[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Packs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: alice-pack_camo_w_frame.jpg (97KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
alice-pack_camo_w_frame.jpg
97KB, 800x800px
Hey there /out/, some of my cousins and I want to go hiking/camping this summer on some trails around the state. I have an alice pack I swiped when I was in the Marine Corps and would use when I was opfor, but I never really had to hump with it, so I'm curious how it holds up when it comes to going innawoods? What packs would you recommend? For reference, I do not have a frame for it.
>>
>>1005120
Is there an REI or equivalent near you?
>>
>>1005120
Depends on the weight you want to carry and for some special /out/ occupations (mountaineering etc.) it makes sense for some special models.
In general I just go to a reputable outdoor store, check what brand packs are on sale and buy the one that fits my criteria and price range best.
from most to least important
>comfortable fit
>has a frame that can handle the weights I intend to carry
>good material and workmanship
>pockets and layout of pack fits my habits
>color
>>
>>1005154
The closest one would be about 45 minutes away.

>>1005164
Nothing crazy, just enough for a weekend, though I'd honestly be a tad unsure how much weight that would actually be. A couple of stripped down MREs(I literally have 12 boxes of them), water(arguably will be the heaviest thing I'm carrying), a change of clothes, hammock, sleeping bag, and a few odds and ends totaling no more than 5 pounds.

That pack has lasted pretty good for years, I do like the pocket layout(our issued assault packs, by comparison, were awful). If I'm going to use it, I'd like to get a frame for it too.
>>
>>1005120
Alice packs are surprisingly rugged and comfy. Just a tad heavier than civilian packs.
>>
>>1005171
>Nothing crazy, just enough for a weekend, though I'd honestly be a tad unsure how much weight that would actually be
Depends a bit on your climate and your gear, but if we say temperate and you are not an UL fag, then maybe 25-30lbs and 40-50L volume should do the trick just fine.
>>
>>1005171
Just go to REI and try on a bunch of different packs. Forget price, just find what fits the best with some weight in it. Once you have a few that you like, worry about price and whatnot. Fit is everything for backpacking.
>>
>>1005120
where is the best place to get an alice/alice frame?
>>
>>1005287
any surplus store will have them for cheap.
>>
>>1005120
I have an alice I use for everything, I swear by it, personally. Just remember to wear it after you pack it to be sure it fits well. Get a frame and it wont be a problem but they are heavy
>>
>>1005262
Thanks.
>>1005272
I'll do that the next time in Pittsburgh.
>>1005374
I've used it a few times and I did enjoy it's fit, but I never really used it for any distance and I know enough about hiking that something you'd have no issue carrying around for a little while can be a different experience given some real mileage.
>>
>>1005120
>File: alice-pack_camo_w_frame.jpg (97 KB, 800x800)
>>>/k/
>>
>>1005466
>t. can't read the rest of the op
>>
File: IMG_7817.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7817.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Picked this up for 30€ and it came with 3 waterproof little bags, the metal cargo support thing and spare belts I'm guessing for attaching a blanket or whatever. Also it's absolutely new. Still havent taken it /out/, whats some other essentials for summer outings up in the north?
>>
File: IMG_7818.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7818.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1005526
I dont understand why 4chan always flips my shit
>>
>>1005527
Tried feeding it an already upside down photo to see if it flips it back to normal but still uploaded upside down, how do I fix this retarded shit?
>>
>>1005120
It'll be fine, it's not rocket science.
>>
>>1005287
Midway USA usually has them.
>>
>>1005120
I recommend the kelty redwings. Pretty comfy packs with good storage capacity and features. Also kinda cheap now since a new gen of them are coming out, so the old ones are on sale. I got the 44L one for 60 bucks, originally 130.
>>
>>1005120

If you want to have a frame, pick up a Down East Inc (DEI) 1606AC polymer frame. It's shorter than the one on the MOLLE packs, and holds up better than the aluminum one issued with the ALICE system. Tactical Tailor, BDS, and Fire Force make a good set of straps and kidney belts for the pack for replacements, but they're not cheap as the mass produced surplus.
>>
File: 1472773637517.gif (145KB, 720x513px) Image search: [Google]
1472773637517.gif
145KB, 720x513px
>>1005272
>Forget price

Or, you know, OP could just use the perfectly good backpack he's already got?...
>>
File: teton.png (238KB, 899x453px) Image search: [Google]
teton.png
238KB, 899x453px
>Size 18.5 " x 10" x 7", total capacity 1100 Cubic Inches/18 Liters

Can I do better for $40 or less?
>>
>>1006640
How essential is the frame? Every pack I've had to actually hump with never had one.
>>
Want to get inawoods talk me out of buying this as my first pack.
http://thehiddenwoodsmen.com/product/prototype-ruck/
>>
>>1005528

Move out of Australia.
>>
>>1005120
alice packs aren't bad but i wouldn't go tent + sleeping bag camping with them. not enough room for your shit. if you are sleeping by tarp, bivy or hammock they can probably work ok.
>>
>>1006755
Craigslist nigga!
>>
>>1007243
>alice packs don't have enough room for a tent and sleeping bag
holyshitballs you just kicked hornets nest
>>
Try it and see how it goes. If it doesn't go well, go to REI and get a different pack. If it does go well, great. Don't buy shit you don't need.
>>
>>1007243
OP here, I am 90% sure I could fit those both in there. I do know how to pack.
>>
>>1007243
You tie that shit to the frame. or to the pack itself. It's why the lid straps are so generous. When it comes to old school packs, things like bed rolls, tents, and sleeping bag go outside. New ones actually have compartments for something like a sleeping bag which at least in the US case is supposed to remove the need for a tent.
>>
>>1005287
EBay or amazon. Or a Local gun show might have them.
>>
>>1007203
>160 dollars
>basically a normal school bag
you are autistic if you are being serious
>>
>>1007788
Maybe? Give me some suggestions.
>>
>>1007904
See
>>1006546
>>1005374
>>1005272
>>1005164
>>
>>1005526
hey what pack is that and where did you get it for only 30€? Seems pretty ideal anon
>>
>>1007203
How the fuck do they justify the price tag? Fjallraven is starting to seem practically priced.
>>
>>1008284
its the ALICE pack, a guy was selling them here in Spain, had an ad up on milanuncios.com
>>
>>1008289
>http://thehiddenwoodsmen.com/product/prototype-ruck/
Uhh, its handmade?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.