[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who wants a backyard fish farm?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

I've always liked the idea of fish farming. There is lot of stuff out there on raising catfish in a barrel. It seem like a lot of people hate catfish though.

What about trout? Can I raise trout in a above ground shaded tank in California or in it too warm?

I also like the idea of pumping the waste sludge onto my garden.
>>
>>1014913
see
>>1012616
>>
>>1014913
Trout are a cold water fish. The colder the water the better they taste.
>>
>>1014913
Dude Tilapia Lmao.
>>
>>1014941
This.

OP
Trout need alot of space as well, and might attack eachother due to confined space stress, add warm water into the mix to increase their stress, and I can almost guarantee you're going to have alot of dead fish in your hands.

I had a summerjob on my Uncles trout farm when I was a teen. And he told me alot about his profession.

Rainbow trout, brown trout, lake trout, all attacked eachother, and quite much all of them had large patches of white scar tissue because of the fighting.
And the farm had great ditches dug out and cold water diverted from an existing stream. They had living space and cold, oxygen rich water, and it still wasnt optimal.

My best guess is that you'll end up with alot of dead fish on your hands if you go for trout.
>>
Tilapia will work best.

Trout will kill each other unless you stay with a single one per barrel.
>>
Catfish is a fish that tastes better farmed IMO.
>>
>>1014913
Idk about farming, you need hatch anon.

But the one thing, be careful if the water gets too warm. Remember that warm water holds less oxygen than cold water, plus lots of North American native fish really don't like warm water.

I would look into some sort of panfish. Yellow Perch would be great if you could get some sort of chilling system and they would survive in captivity.
>>
>>1015308
I remember reading years ago about raising catfish in a barrel.
Never attempted it though.

I think it was in one of the Kurt Saxon magazines.

You can probably find it online.
>>
>>1015299
It's A LOT, not alot

Not normally a grammar nazi but fuck man you said it like three or four times
>>
>>1014913
Bluegill is a good choice. Can take heat, can take cold, can be crowded, decent eating.
>>
File: Aug05_01.jpg (47KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Aug05_01.jpg
47KB, 640x480px
>>1014941
>The colder the water the better they taste.
I think I could probably make some kind of evaporation cooler but with a above ground pool I would probably have huge temperature fluctuation.

I was kind of inspired by the fish farming Israel does in the desert but I guess they probably aren't raising trout.

>>1015282
>Dude Tilapia Lmao.
I think that is held in lower regard than catfish. Literally Chinese sewer fish.
>>
>>1015299
>Alot
It's two words. "A lot." It's like how if you go to an auction, things are sold by lot numbers. Those numbers each represent lots. If you buy one, you've bought a lot.

Otherwise...

>What he said
Wise anon is wise. Pick a different fish.
>>
>>1014913
Buddy of mine developed an aquaponic system that lets you grow tilapia and crops in an enclosed system. I think he trademarked it under the name Grove, you can look it up.
>>
>>1014913
Trout need clear, cold water and they like currents. Don't think it would be economically productive to do so if you live anywhere south of Pennsylvania
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.