[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homegrowmen Thread #90

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 90

File: 90.jpg (1MB, 3197x5000px) Image search: [Google]
90.jpg
1MB, 3197x5000px
Old thread: >>1008692

Search terms:

Companion Planting - Raised Beds - Hugelkultur - Vertical Gardening - Square Foot Gardening - Polyculture - Composting - Windrow Composting - Mulching - Vermiculture - Espalier - Fungiculture - Aquaponics - Greenhouses - Cold Frames - Hot Boxes - Polytunnels - Forest Gardening - Aquaculture - Mittlieder Method - Keyhole Garden - Window Frame Garden - Straw Bale Gardening - Soil-bag Gardening - Lasagna Gardening - No-till Method - Container Gardening - Ollas Irrigation - Kratky Method

Chickens - Goats - Pigs - Sheep - Cattle - Ducks - Turkey - Honey Bees - Geese - Llama - Alpaca - Fish - Crayfish

Resources:

http://pastebin.com/RDDAm3Jz

Secondary Edible Parts of Vegetables:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2005/may05/SecVeget.html
>>
File: DSCN9719a.jpg (881KB, 2044x2300px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9719a.jpg
881KB, 2044x2300px
Some green june beetle grubs (Cotinis nitida) I found in my compost pile yesterday.

>>1012490
It should be fine. The only major pests that hide in mulch are slugs when it is during a rainy season and squash bugs. If you have a squash bug problem, I'd forgo using mulch. For slugs, just wait until the rainy season is over in your area then use mulch.

>>1012513
>>1012520
Both images contain chickweed. Which is delicious, fyi.

>>1012515
>>1012534
>>1012544
Treat tomatillos like tomatoes or peppers. They are in the nightshade family. I've grown them for many years. If you have mulch on the soil, rake it back to allow the soil to dry out faster until the rains pass. You may want to repot it with better draining soil. It is REALLY yellow. lol The soil you are using really holds a lot of water.

FYI, when I use containers as pots, I also drill two rows of drainage holes on the bottom of the sides. One row is as close to the bottom as possible and the second row is about 1/2 an inch above. It really aids in drainage and preventing pooling even with holes underside on the bottom.

>>1012556
>>1012571
Heat over 80F will make them wilt. Yellowing of bottoms leaves is normally overwatering. If they get white splitches on tops of the leaves it will be from too much sun because they are not hardened off properly. Newer leaves should be immune to that. I can see sun damage on those bottom leaves, fyi.

>>1012593
I get that problem constantly now with the captcha when it wants to go to a 3rd page of images of signs or cars or uses the disappearing images.

Hey, does the water come out of those pipes kind of foamy for a little bit then clear up? I always let my garden hoses run for a while, dumping the foamy water out, before using them on my plants. Some hoses are way worse than others. It is almost like there's soap, but it will fizzle out moderately quick, unlike soap.

>>1012618
Tomatillo
>>
File: 20170510_082047.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170510_082047.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1012620
Greatly appreciate the advice anon! I have just 3 holes drilled at the very bottom and along the top row, but will add more asap.

The bucket method looks promising but will most likely be moving everything in more shade or planting a bed.
>>
File: 1472177306459s.jpg (2KB, 119x125px) Image search: [Google]
1472177306459s.jpg
2KB, 119x125px
>>1012623
>>1012623
I'm still jelly that you're my neighbor and you have fruit growing. I have 2 jalapenos and they're babies right now.
>>
File: 20170506_163605.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170506_163605.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1012626
I got taters too.
>>
File: 1458922593545.jpg (24KB, 393x386px) Image search: [Google]
1458922593545.jpg
24KB, 393x386px
>>1012632
When the fuck did you plant your shit? Mine went in April 7 with starters but a lot of the seed sowing happened maybe 2 weeks later.

Fuck me for not having direct sun. I'm getting mad now. I could have done the buckets and moved them if I was concerned about hot direct sunlight but nooooo I had to do beds.
>>
File: 20170317_190641.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170317_190641.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>1012636
I started the first 3 buckets and a small bed of onions and potatoes February 1st. Then slowly added a few plants in buckets every pay period. Potatoes did well seeing on how I am winging it. Hints my funny looking tomatillos.

This is back around 2nd week of March I threw an onion in with the bucket with some strawberries.
>>
File: DemPeppers.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
DemPeppers.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>1012636
>>
>>1012650
>>1012650
You've got an extra month on me so we should tag up June 7 for me. Surprised they made it through the spastic weather.

I want to get some strawberries... May hit up the feed store to see if they have any left. They have starters for $1/ea and $2/ea for herbs & mint. I don't know why they were more... But when I went back to replace a cucumber that broke, everything is $0.50 to get it out. Better then $3.78/ea at the box stores. They also have seeds for $1/scoop (Tbsp). I usually don't do seed because the plants get retarded and fucked somehow but these turns out alright.
>>
File: upside-down-tomato-garden.jpg (47KB, 276x369px) Image search: [Google]
upside-down-tomato-garden.jpg
47KB, 276x369px
>>1012636
Beds are way superior in a lot of ways though anon, especially if you're growing deep rooting plants and the raised bed has no bottom to stop the plants reaching down.

You do have to be careful with buckets at times as heavy rain can wash lots of nutrients out of the bucket and roots can overheat if the bucket gets too much sun.

I had cherry toms (tommy toe) and some climbing beans in 3 gal buckets a couple of years back but the yield from the tomatoes wasn't great and the beans died in the summer sun when the roots cooked; little did i know that potted tomatoes like to have 4-6 gal of soil to crop well in a container.

If you have a bunch of big buckets and some eaves or a porch to hang them off, I'd recommend trying to grow them upside down.
You can also grow lettuce or other warm season greens in the tops of the buckets, producing an edible, living mulch to keep water in.
Candidates for upside down growing are mostly nightshades, but apparently cucumbers and beans can be grown and probably some others.

Obviously youll want them all hanging parallel to the equator so they get enough sun, probably one of the only notable rwquirements requirements i can think of.
>>
Alright something has been eating the shit out of some of my pepper plants and I can't figure out what. Strange thing is whatever is nailing them is only targeting leaves and is leaving the stems alone. Whatever it is also ignoring some pepper plants in order to target others. Seems to have a taste for some of my hot peppers and especially my sweet ones. With the bell peppers being the poor bastards who been taking the hardest beating. They have mostly been able to survive due to their stems/stalks being okay, good soil/sun, and sprouting low leaves that for some reason are being ignored...for now.

I been keeping an eye on them and I haven't been able to spot whatever it is that has decided it really hates some of my peppers. The rest of my plants meanwhile are doing just fine except for some of the plants who are suffering from transplant shock but I use willow water as a remedy for that. Which is a HUGE help.

Any ideas on what has it out for my peppers? I live in the Southwest of the USA if that helps in the mountains.
>>
>>1012771
I have also gone out real late at night in order to take a look. Checking to see if the bastards are nocturnal but I haven't seen anything.

I personally think that whatever is hitting them seems to be able to fly. Given how only the upper leaves are getting munched on and the low leaves near the base are doing just dandy. At least for now anyway. Which is strange given how windy its been lately, but it would explain why I haven't been able to find anything.
>>
>>1012771
There are some caterpillars which are really, really hard to see, somehow of the exact same green than your plants. Are you sure it isn't this?
>>
>>1012771
Slugs, snails, or isopods. The isopods normally only attack leaves that are touching the ground. The slugs will climb and eat the leaves. Both will do this at night, in the rain, or where things are clustered together. They both need moisture/humidity.

The clue is that you can't find them. They hide during the day so they don't dry out (isopods need moisture to breathe.)
>>
File: DSCN9761a.jpg (3MB, 4088x4256px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9761a.jpg
3MB, 4088x4256px
The soil test kit finally arrived. I have a lot of beds and not enough stuff in the kit to test it all at once. I can only run ten batteries of tests per $14 kit. I have 12 beds and a field. I need about 3 tests to test everything properly.

>tfw raining right now and can't test

Here's the English contents of the package.
>>
File: DSCN9780b.jpg (4MB, 3072x4600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9780b.jpg
4MB, 3072x4600px
Garden Update: Effing Isopods Edition

Feels good to take off all the poly tunnels. All the growth, under the tunnels during the cold, has been pretty good.
>>
I have a couple of potted tomatoes.
To make it short, they've been too wet. Leaves started yellowing, some have a couple of moldy leaves.
They don't seem like they're dying, but they don't look healthy at all.

Am I fucked?
>>
>>1012771
Had that happening to my rhubarb it was some night beetles, a little saucer of beer and a few days and it was filled with dead beetles, the holes stopped too.
>>
>>1012836
Repot with soil that drains better (add sand). Ensure there are lots of drainage holes in the pots. Cover the pots with a bag on the top so rain doesn't get in the soil for a while.
>>
>>1012616
Fuck you for updating the pic.
>>
>>1012855
Updating what pic? There's like 5 versions then this one that uses numbers on it. Sometimes the older art one gets used.
>>
Guys I want to start a small scale farm so I can feed my family and maybe if I have extra just bring it to a farmers market or something. Only problem is my backyard is small. I probably have enough room to grow enough for 1 person (1yr worth, can that shit). My sister has some land about 1.25hrs from me and there are some large 2.5acre lots near me but they're like 40k which is kind of steep for feeding yourself and having extra cash flow. If I were to convince my sister to let me use some land and I maintain it that would be best. So, since it is so far out, I could probably visit once a week, like in a Saturday. I wouldn't have to worry about people driving up and stealing my crops like I would worry if I had my own lot. Do you think spending every Saturday is enough? I would have water on timers or even Wi-Fi controllers so I can do that remotely.

Thoughts?
>>
>>1012917
It's doable. Maybe put some webcams or something so you could check on things during the week?
>>
/out/, help me out here.
I have a nice area in my backyard where I plan to plant my many tomatoes.
I've been taking care of the area since the ground could be worked. Put in some nice soil, put a wood border around it, it's nice.

Only issue is the fucking stray cats deciding to use it as their litter. I don't want cat shit in my garden. Don't think it'll be good for the tomatoes. I'm not feeling especially cat friendly, so any suggestions to rid my garden of cats would be appreciated.
I've been digging up the shit and putting it where the cats enter my yard. Anything else I can do?
>>
>>1012917
> Can I grow veggies what only need to be cared for once a week?
There are some, sure. For example, broad beans. They don't need much caring and with a simple irrigation system they'd be fine. Every saturday you'd have to tie them back to the pole and see if everything is fine.

So sure, there are lots of stuff that could grow fine with irrigation systems.

Now here is the bad part: you'll be too late to notice if something is going wrong. If some lice decide to attack all your shit or some spiders decide to eat all your veggies. They would be long gone and well fed before you even noticed the damage.

But yes, you can.

>people driving up and stealing my crops like I would worry if I had my own lot
Niggers aren't people.
>>
>>1012923
>I don't want cat shit in my garden.
Yes, you do.
>>
>>1012926
I-I do?
Cat crap has the potential to carry weird bacteria, protozoa and other stuff. Do I really want my tomatoes feeding off that?
Educate me here please if you can. I'm not plant smart, I work human immunity. So I assumed it's not safe.
>>
>>1012931
Just Googled it myself. Turns out you are completely right. Never knew about cat shit containing parasites. Very unfortunate since I've been doing it for years.

Honestly, for me it has been just as effective as cow pallets. Anyway, I'll stick to cow pallets because, well.. I like being healthy.

-

Goddamn it, now I have to kill my cat.
>>
>>1012935
>now I have to kill my cat.
kek. I don't think you have to go that far.

But since you have a cat, know anything they hate that I can spread across my garden? I hear cats hate citrus-smelling things.
>>
>>1012917
That's easy enough, just correlate your diet with what you can grow in your area. If you live in a temperate area you can add a greenhouse or polytunnel to extend your growing season or be able to grow year-round. You'd be amazing how many tons of food you can grow in a wee tiny area in a backyard. Though, it depends on what plants you grow and methods you employ. Also, 2.5 acres is plenty to completely feed most small families depending on diet.

>40k for 2.5acres

This is why I live in a location where 40k can buy you 20-30 acres.

>once a week in the garden

That's all the time many people have to work in their garden. The size of your garden will determine how long you need to be in it every week. If it is huge or you are using poor methods you will need to spend several hours each day doing something. However, a moderate-size garden and properly efficient methods will allow you to work at most 4 hours a week in your garden after everything is setup. That's optimal and most people don't know or have enough experience to be able to do things optimally.

I suggest starting small and working your way up to using more land. That way you can find out where the balancing point is for your amount of time, experience, and land usage.

>>1012926
>>1012931
Nothing should go into the vegetable garden until it has been composted properly. Otherwise, you can make your plants sick and you sick. This is especially true for feces.
>>
>>1012942
>know anything they hate that I can spread across my garden?

An electric fence.
>>
>>1012620
Use legacy captcha, go to settings>quotes & replying>select legacy captcha
>>
>>1012952
I use an electric fence to keep animals out. All the cats get zapped by it only 1 time then they never get close to it again.

>Where do you live?

Zone 5 and we are full.

>>1012961
It doesn't work for me. It removes the "Browse" button for posting images via the quick reply box. I just use a junk gmail account and use that to auto fill all the captchas when I feel the need.
>>
>>1012983
I'm European and don't know how those zones work. What state do you live in?
>>
File: c70.jpg (38KB, 590x341px) Image search: [Google]
c70.jpg
38KB, 590x341px
>>1012984
>What state do you live in?

I live in a constant state of blissful relaxation. Except for when isopods eat something they shouldn't.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170511-150229.jpg (274KB, 1052x1812px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170511-150229.jpg
274KB, 1052x1812px
>>1012923
Fox urine, or just post up with an airsoft gun that shoots around 100fps. Don't wanna hurt the kitty too much, but they will get the message. Either those or an airhorn.
>>
When should one top one's peppers the first time?
>>
File: Greenhouse to Go.jpg (132KB, 1445x836px) Image search: [Google]
Greenhouse to Go.jpg
132KB, 1445x836px
Anyone here ever tried these for mini greenhouses?
Those plastic cups for fruit salads, jogurts, etc. with the domed lids?
Drilled holes in the bottom and the side of the lid, added half an inch of small rocks and planting soil.

It doesn't take much space and is almost free.
Seems like a good idea for those without gardens or with a general lack of space.
>>
>>1012778
Its not took a much closer look and felt around.

>>1012836
You gotta let them dry out.

>>1012839
Does it have to be beer? What kind of beer would be best?

>>1012935
It's fine if you hotbox compost it for awhile or regular compost for 1 year+. Fortunately where I live there are plenty of cows and horses to take manure from.

>>1013009
Top them whenever you want to encourage them to bush or they get too stringy.
>>
>>1013021
Nah but my cousin is using her old egg cartons as planters, actually pretty cool and I wish I had a picture to show. Definitely not her original idea but still cool.
>>
>>1012952
>I would recommend doing the same
They're strays. I would kill them, but then I'll be that one evil person in the neighborhood.
I put up plastic fencing around it for now. I'll remove it when it's time to plant.

>>1013000
>an airhorn
wew
This would be hilarious, but I have neighbors.
>>
>>1013009
Doesn't really matter. Start when they get spindly, start when you don't like that they grow more in high than bushy, ....
But you can start when they get one or two pairs of true leaves.
>>
>>1013027
>egg cartons
Not the worst idea. The cardboard even dissolves over time, which means you could only cut the bottom out when transplanting, the rest will be gone eventually. Easy repotting.
>>
>>1013027
Three years ago I used egg cartons to house some buxus cuttings (I keep wanting to type this word as 'cutlings' instead, seems much more fitting in my opinion).
Turned out well, they were really tiny and they are shaping up nicely, wanted to make some bonsai out of them when they have a solid enough shape and stem.

The egg carton also easily sucks up water left on the dish so I didn't have to worry about them drying out so much.
>>
>>1013021
Huh, cool idea. I'll try it out next time I plant some seeds.
>>
how does one make a hydroponics nutrients from scratch?
>>
>>1013021
You can use a clear plastic cup over any patch of soil or container. The extra height allows the seedling to grow taller without needing to remove the cup on top. For instance, if you want to plant in 5-gallon buckets, you can do it right away. Just place the cup over the seed so it sprouts faster. You won't need to repot later.

>>1013074
Compost tea/manure tea

They are very easy to make and some hydroponics systems are built around that modification. Google: "hydroponics compost tea".
>>
>>1013074
>>1013078
http://eco-library.theplanetfixer.org/docs/hydroponics/tool-compost-tea-in-hydroponics-04-04-2012-v3-0.pdf
>>
>>1013078
>>1013081
Thanks! Will check this out.
>>
>>1013078
So what your telling me is to steal my friends cups from starbucks to make a minature greenhouse?
>>
File: L1bON.jpg (144KB, 1296x968px) Image search: [Google]
L1bON.jpg
144KB, 1296x968px
>>1013126
Most people call them seedling humidity domes. They can be anything from a small clear cup to a large clear tote bottom.
>>
File: MuhMelons.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
MuhMelons.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Fuck yes! Flowers!
>>
File: 20170511_173201.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170511_173201.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Just set up my first bee hive the other day, a warre. Seems to have gone well but I'm giving them some time before I open up to look for brood. Unfortunately my poor craftsmanship means they have an extra entrance/exit between the boxes on the side but hopefully it won't matter. Also my entrance feeder has attracted a few very small ants but I think the bees are managing.
>>
>>1013222
Very nice!

You just need to lift it off the ground 8 or more inches with a block. That will help keep ants and mice out of it a bit better. Patch the hole with a piece of cork.

What type of wood is it made from and will it be painted? Was getting the bee space just right difficult? All my hives are bought, but I want to replace a few hive bodies and make some extras.
>>
File: IMG_20170512_135613.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170512_135613.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Broad bean bro here.

Somebody said leafs getting Brown at the bottom is natural. But is it alsof nornal for thuis to happen at the very top?

Did I over feed the cow pallets?
>>
>>1013356
>is it alsof nornal for thuis to happen at the very top?

Is it wilting too?

>Did I over feed the cow pallets?

Yes, I think you were told that far above somewhere.
>>
Spinage in a wooden box. I fucked up growing spinage 3 years in a rowe and it went to seed immediatly and never grew. Apperently all it needed was a good amount of partly decomposed compost
>>
Every year around 2 out of 10 of the tomato plants i grow develop curled leaves and look extremely ugly but otherwise produce the exact same as the good looking ones..

Does anybody know what causes this?
>>
>>1013472
yep, correct soil is critical to getting results.

The two exceptions are beans and carrots/root vegetables who are tolerant of poor soil.
>>
>>1013497
Discoloration? Is it in the same part of the garden?

You might be missing some micro-nutrient like boron in part of your garden.
>>
>>1013000
You can use a regular bb gun at one pump.

If it doesn't penetrate an empty aluminum can, it won't penetrate small mammals.
>>
>>1013498
Ye I really found this out the hard way.
Last year I started making compost from the kitchen waste. Added a layer about an inch to all my beds. Everything grows amazingly this year. Fuck buying soil in bags at the store. Making your own soil is much better from what I can tell
>>
>>1013503

I use fresh high quality multi purpose compost every year and i grow in pots

All of the have been treated the exact same

I thinking maybe extreme changes in temperature could be the cause but i dont know why only some of them would be effected..
>>
>>1013472
Heat can make them bolt quickly. Use a shade cloth and keep them on the north side of a large structure like a house or something. Having them set into the ground can also help keep them cooler for longer.

>>1013497
I've seen that a lot. Mine will remain green though, so I know it isn't "tomato yellow leaf curl virus". It affects a small % of my plants usually, but they still produce fine.
>>
>>1013523
>I've seen that a lot. Mine will remain green though, so I know it isn't "tomato yellow leaf curl virus". It affects a small % of my plants usually, but they still produce fine.

This describes what i go through each year so i suppose its nothing to worry about
>>
>>1013529
It is most likely a heat related problem or a non-harmful virus that no one cares enough about to research since it doesn't harm things all that much if at all.
>>
My tomato sprout, two fennel sprouts, and a handful of my carrot sprouts had their tops severed last night, and I found a cicada shell right next to them.
Is it going to come back? Do these things travel in groups? Am I fucked? It did an awful lot of damage for just one bug.
>>
>>1013560
Cicada didn't do that. It is more likely a slug, snail, isopod, or cutworm. get some plastic cups, cut the bottoms out and place the cup over the surviving seedlings making a wall around each one. Push it into the ground about 1 inch.

Tonight, go outside to your garden with a flashlight and check all the plants. Look for slugs and isopods. Remember you've created a desert in your garden where the only food is your seedlings.
>>
>>1013579
Why can't the bugs just eat grass? Plenty of that.
>>
>>1013580
I guess the bugs are asking the same about humans.

>Damn, those lettuces were so tasty, why can't humans just eat grass? Plenty of that.
>>
>>101294
Mix cayenne pepper, ghost pepper and decaf coffee together in a coffee tin and scatter it around the plants.

Ghost peppers are optional, but basically any hot ass peppers work.

Works wonders.
>>
>>1013598
Sorry, that's a recipe for outdoor cat repellent.
>>
>>1013346
Thanks, I'll get a better stand eventually. It's just pine and I gave it a coat of tung oil which I'd prefer to paint. I did buy the hive as part of a kit to assemble which shouldn't really be hard but I don't do a lot of that so I messed up that one corner a little.

Did you keep feeding your bees for long? I read conflicting things. Most say to at least feed right at first so I am but I've got flowers everywhere and I'd rather they be pollinating. Have a cherry tree flowering, apple tree, dandelions everywhere, etc.
>>
>>1013628
Feed them, for a few weeks when it is a new hive to help them along, until they are fully established. After that you may only need to feed them in winter or under special circumstances.
>>
So, huh, how's the legislation about growing toxic or openly poisonous plants in your area?

I know talking about weed (and similar) is illegal in this board (it leads to bans), and I just found on my country growing opium poppy is illegal, but the other species are allowed. However, the authorities are a bunch of ignorant dumb asses, so most people don't bother for the risk of being arrested over some confusion.
>>
>>1013648
A lot of the vine flowers I grow are toxic or can be made into a drug, like morning glories and datura. But they aren't illegal unless you try to extract the toxic stuff from them.

I've been meaning to get a San Pedro cactus, and I would NEVER try to harvest any buttons from it.
>>
>>1013648
Do you own a hammer? It can be illegal too, if you use it incorrectly. "Intent" is all that matters with stuff like that. Some things should be pretty obvious though. Like how there's tons of shrooms all over, but no one gets arrested until they dry them, bag them, and try to use/peddle them.
>>
>>1012923
I have cats and don't see them avoid citrus trees or fruit on the ground. Vinegar might work.
The sound of spray bottles and hoses sends them running, because they are sensible.

Crazy idea: If you're not on any meds that might make it back into your food (ala hormones) collect your urine and use it diluted as a nitrogen rich foliar spray and spray it fresh and strong all over your property. Might be gross, might not work, but that's how cats say "Fuck off my turf"

Bird netting is cheap and easy too.

>>1013000
Air horn would be hilarious and effective.
>>
If I have a pepper plant grown in sub-optimal conditions, but from a high quality seed, will the seeds from that plant also be high quality, or do growing conditions have a large influence?
Do I need to do anything besides letting a fruit become fully ripe on the plant?
>>
>>1013648
I think that even here in the by far most bureaucratic cunt in the world (Goymoney), you can still buy/sell/plant all the nasty invasive stuff (Japanese knotweed, Giant hogweed...) without issue legally, not that I want to
For native toxic plants (such as belladonna, which interestingly is one of the world's most venomous and it's found here not in Straya) there's not much authorities can do because it's abundant and will seed itself over property boundaries anyway
>>
>>1013682
Cue the rule copypaste puritard in 3...2...1...
>>
File: 61yie+gt2ZL.jpg (68KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
61yie+gt2ZL.jpg
68KB, 350x500px
Where I should request free pdf?
Finding pic related. Also, suggest me a good book for tiered planters?
>>
File: 2017-05-12 19.46.58.jpg (1MB, 949x1316px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-12 19.46.58.jpg
1MB, 949x1316px
hanging strawb
>>
>>1013731
any strawbs that can be grown in tropical climates (with little to no spending on additional climate controller)? I missed those days.
>>
>>1013698
Some environmental factors do play a small part. The biggest would be a virus that infects the parent plant and is transmitted to the seeds. Which is why you don't save seeds from obviously infected plants. The next thing is how well the seed is able to develop based on the nutrients/water/light the plant is able to acquire. You may end up with some pretty thin seeds or some nice fat ones. That alone may dictate how well the new plant will sprout and grow.

There is some research where plants are super stressed by environmental factors or pests and will sorta imprint this on the seed so that next season they can already have their defences up. It isn't something new, just something reactivated.
>>
>>1013742
Chandler cultivar is pretty heat tolerant. They are grown in Florida and California.

http://strawberryplants.org/2010/06/chandler-strawberry-plants/
>>
File: apu apustaja goggly.png (52KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
apu apustaja goggly.png
52KB, 657x527px
>>1013752
>quick googling to buy
>don't ship internationally
every time
>>
>>1013760
Grow pineapples instead. Pretend they are large strawberries.
>>
File: apu apustus suruu lista.png (29KB, 685x590px) Image search: [Google]
apu apustus suruu lista.png
29KB, 685x590px
>>1013766
I like (real) strawbs more
>>
>>1013694
Gonna consume more whiskey tonight to make a piss spray bottle. Will give a report next weekend.
>>
File: mush.jpg (2MB, 1827x3248px) Image search: [Google]
mush.jpg
2MB, 1827x3248px
The mushrooms are in full force. Took this picture at 9am, they were melted away by lunch.

Bales are still reading ~90*F inside, but everything seems to be growing just fine.

Cukes and eggplants have put on new leaves, tomatoes are slower to start.

Sunflowers are looking p. nice and a hugel bin I started last summer has sprouted minimelon.
>>
>>1013793
I had some shrooms pop up in a bucket i had an onion growing in. it dispersed, was this bad, normal, or good?
>>
>>1013873

Good, it means things are decaying into nutrients
>>
File: a.jpg (336KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
336KB, 1000x1000px
>>1012616
What does /homegrow/ think about AeroGardens?
>>
>>1013711

My local library has the e-book available along with a bunch of others.
>>
>>1013886
very expensive fish tank parts
>>
>>1013021
>>1013078
>>1013166
Like the post said. I think this is intended for people who don't have gardens, gardening stuff or much space. Who just want to start a few plants on their dormroom windowsill or something.
>>
Aphids!!! How do I get rid of them for good?

My mint was attacked by aphids and they killed 25% of my total spearmint (despite having them in several containers to prevent this problem).

I went full sperg and manually killed all the aphids with twizzers, rubbed the survivors with alcohol, and rubbed the leaves top and down with alcohol to kill the eggs/ larvae. I repeated the process two or three times so remove the ones I had missed on the first round.

I cleaned from bottom to top to be sure that a minimum amount of the literal suckers escape in the soil.

It is rainy these days so my plants are over watered but I plan to let them drought when the sun appears again.

What steps to follow if they came back?
I cannot find ladybugs and I don't want to introduce ants to my balcony or I might have a bigger problem than I have now.
>>
well 16 out of 30 corn, not too bad. learning how to do compost. pumpkin time in a week our two. I think I planted the tomatoes on top of the corn and didn't get the blackberries our cantaloupe out.
>>
File: fgs.jpg (264KB, 2724x1000px) Image search: [Google]
fgs.jpg
264KB, 2724x1000px
Some of my peppers have these spots since today. The 3rd one also looks a bit weird around the edges. Something I should worry about?
>>
File: fgs.jpg (411KB, 1664x2000px) Image search: [Google]
fgs.jpg
411KB, 1664x2000px
>>1011459
Day 20
>>
>>1013873
Normal and good. It will decompose organic matter and is probably mycorrhizal as well.

>>1013886
I think everyone should DIY their own using cheaper parts and skip all the special electronics panel type stuff. However, if you want simplicity, go for it. Just balance out in your head what expense the unit is, how often you may need to replace it, versus how many growing seasons you can get out of it, and how cheaply the same thing can be done with a bit of DIYing your own system.

>>1013921
Yeah, but it is an great method for all gardeners, when starting seeds, when they don't have access to or don't want to buy extra stuff. Basically, it is a good way to reuse trash you may already own, which reduces the need to buy more trash. (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) I've been able to reuse some trash clear cups for 2 seasons already. The plastic isn't HDPE so it hasn't degraded at all in the sunlight. I'm hoping to reuse them for at least a decade.

>>1013957
>Aphids!!! How do I get rid of them for good?

Garden hose/shower hose. Spray them hard with water, but not so hard as to darken your leaves (which indicates damage to the leaves). Repeat every day for a week. FYI, most ants that interact with aphids actually farm them, moving them from plant to plant to acquire their honeydew. That makes the problem even worse.

>What steps to follow if they came back?

Spray them again. Just keep checking from time to time. If you keep an eye on your plants, the problem won't explode out of hand. Once gone, after that 1st week of repeated spraying, you'll only need to spray one time to get any that return.

>>1014052
How wet is the soil? It looks like store bought potting soil intended for indoor plants, not vegetable plants. If that is true, you need to know that most indoor potting soil isn't good for vegetable gardening because it holds too much water (too much organic matter, not enough sand). Peppers need well draining soil. When you repot/plant, add sand.
>>
>>1014059
You mean I spray them, the aphids fall on the soil but are still alive?

Won't they climb up again as soon as the water stop?
>>
>>1014059
>>>1014052(You)
>How wet is the soil? It looks like store bought potting soil intended for indoor plants, not vegetable plants. If that is true, you need to know that most indoor potting soil isn't good for vegetable gardening because it holds too much water (too much organic matter, not enough sand). Peppers need well draining soil. When you repot/plant, add sand.
It's a peat mix for vegetables, with a bunch of perlite mixed in, you can see it better in >>1014057
The soil is relatively dry, I watered em 4 days ago, so far I've been watering about once a week. I did add a tiny bit of fertilizer last time, maybe that was too soon, 2 weeks before that I also gave them a bit of fertilizer (half the dosage the bottle recommends). Maybe I should lay off the fertilizer for a few weeks.
>>
File: wet honey.png (918KB, 1090x1088px) Image search: [Google]
wet honey.png
918KB, 1090x1088px
>>1014061
Some do. However, the act of spraying them off is normally enough for the survivors to move on. The ones that die, die because of water damage and things on the ground eating them. They are niche insects, remove them from their niche and they have a hard time getting back. Normally, aphids only relocate when carried by ants or when they have wings to fly. Thus, the long march back up to the top of a plant, where the tender new growth is, can be more than they can accomplish

>>1014064
General flow chart: Once overwatering is ruled out, habitual underwatering needs to be ruled out (usually indicated not by yellowing or wilting [acute] but by reddening of the leaf tips). After that, you need to think about using fertilizer, as it can be a deficiency. I suggest taking new photos a couple days from now, of the same leaves. Then comparing them on your computer and seeing if the yellowing is getting worse. If it is, add some diluted coffee water the next time you water them (1 part coffee to 1 part water.) Once not enough fertilizer is ruled out, over fertilizing needs to be looked at

Check,

Underwatering: Acute sudden wilt for short term, purpling/reddening for long term (the latter is difficult to tell on purple/red leaf pepper varieties)
Overwatering: yellowing of bottom leaves
Too little fertilizer: growth is slow, yellow spots between leaf veins begin
Too much fertilizer: Acute sudden wilting, long term browning of tips
Disease: yellow/black/brown spots between leaf veins begin.
Pest: Acute wilting (root attack, fungus gnats, moles, grubs, etc), half the leaf tip wilts/browns and curls (leaf hopper egg sting), top wilting (aphid or sap sucking bugs)
Old leaf age: yellowing then browning or just browning then falling off

Since your soil is dry and you've already added fertilizer, I'd just water them and compare photos in a few days. If you think you've over fertilized, you can just flush the fertilizer out by flooding it with water for 5 minutes or so
>>
>>1013780
you're in the tropics. Get a mango tree ffs
>>
>>1014068
I grow my mint in containers so there is no insect or anything to eat the aphids.

So aphids don't live in the soil at all? I saw some aphid-ish insects on the soil while I was killing aphids one by one. They were brownish so I assumed these were aphids with empty belly and that they turned bright green due to the fresh sap they were sucking.

If I killed ALL the insects and eggs on the plant I'm good?
>>
File: 1428163328855.jpg (7KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
1428163328855.jpg
7KB, 231x218px
>>1012616
I'm in a bit of a dilemma, and didn't know where else to post. Here it goes

>mothers day tomorrow
>had gift already picked out (perfume and other girly shit she likes)
>she texts me
>now would like 3 "geranium flats"
>wtf are those.jpg
>google is no help
>panicking

pls help :(
I don't even know where to start tracking these things down
>>
>>1013598
Would this work for squirrels too?
>>
>>1014099
A geranium is a flower and a flat is a bunch of them. Go to a hardware shop or a supermarket with a gardening section. They're a pretty common flower, so most places should have them. An employee should be able to help you out.
>>
File: IMG_20170511_092231.jpg (4MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170511_092231.jpg
4MB, 3036x4048px
This is my first year planting, doing well so far. It's so exciting watching my seeds turn into food! This board has so much info, you guys are great!
>>
>>1014101
sweet, thanks for the help man. There should be a home depot around here somewhere
>>
>>1014068
Thanks! I'll keep an eye on em.
>>
File: Lacewing & Lady Beetle Larva.jpg (68KB, 391x479px) Image search: [Google]
Lacewing & Lady Beetle Larva.jpg
68KB, 391x479px
>>1014074
>I grow my mint in containers so there is no insect or anything to eat the aphids.

Most predators can fly too. You can also hunt for some aphid lions (lacewing nymphs) and lady beetle nymphs to transplant to your pots.

>If I killed ALL the insects and eggs on the plant I'm good?

For a while. Be vigilant.
>>
File: 1.png (4MB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
4MB, 1224x1632px
today in WWYD:
built a strawberry planter for the parents 2-3 weeks ago for the alpines i gave them, mixed up some soil and FORGOT TO LIME ffs. its a peat/perlite/vermiculite mix so its prolly a lil too acidic for balanced nute uptake, peats supposed to be ~4.5 ph standalone? first thought is take out all the strawberries, mix lime into soil and re-plant. p.obvious stuff

these plants were already stressed with root rot before being transplanted out of native soil and root-pruned. ironically they look better than before the move, but theres some clear micro-nute problem that needs fixing. when choosing between disturbing plants multiple times in a short period AND working with wet vermiculite, or sitting in low ph for another couple weeks, WWYD

reminder these are delicious strawberries we're talking about, i grant yall the ability to get photo-dumped
>>
File: 2.png (4MB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
4MB, 1632x1224px
closer shot of the top

top of the planter is all alpines, regular strawberries on the side with 1 alpine at the bottom
>>
File: 5.jpg (707KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
707KB, 1632x1224px
those pics are big as hell

more planter top
>>
File: 6.jpg (723KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
723KB, 1632x1224px
bottom alpine w/ calcium problems?
>>
File: 4.jpg (380KB, 1002x1031px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
380KB, 1002x1031px
more side strawberries

the issues being pretty varied are why i suspect nute lockout, but im worried they're just asking for more time to root out and "bounce back". general overreacting you know
>>
File: 7.jpg (813KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
813KB, 1224x1632px
last pic, overhead shot of alpines in planter top

dont forget to lime custom container soil mixes yall
>>
File: DSCN9845a.jpg (201KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9845a.jpg
201KB, 1024x768px
Woo, a 4th swarm just came into a prepared hive. Now I'm back up to 5 bee hives again.
>>
>>1014141
The only problem I've had with towers such as that is the high and narrow the water column. The soil at the top dries out and the ones at the bottom are always too wet. Also, the water will wash the nutrients from the top to the bottom. The bottom will then have too much nutrients which can cause root burn. Which this >>1014149 reminds me of classic root burn.

Test the soil for pH then you will know what the next step is for changing the pH is needed.
>>
File: Photo0809.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0809.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
progress

and I combed all my apples trees for apple ermines larvae, I will have no choice but to keep an eye on them
>>
File: 465.jpg (48KB, 620x258px) Image search: [Google]
465.jpg
48KB, 620x258px
>>1014234
Looking good. What are you going to do with all those taters?
>>
>>1014268

Boil em, mash em, maybe stick em in a stew.
>>
>>1014268
>>1014312
>>1014234
>tfw eating Yukon gold potatoes (soup with onion tops) left over after cutting the eyes out for planting.

Man, I have like a 50lbs bag and the way I cut the eyes out, gives me a great deal of potato left over to eat.
>>
File: IMG_20170514_011801.jpg (559KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170514_011801.jpg
559KB, 1600x1200px
this has to be some next level tier
>>
File: 20170514_010807.jpg (830KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170514_010807.jpg
830KB, 1600x1200px
bonsai
>>
>>1014391
>>1014394
I give up trying to tell you they need more light...
>>
File: rsz_20170513_200752.jpg (253KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20170513_200752.jpg
253KB, 1080x1080px
The place I just bought got a fig tree, are they any useful at anything? Don't know anything about them beside it a fruit of some sort.
>>
>>1014412
thats camera flash
>>
>>1014424
nah, man. they're leggy as fuck.
>>
File: 1.jpg (211KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
211KB, 720x960px
>>1014172

gonna test after flushing a couple times, i tried 4 samples just now but these rapitest tab kits are historically variable for me so im never sure. 4 tests resulted in 5/6/6/7, they were fertilized yesterday tho. the regular SBs were p.deficient of phosphorus before i transplanted them out of the ground, the alpines came from stock i babied without issues

for reference i use dynagro FP fert(9-3-6?) every other watering on container plants, maint dose on the bottle specifies 1/4tsp to a gallon but ive been feeding half of that since potting them. they looked hella sad on top of heavy root pruning so im hoping they appreciate the lighter feeding :(

[rant-ish warning]absolutely agree on planter though, kinda splitting hairs at this point trying to establish SBs for the folk(pop "knows his shit" in gardening lol) which in itself is fucking silly considering how weed-y they are. 1st year: in-ground with constant dog trampling. 2nd year: re-located to another in-ground spot that floods(???). ideally i'd like one of their raised beds bordered off so a portion can be permanent SBs, OR a nice wide long planter. he likes neither of those options so i made them the Thing You Always See Strawberries In! i dont mind checking in on the challenges that come with that design, ultimately its about getting some thick-headed minds(i love) some tasty healthy SBs so whatever it takes

really though, between SBs runners going everywhere and potting mixes requiring bi-yearly maint these tower designs are more PITA than plants need to be

>>1014391
>>1014394
are these tomato plants? man please mound up more soil and take them off sun punishment
>>1014413
if you're serious you struck homeowner silver, gold would be mature avocado i think. fresh figs are a bitch to get @ a fair price without buying a crate

heres a wild bramble that decided to pop up
>>
>>1014428
theyre accelerated
>>
>>1014424
Light to grow them with.

>>1014438
The suckers on my tomatoes are larger than those in >>1014391 in half the time.
>>
>>1014413
Two factoids about figs:

- They can grow fruit all year long, depending on the weather and soil. So, as long as you take care of it, you can always find some ripe fruit to eat. The only downside is that birds also love figs, so they may eat some of the fruits that aren't still ripe.

- Figs have some of the largest root systems, and are very aggressive. Is entirely possible for a fig tree to grow again even if cut down to ground level. Therefore, they are very resistant in general.
>>
>>1014431
>4 tests resulted in 5/6/6/7

I guess I'll find out how variable this test is >>1012817 this week.

>every other watering

I think that's too much. How many days apart is that? I would hold off because of the way those leaves look in >>1014149
>>
>>1014439
mm

mine are on a different level....

my tomatoes are developing more branches for yield.

if i were racing to finish it would be soon to.

the bonsai are cherry tomatoes
>>
>>1014052
Since the soil is full of perlite, I'd say old leaf, or very very light manganese deficiency (usually under-matured compost or high pH) if these are younger leaves, or magnesium if these are older leaves.
How are the roots? Nothing too root-bound?
I would check how it evolves with time, but would not worry for the moment.
>>
>>1014431
Thanks, I didn't know fig was somewhat valuable. I will see if I can make Jam with
>>1014444
Great that they are resistants resistants, i have not water them at all. Should I give it manure and other fun stuff?
>>
>>1014134
I don't know where to find these larvae considering I live in a city but I'll capture ladybugs should I meet one.
>>
>>1013711
square foot gardening is a meme
>>
Where should I buy see online? I did research and it seem ebay snd aliexpress is pretty shady, no idea about etsy since it pretty much have the same picture as those on the other site.
>>
>hasn't rained since May 1st

Which god do I make an offering to?
>>
File: morels.jpg (710KB, 2125x1196px) Image search: [Google]
morels.jpg
710KB, 2125x1196px
Post/share morels

Shout out to the anon with dreams of indoor growing morels in large amounts. It's possible, we just have to find a way. I'll study mycology specifically for it if I have to.
>>
Is it too late to start anything?
>>
>>1014607
How hot is it where you live? If you haven't or don't start within the next week you're going to be very late in the game.
>>
>>1014607
beans
squash
>>
>>1014559
Look for businesses who sell in your country.

>>1014607
No one has even planted yet where I live, except me. They are just plowing now. Zone 5, fyi. The local greenhouse opened up about 2 weeks ago.
>>
>>1014622
Fellow zone 5er here. I think tuesday is finally planting day.
>>
File: 2017-05-14_11-50-54.jpg (775KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-14_11-50-54.jpg
775KB, 1000x1500px
>>1014413
At least you already got fruit, my seedlings from Oct. 2015 are still tiny.
Maybe next year if I'm really lucky
>>
>>1014647
Yeah, nighttime temps jump from 50F up to nearly 70F after Monday night. I planted my stuff on April 6th. I'm prepping to cut bottom suckers off my tomatoes and plant them in another garden. I already have flowers on all my plants.
>>
File: IMG_20170514_171340.jpg (1MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170514_171340.jpg
1MB, 4640x2610px
>>1014068
>>1014465
Yes, I just noticed that it's only showing on the oldest leaves, not on any new growth, so it might just be that. I'm gonna hold off on fertilizer for a while either way, and keep a close eye on em (which I was doing already anyway, muh babies).
Strawberries also seem to be doing okay, I cut off the first flowers 2 weeks ago, and after a sad few days from I assume transplant shock they perked right up.
>>
>>1014607
depends where you live. got a hard frost last week where I live, so I'd be fucked if I had plants in the ground already.
>>
Who else has a kill count already?
2 watermelon/cantaloupe/squash to cold and over watering from rain
2 squash to slugs or chipmunks
>>
>>1014741
A few tomatoes from late frost, and a couple peppers and watermelons got sunburnt
>>
>>1014741
2 cabbage, 2 cauliflower, lost to moths.
Rhubarb up and died for some reasons unknown.
>>
File: DSCN9855a.jpg (457KB, 1048x1508px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9855a.jpg
457KB, 1048x1508px
I tested the soil in 1 spot of 1 raised bed today (took forever). Here's the results. Note that the water levels and soil level were proper prior to shaking.

>>1014741
1 Yellow Crookneck Summer Squash Plant: Isopods, Slugs, and Oxidus ate the stem.
1 Watermelon: stem damage, but something was wrong with the roots. It withered.
Unknown amount of brassica seedlings that I didn't expect to live due to being so tiny when ripped apart and planted. They were mostly devoured by isopods.
Unknown amount of sunflower seedlings due to isopods. I don't even know how many actually came up or how many I planted.

Pretty good stats for the start of the season and planting outside a whole month ahead of everyone else.
>>
>>1014741
Some thyme seedlings that couldn't handle the sun yet, apparently.
>>
>>1014547

It's a meme for a reason.
>>
File: LizardBro.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
LizardBro.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1014741
I killed one retarded grapevine I had started. The thing was tangled in its roots, trying so hard to get out from under the ground.
>>
>>1014782
Cool lizard. Yours or wild?
>>
File: 20170514_132935.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170514_132935.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1014786
Wild, they are all over my house. I see this one eating bugs and sunbathing on my kale alot.
>>
>>1014782
>>1014789
At least I have snakes living in my raised bed walls. There's only like 2 types of lizards in this area, but I rarely if ever see them.
>>
>>1014582
We had 3 days of overcast and about as many drops of rain. Much disappoint.

>>1014741
4 tomatoes not hardened off slow enough and 5 Squash plants. All fruits failed to thrive despite calcium and manure added before planting. I'm thinking it was too much sun and some early aphid damage that just borked the baby flower buds. They were pretty old seeds too. I've got a new crop of Zukes and yellow squash, so we'll see.

>>1014756
When you say isopods, which kind are you referring to in particular? I just imagine horseshoe crabs all over your yard.
>>
File: DSCN9266a.jpg (251KB, 1786x878px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9266a.jpg
251KB, 1786x878px
>>1014802
>When you say isopods, which kind are you referring to in particular?
>>
>>1014810
lewd. This is a blue board.

Captcha: Gardens assis. very lewd
>>
>>1014741
~10 shallots from crows who thought it was fun to pull on them and not touch them any further
>>
>>1014820
My schnauzer would bring me heads of romane lettuce I had just planted, to see if I could regrow them.
>>
File: DSCN9858b.jpg (1MB, 4092x1528px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9858b.jpg
1MB, 4092x1528px
>>1014815
Gardening is pretty lewd in general if you think about it.
>>
File: IMG_20170514_132549.jpg (2MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170514_132549.jpg
2MB, 1520x2688px
Are these juniper berries (California)?
>>
>>1014855
A 2-second google image search could have saved you the time of posting that question and allowed you to ask, "wtf are these, I know they are not juniper berries." I've no clue what they are, fyi. Cali has so many imports.
>>
File: 20170514_170413.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170514_170413.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
What's going on here? Can't see any spider mites and Ive seen them before so I know what they look like. Carolina reaper plant
>>
>>1014741

A bunch of shit I tried starting in containers. Everything in the garden is fine despite getting snowed on and temperatures in the 20s a few weeks back so I think I'm just going to stick with that method instead of trying to get a jump on spring.
>>
>>1014892
Lots of wind recently? Much of that is physical damage. Is it an old leaf near the bottom?
>>
>>1014928
>>>1014892 (You)
>Lots of wind recently? Much of that is physical damage. Is it an old leaf near the bottom?
Old leaf near the top and yes it has been very windy
>>
Anyone got any good information on bonsais? I went to the national arboretum today and now I really want to get into it.
>>
What is the best bug I can buy for genociding caterpillars?
Mantises?
>>
>>1012984
You wouldn't know.
They're zones set up by the USDA based on how cold places in US get and serve as a decent enough guide for what can be planted where.
>Zone 8b here
>just warm enough for citrus
>not too hot for blueberries and blackberries
>life is good
>>
File: IMG_7787.jpg (241KB, 637x402px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7787.jpg
241KB, 637x402px
>>1012984
>>1015086

Forgot the map that explains everything
>>
>>1013957
Grow ONE tobacco plant.
As it grows up, collect the leaves, crumble them up and put int a spray bottle you will later fill with water.
Spray said tobacco water on plants you want to not be eaten.
Aphids will be genocided.
>>
Went looking at overgrown front garden plot two weeks ago and discovered all the weeds that had been shitting up the whole were blackberry brambles.
With fruit on them.
What's more they tasted great.
Now thinking about putting up a trellis to encourage them to grow where I want them to.
Where do I go from here?
>>
>>1015109
Trim them very thoroughly to prevent wild growth

They're probably Himalayan blackberries, if there's five leaves

That shit will take over everything and be hell to take out every last bit of rhizome without cutting yourself a lot

They sell thornless varieties that are easier to manage, if you change your mind
>>
>>1015079
pic or BT

>>1015109
Just make some paths into them to make it easier to harvest. You'll need to add some mulch, compost, or fertilizer once in a while.
>>
>>1015109
Keep an eye on their roots and trim them back on a yearly basis. So long as their roots don't get fucked they are very sturdy plants and your greatest enemy will be the birds.
>>
>>1015127
>trim them back on a yearly basis

In what manner? Only 2nd year canes produce fruit.
>>
>>1015126
What's BT?
>>
>>1015172
Bacillus thuringiensis
>>
>>1015125
Did some checking. They look to be Sawtooth Blackberries (Rubus argutus). They grow wild around here.

>>1015127
Not really worried about that.
The birds are the reason they're here in the first place.
I had been thinking of planting some blackberries in my yard but didn't know what or where. These fell into my lap and taste better than anything in the store or local you-pick farms. I can deal with bird-related crop shrinkage when I have no money invested.
Besides, the plants are stil small. They'll grow.
>>
>>1015224
I'm not entirely sure about that particular berry cultivar, but i think the general consensus is that you select 2 to 3 "canes" on each side of the plant and train them on their own wires with jute or other organic twine so they fruit the next year, then cut them to the ground after they've fruited and gone into dormancy.
The new shoots that came up that year are then trained up on the wire and the process is repeated until the end of the plant's life.

How accurate is this?
>>
>>1015146
you trim the tops off the canes that will produce fruit by a few inches. In order to encourage them to fruit more and you trim out the ones that are too old to fruit. In order to encourage new growth and encourage bigger/more fruits.

Generally you trim them the same time of year every year. When the plant starts to hibernate is when you wanna trim it like you do with trees.

>>1015224
Keep an eye on their roots. Trees and bushes have strong root systems. Problem is if it gets fucked the entire plant is toast and its even worse if there is a tight cluster in close proximity to each other.

Plus with dense clusters like that any kind of problem in the root system like certain fungi is a HUGE problem. Entire orchards and bush farms have been known to bite the dust due to bad infection in one of the roots of a plant that were able to spread to the rest due to density.
>>
File: klima.png (86KB, 1510x306px) Image search: [Google]
klima.png
86KB, 1510x306px
>>1015086
It's just one part of the bigger picture though, mostly an indicator for how perennials will get over winter.
I'm in 8a but also in Yurop, so it's rather oceanic and not a lot of summer heat, some zone 6 or even 5 places in inland Murrica have much better summer heat for growth.
Here winters are mild enough for windmill palms to survive, but the cool summers make stuff like pomegranates, olives and watermelons, even some apples like Cripps Pink borderline to ripen out, Japanese banana usually won't ripen at all
>>
File: IMG_20170515_130238.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170515_130238.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Great start of the week!

1/2
>>
File: IMG_20170515_131304.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170515_131304.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
2/2

This soil is so much better than the cheap 1 euro shit I bought. It's light and full of compost. My lettuce and kauliflower are going to love this.
>>
>>1015266
I don't know, the idea of trimming blackberries in that manner seems like a ton of work that isn't needed. Those things spread like wild fire and make amazing bramble bushes. I've always just maintained paths through them (rows are best), kept feeding them, and they produce like mad. Though, some years it pays to water them if it is dry.

I'm sure that if you are managing a very small amount of plants, trimming the tops might seem like a good idea. Just like this >>1015248 about wiring them up.
>>
>>1015327
I also have a question. Is 4 inches of soil enough for planting lettuce and kauliflower or should I add more soil?
>>
>>1015332
>>1015327
>>1015326
Looks nice. You need about 8-12 inches of soil at the very least. For non-head lettuce you can get away with 4 inches, but cauliflower and iceberg needs more.
>>
File: IMG_20170515_151244.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170515_151244.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>1015339
Thanks for the reply. I have about 8 inches of really high quality soil now so I'm just going to give it a shot.
>>
I have to plant grass for the first time ever. Seems easy enough, but what do I look for in grass seed? Is there anything that's better or worse for a lawn, or should I just purchase whatever?
>>
File: bobo.jpg (197KB, 588x768px) Image search: [Google]
bobo.jpg
197KB, 588x768px
>>1015027
Chili's are apparently a good introduction, bonsais have fascinated me for a long time too, but I was always intimidated by it. Then I found this: http://www.fatalii.net/Bonsai_Chiles_Bonchi
You can have one ready in a year, instead of the several years a 'bonsai from scratch' needs.
I'm still growing my first pepper plants, so I'm not nearly there, but I have high hopes.
>>
>>1015371
It really depends on what you want out of the grass. If you ever graze animals on it you'll need to stay away from some types of grass. You really should only use local cultivars of grass too. Those will do best in your area for heat, cold, pest prevention, and precipitation.
>>
File: lb.jpg (230KB, 904x619px) Image search: [Google]
lb.jpg
230KB, 904x619px
>>1014445
ive got some flushed samples drying now, but im glad you hammered home fert burn enough to remind me vermiculite holds nutes on-top of being typically alkaline(explains the ph tests). i fert only after flushing the medium in-case of salt buildup, but its still prolly holding too much for recovering roots. heres the fert label, i know some people use the maint dose up to 2-3x a week but most users have a 511/fast-draining soil mix. ive been feeding with half maintenance dose, 1x a week so far since its been cold and rainy. imma chill on feeding since id be much happier w/ seeing clear nitrogen deficiencies vs the clusterfuck of symptoms now, ill swap to foliar feeding for a bit to see how they turn out. all plants are flowering/setting shapely fruit, its just im pulling mostly everything off anyways since i need healthy leaves more :(. ph makes more sense, but next tests should say for certain

>>1014741
onion chives look like garbage since the early spring hot/freeze cycle, half the clump rotted and the other half is dealing with perfect(but declining) isopod conditions

10-day forecast looks good, seeding muskmelons today and sweet potato slips should be ready by the end of the month. still hardening off some houseplants, but these temps are a great help. pineapple wont look pitiful anymore!!
>>
File: DSCN9982a.jpg (168KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9982a.jpg
168KB, 1024x768px
>tfw a quart of fresh harvested strawberries, 2 cups of peppermint herbal tea with honey, and a cup of steamed buttery wild green for lunch; all from my farm (except the black tea)

>>1015456
Yeah, typically, I don't fertilize for a week or two after transplanting. That is important if they show signs of wilting when transplanted. Though, with the soil I build, I rarely need to fertilize.
>>
>>1015248
Not a domesticated cultivar.
It's a separate species of wild blackberry native to the eastern US.
The berries are smaller than the domestic varieties; it flowers and fruits a little earlier too.
Otherwise, it behaves just like any other blackberry.

>>1015248
>>1015266
>>1015330
Thanks for the tips. Will get some twine, tie the plants up and start watering/lightly fertilizing.
Due to severe drought where I'm at they've already bloomed and fruited for the year, but at least I can get the newer canes big, healthy and trained on the trellis for next year.
>>
How thick does a stem need to be before it's safe from cutworms?
My squash is spread too wide for me to get a cup around the base to protect it, so I'm hoping it won't need the protection.
>>
Reeee it might get into the 20s
REEEE
>>
File: pACE3-10458327enh-z8.jpg (105KB, 1305x1305px) Image search: [Google]
pACE3-10458327enh-z8.jpg
105KB, 1305x1305px
>>1015476
Watering them will be especially important while they are making the berries. In the spring, before the new shoots come up, you can cut out all the dry brown dead canes that fruited the year before. On the rare occasion that I do this, I use a tree/brush trimmer style like this so I can reach in a good bit into the bramble bush. Keep in mind that these "bypass" ones sometimes warp a little and jam when trying to trim something as a steep angle. A perpendicular cut is best with this. The "anvil" style are easier to use for high angle cuts without jamming.

The wild blackberry canes are much thinner than the cultivated varieties, so you shouldn't have trouble cutting them with either style tool. You may want to wait until the buds come out so you know 100% which canes to cut out.

>>1015484
Usually thicker than a pencil. It isn't just cutworms, there's also Oxidus and Isopods that readily chew up the stems, though isopods are the worst and most pervasive. The latter are normally what has cut something off instead of an actual cutworm.

>>1015490
Cover with buckets, bedsheets, plastic trash bags, etc. Just use sticks to prop up the stuff to keep it from touching the leaves. Is that 20C or 20F? 20C shouldn't be a problem at all. 20F plus a clear sky = frost.
>>
>leave for a few days
>some cunt bird tore through my nicely mulched mound
on the bright side my okra sprouts are poking up through the destruction
>>
File: IMG_20170515_151242.jpg (3MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170515_151242.jpg
3MB, 1536x2048px
Made a custom tomato cage from a section of animal fencing. Anyone here done this? Normal cages fall over when the plant gets to a certain size, so I hope this cage prevents that.
>>
File: IMG_20170515_192820.jpg (260KB, 1539x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170515_192820.jpg
260KB, 1539x1000px
>>1014052
>>1014059
>>1014465
>>1014068
Update. Still only the old leaves that are showing it.
>>
File: fgs.jpg (718KB, 1824x1000px) Image search: [Google]
fgs.jpg
718KB, 1824x1000px
>>1014057
Day 22.
>>
>>1015405
Pretty cool, snibbed bepper thoughts?
>>
Hey lads, i got a real issue with squirrels. I have a whole family of them that will dig up anything i plant at all, and the chili pepper method works okayish, but the rain makes it pretty expensive to constantly buy peppers all the time. Is there any other solutions?
>>
>>1015561
That should do well and last a life time. I'm using cattle panels, in a straight line, for tomatoes and such. I'm using t-posts to hold them in position. Mine are 2 feet off the ground to give me more vertical room.
>>
File: 137349.jpg (444KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
137349.jpg
444KB, 1600x1200px
>>1015590
Bird netting and a feeder in a different location of the yard.
>>
File: image-20170515_205426.jpg (4MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
image-20170515_205426.jpg
4MB, 2610x4640px
>>1015588
Well, it's my first time growing anything properly, and I snipped em all, but so far it seems like they really benefited >>1015570
Opinions are mixed, it seems if you have a longer growing season, it won't make a really difference in the end.
>>
>>1015593
I considered doing something like that but was concerned they wouldn't support the tomato plants as effectively that way. Does that seen to be a problem, or no?
>>
>>1015610
Normally, caged tomatoes are grown to be bushy and use determinate cultivars. Mine are indeterminate varieties and grow so long as the environment doesn't get too cold.
>>
>>1015413
No grazers, just pedestrians. I'm in the city, I need something that can survive being walked on a lot.

Plenty of rain here most of the time, that shouldn't be a problem.

How do I know what's local? The bags of grass seed I've glanced at didn't mention where they originate.
>>
Would it be a bad idea to try and get a job in botany or something similar when I went to a magnet school for environmental science and then college for it (but never graduated)? I want to try going above retail and busywork which doesn't want me, apparently.
>>
File: IMG_0013.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0013.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Please help me identify this weed? It's all over the side of a backyard I've just gotten jurisdiction over.

Zone 7A East Coast USA

1/2
>>
File: IMG_0016.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0016.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1015700
2/2
>>
>>1015702
>>1015700
I'd guess some sort of Galium, maybe this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galium_aparine
>>
>>1015667
Since you are in the city, go ahead and get whatever seed has the best advertising, because it really won't matter too much.

>>1015700
>>1015702
>>1015710
Yeah, it is Bedstraw. It is edible and you can make coffee from the roasted seeds. They actually have caffeine.
>>
File: Galium_aparine2.jpg (134KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Galium_aparine2.jpg
134KB, 640x480px
>>1015700
>>1015702

Goosegrass?

Kinda looks like that
>>
my hydroponic tomatoes are wilting after I moved them from a bucket to a rubbermaid tote :( I checked the air pump, ph, ppm, temperature, and for bugs but other than the usual suckers that nibble on the leaves there wasn't anything that I could find wrong. maybe tomato jesus has just decided it is their time to go.
>>
What are some other hobby that fit with gardening since plant take a while to grow? Beekeeping? Wood carving?vermicompost?
>>
>>1015926
Did you sterilize all of your equipment before transferring the plants?
A bacterial infection that gets into the water can wreck tomatoes in short order.

Also, if you have moved them from low light conditions to high light, you may need to supplement with a little Vitamin B1 and lay off the fertilizer for a bit until they revive.
>>
>>1016011
Foraging my dude.
>>
File: t20170510_202332.jpg (255KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
t20170510_202332.jpg
255KB, 600x600px
>>1016014
Yeah, I make fences out of branch, is that forgaging?
>>
File: rsz_20170515_144819.jpg (427KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20170515_144819.jpg
427KB, 1080x1080px
Make my first sod today. Was thinking of using it as a paver but seem like a waste just to walk on it.
>>
>>1016015
>is that forgaging?

It is.
I like to forage for wild foods though.
>>
>growing 1 purple potato plant from true seed
>beetle larva like a wire worm eats the stem out, underground and it dies

FFFFFF

>>1016011
I do bee keeping too, but it only needs to be done every so often. There's not much work unless you have a large operation. The same goes with farming. Vermicompost and related are not very time filling at all really. Adding farm animals will help. Be careful, you will be dangerously close to non-hobby territory. lol Where I live that's making over a grand a month in produce or animals, even if you don't sell them and make money. Then you have to call it a, "small farm" or "farm". It is the slippery slope to reduced taxes in the USA.

>>1016015
The only thing that lacks is more sticks/limbs. Look up how to make a "Wattle Fence" and go gather more stuff. You won't need string. You just need sticks and they don't need to be perfect.

>>1016017
Build a chicken house with them.
>>
File: orgonite-and-plants-1a.jpg (107KB, 525x496px) Image search: [Google]
orgonite-and-plants-1a.jpg
107KB, 525x496px
>>1012616
So, do you guys use orgonite for plant boosting?
>>
>>1016317
No.
>>
YUGE harvest of swiss chard tonight for din dins
>>
>>1013711

book . zz
>>
>put peppers in little greenhouse
>hot as balls today
>come home, several have leaves that look completely deflated, just flimsy little flaps left
>looks completely fucked
>give em all a bit of water and put em outside in some shade
>hour later even the worst one totally perked up, leaves look as good as new
everythingwentbetterthenexpected.exe
>>
After harvesting 2 leaves from every chard plant i have i now realise i planted way to many
>>
>>1016371
>>1016434
pics m8
>>
>>1016434
You can always sell the extra for a bit of money. Post on Facebook or something that you're selling home-grown chard, someone may want some.
>>
>>1016394
Most plants like the same conditions you find comfortable.

>>1016434
>2 leaves from every chard plant

I plant so many that I can harvest 1 leaf from 1/8th of my crop for a meal. Every time I harvest, I harvest from another plant. That way at least a week passes between harvesting from the same plant. That way, it doesn't stress the plants too much.
>>
File: Photo0810 - Copy.jpg (577KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0810 - Copy.jpg
577KB, 1600x1200px
first year I tried this and I think I can already call it a success, occupation rate is pretty good. Next year I'll definitely drill more holes in the remaining logs
>>
>>1016476
bees or wasps?
>>
>>1016471
>Most plants like the same conditions you find comfortable.
I know what you mean, but personally I'm more a mushroom type guy. Dark and cool. I start sweating at 20°C

Another question too, my soil mix is airy, but if I let it dry out before watering, as is recommended for peppers (or so I've been told), the water doesn't properly penetrate the soil. it almost seems water repelling.
Should I just absolutely soak em when it is watering time, or is this normal? So far they all seem to be very happy with the conditions & watering schedule.
>>
>>1016484
bees, I wish I knew what kind but they mostly do their stuff when I'm not around. I guess I'd need some camera trap to find out
>>
>>1016487
I would guess carpenter bees.
>>
>>1016485
>I know what you mean, but personally I'm more a mushroom type guy. Dark and cool. I start sweating at 20°C

Brassica and chickweed love cool temps too.

Soil repelling water is an indication of it being too dry. You can flood them when watering, that is normal. It just needs to be allowed to drain and not remain pooling. Though, it may be best to simply water a bit sooner than you normally do.

>>1016491
It depends on the diameter of the holes as to the type of solitary bee/wasp it attracts.

>>1016476
>>1016487
What are the diameters of the holes?
>>
>>1016492
>What are the diameters of the holes?

ranges from 8 to 4mm, I wanted to house orchard bees but the ones I've seen are so huge I'd probably need to drill 10mm holes
>>
>>1016499
Orchard Mason Bees? I think they need 5/16" which is about 7.9mm. There are several species and each requires a different size hole, so you may be seeing a larger species of mason. Typically, the bee range for all species, not just masons is from 2mm to 10mm (1/16" to 3/8")but no smaller/larger.
>>
>>1016501
Forgot link,
http://www.foxleas.com/make-a-bee-hotel.asp
>>
>>1016501
>>1016503
the reason I didn't go lower than 4mm is because I broke a 3mm drill bit in the process, it tends to overheats really fucking fast

thanks for the link btw, they say some bees might nest later in the summer so I think I might not wait for next year and drill some more
>>
>>1016394
Peppers are tough. They can take some abuse.
>>
>>1016492
>>Soil repelling water is an indication of it being too dry. You can flood them when watering, that is normal. It just needs to be allowed to drain and not remain pooling. Though, it may be best to simply water a bit sooner than you normally do.
Even when there is still water in the bottom? Some pots are as dry as I described, but the pots are seethrough, the bottom half is still moist, and they obviously weigh more.
(note: only talking about peppers)
>>
>>1016510
Yeah, you need to back the bit out and let it cool then continue very frequently for small bits in wood where you can't use a cutting oil.

>>1016519
You'll just need to play it by ear. Those sorts of things are due to soil composition and height of the container. The taller it is the dryer at the top and wetter at the bottom it will be. I normally water when I stick my finger into the soil up to the second joint on my finger and it is dry. If it is moist and cool I don't water.

Mulch can help with the top staying moister for longer without much impact on the root level soil moisture. You'd only need about 1.5 inches max for that effect. Anything deeper will starkly impact everything. Just remember, even if you know about all these things, it doesn't mean you should do them. Just look at your pepper plant to see what it really needs.
>>
>>1016521
Alright man, appreciate the input!
>>
>>1016521
Just curious but why is more mulch bad?

I always thought more was better up to 5 inches.
>>
>>1016317
No but I do use basalt for the paramagnetism
>>
>>1016012
shoot that's probably it. I used a larger airstone from a different bucket where the plants weren't doing well.
>>
I steamed my chard and ended up overcooking it to a mushy mess.
Whats the best way to cook chard?
>>
>>1015710
>>1015764
>>1015773
Thanks guys. It's very sticky, like the wikipedia page says, so that's probably it. I have very little space, so I'll probably uproot it to make room for some stuff I want to grow. It's one of those plants I've never noticed before a few years ago, but now seems to be sprouting everywhere.

>Galium aparine, ('aparine' from Greek 'apairo' - “lay hold of” or “seize”) [2] with many common names including cleavers,[3] clivers, goosegrass,[3] catchweed,[3] stickyweed, robin-run-the-hedge, sticky willy,[3] sticky willow, stickyjack, stickeljack, and grip grass, is a herbaceous annual plant of the family Rubiaceae.

Seems almost unfair that one plant gets so many cool names.
>>
>>1016600
steam for less time and it's perfect, or give it a quick stirfry but don't overdo it.
>>
>>1016601
>sticky willy

Lewd
>>
>>1015926
>hydroponic tomatoes
>tomatoes
Sure thing bud'
>>
>>1016615
they really are tomatoes! I'm growing basil, chard, and I tried spinach but only got one to germinate and then it died. The amount of effort and risk involved in growing marijuana wouldn't even be worth it.
>>
>>1016624
Can you show us your setup? I'm interested in hydroponics but would have no idea how to get started. None of the tutorials I can find on youtube make me understand it.
>>
File: maters.png (47KB, 853x899px) Image search: [Google]
maters.png
47KB, 853x899px
>>1016624
here's a really bad paint picture since I'm too lazy to go outside.
I bought an 18 Gal. Roughneck Tote from home depot and drilled a 3 inch hole in the center for the net cup, filled the baby with water, added my nutrients at the ratio labeled on the bottle, added a little aquarium air pump and some long blue airstone things and then let the plant grow.

it has actually been a really cool experience but I don't like changing the water weekly, it's a real pain in the butt. I buried the tote because it's in florida and that is supposed to help regulate the water temperature.

those are 2x4's on the sides that I had laying around until I replace them with pvc or metal and then I did some bastardization of the florida weave with string to support the plant.
>>
>>1016659
it's essentially just replacing soil with a solution of water and nutrients, there are some variations like the kratky method that don't even require an air pump because the plants will put out air roots.
>>
File: skeptical deer.jpg (79KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
skeptical deer.jpg
79KB, 640x640px
>>1014068
>See this
>See previosu anons post about shit eating my plants leaves
>Yellow leaves on the bottom of some plants
>Realize we've had a month of fairly intense rain in east Kansas
Shit, the wet soil in my garden and all the soil around it must be a breeding ground for all the shit that want's to eat my precious broccoli, peppers and tomatoes. I shouldn't have been so stingy in making my raised bed outta logs, they probably let even more insects into the soil than one made of planks.

If I leave off watering for only once a week, and never watering when it rains will that make up for this? I'm trying to do something nice for my parents.
>>
>>1016566
Only use mulch if you need to use it for your type of gardening. Applying mulch to the ground helps keep in moisture and cool the soil. With peppers, you want them to drain well and not rot due to high moisture. Thus, you don't want to put a lot of mulch on peppers. The thicker the mulch the more moisture it will retain in the soil and the cooler it will be.

>>1016600
>>1016604
Yeah, I steam mine very little and I keep checking on it. I use a bamboo steamer that has multiple levels on it. I place it on top of a tall stock pot that has 1 inch of water. I'll put stuff like carrots and potatoes in the bottom level and leafy greens in the very top level where it is cooler. I only steam them until the leaf is still a bit springy and has not started to turn dark.

Having more distance between the water and the food helps a lot.

>>1016716
Water in the morning, when the soil is dry down to about 2 finger joints, and ring the stems with some cups with the bottoms cut out. It'll be fine.
>>
>>1015590

apply .22s liberally

.17 if you don't live in a free country
>>
>>1015600
>Feeding the pests
>Not just shooting them
What is wrong with you?

>>1016790
A BB gun would work perfectly fine as well, they're just squirrels.
>>
>>1016790
>>1016795
compromise, a pellet gun that shoots .17
>>
>>1016795
Trap crops and trap feeders are a pretty normal part of gardening. It keeps the pests away from your crops.
>>
File: spacebuckets.jpg (71KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
spacebuckets.jpg
71KB, 620x387px
I'm thinking about making a Space Bucket.
I live in a bachelor pad and pay rent. The backyard is small and only gets sunlight in the morning plus I'm not sure my Landlord would like me tearing up the backyard.
I mainly want to do this as a /diy/ project since I've always wanted to make a miniature hydroponics or something similar. Plus I have the spare parts lying around so it would be easy to build.
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these and what other kind of plants work well with them? I was thinking of trying Bell Peppers though I was thinking it might be a pain pollinating it.
>>
Its not too late to plant pumpkin is it?
>>
File: 13.jpg (737KB, 1006x437px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
737KB, 1006x437px
>>1013793
Little Coprinopsis lagopus!

>>1013873
Good. They decompose organics in the soil and make them bioavailable, and raise phosphate contents.

>>1014603
Keep shouting! We are almost there... In the meantime: Prepare for November outdoor growing for spring time morel harvests.

>>1016011
Mushroom cultivation
>>
>>1017052

You're good. In fact if you planted any earlier you'd probably end up with summer Pumpkins which would be a problem because human remains smell pretty bad in the heat.
>>
>>1017075
I got several type of basic mushroom spawn, can i just find a piece of log and dig a hole into it?
>>
>>1017050
Those buckets are way too small for the foliage of most vegetables. You can use them for most greens though.

>>1017098
>tfw planted pumpkins a month ago

>>1017124
You should use fresh logs cut from a newly fallen tree. That will give your fungi the best start with the least competition. Seal over the tops of the holes with wax.
>>
>>1017148
You're gonna get August pumpkins
>>
>>1017148
What kind of wax should I use, candle?
>>
>>1017075
You the guy who can grow morels?

I wanted to find cultivation methods for both major species of morel and for chanterelles, but google searching hasn't been very handy.
>>
Replanted my Lemon Tree and Jalapeno into bigger pots
Thought about one thing though, would it make sense to add clover seeds to the pots I transferred the 2 plants too? Taking a complete guess here, but would having clover growing with these plants help keep the soil from drying out so easily/prevent other weeds from growing/help with nitrogen levels/maybe even help with the swarms of tiny bugs that seem to be laying eggs in the soild?
And on another note, what does it mean when a Jalapeno plant grows red and/or orange peppers? During the winter my plant grew 1 green pepper, 1 orange, and 1 red one and another red has started growing now
>>
>>1017181
Wax from a hobby store or online. Soy works and has a good price.
>>
>>1017190
Use small stones.
>>
>>1017154
August Pumpkins is my stage name.
>>
Sow some sunflower seeds last week in a pot indoors. They sprouted and somehow the stem looks weak. They yet to grow the true set of leaves but grew more than 6 inch long soft stems. Do I have to provide support? Or was it overwatering? Do I have to put them in the sun at this stage? but it's always raining outside..
>>
>>1017218
Did you start them in the middle of the room? Sounds like they were standing way too dark
>>
Anyone ever grown musk strawberries (f. moschata) or green strawberries (f. viridis)?

My f. virginiana and f. vesca have started flowering, but my musks and greens have not yet set out flowers.

I was going to upload pictures but this shit site is held together with duct tape and keeps giving me "upload failed" errors.
>>
>>1017201
Sounds like an even better idea than mine, thanks
>>
I planted pumpkins, see if any of them come up.
>>
>>1017218

nigga they called sun flowers just cause your pale ass don't need no sun don't mean your pants don't
>>
>>1017154
I don't celebrate holidays so there's no reason to have them for Thanksgiving or Halloween. I don't even grow jack-o-lantern varieties in the first place. I pressure can them and have them all year round. I still have several boxes of quart jars from last year.

>>1017181
>>1017195
I used wine bottle wax. Any wax will work.

>>1017190
You can do that. I've done it before. I've also done >>1017201 this and it works a little better because of the lack or maintenance. Gravel also kept out opossums, raccoons, and cats from digging in the pots.

>And on another note, what does it mean when a Jalapeno plant grows red and/or orange peppers? During the winter my plant grew 1 green pepper, 1 orange, and 1 red one and another red has started growing now

Jalapeno peppers are ripe when red. If they start out red/orange without a green stage it is also normal for that to happen from time to time. I'm not sure what environment variables cause it.

>>1017218
More light!

>>1017233
I've been getting errors on 4chan all day.
>>
>>1017300
same here, errors all fucking day
especially when posting images
>>
>>1017300
>I don't even grow jack-o-lantern varieties in the first place. I pressure can them and have them all year round. I still have several boxes of quart jars from last year.
What kind of pumpkin is good for that?
>>
>>1017300
>>1017304
chinkmoot fucked up the servers again. Posting went down for a few hours earlier as well. Maybe he should invest in actually good servers instead of making new boards.
>>
File: ww.jpg (46KB, 550x688px) Image search: [Google]
ww.jpg
46KB, 550x688px
>>
File: Untitled.png (783KB, 867x1163px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
783KB, 867x1163px
>>1017316
Large ones with less flesh. The walls will be thin when compared ones meant for eating. Color and shape also play a role. There are quite a few varieties:

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/bbbw_prd/on/demandware.static/-/Library-Sites-JSSSharedLibrary/default/dw91ca1e7e/assets/information/pumpkins-jack-o-lanterns-comparison-chart.pdf

Pic is pdf content.
>>
File: fgs.jpg (492KB, 1881x1000px) Image search: [Google]
fgs.jpg
492KB, 1881x1000px
>>1015570
Day 24
>>
>>1017377
Cute skellingtons.
>>
File: 674876426063773402-account_id=1.jpg (253KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
674876426063773402-account_id=1.jpg
253KB, 2048x1152px
>>1017381
Thanks! I misclicked to /toy/ 2 years ago around halloween, saw the skelly thread, and knew I -had- to have some. Relatively expensive to get em here, but no regrets at all (except for the kid skelly, it sucks).
>>
>>1017377
Are these going to be inside all the time? Regardless, it is time to plant or repot in something larger.
>>
File: Surprised Chin.jpg (29KB, 191x228px) Image search: [Google]
Surprised Chin.jpg
29KB, 191x228px
>>1017384
>>1017377
STAHP, THIS IS TOO SPOOKY!
SKELLY A SPOOKY!!!
>>
File: fdgds.jpg (878KB, 1492x2054px) Image search: [Google]
fdgds.jpg
878KB, 1492x2054px
>>1017388
Oh no, not at all, I now only put em inside in the evening, because for some godforsaken reason the temps inside stay in the high 20s (C) for a good part of the night. Daytime they spend outside in the sun, or in the little greenhouse.

I was indeed planning to repot them to their final destination somewhere next week, and start handing them out.
I'm keeping a numex twilight, bolivian rainbow, explosive ember, and a caramel bhut jolokia for myself. Gonna give away the rest to friends & family.

>current status of all of em in pic
>>
>>1017395
Ah, that's nice then.
>>
File: 2017-05-17_23-11-00.jpg (418KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-17_23-11-00.jpg
418KB, 900x1200px
>>1017377
Other German (Upper Rhine) here, since the ones I have in the ground are still struggling with the effects of sunburn, I'll just post my 3 potted ones, which have been going crazy in the current 30°C weather.
Cayenne hot pepper (top pic left and bottom detail) is the furthest and already puts out tiny fruit. California bell pepper (middle) is still slow, unnamed Hungarian bell pepper (right) is doing a bit better
>>
>>1017413
Nice man, mine still need a lot more time I think before they start flowering.
When did you plant yours, and how long did it take to germinate?
>not from Germany btw, NE part of Belgium
>>
>>1017427
Kek, I'm always confusing you with the Thüringen guy it seems

Anyways, I sowed indoor in late January, and after they sprouted (using the heater near window + plastic cover method, which means it took 4-7 days to sprout at constant 30°C) had them under grow light 24/7 until around mid-March, when I repotted some and put a few outside in the ground. The 3 I kept potted were more carefully and gradually sun-hardened, going outside in the shade first for a few hours in late March, then more and more sunny, and since late April I have them constantly outside
>>
>>1017377
Snips suggester here, try snipping its two heads again now, just the tips where the leaves are packed close together and not yet fully grown. It's great seeing the progress pics as the plant gets visibly stronger.
>>
File: New Thread.jpg (65KB, 526x350px) Image search: [Google]
New Thread.jpg
65KB, 526x350px
NEW THREAD: >>1017450
>>
>>1017384
>I misclicked to /toy/ 2 years ago
>I -had- to have some.

I know that feeling... fucking board, they are better at advertising than any advertising agency.
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 90

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.