[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT : Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 68

File: 27074800553_49db2bdc2c_o.jpg (3MB, 2448x1625px) Image search: [Google]
27074800553_49db2bdc2c_o.jpg
3MB, 2448x1625px
Learn From Your Mistakes Edition

>Ask /o/ questions that are either sensible or stupid here.
>Also answer to questions if you know them.

Last QTDDTOT >>15382658 to reach bump limit soon.
>>
File: IMG_20151117_133727.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151117_133727.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
I just replaced my spark plugs and after the install, the check engine light stayed on and the car ran rough at revs higher than idle. After a while of running and turning off and on again the car ran smooth and the check engine light was off. Is this normal for new spark plugs? For reference I have the NGK ILFR6B laser iridium plugs.
>>
>>15415592
Was the gap proper? did you jostle any vacuum lines? Did you have to disconnect any fuel lines? How old is your coil, or coil packs?
>>
>>15415564
Do shorter cars have a smaller chance of flipping over while turning?
>>
How the he'll do I make rock chips look like new?
>>
Is 10w-40 ok to use if I live in a +100°F city until winter?
>>
>>15415861
Not necessarily no. It has more to do with center of gravity and how wide the car is.

>>15416192

What do you drive? Whats the Recommended weight you're supposed to use?
>>
File: 1466050706733.png (394KB, 657x360px) Image search: [Google]
1466050706733.png
394KB, 657x360px
>>15415564
Asked this in the last one but didn't get a response

I'm trying to replace the radio in my shitbox but don't have a panel removal tool, what can I use instead
>>
>>15415564
Was it normal for my 93 mazda mx-6 to spend more time at the mechanics than a Jag?
>>
Can I measure voltages in the car without turning it on?
>>
>>15416631
What does the panel removal tool look like?
>>
>>15416674
The video I watched had something similar to this.
>>
>>15416670

depends on the system but you most likely at least need the key on

>>15416631

what kind of vehicle? most vehicles especially older GM the dash literally comes apart like Lego, you shouldnt need a panel tool. if its something that you do need one, you can try a flathead screwdriver with a rag on the end of it but that may still leave marks

but i have taken many dashes apart and the only one i needed a removal tool for was my girlfriends 98 Civic, otherwise i only use removal tools for door panels

>>15416192

should be, my vehicles that burn oil i run 15w-40 in summer. my Chevy Silverado burns enough oil that before roadtrips i run 5L of 10w-30 and 1L of gear oil

>>15415592

never heard of that but dont worry unless it happens again
>>
>>15416670
Unless your testing the battery, No.
>>
>>15416683
You can probably use an assortment of Screwdrivers in place of those.

I thought you might mean Radio removal tools which look like these.
>>
>>15416631
if you have a tool for installing bake tires, those work well.
>>
In a car without AC, where does the air for the ventilation system come from? Is it the air that goes through the engine or what?

Also does it have some sort of filter, because I get large chunks of leaves blown in
>>
>>15416692
It is a gm vehicle (Saturn), I'm concerned the I'll fuck something up with a screwdriver or leave marks. Worth a shot if it's all I can find

>>15416701
A couple pieces came with the radio that look similar to those, not sure what they're for

>>15416709
For a bike tire? I may have some of those around, thanks
>>
>>15416754
There are usually vents just between where the dash and hood are, where the blower motor sits and sucks air in.

Most older cars have very little in the way of air filters for the blower so if you're getting leaves coming in then youll need to probably clean off the grate that covers the blower motor.
>>
>>15416770
Those tools are for removing the radio they l slide into the sides to pop loose the spring loaded catches that hold the radio in.
>>
File: bike.jpg (137KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
137KB, 800x533px
Never posted in /o/ before, but I figure this is the place to go for my question. I just bought a 1993 Honda Elite 80 scooter (pic related), but there's no muffler so I can't really ride it late at night without pissing off everyone in my general vicinity. Anyone know where I could find a muffler for one of these things? Should I ask a local scooter shop or wait until something pops up on craigslist? Is there any other way I could make it quieter?
>>
>>15416670
Depends on what you need to measure voltage from.
If you need to check the battery or fuses or one of the few constantly-on circuits (like cigarette lighter on some cars or part of the ignition system) then you can leave everything off, but for pretty much everything else you have to turn the key to the run position and turn on everything except the engine.
>>
>>15416754
Air comes from an intake somewhere in the back of the engine bay, usually right under the windshield where the wipers are, it comes from the same place regardless of the presence of an AC system.

Usually there is a filter right after the intake and before the fan to stop shit from getting to your face and/or clogging the fan, but old or very basic cars usually don't have one.

Check online to see if you have one, maybe for some weird reason somebody took it out and didn't replace it.
>>
My first post on this board. Looking to buy my first car (had a license for a few years, been driving the family Twinko).
I'd like something relatively cheap to buy, reliable, w/ turbo and relatively simple to fiddle with so I could pick up the basics of car maintenance and modification.
Is first gen Impreza turbo a terrible choice? Are replacement part for it rare and expensive, because it's old?
>>
>>15416604
Recommended weight is 5w-30
>>
Are muffler bypasses illegal in California? Are there stipulations on where they're located, i.e. behind muffler, behind cat, etc.?
>>
I live like 5 minutes from the border. What's stopping me from buying a car in Mexico and bringing it over?
>>
File: PQ6y5y7.gif (2MB, 352x217px) Image search: [Google]
PQ6y5y7.gif
2MB, 352x217px
>cleaning pistons
>the last out of 8 piston rings snapped

do i have to replace all of them? i do, don't i
>>
>>15417095
no, it's not a terrible choice, but they need maintenance. Parts are fairly cheap, and work is not difficult, but they're not exactly corolla tier reliable. I own a '97 STi myself.
>>
>>15417095
buy a s13 silvia you'd wanna hope you can learn real quick nigga
>>
>>15417331
You'll have to register it, and if Its younger than 25 years you won't be able to register it.

>>15417115
Thicker oil is ok to run in the summer.
>>
>>15416981
Mufflers are not that expensive, go to a shop and get yourself a proper muffler.
There is not much you can do except installing the missing part
>>
>>15417346
Thanks for the reply. Anything I should look out for when buying one?
>>15417348
Unfortunately Silvias are pretty much unavailable in my country. Also, I want an Impreza for the aesthetic and nostalgia reasons.
>>
File: 1467708778809.jpg (610KB, 1280x1912px) Image search: [Google]
1467708778809.jpg
610KB, 1280x1912px
>>15417343
bump
>>
>>15417439
Don't buy one that's running really rich, unless you plan on fixing this right away. If you just drive it around running rich the IACV will get clogged up, your oil will dirty, and the car will just not run very well. I made this mistake and paid the price for it. It won't ruin the car, but it will cost money to fix.
>>
Should I sell my '91 2.6 300e to someone on /o/?
>>
Going to attempt valve adjustment on the k20. I was thinking I would just leave the hood open for 3-4 hours to let it cool, but I heard somewhere that you have to let the engine sit for 24+ hours before doing a valve adjustment. I like to work efficiently and I have a 10 hour window of time with which I want to do the valves and a few other things, and I don't want to put it off for another week.

wat do?
>>
thanks for an informative thread /o/
>>
Retrofitting an old refridgerant system with new r134a ona 92 sable. Anyone experienced with this? Car only has 45k miles on it, but the old lady burned up the clutch with coolant leaks apparently.
>>
Would you consider a Craigslist ad that mainly just says COLD AC a red flag? Can there person really not elaborate on anything else? I mean fuck I just want to know what's wrong and I'll try and fix it myself.
>>
How shitty is driving with an exhaust leak?
>>
When I'm deleting something from the car what should I do with the connectors?
For instance the a/c compressor switch I just cut the wire and wrapped electrical tape around it is there a normal procedure for this because I have alot of connectors dangling at this point.
>>
File: toyota_mr2_1985_wallpapers_1.jpg (639KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
toyota_mr2_1985_wallpapers_1.jpg
639KB, 2048x1536px
>>15417923
Take a pyrometer and check the temperature when it hits ambient temperature (outside temp) you're fine.
>>15418054
Yes CL 101, you could go check it out and ask but it'll be a pos more often than not with an ad like that.
>>15418062
From experience, YES
>>
>>15418097
Cut the connector, insulate the wires and pull the fuse if it doesn't protect other circuits
>>
my brakes are lumpy

how much will this cost to repair?
>>
Front wheel hub came apart in the knuckle. The rubber seal remains on the knuckle. The hub rolls smoothly in both directions and the grease that was visible looks clean and smells fine.

Can I reuse this? I'd rather not have to replace it at this time financially, but could if I had to.

Should I leave the seal on the knuckle and sandwich it back on or peel it off and then press it back into the hub? I'm afraid of stretching or tearing it with the ladder, but I'd like to clean the knuckle up with the wheel and some fresh paint.

Tl;Dr
>Wheel hub rubber seal stuck to the knuckle
>Wheel hub rotates freely and smells fine
>Grease appears to be good
>Should I remove the seal and then push it back into the hub or leave it and clean up around it?
>>
>>15418191
$40 to $200. Do it yourself you'll save $200.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (75KB, 790x679px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
75KB, 790x679px
Would you pay $5900 for this?
Gonna ask about the timing belts and headgaskets when I test drive it. Has a clean carfax if that means shit
Also not looking forward to having to mod the stereo myself since there's no AUX
I'm sold on a turbo outback but I'm trying to find the right one and I have about $6000 from an insurance settlement
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/667897538/overview/
>>
I can get a new Jeep Patriot 4x4 manual transmission for 15.5k OTD
I live in the snow so the 4x4 would be nice

Also thinking paying 5k more and getting a fiesta st for the fun and the memes

Cant decide senpai help
>>
So I accidentally twisted this damping adjustment knob in the front wheels now both sides don't match. Reading the manual it has 30 levels (level 0 is hard) and factory level is 8. I want to do some readjustment.

The car is not very low (10cm clearance, about 4") but sometimes it scratches the speed bump. After some researching it appears that softer suspension can climb and fall across the speed bump smoother.

I want to adjust the suspension softer. Thinking the extremities, question is what happens if I go all the way to level 30 (the softest level)?
>>
>>15418208
wat do?

i've only ever done drums before and i'm worried it's the rotors
>>
>>15418690
You might be able to save the rotors by having them resurfaced. Depends on how bad they are.
>>
I have been looking at and test driving cars for 2 years now. I can't convince myself to buy anything, everything in my budget feels like it has too many compromises or mechanical problems. Are all vehicles under ~$5k shit or am I just a retard who makes bad picks?
>>
>>15419036
all cars under 5k are shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 228x221px
>>15418520
Pls respond
>>
>>15419036
>>15419824
>all cars under 5k are shit.
this guy is right. Take it from me who's been burned several times in the past buying cars below $5k. Vehicle age and miles WILL fuck up ANY car, even "quality" ones.
>>
File: _SC00314.jpg (69KB, 576x436px) Image search: [Google]
_SC00314.jpg
69KB, 576x436px
>>15415564
so I just replaced my mostly clogged cat with a test pipe because the cat was causing a nasty sounding exhaust leak and now the car is loud as tits. how easily will cops here in cali be able to tell that I'm running a test pipe?

I'm also pretty low, so it would be hard to look under to see it and eventually I'm going to hollow out the cat so it'll be a test pipe in disguise
>>
>>15420165
where did you get that photo?
>>
>>15416162
Chrisfix on YouTube has a video on rock chips,
>>
>>15418520
If you get a Jeep, you're a retard. If you're worried about the snow but also want to have fun, just get a WRX.
>>
>>15417360
I'm really not trying to spend more than $50 on a new muffler (I am broke right now); could I really get a muffler for that cheap? I was considering making a homemade muffler like this: http://scooter.wikia.com/wiki/Building_a_can_in_can_muffler

There is another problem that I just noticed though. Since the old muffler broke off where it meets the header pipe (apparently a common problem with the Elite 80), I'm not sure where I would mount the muffler. Could I drill though the header pipes and screw the muffler in though the drilled holes? Obviously sounds like a bad idea, but would it at least work for now until I can buy real parts? Also, sorry if I sound like an idiot; I'm not very knowledgeable about this kind of stuff.
>>
>>15420177
its old dude

its a Halloween thing
>>
File: image.jpg (166KB, 600x524px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
166KB, 600x524px
>>15420263
Cant afford wrx
lurk enough to know chrysler a shit but whats wrong with jeep?
Everyone i know has been trying to talk me into it
(Please talk me out of it)
>>
>>15418667
Soft means the movement of the car will not be damped as much and the suspension will possibly travel further than before.
While this my translate in a way more comfy ride, it could cause problems in situations where there is a sudden weight transfer (like when braking hard or doing quick left-right turns) causing excessive suspension travel which may result in even more scraping.

Keep in mind dampers don't influence your static weight (that is done by changing springs or regulating ride height with the bezel of coilovers), they only change how fast and how much weight is transfered, thus influencing how fast and how far your suspensions move.

I don't think your dampers may be too soft even in the softest setting, but another risk is the car bouncing excessively after a bump if that's the case, you will notice immediately anyway.

Anyway, trying a few settings won't hurt you if you are not an idiot, so go ahead and see for yourself what gives you the best compromise between comfort, suspension travel and scraping.
>>
>>15420278
I mean if you are completely broke then go with the DIY muffler, but it will look nigger rigged as fuck.

Aren't mufflers mandatory where you live? Because that makeshift muffler still doesn't count as a proper muffler and will be illegal just as if you go without it.

Just give a shop a call or look online to see how much new ones cost
>>
>>15415564
Why are cylinder configurations commonly used in an even number form?

>Like V6, V8. V10, etc and not V3, V5?
>>
>>15420868
Meant to say "static height", not weight
>>
>>15420987

how would you balance an actual V5
>>
>>15420992
VW made a V5 engine. Just like a V6, they are inherently imbalanced. Usually balance shafts are used to smooth them out.
>>
>>15420868
>>15420988
Thanks, any key info i need to know about mixed stiffness? (eg. soft at front wheels, stiff at rear wheels) The car is an FR
>>
>>15415564
I drive a 98 Mazda 626 with the 5 speed manual v6 and I have noticed off and on recently that it will get like a raspy clicking any idea?doesn't seem like it's the engine itself causing it, doesn't happen when I'm at a stop just when I'll be at about 3 to 4k rpm in 2/3/4
>>
>>15417095
fuck no
boxer engine
turbo
old
4wd
raped to death by teenagers

maybe get a gt starlet?
>>
>>15421028
Soft rear and stiff front will make your back squat faster under accelerstion, thus giving you a little bit more traction, but without raising the nose too fast and losing grip at the front. On the other hand, breaking hard will make your rear lift quickly and your front dive not as much, giving you marginally less grip at the front (compared to a softer front) and less grip at the rear.
Overall it's a slightly understeering setup when accelerating (with the traction bonus) and a slightly oversteering setup when braking.

Stiff rear and soft front will make your nose lift faster under acceleration and your rear squat slower. Again an understeering setup which may or may not give you more traction than before, depending on the weight distribution of your car among other things.
The same setup will make your car more stable when braking tough, the fast front dive will give the front wheels all the load they need, while the back won't raise as quickly, giving you more time before you start getting into oversteer territory.

Notice I said the car rises/dives "faster", not "more".
Damping only affects the speed at which the movements happen, not the distance traveled by the suspension, give it enough time and the total suspension travel will be the same, it only happens slower or faster depending on the softness of the dampers.
The softer the damper, the faster the weight moves to/from that part of the car. You can use this to give you more load in certain situations (like at the front when braking) or to slow down the degrade of performance on one side of the car (like at the front when accelerating).

It's quite hard to explain in one post, but I suggest you google how racing dampers work to understand this kind of dynamics.
Anyway don't be afraid to test a lot, go with the extremes first to get a feel of how a car feels like when it's full soft and full hard, then start experimenting with mixes.
>>
>>15420987
Because even numbered cylinders are typically easier to balance, the calculations and manufacturing processes needed to balance odd numbered cylinders correctly and cheaply hasn't been done until recently, because of computers
>>
does a better exhaust system and cold air intake actually do something if we're talking about some regular shitbox and not a sports car? no bully please
>>
Hey /o/ I was looking at buying my 5th car, just totaled the last one and will be getting an insurance cheque for around $3500, so I don't have much to work with. Was looking at getting this
http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/5652739080.html
It's the 95 GT, so it has the mazda v6, vinned it and it seems like it was decently taken care of by it's previous owners (idk about the guy selling it though) and I know they have problems but do you think this would be an unrealistic DD? I only work like 5 miles away, but I have to go on a major highway and bridge and I don't think mopeds are even allowed on it (a moped was my plan for a backup in case I can't find a car)

Plz help
>>
>>15422125
He also said the water pump was leaking, and he has the timing belt and water pump but doesn't know how to do it, he also has a new compressor for the ac. I'm guessing he has $0 to have it done and doesn't know how to do it?
>>
Should I use the lowering springs that are sitting in my garage to lower my car even though the suspension is completely stock? The roads around me are fairly nice, and I don't think I'll damage them. Just want your opinions.
>>
>>15421827
Yeah. More airflow = more performance. You may not get a lot out of it like you might in an actual performance car, but it might be slightly noticeable along with the car sounding better. What do you drive?
>>
File: bullbar.jpg (13KB, 420x193px) Image search: [Google]
bullbar.jpg
13KB, 420x193px
i'm thinking about getting pic related.
would there be any legal problems if i were to attach a front and rear bullbar?

i live in the south and people just drive so fucking aggressive, they think it's fun to get close as possible to tailgating you. i drive a decent car unlike them and don't want it screwed up. half them are driving lifted f-150 trucks absolutely covered in bullbars. there should be nothing stopping me right? it might look funny on a early bmw but i really need a rear one at least.
>>
>>15422218
Go ahead if you know you won't be scraping.
I assume the springs are also stiffer so prepare for a quite noticeable degrade in ride comfort
>>
>>15417095
>I'd like something relatively cheap to buy, reliable, w/ turbo and relatively simple to fiddle with so I could pick up the basics of car maintenance and modification.
get something like a starlet
>>
File: pic not related.jpg (345KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
pic not related.jpg
345KB, 1280x853px
>>15422227
79kw Clio 2

it's just my friend has this Clio Sport intake lying around and the whole exhaust system needs a lot of work, so I was wondering if a couple of extra bucks for sporty parts would make any difference
>>
>>15422614
yes it will, also a good stainless exhaust should come with a lifetime guarantee
>>
>>15422614
alright thanks a lot man
>>
>>15422644

>>15422736
>>
File: image_17.jpg (157KB, 670x1192px) Image search: [Google]
image_17.jpg
157KB, 670x1192px
Good tire brands in general?
If possible, specifically for Miatas.
>>
I have 350K with me. I've been thinking of investing it in real estate but I think that's not a sufficient amount for that. I have never tried this but is investing on cars a good idea? If you think that's a good idea, what kind of cars are the best to invest on? For under 300k what cars would you suggest?
All inputs welcome.
Thanks.
>>
>>15422901
The Ford GT is a nice investment.

You can find them from 250K-290K with 4K-9K miles on them.

Porsche Cayman GT4?
Shelby GT350(R)?
Acura NSX?
>>
File: 1261482-disney__22_.jpg (259KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1261482-disney__22_.jpg
259KB, 1680x1050px
What car is the Lightning McQueen based on?
>>
>>15422439
bump no bully
>>
>>15422759
So fucking hot
>>
If you put grease on your car will it be more aerodynamic?
>>
File: 6332604471_5.jpg (216KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
6332604471_5.jpg
216KB, 1536x864px
>>15421055
>>15422604
Ok, what about bugeye WRX station wagon? They go for about the same dosh as 1st gen turbo sedans and I would guess being less ancient and less probability of being abused by a tosser due to body type would make them a slightly more sensible choice?
>>
>>15423251
Want more aerodynamics? Put duct tape on all panel gaps.
>>
What's a bobweight?

"We then figure your exact bobweight and balance the crankshaft to that exact bobweight"

Tried googling that shit and finding out myself and found nothing, but maybe I just suck at searching for stuff.
>>
Is this too good to be true?

Says two previous owners and clean carfax report but this car seems pretty cheap..

What precautions should I take before buying?
>>
>>15423684
everyone and their mom has one of those
>>
>>15423684
Its probably over priced actually.
>>
>>15423684
My black 07 GT was 16k when I bought it like 4 years ago for around the same mileage, take that how you will.
>>
So im trying to find another car after i got rear ended, is a 2005 rx8 with 118,000 miles worth getting for 7.5k? Also will insurrance rape me for being 23?
>>
File: ctrp_0504_bal_4_z.jpg (36KB, 371x495px) Image search: [Google]
ctrp_0504_bal_4_z.jpg
36KB, 371x495px
>>15423585
Dude, I Googled bob weight and the first page was full of relevant results, what the hell were you googling?

Anyways, they are used to simulate the weight of the rod-piston assembly when balancing a crankshaft, pic related comes from the first result that pops up on google
>>
>>15418324

head gaskets aren't much of an issue with turbo models. timing belt is a must. check to see if turbo has been replaced, a banjo bolt filter can clog and take the turbo out, sometimes putting metal glitter through the block, depending on how catastrophic and how fast it got shut off.

best solution for radio is to get a jdm bezel. comes with a/c controls and an empty double din bay. $300 just for the hole in your dash.

fun cars though. i have an LGT wagon and love it.
>>
Is there a site that r8s car parts based on how common/expensive they are?
>>
>>15423885
it's technically 4 doors, but yes insurance will probably rape you. how long is your car insurance history?
>>
Looking to get a car here in the next few years, here's what I'm looking for:

>Under 30K new or used
>Good dynamic handling
>Decent mileage, 20/30 or so
>Somewhere around 200HP is fine
>preferrably manual
>quiet cabin and good build quality
>fairly reliable
>AWD

So far I'm hoping in a few years I'll be able to get a used 228i X Drive for that much because that seems to fit everything I want and I love the styling. I'm also looking at an A6 or an A4. I really like Lexus for their reliability and focus on quality but I'm not sure the driving dynamics will be very fun. The Mazda 6 also caught my eye but it's not quite as upscale as I'm looking for.
>>
File: S40.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
S40.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
Any S40 owners up in here?

Are these cars actually worth the time, patience, and money? My buddy says his S40 has been solid to him and only has had to do the timing belts, alternator, & pcv system only.

Meanwhile another person I know has told me their S40 was a complete fucking nightmare plagued with electrical problems, oil leaks, steering would lock up & can't start the car, and just nonstop cash down the drain.
>>
File: 81 scrambler.jpg (101KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
81 scrambler.jpg
101KB, 1200x675px
is this worth 7k? what should I try and get it down to?

>4:56 Gears
>Detroit Lockers
>Twin Stick transfer case
>Rocky Road SOA Lift
>3" body lift
>35-14.50 swampers
>Mosier solid axle in rear
>Superior chromoly axle in front w\oversize axle joints
>258 inline 6 cylinder w\4 speed manual
>>
File: 20160711_180159.jpg (632KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160711_180159.jpg
632KB, 2048x1152px
I bought a complete set of 39 year old Enkei Focus Racing Focals. The face pieces are corroded a little. I want to polish the wheels a bit, but I don't want to peel any more paint.

wat do
>>
>>15415564

I have 11k and need a new used car by next week,

whats a reliable hot hatch i should get?

>no golfs pls.
>>
Just got through my third set of front brake discs in a month (thankfully I got refunded) due to judder
What is causing them to warp so quickly?
>>
>>15424427
>>15424427
i love it
>>
Does MAF cleaner from Vatozone actually work?
>>
>>15424527
yes but its usually temporary, they often get dirty again from whatever caused it in the first place like a k&n
>>
File: 1461471571659.jpg (19KB, 384x383px) Image search: [Google]
1461471571659.jpg
19KB, 384x383px
>>15415564
what exactly is riding the clutch? Is it where i use the clutch to move me around in gas station without giving it gas?
>>
I posted this in a previous thread but i have a bit more info.

My power windows, AC/Heater/Blower controls, Airbag (the light comes on) and sometimes the power locks stopped working. Before I was able to drive around for a bit and they started working again but now it seems my luck ran out.

Alternator tested good at Advance Auto but the battery was not fully charged 12.03V and put out 551 CCA out of it's rated 700.

I'm entering unknown territory here and don't know where to start to look the cause.
>>
>>15424534
i think it's when you are are driving around normally and have the clutch pedal slightly depressed the whole time.
dunno though.
>>
>>15424497
ABS malfunction
Slightly jammed caliper pistons
Not enough lubricant on the caliper sliding pins
Shit rotors

How do the pads look? Signs of uneven wear or too much heat (glass-like appearance on the contact patch)?
>>
>>15424534
It means driving and resting your foot on the clutch pedal instead of the footrest
>>
>>15424571
Pads look fine they're slight upgrades and never had a problem before, i had rebuilt the calipers about 6 months ago.
The last two lots of brake discs have warped, no problems before then.
I suppose it could be the discs themselves but they're just normal motorcraft ones, nothing particularly bad.
Dunno about ABS, no lights on the dash and I'm not sure I get hektik enough to trouble it desu.
>>
>>15424598
How's the brake fluid looking? Have you ever mixed different kinds of fluids before? Sometimes gunk can form because of mixing dot3 with dot4 that will partially clog ABS valves and cause all kinds of problems.

Check again on the calipers, especially the sliding pins
>>
>>15415564
How much $$ can you get taken off of MSRP value of a brand new car? I think $30,000 is too much for a brand new WRX and that's too damn near STI territory if you ask me. How easily would it be to get money off of the MSRP? Any tips?
>>
File: 1407619431707_jpg.jpg (206KB, 671x560px) Image search: [Google]
1407619431707_jpg.jpg
206KB, 671x560px
>>15422759
Sorry, I'm retarded. To clarify:
205/45R17 are my dimensions.
See some discussion for 215s vs. 205s, but just trying to find some info on decent tires in the first place in this size range (or just decent brands for that matter). Daily driver year-long, snows during winter where I'm at.
Better yet, what are some companies I should avoid?
>>
>>15424618
Fluid and hoses were replaced when the calipers were serviced.
I'll see if I can check the ABS valves, never done that before or heard of it so I'll read up on it.
But I agree the problem is probably something to do with the calipers or around that area.
Will check the sliding pins, thanks.
>>
>>15424649
go on tyrereviews.co.uk they publish tests conducted by magazines.
>>
>>15415564
How do you find somebody trustworthy to work on your car?

The place i used to go to where I currently am closed up shop and I'm out of town for the summer. I just ended up taking it to Firestone because my dad offered to put it on his FS card and I went "alright, how could they fuck up just seeing if something's fucked with my brakes?" I didn't notice it until I got home, but three of my fucking rims were gone. Figured they were going to put them back on when I brought it back the next day. They are claiming it left with four rims and it isn't their problem, but if that's the fucking case, then that means three of my fucking rims fell off on my 1990 century Buick in one trip. These aren't the type of rims that just fucking fall off unless you're a god damn retard putting them on.

So tl;dr how do I find a good mechanic?
>>
>>15424656
To be fair, the abs problem is super fucking rare.
I knew about it because I heard of the story of a few years ago about the euro Chevy Matiz being recalled because of gunk in the valves that made pedals drop like stones with little to no braking power
>>
File: 1426300254644.jpg (555KB, 1024x765px) Image search: [Google]
1426300254644.jpg
555KB, 1024x765px
>>15424658
Thanks friend, I'll check em out.
>>
Is kei car pronounced like Kay car or kai, like high, car? I'm thinking the former but I'm unsure, since I've only encountered the term through reading.
>>
>>15424656
Quite often persistent disc warping/judder is caused by the caliper and disc not running square, some well placed shims should sort it.
>>
>>15424689
Like the letter k.
>>
>>15415564
I'm selling my car to a dealer. I had two minor accidents requiring bodywork. Gf scraped the side when she was backing out of driveway and I backed into a wall at low speed. Can I get away with lying and saying it's perfect? I know they don't show up on the carfax report. The work was done by a great shop using insurance and you can't tell. Thanks.
>>
File: image.jpg (138KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138KB, 800x600px
I kinda want this but the price seems absurd. What is this actually worth? Note 10.5k CAD = 8k USD

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/Prelude/SCARBOROUGH/Ontario/19_9366974_/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=33_15_65
>>
File: rl06glblk350z.jpg (62KB, 600x396px) Image search: [Google]
rl06glblk350z.jpg
62KB, 600x396px
What are those chrome things you can put on the rim of a steelie that looks something like this called?
>>
>>15424856
Paint
>>
>>15424856
wheel trims
>>
>>15424856

polished lip
>>
>>15415564
S/o/, I have a pretty dumb idea.

I want to buy the most fucked up shitbox I can find. Maybe from a junkyard. Doesn't even have to run. Gut the fuck out of it and then drop in an engine from a supersport motorcycle. Turns out you can buy an inline 4 motorcycle engine on eBay for like $1200 because retards total their bikes all the time.

Shave as much weight off as physically possible. Dump all the seats, no carpet, no AC, no fucking windows. Put a sprocket on the drive shaft and have a mid-engine, literbike shitbox. You could use the entire powertrain from the motorcycle engine. Clutch, transmission, everything.

>tfw reving to 16,000 in a Ford Festiva
>>
>>15424913
I'm so fucking doing this.
https://youtu.be/TlCCJby8Ez0
>>
>>15424909
thanks, I guess what I was looked for was a clip on polished lip.
>>
>>15424913
>no reverse gear
A few people have put Busa engines in Smart cars though. There was a racing series here in Aus that had Yamaha powered mini cars - same thing as you're saying really. They used a starter motor as reverse. Meshed with a ring gear on a brake disk
>>
I'm looking to purchase my first fun car, the only catch is that it needs to be a 4 door. Looking to at 10-15k. I've seen some unmodded STis with ~100k miles in this price range. Can someone convince me why it's a retarded idea? Or maybe defend it. It would be a daily which I learn how to maintain as I go. I've also given thought to a g8 gt or an LS430 (yes I know the LS isn't a fun car, but that comfort and reliability). Input appreciated.
>>
can someone explain to me what the hell people mean when they talk about "granny gears". All I've heard from people is somewhere along the lines of "yeah I bought it unmolested; it's got granny gears in the rear". What?
>>
>>15424645
Please
>>
>>15416770
What Saturn? S series don't like anything but copper
>>
File: 1467926266812.gif (2MB, 410x396px) Image search: [Google]
1467926266812.gif
2MB, 410x396px
>>15415564
how hard is it to find a tire shop that offers to only mount tires?

like I bought rims and tires online only to find out they were too hard to mount by hand without scratching them.

also if someone knowledgeable or experienced can give insight to >>15420165 it would be appreciated
>>
>>15425280
No
>>
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5678665469.html

Should I do it?
>>
File: volvo360.jpg (94KB, 972x648px) Image search: [Google]
volvo360.jpg
94KB, 972x648px
>>15425331
any independent shop should do it
>if they sell used tires they probably do it

>>15425229
>granny gears in the rear
is a high ratio gear (aka low geared) rear axle
>it can also apply to trannies and hi/lo transfer cases

>>15424422
>friend one is based /o/tist, does preventative maintenance and wrenches himself
>friend two is a normie who never does their own maintenance and always takes it to the shop but only when it's already broken
stop asking friend two for advice
>>
What is the most reliable (preferably manual transmission)AWD/4x4 car i can buy used or new for around 20k give or take
>>
>>15415564
when will mazda give me that
>>
>>15425631
probably some subaru, maybe a mazdaspeed6.

every once in a while a kind anon with ConsumerReports makes a thread taking requests. Pick a few in your price range and ask there, if you can find a thread.
>>
>>15416981
Any scooter muffler should do the trick with a little fab, cut, bolt, fit... Find a trashed one and take it off if you're hard up, which I'd guess you are because you have scooter with no muffler.
>>
>>15425336
why not
>>
File: IMG_20160709_140204.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160709_140204.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
How do I reattach these 2 pieces? The tab that broke off is the ground, so a wire with a female connector will be on the end of it. I tried an epoxy putty, but it broke. Is there a way to solder this without heating it up too much? I don't want to damage what's inside.
>>
>>15416981
Pool noodle.

I'm serious.

https://youtu.be/V9E5oAnPTjM
>>
>>15425833
It's just a globe, why would it matter if you heated it up?
Anyway, if you really don't want to solder it, hoseclamp the terminal to the housing.
>>
>>15425880
Oh, and scrape all that putty off first. It's almost certainly not conductive
>>
>>15425880
>>15425886
I'll be cleaning all the epoxy off with my dremel. I thought about using a hose clamp, but I'm not sure how secure it will be. I might do another layer of epoxy, then put the hose clamp around over that. Hopefully that will strengthen it enough so it won't break off again.
>>
How significantly would blacking out the chrome inside of my headlights change their effectiveness?
>>
Hey ive got a question. im currently on my ps and im looking at the new car. im thinking either a r33 skyline or a pulsar GTiR. at the moment im leaning towards the pulsar because its AWD which is handy considering i live in a rural area. its light and i dont need a large car for a long time to come. the thing that wont tip me over to the pulsar is the looks. imo certain things about the car make it look shit. such as the giant good scoop that is disgusting despite the funtionality of it. any opionions would be helpful. cheers in advance
>>
'99 corolla ultima shudders when lightly braking at speeds over 80km/h. It does happen at random times going down hills too.

Rotors dont seem to warped in any way and pads dont have any uneven wear.

Any suggestions on what other factors could be causing this?
>>
My '97 nissan maxima finally died (cost to repair will be more than buying a cheap used car, and its just generally beat to shit). After 350k miles I'm looking to buy a new one. It has easily been my favorite car, and has given me very little problems. What cheapish car could I get thats similiar? Preferably comfy, reliable, manual, fun, pretty powerful, and jap in order of importance.
>>
File: Subaru-Impreza-2012-1280-05.jpg (270KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Subaru-Impreza-2012-1280-05.jpg
270KB, 1280x960px
>>15424412
>>
>>15425442
No, work more harder and get a Corolla under 2010.
>>
>>15426146
Blacking out means less reflection of light; expect less light at night.
>>
File: Lexus-IS_350-2011-1280-03.jpg (157KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Lexus-IS_350-2011-1280-03.jpg
157KB, 1280x960px
>>15424412
>>
>>15424412
>>15426371
I agree but sadly only the IS250 comes in a manual, but I believe it still has like 210hp and AWD as well not as much but a good combo of speed and comfort. G37s are my personal favorite, the power, the sound, and they come in a stick too and AWD. The 4th gen Acura TL would be one to look into, but you have to get one with the SH-AWD and the post facelift ones with the more toned down grille also a manual is hard to come by but not impossible. These three will give you just as much luxury and comfort for a quarter of the price of the German rivals(not considering maintenance either). They also hold their value as well especially the Lexus, while beepers and mercs really dip in resale value. Good luck
>>
File: Capture.jpg (50KB, 751x660px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
50KB, 751x660px
I'm 34 years old and what is this?
>>
>>15426453
Considering the evap canister sitting right behind it and the splash guard on it, it's probably a strange vent for the evap system.

Give it a better look, if the pipe goes in the fuel tank or in that canister, then it's definitely an evap vent
>>
>>15422759
hankook Ventus V2 Concept2
>>
>>15424490
Two years ago, I test drove a bunch of sport compacts in the 11-14k range which would maybe put most of them within your range today. Not all of these are literal hatchbacks

WRX: i drove a hawkeye hatch and really liked it and the potential it offered for being a ricer. Some people say the interiors aren't very good, but I don't really notice things like that. it works. Considered buying one, but could not find one that I liked that was unmolested or had a clean title. Also, everyone has a wrx.

Civic Si: one of the slowest (probably only faster than the SE-R) in the segment, but IMO the best driving experience. I've heard insurance on the 4 door is dirt cheap and you really don't have to worry about reliability.

GTI: is probably the best buy in terms of performance and overall quality in the hot hatch/sport compact segment around this era. Although personally, I think the gti driving experience is dull and so is the exterior. It's a good all arounder and is a pretty decent tuning platform if that matters to you.

MS3: I really liked this car. The torque steer made me pay close attention to what I was doing which is helpful because I have mad add. also looks kinda goofy which is neat.

Sentra SE-R: no.

Saturn Ion Redline: it's decently quick and fun, but why get the supercharged over the ecotech cobalt? Makes none sense.

Cobalt SS TC: did not want to be seen driving a cobalt, although this car might be the outright fastest for the money in this segment. Definitely respect gm for throwing this thing into the market, but it felt like I was driving a fast piece of junk.

Btw, I didn't buy any of them, I put the money towards a house instead. Although if I had to, I would have a tough time choosing between teh MS3 and the Si. MS3 if you're looking for power and utility, Civic Si if you want a drivers car and reliability.
>>
>>15424412
WRX
>>
>>15424490
Civic SI
>>
>>15424497
Probably you braking too hard when they are cold.

Either that or you have a Honda.
>>
>>15424913
They put a hayabusa engine in a Miata, it's called miatabusa iirc
>>
>>15425631
XJ Cherokee
>>
What will happen if I change my 170/65/14 tires/wheels to 195/50/15?
>>
>>15426448
The 250 actually doesn't feel under-powered for what it is, but if you've driven a 350 and then drive a 250, you'll certainly nit-pick the lack of power.
>>
>>15417343
I would.
>>
>>15424835
I've had 2 3rd gen preludes and that is NOT worth it. I picked up my first one for £1000 and my second for £800 and both were in great condition (and both had every added extra you could get back then)
>>
>>15415564
What will happen to my car if I run wheel adapters to widen things out a bit?
>>
I want to buy a 2013 ford exolorer. Am I dumb? What could I get instead
>>
>>15427210
A 1989 Ford Explorer.
>>
These are hilariously cheap for their power output and what seems to be a decent level of comfort, and I do like their looks. So I gotta ask, how good or bad or absolutely terrible are they really?

Further information: Here in Europe they're electronically limited to 149 mph instead of 130 mph, and our roads and stuff are downscaled so I am slightly worried about the size actually.
>>
File: ride.jpg (23KB, 438x401px) Image search: [Google]
ride.jpg
23KB, 438x401px
Can anyone explain how people put catless exhausts on their cars? Don't you need to have a cat to pass state inspection every year? Ameriburger obviously.
>>
>>15427737
Roughly half the US population live either in zip codes, counties or entire states without emissions checks, and a few more live where there are emissions checks but have their car(s) registered where there aren't. Depends entirely on your place of residence.
>>
>>15427737
There are no state inspections in South Carolina.
>>
>>15427284
You think a Seville is big?

Anyways they're shit in comparison to euro luxury models made the in the same era, manly beginning they were built for early boomer late greatest generation, set who prefer drivable couches to sport tuned suspension
>>
>>15426904
You'll wear your hubs and bearings out more quickly
>>
>>15427284
Front heavy FWD is not what you aim for, Bernd. Unless ALL you want is a V8.

They are probably the best kind of comfy, especially if you count your money but iirc those northstar V8s are shit (inside corrosion or the block cracks?) and, as European myself, I wouldn't buy it not having a fully dependable parts source.

5105 mm x 1905 mm, similar to the current Audi A8.
And forget about driving Autobahn fast, those (American market 4speed "slushboxes" IN GENERAL; mostly) ATs are not going to stand that.
>>
>>15426146
Itll make them shit as the reflectors condense the light emitted into a beam
>>
>>15425280
Get a new head unit.
>>
>>15427803
5.10 metres is fuckhuge for Euro standards. Remember the so-called Ford Fusion (Mondeo for us) counts as a large sedan here. The Seville is only rivaled in size by cars like the S-Class and 7-Series.

I'm wary of domestic luxury even though run down 90s models are similarly priced as the Caddy because repair bills on something like a Benz or Audi would bleed me dry. I'm hoping the Caddy is too simple to fail.

Also older German luxury cars have a shitskin poser image here. With an American luxury car you'll just look like a wacko that likes American cars and V8 sounds, which is infinitely preferable to looking like a shitskin.
>>
File: 1390768438132.gif (940KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1390768438132.gif
940KB, 320x240px
HEY GUYS HELP

So I'm about to go look at a 96 c4 corvette with the 6 speed lt4 engine.

Car is white with grey leather interior, power seats, engine bay looks pretty clean and the exterior looks nice. 72K on the odometer and the guy is asking 7.5k. I called him and he said the shifter boot leather is loose and there's a bad oxygen sensor. He said he's also got bad knees and can't get in and out of it anymore.

Is this too good to be true? I'm about to drive 2 hours into new york to go look at it. I don't want to waste my time.
>>
Would leaving my fully charged battery disconnected overnight and testing the voltage in the morning for a drop be a good way to test my battery for wear?
>>
>>15428460
Just take it to the local parts place they will test it for free
>>
>>15426196
check to make sure your calipers aren't loose
>be me, driving an 8 mile hell road and back
>caliper retaining clip comes off
>caliper shakes out the lower bolt
>why braking so shaky?
>get home
>discover what happen
>calipers were forced open every time i braked

>>15426224
another maxima, obviously
>>
How illegal and how hard would it be to basically have some reflective shit on my car so the assholes with brights at night blind themselves?
>>
File: evans2.jpg (141KB, 900x507px) Image search: [Google]
evans2.jpg
141KB, 900x507px
Between a Land Cruiser 90 - 92 and 93 - 97, why is there a 4 inch width difference, according to Wikipedia?
>>
>>15428718
Thanks, no clue why i didn't think to check everything
>>
File: 1455554443719.jpg (80KB, 384x864px) Image search: [Google]
1455554443719.jpg
80KB, 384x864px
What's a good project car that I can eventually daily drive and not get raped on insurance rates? I'm 20 right now, should I wait until after I turn 21 in December?
>>
File: 1458589616002.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1458589616002.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
Got a used ford explorer 1996 from a family member but the problem is when it drive it for a couple seconds it shuts off the whole engine but once I turn it on again it goes on as normal. But the noise the engine it makes when its standing still freaks me out. Theres no ticking or clanging or anything like that but its sounds normal but then it makes a like dying sound. continued
>>
>>15429605
no idea how to replicate the noise without sounding retarded but lets say the engine hum is all healthy like this (MMMMMMMMMMMMM) but randomly theres intervals where it sounds weaker like (MMmmMMMmMMmmmMmmMMMmmmMM)
>>
>>15429617
Misfiring until it dies?

Check the distributor and sparkplugs/wires. Sounds like a spark issue. Maybe fuel?
>>
File: 1403259335105.jpg (134KB, 992x832px) Image search: [Google]
1403259335105.jpg
134KB, 992x832px
Is there a point where you get experienced enough at driving to stop thinking about it, in a way?

I started driving a long time ago but only started doing it regularly and I'm still ridiculously self-conscious about my driving to the point of being nervous the day before I take my car (eg tomorrow I have an interview for a TIG gig I really want and I'm scared to death of not making it). I guess I'll be a beta pussy until my last day on this earth but I was wondering about the driving specifically.

Thanks.
>>
>>15429972
It's bad to not think about it. Complacency and not thinking about driving means crashes.
>>
>>15429545
4 Door E30.
>>
>>15428926
While probably not illegal it will probably make you look like a faggot, and won't do anything to piss off the people who leave their brights on.

You have to fight fire with fire. Get some hella fogs like rally cars use, wire it up to a kill switch.
>>
designing an exhaust system, reccommend me mufflers pls /o/

2.25" btw

what's the difference between all the different types and which one do i want?
>>
>>15429545
>I'm 20 now

Expect your rates to rise. Everyone I know, despite the fact we were with different companies, had a $10-30/month raise when renewing the policy after turning 21.

Asked my agent why and he said I'm now legally allowed to drink and therefore it's statistically more likely for me to be involved in a DUI.

I also asked why it went up after turning 22. I was told that because I've been with them for 6 years it's more likely that I'm going to file a claim. I argued I have never been pulled over for even a civil infraction.
>Well you've been with us..

Insurance companies are a god damn scam.

For awhile I didn't even put 100 miles on my car in a months time.
>Lowest I could find was $77 thru some small local company
>I had to go in every pay schedule for them to write down my odometers reading
>Went ~20 miles over one month and they dropped me

It was nice while it lasted. Went from State Farm, Sunrise something, then progressive.

So far Progressive has been nice to me.
>>
>>15430027
What car?
>>
>>15430049
peugeot 306
>>
File: Trueno.jpg (128KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
Trueno.jpg
128KB, 960x960px
>>15415564
I always see those thing that say "CR" on muscle cars and now this. What are they called and are they better than carbs/stock intakes?
>>
Should I buy this?

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/5680196210.html

Or use the money towards a down payment on a new car
>>
>>15430439
>Buying a pre-riced pos
Get something better....
>>
>>15430281
they're a type of carb made by keihin

>>15430082
does this help? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouS_LoZDS6Q
>>
Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this question, but don't want to pollute /o/ by making my own thread.

>2009 PONTIAC G5 70,000 MILES+
>service engine light
>went to dealership service center
>P00013 have to replace EXHAUST CAMSHAFT ACTUATOR SOLENOID sensor
>this repair is pretty pricy by itself but then they tell me there is "possibility" i have to fix "TIMING" chain? after initial repair and test drive which cost almost 1500+

WTF? why cant they just straight up tell me if the timing whatever is bad? Is this some kind of a scam? Am i being tinfoil or is this legit?

I might as well sell the damn car rather than repair any of that shit
>>
>>15431361
>>15430281
Theyre called ITB's
Independent Throttle Body
>>
>>15417862
Just post it on CL you nigger
>>
>>15424626
>implying you can even buy a brand new car at MSRP
>>
>>15427808
so is there a better way to gain a wider stance? I only want to come out about 25mm
>>
>>15429972
you'll stop being so nervous about it, but never stop being alert
>>
>>15425192
The only real negative about an sti is that if you don't maintain it properly you'll run the chance of blowing up your gaskets and shitting fluid everywhere if you're being a dick with an old rally car that hasn't been maintained.
since you want to learn to maintain it then you'll be fine - treat it right and it won't miss a beat. don't fuck with your turbo without strengthening your diff and rebuilding your engine, sti's are plenty fast to begin with, I've driven a WRX for the last 4 years and it's never had any issues apart from minor panel damage when I bought it which was fixed straight away anyway. the only thing you'd really worry about is they're massive cop magnets if you're always flogging it in urban areas
>>
White or modern steel metallic for the new civic?

Its the only two options as of now in my dealer. Honestly I like white but modern steel looks cool too
>>
>>15425665
Mazda won't give you. You have to get knowledge.
>>
Why don't anyone on reviews speak about the A/C in supercars?
>>
>>15431890
Steel metallic.

Looks more cooler to me too.
>>
>>15431629
stfu retard
>>
>>15426584

Thanks m8. This helped quite a bit.
>>
>>15431919
do you think its harder to maintain than white? Both looks amazing in civic honestly so Im being torn to half
>>
>>15431951
Not him. Any color other than white could be a pain the ass to maintain as scratches can be significantly seen(if it is not white).
Don't think of it as a PITA to maintain, just be cool and buy any color you like.
>>
>>15415564
Ayy

Having some steering weirdness on this new RX7 FC I got.

Steering wheel doesn't wanna go back to center, even after turning it not much. I understand this is usually a caster issue, but the caster looks fine. I increased the negative camber but just got weird twitchy steering that's dangerous as fuck on the highway in the rain. When in reverse, the steering is fucking spot on and it centers itself perfectly. The toe doesn't look like it's in at all but the reverse thing makes me think there's a shit ton of toe-in. Anyone have any ideas?
>>
File: VLC_Screenshot _30.jpg (375KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
VLC_Screenshot _30.jpg
375KB, 1366x768px
What Ford van is this?
>>
>>15432091
I like both, so thats why Im settling it with maintenance or other shit instead of feelings
>>
>>15432092
>RX7 FC I got.
memelord detected
>>
>>15432111
Then white's your best option.
>nice trips
>>
>>15415564
>get given car
>its one of only 40 left still running

what does one do with a car for witch there are no spares ?
Ive been thinking about hoarding all its unique parts then re powering it with a generic modern drive train
too worried about a rare tail lamp or window glass being broken to ever use the car atm
not that the parts cost allot it just they would take months to import
>>
>>15432175
What do you have? Just sell it to someone who has the money to have the parts rebuilt on demand, like Jay leno
>>
>>15432092
Your linkage is probably worn, or something is wrong with your steering gearbox
>>
>>15431756
Wider wheels with adequate offset.
>>
>>15432396
You think it's the rack itself? Or could bad inner tie rods produce this effect? One of them has a torn boot but that's about it.
>>
>>15432447
I would look at the tie rods first then u joint, then rack/steering box
>>
>>15432462
Thanks anon, will check.
>>
I'm going to college in Wyoming, I currently have a speed6 with just over 100k miles. I'm worried that my car might get wreckt by the salt and the cold. Should I risk it or should I leave the car at my parents and go without a car?
>>
>>15425878
That GROM is so CUTe!
>>
File: Nissan-Nv3500-Hd.jpg (846KB, 1500x938px) Image search: [Google]
Nissan-Nv3500-Hd.jpg
846KB, 1500x938px
I have some weird plans of converting a high-roof Nissan NV3500 to a camper for one or 2.
>It has a powerful 4.0L putting out some decent raw power. (5spd Auto)
>Has a near perfect cube shape so fitting things in will be much easier.
>It's a Nissan which is a Japanese company, so reliability of a good amount can be expected.
>Also an option of 4X4.

How good is my idea?
>>
If you had 20k to spend on a car what would it be and why?
>>
Why are any platform other than FWD expensive to make?
>>
File: batmobile.jpg (114KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
batmobile.jpg
114KB, 1024x768px
>>15433082
The Honda Fit

>fuel efficient
>smart rear seat folding thingy
>excellent urban maneuvering capability
>reliable
>>
Where can I watch Pre-23 Top Gear Series with rather good quality video setting?
>>
What can you buy now in Europe
> below $10K
> RWD, manual
> 6 cylinders gas
> not BMW nor Lexus IS but no rarities
>>
>>15433106
It's arguable that rwd or awd is more expensive to make than some fwd, however they are sold for more.
>>
>>15431917
Because people who own luxury cars don't spend as much time as they do in their usual DD vehicles.
>>
>>15433307
The goal would be to convert it to LPG and not care about overheating when redlining the thing (BMW on LPG).
>>
>>15431917

best question ITT

honestly though, most supercar makers sell out to big companies so that way they can use their corporate knowledge to implement stuff like A/C, headlights, efficient electrical systems, emissions testing, knobs and buttons that work, etc. that stuff is expensive to R/D but if you're Spyker or Ferrari you can just ask Audi or Fiat for a good system and engineer it around your packaging.
>>
File: image.jpg (393KB, 2143x1768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
393KB, 2143x1768px
Got a BMW E46
In this pic, all 4 doors are open but it only shows 1 door is open.

Anyone got any idea on how to fix this?

I'm thinking of disconnecting the cable that connects the electronics from the door to the car and reconnecting it to see if it will fix it.
>>
>>15433491
Looks like the switch is broken or stuck. Find the switch and push it in and out a few times, see if the light goes out and or comes on.
>>
File: patrick_star.jpg (30KB, 140x160px) Image search: [Google]
patrick_star.jpg
30KB, 140x160px
>>15425878
>SnapeTheGardenRape
>>
>>15433491
That is a pretty detailed cluster warning light.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (130KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
130KB, 1280x720px
>>15432093
There's literally only one Ford van, m8.

It's the Econoline.
your pic related is the '69-74.
>>
>>15432889
Too much weight
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (413KB, 1350x762px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
413KB, 1350x762px
hello I have some questions.

Which is the oil drain plug? From my very very basic knowledge it should be the bottom right one right?

My car is old and rusty, is it a good idea to clean the underside, is it even possible? I've seen some connectors and wires down there, I don't think dousing it with water would be a good idea.
>>
File: image.jpg (758KB, 1575x2510px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
758KB, 1575x2510px
>>15433527
Yep, this is the problem, the one on the front passenger sude works well, and when it goes all the way back it shows the door is closed.

I'll try spraying some WD-40 when I get home, if that doesn't work, then I'll have to buy new ones.
>>
File: 761122RACE Jaroszewicz.jpg (94KB, 800x418px) Image search: [Google]
761122RACE Jaroszewicz.jpg
94KB, 800x418px
>>15415564
What Alfa 159 version should I aim to buy? I would get a 3.2 if it wasn't for the atrocious fuel economy, so what's the best alternative?
>>
>>15433818
One is your transmission drain plug the other ie your engines the fact you can't tell a difference between the two means you should not attempt changing your oil
>>
File: IMG_20160713_154445.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160713_154445.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>15433848
trust me I won't even attempt it until I've done a ton more research. I'm learning right now, I've already learned so much about cars, mostly the engine bay itself, but now I'm going to focus on learning what things do on the underside.

also really shitty picture, but I think this is the fuel pump in the bracket.
>>
>>15433847
If any 159, diesel 159. Even a great diesel is still diesel but if you HAVE to aim for Alfa, let it be a running Alfa.
>>
File: rebairs XD.jpg (2MB, 3414x1921px) Image search: [Google]
rebairs XD.jpg
2MB, 3414x1921px
>>15433881
Don't woreay

I've owned this as my first car for ~a year and a half now. Crashed it once and fixed it and made it better. Have done my interior, first audio-install, first timing belt job, first everything within a little over a year. Today I installed headlight-washer system from another similar car I took apart, straightened my door. It was a ~5 hour job, give or take some shitbreaks.

It's fucking annoying some times, a bit expensive, but rewarding as tits.

It all starts from the small things, those build the courage to jump into some more challenging stuff.
>>
Is it possible to only transfer a car title to my name without registering the vehicle till later?
>>
File: 00404_dctUUphv4R0_1200x900.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
00404_dctUUphv4R0_1200x900.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
How hard would it be to replace the fender and bumper without any car knowledge? Or maybe a repair estimate
>>
File: IMG_701.jpg (490KB, 1680x945px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_701.jpg
490KB, 1680x945px
>>15434459
Depends on car. I say it was easy, maybe two to three hours the first time around. It's just unscrewing stuff until it comes apart, really.
>>
File: rallysmh.jpg (353KB, 1482x1014px) Image search: [Google]
rallysmh.jpg
353KB, 1482x1014px
>>15434459
>repair estimate
call a local auto body shop, prices vary by region
>hard to do
super easy, get some good parts from a junkyard, rattlecan respray, and bolt them on
>bonus: taking them off a donor car will teach you how to re-install them

>>15434024
>your state may vary
For commiefornia you need to inform the dmv within a few days of either buying or selling the vehicle, and the previous owners registration status will carry over
>in short you are responsible for the previous owners registration status, be it non-op'd or late fees due

>>15432698
>getting anywhere in Wyoming without a car
just wash the bottom off at a car wash periodically and get some good snow chains

>>15431579
>short answer
you car is fuk'd and you should sell it
>long answer
it's legit, camshaft sensors detect when the vehicle is mis-timed (such as if the timing chain has jumped some teeth) and this possibly would require a new timing chain, which would require a tear-down of the engine, which i would guestimate easily at 6-8 hours of labor
>>
>>15415564
does anyone know where the dip stick goes on a 79 trans am? Mine is a 403 6.6 liter and I lost the actual dip stick and can't find the hole it's supposed to go into.
>>
>>15433818
What's the car?
>>
File: PHOTO_9183098_31710_12437713_ap.jpg (320KB, 1495x1884px) Image search: [Google]
PHOTO_9183098_31710_12437713_ap.jpg
320KB, 1495x1884px
1) I bought my car (model 2007) last year May and did a change of ownership smog check.
Last week i received a DMV registration renewal notice telling me "Smog Certification Required.. take this notice to a smog check station".
Is this an error since smog is done every 2 years?

I also had check engine light yesterday, did the fix and reset the battery.

2)The smog guy tells me i need to drive on the freeway for about 40 miles at 65-70 miles without braking too much and come back tomorrow for the smog check. Is this the accerlated process to relearn ECU as oppose to normal driving for a week?
>>
>>15434459
no idea, i did it on my car to replace the hood cable and it never fit right again
>>
So the bolts to the wheel hub are frozen in place.

After working two out I rounded the head on the last one. Everything in the front end has been soaking in pb blaster for the last two weeks.

Could I cut the head off and slide the hub off of the remaining stud and then clamp vice grips on it and continue to work it off?
>>
Silly question: is there an infographic on jack points? I know where to put it, but every time I do it I'm scared I'm wrong.
>>
>>15435457
I realize a sentence will explain all I need to know but I like pictures.
>>
File: 20151228_085608.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20151228_085608.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
>>15435306
It's not relearning anything, there are monitors that need to see what they want to see to ensure your emissions control systems are working correctly, once they are set your car will pass smog. If you want to make sure they set find a drive cycle for your car, it's supposed to just simulate regular driving but not everyone drives in such a way to get some monitors to pass. Here's an example of what it will look like. I don't know about the paperwork part, sounds like you should call them.
>>
If I open up my FWD transaxle housing, do I need to reapply sealant to the housing and reapply loctite to the bolts?
>>
>>15434878
Sorry for the late. 1996 Volvo 960.
>>
>>15424674
>rims
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 600x400px
What does /o/ think about the smaller mustang upgrades such as under drive pulleys, throttle bodies, and etc? A friend of mine told me not to waste my money on a twin 62mm throttle body for my '10 GT and that it wouldn't do much of anything. What's the consensus on the small time HP boosters?
>>
>>15435577
It's the bottom right picture.

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/1996/1996_960/96960_806.htm

as a source.
>>
>>15435714
Oh good, I've been looking for a diagram for the oil filter too.

looks like it's on it's side, that'll be fun.
>>
>>15415592
probably was burning the fuel to "effeciently" compared to what it was before.
Took the computer time to catch up to the new AFR
>>
The camshaft sensor simply senses when the camshaft has turned a complete revolution, and tells the ecu so.
aka the intake camshaft is at this point, so we need to squirt fuel into "x" cyclinder in .00x secs.
They are super easy to change out, usually on the end of the valve cover, which is the large rectangle metal piece in the center of the engine bay.
Look for sensors that are in the four corners of the valve cover, down maybe 2-4 inches below the surface of the valve cover, on the sides of the engine.
They are usually held in by a single bolt, 10mm to be precise, and there's nothing special about replacing them.
Unbolt, remove, replace, tighten down.
Most times, there is no further need action.
>>
>>15435814
This was for this post
>>15431579
>>
>>15435671
Also to piggyback off of my initial question. What are considered the "standard" upgrades for a mustang. My thought was: CAI, throttle body, under drive pully, headers, x/h pipe, tips, tune. Am I missing anything?
>>
Is harbor freight the best place to buy jacks and jacks stands?
>>
>>15435888
basically.
The best deterrent to a shitty jack falling on you is a shitty jack stand haha.
You're good.
>>
Easy way to remove weathering from the plastic on the outside of my car?
>>
>>15435935
you mean like discoloration, falling apart paint?
>>
>>15435949
It just looks faded and grey instead of black.
>>
>>15436011
there are chemicals for restoring black trim panels.
Try that, and if that doesnt solve it, tape off the car REALLY, REALLY good, lightly sand the panels(i suggest doing all related panels at the same time) and repray with deicated trim panel paint.
Not real hard to do, just make sure you tape off the car right.
Expect 80% of the job will be preparing the panels for paint rather than just taping up real quick and spraying.
I harp on this because it truly IS worth the time/effort/materials to do it the right way the first time.
You do it correctly, carefully, then the paint on the panels will outlast the car.
>>
>>15435500
I live in California if that matters. I know we got strict smog regulations.
The smog guy i went to says it was no error. I have to get it smog checked. The one from May lasy year was a change of ownership so it doesnt count. He seems honest. Id call another smog guy and ask for 2nd opinion but im sure theyd say that i need it. Just making sure with /o/
>>
>>15436070
Thanks.
>>
>>15435935
you can use heat with a hairdryer, however something like plasticare works well
>>
I recently took off my front lisense plate holder from my 1990 miata (WA), and found that there's a lovely dent in my bumper from the past owners bumping into stuff. What I want to know is how do I take out the dent?

Unrelated to the above, I'm also tossing around the idea of grabbing a Rx7 FC for 1,200 (needs a engine rebuild).
>>
>>15437054
suction cup? hammer and dolly? prayer?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160708-121450.jpg (199KB, 1017x359px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160708-121450.jpg
199KB, 1017x359px
>>15437054
Here's what I'm up against.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
65KB, 1280x720px
How do i remove a fuse from my 2004 Camry, I pulled real hard with the clip and the little guy wouldn't budge.
pic is not my Camry.
>>
I'm looking at a Mazda 3 with low kms at a very good price tomorrow. It has the 2.3.

Anyone have experience with this car/engine? Apparently it can develop serious oil consumption issues for unknown reasons.
>>
Is it viable to repair a bad A/C compressor rather than replacing it?
>>
>>15438087
If you don't know what the fuck your doing and trying to repair it no.
>>
>>15437646
Wiggle it as you pull out,
>>
>>15435457
It depends on what car you have but generally under the cross member, rear diff and factory jack points are the only acceptable places to jack.
>>
Help br/o/s. This morning on the way to work, going from a complete stop, I gave my truck gas and the engine picked up RPMs but the transmission didnt engage for about 2 seconds. Any ideas? Is it fucked?
>>
>>15436070
There's another alternative, using a heat gun to refinish trim panels
>>
>>15437099
Plastic bumper? Could use the old hot water trick, but if it's been there awhile it might not work,
>>
>>15438127
Check your transmission fluid level and see what color it is
>>
>>15438137
Its red. Levels seemed okay. Any ideas?
>>
>>15438164
Did you check it while it was running and in park? Dark red or clear red?

It the levels are fine then it maybe a solenoid or something internal in the transmission
>>
>>15438177
Dark red. And oh okay. How big of a fix for those? Thanks by the way.
>>
Whoa, which dash is this??
>>
>>15435553
If there was loctite on the bolts, then yes, clean them up properly and reapply the glue.

Same deal for the sealant
>>
>>15432407
Cheers senpai, didn't want to ruin my suspension, now i've gotta shop for some wheels that I like
>>
>>15433082
A 2004-07 WRX because they're fun as fuck
>>
>>15438179
Bump
>>
What do you think of the Nissan Juke? I like the design, the interior and it looks like it handles pretty decent. Right now I'm in a Tc and I like it but i'm looking for something a little more fun.
>>
>>15438195
Whatever older (pre 2002 or so) Saab model with Night Panel mode on. Great, isn't it?
>>
>I could just google this but
Anyone in the US import anything from canada? I want a skyline and they're sitting like an hour away over the border. How shitty is it to title and register them?
>>
>>15439292
My guess (I have no actual knowledge, sorry), if it's got shorter, Japanese VIN = no chance for getting it road legal.
>>
>>15423192
'vette
>>
File: 1452673889068.jpg (83KB, 574x413px) Image search: [Google]
1452673889068.jpg
83KB, 574x413px
>>15438735
>>
what the hell are you supposed to use for coolant in a 2000 3.1 L Malibu if the orange stuff rapes all the gaskets

I fucking hate this car
>>
>>15440050
Flush the dexcool out and use normal coolant. I guess you can continue to run Dexcool. Not like GM is going to recall it anyways. GM should have went under. It's complete bullshit they didn't.

You're going to be doing intake gaskets for sure anyways. Wouldn't be surprised if it was already leaking.

>Just did the gaskets on my 4.3
>>
File: 00806082.gif (914KB, 200x113px) Image search: [Google]
00806082.gif
914KB, 200x113px
>>15440232

pls no
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 68

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.