[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT : Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 62

File: dakar.jpg (829KB, 1822x1195px) Image search: [Google]
dakar.jpg
829KB, 1822x1195px
Learn From Your Mistakes Edition

>Ask /o/ questions that are either sensible or stupid here.
>Also answer to questions if you know them.

Last QTDDTOT >>15415564 to reach bump limit soon.
>>
File: QUgtRuw.png (273KB, 540x363px) Image search: [Google]
QUgtRuw.png
273KB, 540x363px
I have an '08 Impreza with pretty low mileage. When I press the brakes, I get a periodic creaking/thudding sound (ie it feels like the noise happens every time the tires rotate)

Anyone know what the issue might be?

If its something like replacing the break pads, could I do that on my own with some jack stands and basic tools?

If not how much does it usually cost for them to put in new brake pads and whatever else they do?
>>
>>15439843
Could be that your caliper is in an odd position causing unnecessary premature wear on the pads. Happened to my gti couple months back, have someone walk beside the car as you're driving it to get a good sense of whats wrong exactly
>>
Can anyone please tell me if a drivers license from a country in the EU works in the US? If yes for how long is it valid and does the law differ from state to state and/or county to county?
>>
>>15439957
Depends on the country and US state. You may have to take a written test as well to transfer it.
>>
>>15439889
thanks for the reply
this youtube video is pretty much the exact same kinda noise I have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfmlgYaI84k
>>
Let's see if I've got this straight:

For a given bottom end strength (let's say 700hp), which power adder gives the most crank hp?
>positive displacement should be lowest, needing energy to be spun,and being less efficient than centrifugals
>centrifugals are next, also requiring crank power to be spun,but being more efficient in their compression
>almost best are turbo's, requiring no crank power, but they do cause a small amount backpressure
>best would be nitrous,requiring no at all
However, nitrous is impractical in some situations (road racing/street usefor example).

Am I correct in these assumptions?

Also, which power adder would get the best MPG? I'd figure turbo's, because you could freewheel those with modern boost control. Positive displacement blowers cause a massive intake restriction, and I don't know of any way to freewheel those, or a centrifugal.
>>
>>15439957
apply for an international driver's license when asking for your visa, that should be valid.
>>
>>15440070
All of the FI methods will make your MPG worse. The entire point of pushing in more air is so you can add more gas. You're burning more per combustion cycle.
However, with boost controls and self-discipline on the throttle you can drive around without spooling your turbo, so you'll be driving as if it was a N/A car.

Turbos have their own headaches though, they need oil lines, exhaust and intake piping, and they need to at least try to stay cool, if possible.

I don't know of a supercharger (centrifugal or positive displacemnt) that needs oil lines. Admittedly I don't know much of installing centrifugals.
>>
>>15439843
>>15440044
So after a bit of general reading I see that replacing the brakes and rotors will run me over $500-600 easy. That is a fuck load of money that is gonna be hard to come by.

Are there any guides or something that'll help me try and diagnose what the problem is? FML man I've babied the fuck out of this car
>>
>>15440203
>The entire point of pushing in more air is so you can add more gas.
The trick is not adding said air during cruise situations, increasing MPG.

I'm not talking about a turbo installation, I'm talking about theoretical hrsepower and MPG merits of FI methods. Also, centrifugals generally need oil lines, unless they've got ancy bearings. Turbos with similar bearings also do not need oil lines.
>>
>>15440044
Probably warped rotors. Does the brake pedal vibrate under light braking?
Figure out which end is making the noise and do those first.
>>
Do you guys know where I can get a new clutch rotator? Mine doesn't work anymore.
>>
>>15440247

Nonsense. There is not a single commercially available turbocharger without hydrodynamic bearings requiring a supply of oil.

Paxton, CAPA and Vortech all have models of centrifugal superchargers with a small sump containing their own lubricating oil. Raptor and CAPA further have belt drive overdrive transmissions available for some models which reduces the amount of oil retained as it is used only to lubricate the shaft bearings instead of a planetary transmission or chain.
>>
File: 1442904156682.jpg (7KB, 364x160px) Image search: [Google]
1442904156682.jpg
7KB, 364x160px
>>15440331
>what are parts stores?
>what is the internet?
rockauto.com or o'reilys if you need a brick-and-mortar
>>
File: IMG_20160714_191246.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160714_191246.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
/o/ i screwed up

i wanted to see what was up w my brakes making noise

i took the wheel and drum off

the i fully depressed the brakes

brake fluid squirted everywhere according to who was watching the wheel and now the wheel cylinder is stuck on one end and the one pad is stuck extended

i cant put the drum back on or move the car

pls help
>>
File: IMG_20160714_191255.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160714_191255.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>15441105
im panicking so hard rn
>>
>>15441118

Open the bleed screw for this cylinder and use a compressor or g-clamp to compress the slave cylinder back to the rest position. Make sure you have opened the bleed screw (and have a line running from the bleed screw to a container) otherwise you compressing the slave cylinder may cause seal damage.

Re-tension the bleed screw and make sure there are no leaks from the slave cylinder. Bleed the braking system and refit the wheel.

Don't depress the brakes when they are in this state again.
>>
File: 1443489181241.jpg (99KB, 655x653px) Image search: [Google]
1443489181241.jpg
99KB, 655x653px
>>15441105
you are retarded and my sides are gone
>plz don't be bait
>>
is it worth modifying your car? I have a new car that seems would be fun to modify (i.e. bolt ons and tune -- nothing major) but would probably only hurt the value
>>
I'm looking at an ’05 Mazda 3 with the 2.3 tomorrow. Anyone have experience with these cars? I've read they can develop an oil consumption issue but that's pretty much it.
>>
>>15441192
>Don't depress the brakes when they are in this state again.

Okay, so I managed to get it back in. Things seem like they are working.

Wrt not depressing the breaks without the drum, is that because that cylinder doesnt have any stops for the rod things that are pushing the break pads out?

Given that things seem to be okay now, how can I assess if I did any damage?

>>15441323
not bait, glad my stupidity is a source of entertainment
>>
I traded my 2014 Chevy Commodore for a 2016 Chevy Commodore so I could have three pedals instead of the autotragic. Net financial effect was starting over on payments.

In your opinion, was two years of lost payment history worth it?

I am a solid yes. The other midstream updates are nice, and I can see keeping this car a long time.
>>
>>15441648

You'll either bottom out the slave cylinder and damage the seals, or bottom out the master cylinder and damage the seals.

If the brakes are leak free, feel firm under the pedal and braking power is restored then chances are you have done no damage.
>>
>>15441671
would have been better to get a 2010-2014 manual car instead of a brand new one IMO. "net financial effect was starting over on payments". This means you lost two years worth of payments in two years? That's a pretty bad deal. Assuming you pay ~400/month, which is probably quite average, that's nearly $10000 lost in this "upgrade"
>>
>>15441746
Okay, thanks. I don't know how I can assess if I've damaged the seals with the master cylinder. When you say slave cylinder do you mean the cylinder pushing the brake pads?

So now I'm just going to take it to a mechanic and tell him what I did. And I'll tell him to replace the brake cylinder because the part cost isn't too high. I don't know how to bleed my brakes, so I'll tell him to do that as well.

And then I'll be back to square one. I fucked today up pretty badly.
>>
What's a good American equivalent to an Audi A4/BMW 3-series?

Chevy and Ford go from little hatch backs to muscle cars. Where are the quality sport/luxury sedans?
>>
>>15441829
Cadillac has some offerings in the 4 door sport/lux.
>>
My transmission in my truck slipped this morning, I was coming from a complete stop, I gave it gas and the rpms went up before the transmission caught. It doesnt do this when shifting gears and its happened twice now in the last month. Any ideas? Am I fucked?
>>
>>15441800

No you haven't. Chances are that you've done no damage. Don't replace the slave cylinder (acting on the brake pad) if it doesn't require it. Bleeding is extracting air from the braking system.

I'm at work on swing, but if this thread is still kicking on I'll try and help further.

Don't stress it if there are no leaks and the brakes are working effectively.
>>
Can I use flex seal to fix a leaking AC hose?
>>
>>15439811
does anyone else "work" on their cars even though nothing needs fixed? I've been doing this for stress relief for awhile now. Most recently I've organized my cluster fuck of a wiring harness and made a new mount for my battery.
>>
My car (2006 Corolla) has a recalled airbag in it. I've called a few stealerships to try to get them to fix it but they've all given me the runaround. I also don't really want to hand it over and be without a car for a month, and I don't want those assholes trying to scam me into a bunch of additional bullshit work.

What should I do?
>>
>>15442266
Thanks.

How would I verify that the slave cylinder is okay? I drove the car briefly after the fuck up and the brakes seemed okay. Not any mushier or weaker than usual. Tomorrow I can drive it around again, apply the brakes properly a few times and open the wheel to see if the cylinder has any leaks... should that be enough?

Also I need to take it in to a mechanic because of the noise issue I mentioned earlier regardless... should I tell him about what I did? If he's a good guy he'll probably just check to see if there's anything wrong, but if its a shady guy he might try to get me to replace everything.

I guess I'll make the call when it comes down to it. I have to drive the car pretty far in a couple of days, including on the highway so I want the brakes to be in good shape.
>>
>>15442561
If you tell the mechanic that you're a moron who doesn't know shit about working on cars he'll find a whole list of problems to fix.
>>
>>15442537
You should be able to call any Toyota dealerships and have them take in the car for recall work. They can get into a fuckload of trouble if they don't deal with recall notices, especially something as serious as an airbag issue.

Just call, ask for parts and service and tell them straight up you have a recall notice and you'd like to schedule an appointment. I'm really surprised they're trying to dodge the work -- if you really can't get anywhere, call a Toyota head office or something and escalate this. Its serious shit m8.
>>
>>15442561

Just say that you removed the wheel and drum to inspect the shoes but couldn't find the source of your noise. What's concerning is that you've said brake fluid was already expelled when you depressed the brake pedal - that had to have come from somewhere. Best case the seal was displaced on the slave cylinder at the end of it's travel and there is nothing further of concern. Worst case is the seal is compromised and it either needs repair or the slave cylinder replaced.

What sort of noise are the brakes making?
>>
>>15442704
>Worst case is the seal is compromised and it either needs repair or the slave cylinder replaced.
Yeah, this is my concern, and why I'm debating letting the mechanic know depending on whether I think they are trustworthy. Wish I had a mechanic I could legit trust; I wouldn't have bothered inspecting it myself at all if I did.

>What sort of noise are the brakes making?
Its hard to describe the sound. Its not a grinding or a scraping noise. Its more like a mix of a creaking and thudding sound like when you're walking on old wood flooring.

But it only happens when I apply the breaks when driving and the noise is related to the wheels spinning -- the creak sound happens when the wheels turn so its rapid at first, then slows down as the car slows to a stop.

There's no excessive vibration or really anything else to note when I'm just driving normally without hitting the brakes.
>>
File: b_094846_1_.jpg (129KB, 799x533px) Image search: [Google]
b_094846_1_.jpg
129KB, 799x533px
What happened to the Aussie threads? Were they banned?
>>
>>15442774
dirty hooner detected
>>
>>15442345
rubber hose?
no.
>>
>>15442759

The creak or squeal is most likely the shoe surface becoming glazed. May not be much of an issue.

The thudding sounds more like a drum slightly out of the round. If it is a 'pulsing' sound that increases with speed and decreases rate with deceleration, perhaps accompanied by a slight pulsing feel through the brake pedal, then it's very likely this is the cause.

Hop into your car and fire up the engine to get sufficient vacuum assistance for the brakes. Slowly (SLOWLY) depress the pedal to the floor, then let it return. Hop out and inspect the area around the slave cylinder in question for leaks. Do this a number of times.

If you can put the system under pressure a number of times without a leak, it's very likely that you require no further action.

It's all good man, even with a good mechanic you should do exactly what you have done and familiarise yourself with the systems that make up your car. And you've learnt some good skills from this episode. Bet you won't depress the brake pedal with the drum removed again!
>>
Questions about manual trannys

>is it normal to feel the whirring of the clutch and flywheel through the clutch pedal?
>is it normal that the shifter gets stuck when going to first rarely and I have to declutch in neutral to get it to work?
>is there transmission fluid and do I have to change it?
>is it normal for the car to shake when shifting from first to second?
>>
>>15442825
often yes
no
yes, every 5 years or so, in my experience, though they can go for much longer
lol no
>>
>>15442825

Without an accumulator yes, it is normal to feel the feedback from the throwout bearing.

It can be normal to not be able to access first when moving. First is usually a non-synchonised gear.

There is a lubricating gear oil. Pop open the filler plug and sound the transmission. If there is sufficient oil and it is still a honey-brown colour then all should be well. If it is a dark colour with an acrid burnt smell, replace. If if it over five years like old mate suggested, replace.

Does the car shake, or is there a 'juddering' sound from the flywheel?
>>
>>15442805
Alright. I really appreciate the help and advice, thanks dude.
>>
>>15442825
With my car you can't shift into first unless you're going slow enough. I don't know why but but the 'getting stuck' thing sounds like no synchro. That happens to me when I reverse, I often need to declutch in neutral before it lets me pop it in
>>
>>15442861
>no
Shit. It only happens when I'm "putting it in park" to be honest, which is uphill.
>yes, every 5 years or so, in my experience, though they can go for much longer
Well I have no idea when it was last done and this is a 13 year old car so I should probably check that.
>lol no
Double shit. If I give it any more RPMs than 2000 when in first and push the clutch in the whole car will buck once or twice like it's struggling.

>>15442880
>There is a lubricating gear oil. Pop open the filler plug and sound the transmission. If there is sufficient oil and it is still a honey-brown colour then all should be well. If it is a dark colour with an acrid burnt smell, replace.
I'll have that checked out soon then.
>Does the car shake
Very much so. I clutch in and the whole car practically rocks onto the front wheels and then rocks back a bit.

>>15442894
Yea if I'm going at like 5mph I can shift into first but otherwise I'll go to second and give it a touch of gas and slowly declutch.
>>
Why do my gear synchros wear out so quickly? I'm only 3,000 miles in, and the shifting already feels rougher.
>>
File: Untitled.png (430KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
430KB, 1440x810px
eBay lowering springs

should I get them or no? what are good brands
>>
>>15442891

Too easy man!
>>
>>15442909

Sounds like you have a snapped or otherwise deformed spring pack or snapped a weight in your friction plate. Unfortunately that's like a box-off job man. Hopefully I'm wrong, but that's certainly sounding like it. Is it any better slowly declutching?
>>
>>15443257

There's other possible reasons your shifting has become noticeably rougher. I'd first be looking at the master cylinder pushrod length to make sure the clutch is being fully released. If the pressure plate and friction plate or friction plate and flywheel are still connected even slightly, it will usually present itself as a crunch or feeling unusually notchy when selecting gear.
>>
File: Mazda-3-2017-1280-05.jpg (279KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Mazda-3-2017-1280-05.jpg
279KB, 1280x960px
>>15439811
Tell me why I shouldn't get a Mazda 3 hatch.

>looks like batmobile omg
>>
Are cars for the Canadian market differently spec'd?

Like some say US version Lexus IS and I get confused there. So that means, Canada gets the Asian/European spec car?
>>
>>15445209
Yes it's specd differently but, it's specd for the Canadian market,
>>
Will Cutlass Ciera and Buick Century doors fit on a Pontiac 6000?
>>
Are B5/6 quattro Audis with 1.8T reliable? Or can you give me an alternative turbocharged RWD/AWD on continental European market for the same money?
>>
>>15439843
Put it on jack stands and grab hold of your wheel in question
Rock it back and forth with quite a bit of force and see if there's any play
This would rule out some bushings being worn or wheel bearing needing replacement
>>
>>15443424
don't cheap out on parts that could easily fail when going over a pothole
>>
File: steel tray.jpg (43KB, 677x381px) Image search: [Google]
steel tray.jpg
43KB, 677x381px
Any way I can get one of those Toyota steel 'workmate' beds in the USA for a '92? I fell in love with the side folding beds from the Sambar and want one for my truck.
>>
Whats a fair price to get coilovers installed? All the shops around here want like 500 which is almost as much as the coils themselves. They also claim it will take 5-6 hours to do which seems like complete bullshit especially when you have really high end tools to use.
>>
>>15445778
those look aluminum
>>
>>15445927
doing it right, and setup, absolutely.
>>
>>15445933
Some are steel, some are aluminum.
I love that the walls and gate fold down so it's easy to put things in all around or if lifted a little could make an okay light use workbench.
>>
>>15441829
Buick Regal GS, Taurus SHO, Dodge Charger SRT? American makers don't have much in the way of sport/luxury
>>
>>15445948
that is nice. hope you get one soon
>>
File: GM-Torque-8-Cyl-2-column.png (838KB, 893x4121px) Image search: [Google]
GM-Torque-8-Cyl-2-column.png
838KB, 893x4121px
Not a question, but doesn't deserve it's own thread.
>>
>>15443955
they are very slow with an outdated engine
>>
>>15442075
Badump
>>
>>15440070
Anyone else?

Which power adder gets the most net hp out of a given bottom end, and which is most fuel efficient during cruise?
>>
File: whatcaristhiso.jpg (523KB, 1343x672px) Image search: [Google]
whatcaristhiso.jpg
523KB, 1343x672px
Does anyone know what car this is?

>screencap is from stranger things
>>
>>15446568
~70's Ford Pinto
>>
>>15446587
thank you friend
>>
So /O/. I went to change my rear brake pads and my caliper is seized something fierce. I can't get another caliper until Wednesday, so here's my question.

How retarded would it be to put a bolt and nut through the banjo fitting so it can't leak, and drive with one non-functional brake.
>>
I haven't really done any car work myself, do I have a shot at installing a cold air intake in my Civic Si or will I get stuck and have to get it towed to a mechanic and tell them I'm a retarded fag
>>
>>15443664
Went to bed and went to work, just got back to this thread

>Unfortunately that's like a box-off job man.
Fuck me sideways
>Hopefully I'm wrong, but that's certainly sounding like it. Is it any better slowly declutching?
Yea a lot better. It basically goes like this

>go into first gear
>acceleration peaks at about 10mph or ~2000 RPM
>clutch in
>car rocks onto front wheels
>shift into second
>declutch and gas
>shake like if I made a bad start from stop
>>
what car is in this video?

https://vid.me/VYgZ
>>
How do you "launch" with a manual?
>>
>>15446889
>clutch in
>rev high
>move foot to the left so clutch jumps up
>>
Probably a really stupid question but i'm looking to buy my first car. Would the engine on a Ford Fiesta 1.4 ZETEC TDCI (2010) with 100,000 miles generally speaking going to be ok for say another 5 or so years of casual use? Im estimating i'll do less than 4000 miles a year.

I know each car is different but most would be fine with this milage?
>>
>>15446914
Anything under 150k miles should be fine. If it isn't, there's something seriously wrong.
>>
>>15446920
Ok thanks.
>>
>>15446775
Just figured I'd update and say I plugged it. I got a bolt, two washers, a nut, and some sealant to put on the threads and washers. I had someone push the brake pedal as I cranked the nut and bolt tight.

I just pushed the fuck out of the brake pedal and no leaks, I drove around slowly and made sure everything worked. I think itll be good until Wednesday.
>>
File: 20160715_185754.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160715_185754.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Been thinking of putting glass packs on my car just for the hell of it. Would it be too much of a hassle to try to put them on/have them put on? Guy before me put a magnaflow dual exhaust on the car, now theres like 1.5-2 feet of straight pipe to work with
>>
Recently there was a thread where the OP image was like a 1939 car survey thing? It had like 20+ cars all facing towards the bottom left, kind of like an isometric thing. Anyone have the image if you even know what I'm talking about?
>>
Is a motorcycle helmet something I can just order or should I go to a shop or something to test fit and sizing?
>>
>>15447477
>>
File: IMG_20160617_172953.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160617_172953.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
Can anyone help me figure out why my car wont start? Have fuel but no spark, brand new dizzy, new cap, new plug wires, new plugs, new battery, new alt, new starter, got a flashing CEL when key is on, engine cranks and has fuel, all fuses are good, has compression in all cylinders, car is an 88 civic dx. Still dpfi, still obd0, thanks in advance
>>
>>15441354
What car
>>
>>15447496
maybe fuel pump?
I saw a video where a guy thought his fuel pump might not be good because the car wouldn't start so he tested it by using starter fluid. The car started when he sprayed that shit, so he determined it was the pump that wasn't working. Try that I guess
>>
Why the fuck is it that whenever I go to an auto parts store looking for something for my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee, they give me the wrong thing?
>>
Both the tweeter and woofer on the front left side of my Mazda 6 2008 are really really quiet. Probably wiring?
>>
hey guys I want to put a touchscreen stereo in my 1997 geo metro, I've found the double-din ones that are compatible with my vehicle but I was curious if there's anything else it would require such as more electrical power since it's an older car or if everything will be fine. thank you.
>>
Have you tried the coils?
>>
>>15447759
I have fuel, also tested with starter fluid
>>
>>15439843
thats the exact symptom of a warped disk, but since pads are cheap and easy, I'd replace them first, probably got to do it anyway.
If it is a warped disc (rotor), its probably only one. You should be able to tell by spinning the wheels, one by one, with tire removed to see which one rubs. When you find it, remove rotor and check for visible warpage or use straight edge. if it seems straight, switch rotor with the opposite wheel to see if the problem switched sides. If it stays on the same wheel with a different disc, then you probably gotta replace that wheel bearing, which you probably wanna have someone do, cause its a bitch.

(also bear in mind that some brake pads are designed to rumble when ceramics are worn to act as an indicator that you need to change pads)
>>
>>15448201
cont'd... ok if its like that video its not just the pads... do that other shit. or at least try to identify the exact wheel so they cant screw you by replacing all your rotors and maybe calipers for no good reason
>>
>>15442075
check tranny fluid level... maybe change tranny fluid. if that doesn't help... yeah, you may be fucked
>>
>>15447496
you sure about fuel?
best bet would be to check CEL code.
have you absolutly verified no spark (e.g. - screw driver test a plug while someone cranks?)
... first thought would be cranshaft sensor if you have in fact correctly replaced all that other stuff
>>
>>15439811
I dropped my dirt bike in a river while out riding. I tried to wave down a guy in a mini for help but the douchenozzle just fucking drove off. Is there any quick way to get it running again until I get to my destination?
>>
>>15448235
Tried that, thats how ive verified i have no spark, 460% sure about fuel, had a fuel leak going into intake manifold and i fixed that
>>
>>15448298
in that case.... pull the code. your computer knows better than i. If you haven't done this before, its actually kind of fun... find OBD connector... bridge gap... blinking CEL will tell you the code. long blink+ 10, short blink = 1. that shits on youtube too.
>>
>>15448338
Thanks bro ill check it out tomorrow
>>
File: 0715162350_HDR~01.jpg (149KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
0715162350_HDR~01.jpg
149KB, 1024x576px
Rip rear tire
What should I get to replace this? I'm assuming I can just get a pair for the rear instead of replacing all 4, but the p/o treated them like shit and there's curb rash or whatever on all of them.
P235/70R16
>>
File: 1a8f38cs-960.jpg (220KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1a8f38cs-960.jpg
220KB, 960x540px
Looking to get pic related with a V6 as my first own car.
Opinions?
>>
>>15448760
Toyo Proxes ST

>>15448781
supposed to be hard work owning one
>>
my shocks (and swaybar, bushings, suspension links, control arms, joint boot, bearing) is bad, is it worth going to coilovers, does it handle better than just aftermarket shocks. I'm not lowering it its a 2005 outback wagon
>>
>>15448246
We'll be sending help right away. Expect our helicopter to reach your site within 10-15 mins.
>>
File: c9AZbe9.png (811KB, 997x534px) Image search: [Google]
c9AZbe9.png
811KB, 997x534px
what car is this?

apparently seen in the phillipines
>>
>>15448810
>Toyo Proxes ST
Thanks
Is it safe to just replace the rear 2? A full is going to cost me a fuckton. It's a jeep w/4wd, so I'm not sure if having mismatched tires is going to fuck up anything.
>>
https://youtu.be/gDuDtEp0RSY?t=4m6s
How do you drift like in this video actually? I mean, can those cars be stock and go like that? What kind of diffs can those be (stock/non-; open/closed/LSD/somethingsomething)?
>>
>>15450254
Toyota WiLL
>>
Is it true that cars with ABS can't brake while they're turned off?
>>
>>15450254
Mazda Carol
>>
Is this where the "Fiero with a bodykit" meme came from?
https://youtu.be/CtK5QrMKwIg?t=8m34s
>>
I was putting a new A/C on my 99 CR-V earlier, now it won't start.

I disconnected a ground wire from the chassis to the engine block because it was in the way, took the P/S belt off, slipped the new A/C belt on, and started the car to see if the belt was on properly. Car wouldn't start because I forgot the ground wire. So i reconnect the ground wire, then start the car, but it dies within a few seconds of being turned on. My belt squealed during those few seconds, so I tightened it up, put the P/S belt back on, and now the car won't start at all.

What did I fuck up? Starter? I'm pretty confounded atm, have no fucking clue what to do.
>>
File: DSC00923 resize.jpg (4MB, 3054x2074px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00923 resize.jpg
4MB, 3054x2074px
Where is a good place to get my hood wrapped in Vancouver BC? PO painted the hood matte black and it's bugging me so much. (Not plastidipped, just don't like matte black)
Also, what would be a better colour for the hood? The rest of the car is purple
>>
>>15447105
Anyone?
>>
>>15449063
WTF lol
>>
>>15441648
>>15442891
>>15441800
>I don't know how I can assess if I've damaged the seals with the master cylinder.

In all the excitement, recheck to make sure no brake fluid got on your car paint. Since a day has gone by, I guess it's a bit late now.
>>
>>15446775
>How retarded would it be to put a bolt and nut through the banjo fitting so it can't leak, and drive with one non-functional brake.
>>15446972
>I just pushed the fuck out of the brake pedal and no leaks, I drove around slowly and made sure everything worked. I think itll be good until Wednesday.

It's good that you aren't in the future as the owner of a robot self-driving car. While you drive it manually, because it has all that monitoring and sensor gear, it will "phone home" that one of the brakes is out but you continued to keep driving it around. Your insurance company would see the data and be upset, probably raising your rates too.
>>
>>15452298
Chances are I wouldnt be working on my brand new fancy auto driving car. I tend to nigger rig shit quite a bit, although it usually isn't anything quite as important as brakes.
>>
>>15446839

Bump for this
>>
>>15446839
>>15452562
Looks like a fifth gen Mustang judging from the gauge cluster. Seems like the speedo and tachs positions are switched, although that may be because it's a European model? The speedo reads in km/h.
>>
File: 1467423087304.jpg (224KB, 1600x1015px) Image search: [Google]
1467423087304.jpg
224KB, 1600x1015px
I've been looking into getting a truck, I have two options I was looking at.

>GMC Sierra 1500 Texas Edition (SLE w/SLT exterior package)
>GMC Canyon SLE V6

Both are dirt cheap, getting quotes are $27k, which is in fleet model territory. I wanted a modern truck that I could daily and still enjoy. With my fucked-up back/butt I can't get into cars very well, and I don't want a crossover.

The Sierra has significantly worse gas, and the Canyon is pretty peppy with the V6 LFX engine from the Camaro in it. The Canyon is also a Holden/Isuzu design which is another bonus.
>>
hey guys. i have never posted here. I am getting my first car and I have picked a '88 325i from a friend. 2 grand, 160k miles, new timing belt/water pump/radiator at 100k. New top was installed last fall. the bad: cosmetic shit, no ac
>>
>>15452679

That was my first thought but I compared it and its slightly off
>>
>>15452767
fuck forgot the question: anything i should look for in the future with this car?
>>
>>15452772
Most everything that could go wrong, has been replaced, the only things to look out for are suspension, and frame bushings.
>>
File: 1468629492151.jpg (22KB, 600x675px) Image search: [Google]
1468629492151.jpg
22KB, 600x675px
Installing an aftermarket head unit in a car that has the OEM amplifier for the radio in the fucking trunk.
I'm trying to bypass/remove the OEM amp and use the one built into the headunit because the OEM one is dead.
I want to know if its OK to wire up the headunit with its amplified output to the original pre-amp wiring for the radio but then also splice the input and output for the OEM amp together so I can get rid of the amp.
My concern is that the gauge of the pre-amp wiring is too small to safely handle the current of the amplified output, it would be hell to run new speaker wire to the rear where the OEM amp output to the speakers is so I want to splice together the existing wiring. The OEM pre-amp wire is 18 gauge from what I can tell, it is the same size as the wire harness on the aftermarket head unit so this makes me think it will be OK but I'm still not sure.
Also from what I could figure out there is no negative wire for each speaker that goes to the head unit, instead it seems it shares a common ground which goes to the OEM amplifier which is a "signal ground".
What I did was wire up all the negative speaker leads from the head unit harness to the SGND which is a bigger gauge wire (probably 16), I'm not sure this will work and wanted to know about this too.
>>
Anyone else got a Cobb AccessPort? What stat should I be tracking that gives me a good idea of fuel quality?

On a '14 Focus ST if it makes a different.
>>
>>15453289
Wait, nevermind, I just found the answer to my own question.

Octane Adjust Rating, at least in my car should be as close to -1.0 as possible
>>
File: 1468714081958.gif (650KB, 598x444px) Image search: [Google]
1468714081958.gif
650KB, 598x444px
Going to court for a speeding ticket on Thursday, any advice?
>>
>>15453259
>>15453331
pls takumi help
how fast and in what zone?
>>
>>15453358
Written up for 10 over in a 30 but he said I was going 19 over when he stopped me (which I find hard to believe).
>>
File: wat.jpg (105KB, 726x458px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
105KB, 726x458px
I bought a new car a couple of weeks ago.
What is this thing on the roof?
It doesn't appear to do anything when the alarms on. Not sure what it is...
>>
>>15453885
Not roof... Front windscreen.
>>
>>15453331
Change the date, some officers can't be assed to show up for one person.
>>
>>15453885
It's for toll collection.
https://www.toyotarentacar.net/english/guide/option/etc/
I just googled "ETC in car" so that's how you can find out more about it, unless you open "electronic throttle control" on wikipedia lol.
>>
>>15452708
Pls halp
>>
>>15452708
>>15454400
I would get the Canyon, unless you have a specific need that would call for the Sierra. The better gas mileage would definitely be a plus. If you are me and thinking about getting a vehicle, the gas mileage doesn't play a huge part, but it certainly does after your get it.

I don't really know anything about either vehicles, I'm only judging based on what you said. But the newer Canyon looks nice as hell, I'd definitely get a newer diesel model if I could afford it.
>>
File: image.jpg (106KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 736x414px
I just bought a new subaru impreza because i need something reliable and awd... Am i going to be okay?
>>
>>15454483
Have you read the manual? Have you saved enough to maintain it without a shortest delay or buyin non OEM parts?

Answered yes, you can cruise control for a trouble free car ownership.
>>
File: image.jpg (180KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
180KB, 640x640px
>>15454400
I would get a Colorado or Canyon 4x4 unless the sierra is easier on your back or youre yanking something heavy. Theyre both pretty sweet trucks. Personally a Colorado/Canyon would be at the top of my list if I could afford it. From your post it sounds like youre leaning towards the canyon just get it dude. They're awesome.
>>
>>15439811
My MG ZS (Rover 45) is overheating like mad, huge clouds of steam out the puke tank bad.

There's also a ton of oil froth in the tank, but it's been there for a long ass time (several months in fact) and it's only started overheating yesterday.

Google says air in the coolant system, but how would I fix that? Something about "burping" the system?
>>
File: 1458940763338.jpg (87KB, 697x833px) Image search: [Google]
1458940763338.jpg
87KB, 697x833px
I want a dashcam front and back so I don't have to put up with whoeverthefuck runs me over's fakeass story.

What's the best price/performance camera I can get?
>>
>>15455610

https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/a118-tiesfong-b40/#wtb
>>
>>15441105
Remove upper spring to relieve pressure on the piston. Open brake bleeder valve. Remove extended piston and make sure piston cup (little rubber part) is seated correctly. Reinstall piston and press all the way into cylinder. Reinstall spring. Reinstall drum. Bleed brakes.

Never push brake pedal again while drums or calipers are off.
>>
File: 4xJH4ui.jpg (26KB, 599x400px) Image search: [Google]
4xJH4ui.jpg
26KB, 599x400px
Can a light that is turned off, and is actually visibly not lit be causing a parasitic drain?
>>
>>15439811
why arent there any hybrid compact trucks yet?

also: what the fuck happened to compact trucks? i drive a 93 nissan d21 that i love and love the look of but the modern tacoma looks like a bitchass babby wannabe dodge or some junk. what gives?
>>
File: 2Q==.jpg (18KB, 616x197px) Image search: [Google]
2Q==.jpg
18KB, 616x197px
Putting this here instead. I just bought a 95 Thunderbird and the trip seems to work spontaneously, the speedo is fine though. Anyone know what the problem could be?
>>
>>15455973
depends, if the light circuit is controlled through a body ecu or similar there could be a problem inside the ecu causing the drain. however if its just a regular circuit that open no.
>>
Will driving my protege with no rear sway bar cause any damage? I had a broken link when I replace my struts so I just removed it. Will it pass inspection?
>>
Uses of buying supercars?
>>
>>15456152
Nope, won't hurt anything. Most vehicles had a rear sway bar as an option a few years ago.
>>
why do people cover their license plates in their ads?
>>
>>15451846
A black hood on a purple car is God tier imo
>>
>>15456203
Thanks. I was worried it might put stress on the struts or something.
>>
>>15456286
At most you'll experience morr body roll when turning.
>>
>>15456139
Probably a plastic gear - if I remember right, that gen Thunderbird was famous for odo/trip issues
>>
>>15456222
They like to think that they're pos car will somehow lead to people wanting to discern their identity by using their license number.
>>
>>15456335
fucking hell, $50 for new gears.
>>
>>15456352
>in an ad with their address and phone included
>>
File: IMG_20160709_155753.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160709_155753.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I think one or two of my tires are having a slow leak, is there anything I can do other than just buy new tires? They are pretty old because I just bought the car a few months ago used.

pic related, you can see the cracks.
>>
>>15445366
?
>>
>>15450937
bump
>>
>>15450937
>How do you drift like in this video actually?
lots of practice
>I mean, can those cars be stock and go like that?
do they look stock?
>What kind of diffs can those be (stock/non-; open/closed/LSD/somethingsomething)?
no idea, either a spool or a clutch type LSD
>>
File: 1458250387198.jpg (132KB, 1000x669px) Image search: [Google]
1458250387198.jpg
132KB, 1000x669px
>less than 20 years old
>more than 4 cylinders
>rwd or awd but no front mounted transverse mounted engines
>naturally aspirated preferred
>independent rear suspension
>manual available
>not a fucking bmw
>under $15k
I know the Lexus IS300 and late SN95 Cobra's but am I missing anything?
>>
>>15457180
Thanks for the reply.
>do they look stock?
At least a part of them do. I haven't driven a single RWD car to judge how easy does it spin (and maintain that) its back.
>>
I have another question about my protege. I have the 02 sedan. If I was to buy the hatchback of the same year, how many parts would be interchangeable between the two? Obviously not some of the body panels but how about suspension and brake components?
>>
File: 1461286481902.png (140KB, 413x387px) Image search: [Google]
1461286481902.png
140KB, 413x387px
How do i go about replacing an air conditioner

the car has a history of eating money for airconditioners so i dont want to fix i want to replace

how can i do it myself
>>
>>15456179
to get prime man pussy
because only men care about that
plus ultimate hooning
>>
>>15457350
chrisfix has a few videos, should get you started at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulXlnG2Unk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdq8JAlct6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHg2xRMnM38
>>
>>15457386
thanx famborgini
>>
>>15447496
Grounds, dude. Chek em. At the starter, thermostat housing,... I see you are missing the one from valve cover to front bulkhead.

Also, don't assume the brand new dizzy is a good one. Do you have the old one? If so, maybe try the ignition coil and ignitor in the new one.

>dpfi for lyfe, bruh
>>
>>15457485
>>15447496

Also, checking the code, you just set the ignition to run, look at the ECU and count the LED blinks. No jumping any connectors - that is for later years.

flashing CEL in the instrument cluster is really weird - you may have a bad ECU. It should either be on or off.... on for two seconds after setting ignition switch to run.

You should also check fuses.
>>
File: IMG_20160717_180724.jpg (1MB, 1864x2198px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160717_180724.jpg
1MB, 1864x2198px
am i reading this wrong or is this oil filter 12 years old? (1404, 14th week '04?) I don't know how to read these filters date code.
>>
>>15457485
>try the ignition coil and ignitor in the new one

what I meant was try swapping a known good coil and/or ignitor into your new dizzy... or swap in a known good dizzy. My bet is on ignition coil, tho.
>>
I just bought a 2000 Focus and the motor mounts need to be replaced, but I currently don't have the money to fix them. Would it be bad for me to drive for a month with broken motor mounts?
>>
>>15457738
broken-broken or just worn?
>>
>>15457814
I believe they're worn, but it's really annoying to drive because the engine rattles pretty loud.
>>
1. i'm comparing prices at different shops. one shop offers much cheaper prices on a radiator flush and spark plug replacement, but it looks like crap, located on a dirt road, dirty parts strewn around, etc. i'll be supplying all oem parts and fluids. am i taking a huge risk having this shop do these specific repairs? my car is a 2002 sentra w/ the 1.8 liter

2. i'm gonna be visiting distant family in the uk shortly. i'm afraid as i drive around i'll just forget i'm supposed to be on the left side of the road and get in a wreck. is this a legitimate concern?
>>
Is 80-90k too many miles to buy a C6 Corvette? From what I've read they're bulletproof and last forever but still.
>>
Hey guys I'm buying my first car.
It's listed for $1000 but I really want to make sure it lasts. My mechanical knowledge is limited to what I learned fixing a lawnmower from youtube. I've read every buyers guide for this specific model and watched the youtube videos on what to check when buying a used car.

My question is: Should I spend $100 and take it to a mechanic to have it inspected and then try to talk the dealer down to $900? Or just trust what I've learned and look it over myself.
>>
>>15458300
Forgot to mention that the car has been on their lot since october so I believe they'll be willing to go down to $900.
>>
I'm nearly 30 and I don't have a driver's license.

How fucked am I if I try to start driving now?
>>
Is there a book or something I can read to understand the basics of how to look after a car?

e.g. oil changes, jumpstarting, keeping it in good condition, how the car works
>>
>>15458578
owners maual
>>
>>15458578
owner manual ( not even kidding )
chilton/haynes books
>>
File: 329-Discovery1-steering.jpg (127KB, 700x597px) Image search: [Google]
329-Discovery1-steering.jpg
127KB, 700x597px
>>15439811
Can I bend my Drag Link Tube back into place?
It's part no. 21
>>
File: quadrupledoubletruck.jpg (40KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
quadrupledoubletruck.jpg
40KB, 600x401px
>>15456909
they don't look terrible, I suggest (You) actually measure and record how much they lose and when; if you hoon or drive long distances tires will lose a few psi
>if you're losing more than 5 psi a week just DDing it's probably punctured, get a patch for $20
>also look at the date code and make sure they're less than 7 years old

>>15457611
no,you're reading it backwards since it yuropeen; it was manufactured in April '14
>source: bought some last year to stock up in November, all made in April '15

>>15457854
>should bubba touch my sentra?
Don't trust dirty shops, and if you have to supply the parts you should just go the extra step and supply the labor too
>buying tools will be half the cost of hiring bubba
>DIY labor will only take slightly longer than driving your car there and picking it up (~1hr)

>wrong side driving wat do?
the wheel is on the other side too br/o/, unless you're a middle aged woman you'll adjust

>>15458300
>>15458337
>buying a $1k car
>from a lot
no.
>vin check it, i 90% guarantee it's on a salvage title
>no salvage title? still not in the clear
>take it to an old mechanic who wants a laugh
>or if you can, to a bodyshop
>tell them to inspect the frame
if you can fix a mower i believe in your mechanic skills, but it's really hard to spot body and frame damage without a lift, take it to a professional
>if there's frame damage walk away
>bonus: info to leverage against seller if other problems found
>>
File: volvorampage.gif (3MB, 444x436px) Image search: [Google]
volvorampage.gif
3MB, 444x436px
>>15458545
>how fucked?
>very fucked
woman/yuropeen detected

srsly tho, teens can do it so it can't be that hard
>and on that day, a normie driver who never used turn signals, didn't know how to parallel park, couldn't countersteer, and had no knowledge of heel-toe was born
>>
>>15457880
Also this guy here again, if anybody's owned one I have two more questions
1. How are the seats? I keep hearing answers ranging from great to terrible; I can tolerate a shitty interior but not bad seats
2. If manual, do the revs take forever to fall when you press the clutch in? My current car has this issue and it annoys the fuck out of me.
>>
>>15458771
not comfy for amerifats or tall people
>>
>>15458578
You've been told already:
>>15458586
>>15458590
There are infos about changing intervals for components. Pairing it with that Haynes manual for example lets you feel why, when and how to do things.
>>
>>15457183
Good luck finding an IS300 manual.
>>
>>15456371
Yeah, else check junkyards near you... If you're gonna put that money out, check to be sure that's the problem first, imo
>>
>>15459310
>two on Craigslist
>one is a completed turbo project with the CEL on
>the other is salvage titled
JUST
>>
What could be the optimal roller weight for a 50cc CVT?

Especially for my 265lbs fatass.
>>
Looking for an 06 Silverado z71. What's considered too high mileage for a purchase ?
>>
>>15458825
Do you mean that as in actually fat? I'm on the low side of average weight and not exactly tall so those aren't issues.
>>
Why do poorfags keep trying to hype up old civics? Those of us who graduated high school want nothing to do with the car.
>>
>>15459386
>GM
>06
The company was bailed out for a reason. They don't make quality vehicles.

Just find something else.
>>
I've got 4k. Need something reliable and able to get around in snow
>>
Working on my vehicle and everything was going good until I tried removing the lower control arm.

The first bolt came out with ease. Unfortunately, over the past couple days I've been fighting one bolt. The but came off fairly easily.. However the bolt is just spinning inside the bushing.

What do? Should I borrow a sawzaw and cut it? I'm running out of time and I need to get it done here soon.

>pic semi related
>>
>>15458722
Most normal drivers who have driven since they were 16 don't know how to countersteer or heel-toe.
>>
>>15459636
Should've included everything I've tried.

>PB Blaster over the course of a week; have been spraying before starting the front end rebuild
>Mapp gas to the LCA bushing it's spinning in
>3lb sledge
>Impact
>More pb blaster
>8" c clamp
>Lots of hammering to the entire joint
>More hammering and heat
>Impact while hammering
>Impact while hammering and spraying pb

I'm half tempted to see if a bottle jack will clear the axle tube and place it against the other side of the LCA. However a straight shot might line me up against the subframe tabs which I'm not willing to use as a brace.
>>
>>15446785
something as simple as an intake install should take you an hour, tops.

DONT FORGET YOUR AIRFLOW SENSOR

follow the instructions and you'll be fine senpai
>>
My girlfriend is looking at buying a 2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD. Is there anything I should know about them?
>>
>>15460313
yeah your girlfriend chose a shit car
>>
>>15460405
What makes it a shit car?
>>
>>15460413
It's a boat, and it chews through gas. ugly to boot. why does she want something that big?
>>
>>15460455
It's a wagon. A Taurus lifted slightly and made into a wagon with AWD. It's not huge.

She was looking at an Explorer earlier. She wants something she can safely haul children in, AWD or 4WD, less than $5,000, and will be decently reliable.
>>
File: Not my car just similar model.jpg (7KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
Not my car just similar model.jpg
7KB, 300x168px
I have a 1.8 corrola exclusive 2007 model and yesterday it started making a strange clicking noise in the engine. So I tried to see what the problem is and as soon as I got out of the car I got a strong smell of oil. Closest I could get to on Google was that it was my water pump. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
Hit a wallaby and busted one of my fog lights. I never use them though, is there any point getting it fixed? I don't have a lot of money to spend at the moment.
>>
>>15460492
So get a subaru forester or an outback
>>
>>15460655
>a Forester or Outback is a better option because I said so
That anon would do well ignoring you.
>>
File: fog light.jpg (43KB, 344x356px) Image search: [Google]
fog light.jpg
43KB, 344x356px
One of my fog lights had a leak and it got really rusty. I sanded the inside because the reflective paint was crumbling and peeling away.

My question is: what paint do I use to restore it? I have some silver paint, but it looks nothing like the reflective paint that was on it originally.
>>
>>15460740
That silver is a electro dipped finish. Basically, it'd be cheaper for you to buy a new reflector housing than it would be to have someone refinish yours.
>>
>>15460785
Fugg.
Would chrome paint look very bad?
>>
>>15460667
>implying a shitty ford mom car is any better
>>
>>15460797
Yes. It'll be uneven and wont have the reflective properties the metallic plating originally on your housing has.
Good condition second hand units on eBay would e the cheapest option.
>>
lel
>>
>>15460887
First of all, that's not what I'm implying at all.
Second of all, a crappy lifted and extended Impreza is no better.
>>
does anyone know about using paint stripper for painting?

i've used some paint stripper (ethylene glycol based) to strip the paint off, and it strips the main paint off but leaves the primer on. is this normal, or should it also take the primer off too? i've googled and people have said similar with it taking the paint off, but primer remaining and they just sand that down like usual till bare metal (or even paint over with the original primer).
>>
>>15457839
get rid of that car right now. give it to somebody you hate. had one and the no. 2 and no.4 valve just decided to jump into the cylinder while I was driving it. apparently its pretty common of the 2.0 L
>>
File: Honda-Ridgeline-2017-1280-26.jpg (203KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Honda-Ridgeline-2017-1280-26.jpg
203KB, 1280x960px
>>15456109
>why arent there any hybrid compact trucks yet?
There's probably a Hybrid Ridgeline coming.
>>
>>15460797
you can get home electroplating kits
it's quite addictive, and chances are soon everything will be shiny and chrome
>>
>>15460948
if you want it all off use some shit called aircraft remover. thatll take anything down to the metal
>>
>>15460948
you don't need to go to bare metal unless you're planning on welding or have bad autism
>>
>>15460972
this
>>
>>15456109
>i drive a 93 nissan d21 that i love and love the look of but the modern tacoma looks like a bitchass babby wannabe dodge or some junk. what gives?
>what the fuck happened to compact trucks?
They moved on with the times. Like almost every single other car from 20 years ago.
>>
File: DSC00888 plateless copy 2.jpg (3MB, 2478x1659px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00888 plateless copy 2.jpg
3MB, 2478x1659px
>>15456276
Really?
>>
>>15439811
Eyeing a repo. If it checks out fine mechanically (it had an accident, looks very minor from pics) I might get it. Anything to worry about with repossessed cars?
>>
I need a cheap car that can drive acroos the state once a week for about three months.

Any ideas.
>>
>>15456909
I'll bet 5 bucks those are Michelin defenders

When you go get a tire repair ask them if the rim is corroded where the bead if the tire contacts the rim. Of so they need to grind it off some way then use a liquid rubber called bead sealer which goes on the rim to help promote better adhesion to the tire as well as prevent more of the rim corroding
>>
File: 1447216414063.gif (719KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1447216414063.gif
719KB, 500x384px
which oil filter is best oil filter?
>>
>>15439811
Why does o call cars like:
AW11 / SW20
NA's
AE86
Shit boxes, i think they are extremely respectable cars most being FRs two seaters and extremely fun to drive.
>>
>>15463795
A shitbox is any easily and cheaply acquired car.
>>
>>15460527
Could cause an electrical short.
>>
>>15460492
Shell probably never be in a circumstance where awd will give her any benefit over good driving and Good tires.

Regardless of that fords of that era were shit stay away from them
>>
>>15463802
thanks for answering also.

I have another question.
What is the most reliable and cheapest to maintain, naturally aspirated Japanese FR coupe or 2 seater under USD 10,000?
>>
>>15458591
Are you the hulk?
>>
>>15463829
Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer
>>
>>15463848
Miata
Is
A
Trash
Automobile
>>
File: 1461611561321.jpg (78KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1461611561321.jpg
78KB, 800x533px
>>15459681
>what are normies?

>>15463088
>what is the sticky?

>>15463713
OEM
>or Wix/Napa
>>
>>15460972
what should i sand down too?
this car had some dodgy coat, i don't know what he used but it came up like chalkboard. and then below that was some kind of primer i think, was impossible to sand and would 'stick' like glue if you tried to. then under that was another coat that must have been done by same guy. then under that the 'original' colour and then primer.

it seems like it's had 3 different coats of paint. the panel was actually off a red car, but the whole car is yellow and there was no red paint except on the underside (which you don't see). it went primer, yellow (match whole cars original colour), then black (which i think is done by whoever tried to repaint whole car), then some other primer, then black again.

originally i tried sanding down that black, because it was peeling and looked like crap like i said. but then got to that sticky primer stuff which i couldn't sand well. so then i wanted to strip it down with something and then coat it again so i could get it 'decent' looking (though it'll still come up shit, but what it was like would be way worse).

the paint stripper still got the that sticky stuff again and won't strip it so i'm just going to sand disk it off. the other primer underneath that is sandable easily

from googling it sounds like the primer didn't harden properly on that layer.. would that be right?
>>
File: 1462846025346.gif (653KB, 400x255px) Image search: [Google]
1462846025346.gif
653KB, 400x255px
>>15465239
sand off the clear coat and any flaking or uncured paint; if there's any rust take it to bare metal. You could probably just scuff the original coat and re-spray if no rust
>didn't harden properly
ya, sounds like they didn't let it cure

>be about to repaint a few vehicle hoods
>one is in good shape just bought from a P&P, only a few bug spots through the clear coat
>will only scuff up the clearcoat to respray
>other hood has seen better days
>almost all clearcoat gone
>paint is bleached
>some rust
>will need to sand it down to original primer at least, some parts to bare metal
>>
>>15465373
what grit sandpaper should i use, like 400? and should I only wet sand on the clearcoats?
>>
I have a question is this fan going the wrong way?
it makes a lot of noise but barely blows any air
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8orBR-3CzJY&feature=youtu.be
>>
File: 2015-07-03 14.24.34.jpg (889KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
2015-07-03 14.24.34.jpg
889KB, 2048x1536px
>>15465395
start with 80-150 (don't go crazy) , then go to like 4-600

>wetsand?
only wetsand the primer before you paint, and it's not really necessary; I'm a drysand br/o/
>drysand is just as effective
>just have to do more prep and cleanup
>>
File: IMG_20160614_200309.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160614_200309.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
Hey guys, so I've severely hurt my wrist, my semi pro competitive gaming career is most likely going to be over. I played in team with decentish results on a decent level. I'm quite old(24) and my wrist is gonna take a long time to heal and will probably never be 100% like it used to be.

With all that said, I've decided I wanted a new hobby and my car sparked this sudden huge interest in the car scene. Now my actual question is how do I find cool events, car meets, etc.. In Europe, belgium/netherlands/germany preferably. I want to get to know the scene/people better. I've been lurking for some time but I've never seen any european meets being discussed here. I'd be down to organise meets as well if people would be down for that.

tl:dr sudden interest in cars, where to go to car meets and events in belgium/netherlands/germany.

>tfw buying my first own car 6 months ago. Didn't know too much about cars, parents literally talked me into buying a brand new car..... Don't get me wrong I absolutely adore my car and I love it to bits but god damn I spend 30k on a 1.4tsi.
>>
Hey /O/, I noticed the sidewalls on my tires beginning to chip off due to dry rot, I have two questions:

How much time do they have left?
and
Where can I get good new tires (not walmart tier shit) cheap?

Tires are 225/75/16, can fit 235 or 245 though.
>>
>>15468125
There are /brit/ meetup fairly soon, but it's at least 3 and a half hours from Dover, so I doubt you would want to go to that
>>
>>15439957
You need an international drivers licence
I know in the UK you can go to the post office and get one
iirc, when I lived in the US, my parents had something like 6 months to get a US licence, but I could be wrong
>>
>>15468125
>gaming career
wat
>>
>>15468499
It's a bit far, I'm hoping for it to be kind of regular, and for me to make some new friends. Kinda like the lost royalty crew, even though I'm probably never gonna modify my car to the extents they do.

>>15468511
I make around 250 to 700 a month depending on the results of our matches. But yeah that's most likely going to be over for me, 5 months out of the scene is an eternity in esports. my org already told me they will be replacing me. I hope I maybe can do some teaching or whatever to younger kids idunno well see what the future brings.
>>
>>15468569
It might be worth checking other places besides 4chan. Look at VW forums to see if they're doing meetups

I doubt that meetups in the UK are ever going to be much closer because it's in a fairly central location for most Brits to get to
>>
>>15468607
it seems that /o/ consists of 90% americans and english people it seems :p the belgian vw club only does beetle meets which doesn't really interest me but I'll just keep looking for cool stuff to do.
>>
>>15468615
Be sure to check in on the Brit general every so often
You never know, there might be a meet nearer the South East of England at some point
>>
>>15468628
ok thanks for the offer man I appreciate it. I actually could plan some weekend off for myself to go to england and visit a meet. We'll see if ever the stars align.
>>
Hey /o/ I drive a Lada 21061 1500s which has a significant problem and think this will be a good place to ask about it.

The car is pretty old, 29 years to be precise and lately something has been going on. It runs on LPG cuz we're poor and that has caused a number of problems. First there is a small leakage we found on the gas tank itself which isn't that big of a deal and has nothing to do with the main problem. Oh yes I forget to mention what the problem is. It seem that the max of the gas pedal seems to be in the middle of it's down movement. That's where we get about 3k rpm. The problem is that anything above that makes the engine "drown" and starts to shake forward and backwards, putting the rpms down to about 2-2,5k. I thought that this was because there could've been a tear on some of the pipes leading to the vaporizer but that wasn't the case.

I have a hint that maybe there is a tear in the vaporizer membrane or smt idk. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if it took some major repairs to get the car back at 6k rpm. Also forgot to mention that the Solenoid Valve heats up more than normal.

Thanks in advance.
>>
File: CARB400-large.jpg (24KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
CARB400-large.jpg
24KB, 400x500px
>spray this shit directly down my throttle while the engine is running
>doesnt really seem to do anything
would this stuff clean carbon out of the combustion chamber? i know it rapes carbon around the throttle body
>>
What is the most you guys would pay for a NA miata or a AW11 mr 2?
USD
>>
just looked at a Mercedes GLK 350 for 20k its got 90k miles but looks to be in good shape, should i buy it
>>
>>15469225
its a 2013
>>
>>15468802

Seafoam.

Disconnect your brake booster line or whatever vacuum line is easiest and use it to sip a full cup of seafoam.

DO FUCKING NOT just dip the vacuum line into the cup like its a straw - if you keep sucking straight liquid itll just flood your combustion chamber and fuck your day up. Just bring the line to the surface and let it take little sips, you want the engine to bog down but not stall. Let the line suck air between each sip to let the engine get back to normal idle.
>>
>>15469247
cant buy seafoam in my country
>>
Can I just go out and buy a sheet of the plastic lining that goes between the door steel and the card?
What would be the best thing to use to make my own lining?

I cant find oem sheets anywhere
>>
I have a 1999 Accord 2.3L with an automatic transmission. On a cold start, if I drive to the nearest stop sign and brake, for example, revs drop then engine stalls. I can start it back up and it'll be running perfectly fine (maybe until I have to brake to a stop again). Once normal temps are reached, everything's fine.

Any idea why this happens and how to fix it? Some reading says EGR's clogged or dirty throttle body. Others changed the base idle RPM and that fixed it for them.

I'm a complete scrub at this stuff - should I attempt cleaning the EGR and throttle body or changing the idle RPM myself?
>>
File: 1468514529586.jpg (86KB, 613x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1468514529586.jpg
86KB, 613x1024px
I really don't know anything about most vehicles, as in, I don't know how to change a tire or differentiate a transmission from an engine. Until later on in my childhood, my father wasn't around and I essentially grew up retarded in understanding how a vehicle actually works.

>tl;dr anon needs to learn where to get started to figure out how the things with 4 tires work
>>
>>15470668
get a cheap shit car and tinker with it
>>
>>15450963
No
>>
I'm planning on buying a pickup, maybe. Gonna try to turn it into a prerunner kind of thing, long travel suspension and all that. Maybe a Tacoma or a bronco. Where do I start and how much should I be prepared to spend, if we assume that we keep this truck a mild street legal version of a prerunner?
>>
>>15451085
No it came from the fact that there are dozens of replica kits that fit the fiero.
>>
>>15468491
Discount tire direct
>>
is the 05+ tacoma a body on frame or something else?
>>
Probably gonna wind up with an '05 tacoma, just gonna buy one stock and do upgrades slowly, unless there's a reason to get one already done up
>>
Can I put a BOV on a stock VAG 1.8T found on VW Golf or Seat Leon?
>>
how much of a retard would i be for buying a 2003 RX-8? there's also a 2006 and 2007 but 2003 is the cheapest with a rebuilt engine
>>
>>15472002
Don't even joke about this.
>>
>>15472047
it's really that bad?
>>
>>15472163
03 rx8s are only good for swaps
>>
File: download_20160421_223211.jpg (152KB, 750x734px) Image search: [Google]
download_20160421_223211.jpg
152KB, 750x734px
Hey /o/, I just smoked the clutch on my 2000 camaro. It is the 3800 v6 version. It looks like I'll need to replace the throwout bearing and contact plates. Will this be enough to fix my issue? If so, what parts would you recommend for a poorfag that are cheap but good enough to last a while? My budget is around five hundred dollars.
>>
>>15472163
Gen 1 Rx8's had 2 fewer oil injectors than gen2 because ford engineers thought they knew better than Mazda.

Which is why every single Gen 1 has had 2+ engine rebuilds. They are to be avoided.

..I had a brand new 2004 and a 2009 R3, so not just talking out my ass.
>>
My car makes a horribly loud squeaking noise when I press or depress the clutch, but only if it's from or to a gear. Doing it in neutral makes no noise at all.

I don't know much about engines n shit, how come the gearbox is fucked but it works find for neutral?
>>
>>15472392
Do this:
Start it in first and then drive it into a fucking wall you cunt
>>
can i change the oil on my sentra correctly without using an oil filter wrench, using a cut up water bottle for a funnel and draining the oil into an old tupperware container?
>>
>>15472992
*rubbermaid. it's big enough
>>
>>15472992
I'd get some tinfoil in case your oil filter sits on it's side to help you direct the oil into your container and not on your car
>>
File: 1465451481950.jpg (85KB, 500x517px) Image search: [Google]
1465451481950.jpg
85KB, 500x517px
>>15470190
plastic house insulation sheeting
>get it at a hardware store
>2 mil is great, 6 mil is epic
http://www.lowes.com/pd/10-ft-x-100-ft-x-2-mil-Clear-Consumer-Sheeting/50414212

>>15470245
changing idle and cleaning the egr are extremely easy. However if you have these problems I doubt they'd go away when the car warms up;
sounds like it could be the the torque converter, try a trans. fluid change and see if it gets better or worse

>>15472732
>presses the clutch
>makes a squeak
>it must be the transmission!
wow.
>I don't know much about engines and shit
it's extremely apparent

I assume you have a hydraulic clutch master cylinder because you said it squeaks; try changing the fluid in it
>squeak is probably the plunger in the cylinder going bad
>no noise in neutral because not enough pressure to force rubber plunger along cylinder wall
>probably because it's got fluid filled with contaminants that are wearing down the plunger
If you replace the master cylinder you should do the slave too
it probably wouldn't hurt to change your trans. oil either
>>
>>15473323
i'm too ignorant to do this myself, i'll probably just drop it at a garage and ask what they can do then don't do a thing because the whole car isn't worth half a grand at this point.

but thanks for the lesson it was interesting
>>
>>15473323
>someone openly states they don't know very much about cars
>in a thread designated for asking questions
>someone still manages to insult him

stay classy 4chan
>>
Would I look like a lesbian if I bought an Outback?
>>
>>15473579
Nevermind, answered my own question. Yes I would.
>>
File: 1468616685243.gif (2MB, 488x291px) Image search: [Google]
1468616685243.gif
2MB, 488x291px
I have oil leaking from my intake manifold.
What does this mean?
>>
File: 1442366754682.jpg (9KB, 159x219px) Image search: [Google]
1442366754682.jpg
9KB, 159x219px
>>15473398
I have no idea which one you are, but if you're the auto trans guy just cahnge the fucking fluid it will take like 30 minutes

>>15473557
>someone openly states they don't know very much about cars
not knowing things is fine; trying to diagnose things when you don't know shit (clutch is squeaky! why tranny not work?) is hilarious to me and you will be ridiculed, you get what you pay for
>in a thread designated for asking questions
for free
>someone still manages to insult him
and complains about getting an actual free answer

>epilogue: don't make me slap the puss outta you, this is MY FUCKING DRIVEWAY
https://youtu.be/97hfxth3aas
>>
>>15473680
I'm the squeaky guy. i admit not knowing shit and was perfectly happy with your answer, don't mind that shitposter trying to start shit
>>
File: 1447630941210.jpg (54KB, 640x495px) Image search: [Google]
1447630941210.jpg
54KB, 640x495px
>>15473671
>oil in intake mani
I assume it's burning quite a bit of oil, then.
If it's turbo'd, the turbo seals are probably bad and you should rebuild it before it totally dies, check the charge pipes and if there's oil inthem it's true
Also look at the valve stem seals
>does it smoke a lot at startup and then onece it's warm not at all? valve stems seals are bad
consider it possibly being a valve cover leak that is dripping into your intake
>clean engine
>get chalk
>draw chalk lines around where you think it's leaking
>test drive
>inspect

>>15473722
If the car isn't worth taking to a shop seriously just DIY, master and slave cylinder replacements plus some new brake fluid will run you less than $50, or even cheaper if you rebuild the master cylinder yourself. Tools you need for this job (a socket set, and set of jackstands plus a jack to do the slave cylinder, mainly) shouldn't be more than $100 (~$50 for tools, $50 for jack and stands)
>bonus: clutch hydraulic linkage is easy system to lean to bleed
>knowledge directly transfers to brake bleeding
>double bonus: unless you lose them or break them you only need to buy tools once

>SEE I'M A NICE GOY
>>
>>15469272
try protec, it's better than seafoam anyway
>>
File: 20160720_162806.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160720_162806.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Trying to replace the plates on my blazer. What the fuck is this? I cant stick anything inside. How the fuck am I supposed to get the screw out?
>>
>>15473833
paint?
>>
>>15474096
You're looking at a security bit needed, there. It's essentially a torx bit with a hole in the center
>>
>>15474096
security Allen head. you should be able to find the correct bit at a hardware store.
>>
Which is a better daily driver, the Scion TC or the FRS?
>>
File: 1469047249686.jpg (78KB, 575x324px) Image search: [Google]
1469047249686.jpg
78KB, 575x324px
>>15474692
>>15474663

Thank you friends
>>
>>15474693
tC for daily driving, honestly.

Not nearly as fun as the FR-S, but it's more practical.
>>
File: IMAG0304.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0304.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Is there any difference in voltage between an OBD-I and OBD-II crankshaft position sensor.

Jeep cherokee 1996 mid-year (june) so some parts are still on the old standard.

I was wondering if I could find a harness for the OBD-II cps and just splice it in to accommodate the new part
>>
what is STI
>>
could a motorcycle turbo work in a 4 cyl car?
>>
File: IMG_20160721_002851.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160721_002851.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hey guys I'm working on a chinese scooter currently and I'm having a bit of trouble since I'm not very experienced. I checked google and various scooter forums but I just can't find my specific scenario.

I'm trying to replace the gear oil since it has been sitting for about a year. I unscrewed the drain plug and nothing came out so I closed it back up and began filling it with gear oil. My luck ran out there though because it started pouring out of the rear break line.

It's a chinese scooter I believe GY6 is what everyone refers to it as. Here's some other pictures too.

https://i.imgur.com/jDhGLSb.jpg This is where I put in the gear oil

https://i.imgur.com/9t89XJD.jpg This is where it should drain and it does, it just also leaks out of that break line for some reason.
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.