[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 43

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

What caused big boats to no longer be popular?
>>
The social stigma of looking like an old person. That's it
>>
File: wotm8.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
wotm8.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>17249811
>What caused big boats to no longer be popular?
>>
>>17249811
Gas prices went up and people were less interested in a smooth, comfortable ride and more interested in fancy modern gadgets and safety.
>>
>>17249821
I would say lurk more but honestly everyone should know what calling a car a boat means...
>>
>>17249811
SUVs happened. Anyone who wants a fat car that gets shitty mileage and doesn't handle worth a damn just buys an Expedition these days.
>>
File: fuckthepolice.jpg (116KB, 720x478px) Image search: [Google]
fuckthepolice.jpg
116KB, 720x478px
>>17249837
It was more a reaction to why the hell you asked it in the first place, it should be obvious.

But >>17249825 pretty much explained it.
>>
They don't look angry enough, they don't hook up to your phone, and they don't meet modern pedestrian and occupant safety standards.

Crossovers and SUVs dominate now. No one wants a full size sedan when they can get a sport "utility" vehicle (which isn't even body on frame anymore) that gets worse mileage, but can carry more (which they never use) and looks more imposing when it's double-parked outside JC Penny's.
>>
File: amc eagle.jpg (76KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
amc eagle.jpg
76KB, 624x351px
>>17249849
>Crossovers
Why is the ancestor to the modern crossover impossible to find?
>>
File: 20170520_095044.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170520_095044.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
How should I fix this stupid front bumper sag? Does it require a whole new bumper?
>>
>>17249851
I've seen maybe two of them in my 30 years.
>>
>>17249858
Your brackets probably need to be loosened the bumper pushed back up and then the brackets tightened back down.

A simple 1mph bump will misalign the fuck out of them.
>>
>>17249858
If you don't give a shit I bet you can drill into the bumper and wire it on.
>>
>>17249859
I feel like it's one of those cars I wouldn't look twice at unless I was specifically looking for it.
>>
>>17249872
I feel that its kinda hard to miss a station wagon with a two inch lift.
>>
File: friend.jpg (32KB, 269x320px) Image search: [Google]
friend.jpg
32KB, 269x320px
I love you /o/! Have a great day today, tomorrow, and everyday after!
>>
File: 20170522_210358.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170522_210358.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>17249864
>>17249869
Are these the bolts in question?
>>
>>17249917
no thats the frame
>>
My car randomly turned off on me, i verified the battery and it looks like its connected properly, is it just that the battery is not properly connected like i think it is?
>>
>>17249883
Y-you too
>>
File: image-3800706173.jpg (194KB, 700x523px) Image search: [Google]
image-3800706173.jpg
194KB, 700x523px
So I recently came into ownership of a 98 Cherokee.

What is acceptable modding to not look like a tool/larper? Should I go for performance or aesthetic improvement first?

Pic not mine, just inspo
>>
I'm racing my truck this weekend will my tail end slide out and cause me to lose control if it's empty in the back
>>
>>17250324
no, once you get some speed the tailgate acts like an air dam and forces your rear end down
>>
>>17249851
80's Murican car, which means it's gonna rust bad.
>>
Anyone tried CarNextDoor?
I was very skeptical at first but looking through the website it seems ok.
I'm going away for around a year and thinking of selling my Saab. I could do with the cash but some extra income wouldn't be bad either. My sister offered to look after my car, and put it up on CND but it's hard to tell if it's worth it (and I don't know how much I trust my sister to properly look after it)
>>
How much of a theft deterrent is getting a manual really? If I get a manual integra how fucked will I be since I know those get stolen more often than average.
>>
What's the general opinion on the 2002 Ford focus svt? Good dd thats also fun when I want to drive fun? How reliable is the zetec engine?
I'm looking at getting one
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/6136518882.html
It's in Canada, I live near the border so Canada dollars makes it cost $2300 USD, including import tax. I'm a little concerned about it because the svts I've seen have a svt logo on the wheels, and the same thing on a little plastic cover over the middle of the engine. There's no cover in the pic and the wheels just look like regular stock wheels. Is that normal? Is it just different because its Canadian? It's got he svt interior, so I'm sure it's an svt
>>
>>17250691
fucked because they will just trailer that bitch away

or they will bust your window, put it in neutral and push it
>>
>>17249821
what's this guys name? saw him on spicks and specks a few nights back and he was pretty funny, but i missed the intro so i missed them introducing him.
>>
>>17250814
Tim Minchin.
>>
>>17249811
Do you think I can fit a 6cyl bmw motor with manual in the backseat of an e36
>>
>>17250058
What were you doing when it happened. Year make and model, will it restart?

If the car was running and then shut off its probably not the battery.
>>
>>17250197
Circumsize those wheel arches.
>>
>>17251079
No, unless its a wagon.
>>
>>17250803
What if i dont live in a shitty neighborhood
>>
is there an equation that spits out a "fastness" number when you put in the variables of horsepower and weight? Also is there a more complex equation that doesn't ignore gearing?
>>
>>17251147
Horsepower is dependent upon torque, and where its made on the power band. So you have to consider wind up time to get to that point, which also takes in account flywheel weight, and other parasitic losses to belt fed accessories.

You also have to take in account what transmission it uses, as Torque converter automatics. waste more energy vs Manuals, but on the same note some autos can shift faster than some manuals, and vice versa.

then you have to consider the ratio of gears in the box, and the ring and pinion sizes, then finally what type of drive its FWD AWD or RWD, FWD will be slightly more efficient than RWD, which would be more efficient than AWD. Oh and wheel and tire weight as well.

see where I'm going with this? I'm sure there's away to calculate all that, but if you simplify it down to just weight and HP, it won't nearly be as accurate as HP per Ton.
>>
>>17251147
I don't know but that sounds pretty cool.
>>
>>17249811
how do carb pressure boxes work? how come they dont just force air into the carb like just hooking up the turbo to it normally would?
>>
>>17251085
But if I take the gearbox from the engine?
>>
Were do I find parts for a yanmar 6HYM-WET?
>>
If you have two different cars with the same parts, but the same engine, do they share engine parts?

How do you know if parts from other cars for with your car? Is it just if they share platforms or is their something else. For example if you had some shitty audi could you use VW parts for it?

What does it mean when an engine swap is bolt in? Is it when the engine mounts are in the same place as the car you're putting it in or does it mean the car itself requires no modification to fit the engine?
>>
File: IMG_1655_0.png (60KB, 254x209px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1655_0.png
60KB, 254x209px
Is it a terrible idea to buy a vacuum pump + A/C manifold gauge so I can learn how to vacuum + recharge my own system?
>>
>>17251306
Yes, rent them instead
>>
>>17251316
VatoZone rents those out?
>>
>>17251335
Yup. It's expensive to rent, but you get your full money back if you return it within 90 days
>>
>>17251341
>Yup. It's expensive to rent, but you get your full money back if you return it within 90 days
So I just pay the rental deposit then bring the stuff back and I get the exact $ I paid back?
>>
How much should i reasonably pay for a 2001 GTI VR6. I found one for $2000 that has 200k on the odometer but how likely is it that there would be something wrong with it?
>>
>>17251351
Yup, that's exactly what happens
>>
Who makes the cheapest electric gauges? I need speedometer, tach, fuel, voltage, water, and oil.
>>
>>17251244
>If you have two different cars with the same parts, but the same engine, do they share engine parts?
uhh ya they're the same engine?
>How do you know if parts from other cars for with your car? Is it just if they share platforms or is their something else. For example if you had some shitty audi could you use VW parts for it?
you would have to research what models were equipped with the parts you need or measure the parts you want and see if they fit where you want, but yes;
you could get cross platform and even cross manufacturer parts that fit
this is literally how parts stores work
protip: dimensions are important
>What does it mean when an engine swap is bolt in? Is it when the engine mounts are in the same place as the car you're putting it in or does it mean the car itself requires no modification to fit the engine?
Yes, but also it's more about the transmission bolting up correctly and could include some fabricated mounts/different oil pan/ different engine electricals
>>
>>17250797
Pls
>>
what do I need to know when buying a car in the US? I am going to buy my first car from craigslist and I have no idea what i'm doing. Do I just give money and drive off and the title magically gets transferred to me somehow? Do I need to ask for the papers? what papers? pls help
>>
what's a good turbo that is reasonably priced and not ebay chinkshit
>>
Are there any good model year for an Elantra pre-2010?
>>
What are some of the best fun FWD cars? Cars that were specifically designed to be sporty and FWD. Like for example I hear a lot of the Acura Integra being one of THE best FWD cars you could get because they specifically engineered it to play off FWDs merits
>>
>>17251683
used oem mitsubishi turbos like td04s and oem holsets like hx35s.
they wont compare to the power and response of a performance turbo, but it's certainly leaps better than chinkshit.
the rebuild kits are cheap as dirt.

you'll want to learn about compressor maps and turbine dimensions and find oem turbos that best fit the characteristics you're looking for in both power, boost, powerband, etc.
either that or just look at what other people are using.

but most people just follow the herd rather than actually learning what they need and knowing what you're doing or at least knowing enough, or thinking you know enough, to experiment with different turbos will allow you to make a lot bigger gains than just slapping shit together like your average ricer. properly designing a system around your goals.
>>
>>17252029
also kkks / borgwarners off audis/vws

basically just any oem turbo.
mitsubishi turbos are probably the most used just because of the abundance of junked subarus.
>>
if I buy a lan evo for my DD, is this a bad idea? or is it okay and reliable enough so that it's worth it?
>>
>>17252109
why would it be a bad idea? Just don't go WOT after every redlight
>>
>>17252158
Well it costs a shitton + insurance and I just don't know if it's worth it overall.
>>
>>17252199
buy a slow car and make it fast yourself then. Low insurance, high fun
>>
>>17249811
How do I remove lettering from glass? Some from the suction cup transferred over and it is quite a nuisance
>>
>>17252204
You telling me to get a 3k civic and a few simple mods?
>>
can anyone give me the skinny on gas vapor systems? how does it retain vapors without building pressure on hot days?
>>
>>17252229
rubber
>>
>>17251197
looks to me like it does the same job as a plenum; keeps the air pressure equal across each throat
>>
>>17250691
bro its an integra mexicans dont give a damn about your tranny theyll steal it anyways, just get a clutch lock and pray
>>
>>17251380
very fucking likely, just about any car over 200k miles is gonna have some problems, people dont drive a car that long and then meticulously fix everything for the next person. theyll either keep it or sell it right before it starts to fall apart.
It being a VW is really not going to help
>>
>>17251546
W...T...F

look up your local DMV laws on title transfer

in Commiefornia you need to have the vehicle smogged (by the owner) before the title transfer (sign the pink slip with the owner, make sure his liscense matches the name on the pink slip) then bring the title to the DMV. You also have to write the price youre paying on the back of the title. some people fudge it lower to save on taxes, this is usually not a good idea if the vehicle in question is being fully covered because I BELIEVE your insurance can use the lowered number to pay you much less in the event of an accident
>>
>>17249849
>Crossovers and SUVs dominate now.

Congress passed laws to discourage big gas guzzlers and push people into small cars. But trucks (truck based SUVs) are exempt due to business use. So instead of going downscale, consumers found SUVs. And never looked back.

It's called the law of unintended consequences. Regulations fuck up more stuff than they fix.

>don't meet modern pedestrian and occupant safety standards.

Don't care. Have bull bar and a winch. State makes me put a sharp sheet metal blade on front bumper (license plate).
>>
>>17252011
Acura Integra GSR
Toyota Celica GTS
Neon SRT4
Saturn Ion Redline
Chevy Cobalt SS TC/SC
Ford Focus SVT

I cant think of anymore off the top of my head but thats pretty much the gist of it
>>
>>17252754
charcoal canister, soaks up and contains the vapors/fumes
>just like charcoal underwear
>>
When I go to buy rotors and calipers do I have to specify if it's for the front/rear or right/left or does it not matter?
>>
>>17252997
front/rear are almost always different and need to be specified,

left/right no. how the fuck would the car brake in a straight line if one sides rotors/drums were bigger and grabbed more than another sides
>>
>>17251166
this entire post makes no fucking sense.

>>17251147
hp to weight is a good indicator of straight line performance, but not anything else.
>>
>>17253007
where did >>17251166 lose you?

granted the ring and pinion stuff is a little irrelevant comparatively but still
>>
Im in the planing stages for a rotary build. Is the 13b the best engine to go with?
>>
>>17253023
you should already know what platform to use

lurk moar on rotary forums
>>
>>17253005
I'm not so much concerned about the front/rear as I am about the left/right. I will probably need to replace a rotor and caliper in the rear but I'm not exactly sure which side is the problem one. I just want to know if I get the parts that they will work on either side of the car. I figured they would be the same I just don't know if they're constructed in such a way that they cannot be mirrored across the car.
>>
>>17253038
they are mirrored
>>
>>17253038
Replace both rear brakes or don't do it at all
>>
>>17251206
possibly
>>
>>17250691
Wait what's this about Integra being theft bait?
>>
>>17253348
https://jalopnik.com/the-acura-integra-is-still-one-of-americas-top-ten-most-1582099675

>are you trolling?
>you better be
>>
>>17253381
No, why the fuck would I have this random piece of knowledge from jalopnik of all places, that doesn't even affect my car?

My brother has a huge boner for this guy's Integra, to the point he wants a loan for it
>>
>>17253395
Yeah I didn't know the integra was theft bait until i started doing some research

I don't live in a shit neighborhood but im still wary of owning one if theft is this bad
>>
>>17251083
Its a Pontiac Sunfire 2002, The first time it turned off completely and i had to wait a few minutes before i could turn it on again, the second time it turned off but the light in the car stayed on.
>>
File: 1495157851694.jpg (44KB, 720x716px) Image search: [Google]
1495157851694.jpg
44KB, 720x716px
Car at idle will start vibrating bad(can feel in the steering wheel and seat) and it will maybe do this for a few minutes than quit then it will idle smooth. RPMs don't increase during this and it does it on and off.
>>
>>17253777
misfire
>>
>>17252985
that's kind of stupid. I was thinking it would just be pressurised and there would be some kind of compensating valve to the engine

so then the hood on the nozzle on the pump that catches fumes doesn't actually do anything?
>>
>>17254121
>so then the hood on the nozzle on the pump that catches fumes doesn't actually do anything?

No it just keeps debris out, there are EVAP valves for some cars but they feed into the intake, and the system remains relatively unpressurized for good reason.
>>
How reliable are new Ford vehicles?

I'm going to buy a new car and I'm considering the Fiesta ST, the Focus ST, or the Civic SI. I'd really like a hatchback, which is why I'm considering a Ford Fiesta/Focus, but if they're not reliable then I'll get the Civic SI and be done with it.
>>
>>17254993
The ST twins are fine and plenty reliable.
The main issue ford has is their DCT, which isn't really a problem with the ST's.
>>
Whats a good brand to get some cast pistons from?

I'm rebuilding a Ka24e and I need some .5mm oversize pistons.
>>
I have an 02' wrx in the states and my car started overheating since it's been quite hot the past couple days. Anyways the immediate problem is that it was out of coolant, the next problem is, where did it go? There's no water in my oil and no oil in my coolant. Which would be the fastest way to diagnose it? Radiator cap pressure/exhaust fume detector or just pulling the plugs and looking at which one looks "steam cleaned"?
>>
File: IMG_2290.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2290.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
I have one of these antenna bases on the trunk lid of my Crown Vic. How do I go about removing this? pic related
>>
>>17255323
If you don't have a nut holding it on the other end of the sheet metal in your truck, it would be my guess those two outer holes have something to do with removing it, like using a special tool.
>>
These faggots have breh vacuuming their car for 35 fucking minutes, what the fuck are they doing? I just need fucking air, holy fuck I hate living in a world with other humans
>>
File: Enjoy.jpg (44KB, 480x649px) Image search: [Google]
Enjoy.jpg
44KB, 480x649px
>>17249811
I've been pondering this too lately. Partly because I remember them being everywhere when I was growing up, and now if I see one it seems way out of place.
But yeah, now there are SUVs everywhere, and I think >>17252883 gave a quite good answer.

Some people like >>17249825 say it has to do with gasoline, but my friends' SUVs don't get better gas mileage than my '77 Thunderbird used to - with the one exception of a Lexus SUV owned by a friend that is a hybrid... but it was also out of the price range of most middle class buyers. Speaking of which, I wonder if a weakening middle class in the United States could maybe have had some effect too.
>>
>>17249851
Have always liked these too.
I have met two owners of them, and both complained about them being very difficult to get parts for.
>>
I've got a real dumb question for you guys

I gotta take the axle nut off my rear wheels, I got one off but the other is just impossible. The book says its torqed down at 137ft-lbs and I was just wondering, it takes the same amount of torque to loosen the bolt right, so it needs 137ft-lbs in the opposite direction to break loose? Man I cant even manage 137ft-lbs that shit is hard
>>
File: Elsanna.png (804KB, 1080x1191px) Image search: [Google]
Elsanna.png
804KB, 1080x1191px
>>17255602
Have also had this experience. How infuriating!!!

First coat the nut in WD-40, then try it. If that doesn't work, what I would do next is pour a bit of Coca Cola on it, like a coating. Then wait a few minutes and see if I could get it loose. If not, I would pour more of The Real Thing on it again and wait for a couple of hours or the next day and try it again.
Also, are you using a breaker bar?
>>
>>17255693
I drenched it in pb blaster, waited about 20 min, drenched it some more and tried immediately after and then stopped there since its really hot and I was literally lifting the car off the jack stands (it's an mk1 mr2, very light weight)

Yes I'm using a breaker bar, and I had some square tubing about 6 inches long to add some more torque but it's just not enough to get the second axle nut off. I'm waiting for a friend to get off work and I might have him help me try again
>>
>>17249811
Because they are too fucking big.....

People now buy giant retard tier SUVs instead of large cars.
>>
>>17255705
They are super tight, it's probably not the best way to do it but I got mine off by having the breaker bar + tubing facing down and pretty much jumping on it till it cracked loose
>>
>>17250197
Fix any rust
LS1 swap
Outside of that, keep it stock.
>>
>>17250797
Buy a EP3 Civic Si. Much faster. Not an ugly retard car.
>>
>>17255729
Well to make things infinitely harder on myself I thought it was a great idea to undo the tie rod control arm and brake caliper before trying the axle nut. I have the control arm and tie rod back and loosely tightened onto the axle carrier so it doesnt sway around so much but I dont have my brakes to hold everything still, instead I'm using a crow bar thats wedged inbetween the hub studs
>>
>>17255725
Why do you call it retarded tier? I fucking love big ass trucks and SUV's. The benefits of a big car far outweigh a little clown car. Especially for road trips and long hauls and just having room in general in nice. Do you live in a 400 sq ft. shack because that's all you need?
>>
File: 1370015161513.png (9KB, 473x454px) Image search: [Google]
1370015161513.png
9KB, 473x454px
Does a Zonda R or Revolución have 3 pedals?
>>
>>17255733
No sweetie, ep3 si got jewed in power. Svt is better in every measure.
Please get off honda's dick.
>>
>>17255705
maybe try an impact socket? I bought one for some screws and its the best fuckin thing for at least smaller sized fasteners
>>
>>17255877
it's 30mm and I don't have an impact gun to try it. Just tried it with a friend and the two of us couldnt break it loose. There is no way this thing is at 137ft-lbs or not seized to all fuck. It's the axle carrier/hub with the bad bearing too which may or may not play into why this is so hard to get off. Gonna get a nice breaker bar from work and try again tomorrow
>>
>>17255902
I meant the $15 manual ones

not that a breaker bar wouldnt work
>>
>>17255928
oh whoops I meant cheater bar to add to my breaker bar. that being said the small cheater sleeve I was using already was causing my breaker bar to bend a little so I'm afraid what a several foot long one does to it if the nut doesnt give first
>>
>>17255937
You could try tightening it a bit more just enough to break the seal on it and then loosening it that's worked for me before. but sounds like you have a bit of play with all the other stuff that's loose that will make it a lot harder to crack.
>>
>>17255730
>Getting rid of the bulletproof 4.0

>>17250197
Little lift and no engine mods are actually worth don't be fooled by the injector meme. Even with your probable 3.55 gears you can run 31s no issue if that's something you're interested in. Best 4x4 to play with for cheap.
>>
A co-worker said that I can't install a supercharger on my car because I comes with a stock turbo

Is this true, and if it is, why not?
>>
>>17255792
No

I actually live in a 2300 sq/ft house on 5 acres and drive a Lexus LS430.

It's too fucking big. Love the car, but I'd be happier with a GS350 if I didn't have to have the extra size for kids.
>>
File: Possible buy.jpg (135KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Possible buy.jpg
135KB, 1200x900px
$2k 1985 Nissan 300zx with only minor body damage (Scratch and some rust around the T-top), manual, engine looks well kept, underside not shown in pics, sound system is updated and the deck is period aftermarket

Owner lives about an hour and a half away, ad is four days old

Worth the visit? Never driven a Nissan before, so any previous owners know problems, or a better place to look that meme car reviews on Youtube?
>>
>>17256832
Forgot, odometer is 146500 :^)
>>
>>17256832
The V6 300zx is way less reliable and a good bit harder to work on than the older 280z and 280zx ones.

They're awesome cars though, if you've got either a decent amount of miney to throw at it or good tools and some experience working on old cars you should be fine.
>>
>>17256370
Its probably because a supercharger and turbo (Twin Charged) would wreck your stock engine.
>>
Can someone tell me. Can a bad throttle prevent the car from starting? No check engine code for it. But mech said the throttle body looked bad and its a really expensive part so before I buy one I want to know that is the problem.
>>
>went to track day yesterday just to watch
>tons of BRZ/FRS and Civics, as well as a few C5/C6 Corvettes, 911 GT2, and some Radicals
>really want a track car now ($150 to race all day)
more specifically, I want a corvette. the C6s sounded great and looked pretty fun, and kept up with the Porsche more or less

anyway, what's the best cheap track car? I figured a C6 would be ~$15k, but the cheapest I can find used is $20k or more. are C5s or even C4s good track cars? obv a Miata would be great as well, but ideally I'd want something fast as well
>>
What's the best way to clear the back windows of rain?
>>
File: 1494761239697.jpg (185KB, 1698x1140px) Image search: [Google]
1494761239697.jpg
185KB, 1698x1140px
Sup /o/
Recently some stupid bitch crashed into my 1998 corolla so I have been driving my mom's 2011 corolla. I fucking hate that thing. One thing that particularly bothers me is that if the revs are below ~3000 and especially if it is idling, if I blip the throttle, it takes about half a second to respond. If I try downshifting or rev matching like I do in my 1998, the revs are never high enough. I often have my foot off of the gas before the engine even responds. Are there some kind of fuses I can take out to eliminate this? I saw one labelled "electronic throttle control" or something, could this be it? I have considered taking the ABS/traction control fuses out as well and anything else that makes it unresponsive, but decided not to for my mom's sake.
>>
>>17255082
bump for this guy, relevant to my interests
>>
>>17255602
Just becuase something was torqued down to a certain rating doesn't mean its going to come off at that same rating. Shit tends to rust and cold freeze to what ever its at.

and you can easily achieve greater than 137 lb-ft by simply standing on a breaker bar thats longer than a foot. I can achieve 150 with a ~2ft torque wrench by hand since it only takes 75lbs of pressure on the end of it to do it.
>>
>>17257982
Windshield wiper, or rain ex and driving quickly.
>>
>>17257027
Starting as in its not turning over, or starting as in its not firing.

If the latter yes but its rare to have one fail and not have a CEL if its a late model car.

If were talking something 90's and earlier maybe not as CELs were not as comprehensive.
>>
>>17257129
Full on track car? I'd go with something salvaged. although a C6 maybe a little much for someone just starting.

There's a reason you see so many Miatas, its becuase when you fuck up you won't be going as fast.
>>
What's a cheap, fun, stylish project car that isn't a Miata or a 3k civic?
>>
>>17259156
There's a Sticky for that.
>>
how do I raise the redline of my car? I don't mean like removing the rev limiter, I mean how do I make my engine not shit the bed when it goes over a certain rpm?
>>
>>17259926
For most cars the redline isn't the actual mechanical limit the engine can take, many cars can rev several thousand more than where the redline is safely, but several things occur: in an N/A You lose power as the air can only flow so fast into the engine due to constraints of the intake manifold and the properties of air itself, you start to have valve overlap where valves cams and other parts of the top end move too fast to work properly, and it reduces the lifespan on things like the main bearings valves and many other things.

That being said you can increase the redline through the ECU bumping up the Ignition/Fuel cutout but without doing other upgrades, like a lighter flywheel, and rebuilding/improving the heads, then its all for nothing.
>>
>>17258758
The newer corollas are tuned for economy and hard acceleration is bad for economy especially if you want to brag that your car gets 30+mpg. I'm sure you can tune the car to have a faster throttle response, or maybe there's an "economy" button that you can turn off. Otherwise, you went from a cable based throttle to an electrical one. It's a weird change, but not really much you can do about it other than adjust how you drive.
>>
I have a manual rod antenna on my car. It came out of the antenna mast on the hood. I can kinda push it back in and it stays for a while and works for my radio but is in no way a fix.

Is it possible for me to just put some JB Weld on it then put it back into the mast? I read online that JB Weld isnt conductive so it wouldnt work but i didnt plan on completely coating the base. I was just gonna do a little bit on the bottom so the top of the antenna mount was still touching the bare antenna.

Would this work? I dont want to replace my antenna because its the original and i already have some JB Weld lying around.

Thanks
>>
How hard would it be to install a tachometer on a car that didn't come with one? I've got a manual shift econobox that I'd like to install one on, but electrical work isn't really my specialty.
>>
>>17249917
No after a while the weight of the bumper and years of impacts bend the mounting locations or brackets downward, they just need to be replaced or bent back
>>
>>17260340
What do you mean by manual?

If its the old style screw on antenna you can probably get a replacement for less than $10
>>
>>17260373
Depends on the car. Some cars have ready made plug ins under the dash, others you have to run wire off the engine.

My F150 originally came with no Tach but I bought a used OEM gauge that came with a Tach and just swap gauge clusters, it was literally plug and play.
>>
I am about to buy an AP1 s2000 with an asking price of $6000 (can maybe get the price lower). It has the following issues: salvage title (honestly doesn't bother me... the frame is fine), cosmetic imperfections (some paint chips, cracked windshield), 135k miles.

It's by no means perfect it's still a solid car for only $6k. What do you guys think?
>>
Is it worth it to paint over rust on the fenders if the car itself is going to last at most 5 more years? Should i do fine job and blast it with soda? I don't care about looks but would suck to fail inspection cause corrosion.
>>
File: save me.jpg (16KB, 605x146px) Image search: [Google]
save me.jpg
16KB, 605x146px
I've had a bolt stuck in a cylinder head for months. I don't want to buy new heads or do an engine swap, I just want this fucking car to run again. It's a bolt that was holding the lower intake manifold to the cylinder head in an 89 Crown Vic. The lower manifold gasket was leaking coolant which corroded the bolt, and when I went to remove the manifold to change the gasket, the bolt broke in half. Now I can't extract it.
I've tried:
- Speedout as seen on TV bullshit, too weak
- Welding a nut to the remaining stub of bolt, weld wasn't hot enough to actually penetrate the bolt because it's a shitty welder
- dremel grinding tip to attempt drilling through it, tip evaporated
- cobalt coated drill bits, ZERO effect except the drill bit heats up enough to begin smoking

I've read solid carbide bits will chew through anything, but they're brittle and only for use in a drill press. What else can I try? This bolt is made of some fucking unobtanium instead of hardened steel, I swear.

Oddly enough, the titanium coated speedout COULD get through when I tried it the first time, but the cobalt bits which are supposed to be stronger cannot. And today I tried going back to the speedout bit to at least start a pilot hole, and now that won't touch it either. Have I accidentally tempered the bolt into an even harder steel?

WHAT DO
>>
>>17260967
Put as little money into that shit as possible if you don't expect it to last anyway. Wire brush in a drill to remove the loose rust, then blast with rustoleum. Fender shouldn't fail inspection, they only care if the rust is structural (unibody/frame) or a hole that leads into the cabin that could potentially gas you with exhaust.
>>
>>17259926
Stiffer valve springs, mostly. Assuming you've gotten past the artificial rev limiter. After valve springs, you want stronger piston rods, crank, and valves that won't bend under the stress of higher RPM. But engines are mostly limited by valve float so the springs are a good place to start.
>>
>>17260483
It's just a straight rod. I want to keep the original though. Would JB weld be fine?
>>
>>17261300
Find a welding shop and get someone to weld it properly if you want to keep it that much, other wise JB weld it and make it useless.
>>
>>17261300
JB weld does not conduct electricity, so the antenna would not work.
>>
>>17261410
Even if some off the antenna isnt JB welded and is touching the base of the antenna mount? Like bare antenna to bare antenna mount is touching.

>>17261358
If above turns out to be true then il just do what was suggested earlier and get a new antenna. Sucks though
>>
>>17261493
Just buy a new damn antenna, rock auto probably carries the OEM one.
>>
File: 1403337446990.jpg (30KB, 300x309px) Image search: [Google]
1403337446990.jpg
30KB, 300x309px
THIS FUCKING METAL ON METAL SOUND WILL NOT GO AWAY
DID 93 COBRA BRAKE CONVERSION TO 89 5.0
WHEN THE CAR MOVES, MAKES THIS AUTISTIC SCREECHING NOISE ON AND OFF
FIRST I FOUND OUT THAT REAR DUST GUARD SCREWS WERE RUBBING ON ROTOR. REPLACED WITH RIVETS AND THEY CLEAR IT NOW
THEN I RE-CHECKED AND REGREASED THE NEW FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS
IT STILL MAKES THE NOISE
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHAT IS IT
I REALLY HOPE IT'S NOT IN THE AXLE SHAFTS
>>
I am thinking of a Japanese car that looks and behaves both classy and sporty. By classy I mean luxurious as in MB, Audi, etc. And sporty I mean cars like Ferrari, Porsche etc. It MUST be Japanese.
>>
>>17261694
Nissan Skyline GT-R
>>
>>17261254
I think you just dulled the screw extractor bit. Look around for a place to get it sharpened.
>>
>>17261694
sc300
cosmo
isf
>>
>>17261254
take it to a shop, shouldn't cost too much
>>
>>17261694
Lexus GS F or RC F
>>
>>17249858
Im not keen on trucks, how come every truck I see does this? Even new ones
>>
what does it me an for your suspension to bottom out?

is that just your suspension reaching the maximum compression it can handle?
>>
>>17262259
Yes. Spring can only compress so much. Usually there's a rubber bumper to keep it from compressing to the max.
>>
>>17261762
Like take the head to a shop and ask them to remove the fucked bolt? How would they do it that I haven't tried yet?
>>
one day /mg/ will be back, but not today ;~;
>>
File: image.jpg (550KB, 1900x1267px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
550KB, 1900x1267px
Should I get an e30 or is that a money pit? If so, which is the best year?
>>
>>17262621
Its a money pit if its not been maintained other wise they're not that hard to keep running.

Avoid the Eta engine unless you plan on doing a swap, the M10, and non Eta m20 are good though.
>>
>>17262632
Sweet. What's some common issues I should look for?
>>
>>17262660
Rust, worn out suspension bushings, cooling system, timing belt not having been replaced i the last 40k miles, janky repairs, other signs of neglect.

I would not suggest owning one unless you willing to do all and I mean ALL of the work yourself.
>>
>>17251420
>>17250797
Drove a 04 2.3l zx3 for 2 years. Wasn't SVT but it was fun as FUCK to drive. Felt like a go-cart. It was kinda 'spongy' though, gearbox felt like churning butter. But good nonetheless, great dd.
>>
>>17262674
Aren't the parts expensive as fuck too?
I'm guessing this is a "find the perfect one or don't buy it at all" kinda deal
>>
>>17262373
They will have better tools.
>>17261666
It shouldn't be the axle shafts, they get lubed from the pumpkin. Does the noise worsen when turning or braking?
>>
is there a way to filter tap water so my car doesnt get waterspots? my car keeps getting dusty and i cant be washing+drying it 3 times a week
>>
File: headlights2.jpg (44KB, 510x337px) Image search: [Google]
headlights2.jpg
44KB, 510x337px
Sealed headlight isn't working.
>has water in it
>water won't come out
How did water get in? Some type of reverse condensation?

And on to the real question.
I was under the impression that sealed beams basically worked as a big globe, but it looks as if there is a globe inside the thing.
Is there a way to replace the inside globe? Or do I gotta a whole new sealed headlight assembly? I'd rather not spend like $15 if I don't have to (oy vey).
>>
I'm looking for a first car and I'm really stupid and have no idea what to buy but I've found this Hyundai Sonata LX 2006 with 90,000 miles for $2900 and it appears to be in really good condition. What is the likelihood that there will be something seriously wrong with it
>>
>>17262997
Are the lights plastic or glass?
>>
>>17263122
glass
>>
How do you know what torque to use for each bolt?
>>
Last time I flushed my radiator I added the whole thing of antifreeze, forget how big they usually are, and a gallon of distilled water. I want to add some more water. Will it be okay if I just go ahead and add some? Or will I need to remove some of what's currently in my radiator first?
>>
>>17263147
Factory service manual, or guesstimate.
>>17263209
How much is in your reservoir? You did pure ethylene glycol right?
>>
>>17262819
>>17261666
I FIGURED IT OUT
I AM SUCH AN IDIOT
IT'S THE WHEEL DIAMETER
THE 93 COBRA DIDN'T COME WITH 15S
THIS DEFEATS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OR RETAINING 4 LUG SO I DIDN'T HAVE TO BUY NEW WHEELS REEEEEE BUT IT'S SO OBVIOUS GOD DAMNIT
>>
>>17263211
There's not a lot in the reservoir, but I pretty much did 50/50.
Are you asking if I only put in the antifreeze?
>>
>>17263242
No, you can buy premix 50/50 or pure ethylene. Just double checking. If there's room in the system you can always add more of either, it'll just change the ratio.
>>
>>17263249
Ah I got you. Found out the antifreeze came in a gallon. So gallon of antifreeze and a gallon of water. I'm just worried about overfilling it or if it's more effective to leak a bit out before adding more.
>>
>>17263258
Just fill to the fill line. If you live somewhere with a cold winter add more coolant, if you live somewhere warm add more water.
>>
>>17263264
Gonna get hot soon so wanted to add more water for that reason. Winters haven't been that cold lately.

Thanks, anon.
>>
>>17251380
Vwfag here
Do not buy a VR6. PERIOD. by 200k everything in that car is beaten to shit. Will need an engine and tranny swap which would cost more than it's worth.
>>
I've been hearing a noise from the front end that gets louder the faster I drive .Sounds like whumwhumwhumwhum. I rotated the tires to see if it changed where the noise is coming from, but it still sounds like it's from the front end.

While I was rotating unnoticed the front rotors are several grooves in them that can be seen with the naked eye. Aside from these grooves, the rotor doesn't feel warped. Does anyone this cause the noise or are my bearings going out?
>vehicle is a 2010 f150 2wd
>>
So I've finally come to terms with the fact that I got fucked over by buying my car, and I want to sell it. Should I fix some of the smaller issues (new ignition cylinder, new o2 sensor) and clean up the exterior before selling it or just sell as is? All the exterior needs is to be cut and polished to get rid of the oxidized single stage paint, and some of the trim needs to be repainted black.

For a 1989 Foxbody LX with 123k miles, I paid $4000 for it, should I be able to get at least $3500 back? I'm sure it all comes down to finding someone dumber than I am to buy it
>>
>floor it in automatic shitbox
>rpms go up like normal
>car struggles to accelerate, bucks around
My transmission is on its way out right?
>>
>>17263744
Fixing up some of the tiny shit like o2 sensors is worth it as long as you make sure buyers know about it
>>
>>17263744
What's wrong with it? You overpaid but unless it was seriously neglected it should drive fine.
>>
File: Dg6mLjc.jpg (1017KB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Dg6mLjc.jpg
1017KB, 4000x3000px
>>17263781
Thats what I figured.

What about the BIG problem though?

v
>>17263771
There is a clicking coming from the transmission, and it gets louder with speed. You can feel it in the shifter. I took it to a transmission specialist and they said they don't know for sure, but one of the gears might be missing a tooth. It drives perfect except for making a bunch of noise, but the shop also said it could be anywhere between 2 months and a year before it started causing problems.
>>
>>17263798
Sell that shit BEFORE the tranny blows
>>
>>17263830
When I do sell it, how do I approach the subject? Just say the tranny makes a bit of noise?
>>
>>17263835
Since you can feel it in the shifter, say that's where it's coming from
>>
>>17263852
OK. What about pricing, do you think I could make $3000+ from another dumbass like me, or am I going to have to take a huge loss?
>>
>>17263858
Desu I'd sell it as high as possible. Might take a few people, but someone's bound to come through and overpay.
>>
File: c939b74cb4fa0dfb008c6974334.jpg (47KB, 640x477px) Image search: [Google]
c939b74cb4fa0dfb008c6974334.jpg
47KB, 640x477px
>>17249811
Just bought a 2014 corolla LE for $11433. 24k miles, manual transmission (because I'm a hipster with a superiority complex).

Bought the warranty because I'm a sheep and easily pressured. 5 years, $1230 factory warranty with Roadside, towing, and renting.

How hard did that dealer fuck me? This was my first car purchase.

Picrelated.
>>
>>17263858
If it were me my guilt would get in the way of me selling it for a lot of money. I think I know what you can do, though. Go on Copart or whatever and buy another WC T5 and put that in there, and get some color match paint for the hood, and keep the car. Looks clean otherwise.
>>
>>17263858
Oh and don't feel too bad about overpaying. My first car was an automatic fwd eclipse. Paid 5k for it and sold it for $600 8 months later. Kids are dumb as hell
>>
Is it normal to see faces in the front of every car.
Except for models like say Challenger and Camaro practically every car I see the lights as the eyes and the air entrace as mouth if it not teeth.
>>
File: 1477313402493.jpg (62KB, 449x600px) Image search: [Google]
1477313402493.jpg
62KB, 449x600px
>>17263890
of course it is dear
>>
File: 745.jpg (294KB, 1376x1343px) Image search: [Google]
745.jpg
294KB, 1376x1343px
>>17263890
>>
File: 1494949190869.jpg (83KB, 750x406px) Image search: [Google]
1494949190869.jpg
83KB, 750x406px
>>17263890
Yep.
>>17263866
13 grand out the door for a car that will last decades if you take care of it? Not too bad anon.
>>
>>17263865
Yeah, if I bought it for so much, I'm sure some other poor soul will do the same.

>>17263869
Yeah its fairly clean. Their are of course a few dings and scratches on the outside, and there is a tiny rust bubble starting on the front wheel well. The interior is in solid condition too.

>>17263881
I guess you're right. I still imagine the seller of the car, a British guy in his 40s, snickering after I left and and laughing at me for paying so much. I do feel better because I got him down from $5000 though
>>
File: 5b69008f4419c0404231b016f15.jpg (35KB, 640x477px) Image search: [Google]
5b69008f4419c0404231b016f15.jpg
35KB, 640x477px
>>17263902
It was 15k after taxes and after I succumbed to the environment protection and tire/wheel coverage :<
>>
>>17263924
A clean fox is a rarity these days, replace the tranny.
>>
>>17253023
Wich version of the 13b do you mean exactly?
>>
>>17263944
As much as I love having the power and feel of a V8 at my fingertips, I'm a very inexperienced driver. I can't get as hektik in this as I can my DD shitbox because its not as powerful. As dumb as it sounds I would feel much more at home in a smaller FWD shitbox.

Nothing against RWD, just I'm too shit of a driver right now to be able to handle it
>>
>>17263993
>Nothing against RWD, just I'm too shit of a driver right now to be able to handle it

You must have driving skills of a soccer mom.
>>
File: 2bp48x.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2bp48x.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
>>17264006
Considering my driver's ed class was basically useless and my mom who taught me, who is an even worse driver than I am, I would say thats pretty accurate.

Most of my problems with RWD so far have just been taking turns a bit too fast and losing the rear wheels and sliding
>>
>>17264019
Then take turns slower silly
>>
>>17263993
>>17264019
The fox mustang does not turn corners well stock. You could also have shit tires.
>>
>>17264163
All four tires are brand new BFG Comp 2 A/S. As expensive as they were (just $350 for the fronts) I would hope they're not shitty
>>
>>17263771
Bumpin
>>
>>17264549
Yes
>>
>>17264556
ty bb
>>
What's the best radar detector you can buy for the money? I got pulled over for doing 3 over the limit again and I'm sick of it.
I don't know which features are bullshit fluff and what actually works.
>>
File: IMG_20170518_151659.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170518_151659.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Miata NA fag here, my rear brake tends to not release after it was used. Not sure if it's because of handbrake or normal braking, but it gets worse the longer I drive.
Goes to a point where they start smoking.
Changed brakes a few days ago and it didn't stop the behavior. Fiddling with handbrake screws doesn't help either.

What could it be?
>>
>>17264677
You have a stuck Piston, you need a new caliper or have the current one rebuilt.
>>
>>17264677
Did you grease your pins?
>>
>>17264683
Thanks.
>>17264685
Yes and they move fine.
>>
>>17264694
There's something stuck in your piston then
>>
So I had a ticking noise presumably coming from front left. I took the liberty of changing the wheel bearings and grease seal. The tick went away for about a week and now it's back, but barely noticeable. Is it the bearing or is there more to the issue?
>>
br/o/s

my windshield washer fluid pump thing doesn't work. wipers are fine but no fluid coming out. can't hear the pump whirring either. no blockages, reservoir is full. what do?
>>
>>17264817
Believe it or not, your pump is dead. Replace it.
>>
>>17264823
fug D:
>>
File: 1492265126145.jpg (34KB, 749x283px) Image search: [Google]
1492265126145.jpg
34KB, 749x283px
Could an intake manifold not being torqued down enough cause coolant to leak from it?

I installed a new gasket and wrenched it tight, but it seems to be leaking the stuff.
>>
>>17264790
Bearings usually squeak or make a scrubbing sound do you have a CV joint there?
>>
My car is really loud and obnoxious and attention grabbing. The problem is I'm really autistic and don't like attention but I want to hear my engine. How do I stop being autistic
>>
>>17264922
http://archive.is/LZFZb
Fake engine sounds.
>>
Can I remove my front plate on my MX-5? I see other cars without front plates all the time but CA DMV website says I need both. What gives?
>>
Need to replace my ignition cylinder because the turn signals and AC don't work unless its wiggled a certain way.

Should I buy from rockauto or a restomod site for my car? I can get a cylinder from rockauto for $17.85 and get one from the restomod site for 17.99.

Is it worth the extra 14 cents to just get from a well known and regarded retailer?

Also, rockauto says it would be here by June 6th, and the other site would be here June 1st, unless I wanted to pay an extra $5 to get it this Tuesday. I guess I could technically say I'd be paying that extra 14 cents for faster shipping if I got it from the site
>>
File: ride-1.png (195KB, 374x283px) Image search: [Google]
ride-1.png
195KB, 374x283px
>>17263217
FUCK THAT WASN'T THE FIX AFTER ALL
>>
>>17264891
No. 4WD/RWD.
>>
File: OEDIAG2_T022340.jpg (298KB, 1000x1022px) Image search: [Google]
OEDIAG2_T022340.jpg
298KB, 1000x1022px
>>17265163
Forgot pic
>>
>>17264677
time for a big brake kit
>>
>>17264677
There is a spring between the brake pads, maybe it is worn/rusted out and doesn´t push them away anymore.
>>
just bought a '89 toyota camry with the 2vz-fe 2.5 liter
it was throwing EGR codes
but then i gave it an Italian tuneup two days in a row
nothing serious, just some 80 mph highway driving
suddenly no codes and it passed smog test with flying colors today
what happen?
>>
I've been doing some research, and it seems that the 2013 Miata is pretty highly rated for longer term reliability. I found a listing for a GT one with leather seats, 34k miles, with a hard top in manual for 18500. Can possibly get more off due to employer incentive discounts. Does that sound like a good deal?
>>
>>17265601
>italian tuneup
>2,5L engine
>80mph
That is not a italian tuneup, that is normal driving.
When I do a italian tuneup in my 68hp econobox I drive 110mph for like 30 minutes.
>>
>>17264969
It's not something cops regularly pull people over for, but it does give them an excuse to pull you over and stick their face in the car. Just get one of those front tow hook screw in license plate relocators.
>>
File: 1443555755254.jpg (356KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1443555755254.jpg
356KB, 1920x1200px
>>17265633
the age and condition of this vehicle made it an italian tuneup
I hit redline several times
but that's beside the point
but why would an EGR code appear and then mysteriously
>>
>>17264870
You didn't torque the bolts down to spec and are wondering why you're leaking coolant? I'm hoping you're not that dumb and maybe some gasket sealer, not much you can do if torquing them down doesn't work with a fresh gasket. Did you clean all of the surface off before putting the new gasket down?
>>
>>17265651
Maybe it burned away some carbon deposits in the valve...
>>
any tips for spray painting a starter housing?
>sand and clean it
>mask contacts/terminals
anything else?
>>
>>17263290
Bump. Any ideas?
>>
>>17266420
you probably have something stuck between the pad and rotor
change pads and rotors
inspect caliper piston for damage
>>
>>17266398
you probably want to spray it with paint at some point
>>
File: IMG_5875.gif (26KB, 743x423px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5875.gif
26KB, 743x423px
>fox Mustang throws check engine light around 2300 to 3000 rpms
>do the key on engine off test
>get codes 41, 79 and 31

According to my Haynes manual
>79 is air conditioner clutch circuit
not sure what this one means
>41 is o2 sensor signal
not sure what this means either, does it mean the o2 sensor is bad or what?
>31 is canister or egr valve control system
does this mean my egr valve is bad?

I've watched videos and know how to diagnose bad egr valves but how do I diagnose bad oxygen sensors? What about the ac clutch?

thanks in advance
>>
>>17266671
replace your o2 sensor and make sure the wire is good, use a multi-meter. Don't mess with the egr valve until you do this
Check the wires going into the a/c compressor. You might have to replace the compressor.
>>
>>17266660
recommendations?
>cheaper to get at ace vs a parts store?
would like a fun engine enamel color
but would barbeque paint be cheaper?
I'm tired of rusty shit in the engine bay
>>
>>17266398
you are getting heat resistant paint?

I'd powder coat the bitch if it's in your budget.
>>
>>17266686
I looked up the ac code and it's for a short or if the ac is on but not running.
I turned the knob to off and pulled the codes again and that code didnt show up again.
>>
>>17266746
>I'd powder coat the bitch if it's in your budget.
it's not
the reason I'm taking the starter off at all is to rebuild the solenoid, and i hate reinstalling rusty parts
>you are getting heat resistant paint?
ya see >>17266708
I usually use dupli-color but other brand recommendations would be good too
>>
My car clicks when turning. IT'S RWD so it can't be a cv joint because it doesn't have them. I replaced the tie rods already so it shouldn't be those. It was the first thing I've ever done on a car so I may have out them on wrong, but I had it aligned and I would think they would have said something if they weren't on right. Where should I look next?
>>
>>17267066
check your wheel bearings
>>
>>17267123
this

>>17267066
how old is your shitbox?
>>
>>17267175
Its from 1989 so about 28 or so years
>>
My '91 Honda is dying with ~120k on it.

What's a good <$20k car that won't fall apart on me in two years?
>>
I'm 19, 20 in a couple weeks. Currently make about 30k a year (gross) and the vast majority goes to bills and classes. Looking at getting a 2000's Celica GTS. I love driving, just don't want a payment and I really hate the looks I get driving around in my rusted out loud as fuck 95 Civic.

Tl;dr I like coupes and don't bring home much money. Is a Celica GTS a good bang for my buck?

Other suggestions welcome. I just gotta get away from this Honda stigma.
>>
>>17267215
Newer Honda? Nissan Maxima? There are a ton of great options. It would help if we knew what you were looking for in a car.
>>
>>17267216
Eh any serious car guy will know immediately its a shit box as they're not particularly fast or notable for handling; but they look the part, if that's what you want.
>>
>>17267223
Just something to get me from point A to point B. My current car only had three working doors, no AC, and a radio hardwired to an ancient 2nd gen iPod, so literally anything new is going to be great by me.
Thanks for the suggestions, I literally know nothing about cars other than my current one is very old.
>>
>>17267216
Gts isn't too bad. Decent modding potential since it comes with the 2zz
>>
>>17267229
Would you have a suggestion? Handling is definitely important to me. I know personally that it's not what it looks like, same with the Civic, but when I tell people I love cars and driving I don't want them to laugh in my face.

I guess at the end of the day I want to fit in to car culture
>>
>>17267290
If you can wrench or are willing to learn a turd gen or foxbody would be your best bet. Cheap as fuck but still respected as long as you take care of it
>>
>>17267231
If you want A to B don't go with the Maxima actually it's not going to be the best on gas. I'd say newer Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Ford econo-car will do you good. I'd say stay away from Mitsubishi, Kia, Dodge, and Chrysler but at the end of the day it's up to you. Those last ones are just cars I would not buy if it were me.
>>
>>17267312
I've always been a JDM fanboy and hadn't considered looking at anything American but I will look into it. Maybe my limited criteria has been what's making this harder on me.
>>
File: used-radiators.jpg (48KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
used-radiators.jpg
48KB, 450x338px
Are all aluminum, big THICC radiators worth it for a completely stock vehicle?

Or should I just get whatever on amazon that has prime?
>>
>>17267334
Any 80s Japanese car would do the job too
>>
>>17267345
If I could find another MX-3 it would be ideal. I loved the obscurity of it, and nobody seemed to care that it was slow.

I've looked at some 3rd gen Supra's and Z's, it's hard to find shit in Kansas that isn't rusted out though. Doesn't rule them out they are just in limited supply.
>>
>>17267216
BMW E21
>>
>>17267335
They're less likely to fail in my experience. They are expensive as fuck thought.
>>
>>17267364
I'm talking the cheap generic ones really though.
like $160 cheap, vs $90 for a "Spectra"
>>
>>17267290
>I guess at the end of the day I want to fit in to car culture

That's the wrong way to look at it, we have plenty of those type fuckers running around, and that's why they're called ricers and stancers, they prefer Form over function and get called out on it for being infantile and wasteful.

If you want a Celica Get an earlier Celica, especially if you can snag an 80's AWD one. Other than that look for something with RWD an FC Rx7 or an E30.

I would suggest a Miata but it seems you're caught up on bullshit like Aesthetics so it might not be up your alley.
>>
>>17267395
A cheap all aluminum radiator is asking for trouble.

I wasn't aware of many companies that still made all aluminum for OEM applications, most of them have plastic sides that rupture due to heat cycles.
>>
File: 3e4.jpg (79KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
3e4.jpg
79KB, 680x680px
>>17258860
I heard enginetech was shit, so I ended up buying the ITM piston/ring set on rockauto
>>
I'm strongly considering buying a car that's known for having problems with its brake rotors warping because the rotors were designed for a much smaller and lighter vehicle. I intend to immediately buy some heavier duty rotors to replace them. I'll also be buying new brake pads at the same time.

However, I think I ought to go ahead and get bigger, better brakes at the same time I replaced the rotors and brake pads. So, what's the full list of parts I should be looking to get for this project?
>>
File: rnjrbmokxg2purwhxi9c.png (764KB, 1426x645px) Image search: [Google]
rnjrbmokxg2purwhxi9c.png
764KB, 1426x645px
>>17267845
good to know, thanks br/o/
>>
File: 2014-Honda-Accord-Sport.jpg (70KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
2014-Honda-Accord-Sport.jpg
70KB, 1000x667px
Is it worth making payments on a used car for 6 years? Pic related is what I got.
>>
>>17268178
>6 years

are you retarded? 3 years tops, and if you can't afford that then find something cheaper.
>>
>>17267937
It would help to know what car it is.
>>
File: 84748393939.jpg (20KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
84748393939.jpg
20KB, 480x480px
Hey /o/, got a mechanical question for you that is.. odd.

So I have a 2001 ford taurus, and my check engine light came on. This car really hasn't had any problems other than the electrical system being fubar. I've had to replace my alternator, battery cables, and 2 batteries, but that is unrelated (I think). I take my car to autozone and have them check what code it is giving and the code is for a faulty neutral safety switch. This is odd considering my car starts just fine, always on first turn.

Now, my transmission underplate did need replacing (the bolts had corroded and was leaking tm fluid), so my transmissiom was acting up due to lack of fluid but that was remedied asap.

tl;dr: Why would my 2001 ford taurus give a neutral safety switch error if my car is starting perfect?
>>
>>17249878
When is the last time a Subaru Forester caught your eye?
>>
where to buy engine parts in aus? most aus sellers only stock 2jz shit and stuff like that
>>
>>17250450

What if you have a bed cover?
>>
>>17268439
What was the exact code?
And its probably corrosion build up on the connector causing a bad connection between the ECM and NSS while running/startup.
>>
File: Thinking_Face_Emoji.png (101KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Thinking_Face_Emoji.png
101KB, 640x640px
Is it normal for a mechanic to hold onto a car for an extra day to "make sure the repair works" or is he driving his kids to school in my shit?
>>
>>17249811
what is the best way to learn how to drive stick? buying the cheapest one I can find on craiglist?
>>
File: tumblr_mirjnbZ4Rj1qc8b1uo1_500.png (300KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mirjnbZ4Rj1qc8b1uo1_500.png
300KB, 500x378px
>>17268357
I got some money saved so I think I can pay it off in 3 or 4 years

Only problem is that I'm gonna be stuck with a dead end job and I won't be able to go back to college.
>>
>>17250526
>CarNextDoor

Is it 'damage' or just normal wear and tear?

It's important to understand the difference between 'damage' and 'wear and tear', and how they are dealt with when you share your car.
Minor scuffing, small scratches, etc., are considered to be normal wear and tear that comes from your car being out and about doing what it's made for. Wear and tear is not covered under our insurance policy.
You are compensated for this wear and tear through the per-kilometre payment that you receive. For each kilometre that a Borrower drives, you receive 25 cents, in addition to your share of the hourly and daily rate.
https://carnextdoor.zendesk . c o m /hc/en-gb/articles/204824639-What-if-a-Borrower-damages-my-car-

>Sorry, looks like someone hit your car while it was parked, it's a small scuff, that's normal wear and tear.
>>
>>17268364
It's a Chevrolet HHR.
>>
>>17268801
Yes.

>>17268812
Then why did you take a loan out?

>>17269443
I don't think big brake kits for those exist. Could be wrong though, and you can't just find a bigger set of calipers and rotors off some random car. You have to have something that will fit the car and inside the wheel.
>>
>>17249811
dont make fun of my car op ;_;
>>
>>17268784
depends on what he did
>major mechanical work
>something shadetree tier and not recommended by FSM
>any sort of epoxying or patch repair that takes time to cure
>leak repair
these are valid reasons
if you brought it in for normal maintenance then he's using your car
>>
>>17268784
Probably just need a day to make sure YOU can take your kids to school the next day. Better safe than sorry. Plus check the odometer if you're worried about joyriding. They usually list it on the invoice estimate when you drop your car off. Just compare to the current readout. I'd probably say anything over 15-20 miles, depending on the original issue, would raise my eyebrow.
>>
Planning on swapping a semi auto trans into my car, how can i find put what ones are compatible with my engine? What price range should i be looking at? A few quick google searches only showed older 90s/early 2000s ones for 1k+
>>
>>17268812
Why did you get such an expensive car with a loan no less? Champagne taste on a beer budged mang. If you sell the car to buy something cheaper you'll be upside down for sure and be stuck in a 90's shitbox for a while.
>>
If I was selling an old econobox hatchback that had been in a serious front end collision but still runs smoothly and has had the damaged parts replaced (not professionally), how much would you buy it for?

Additional details:
>167k miles
>2002 model year
>5speed manual
>fwd
>1.5L SOHC 4cyl
>still pretty apparent that it's taken a hit (panel gaps, paint scratches on original parts, new parts different color)
>no working ac
>no engine damage whatsoever resulting from the crash
>>
>>17270200
I mean, personally, I have some minimum requirements for buying a car, and a/c is one of them. Also, I like clean fitting panels. I probably would offer you maybe 1700 USD and see where you go from there?
>>
>>17268648
then your bed won't fill with air and you won't get downforce

>air dam dynamics
this is the same reason why if you open a split rear window on a truck cab on the highway with the other windows off any trash, dust or leaves gets blown straight into the cab from the bed
>bed is high pressure zone due to air dam
>cab is low pressure zone
>atmosphere wants to normalize
>truck bed air literally goes faster than vehicle to get into cab

if you block or remove the tailgate (i.e. gate net, tonneau cover) you remove this effect
>>
File: 1439408560874.jpg (16KB, 330x417px) Image search: [Google]
1439408560874.jpg
16KB, 330x417px
>>17270212
>windows off
i meant to type closed
mornings amirite
>>
>>17270181
call a salvage yard, they will be the most free and accurate with knowledge since they deal with labeling and crating that shit all day
>ask them if they have any of your engine
>ask what kind of trans will mate with it
>if fail, ask them for their resources
>questions like
>where would you go to to find _____?
>>
>>17268784
Depending on the work, yes.

I just had a problem with my car where I couldn't start it, brought it to a mechanic, mechanic did a bunch of things and then let me know I can pick it up. I drove it home and it was working fine. But the next time I went to drive it a few days later, I couldn't drive it because it idled incredibly rough. Took it back to the mechanic, said it was an issue only when the engine was still cold and that he should have kept it longer before letting me take it.
>>
>>17270209
Useful information. What if I put ac in it and fixed the panel gaps?
>>
>2008 MK5 Golf
>12V cigarette outlet won't work
>checked fusebox, fuses still good

what the DANG is the HECKING issue here
>>
>>17271573
Probably a severed wire between the outlet and the fusebox, or just a bad ground. Did you test the outlet itself for continuity?
>>
Would it be a waste to get Pilot Sport 3 tires on my Ford Focus?
>>
File: 20170515_155658.png (3MB, 2627x1346px) Image search: [Google]
20170515_155658.png
3MB, 2627x1346px
Asked this before but forgot the answer
Got 2 amps, both for free, and not sure which to use. Might end up selling both. Dont care about muh bass or any of that. Which would be better for overall quality/clarity?
>>
>>17271573
Fuse? And just looking at it isn't good enough.

After that the most common thing is rust/corrosion inside causing a poor connection to the device inserted.

Next most common would be a bad connection of the cigarette outlet to the car.

Everything else is just weird shit that no one would be able to anticipate and would require actual diagnostics to find.
>>
Are 4 cylinders suppose to sound so tinny and gutless? Because mine does. They are suppose to sound like that right. Shitbox mazda 3 2.3l, the dipstick on this thing is also retarded.
>>
>>17271664
>>17272087
Dummy me didn't actually try a multimeter on the fuses. Will try that first, thanks guys
>>
can someone explain car terminology to me. Trying to describe a problem my car sometimes has to a mechanic friend.
What exactly is meant by engine turning over.
My car wont start, but it makes the sound as if it wants to. But it never revs at all. Which is different than a problem I had before where my car wont turn on byt the rpm goes to 1.5 while you turn the key.
>>
How does one clean rust off of an old ass car?
>>
>>17272187
IMO 4cyls are made to be cheap and fuel efficient. They can be made to go fast, sound mean, etc. But those are the main 2 selling points for a vast majority of people, and an even bigger majority of the target audience for most 4cyls. Most cars worth modding have a decent aftermarket market, and exhaust is probably one of the biggest sellers in aftermarket parts. Its somewhat easy, and can make your shitty 4banger sound like a slightly meaner but still shitty 4banger
>>
>>17272254
>makes noise but doesnt start
Thats what turning over is
>turns over but no rpms
You dont get rpms until the car starts. I cant think of a good way to explain this, but imagine 2 gears connected to a hand crank. When the gears are touching, turning the crank would give you "rpms". This is equivilent to your engine actually starting and running. Now if the gears were seperated and you tried to turn the crank, you wouldnt get any "rpms" and youd be wasting your time. This is whats currently happening when your car turns over but doesnt start (when it makes noise but doesnt start).
I cant think of a better way to explain this, hope you get it. If not someone else can probably explain better.
>>
>>17271697
You'll have to change them out again in 10k miles.

Are you going to be using them for what they're made for?
>>
>>17272742
And as for the last part pf your post
>doesnt turn on but jumps to 1500rpms when you turn the key
Not sure desu. I doubt ill be able to help with that, but if you explain more i might be able to.

>>17272363
Depends. If its surface rust you can try to sand it out. If its a big area you can try blasting it. Sand, glass, or even water vapor. That gets expensive though, compared to buying a ton of sandpaper sheets and going at it until the only thing you hate more than the car is yourself for not just blasting it in the first place.
>>
>>17272777
>>17272777
>>17272777
>>17272777
>>17272777
NEW THREAD.
>>
>>17249851
crossovers are just minivans with doors because people are too stupid to know the difference
>>
>>17263830
arent trannies for domestic cars only like $1200
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.