[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own threads.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 46

Continued from:
>>17249811

Why is that some Off road tires are loud as fuck on road and some aren't? is it the compound or just tread design?
>>
>>17272777
Can't it be both? Also who is this semen demon
>>
>>17272856
look like an mx3 or something
>>
>>17272856
Its a NB coupe, they only sold them in Japan.

No I was just under the impression that all off road tires were just noisy on road, until the the other I had a jeep pass with I think 33's by and wasn't much louder than the basic 70/235 Wranglers I had on my truck.
>>
Hi br/o/s. I was changing my plugs today, and noticed cylinder 3 wont torque properly. The plug will keep spinning and won't come to a tight stop. How fucked am I? I guarantee its the cause of my rough idle.
>>
>>17273028
buy a helicoil set and fix it or get a shop to do it if you're not comfortable tapping it yourself.
>>
>>17273039
How much money am I looking at if i bring to a shop? Thanks for the reply
>>
Gimme it straight. I want to look for a decent 90s dodge neon and soup it up with a 2.4l engine. Some writeups I have read don't make it sound like an impossible swap, and I already l love the way the suspension in the stock neon rides.

Could be done on the cheap, the car Ave parts aren't worth much.
>>
Whats a good way to protect from hail damage? My area has occasional spots of hail, nothing too bad but id still prefer to prevent as much damage as possible. Would a basic blue all purpose tarp from walmart provide much protection? If its falling fast enough, or is big enough, i get that itll still cause damage, but would the tarp mitigate any of it? If not what else could i use?
>>
Is it a wise investment to buy a car with hail damage if it's priced lower than it's usual used price?
>>
Is it bad for the engine to bounce on a custom set rev limit? Like say 4k rev limit
>>
How do I make an I4 engine sound better? And no, I am not swapping in an engine with more cylinders.
>>
>>17273252
like a 2-step type of thing? It's only bad if you severely retard the ignition timing to the point where it sounds like you are in robert-hours Chicago.
>>
>>17273252
its not good for an engine to spin and instantly drop then spin up at a very fast rate nonstop
>>
>>17273290
intake
>>
>>17273362
like a new manifold? how does that change the sound?
>>
File: Honda-Civic_Type_R-2018-ig.jpg (312KB, 2160x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Honda-Civic_Type_R-2018-ig.jpg
312KB, 2160x1200px
What is Honda referring to with "structural adhesives"? pic related.
>>
What's the 4 door equivalent to the Miata?
>>
>>17273730
there really isn't one. What makes a miata a miata is it is light af and has two seats
>>
>>17273089
6 gorillion dollarydoos
>>
>>17273134
>give it to me straight
sounds fun, but do you need some farmer on a thai coconut growing forum to tell you that?

>>17273194
a garage or car canopy/portable garage would work better
a tarp won't do anything except rip
>>17273246
depends if the damage is easily repairable
>busted windshields yes
>dented A pillars and roof no
>>
>>17273457
the wing
just glue gunned on that son bitch
>>
Can I get a throttle body from the junk yard or is that a bad idea.
My car randomly dies on me when Im coming to a stop. Not safe at all. Usually doesnt throw any codes which made it hard to diagnose but one time I was right by autozone when it did it and it had a code saying the throttle motor was the issue.
>>
>>17274171
what car?
>>
>>17274255
2002 camry
>>
>>17274305
chinkshit is always the answer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-COMPLETE-THROTTLE-BODY-ASSEMBLY-FITS-2002-2005-TOYOTA-CAMRY-2-4L-2AZFE-/121778798585?fits=Model%3ACamry
>>
>>17274315
its a v6
>>
File: IMAG0219.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0219.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
Is this too big of a gap to jury rig with drifters stitch? I'd prefer a new bumper altogether but that is not in my budget
>>
>>17273089
60-100, maybe less if you know the shop really well.
>>
>>17273457
Almost all manufacutrer use adhesives in addition to welding in the construction of the Unibody.
>>
>>17273730
A four door E30, or E36 still will be heavier though.
>>
Is there any point to using all season tires in Southern California?

It's 90+ in the summers, 65+ in the winters, and It almost never rains.
>>
File: 1476626664647.jpg (88KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1476626664647.jpg
88KB, 640x640px
>>17272777
Is the noise of the side of the tires hitting the road. I have Mickey Tompson MTZ's on my TJ Wrangler. It makes a lot of noise for the first week after I rotate them. I have no doors or roof so I really hear them.
>>
File: 20150624_171218.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20150624_171218.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>17273017
>33's on a Jeep.
That was me
>>
My car burns oil, but only after a warm start. No smoke during driving.

Is it valve seals?
>>
Lost my brakes yesterday coming home from work in my 98 camry. Did the front pads,rotors and calipers a couple of months back. The fluid looked fine when I checked the master cylinder. Best guess what went out?
>>
>>17274982
valve stem seals usually smoke on initial startup when cold
>vehicle sits
>oil leaks past seals
>vehicle starts
>burns the oil
>no problem for rest of daily driving
>not enough time for noticeable amount of oil to build up until shut down at night
I'd check the PCV first
>engine gets to temp
>PCV can't get rid of blowby
>forces oil into weird places

>>17274999
probably a brake line, the Japanese love to use steel hard lines and thay are prone to rusting and leaking/breaking
>>
>>17274386
should be okay, but use big ones since it 's on a bend or they'll break

>>17274781
but when it does rain you socal fucks have concrete freeways that offer no grip
>the grooves, they do nothing!
and what if you take a trip to somewhere wet??
get the all seasons
t. grippy pavement district 1
>>
>>17275065
Was thinking it might have been a line. I checked and there is no brake fluid left in it. Whats the best way to determine which line?
>>
>>17275065
Already changed the PCV.
>>
So replacing my stock air intake with a totally rad intake gave me a neat scare this morning when the engine was running super rough and dropped dead at idle. I threw the stock intake back in because I didn't realize the problem was going to be a thing until some intense googling.

How long does it take for an ECU to figure out how much more air it has to work with?
>>
>>17275115
fill it back up and sherlock the leak
easiest with a helper to stomp the brakes while u look
wear safety glasses 4 real
or look for leak trails, but these can be hard to find
>look above the rear axle
also look for brake fluid near the calipers/wheel cylinders to eliminate the possibility of those leaking
>wheel cylinders tend to get leaks, calipers usually don't
>>
>>17275155
as long as it takes you to unplug the battery for 30 minutes
>>
>>17275176
Don't be a faggot with a trip. You say 30 minutes but most places said 10.
>>
File: 1365253003320.gif (2MB, 403x234px) Image search: [Google]
1365253003320.gif
2MB, 403x234px
>>17275189
depends on the car m8

either way dont be a faggot anon
>>
>>17275124
is it a turbo? have you done a compression test?
not a lot to troubleshoot out here, it's probably a gasket/seal or the rings unless you have a leaky turbo
>>
>>17275189
>most places say ten
if you get in and stomp on the brakes to drain charge faster, maybe

>>17275195
he's not wrong, you know
>>
>>17275230
N/A

Fuck it, i'm gonna run some high mileage stuff in it for a while and see if that reconditions the seals.
>>
>>17275242
do a compression test, you'll feel better br/o/
>testers are usually free to rent
>>
>>17272777
Radial tires vs. Bias tires. Bias tires are noisy as fuck.
>>
Whats it called when you have a Y pipe welded into your exhaust with one side attached to the rest of the exhaust and the other has a valve over it that you can open to let the exhaust out at that point instead of at the back of the car? I know thats a bad description, but its the best ive got. I used to know it, a friend said it was a blow off valve but i know thats wrong.
>>
Still pass only posting?
>>
>>17275528
exhaust cutout
>>
>>17273457
Some of the body is literally glued together, aeroplanes have been built like that for years.
>>
>>17275624
This and They're also called butterfly valves.
>>
Would a radiator from an 01 1.6L DOHC automatic Hyundai Accent be transferable to an 02 1.5L SOHC manual? I need a new one for the latter, but can't find anything but the former, which has a physically wider radiator with two extra smaller hoses running to the gearbox.

Could I
>a) fit the new radiator on the improper brackets with zip ties well enough to drive without concern
And
>b) route the transmission hoses back to each other to create a closed circuit without issues
>>
Hey guys which is the better car: 2017 Civic Sedan Si or 2017 Mazda3 2.5 Hatchback
>>
Say theoretically I'm building a really car out of a RS neon and parts from a junked srt4, plus a 2.4l engine, but I wanted a 6 speed transmission. Is that possible in this case? I realize this is a very specific question
>>
How does one flush a used radiator?
>>
can someone give me a quick rundown on chip tuning?
>>
When I push on my brake pedal it almost feels squeaky down by my foot but I don't hear any noise

What is this?
>>
>>17276324
Go to a tuner shop, get them to use their several grand worth of equipment to do it for you.

>>17276248
By putting in a Cooling system cleaner letting it set for several days then flush it out with fresh water.

>>17276100
Did that engine ever come coupled with a 6-speed? No? Then No is your answer.
>>
>>17276338
How can something "feel' Squeaky?

Probably your vacuum booster.
>>
>>17276348
Damn. Oh well. Oem trans is fine. I just wanted to try 6 speed without going full miata
>>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DK704149-2002-2006-TOYOTA-CAMRY-2-4L-THROTTLE-BODY-ASSEMBLY-22030-0A010-OEM-/172635483061?hash=item2831e06bb5:g:bZUAAOSwHptY-UnU&vxp=mtr

Does the throttle motor come with the throttle body. Or would I have to by that separately.
>>
I'm at my wits fukken end. I'm driving a 2013 focus with Bluetooth. OK. Now when I go to scan for devices my phone can "see" SYNC (the car), but refuses to connect.

Sometimes it does, and it's completely random, I cannot replicate conditions for pairing. I tried to unpair and repair but now neither device wants to talk to the other, this is insanely frustrating.

Is all Bluetooth like this? Yes ok, go ahead and make fun, haha retard doesn't understand Bluetooth, ok, now suggestions?
>>
I'm moving from a state with emissions tests to a state with no emissions tests next year. My inspection sticker for my current state (NJ) is good through July 2018 and I'll be moving in March next year. Because my sticker is valid can I just delete my cat now because by the time it expires I'll be in a new state or should I wait it out?
>>
How do americans manage to drive off with the handbrake/e-brake engaged? Disregarding the fact that the instrument cluster shows the red brake symbol (that you should notice anyway, since it could also indicate a problem with the brakes themselves),

It's also completely obvious when taking off. In a manual, you end up stalling the engine if you try to mechanically take off, or notice that the engine starts lugging when the clutch grabs. In an automatic I guess it's obvious too, as the car doesn't crawl when you put it in D and step off the brake.

So, what's the reason?
>>
>>17277210
You act like this is a common problem, which I assure you it isn't.

Simply becuase most Americans don't ever use the parking brake.
>>
>>17277138
You could risk it and cut it off and a cop pull you over and just by chance see that its removed.
>>
>>17277275
I've read a non-zero amount of anecdotes and seen pictures of this. In my european shithole, exactly zero people drive with the handbrake engaged.
>>
>>17277281
>I've read a non-zero amount of anecdotes and seen pictures of this.

So it safe to assume that you never take baths and your women never shave because I've read non-zero anecdotes and seen pictures of it? In my American shithole everyone takes a bath regularly and women wouldn't be caught outside with unshaven anything.
>>
>>17277210
I've done it a few times in Ferraris with ratcheting handbrakes that lay flat like in the 355 and 550. Europeans don't do it because you can't overcome the force of a parking brake with a .8 liter diesel.
>>
>>17277310
Don't you look at the dash before taking off for any warning symbols? Especially in old italian cars where missing the battery charge warning could mean you end up stranded in the middle of nowhere with your shitty Marelli ignition smoking.
>>
>>17277210
>In a manual, you end up stalling the engine if you try to mechanically take off

t. guy who has never drove anything with over 100 ft lbs of torque
>>
>>17277323
>Don't you look at the dash before taking off for any warning symbols?
No, I'm a mechanic, I'm immune to them
>>
>>17277210
>why are amerifats so stupid lol
They're not, but our stupid people are way louder than our non-stupid people

I assure you, nobody I've known has ever had this problem
>>
File: 20170515_155658.png (3MB, 2627x1346px) Image search: [Google]
20170515_155658.png
3MB, 2627x1346px
From last thread:

Got 2 amps, both for free, and not sure which to use. Might end up selling both. Dont care about muh bass or any of that. Which would be better for overall quality/clarity?
>>
>>17277279
Not if he goes full stancefag and drops his car to half an inch above the ground.
>>
>>17277281
>euro shithole
Got that right senpai
Imo most car owners here in the us dont care much about their vehicles. They CBF to do basic maintenance half the time. Its not hard to google how to change your oil or something, and then go from there and learn more about your vehicle.
>>
>>17277950
Based on name alone I'd go with the alpine.
>>
>>17272777
So the passenger CV axle in my 06 si is fucked. Can a bad CV axle eventually cause you to need to put more gas when starting off to get moving or is that a completely different issue? Also, is it one of those things that I'd have to replace both sides or can I just do the bad side and keep the other one?
>>
>>17272777
Is there an AWD SUV that gets more than 25 MPG?
>>
Got MAF failure recently. One of the replacement MAF I got makes the boost on my stock turbo sky rocked all the way to 55psi, the fuck is happening, how can a MAF do something like that?
>>
>>17272777
What gauge wire do you use for parking lamps? The wire on my car disintegrated when I replaced them.
>>
>>17278898
Suzuki jimny
>>
File: IMG_0199.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0199.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
What is that weird silver metally looking can thing on top of the intake manifold, next to the throttle?

Car has a weird symptom where it has this extremely weird rattling sound when at around 3500 rpm and it stutters a lot. Sounds like someone was sticking a straw into a fast moving fan
>>
Does anyone have experience with using climbing chalk to prevent sweaty hands from slipping the steering wheel?
>>
I hear vibrations out of my back two windows when driving, my car shakes a lot when I drive past 20 mph it's a Honda accord can anyone tell me what's wrong. I took it to a mechanic and they said its perfectly fine...
>>
So my brakes are fucked and I just took my car into a shop to get them looked at. There's a grinding noise coming from the front. I thought it was the right wheel, it's the driver's side one. They said it was because my calipers had seized, in addition to one of my brake pads being non-existent. Essentially, they told me I needed new calipers on the front AND back, as well as new pads and new rotors.

I know none of you can inspect my car right now, but how much of that sounds like bullshit? Because if the E-brake uses the rear wheels only, then the rear braking feels fine. I'm not trying to get fucked by a shop. I can get a friend to help me replace pads, calipers and rotors. I just need to know if it's necessary in the rear as well.
>>
>>17277060
Dont have a problem with Sync in my 2016 Focus, always connects without asking when i jump in the car, maybe ask a ford dealer?
>>
File: amarok-2010-eulp3.jpg (13KB, 232x174px) Image search: [Google]
amarok-2010-eulp3.jpg
13KB, 232x174px
So I have a bunch of parts laying around for a potential project car.
I want to try to put a 2.0 TSI engine in an NC MX5 shell that I have. The problem is keeping it rwd.
I can use a VW Amarok 6 speed transmission but I live in the US. So I was thinking, I have family in Mexico that can easily get one.
TLDR; Is it legal to bring a VW Amarok transmission from Mexico into the US?
>>
>>17280925
Fixing your brakes yourself isn't that hard. It can be done in an afternoon with a jack and a friend, or even by yourself if you don't have any friends. As far as needing new calipers, take them off and inspect them yourself before you do anything. There's a couple little sliding pins between the two halves of the calipers. If those move freely, then the caliper is good. If not, you need to replace it. You'll definitely want new brake pads as soon as possible, and when you do that, you'll want to replace both left and right of at least the front brakes, and all your pads if the back ones are bad as well. Don't let autozone trick you into getting ceramic pads, because while they are better for braking, they're harder on your rotors, and if yours are already worn, you'll have to replace the rotors sooner. I'm also assuming you've got rotors for all four wheels, and not rear drums/front rotors.
>>
>>17280728
Just get gloves.
>>
>>17280859
Take it to another mechanic, get him to ride with you for a drive, Vibrations could mean anything.
>>
>>17281001
Probably since its not related to emissions.
>>
>>17281042
Yes sir, rotors on all wheels. In that case, I will be working on it tomorrow. I have a friend that's knowledgeable about cars, we can jack it up and see if it's *hopefully* just the front.
>>
>>17280925
You won't know its necessary until you take it apart.

Even it it was fucked, you wouldn't know because braking is done 75-100% by the front brakes depending on load, and the emergency brake relies on a secondary system different from the Pedal brake.
>>
what would cause my acceleration pedal to feel sorta "grindy" i guess would be the best way to put it. not vibrating, but sort of like pushing the pedal through some sandpaper.
>>
>>17273424
Imdependant throttle bodies are the answer you seek. See youtube.
>>
>>17276879
That's the motor attached to it, so you figure it out.
>>
>>17277060
Yes all Bluetooth is like this.
All of my cars will not sync on Bluetooth except after fucking around with it for an inordinately long time. BT is just shit. The only thing I have that just works is a little portable speaker thing.
>>
>>17281896
Dirt in the cable housing or a frayed cable. Also check the throttle linkages on the engine, they might need some oil. There's not much else to check. You should fix it though or risk having the throttle stick fully open when you press it all the way down.
>>
Should I get this as my first car?
http://www.merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Lezh%C3%AB/AUTOMJETE/Makina/Audi/A3/Audi-A3-/4242318
>>
>>17281995
sweet, I'll check that out when i do my sway links tomorrow. thanks my man
>>
>>17282076
I don't know, is it a Miata?
>>
I bumped my neighbors car this morning damaging mine and nothing to his. Should i bother doing anything?
>>
>>17282228
its an audi a3
live in Albania no miatas here
>>
>>17282076
Get a shit car as your first car, so when you get an actual car it'll feel that much better.
>>
Rookie driver here, can hand over hand be used for regular steering? How do I get in the hang of not slowing down too much when turning? Also I keep getting told that 9 and 3 is wrong and that 10 and 2 is right.
>>
File: IMAG0541.jpg (3MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0541.jpg
3MB, 1520x2688px
The throttle body on my car has epoxy on it.
I looked at one at the junk yard and it also has epoxy on it. Is it manufactured that way. Its an 02 so Im having a hard time googling if its normal.
Pic related.
>>
File: Mvc-003s.jpg (64KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Mvc-003s.jpg
64KB, 640x480px
how does it work
>>
>>17283535
normal.

they don't want you opening shit up and fucking around with the internals. TPS is on the other side where you can adjust or replace it. The opening mechanism for the throttle plate isn't serviceable.
>>
>>17283550
Some air with a little bit of dinosaur juice gets shot into a tube. It gets squished in the tube by a piston. When it's really squished it gets lit on fire and explodes, pushing the piston back. The piston pushes on a rod which turns a crank, generating rotation force.
>>
So I want a bunch of tools to work on my car. Is the best strategy to buy all harbor freight tools and only replace the ones that break with a more expensive brand?
>>
What's the best air compressor brand?
>>
>>17283769
Buy tools as you need them. Unless your working professionally theres really no reason to buy expensive tools, and Harbor frieght's Pittsburgh stuff is crap but if you break it you can simply bring it back into the store an they'll replace it for free.
>>
Whats a tell tale sign that a car on craigslist is actually stolen ?
>>
>>17272777

Can someone please talk me out of it?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kayena/cars-vans-utes/2006-volvo-xc90-wagon/1147359191
>>
>>17284400
ask for vin over the phone and if they hang up, you have your answer.
>>
what do you call that thing you put under the car to catch the oil when you change your oil?
>>
>>17284833
the gauge shows pressure above atmospheric. 0 means 0 above atmospheric

>deleting your post when i'm typing
rude
>>
>>17284823
Bucket. If you want the fancy stuff look up Oil drain pan

>>17284835
Sorry. I realized I'm an idiot as soon as I clicked on Post
>>
>>17284844
You can get 5~L oil drain pans (plastic) for like a buck on sale at most places. Really no reason not to.
>>
>>17278395
Plz respond
>>
>>17283535
Does this tb look too bad to salvage?
>>
Can a bad spark plug boot cause my car to stall while both idling and driving?
>>
What is that website where you can find out where a car's parts was made and where it was assembled?
>>
File: 1494402263026.jpg (53KB, 730x290px) Image search: [Google]
1494402263026.jpg
53KB, 730x290px
My coolant is dropping slowly. And I mean extremely slowly that I didn't notice it at first. What kind of problem can this be a sign of?
>>
>>17282884
9 and 3 because you are less likely to break your wrist/hand in the event of a car crash from the airbags going off.
>>
>>17287262
its a sign of a coolant leak. just figure out where its coming from,
>>
>>17286437
sure, if its arcing to the block the plug wont fire
>>
>>17287632
That's gonna be shit to do, I already have an oil leak making a fucking mess everywhere
>>
File: jeep.jpg (78KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
jeep.jpg
78KB, 600x800px
My stepdad got one of those refillable freon things from supertech. Can I buy another brand of freon use that to refill it? Or does it need to be supertech freon?
>>
>>17273457
I feel like throwing up
>>
>>17278952
probably 12 or 14, maybe 16,

It really makes no difference what it is so long as its as big or bigger than the gauge that was on there.
>>
>>17284471
If a car has been on craigslist for a month and it looks like its in good condition, is there a reason why people aren't buying that im just not seeing ?
>>
>>17287948
Could be a variety of reasons, including the fact the owner may have just forgot to take the ad down.
>>
File: wut.jpg (40KB, 1121x342px) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
40KB, 1121x342px
>post craigslist ad
>get an email
>email asks for my email

do scammers even try?

Where's a better place to put my car up for sale?
>>
I think the clutch is slipping on my '02 Accent manual. In any gear above first, if I put too much gas to it, the engine revs up but doesn't turn the wheels. Is this, as I suspect, the clutch not engaging properly, and if so, would the fix be to just add/change out clutch fluid, or am I going to need a new transmission?
>>
>>17288179
you need a new clutch straight up. might as well change the fluid while you change that out as well.
>>
>>17288157
Facebook.
>>
>>17288157
Why does that email look like it was infected by some horror?

AutoTrader or Cars.
>>
File: ford.jpg (20KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
ford.jpg
20KB, 300x200px
I am on my first car

'08 Ford fiesta zetec 1.25 ~55,000 miles

I don't know shit about cars but want to learn. What can I do to learn more? What can I fuck with or do myself?

So far, I've:

Topped up oil, brake fluid
Changed a pair of wipers
Jacked up and changed a wheel

Just bought an armrest/centre console to install today.

Literally babby's first car, help me learn more please. What else could I / should I do?
>>
>>17288306
You could try doing the brakes.
>>
>>17288341
just recently had new brakes pads on the front wheels
>>
>>17288306
>>17288398
I mean, most of us learn by something needed to be done, we look up how to do it through our respective vehicle forums and youtube, buy a set of tools from harbor freight and do it ourselves.
>>
>>17288200
Fug

It still drives as long as I go easy on the gas. How long can I expect it to last until it goes out completely?
>>
>>17288945
If its slipping now you're only going to be doing more damage and making it more expensive to repair.

Get it fixed asap.
>>
>>17282255
if he is cool give him a 6 pack. if he is a tight ass dont bother
>>
I'm looking to build a car for no real reason than for fun, and i'm looking for some pants-shitting acceleration from a stop. Ideas on what to do?
>>
Got a junkyard motor. Is there a way I can test it. Without installing it. Warranty is only for 2 days.
I dont know how to take down the roof assembly stuff to get to the motor. Was exposed in the junkyard car.
>>
>>17289461
Something with Alot of torque and high final drive.

>>17289476
Do a Compression and Leak down test, make sure it turns over freely by hand
>>
>>17289151
>tfw just finished a front end collision repair that already costed a few hundred
:,^)
>>
>>17275528
Screamer pipe
>>
File: IMG_7589.jpg (223KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7589.jpg
223KB, 1200x900px
Can anyone recommend me a reliable small suv sub $4000 that can handle the occassional bad road? Pic related.
>>
>>17277060
Had the same problem on my f-150 pull the fuse for the radio or disconnect the battery wait 10 mins reconnect then resynch your device. After I did that the problem stopped so you might as well give it a go.
>>
File: IMG_7591.jpg (54KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7591.jpg
54KB, 600x450px
Whats the reputation of 1990's Jeep Cherokee / Grand Cherokees? I know the Cherokee is supposedly reliable for the 4.0 but what about the Grand Cherokee?
>>
I did my first oil change the other day. I put some cardboard under the car to see if there was a leak and when i checked it there was what looked like maybe 3 drips on the cardboard. I turned it over, put it back and a few days later there was another 3 drips. It looks like maybe one drip from drain plug area and two from oil filter area.

Did i fuck up? Is the filter or plug not on tight enough?
>>
File: act of god.jpg (106KB, 960x533px) Image search: [Google]
act of god.jpg
106KB, 960x533px
Ausfag here.
Trying to find car insurance. Just 3rd Party Fire and Theft. But no one will cover me because I'm under 25 and own a turbo. What am I meant to do. Only place that will even give me a quote is AAMI and it's over $600.
>>
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/6153694092.html

Chances are theres something wrong with it ?
>>
If I just really like the look of spoilers on cars and want to put an aftermarket one on my car, does that make me a ricer?
>>
>>17290718
headgasket will be fucked
>>
File: 1491328570258.png (489KB, 604x464px) Image search: [Google]
1491328570258.png
489KB, 604x464px
I can't stand my life here anymore. I have a good job and the dating scene isn't bad, but I fucking hate this area. Specifically, MD, and the DMV area.

I need a machine, something to carry me as quickly as possible across the plains of silence. With a big v8 that I can cruise around and really see America on my way to the west coast.

I was thinking cvpi but I want something "cooler." I have 2.4 years left on a national guard contract, and a clean mk2 supra I can sell to raise funds.

I like the idea of the next two years spending my free time fixing up a forgotten car, carefully tuning the carb, a mix between dragster and highway star, and just getting out there. Has anyone ever felt like this or am I just a faggot?
>>
>>17272777
what is the most common camshaft configuration in todays consumer engines?
>>
>>17290750
>>17290750
How easy to fix by myself assuming im a n00b
>>
>>17290776
you're clearly a noob because that means it's dead. will cost thousands to fix. abandon ship.
>>
File: 1484921768727.jpg (36KB, 419x604px) Image search: [Google]
1484921768727.jpg
36KB, 419x604px
What car should I buy for 5k?
>>
>>17290754
Just do this in your MK2 Supra. It's a popular car in America due to its good looks, and you could always put a UZ series V8 in it
>>
File: IMAG0005.jpg (4MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0005.jpg
4MB, 4000x3000px
What are some good places to get wheels? I'm trying to get rid of these shitty Cobra wheels. They don't look bad new, but mine are shitty and the chrome is flaking. Also, any suggestions on wheels? I'm not sure what the exact measurements are at the moment but I believe they are 17" wheels. I'd prefer something smaller or thinner or something. The front wheels rub at full lock and I don't want to modify the fenders.
>>
bike related question:
i want a sportbike and ive read its best to start on 250cc but im 6'8 so im much too large for 250cc in terms of size and speed so is it safe to start on 600cc? higher?
>>
>>17290849
Read the fucking sticky
>>
File: volvo 264gl.jpg (688KB, 1220x1180px) Image search: [Google]
volvo 264gl.jpg
688KB, 1220x1180px
Would this Volvo make a good fixer-upper?

I'm looking to purchase my first car and it seems nice for the price. Thinking of offering $700 and negotiating from there.

my current car was inherited, and it's probably going to die in around a year, maybe less. I'll probably have to DD the Volvo for a while if I buy it.

Thanks for your time.
>>
>>17290865
Would be nice but 1uz is the holy grail of supra swaps (for me anyways). From the scarce research there is I'd have to tear apart a lexus to make the whole thing work. I dunno. Would be nice to have a difficult goal to work towards.
>>
>>17290754
I mostly just want to kill myself
>>
File: nissan 720.jpg (404KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
nissan 720.jpg
404KB, 1600x1200px
I could swear before when I turned low beam on, only the outer 2 lights came on, but after replacing the outer two sealed beam assemblies, now all 4 lights come on with low beam, and for high beam the 2 inner ones get brighter.
h-help?
>>
A cop got me for 2 minor violations. I have to pay $200 for each one and it won't be on my record. What happens if i dont pay? Would i still have to pay the 400 no matter what? Will it just go on my record and thats it?
>>
Will a $50 K&N replacement air filter make any noticeable improvements compared to stock on a '16 Focus ST?

Mainly sound, I'm aware it's not gonna improve performance much if at all.
>>
Am I the only one that gets trigger'd when I'm watching a police chase and the reporters say "traveling at a high rate of speed"?
>>
would a 86 300zx make a good dd?
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/cto/6151047224.html
>>
>>17282406
I learnt to drive with a shit car for 2 months if that counts
>>
>>17290760
Sohc, Followed by Dohc.
>>
Is it true that Miatas are only driven by gay men?
>>
>>17294059
Why are you looking for a date?
>>
File: IMAG0452.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0452.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
I just brought my car back from the paint place and it's raining on her.

Is it gonna hurt the new paint?
>>
>>17294147
how recent is the paint? Odds are no.
>>
>>17294166
Came out of the oven at like 6pm today. It's about 730pm now
>>
>>17294210
rip
>>
>>17294265
You're joking :(
>>
How do I buy a titleless car for parts and not fall for some scam where the guy calls the cops and says I just took it?
>>
>>17294298
Get him to sign a bill of sale
>>
File: 1430160989486.jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
1430160989486.jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
>>17273017
>they only sold them in Japan.

>no one corrects the fgt

jesus christ /o/
they were never sold
there was like 5-6 made
>>
File: DSCF1401.jpg (73KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1401.jpg
73KB, 1024x768px
Is this the fedora of shifters?
>>
which battery is better? both are the same price and have 3 year free replacement warranty.
duracell 700cca (made by east penn)
everstart maxx 700cca (made by johnson control)
>>
>>17294452
If they've got the same cca rating, there shouldn't really be a difference. Pick one, if it craps out during the warranty, you'll know which one not to get next time. Online reviews may also be helpful.
>>
File: 240_wew_lad.jpg (2MB, 3803x2847px) Image search: [Google]
240_wew_lad.jpg
2MB, 3803x2847px
>>17291002
>needs to be smogged
>still selling for 1k
realize this is a verbal contract phrase for an "as is" sale, and you will probably have to replace the flame trap/PCV system that the PO didn't want to spend $300 on for it to smog
>yes, PCV system
still, a redblock with less than 100k and clean exterior for less than $1k is a fantastic price

>>17291542
check the high beam/turn signal switch contacts
clean them even if not dirty

>>17291855
late fees, then bench warrant

>>17292400
no
only the need for more airflow will draw more air
>upgrades
stock engine will draw same amount through high flow filter
along with all the other bullshit in the air a normal filter would catch
>>
>>17290905
Craigslist
>>
File: how is babby spoiler form.jpg (599KB, 1491x1007px) Image search: [Google]
how is babby spoiler form.jpg
599KB, 1491x1007px
>>17284112
ingersoll-rand
>>17290165
did you change the crush washer?
>>17290739
yes be ashamed
>>
>>17294406
That's the NA coupe you dumbfuck.

Again the NB coupe as sold in japan:

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/mazda-sold-a-miata-coupe-we-just-didnt-know-about-it-1618120073
>>
>>17291002
1k for a running driving car is pretty much always a good deal as long as it doesn't have a major mechanical issue...
>>
>>17272777
So I'm going to be buying a car this weekend. If the owner says the first and second gear synchros are gone is this actually a problem with the master cylinder? I thought first gear didn't have a synchro
>>
Would it be possible to switch out the dash cluster from my '00 Sentra with a different make of car? The analog clusters are pretty sore on my eyes, and I'm in love with those green digital dashes I've seen on Crown Vics/Grand Marquis.

Even if I could splice the job and wire it together, would it cause issues with my car's computer?
>>
Is it bad that my coolant reservoir leaks? The radiator itself doesn't leak at all btw
>>
>>17295163
Where'd you get that plate?
>>
Anons, I'm looking for a car. I'm 6'8" and most of my height is in my torso, any recommendations would be appreciated
>>
>>17273194
>Would a basic blue all purpose tarp from walmart provide much protection?

Remember that it is not the tarp that provides protection, it is the AIR GAP between the tarp or roof and the car that provides protection. If you simply lay the tarp on top of the car, dents will appear because the iceball still hits. You have to suspend the tarp a distance above the car.with enough angle so that even if the tarp sags, the ice balls still roll off instead of piling up. Small hail won't roll off and will just gather and make the tarp sag down. So you really do need enough sloping angle to handle that.
>>
Looking for a recent (no more than 5 years old) vehicle that can have enough room in back (with fold down/removable seats) to lay down in back flat but still be able to be drivable. Basically doing a lot of camping trips that involve long drives that me and whoever i'm with take shifts driving while the other sleeps. Looking for it to be low key, reliable, good on gas and affordable. Seems like a modern station wagon would be perfect but they don't seem to exist anymore
>>
File: llantas-bx-gti-16v.jpg (58KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
llantas-bx-gti-16v.jpg
58KB, 1024x768px
I just got a second hand set of wheels that wherec pretty scratched and s little banged up.
A friend painted and fixed them for me.
Do I need to balance the new wheels? I don't really notice strong vibrations at 120km
>>
>>17296221
Minivan, my man

Not stylish at all, but fits the other criteria. Personally, I'd suggest a Sienna, because I've had a pretty positive driving experience with one. Idk how much newer ones cost.
>>
>>17296382
Thinking that myself, looks like the hold like no resale value and would fit my needs great. Do any come AWD do you know?
>>
Thinking about purchasing a late 1990s e39 BMW as a first car (manual). How reliable are they? I'm not expecting jap reliability but as long as it doesn't Shit the bed completely while driving I'm fine.
>>
>>17294340
A notary public exists to validate that the person who signed the document is that person. Otherwise, regardless of signed document, he can sign it differently or just deny he signed it.
>>
is there any kind of engine additive that isnt total snake oil? gonna go for a long trip and change the oil immediately afterwards so i thought it would be a good time to put some injector cleaner or oil sludge cleaner through the engine
>>
I discovered I had a flat after driving about 1km on it, thought something was off and got out to check it out. Pumped it up at the closest gas station and got it home (it's late at night) because I wasn't equipped to change the spare and all tyre places are closed at this time of night. Found it was punctured by a screw.

Having driven about 1km on a flat at pretty low speed, could I have fucked up my rim really badly?
>>
>>17295715
yes
>coolant gets hot, expands
>dumps extra into overflow container
>when coolant cools and contracts, sucks up the extra coolant
overflow bottles are pretty cheap from junkyards

>>17296300
you would have to dump gallons of paint on them to affect wheel balance

>>17296998
>injector cleaner in your engine oil
wut
>non-snake oils
most of them are
Marvel mystery oil isn't a snake oils but it's just ATF; I still recommend
Oil flushes aren't a scam but you have to use them correctly
>using a meme liquid on your engine before a trip
use it after; if you're want to clean engine,
throw new oil and a filter on it and change after trip
>protip: new oil has detergents

>>17297417
it's possible you damaged the wheel, but it's more likely you damaged the sidewall of the tire while driving on a flat
1) take to a tire shop to fix the puncture
2) ask them to look or look inside tire yourself for rubber confetti
3) if rubber confetti is confirmed, tire is toast
>>
>>17296998
>is there any kind of engine additive that isnt total snake oil?
You look at situations wrongly. There are times to use them where they can do something for you. But if they don't do anything for you, then they seem useless, right?

For example, car insurance is thought to be snake oil using the same logic that people have when complaining about additives. I bought car insurance but it didn't prevent the accident - insurance is snake oil. I bought additive but it didn't prevent the problem! I bought car insurance but it didn't cover me during my felony - car insurance is snake oil. I bought additive but it didn't fix the problem.

>i thought it would be a good time to put some injector cleaner or oil sludge cleaner
Switch to Top Tier gasoline which keeps the whole fuel system cleaner due to its detergents such as PEA. Gumout fuel system cleaner works for me and other people use Techron as well as other similar products.

Your oil system shouldn't need sludge cleaning if you use synthetic oil. Conventional oil is the one that sludges up when run beyond either the life of the oil or if its additives wear out. If you worry about sludge, switch to a synthetic oil.
>>
File: Chinese_Cast_Rim_Knockoff.jpg (36KB, 636x424px) Image search: [Google]
Chinese_Cast_Rim_Knockoff.jpg
36KB, 636x424px
>>17297417
>Having driven about 1km on a flat at pretty low speed, could I have fucked up my rim really badly?
The tire is probably a loss. Don't know what type of rim you have because some are delicate with thin spokes which require the air pressure in the tire to force the tire itself to give additional strength to the rim. Those types of rims don't like being driven with a flat tire.

The amount of polyester and steel belts in a tire isn't all that much. They would normally fall apart after the car moves 50 feet. What reliably holds them in place for 70K miles is that they are bonded to the melted rubber which has permeated their structure. Thus the belts cannot move since they are firmly stuck in place. Air cannot leak thru the belts because they are permeated by unbroken uncut rubber.

When you drive on a flat, the rim and road squish the rubber. The lip of the rim puts a huge pressure and the uneveness of the road surface from pebbles, indentations, cracks, debris, and its own knobby surface causes uneven sideways forces in the rubber holding the belts in place. This damages the rubber holding the belt. The strength of a radial tire is in the belts. If they break free of the damaged rubber, the tire bulges or expands like a balloon at that spot.
>>
>>17291855
>What happens if i dont pay? Would i still have to pay the 400 no matter what? Will it just go on my record and thats it?
Depends on the state and what types of violations. Parking citations are treated differently from moving traffic citations in my state.

Unpaid parking citations _here_ are rarely converted into a bench warrant BUT they can do so. It's just that they don't want to harm someone by giving them a criminal record. They will wait for when you need government services or get pulled over to rub your face in it. However, after 6 months, unpaid citations cause the computer to label you with the Scofflaw Status. Up to that point, you have full government services. But once you are labeled scofflaw, things like tab renewal or license might be delayed until you clear your record. Scofflaw also means if you get pulled over, the officer can call for a tow to impound. Your car then waits in impound until the record is cleared. They do NOT come visit you at your home.

Moving violation citations are a different story. Ignore those and a bench warrant usually gets issued. They do NOT come to your home to arrest you. If you get pulled over, the officer may arrest you if he sees there is no note you had contacted them for payment of the citations and extra fines and court fees. If there is a note that you have begun the process to settle the matter, then he will not handcuff you but have your car towed to impound. Again, my state is kinder than most. In my former state, they always arrest and cuff you for a warrant. Don't let it get to the point where they cuff you.
>>
>>17284823
>what do you call that thing you put under the car to catch the oil when you change your oil?
The dollar store sells a simple 6-inch tall 13-inch diameter "bucket" for catching oil. It has a small indentation to help you pour the oil into another container. Walmart sells a big flat container that catches the oil so you can take it to an oil disposal center. Imagine a bottle that is 15-inch square and 5 inches thick. The middle of the bottle is slightly sloped to the center so the oil drains into the bottom. You seal the hole when done. One end of the bottle has a spout that you uncap to pour out the oil.

I've not used any of these products since I have a re-purposed bucket. I have a shallow metal pan (cheap sheet cookie pan) on which the bucket rests. This protects the concrete if the oil somehow misses the bucket because my hand got in the way.
>>
I have a chance at a manual 1981 corvette for 3.6k .

Do these have any big problems I should lookout for?

It needs either a paint job or some really strong compounding. No pics, I forgot to take them.

Are they good cars? I've always wanted a vette but never looked into them. It's my professors car btw. He bought a new corvette.
>>
Are aftermarket tachometers generally accurate? I bought a shitbox without a tach so I'm debating whether I should install one or not.
>>
Is there a such thing as a fast <$7k RWD manual car that isn't shit?

>bimmer Z3
>glorified e36, subframe failure with engines bigger than a miata's, shift pins worn, variable nockenwellensteuerung fehler, just add several grand to the cost and order the special tools before you even register it
>Miata
>doesn't make power, can't handle power
>MR2 any gen
>sell fast, marked up towards $10k because it seems that people actually want them, already a future classic
>350z
>pre-07s supposedly burn oil and have a shitty front suspension, newer ones are understandably expensive
>mustang
>meme cantturn girl car
>C4 vette
>quality american 'lectronics

The MR2 would be the best, obviously, if everyone else weren't well aware of that.
>>
>>17298882
The e36 had subframe problems too? Interesting
>>
>>17298921
I think it's just the Z3 2.8l+s. E36s would be cheaper if they tore themselves apart.
>>
>>17298934
Oh yeah I misread. Get an E36 then maybe?
>>
>>17298944
One day, when I find one that doesn't have lowering springs and a fartcan.
>>
So i have a car converted to R134a, and it was done somewhat professionally. The compressor, hard lines and soft lines were all replaced so it did all used to work. When I got the car it had no freon (sat for a long time) so I just topped it off and it worked great when driving. Then I stopped using the car for a while, and it pretty much doesn't work at all. Blows barely any cold air for about 5 mins then the compressor kicks on and off rapidly.

Now I'm driving it a lot and want the a/c to work again. So I pulled out my gauges and did a vacuum test. I can get the low side to about -28~-29 ish which is good, but then when I turn off the vacuum the lowside gauge drops down to about -20 and seems to just keep going after about 10 min. after about 30 mins it sat around 0.

I tried to inject some UV dye into the system but I'm not sure if it took it in. I did it while a/c compressor was working for 3 seconds like the bottle (quick connect top to inject) said. I couldn't find any leaks around the lines, but then again I'm not sure if the dye even went in.

Any tips for working with a/c? I've done it a few times before where it just worked by adding freon, but this shit is annoying.

Could electrical connections somewhere past the dash a/c switch be causing this?
>>
are e46 any good as a first car?
>>
>>17298622
Theres a reason late model C3's are not desirable.

If its the stock engine you'll probably need to do an engine/head swap, I'd be surprise the engine is probably putting out anything over 140hp. They only made 190 from factory.
>>
>>17299105
Are you willing to at least do basic maintenance on it?
>>
>>17299137
I mean yeah like every car
I can also get an audi a3 of 2005 instead
>>
>>17299165
Bmw's as a pain in the ass to do with are much better to work on than Audi's but I'm biased so.
>>
What does a condensor do on a distributor? Also what is vacuum advance?
>>
>>17299178
I dont really understand what you meant
>>
File: aliens.png (427KB, 553x484px) Image search: [Google]
aliens.png
427KB, 553x484px
Could you make an engine with pistons the size of dinner plates that have an extremely shallow stroke, so that it can have a huge compression ratio and also the ability to rev to the moon?
As I understand it, the limiting factors in engine RPM is the valves' ability to close fast enough (easily solved with stronger springs), and the piston's connecting rod warping at high speeds. But if the stroke is very shallow then that puts less stress on the rod and all the other internals, allowing you to rev higher.
>>
>>17299429

Not sure about the size of the pistons, but you should check out freevalve.

http://www.freevalve.com/
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (83KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
83KB, 800x600px
What went wrong in the mid 90s with car design? I can appreciate car styling from any other period, but almost everything designed from around 95-08 is either incredibly boring or tacky.
>>
If I let my old car get towed will I get fined or some kind of ticket if I just leave it at the tow yard and let it get junked or whatever they do?

Car doesn't roll anymore so battery is dead or something and the most any salvage yard has offered me for the car is 100-200 dollars.
>>
>>17299705
The 90's were prosperous times, the car market got lazy and was able to pump out a bunch of shit that people were eating up regardless of how blatantly ugly or shitty quality they were.
Quality took a literal nose dive in the early 00's With the big three, Mercedes Nissan, Mistubishi, with some of those cars having interiors that simply did not last more than 5 or so years, whilst 80's and early 90's models were putting up with wear and abuse.

At least that's my theory, but keep in mind during that time you also had the following being sold:

E39, Second Gen Viper, Mark IV supra, FD RX7, Ford GT and many others so it wasn't all bland.
>>
>>17299823
Depending on the municipality yes, and the fine will still be on the books even if your car goes to auction.

Its better to have someone just take off your hands.
>>
>>17299850
Thanks, that makes sense. Those cars you listed are why I said "almost", the old Viper is my dream car.
>>
how does this look
http://www.merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Berat/AUTOMJETE/Makina/BMW/Seri-3/320/Bmw-320-Nafte-2005/4334717
>>
>>17299955
>Fuel - oil
Not a good sign
>>
I got ticketed for doing 45 in a 25. What should I do?

It was on a road that they'd lowered from 35 or 40 (I forget which) to 25 and I was just tired and not paying attention and matching speed with the car in front of me.

It's the first time I've gotten a ticket. I'm not so worried about the cost of the ticket but the thought of my insurance rates increasing fucking terrifies me. I'm already a poorfag and also a young male having to pay full-coverage on a fairly new (2014) car.

Is there any damage control I can do here or should I just try to get out from under the car I'm paying on and try to find some ancient Civic with 150k miles so I can get minimal insurance?
>>
>>17298227
>>17297798
Rims are just standard steelies with hubcaps. Should be fairly strong. I figured the tyres toast. Thanks for the replies.
>>
>>17300167
Show up for court, you maybe able to negotiate with the cop who issued the ticket to get it reduced, and odds are insurance won't jack it up too high.

>I'm already a poorfag and also a young male having to pay full-coverage on a fairly new (2014) car.

Then lesson here should be buy affordable shit that won't screw you when an emergency rears its ugly head, either make plans to pay it off quickly or accept a loss and see if someone would be willing to take over payments for you.
>>
>>17300685
>Show up for court, you maybe able to negotiate with the cop who issued the ticket to get it reduced

What do I do there? Do I just say, "I did it, but I'm really hurting please don't charge me too much?" Honest question. I have the people skills of a mangy dog.

>Then lesson here should be buy affordable shit that won't screw you when an emergency rears its ugly head

I spent a tax return + some savings on a decent older car and brought a mechanic with me to check it out and okay it beforehand. 6 months later the engine grenades and I didn't have enough cash to get another older car. It was either finance something or go without.
>>
Do I need to change my oil filter every time, or can I do it every second oil change?

Did one at 3000km to get out the break-in oil, put a better filter on it. Changed from semi to full synthetic recently at 8000km but didn't change the filter.
>>
Any practical ideas of places I can paint my car, indoors?

Every time I paint outdoors I get too many particles.

I've been playing around with the idea of calling around storage places, to use for a few days.
>>
>>17300731
I differs from city to city but usually they'll call your name out and you'll get to either talk to the cop who issued your ticket, or the local county prosecutor (can't remember the proper fucking word for them) who will negotiate with you.

Just say it was a mistake and you were in a hurry that day or some sob story you can come up with.

You could probably have got an unsecured loan with a high as fuck rate and got something within a couple of grand, and paid it off in a year. The advantage of this is that you buy the car outright, the car is your name, you can buy basic as fuck insurance, and but some dumb luck default on the loan they only go after your credit, you still have the car, and you'd only be on the hook for a few grand not 10grand+

>>17300865
The filter is important to change than the oil itself, and can hold up to a liter of the old oil.
>>
>>17280859
Maybe wheel bearings, probably worn out bushings, perhaps bad strut mount.
>>
>>17300970
Thanks for the advice. I'll try to work it out.
>>
>>17300966
>what is a portable garage?
>>
>>17300731
Same anon.

How would I go about getting out from under my car I'm paying on? For reference, it's a 2014 Nissan Altima and it has 58k miles on it. That's 12k more than it had when I bought it 7 months ago. I drive a a lot. I really think getting into something more affordable + more affordable insurance would be best for me.
>>
Hi /o/

I learned to drive with a diesel car, I have a petrol now.

I can drive off quite easily but I'm still unsure how it starts subtlely, if you catch my drift.

Are you supposed to gas before depressing the clutch? How are you supposed to do it?

Thanks /o/
>>
>>17300966
>Any practical ideas of places I can paint my car, indoors?
>Every time I paint outdoors I get too many particles.

In one of the previous archived painting threads, someone described how they macgyvered up a fresh air source that was filtered. With the fresh air, you can breathe.
>>
Should I take any extra precautions when changing oil on a car that hasn't seen an oil change in ages? I couldn't even check the oil level at first because it's stuck to the dipstick and very hard to clean off.
>>
>>17300147
its supposed to be diesel
probably translate fucked up
>>
>>17272777
I work at mc dicks and my shoes have absolutely ruined the floor mats and the side of the car
What products would you guys recommend to clean it?
Also any recommended brands of tires that are a good value, but won't kill me?
And by value I don't mean the cheapest thing. Ideally I want something that's well worth the money I'll spend.
I drive a Nissan Murano, so not exactly a speed demon.
If size matters it's P235/65R18 according to goodyear's website
>>
Might be a question for /biz/ but they only seem to talk about cryptocurrency so here goes:
I financed an 09 Corolla at lmaocarmax for 8,995USD and because my credit is absolute garbage, my APR is 24%.
I plan to either refinance or trade in after a year to hopefully get a better car and a much better APR.
It's a manual and I've fallen in love. I make enough money to finance a decent car, but I'd like some suggestions I suppose. Something newer, with good MPGs, manual transmission, fun to drive, preferably sedan.
Also, any financial comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.
>>
Cheapest way to read codes off a 2003 VW?
>>
>>17303027
ELM327, probably.
>>
Can STOCK, inexpensive, brand new turbo cars actually rev high and provide fun of revving that? Or can you make them do without putting hell lot of money into them?

For example, I IMAGINE Golf MK7 GTI is a great car but it's kinda like a diesel and pushes until maybe 4-5K rpm and there's nothing above.
Right now drive older n/a I4 OHV/SOHC cars and I don't enjoy that at all. I don't have any experience with post-2000 cars.
>>
>>17288157
Do not even think of getting a 2000 GC btw, biggest headache jeep model and year, worst /o/ decision of my , yer gonna burn stacks of money
>>
>>17290038
Do not buy GC post 2000
>>
File: sludgey.conventional.oil.jpg (205KB, 810x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sludgey.conventional.oil.jpg
205KB, 810x1080px
>>17302173
>I couldn't even check the oil level at first because it's stuck to the dipstick and very hard to clean off.
That's because what little remains inside is sludge.

Seems like you are a candidate for an oil flush. But a flush will have better effect if the hardened filth inside is loosened some first. Hopefully, localized overheating from lack of oil has not caused too much warp in some engine parts to the point where some gaskets leak coolant and oil together from a pressure flush.
>>
Is the Alfa 33 a good first car? I love old cars, yet I won't be able to drive any car above 95hp for the first year, and I really like the Alfa 33 which suits under the 95hp limit. Would you guys recommend something else?
>>
File: 1456191741962.jpg (58KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1456191741962.jpg
58KB, 500x667px
>>17303090
>he doesn't know that turbo engined versions of normiemobiles have lower redline than then NA versions
!
REV UP UR INEXPERIENCE!
>>
>>17301569
clutch in
apply a little gas
clutch out
>>
>>17304017
Don't you dare spitting on me, Scotty. :^)
Mate, I forgot to write NOOB in full caps in the previous post. But could you kindly elaborate a bit more on that? Like "x actually revs above 7.5K but it's not as cheap as you think" thing, for example? Only thing I guess it's that Golf ain't revving progressively like Corolla 1.8VVT, but maybe it's not the case with other turbo cars?

Help me getting out of the full noob stage.
>>
>>17302173
Fill the cars oil system with acetone to get rid of all the sludge. Organic solvents will dissolve oil shit.

After that flush with water then flush with oil and fill with new oil again
>>
>>17304017
This isn't true at all
>>
I want to build a boat like link related, any tips?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv0pI_9JqaU
>>
File: scottyrevs.jpg (37KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
scottyrevs.jpg
37KB, 540x960px
>>17304198
>special noob stage "progressive revs"
get something NA and DOHC for ebin high revs, SOHC is always going to be restrictive after 4.5-6k REVs,
and depending on the size and application, turbo will have these same limits
>spool up only happens at one speed

tl;dr-NA is breddy gud for braaaaaap br/o/
t. DOHC turbo owner with a redline of 5.6k

>>17304239
>at all
>he doesn't know that manufacturer turboed engines usually have smaller displacement than their NA counterparts
hmm a manufacturer adds boost to a stock engine design, but how to keep the normies safe?
oh, thicken the cylinder walls and lower the redline!
that'll keep all the WHOOSH in!
>>
>>17304230
>>17303721
Fuck I'm scared of doing it. It's a pretty old engine and I'm afraid it will start leaking. The oil is still a liquid, not nearly as bad as in the>>17303721 picture.
>>
>>17304352
>and depending on the size and application, turbo will have these same limits
So do I get it right:
In case of that Golf - as an example "cheap" turbo car - replacing the turbocharger (and probably few other components) is inevitable, if one wants it to rev above the current redline OR more progressively?
>NA is breddy gud for braaaaaap br/o/
I know and of course I'd like that kind of one (maybe BRZ or something?) but I guess, when I've finally saved up enough for something newer, it had all gone turbocharged already.
>a redline of 5.6k
wat
>>
File: 20170521_201800.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170521_201800.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Getting married in an hour, this'll be my last post on the 4chins being a non-married man, and I don't even have anything car related to say. Just wanted someone to know besides my parents and fiancee. Have a good day, anons.

Here's a nice picture of a place I drive to sometimes when I have a lot on my mind.
>>
>>17304427
Congratulations, bro, let's have some wonderful life with your wifey and don't lose your spirit even when it's mostly autonomous cars on roads, you'll probably still have great memories. :)
>>
>>17304427
Forget that place, she will always wanna come with and ruin it
>>
>>17304427
Best of luck, i hope you live happily ever after
>>
File: amused_bunta.jpg (52KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
amused_bunta.jpg
52KB, 320x240px
>>17304406
much more than the turbo will have to be replaced for above redline REVs on a stock engine
>to make engine gofast parts must be strong
but yes, it will spool too early for high revs and a bigger one will be required
>BRZ?
get a cheap late 80's/90's Japanese V6 now, Camrys are everywhere
>vz engine family, mfw the power of four cams
nothing will ever beat a wankel engine for max REVs however

>how do you even REV?
I5, turbo spool up/max torque at 2k RPMs
>inb4 diesel
nope
>>
>>17304400
use diesel
>buy like 5 gallons
>fill entire crankcase and engine block up to the valve covers
>let sit a day or two
>drain diesel, doesn't have to be perfect
>use your favorite econo-oil to refill
>drive a few hundred miles, drain and refill
diesel has lubricating qualities so it won't be as harsh on the seals but still is tough enough to dissolve the sludge
>>
>>17304588
>much more than the turbo will have to be replaced for above redline REVs on a stock engine
Either I cannot into English enough or (lack of) something in your sentence makes it difficult to understand for me, sorry, brah.

Thanks for the reply, anyway. If - in years - I will find any Avalon in proper condition for someone as car-inept as me, I'll take it, but it's Europe actually and there's none of them. I'm not buying that (really) cheap E36 or similar as I rely on car a lot and I have no garage nor skills.
>>
>>17304677
i was restating what you said, as you were mildly correct
>replacing the turbocharger (and probably few other components) is inevitable
YES, but change "few" to "lots of"

>Avalon
pls to buy early model ES250 or ES300
>>
File: alternator.jpg (69KB, 730x599px) Image search: [Google]
alternator.jpg
69KB, 730x599px
>>17304588
>nothing will ever beat a wankel engine for max REVs however
highest I can find is 17k by some prototype
cbr250rr went to 20k
>>
>>17304400
Don't flush with acetone and water. Water should never be used in a bearing surface environment. That is a suggestion which sociopath trolls like a-l-ph-onse would make in hopes of causing more problems.

If you are changing oils at home, then flush out the bad dirty thick oil with the cheapest oil. You'd basically make 2 or 3 changes after idling the engine a short time between each change and that includes changing out the oil filter each time. Of course change the oil filter which has long expired due to the internal valves opening up from sludge.

The reason why you do it this way is that you don't want thick chunks of coked oil falling down onto the oil pickup filter screen and clogging it up. That would stop oil flow.

Did you know that dealers and some of the better independent shops have a machine that flushes engines completely starting with the oil filter inlet? Example of older method:

Step 1
Heated Bilstein R-2000 Engine Flush solution is pumped through the oil filter port at 42 PSI.

Step 2
R-2000 Engine Flush solution flows through the engine's lubrication system dissolving sludge and varnish.

Step 3
R-2000 Engine Flush solution back flushes the oil pump pickup screen. Dissolved sludge, varnish and debris flow to the oil pan where it is vacuum extracted to the BILSTEIN R-2000 Engine Flush Machine. Particulates over 3 microns are removed through three stages of ultra-fine filtration.
>>
>>17304427
>Getting married in an hour
Congratulations and thank you for thinking about us too.
>>
>>17301497
The easiest way is finding someone to sign the car over to so they can take over the payments but, you won't get any money out of the deal.

The best way is just pay it off quickly as possible, how much do you owe on it and whats the term of your loan. ?
>>
>>17304400
See
>>17304841
DO NOT PUT WATER IN YOUR ENGINE.

I would possibly recommend topping it off with diesel and then draining but its a bitch to do and doing several oil changes in short succession will probably be adequate.
>>
240sx. Discovered that one of my wiper arms has started to move freely, doesn't smoothly glide along the glass and slaps the plastic cowl. I took a look and where the wiper is normally mounted is completely fucking rusted through. How fucked am i?
>>
>>17301497
>I drive a a lot.
You can tell how much of the miles driven are necessary miles. If it is solely for work, then you can combine the commute with most of your shopping. That would chop off some of the mileage there. If you are driving because your friends use you as a free taxi, then that sucks. If they would not associate with you but for the free rides to places, then they aren't your friends. They are the usual opportunists in today's society that look around for "resources". Resources are people they can use or depend upon to help them when they need to save money by using free help. Nothing wrong if it goes both ways, but too many people only have it go 80% their way with the 20% only there not because they want to, but because it is to be able to hang on to you as a car resource.
>>
>>17304987
get a new arm from the junkyard, less than $15
>how fucked
not very? learning xp, next time sand & spraypaint them if they rusty?
>>
>>17304987
The law requires working brake lights and working wipers. So does common sense. Don't see why it would be rusted up like that unless you drive around with a lot of debris in your wiper wells due to laziness. If you didn't clean out the autumn leaf and stem droppings from last year and let the salty road spray sit there, then that's your fault.

Your description has no details about the axle the wiper arm fastens onto. Reinstallation usually means allowing the wiper to move partially up on the window and stopping it. That's easy enough to do without any tools other than your ignition key. Then put on the new wiper arm. That's after you check to verify the rotation of the damaged item is in sync with the other wiper of course. If it's just spinning round and round in one direction, then something else broke with the wiper motor assembly which is why it broke free of your rusted up wiper arm.
>>
File: HxvMd2p.jpg (79KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
HxvMd2p.jpg
79KB, 960x960px
My sr20det used to run fine but now it seems to be cutting fuel under acceleration almost like it's redlining at ~4krpm.
If I don't use much throttle I can get to the redline normally, it's only when I give it gas it happens.

Any ideas? I've heard it could be a boost leak, will be pressurising the intake to check. Only engine mods are pod filter exhaust and adjustable internal wastegate set to 10psi. It's been fine with all these for over a year.
>>
coupe v6 accord or a base altima?
>>
>>17305308
sounds more like iffy injectors or the fuel pump cant provide the fuel pressure you need to go WOT at low RPMs. Checking for boost and vacuum leaks, but the car would run really shitty at idle if you had a vaccum leak and I'm pretty sure you'd hear the book leaking too. I didn't tighten my intercooler hoses enough and you would just hear a loud "SHHHHHH" when boost kicked in. Tightened the clamps and it went away. Try a bottle of injector cleaner, check fuel pressure and possibly have a look at the fuel pump if its easy enough to get to. Maybe the screen is totally clogged given how old the car is. My current fuel pump doesn't pick up the last 2 gallon in my tank but does provide enough fuel pressure.
>>
>>17305209
>>17305167
The wiper arm itself is not rusted, it's the metal on the chassis itself that has withered away.I'll get pics soon.
>>
>>17305395
Thanks, actually now you mention it I haven't changed my fuel filter so I'll do that this weekend. I doubt the pump has ever been changed either so I'll check that.
Yeah that's what I thought about a leak in the pipes it'd be affecting the whole rev range. You're right it has to be an issue with fuel delivery. Cheers man
>>
File: Screenshot 2017-06-01 19-04-58.png (224KB, 447x775px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-06-01 19-04-58.png
224KB, 447x775px
The fucks the circled bit?
>>
>>17305159
Nah man. Sometimes I get a bug to go a few towns over to a specialty store or go visit family next state over, but most of my driving is work commute and shopping, each of which is at least a 45-mile round trip, and I usually have to make that drive 6 or 7 days a week.
>>
>>17305495
Its an electrical connector either for the pump itself or the fuel level sending unit.
>>
>>17305326
accord
>>
>>17302932
>Financial comments
Don't finance shit and pay your bills retard
>>
File: tumblr_lpy7h6lyWq1qb2tm9o1_500.jpg (90KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lpy7h6lyWq1qb2tm9o1_500.jpg
90KB, 500x383px
should i buy a zl1 or an SS?
>>
When do you guys wash your cars? In the daytime or at night? i need to wash my MR2 and was debating on doing it early tomorrow, but late tonight might be cool too.
>>
What's the consensus on the Isuzu Trooper? Specifically the last few years they were made (2000-2002)
>>
In a head on collision, would a grille or bumper guard help or just do more damage to your car?
>>
>>17306809
Helps in minor collisions, in major ones obviously it doesn't matter
>>
So I have an A/c sytem and I suspect the shrader valve is bad since I don't see UV dye leak anywhere else.

can I just remove it, let everything escape, and then put in a new shrader valve, thus starting from scratch? pull vacuum, add oil, dye and r134a? I mean I know it's not legal to vent that to atmosphere but... well idk
>>
>>17306516
morning is best, isn't as dry/dusty
>>
>>17306516
Washing it in the morning allows the daytime heat from the sun as well as the warmer air to dry out any water in the seals area or other parts of the car. If you have problems with water spots, then early morning is good too.
>>
File: IMG_20160318_151537657.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160318_151537657.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>17272777
I've got a car that's been exposed to the texas sun for about 30 years or so, so the leather/pleather's discolored from that.
Any ideas as to how to repair that?
It's not dirt, so a magic eraser and cleaner isn't gonna do squat. Trust me. I've tried.
As you can see under the arm rest, there's the original color of the panel.
>>
File: imageproxy.jpg (187KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
imageproxy.jpg
187KB, 1024x768px
Hi there, hopefully this thread still has some life in it.

I was considering a used q45/ls400 or v70 as a first car but I just realized that they only have class 2 towing hitches. I want to attach something like pic related to my car for my wr250f to hoon around this summer, though they all require class 3 hitches.

Do I need to get an suv or truck to get a class 3 hitch?
>>
>>17307241
pretty sure they have kits for that
>>
Would it be possible to run a bike engine in a boat
>>
>>17303564
Are pre 2000 grand cherokees reliable? Finding a lot of good deals on them.
>>
I just recently replaced a thermostat in my 01 Impreza l and after a short drive to burp the radiator, all hoses are tight as fuck. Please respond it's my only ride and I don't want it to be something expensive
>>
Do I really need molding trimmers to cut universal side molding?
>>
File: ladda ned.jpg (9KB, 298x169px) Image search: [Google]
ladda ned.jpg
9KB, 298x169px
what are the performance benefits of stiff motor mounts?
>>
>>17306809
All a bull or push bar does is move the force from the bumper to the frame. Now the frame is obviously a lot more durable than a bumper cover and stock bumpers are only rated up to 5mph iirc, thanks Carter. If you want to see how it will perform, look at how the police cruisers handle ramming other cars and see what happens when police crash at high speeds.

>>17306897
It kinda sucks that you have to lose all that good refrigerant. But it would be the same if you had a leak somewhere. Either way, it's going into the atmosphere.

>>17309855
Lets the engine twist less in the engine bay. Some people like how it feels when accelerating, but personally I don't like the increased vibration in the cabin. All personal preference really.

>>17309303
What's the issue? As pressure goes up the hoses will start to bulge a bit. If they look really stretched out and your hose clamps are tighter than shit and leave deep grooves, probably time for new hoses, should only be like 20$ apiece for rubber hoses.
>>
>>17309946
So no performance increase other than increasing the feel of responsiveness of the engine, sort of like how you feel the roll more with stiffer/solid suspension mounts
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.