[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prius/How did it come to this...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

Sup guys.

I'm looking for a 2010-2012 Toyota Prius.
I live in Yurop, if that matters.

I had 3 cars in my life up to this point. Accord Type R 1998, Saab 9-3 Aero Turbo 2005 and BMW e46 330ci 2006.

I'm sick and tired of BMW being unreliable, I started to pretty much hate cars and I can't see myself as being a petrolhead anymore. I have this car for 3 years and it's a nightmare I can't wake up from, can't sell this shit either.

So, tl;dr - I want something REALLY reliable to get myself from A to B with decent comfort and as cheap as possible. I mean, I don't even want to think about a car I own - what's wrong now, what is going to be wrong next, etc.

I did my research, so I just want to clarify few questions.

1) Fuel consumption.
6l/100 km - 38 MPG; 8l/100 km - 29 MPG during the winter (meaning heating the car etc.).
Are these numbers realistic (worst case scenario so to say)

2) I've heard about the petrol engine problems in these models - piston rings tend to wear/are quite weak, leading to burning of oil as the car ages (worse than it should be) - can anybody comment on that? I'm not keen on adding few quarts of oil every 1000km...

3) What mileage should I look for? Some people say that if the mileage is low, battery could be bad - because the car wasn't driven enough to maintain a healthy status. On the other hand, excessive wear is bad too. What's a good number for a 2010-2012 car?
80-100k miles?

4) CVT Transmission? Anything to be afraid of?

5) Any other warnings/comments? Should I be prepared for anything? Maintenance? Repairs?

PS Other suggestions are welcome, but I don't want to buy an older/more expensive car.
>>
>>15898183>>15898183
have a test bump
>>
>>15898184
Thanks

As for battery, after reading the internets I came to a conclusion that if a car was not driven by a complete idiot, it should hold for many years ahead with same performance.
>>
last bunp
>>
File: lexus ct200h.jpg (2MB, 2343x1386px) Image search: [Google]
lexus ct200h.jpg
2MB, 2343x1386px
cop this, not that
>>
>>15898423
also i have no idea where you're reading about realibility issues, the prius is like the least killable car ever made
>>
>>15898423
This is way more expensive. I can get 2010 prius for like 9k euros, this Lexus will start at 13k.
>>
File: 6243-big.jpg (79KB, 950x395px) Image search: [Google]
6243-big.jpg
79KB, 950x395px
>>15898183
>>>15898423
>also i have no idea where you're reading about realibility issues, the prius is like the least killable car ever made

Mercedes would like a word
>>
>>15898517
W123 is even more reliable, 500.000 km is no problem
>>
>>15898539

I read an article on this Greek cabbie hitting 1million without issues
>>
>>15898442
>3k difference
get the lexus, much more comfy, slightly more fun to drive, looks way fucking better
>>
>>15898517
old merc drivetrains are reliable but lots of little things tend to break on them, nothing breaks on a prius
>>
>>15898709
>13-9=3
Not exactly, but you tried
>>
>>15898857
oh, i read the 10 in 2010 as the 10k

but still, save up that 4k difference you'll appreciate it
>>
>>15898183
ride the bus or train faggot. you're not an enthusiast so why are you here?
>>
>>15898183
imo XW50 looks like dogshit
>>
>>15898183
2010s seem to have oil consumption issues from my research. Don't know about the other years, so that's the year I would avoid. I would aim for newer and with higher miles compared to older and low miles
>>
5spd corolla

then get a bike
>>
File: IMG_5694 (large).jpg (100KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5694 (large).jpg
100KB, 1000x667px
>>15898183
We have a Prius daily. A 2012 Prius Plug-in. I highly recommend you get the plug-in if you like me do most of your driving within some 25 km. It saves tremendously on fuel to be able to charge the car and drive it on electricity only (with MUCH better EV-acceleration and top speed than the standard Prius). They made that plug-in from 2012-2015.

1) Fuel consumption on the normal 3rd gen Prius (and the plugin, once the plugin-pack runs out) will be at around 4 or 5 l/100 km in the summer and maybe around 6 l/100 km in the winter.
Again, it presupposes that your engine will be able to get warm. If you drive short stints without getting the engine warn, your mileage will suffer.

2) There are no engine problems on these that I know of and I've never heard of them having high oil consumption. It's one of the most reliable and non-faulty cars Toyota have made in the recent years. Check out the forums on priuschat.com to see if anyone else have any issues.

3) Low as possible, but not due to battery. Due to overall wear. Batteries don't really take damage from low/high wear since they're always kept from being completely full or empty (car starts charging them before 20% and will stop before 80%-ish).
I live in car-hating Norway with ridiculous car prices, yet I found a barely used Prius Plug-in with the highest equipment spec from 2012 with just 14.000 miles on the clock for 230k NOK, which doesn't translate to crazy-english-low-prices, but it's REALLY cheap.

4) Annoying to most petrolheads, but not a problem at all when you're used to it. It's nice to have linear acceleration, and it's brilliant in queues.

5) Get a premium spec model (not sure if all markets share specs, but anyway). It's got leather seats, solar panel roof (powers the car's fans "for free" to avoid the car turning into a sauna on hot days) (not available on plug-in)., LED low-beam headlamps (from 2012->) and DRL, head-up display, adaptive cruise control (radar), JBL sound system etc.
>>
>>15898895

This

>>>/n/
>>
I own a 2004 Prius as a DD and I just hit 200,000 miles.

Slow? Definitely. Boring? Absolutely.

But such a smooth, quiet ride and the car just looks great too. Interior's well kept. Only popular with the parents of the girl you're dating. Instant vote of approval. Selling it soon though, 200k miles is too much for me to risk more rust damage and potential computer issues.
>>
>>15899702
cont...
Regarding the choice between the Prius or the Lexus CT200h:
I drove both when deciding for the new daily. The Lexus is FUN to drive, in spite of the drivetrain. It's got great handling and feels like a nimble little happiness-machine. It's also a bit too firm on the suspension for my liking.

The Prius is in no way as engaging to drive. In the Prius it's all about the car being EASY to drive and being easy to drive economically. Like all Prius-drivers, you'll end up getting sucked into all the fun little gadgets that encourage you to drive economically.

Another huge difference between the Prius and CT200h is cabin space.
The Prius is incredibly spacious. I am 190 cm tall and will fit very comfortably behind my own driving position in the back seat. It's also got a flat dash with lots of open space, leading to a really comfortable drive.
Apart from a lot road noise, of course. It's an economy car, and the doors and wheel-wells need soundproofing. Get a decent set of quiet tires.

The Lexus is much much MUCH more cramped. Even in the drivers seat, the dash sits high and intrudes on your personal space. The button layout for various navigation and climate control functions is also really messy.
Upside is much more sound-proofing, much better seats (at least for tall people like me) and a much more engaging drive.
>>
>>15898517
Volvo would as well
>>
>>15898548
>>15898539
>>15898517
>>15901897

Internet memesters. Yes those old Mercedes are sturdier than hell and hold up great in those third world environments, but they're also constantly being repaired. You couldn't just buy a clean old W124 here in the States on craigslist (or one of those fabled diesels) and expect it to be even remotely as reliable as a prius. Sorry, not happening.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.