their style and prices I would rather go with pic related.
>>
>>1019611
>Osprey Aether 60L pack for $80
seems a nice deal to me.
>>
>>1019611
Good bargains on everything but the Sawyer, but why such a warm sleeping bag?
>>
>>1019625
I wanted a down sleeping bag and Kelty Cosmic was one of the cheapest and highly reviewed ones.

It's roomy so I hear it's not very warm around 20 degrees and is actually more like a 30 degree bag.
>>
>>1019571
1,5 kilo sounds pretty damn light to me mate
>>
I need a small-ish bag that I can use for carrying shit from my main ruck during the day. Bonus points for being able to wrap it up really small when it's empty.

Something like a normie's gym bag, but preferably made of something that won't sound like a plastic bag when I'm walking around with it.

Gonna be using it not only to carry shit, but also to use as a rifle rest while I'm away from camp and actually hunting.
>>
>>1019543
Needs a front porch area
>>
>>1019735

These are groovy
>>
How is this rain jacket supposed to fit? I got tried a large one on but it was really big on me, so I went with a medium one and it feels nice, but the bottom of it kind of hugs my hips, like a regular snug fitting soft shell. Is that okay for a rain jacket or should I get the larger one? Pic related REI talusphere jacket
>>
File: IMG_5583.jpg (27KB, 279x440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5583.jpg
27KB, 279x440px
>>1019804
Woops
>>
File: pikau-bag[1].jpg (596KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
pikau-bag[1].jpg
596KB, 600x600px
>>1019795
That's pretty much what I'm looking for, although I'm not a fan of the colors they're offering. What's the exterior made of? Is it noisy?

Something I was looking at was pic related, but I'd have to get it shipped from NZ. 25L capacity. The fleece/felt stuff it's made of might not be durable enough, though. Final price would be something like a little over $50 USD.
>>
>>1019474
anyone?
>>
anybody have recommendations for a compact but very loud whistle?
>>
>>1019804
With rain jackets, the larger one always wins. Don't be like me and get stuck with a small one. The reason you want the wide hip spaces is whilst you walk, the bottom of a hip-hugger will ride up to about your bellybutton. As this happens during rain, this will always lead to an exposed and wet undershirt.

Big is better.
>>
>>1019899
Thank you, im gonna go switch it
>>
Need some advice on binoculars. Buying my first pair and need some handy binoculars that will be used for scouting mountainsides and forests. Was thinking 10x42 or something like that, but anyone have any advice?
>>
File: c2a9iancorless-com-img_5434.jpg (487KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
c2a9iancorless-com-img_5434.jpg
487KB, 800x533px
I enjoy hiking, but rarely go on multi-day trips. Usually I just take my boots, but I've been thinking about getting something lighter. Trail running shoes seem to be popular ever for people who really just do trail walking. Any thoughts about this? Very tempting to reduce shoe weight from 800 to 200 grams.
>>
>>1019926
if you don't need the ankle support, go for it.

would recommend a pair of gaiters though, unless you like ticks and stones in your shoes
>>
>wants to use a tarp while in black bear, cougar, wolf and occasionally grizzly territory
Don't do it, you might as well bbq some juicy steaks and smoke some salmon in a tent. Both ideas are of similar stupidity.
>>
>>1019804
You want it loose so you can add layers if it gets cold or rains sideways so hard that water soaks through
>>
>>1020494
This is the anon who asked that tarp tent question btw

After giving it much thought we're sticking to a tent now
>>
>>1020500
because a tent offers way more security than a tarp tent? KEK
>>
File: Fjallraven-Vidda-Pro1.jpg (26KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
Fjallraven-Vidda-Pro1.jpg
26KB, 850x850px
Are these worth the price? ($170 CAD)

All I have is jeans at the moment and I want some good hiking pants for going /out/
>>
>>1020562

Chinese-made polycotton pants. No, they're not worth it.
>>
MLD prophet. Yay or nay?
>>
>>1020233
Coat the gaiters in tea tree oil or other repellant. Cannot stress this enough. It's the only perk I know for the permeable fabric gaiters.
>>
>>1020562
You can find them cheaper. Would link but don't want to shill up the board.Yes, they're worth it. The build quality is good despite chinacraft. Let's be honest, if you didn't want to dump money you'd go milsurp. I have a decent amount of that brands gear if you have any questions. Some of it is great, some of it is horrid and must be avoided.
>>
>>1019677
For whats basically a bivvy its pretty heavy. However the truly light ones (1lb/~0.4 kilo) ones are 4-6x as expensive. Also, for ~$20USD you can swap to aluminum poles and save about 4oz.
>>
>>1019735
Marmot Compressor or TNF Litus 22. Both available in black or slate grey.
>>
>>1019909
I recommend either 7x or 8x. 42mm objective is pretty much the sweet spot. Assuming you get ones with decent lenses 7x is actually better for picking out details than 10x, cuz you can hold them more steady.

Alternatively, get a 10x pair, a tripod adaptor, and a trekking pole with a 8x32 optics stud on top of the grip and use it as a monopod for extra steadying.

If you're doing serious glassing get an actual tripod though, they greatly reduce arm/neck/eye strain.
>>
File: GIN3B.jpg (53KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
GIN3B.jpg
53KB, 333x500px
I need to replace my winter parka. What's worthwhile bang for my buck regarding arctic surplus/retail jackets? I was considering an N3B for the lined snorkel hood but if there's a better choice I'd like to hear it. Thank you.
>>
>>1019121
The nonstick coating on my Trangia is slowly beginning to wear out. If I were you I'd get the anodized alu one and not the teflon one.
Other than that Trangia seems like a good choise for you. Its not a light system, but on the other hand it lets you do more "real" cooking and is very fool proof. Should be more than adequate for 1 person - I usually count a trangia as cooking gear for 2 or 3 people, depending on the model
>>
Guys do I really need hydration bladders for multi day hikes? I was thinking of getting many many metal canteens instead because I like metal canteens.

Also can I just ask if waterproof boots are a meme? Do they hold up to like crossing of small streams, rain, etc? I read some reviews of some like the Salomon gtx thing and they seem solid.
>>
>>1020850
Help an anon out, I just want some quality gear so I don't have to repurchase in the case I want to upgrade, I'd rather just buy the good shit now
>>
>>1021443
>Also can I just ask if waterproof boots are a meme?

The only waterproof boot that's any good in water that goes above your ankle is a solid pull-on jackboot or wellington.
>>
>>1021287
>>>/fa/
>>>/lgbt/
>>
Is Its okay to buy gear from AliExpress?
>>
>>1021443
>Guys do I really need hydration bladders for multi day hikes? I was thinking of getting many many metal canteens instead because I like metal canteens.

If you prefer metal canteens then take metal canteens. Just know that they'll be harder to use and heavier. Do what you enjoy while sc/out/ing so long as it doesn't bother those around you. Have you done a multiday yet?
>>
>>1021454
>/k/ directs him to /out/
>/out/ directs him to /fa/
Just try reddit anon.
>>
>>1021443
>>1021494
Plastic bottles are a thing too.

Also "waterproof" can mean many things. Goretex works for rain and such (for a while), but I find it terrible to clean from mud etc. Good leather will work fine, but take a while to dry when you do get it wet... Neither will protect you when you're wading through water and both will leak eventually.
>>
>>1021485
Not really. I might buy shit like shirts from there but there's just no quality assurance. Maybe if you were an ultrapoorfag and it was your only chance at getting /out/ and you needed 1 or 2 pieces of bargain basement gear.
>>1021502
>neither will protect you when wading through water and both will leak eventually
>several manufacturers make Goretex chest waders with 5-10 year warranties
Pick one
>>
File: Therm-A-Rest - Trail Pro.jpg (98KB, 1480x1111px) Image search: [Google]
Therm-A-Rest - Trail Pro.jpg
98KB, 1480x1111px
Anyone have any experience with ThermARest - Trail Pro?
>>
>>1021508
Yes.

Don't buy military surplus ones, even if they're new they will have been stored super shitty and delaminate the first time you use it.
>>
>>1019792
i got the eureka dream lake 2 its very similar and also got a front porch area. its very big and heavy for 2 people ( 4 kg total if you take everything), but perfect for bikepacking as you can store stuff inside. 3 men fit ok if middle guy sleeps with the head in the other direction. manlets can sleep on the porch if they fit 170 x 100 or less.

great tent got at sale for 130 too
>>
>>1020562
They're a good go-to pant for most /out/ activities, At least here in Scandinavian climate. Although if you're looking for trousers specifically for - hiking - you mind want to also check out other models than the Vidda Pro. Dont get me wrong I've hiked a lot in my Vidda Pro's but it's nice to have ventilation zippers, stretch fabric, lighter fabric etc. when hiking - depending on temperature of course.

Fjallraven's top-of-the-line (and most expencive, I believe) trousers are the Keb-trousers, which are made with hiking in mind, but there are plenty of alternatives out there.

I have had a pair of Vidda Pro's for many years that I've used for all kinds of activities including hiking and they have never let me down. Today I tend to use my Keb trousers for hiking and the Vidda's for all other things.

Feel free to ask me anything.
>>
>>1018594
Anybody?
>>
>>1021572
>>1018594
well what kind of stuff do you plan on doing ? day trips? week long treks? car camping? the best gear is always dependant on the situation. ( region, season, length of stay, amount of people, level of comfort, aktivities)

anyways online sales /ebay / second hand stores in the rich neighbourhood are always great.

get stuff that's a few season older it will be a lot cheaper and still plenty good. backpacks you kinda need to try on just like shoes.

best to read up here this should help you a lot.
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/camping.html
>>
>>1018594
You can do a lot ot camping with just regular clothes but there are a few things thats really nice to have.
I'd say get some proper footwear, a pair af outdoor pants, a good backpack (that means good hip-support!) and sleeping stuff depending on your preferences. If bugs are a cencern maybe hammock and tarp and bug net. I'm from scandinavia so I really dont know about how things are in Florida, but I suspect tropical climate (wet, hot)?
>>
>>1019898
Dive whistles are loud asf and about the size of your thumb
>>
>>1021508
Massive pack size compared to similarly priced, similarly warm self inflating mats, but comfier
I got one on the cheap that i take car camping, but i wouldnt dream of hiking with it
>>
>>1019121
You can cook better with a canister stove, not necessarily a jet boil, since you can adjust the gas output valve. With alcohol, it's low heat or no heat.
>>
>>1021586
>well what kind of stuff do you plan on doing
Just regular hiking, backpacking, and camping.

>day trips? week long treks? car camping?
More like a couple of days, up to a week or more.
I would not be car camping.

>always dependant on the situation
I live in Florida, so it's a warmer climate.

I would definitely look into some used gear but I wouldn't know what to get exactly. New to this whole thing honestly.

Thanks!

>>1021593
Yea those are all things that I need. I have a hammock but it doesn't have a bug net.

Florida is humid, hot, and their are plenty of insects. It is definitely semi-tropical. I hate this type of weather, must be nice in your country.

Cheers my friend. Thanks!
>>
>>1021661
What's the better option when hiking/backpacking?
>>
>>1021679
Your welcome.
Well, since we're talking wet-warm I guess that you would want some kind of either light jungle boot or trail running shoe. I know that the US army jungle boot has been a favorite of Ray Mears and can - or at least could - be found at good prices. But he might be talking about an old model, I don't know. I'm not sure if you should go for gore-tex or not. On one hand gore-tex will keep your feet dry in most rainfall and wet ground but on the other hand boots without a membrane will dry quicker once wet and be more pleasant in the warmth. Wear proper hiking socks!

In warm temperatures I don't think you need a lot of specialized clothing. Light, strong, quick drying clothes that can protect you from insects, thorns and the sun would of course be optimal. But if those arent terrible you can just as well hike around in a pair of running shorts and a t-shirt.

Hammock seems like the way to go then. Then you just need a light tarp around 3x3 meters or so, some cordage and the bug net if there's mosqutoes or other nasty things. A light sleeping bag too - go for synthetic: it's more heavy than down but handles wetness much better and is cheaper. A fleece shirt for the evenings.

About the bag I won't go into specific brands, but be sure to try several onces on before you buy one. For warm climates I think a backpack in the size of about 40-60 liters should be fine, unless you want to carry several extra sets of clothing or other unnessesary things. As I wrote before it is crucial that it has good hip support.
>>
>>1021507
>Comparing waders with boots
Anon pls.
>>
>>1021698
In the price range, id personally go for a thermarest prolite plus. Just as warm, packs half the size and weighs a lot less. Its less comfortable though, the evolite or evolite plus will be better for that. If you dont mind blowing it up yourself a klymit static v or thermarest neoair trekker/all season.
I know a few people who get along with exped insulated mats, but to me they seem really heavy for their warmth - worth doing your research and seeing what works for you
>>
>>1018468
Hammocks can be rigged on poles where there aren't trees available, or between two vehicles, or any combination thereof. I've even seen people use climbing equipment to fasten one end to a rock wall.

>>1018594
I really depends on what you're doing, where you're doing it and how much you know; I've done trips with nothing but a ground pad and fishing pole and been fine for a week, but that's always mid-summer, dry weather, good fishing and knowing that there's berries there. I own several packs, and what I use depends on how much I need to carry. The only thing I'd really recommend is to have a way to purify water.

>>1018829
Dasani/Smart Water bottles are lighter, more shatter resistant, but easier to poke holes through. It's a trade-off, but it's my preference.

>>1021443
The primary advantage to bladders is that they keep what should be your heaviest item (water) closer to your center of gravity (on your back); this helps with both balance and endurance. Plus, you can toss some ice in there and keep your back cool while you're hiking. If you prefer bottles, carry bottles, but I'd recommend strapping them tight to the front or sides of your pack. Water proof boots tend to not breathe well, and you still end up with wet feet from perspiration; I wear Brooks Cascadias, which dry pretty quickly if they do get wet.

>>1021445
Most people do this, but then realize that they don't want what they thought they did out their gear. For instance, I used to use a high-end inflatable pad, but after patching several holes in the dark, I switched to a cheap CCF pad from WM that I'm much happier with.
>>
>>1021757
Thanks I'll check those out
>>
>>1021724
I think a light jungle boot might be best, I would imagine that it could also serve me well in other areas. I am gonna stay in my state for now but eventually I plan on going to other states.

I think I'll go with pants also, someone recommended that I use fishing pants. Don't know how good they would be, but afaik they dry fast and are light.

I am either considering a full hammock setup or a MSR tent.

How would I go about trying them?
Maybe buying and returning through Amazon. I would also have to put them with a full load.
I am not gonna keep like 4 sets of clothes, and other junk. I'll have a backup pair, and the essentials.

>>1021760
I'll look into having several packs, there would be no reason to take a 50 or 60 L on a 3 day trip.
I have water purification tablets, and am looking into either a Sawyer Mini or LifeStraw.
>>
>>1021445
Massdrop, but shipping takes forever and stock is in cycles. You will have to wait. Twice. You can get the regular kebs for $124.You'll shed a decent amount of cash off the purchase, though.

Moosejaw runs sales around 20 to 30% off. Subject to timing. Good company. No downsides.

Moosejaw has Prana Stretch Zion convertibles for $60, ATM, anons
>>
File: SPC136-2_front_grande.png (277KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
SPC136-2_front_grande.png
277KB, 600x600px
What kind of hat would /out/ recommend?
>>
File: Autism.png (235KB, 433x402px) Image search: [Google]
Autism.png
235KB, 433x402px
>>1021853
I've used a Sawyer Mini for a few years and love it. I carry an eye dropper with bleach and a steel cookpot to boil water as backups.

>>1021889
I wonder if they make pic related in camo?
>>
>>1018594
my recommendation would be to get a quality pack and spend the extra bucks. A lot of great sales going on too right now. Could easily take a 40-50L bag and make it work for almost any situation. Osprey is definitely my favorite brand and will have that lifetime guarantee. 48L Kestrel is currently on sale at backcountry.com for like 135 bucks too.. a great bag for a steal.

Depending on weather you will also most likely need a sleeping bag and pad, as well as a form of shelter (tent/ hammock and tarp / tarp)
>>
File: 1493601780004.png (533KB, 664x839px) Image search: [Google]
1493601780004.png
533KB, 664x839px
would a good inflatable pad (say a klymit) be much more comfortable than my thermarest z-lite?
>>
>>1021954
Those purification tablets that I have, plus the Sawyer Mini seems like it would be perfect for me.

I guess the tablets would be for emergencies, and the Sawyer if there is fresh running water?

>>1021958
I don't mind paying a bit for a good pack, it's basically the core of everything. Would 50L be good for long trips?

It's hot as fuck in FL, I wouldn't need a sleeping bag. I have a hammock (Has no bug net) but I am also thinking about getting a MSR tent.
I will definitely need a pad if I am going to be sleeping in a tent.
>>
>>1020558
I guess so? Either way, we're still all going to bring tarps because of how rained out the area is for most of the year, if anything we could set up dry areas right outside of the tent using tarps to just cook food under or hang out in to ride out the rain
>>
>>1021967
As long as you backflow your filter every few litres (depending on sediment), and don't let it freeze, it'll last you for years. It's always a good idea to have a backup or two also, so I'd keep the tabs in the medkit.

If you go solo, having a completely separate medkit with an extra lighter, tablets, emergency blanket, snap razor, etc will give you the absolute minimum necessary to get by with, even if you get separated from the rest of your gear. Just make sure that you always carry it on you, regardless of how far away from camp you are.
>>
>>1021972
Great advice, will definitely do this.

Honestly I don't know if I would leave all my shit behind while I explore, don't know if I trust my stuff alone.
Woods here are not very deep.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/florida
These are the ones in my state.

Also need to be careful because it looks like these have a lot of water.
>>
How do I deal with feet humidity? Like if I hike for 2 hours my feet are all pruny because of how hot my boots are

I feel like I I hike longer I'll blister up, should I just stop hiking until it's winter?
>>
>>1021746
>implying the goretex has fuck-all to do with the difference
>>
>>1021975
>I don't know if I would leave all my shit behind
I tend to get comfortable with it if I'm the only one around. But getting lost or twisting an ankle is always a possibility, so I make sure to carry the basics.

>>1021993
>feet humidity?
Consider switching to a trail runner, they're lighter, more comfortable (no blisters), and they breathe pretty well.
>>
>>1021993
Use good wicking socks (merino wool or mostly-merino-wool+synthetic blend). Don't have to be particularly thick, but switching to socks that actually gets the sweat off your feet helps immensely.
>>
>>1022054
I can't really buy new shoes right now and I don't know if runner shoes have traction, I had some regular running shoes before and I was sliding all over the place hiking before I got the boots. It's just that the boots get really hot.
>>1022075
Okay I'll do that, should I switch socks in the middle of a hike? Like put on fresh ones or is that too much and the Merino ones will be fine?

I'm only asking gbecause I plan on going on longer hikes and I know I'll blister up and have no idea how to deal with a blister midhike
>>
>>1021965
Yes
>>1021993
>>1022106
Merinobro has got it right, a quality sock will make all the difference, but something id recommend trying is a polyester liner sock (with a thinner merino outer). If you feel youre too sweaty just change liner socks, feels good as new. A merino outer wont stink for days if you cycle two or three liner socks, and ive never got a blister with it - i think the socks tend to rub against eachother rather than your foot. My mate puts baby powder on his feet every time he changes socks as well - not something i get along with but if youre prone to blisters its worth a go
>>
>>1022014
It does. Goretex boots usually suffer from membrane failure at the forefoot. Waders don't have stress points like that.
Also, low boots cannot protect you while wading (which was what I was trying to say) but that's obvious.
>>
>>1022115
Done this as well. Great advise!
>>
>>1021557
>>1021887
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out on massdrop, but for the meantime I found a pair of tru-spec 24-7 pants for $40. Hopefully those will do for camping/hiking/whatever

At least better than jeans
>>
>>1022054
Thing is that there is a lot of people, especially normies that go /out/doors in FL.
And if I have expensive gear I would hate for somebody to steal it.

If I was in an unpopulated area with dense woods I totally would.
>>
Brit /out/doorsman here.

I'm looking for a tent for 2 people (3 man, as I want some extra space) for occasional camping.

My budget is up to £50, and I'm thinking of getting the Vangoo Soul 300, which I can get for £42 with a discount code.

Would you recommend it, or perhaps you might have any other suggestions?

http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/255757-vango-soul-300-3-person-tent-green.html
>>
>>1022378
>£50
Might as well get a cardboard box instead and save the money

Joking aside, it's not going to be anything amazing, so if it turns out to be shit, just get another one
>>
>>1021889
Boonie hat
>wide brim for dat sun protection
>adjustable chin/neck strap so it doesn't blow off or get lost when you tip your kayak or whatever
>no hard structure so plays nice with tall or overstuffed packs, and can be balled up and stuck in a pocket
>well ventilated
>bugproof
>cheap af
>available in pretty much every camo pattern made and dozens of solid colors
>>
>>1022127
Thats not a failure of the goretex, it's a flaw in design and/or you not cleaning your boots properly/regularly.

I have a pair of Matterhorn combat boots with goretex that have seen 11 winters of goopy assed mud, I clean them properly tho and they're still completely waterproof. I also have a pair of Vasque mid height hiking boots with 9 years on them, same shit.

The only waterproof boots Ive ever had stop being waterproof were a pair of Merrels I put half a hundred cactus spines through the side of.
>>
I recently got into camping and have been wondering what the best tent and mess kit would be for my buck
>>
>>1022473
REI Quarter Dome is on sale right now. Hands down the best.
I have the Half Dome for me and my girl, It's wonderful. Great beach tent, great /out/ tent.
Worth the investment.
GET A FOOTPRINT.
30 bucks and it saves your tent.
It is replaceable - the bottom of your tent is not.
>>
I could really do with some help /out/

I've been backpacking for a while, and really really want to transition to trekking

the issue is that I weigh 60KG, and I'm truly struggling to reduce the weight of my pack to a safe or at least a sensible level

the weight of water and food is what's really killing me, my bag is approaching half my body weight even without a tent and other camping gear and I'm getting friction burns on my hips (which are thin) and sore knees/ankles/lower back because of the weight going downhill
a better bag might help, but the root cause is I'm overloaded

I'm used to camping and walking, but have little experience going unsupported

Not sure if a hammock would actually save any appreciable weight, because I'd need ropes, a mosquito net AND a tarp as well; and at that point a tent would make more sense

if it helps I'm in a tropical zone with serious malaria threat, bottled gas is rarely available and ready-to-eat packaged food seems to be almost entirely junk food
>>
>>1022378
yea at that price just buy anything because it's going to be a POS.
>>
>>1019456
I have bought a pair of Meindel hiking boots almost 10 years ago. They are still good and I wore them a lot.
>>
>>1023628
Yeah so far they've been great. Gonna drop them off at the local schoemaker to stretch it up around my small toe today. Should be fine after that.
>>
File: Hiking Boots.jpg (247KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Hiking Boots.jpg
247KB, 1200x800px
Tried a bunch of hiking boots recently, are the creasing down near the toes a normal thing for boots? Seems every type I tried had that no matter if they were to tight, good fit or loose
>>
>>1023854
Yeah, that's normal.

Btw, don't but those Salomons. They're garbage. I got a pair last fall that started leaking after three months. After five months, the soles were coming off in four places, and now they soak completely through with water within about 45 minutes of being in the rain. I got a free replacement pair, so I'll see if it's a common trend, but I fully expect this pair to fall apart too.

They're extraordinarily comfortable at first, but it's not worth it.
>>
>>1023611
Look at your big three (backpack, tent, and sleeping bag). See if there is anywhere you can save some weight.

Water: Will always weigh the same, so only savings to be made are from taking less. How much water are you carrying? Maybe you can save some weight by carrying less water and bringing water treatment.

Food: More calorie dense food. Salami, nuts, etc are good. Junk food isn't that bad when you are hiking because you are burning off the calories.

Cooking: what type of stove/fuel are you using? Can you consolidate cookware so you are carrying less?

Beyond that, make sure you are packing your backpack correctly. Heavy things should be lower and closer to your back. This makes a huge difference in how heavy the pack feels when you're on the trail if you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>1019474
>under one kg

Fucking what?? How much does it cost?
>>
>>1023957
They are quite spendy, more if you want a bug net or floor.

Probably like 600$?

Bangin tents though.used by lots of hunters and people that winter camp/trek.
>>
File: COPPERSPURHV2_Orange-001[1].jpg (626KB, 3751x2550px) Image search: [Google]
COPPERSPURHV2_Orange-001[1].jpg
626KB, 3751x2550px
I just bought pic related.

Did I do good?
>>
>>1023854
I still go with Merrel Moab Mid Goretex. I live in SC and we flooded 2 years back in some parts and when I wore them out and got them soaked I never had any leaking issues and that was after consistent daily wear when they were pretty much my only shoes. I changed the insoles but I do that with all of my shoes. Won't bother with another pair.
>>
>>1024154
nope. you did terrible. you should send it to me so i can properly dispose of it for you.
>>
>>1021661
I'm a big guy, so comfort is more important to me than width of my rolled up sleeping mat. It's on the outside of my pack already, plus it's nice to have in the hammock, once camp's set up.

I've had numerous types of ground insulation, and the trail pro has the best weight/comfort so far.
>>
>>1023854
Get your feet properly measured, i have a feeling youve got long toes and will need boots with a last to match that

>>1023870
Its a shame you had such a bad experience with them, but theres a reason theyre one of the most popular boots in the world boyo and its not cos theyre leaky garbage
>>
>>1024154
good tent
>>
File: unnamed (1).jpg (241KB, 1134x638px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).jpg
241KB, 1134x638px
>>1023957
my 15 ounce Zpacks tent cost 555 dollars! I had to get drunk when I ordered it
>>
Im going out in the woods in the northeast. Ive got a plastic blue tarp and a sleeping bag for shelter, plus 100ft of paracord. Am I good.

PS I fucking hate spiders how do I make sure they stay away?
>>
>>1023611
If you have the money to spend, you can usually halve the weight of your sleep system switching from a tent to a hammock (a dutchware setup should weigh about 1.5lb for a hammock w/ bugnet and tarp). Same thing with the sleeping bag, going to a hammock quilt will get you down to under 1lb for a 40*F quilt.

A hammock and quilt will pack SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than a tent and mummy bag, so you can get away with a smaller and lighter pack.

What fuels do you have available to you? Stoves like the Whisperlite International will burn just about anything petroleum based as well as bottled propane and isobutane, and it weighs very little.

Your food should weigh very little, what are you trying to take now? I mean, a week's worth of freeze-dried, commercially-prepared backpacking meals will weigh about 9lbs.

The only way to reduce the weight of water on you is to reduce the amount of water on you. Carry less, purify more frequently. You say you're somewhere tropical, that should be pretty easy.
>>
>>1024864

>A hammock and quilt will pack SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than a tent and mummy bag

Hammocks and quilts weigh significantly more than tents and sleeping bags. Put down the bong you retarded child
>>
>>1024825
>spiders
A tent
>>
>>1024948
wut.
>hammock (hexon 1.0) with suspension and bugnet: 13.7oz
https://dutchwaregear.com/half-wit-hammock.html
>4x titanium stakes for rain fly: 0.8oz
https://dutchwaregear.com/ti-hook-stake.html
>rain fly without guy lines: 4.75oz
http://www.hammockgear.com/dyneema-cuben-fiber-hex-tarp/
>25ft of guy line: 0.46oz
http://www.makeyourgear.com/rolled-goods/rope/25-feet-of-zing-it-or-lash-it/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total weight: 19.71oz (1.2lb or 0.545kg)

>40*F hammock quilt: 13.75oz (0.86lbs or 0.38kg)
http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-40/

The tarp+bugnet+suspension+hammock packs to slightly bigger than a softball, and can be entirely crammed into an empty 1.5L Nalgene bottle. Try doing that with a tent.

Now moreover, the total combined setup is under $500. Are there super-ultralight 1-man tents that might maybe weigh less? Yeah I suppose. But they cost twice as much, and pack larger.
>>
>>1025021
>size of a softball

Lotta typing for a retard
>>
>>1019811

It is fleece. Lots of hunting gear in nz is made of fleece. Makes no noise when it rubs together and is quite warm.
>>
File: 34432222.png (197KB, 439x414px) Image search: [Google]
34432222.png
197KB, 439x414px
Anyone here use some kind of camera to record when hiking/backpacking? Action cameras and so on

Thinking of getting something cheap but not terrible to log some of my outings
>>
>>1025080
If an Eno Doublenest is legit the size of a softball I have no doubt a much higher quality, much narrower tarp paired with an equally high quality ultralight rain fly will be that size or smaller.

Did a hammock rape your dad or something?
>>
File: pack1[1].jpg (498KB, 800x814px) Image search: [Google]
pack1[1].jpg
498KB, 800x814px
>>1019811
Looks like a veshmeshok.
>>
File: Screenshot_2.jpg (91KB, 707x611px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.jpg
91KB, 707x611px
>tarp
>poncho
>pack cover
>230g
>$100 AUD

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Ultrasil is breddy gud in my experience but not sure about using it for a shelter.
>>
Are MSR tents good? Thinking about getting one. I want something light and simple to set up.
>>
Hey guys, I'm just starting my gear journey, so far all I have are boots (salomon quest 4d's). I live in VA here in the US and it tends to get hot and humid in the summer, I'm looking for a tent/sleeping bag that will work well all year round and a pack big enough for a couple days to a weeks worth of camping, maybe a 60l? Also knife recommendations are great too, so far I've got an esee 3 and a pocket knife
>>
>>1025290
Hardly relevant when it's not equivalent to a tent. The rainfly on my tent only weighs 3 ounces and is the size of an orange. No hammock can compete with that. Did a tent step on your cat?
>>
>>1025457
Start over. Return the boots don't get a knife get ur tent and bag at Walmart. Don't forget to buy a footprint for your tent to protect your $30 investment
>>
>>1024191
The Moabs are decent. Their non goretex waterproof is absolutely trash, though
>>
>>1025196
I'm spying the Amazon exclusive gopro stm. Supposed to be the version 4 session at $100 give or take. Because I don't have a fucking Galaxy or iPhone I can't just use a LifeProof case.
>>
File: 20170424173702_47138[1].jpg (540KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
20170424173702_47138[1].jpg
540KB, 1000x1000px
what about buying tents from gearbest or aliexpress? any experiences?
>>
>>1020494

Plenty of people do it here in Alaska, which has much higher population of all those animals.
>>
>>1021968
A tent will not offer you any more protection from a bear than a tarp will.

The best way to keep from being a sleeping bag snack is to keep a clean camp, hang your food and do all your cooking downwind of your shelter.
>>
>>1025479
I flat out dont believe you. Provide a link to the product.
>>
>>1025441
Amazingly roomy and ventilated, but not any good for consistently wet conditions - water will force itself through after a few hours, and it pitches inner first
No idea about their 4 season tents, they look to be well designed tho
>>
>>1025657
I posted in /csg/.

3F UL is legit good. My main tent is their Big Sky Wisp knockoff.
Heard good things about Naturehike but don't personally own any of their stuff..
>>
>>1025386
Yes! That's exactly what I'm looking for!

>Average price $20 shipped

Sweet.
>>
>>1025441
Thanks. I could always set up a tarp on top of it to stop rain, and it never really rains for more then a few hours anyways.
Any ideas if they're easy to set up? I am kinda retarded.
>>
Do I need a special backpack for hiking?

Like I"m looking at the backpacks and they're organized by liters? Like 16L, 20L

If I"m hiking for a day what backpack do I need?
>>
>>1026193
Depends a lot of what you're taking with you. Personally, I don't back much and don't like carrying a lot of weight.

Next month I'm off to Scotland for a month-long hike through the mountains. My backpack is only 40 litres, obviously carrying the tent and sleepingbag on the outside.
>>
>>1026193
Mornin', newfag.

You need a pack with a good hip belt. First and foremost, not wrecking your shit is a priority. For a day pack the 35 liter point is a good mark. Brand and features are subjective, but Osprey has one of the best warranties available. They just look like neon new age horseshit to a lot of us. Cheap end of things would be a hellcat Alice conversion, which should cost ya around $100 and be goddamn indestructible. Just don't go stealing valor.

No advice for packs below the 30liter mark, just get a regular backpack.
>>
>>1025846
Why would you want a link to my tents rainfly?
>>
>>1026195
>>1026196
Thanks guys, another question how do I know how much water to bring? Is there like a rule? Like if you hike for x miles or x hours bring this much water?
>>
>>1026232
Depends on whether there'll be a water source handy. I usually bring about a litre and water purification tablets.
>>
>>1026198
Because I and at least one other person think you're full of shit and being an argumentative cunt just to be an argumentative cunt.
>>
>>1026336
Why would you think a small rainfly weighs more than a few ounces?
>>
>>1026361
Because everyone else's small rainflys weigh more than a few ounces even when made out of the lightest material going (cuben fiber).

Which leaves one of two (or three) possibilities:
1. You're a lying cunt
2. It's too tiny to be usable
(3). You're listing its weight without any of its guy outs, which ties into point 1
>>
>>1026364
You want a link to the guy outs too? See that's the point faggot, you can't just compare one component of a hammock setup to an entire tent or your comparison is useless
>>
File: 1782.jpg (106KB, 557x640px) Image search: [Google]
1782.jpg
106KB, 557x640px
>>1019811
Great, kiwi slavshit.
>>
File: ivanpasswodka.jpg (203KB, 680x650px) Image search: [Google]
ivanpasswodka.jpg
203KB, 680x650px
>>1026409
That's the most Russian thing I've ever seen
>Ivan, I haff great idea.
>What ees idea, Boris?
>We make many vodka, da?
>Da.
>Vodka ees potato, da?
>Da.
>Potato is carry een sack, da?
>Da.
>What eef we put pocket and strap onto sack?
>BORIS YOU SO SMART. NOW WE MAKE VODKA AND BACKPACK FROM SAME FACTORY.
>>
>>1018210

What's the deal with wood burning campstoves? Are they any good? Can anybody recommend one?
>>
>>1026239
What if I'm not sure whether there will be water handy?

Do you guys just drink from waterfalls or rivers?
>>
>>1026593
I got the solo stove lite, that thing burns for a long time and well, I use it for when I go to the river and the bugs start biting, smoke drives um away, that and cooking meals, and you dont have to worry about digging out a fire pit then cleaning it up, bruddy gud imo
>>
>>1024238
Really? I was considering buying it.
>>
>>1023888
>Food: More calorie dense food. Salami, nuts, etc are good.

sardines are god tier
>>
>>1025426
Just back from my first trip with a homemade tarp.
This is pretty expensive and small. I ordered material for a 3m x 3m tarp and sewed it together for $40 USD. If they're giving you only enough to wear as a poncho you're not gonna be too comfy.
>>
>>1026658
>homemade tarp
Tell me more, papi
>>
>>1021508
They are ok, but i have also the ProLite Plus, which is better and lighter tbqh famalamadingdong
>>
>>1026602

Thanks! I googled around and there are a million brands, but no reviews or articles.
>>
>>1026646
Watch out for his wording
>You should send it to me
He's jealous of anons' tent. It's a nice tent.
>>
>>1026597
>What if I'm not sure whether there will be water handy?

Then you need to bring more water.

>Do you guys just drink from waterfalls or rivers?

Not without purifying the water first, no.
>>
Water filter thingie worth getting?
>>
>>1026996
No, they are 109% gimmick
>>
>>1026897

But how much water am I supposed to take?
>>
File: 1494385879126.jpg (37KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1494385879126.jpg
37KB, 500x667px
>>1021965
Yes.

>>1021967
50l was plenty for 4 weeks alps for me.

>>1021972
Why would he want to get separated from his backpack?

>>1021993
Merino socks, Merrel Moab Vent for shoes.

>>1022177
Jeans are fine if its dry.

>>1022378
Have good experiences with Vango stuff, but they where more in the 150 euro range.

Bought a Coleman Crestline for the kids, robust, safe in the rain, but heavy. Your price limit i think.

>>1024154
A mozzie dome. Nice.

>>1024784
Not even freestanding?

>>1025441
The Hubba is awesome.

>>1025657
Tested a Naturehike Cloud Up 1, good light tent for the money, only lacks ventilation.

>>1026193
For a dayhike without sleeping: 16 liter upwards is enough, bring: poncho, snacks, drinks, first aid, cellphone, money, map, compass and a piece of sleeping mat to sit on.

>>1026593
I prefer ethanol for my trangia/titanium pot combo (esbit/toacs 750ml). Whip it out, get the hot warer in a few minutes, easy life.

>>1026597
Get a sawyer filter, bring purification tablets or boil the water, then yes. I drink as much as i can and take 2 liters whenever i find a water source.

>>1026647
Sardines in olive oil, you pleb!

>>1026996
Sawyer mini or squeeze.
>>
>>1027069
>50l was plenty for 4 weeks alps for me.
I'll probably get a 50L, and try to be smart when putting stuff in.

>The Hubba is awesome.
How about the Elixir?
>>
>>1027073
You can always rig a sleeping pad or tent to the outside to gain space inside.

Never used the elixir, my dude.
>>
>>1027082
Definitely, I'll look into bags that can do that.

What are some good things about the Hubba? I could probably get that.

Thanks.
>>
>>1027094
Light, freestanding, robust. Used mine for 120 nights before i sold it and bought a new one. That doesn't sound like much, but most tents fall apart after three or so weeks.
>>
>>1027120
Sounds perfect, exactly what I want. Is it easy to set up?
>>
>>1027027
37 gallons
>what, you can't carry 300lbs worth of water?
>>
>>1027125
Yes, even with cold hands.
>>
>>1027133
Cheers, I'll look into getting one. Thanks!
>>
File: 51Gns9JeYqL._SL500_.jpg (60KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
51Gns9JeYqL._SL500_.jpg
60KB, 500x375px
>>1027069
>>
>>1027134
Last word: Fabsil Gold if it leaks eventually.

>>1027196
I have the weirdest boner right now.
>>
>>1027196
2bh i prefer Brunswick over King Oscar
>>
>>1019611
I have heard excellent things about.Kelty Cosmic and the Quarter Dome. Everybody loves them. I would recommend the Klymit Static V Insulated or the Thermorest Neoair Xlite or Xtherm.
>>
>>1027572
Oh you, lesser people should stay at reddit :) *upvote* (:
>>
What water bladder thing is good? Buying from amazon.de
>>
>>1027134
I own the Hubba as well and can confirm everything the other guy said. Great tent!
>>
>>1027570
>Fabsil Gold
What is this? Like a waterproof coasting?
>>
>>1028077
Yes my dude, thats what it is. Basically its the coaring of silnylon with a solvent in a tin. Sometimes you chafe the initial coating away, then you use Fabsil either on that spot or all over your fly.

Not needed if you don't use your material that much of course.
>>
>>1028100
Will definitely keep it in mind, or if not I can modify the tent some how.

>>1027993
Cheers, gonna get myself one. Whenever I see it on sale or something.
>>
How feasible would be using tarp + blanket combo? Thinking about getting some cheap gear with possibility for quick, stealth-ish sleep spot.
>>
File: 20170531_173145.jpg (4MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170531_173145.jpg
4MB, 3984x2988px
made a thread without knowing this one exisited oops

what's this?
>>
>>1028194
Waste of $10
>>
>>1028194
It's doable, but there is no privacy, rodents will climb your body as if it where Everest and insects come and go unchecked.

So it's a question of how hardcore you are. I go sometimes with a 3m x 3m DD ultralight (a cheap tarp from home depot would work as well) and a cheap second hand military bivvy if it's not warm enough for insects.

>>1028283
This is the mark of a faggot. He who has it, is one.

>>1028103
Remember that the Hubba will work for years, so the expense might be actually less than buying new chink shit every season.
>>
File: unnamed (2).jpg (779KB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (2).jpg
779KB, 3024x4032px
Wanted to mess around with mini stoves. Always used fuel canisters with a MSR Pocket Rocket in the past but I always end up with an empty/low fuel canister also they can be a bit pricy. This is the weight with 4oz of 99%etoh, will use Heet on the trail since that seems to be the best fuel and it's still dirt cheap.

Just use it for heating up water for freeze dried meals/ramon/coffee. I know it will be slower than the Pocket Rocket but if i'm cooking i'm not in a rush.

Anyone use one wanna chime in?
>>
>>1028476
>So it's a question of how hardcore you are.
The literally only time I sleep outside was when I was sleeping in backyard in cheap tent as little shit. Wake up pretty cold despite having a pillow, blanket and sweater.

I was thinking about small/cheap/quick sleeping set because I sort of want to ride a bicycle to Prague in Czech Rep. sometime and that's about 400km. It's pretty retarded idea, but it's not like I'm not used to having terrible ideas.
Of course I could ask around in towns for room, but I kind of anxious about dealing with people despite being fairly talkative.
>>
File: 1488660084364.png (2MB, 1024x1019px) Image search: [Google]
1488660084364.png
2MB, 1024x1019px
>>1018210
I'm not sure if i should start my own thread for this.
I have all my gear listed in this video, half of it listed in the vid description with links to the amazon pages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwmKfaOADws
>>
>>1024154
Good luck with rain.
>>
so I bought into the hammock meme and got one for backpacking

it's like pic related

I've got a shitty tarp, but I'm not sure how to hang it on a hammock with this kind of "over the top" fly net

also how the fuck do I keep my bag dry with one of these?

monsoon is coming, and I need to get set up
>>
i'll be hitch hiking and backpacking around for a month. i won't be camping outdoors (i'll stay in manga cafes) but i'll be walking a lot.

i have up to 30,000 yen i'd like to spend on a bag and shoes. problem is that i don't know what to buy because this is japan.

what should i get?
i live in japan right now.
>>
File: You_Doodle_2017-06-01T14_37_04Z.jpg (976KB, 750x890px) Image search: [Google]
You_Doodle_2017-06-01T14_37_04Z.jpg
976KB, 750x890px
Is this, plus a 3L water container inside the pack sufficient for 1-3 night camping?

What I carry

>Hammock
>Hammock Straps
>Bug Cover
>Tarp
>Sleeping Bag
>Camp Stove
>Simple Cup
>Fuel
>2000 Calories of Nutella
>Two Soup Cans
>Medical Supplies, both trauma and basic
>Space Blanket
>Headlamp+Extra Batteries
>Compass
>Firestarter+Lighter
>DEET
>Extra Socks
>>
File: IMG_0306.jpg (317KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0306.jpg
317KB, 750x1334px
>>1028661
What it looks like condensed, oh and I forgot

>Paracord
>>
>>1027873
Camelbak or Source. They're the most durable and are the easiest to fill.
>>
>>1028602
>how to into rainfly
Run a second line above the hammock, throw tarp over that. Alternatively, if your tarp has grommets or tie-outs, don't bother with the ridgeline and just tie the center tie-outs to the trees.
>how keep bag dry
Depends on how you set up the rain fly, but I've always just hung it from the tree next to the hammock with a rain cover on it.
>>
>>1028661
>2000 Calories of Nutella
>Two Soup Cans

That is a total of 2,500 Calories. The majority of it is Nutella. You are going to be very uncomfortable if you plan on surviving with that kind of food for 3 days. I pack at least 6,000 Calories for 3 days. I have a mix of granola, nuts, energy bars, Spam, electrolyte drink powder mix, instant breakfast shake mix, etc... I average about 1,5000 Calories / lbs. of food. I could probably get to 2,000 Calories / lbs. of food if I go with even drier foods like rice.

>a 3L water container
You should carry a Sawyer mini water filter. 3L of water over 3 days is uncomfortable so you will need to get more water. Boiling water is possible, but time consuming.
>>
>>1028654
I'm sure japan has everything, and when you buy more expensive gear the cost of shipping becomes relative

you might consider spending a day or two in your first destination buying what you need to save money, if you're landing in a shopping hub

>>1028661
forgot the toilet paper/10

I'm no expert, but do you need a sleeping bag with a hammock?
you might be better off with an under-quilt, probably more comfortable

as far as food goes canned food is probably your worst bet, high in water and also heavy as fuck.
you're going to need a lot more food as well, and don't neglect fiber. you ca buy fiber sachets cheaply and they weigh very little.
you're also going to need a lot more food

cigarette lighters save you a lot of messing around, I'd bring a few in ziplack bags

you might want garbage bags to help you pack out your rubish, and they also protect your bag if it rains.
consider seriously gettign a waterproof cover for your bag, they arn't expensive or heavy, and beat trying to hike with a tarp over your bag lol

space blankets are neat, but mainly for those not bringing shelter.
how would you loose/damage your sleeping bag that badly that a space blanket would be better?

do you have a toothbrush?
you might also consider taking the soap in a small container, you won't need that much.

what about eating utensils...or a can opener

water is heavy asf as well, someone suggested a water filter and I'd second that- but you might also want a camel back to keep that water close to your body and stop you having to stop to open water bottles
>>
>>1028751
>>1028705
So more food.

I'll probably forget the canned food and bring more grains out, maybe spam.

The Garbage Bag idea is nice.
>>
>>1018810
holy, that longer journey sounds epic. how long would it take? do you have an estimate of how much it would cost, food and all? really interested in such adventures.
>>
>>1028774
maybe aim to cook less

milk/custard powder
freeze dried meals
dried fruit and nuts are great, you can dry your own fruit as well as dried vegetables like carrots pumpkin or yams
whole wheat crackers are probably better than grains, even wheat-bix. just watch out for salt, you can take a heap of those
some cheese is good, but don't go overboard
soft cheese, trail mix and crackers are GOAT
plain instant noodles, mix your own seasoning
>>
>>1028492
I prefer something like the whisperlite to an alcohol stove. Main benefits are durability, reliability and high BTU's.

White gas stoves are great for bringing water to a boil fast. The downsides is the lack of control to simmer and generally higher weight (compared to pocket rocket). There are some pricey liquid fuel stoves that are pretty light, but maybe less durable.

An alcohol stove is the lightest possible stove AFAIK, but a real pain to use in inclement weather. I definitely wouldn't use one in winter unless I was forced to.
>>
>>1028476
>Remember that the Hubba will work for years, so the expense might be actually less than buying new chink shit every season.
I completely agree, I rather pay more and get something of quality. But hey I'll look out, not planning on hiking soon. So I have some time to look around. If I could save a few bucks, great! If not, then fuck it. I'll purchase it no matter what.
>>
>>1019735
Get a cheap canvas backpack brah
>>
>>1026196
35l and hip belts are way overkill for a daypack. I've been fine with a 22l on day hikes, can even use it rock climbing bringing all that extra gear.
>>
>>1028595
That's what the rainfly is for. Surely you seen pictures of tents without the fly on right?
>>
>>1024825
>northeast
get a tent. its tick season in the NE.

or get a bug net and DEET/tea tree oil/peppermint spray.
>>
>>1031253
DEET only, tea tree oil and peppermint are next to useless
>>
>>1031253
This
>>1031261
The only thing botanical oils are good for is announcing to the world your lack of heterosexuality.
>>
File: 91U3oD5gZ1L._SL1500_.jpg (372KB, 1283x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91U3oD5gZ1L._SL1500_.jpg
372KB, 1283x1500px
>>1026193
my single day hike pack is the SOG Ninja. got it for 20 bucks at Ross.

fits:
>1 change of clothes
>1 towel
>1 pair sandals
>3 liter hydration bladder
>16 oz thermos for coffee

and little things like snacks, flashlight, batteries, reflective vest, etc.

its not at all fancy, but gets the job done.
>>
File: BK589.jpg (150KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
BK589.jpg
150KB, 1000x1000px
So I have a question about military shovels/entrenching tools. Are they really functional as axes in a backpacking context or is their multifunctionality just a meme? What is the thickest thing I can expect to reasonably chop with one? What brands/models should I go for if I don't want one of the many tacticool trash ones for sale? Are they actually worthwhile for saving space instead of having a bunch of tools?
>>
>>1032988
No, they are garbage.

I started with an NVA, East German shovel I had about 10 of, then got a tacticool one and it was a pile of shit.

I can't justify packing one over my tiny little sea2summit trowel, which telescopes and becomes tiny and my sawback machete or a foldable saw.
>>
guys, soft shell pant recommendations? looking at haglofs right now.

Only requirements are that they are NOT black or light coloured (greens, browns and darker greys ok) because I'm sick of either roasting in the sun or staining the shit out of my trousers.

And that they can fit an OS map in the thigh pocket.

Having real difficulty finding something appropriate. Pic related is forerunner.
>>
>>1033009
I only wear grey ones desu, but ive had a few. Mountain equipment ibex are the goat, they were the most comfortable, most mobile and had a good durabilty/cost. Os sized pockets might be the issue (literally no idea ive got a map pouch)
Next best would be the vaude defender, bit warmer and the pockets are big so might suit you. My one issue was the hem, really weird size but a bit of adjustment and its fine
I brought an old pair of vaude rugged off ebay, and they werent great. Not too breathable or mobile, but there were big pockets and the material felt really durable - and heavy. Id imagine they retail for quite a bit, but my experience with haglofs gear is brilliant, id put them up there in terms of technical quality with arcteryx. My current are a pair of berghaus fast hike, and they seem to be really durable and breathable, but theyre heavy

Alternatively, the only summer trousers i use any more are montane terra pants. Seriously lightweight, breathable, more durable than most softshell trousers despite being cheaper and just as wind/water resistant - but they dry quicker
>>
>>1033031
Haglofs rugged
>>
>>1033031
nice one dude.

desu most soft shell pants look extremely similar and have similar features.

I've always worn polycotton trousers but faster drying times in particular appeal to me as I'm not huge on bringing waterproof over trousers (only in the winter).

The terra pants do look good, and I love montane gear but I don't want to be a walking montane ad! as I already have a bunch of their gear. Unfortunately they also don't have a pocket big enough for an OS map.

Not sure why it's gone out of fashion to have a pocket big enough for an OS map.

What are your thoughts on wicking trousers? Rab vapour rise trousers look interesting and a more modern version of the paramo wicking liner setup. I think I may get a pair for winter walking.

I do like this new niche of clothing called 'active insulation', only started seeing the phrase come up regularly in the last couple of years.
>>
rate my shit, winter in Australia Vic.
>>
>>1033053
Ive got a VR top and its probably my most used bit of kit, the system is amazing. I can imagine it making some real comfy trousers but the equilibrium shell wouldnt be very durable desu. Maybe with cordura panels like the guide, but thats far too warm for anything i do
A system ive used for winter stuff for years is a merino base with a softshell outer, the idea being its warm and wicking, dries quick if its a light rain and keeps me warm if its consistent. This is great for day outings shite for multi days cos youve got to dry yourself. Helly warm are the best bases imo, warm and odorless like merino but wicks like a synthetic
Ive been a buffalo user for years, so the hype for active insulaation is bare exciting. I really hope they make polartec alpha into a pile fleece or something
>>
Anyone ever wear Condor outdoor stuff? I've got a few shirts and shorts from them and they feel really good, but they also make some pants, and I figured being an "outdoor" company they might hold up to some hiking and camping.

The fit is weird though, but not bad. I'm a large polo if I shop at normal stores, but I can swim in the Condor large, odd.
>>
Completely new to /bags/, is the 5.11 rush 12 a good everyday & the occasional /out/ bag ?
>>
>>1033306
It's solidly built and has an okay layout, looks a bit too tacticool for me though.

It's also pretty heavy for what it is due to the gorillion-denier ripstop they use.
>>
What all would I need to sustain myself for about a year in the woods
>>
>>1033143
>that 90s feel
I like it/10
>>
>>1033576
it works and i love it
>>
File: 1487636893434.png (62KB, 794x578px) Image search: [Google]
1487636893434.png
62KB, 794x578px
>>1033584
>it works and i love it
it's all that matters anon. As long as you go /out/ is all good.
>>
>>1033235
Yeah I'm a P&P guy, which is why I'm interested in this active insulation stuff. The rab 'invisible' midlayer looks interesting. IIRC it is polartec without the face fabrics.

As for VR trousers, I'm just considering alternatives to waterproofs for mixed Scottish weather.

I'd be interested in trying to Paramo system but it seems just like the VR trousers but out dated by comparison.
>>
File: ULA-CDT-e1474410853334.png (92KB, 500x506px) Image search: [Google]
ULA-CDT-e1474410853334.png
92KB, 500x506px
Got a ULA CDT arriving tomorrow! 3 season base weight now down to 8.6lb! https://youtu.be/fbHHQrh9m58
>>
>>1033809
Meant to link my lighterpack https://lighterpack.com/r/6jzbjh But I'll the stove video as the man is too good.
>>
>>1019611
How the hell you get the deal on the tent
>>
>>1018426
About ten tons of Clif bars and a baseball cap.
>>
>>1033897
Sounds like the bribes the Philmont staff use to hush the kids desu
>>
>>1033287
I wear Condor stealth pants, stupid name but good low profile pocket bdu type pants.

I rate them average quality with a few annoying features, the pocket lining is 100% synthetic, the fly button sucks, there's no cord included for the trouser bottom hems etc
>>
File: oYgLJQrh.jpg (243KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
oYgLJQrh.jpg
243KB, 1024x1024px
going to be hiking in the PNW (Cape Scott), should I bring a pair of gumboots? I figured that I could put in a different sole to make it more comfy. I already have hiking shoes and have been looking to buy gaiters, as well as slippers/crocs for when just setting up camp and relaxing. My previous job had me putting in at least 5k of walking everyday in rubber boots, and the trails don't have an elevation gain.
>>
>>1033997
Wow a whole 2 miles a day you are truly elite for your generation
>>
>>1034026
Oh piss off you spoil sport!

>>1033997
Wouldn't bother with the gum boots.
>>
I'm thinking of throwing my hands up and walking as far as I can across the states. I'd be starting in West PA and would go north towards Alaska.

I am lacking two things;
1) a good backpack
2) a good compass

The backpack would ideally be good enough to carry some food, a tarp, a spare coat, spare shoes, and extra clothing. Compass I just want something that will last through rough weather and wear.

Thanks
>>
>>1034045

you sound like a noob, may I suggest Silva compasses? Good rep, well made, and a range of models and features as you need.
>>
Huh. Just used lighterpack and was honestly expecting my base weight to be higher. 11.5 pounds.

Anyway, open to suggestions.
>https://lighterpack.com/r/8kvegu
>>
>>1034050
Thanks mate. I'm not a frequent /out/er but I do spend some time out when I can. I've never needed a compass though, so I don't know what to look for. And google is way too easy.
>>
>>1033143
Where's ya swag mate.
>>
>>1034026
Why the ridicule? What I implied is that I'm already quite comfortable with gumboots,however the trek is 50+k both ways so I am worried of whether bringing gumboots along would be worth it or not. Must be easy to poke fun when you probably weigh a buck twenty soaking wet
>>
>>1034080
Don't worry he's a faggot, probably never worked an outdoor job in his life. Like the other anon suggested I wouldn't bother with them for your PNW trek.
>>
>>1034080
Why do you need gum boots tho'? I am in a pretty wet climate and I cope with gtx boots + a few changes of socks.

>>1034066
Silva have a good rep. I have the Silva expedition 4, has pretty much all you need for orientation plus some nice touches like rubber feet on the base plate.

Pack is going to depend on what you put in it ; volume and weight, and some other factors like your back length.

DESU I would just go for a low-mid range backpack until you are settled on what gear you buy. No point buying an expensive bag before you know for sure what's going in.

Work out what kind of volume you need.

Most new hikers seem to end up with a 60-70l sack. I like that size for winter camping but the other 3 seasons I get by with about 45l

Oh and when you buy a bag for the love of god try it on, and if possible with some weight in the back. Make sure it fits you well with the weight drawn down onto the top of your bum
>>
>>1034105
I am the gumboots anon btw,

The area is known for torrential downpour for days on end, and it seems like this year it will be the trend for the 5 days we are there (we are hoping for 2 days of dry though). I was considering bringing along a 2nd pair of footwear to keep my feet dry that's all
>>
File: New Stuff.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
New Stuff.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
Decided to treat myself to some new gear, still waiting on the under quilt and tarp from war bonnet. Planning a 3 night trip to hike the Presidential Range in late summer.
>>
>>1034080
>triggered
Sorry m8, maybe to your peers being able to walk 2 miles per day is impressive and good on you for being able. But it's still kind of sad and also that my gentle ribbing bothered you so much. Also maybe make your post clearer so if that's possible for a gumboot
>>
>>1027027
Im fine with a 1 quart metal canteen. But if there's going to be no water sources, then bring however much water you need.
>Going for 3 days? Bring 3 days worth of water.
>>
File: 10195922.jpg (62KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
10195922.jpg
62KB, 396x382px
>>1034349
???

The job entails much more than just "walking 2 miles" which by the way your math is wrong to begin with (try adding a mile or more, I'm sure you can do it). Fucking summerfags
>>
>>1034392
>I can walk 3 miles and also my job entails more than walking

Congratulations you burger flipping retard
>>
File: 6a8f1ae0a965e9afbef91bf43f3b37c5.jpg (690KB, 1664x2496px) Image search: [Google]
6a8f1ae0a965e9afbef91bf43f3b37c5.jpg
690KB, 1664x2496px
any recommendations for a sleeping bag that is
>under $100
>packs small as possible for a cheap bag
>can be used semi comfortably to atleast 30F, 0F if possible
>>
>>1034561
Lol
>>
Where can I find a good kukri for camping use? what length would anyone recommend?
>>
File: 14859_1.jpg (12KB, 648x648px) Image search: [Google]
14859_1.jpg
12KB, 648x648px
So I bought this titanium cup for 30 eur (33 usd). It's pretty cool but expensive as fuck but also light as fuck, so yeah. 62 grams (2 ounces)
>>
>>1034577
so are there literally no bags for under $100 that can do 30 degrees then? none at all?
>>
>>1034585
There's plenty.

But they're gonna be massive car-camping bags.
>>
>>1034583
So now I'm thinking about buying this pot too. It's only 119 grams (4 ounces) but again, expensive as fuck at 60 eur (66 usd).

Am I going too far? They're REALLY good quality and probably will last a lifetime.
- titanium
- extremely light
- very durable
- very meme-able
>>
>>1034588
pot pic
>>
>>1034587
thats why I said
>packs small as possible for a cheap bag
I am easily able to fit the entire us army modular sleep system in my pack which can do well under -10 degrees and can be bought for under $100, I just want to know if theres something smaller
>>
>>1034588
Titanium is kinda shit at heat transfer. A mug is one thing, a cooking pot is another. They will boil about 20% slower than an all-aluminum pot and close to 40% slower than a stainless steel pot. If you're out for more than about 3 days the extra fuel needed will weigh more than the weight savings over a quality aluminum or steel pot.
>>
>>1034591
No, there really isn't. Most of the commercial 30* bags that're under $100 are gonna be bulkier than the heavy bag out of the MSS. If you already have an MSS you're set.
>>
>>1034593
Fair enough, but I never cook on a stove. I always use wood.
>>
>>1034599
Then it may be a good option for you. Seems kinda spendy though.

I've got the Snow Peak Ti mini cookset (28oz pot, 10oz mug) and I like them a lot, whole set ran me about $70usd. Been using them moderately heavily for close to 5 years now with no issues, but then again I take care of my shit and I cook on a white-gas stove.
>>
>>1034561
Amazon or Alibaba. Anything from there is getting made by the same children anyways.
>>
>>1034593
But because titanium is so strong the walls can be thin enough to allow heat transfer thats about as efficient as a regular ally pot.
Ive got a 213 g ally pot, and i upgraded to a 120g ti one. Are you telling me the in going to use 93g more fuel on a three day trip? Even with a lighter pot (my aluminum one is almost 10yo tbf) im only using about 15g fuel a day, less if i go for meths
>>
>>1034614
Depends on a lot of factors like size and efficiency of stove and size of pot, but potentially yes.

For example, my stove has about 75 minutes of burn time (full burn) on a 227g iso canister. My old 1.1L stainless pot would boil half a liter of water in around 3 minutes, my new 0.8L Ti pot boils half a liter in around 5 minutes despite being smaller in all dimensions. This means I get about 5 days worth of cooking out of 1 canister with the Ti pot instead of 8 and change. If you're needing to boil more at once or have a stove with a smaller burner width (like a pocket rocket) it'll be even worse.
>>
>>1034620
This is some good food for thought. My fire maple canister stove has a small burner head, which i use with a windshield to what i thought was a very efficient system. I do tbf only get about 11-12 meals out of a 227. My ally pot was significantly wider than the flame profile from my stove, so i felt like it was less wfficient (convection currents or some shit, school was a long time ago). I remember only getting 3 days, so 6-7 meals out of a 227 but i used a different windshield.
Anyone got any thoughts on pot width compared to stove flame profile? Or windshields, pegged out ti foil is my fav and works better than clip ons
>>
>>1034649
Generally you want the narrowest pot you can still reasonably use. Theres a reason most backpacking pots are tall and narrow. It's not exactly scientific but I've found pots that are no more than 20% larger diameter than your supports are the most efficient, with the added benefit of being more stable.

Hell boiling water in a stainless water bottle is pretty fucking efficient compared to most pots. Especially if you have one with a heat resistant lid you can keep on it.
>>
>>1034659
Seems like the biggest factors are how high you have your stove up (lower heat is generally more efficient), tight fitting lid, and well functioning windscreen.

Geometry and material make little difference (so long as you can adjust the burner accordingly)

>>1034620
I am guessing the difference is due to the smaller dimensions of the pot. At full burn you are wasting a bunch of heat. If you turn the burner down a little when using the Ti pot it will still probably take 5 minutes, but you'll have more similar usage to the SS pot.
>>
>>1034679
How much the pot overhangs the burner seems to make a significant difference, but yes lid and windscreen quality matters more.
>>
>>1034683
>>1034679
Oh, forgot to mention.

Over all pot size. If all you're worried about is cook time and you're not trying to be a backwoods chef simmering things, small pots will always boil faster than larger pots of the same material. If all you're doing is boiling water for freezedried food, you legitimately would be best off with a stainless water bottle and no pot.

Rarely have I ever needed more than half a liter of hot water, and the few times I have its been while group camping.
>>
File: Po backpack.jpg (51KB, 570x612px) Image search: [Google]
Po backpack.jpg
51KB, 570x612px
>>
>>1028663
Nigger I seen you in /gq/
>>
>>1034983
What's the volume on a Po?
>>
>>1035093
Over 9000
>>
>>1035102
meme master
>>
>>1035071
nigger master
>>
>>1034599
Wood will fuck with the metal.
>>
Migrate to new thread
>>1035205

Migrate to new thread
>>1035205

Migrate to new thread
>>1035205

Migrate to new thread
>>1035205

Migrate to new thread
>>1035205

Migrate to new thread
>>1035205
>>
>>1019926
I have several friends who have these and swear by them, I plan on getting them when the boots i have break down.

Lighter, less sweaty, and my friends all like the ones with the elastic laces you don't have to tie. I thought they were gimmicky but they say they work great, and you literally just pull them on and go.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (50KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
50KB, 1024x1024px
Found pic related on ebay for under $9
Cop or not?
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.