[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rust resistant bike.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2173.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2173.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Not sure if this is the correct board, but here goes.

Guys I just moved to the Marshal Islands, and everyone here has a bike due to cars not being allowed.

However metal here rust all to hell(not even stainless steel holds up), even bikes dont hold up very long out here, without constant maintenance, due to constant exposure to salt in the air.

So I'm gonna buy a bike online and have it shipped out here.

What should I be looking for in a rust resistant bike, if they make such a thing.
>>
I've lived on an island all my life.
In Summer, no more than 25m from the water. In winter a few Kms inland.
Never had a bike or car rust.

All we did was get a hose and wash salt spray away every morning.

Either before putting the bike away in a garage, or in the morning if you have left it outside for the night.

Take care of your shit and it won't rust.
>>
>>1016183
There are no garages out here. And it rains constantly.

So simply washing it down everyday would be enough to prevent rusting?
>>
Can't you get an aluminum one?
>>
>>1016195
Do aluminum bikes not rust? I haven't need a bike in over 20 yrs.

Any tips on what to look for in a rust resistant bike?
>>
>>1016200
Aluminum doesn't rust but it does corrode. I live near the ocean and the only thing I really worry about is chain rust. But I wash my back or rinse it off after I ride. Even if it's just splashing water on it from a bucket.
>>
>>1016212
Correct, and if you're worried about the chain rusting, they do make belt drive bikes. You'll just have to settle for a singlespeed if you go that route, unless you like internally geared hubs (you won't).
>>
>>1016222
Any specific bike you'd recommend for the op?
>>
>>1016175
just wrap it in duct tape or something
>>
>>1016175
Well I know shit about bikes but I know about materials
An aluminium one would do
I imagine there would be ceramic/composite transmissions

Or slap some zinc blocs on your iron bike for passive protection(this is just a joke, dont do this)
>>
depends on your budget. If you have a few K to spend, you can always get a carbon fiber freme, and then you'd only have to worry about the chain/gears
>>
>>1016175
Try
>>>/n/
OP
>>
>>1016200
aluminum oxide is a protective layer unlike rust. so when aluminum corrodes it also solves the corrosion problem and creates a hard surface.
(sapphire is Al2O3 btw)
the chain can rust but if you oil it after every use it will most likely keep.
>>
Just use car wax to protect that bike.
>>
File: IMG_2123.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2123.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1017166
Thanks for the correct board. When i looked at it before I posted this thread it was all about cars, and trains. So I figured that was the Tuner board
>>
>>1016222
They also make nickel plated and stainless steel chains. They still rust a bit but not as badly. I use them in the winter because road salt.
>>
I live in florida and i ride my steel fatbike on the beach all the time. i also maintain a large fleet of bikes very close to salt water areas.

ANY bike properly taken care of will last a long time. Just use anti-corrosion paints and sprays on all your stuff, and wash off any sand / salt after use.
>>
Aluminum frame and spray the inside with some sort of oil. Wax it afterwards. Also you can buy a decent carbon fiber frame from Chine for cheap (for carbon frames) and never worry about rust, just paint the outside to protect from UV, if it's not painted.
>>
>>1017263
this.
>>1021013
and this
>>1023091
frame saver
>>
Look up 'sacrificial metal'.

Get a piece of magnesium (one of those lumps that come with a fire steel should do).

Attach it metal to metal on your bike.

The magnesium will rust first. When it's fucked, replace it. Bike will never rust.
>>
>>1023818
Car salesman tried to sell me this bs system right after the undercoating
>>
>>1023818
I may be wrong- but wouldn't you need something a little more dispersed around the whole frame? Maybe like thing Mg rods attached to each tube or something?
>>
Carbon but you gotta spend 2k+

Also

>>>/n/
>>
>>1023869
Works extremely well on boats anon
>>
>>1023900
I guess it would depend on conductivity between different parts of the bike.

You make a good point anon. If each part is painted before assembly then there would be little chance if a 'circuit' being formed around the entire thing so each section would benefit from its own Mg supply.
>>
Titanium is an option.
>>
Why did you move there? That's exotic as fuck.
>>
>>1024142
Might be expensive but it won't ever rust. I work in a shop with a lot of opportunities to make what ever I feel like it, i've been a welder for close to 4 years and have been working with lathes and mills for the last 2 years. Custom bikes look tricky to fabricate though.
>>
>>1016186
>no garages
You could build a little bike hanging shed out of scrap wood for like, 50 bucks tops if you bought all the shit at Homo Depot, surely even less on some island
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.