[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DO YOU EVEN SHIFT?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12

File: doyouevenshift.jpg (61KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
doyouevenshift.jpg
61KB, 720x480px
DO YOU EVEN SHIFT?
>>
File: poll.jpg (39KB, 837x809px) Image search: [Google]
poll.jpg
39KB, 837x809px
>>14127771
http://strawpoll.me/6384287
>>
>but I only have two feet

>not having a monstrous dick to do the job
>>
Why would I arbitrarily use an outdated automotive technology that has no determinable benefit over an Automatic transmission? Is it solely to gain the approval of some people on an anonymous Chinese image board? If so, that is not a very valid reason to hinder my driving experience.
>>
>>14127786
I don't know man. My clock pushup game is too weak to work the pedals with muH Dick
>>
>using the clutch to shift
>>
>>14127791
Everything has a trade off. Torque converters and CVTs have power loss and much less fine control. Dual clutches are expensive and only on newer expensive cars. Manuals and gear-chooser-modes (but still moreso manuals) also allow you to save fuel for reasons I doubt I should explain, and manual is more fun, and when a driver has to shift (bro) he's less likely to do something distracting, and if he is, the transmission holds that much more attention to the road. I have never driven a manual. I drove an automatic Honda accord most recently, and all I wanted to do was pretend it was manual as I drove. To be fair if I could select out of all six gears instead of R, 1-5, 1-3, 2, and 1, it'd be nice, but I still like the concept of a clutch, even if driving uphill is a pain.
>>
>>14127830
>I have never driven a manual.
And that's why you think it offers anything.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>14127819
+1
>>
File: Paddle.jpg (40KB, 450x266px) Image search: [Google]
Paddle.jpg
40KB, 450x266px
Does this count?

Also
>>14127791
>An anonymous Chinese image board

+1 just for that, heh.
>>
>>14127851
>8 speed
-1 :(
>>
>>14127854
What the fuck. So you have to pull? Nigger what this is dumb ass shit
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>14127874
>10spd
>>
File: image.jpg (88KB, 584x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88KB, 584x600px
>>14127791
>Why would I arbitrarily use an outdated automotive technology that has no determinable benefit over an Automatic transmission?

I have both, sure the automatic is nice to cruise around and laze without much thinking but I feel less connected and involved with the vehicle than my manual car.

When I drive my manual, I'm always engaged with the vehicle, making decisions on when and how to shift, to predict speeds and shift accordingly. It's awesome, makes me feel more focused while driving than my auto car. I also rarely use my brakes in my manual, in my auto I'm constantly using my brakes, it seems wasteful.

> Is it solely to gain the approval of some people on an anonymous Chinese image board

Nope, I own nice things and I find other people with the same interests as me. I drive my manual cause I enjoy it, not for approval from some one who I will never meet or care for.
>>
>>14127891
oh.. thats not too bad then i guess, but nice to have 13+
>>
>>14127898
>I feel less connected and involved with the vehicle than my manual car.
muh feelins
>>
>>14127899
I could see the 13spd being useful if the trucks went outside of a 50mi radius and there were actually hills.

I would never want an 18spd unless I was pulling 150k lbs out of some pit mine or something. Seems useless for normal driving.
>>
>>14127908
nice to have 13+ if you get on the freeway at all. also you dont have to use the extra gears all the time if you dont want to. can drive 18 speed like an 8 speed, its just nice to have the splits available, especially on the high side
>>
>>14127885
Pull toward you, you tard
>>
>>14127819
There was a period of about two weeks where I only used the clutch when it was necessary more or less. Like getting going, not wanting to keep the traffic from waiting my revs to go down.
>>14127832
Well it does, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can't make you think manual is better when you know what you are doind, and it is not a chore, and makes you feel more connected with everything around you.
And if I ever have just one car again I will want it to be manual.
>>
File: IMG_20151228_105609623.jpg (4MB, 5248x2952px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151228_105609623.jpg
4MB, 5248x2952px
>>14127908
Start in 3rd overdrive run it out and skip into 5th direct. That's my favorite way to get going while empty. I agree 18 is overkill tho.
Hi pf
>>
>>14127771
I know how to drive shift.

Anyway most people who drive shifts don't do it well and as a result It consumes more fuel then a Automatic.
want the car to upshift at Automatic transmission?, just let of the gas a little bit and you will notice the car upshift and drive more eco.
>>
>>14127791
Because its fun
>>
>>14127771
24 y/o here. I drove stick from 18 till 23. Have been driving automatic from 23 till now and I won't ever go back.
>>
>>14127901
Why else would someone be an enthusiast if not for how the car feels to drive?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1451084929006.jpg (9KB, 420x215px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1451084929006.jpg
9KB, 420x215px
Shift on my level, faggots.
>>
>>14128579
Lol someone got cucked.
>>
>>14127898

>I'm a unqiue individual
>I don't care what people on here think.
>I post smug anime picture.
>To fit in
>and get attention.
>>
>>14128579
no one gives a shit what some faggot who drove a honda for 4 years thinks
>>
File: 1451116329724.png (12KB, 150x222px) Image search: [Google]
1451116329724.png
12KB, 150x222px
>>14127791
>>
File: 8519458166141 .jpg (18KB, 184x244px) Image search: [Google]
8519458166141 .jpg
18KB, 184x244px
>driving with friend around in manuel
>park on the side of a hill, leave it in 1st, put on parking break
>'Anon, don't you want to put it in park? You can't leave it in drive"
>mfw
>>
File: student_shift_pattern-150x150.png (41KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
student_shift_pattern-150x150.png
41KB, 150x150px
>>14128946
Bitch please
>>
>>14129436
Nigga, at least mine is real and what I run daily.
>>
>>14129401

Be sure not to be a cunt though. Explain it to him so he's not ignorant.
>>
>>14129520
I said that there is no park on a manual, just the gears, neutral, and reverse.
I told him that that's why it's called a "parking brake", and I left it in drive so it won't roll back as easily if the PB failed
>>
>>14127830
Base model Hyundai Veloster has a dual clutch automatic.

There's a popular song about "Times Changing" or something. I believe Bob Dylan or Stevie Wonder sings it...
>>
>>14129575

Good on you. As long as that was enough for him to get it, that's great. I can picture too many people just saying "that's how manuals work" and be done with it. Though it wouldn't surprise me if he'd still be confused. Most folks I know are so ignorant to ANYTHING manual related. Hell even a coworker said that he would be afraid to try it because he doesn't know when to shift. It's odd that people even question this. Before I learned, I just assumed it would come naturally, like pretty much every aspect of driving and automatic.

I'd like to teach someone manual. Not sure how qualified I am as a teacher, but I'd like to see.

>stop rambling, tripfag
>>
>>14129634
I offer to teach people, but they usually say that it seems too complicated for them, and their autos work fine for them. I'll say that it's really not that hard, just takes a little bit of practice, and if they still don't want to after that I'll give up.
>>
>>14129663

I'm not sure why there is this belief that manuals are difficult. It's the common belief, from what I've seen. I mean come on, there are teenage girls across Europe doing it just fine.

At least you offer to teach them. Maybe some day you'll have a protege you can take under your wing. You can teach them all about how engine braking is based and how to rev match and so on.
>>
hello reddit
>>
>>14129689
>>>/tv/
>>
>>14127791
I drive mostly for pleasure and it's like a ritual that doesn't feel complete without the shifting part.
Also older cars which are the only ones within my reach have shitty automatics that make the car burn more fuel and are harder and more expensive to fix than a manual tranny.
Also fuck off, I like shifting. I can't even drive automatic because I've never owned an automatic car.
>>
>>14128579
24 years old,hub
I'll take your advice,there's no way you don't have it all figured out by now.
>>
>>14129733
>I can't even drive an automatic
I feel like I've stepped into the twilight zone
>>
>>14127898
That's all true but doesnt engine braking put stress on the clutch? Wouldn't it be cheaper to replace breaking pads?
>>14128986
You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>14129743
I've driven my friend's Explorer for 5 minutes and my parents' friend's Forester for 10 minutes. I think I can feel free to say that with so little experience. On top of that, automatics are not exactly popular in Poland, at least from my small town experience.
>>
>>14129747

Engine braking itself shouldn't affect the clutch. Your clutch only gets wear when you press the pedal. So you may get an even less than negligible affect on clutch by downshifting, but that's of no more concern than the wear of any other shift. The engine braking itself is natural for a manual. It is not harming the vehicle.
>>
File: DSC_0367.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0367.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Yes actually I do sometimes if I feel like wringing it out
>>
>>14129780
Allright, I wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying. I actually put it in neutral for breaking.
>>
is stalling on newer cars less of a big deal?
I stalled on a newer focus and I hardly realized it all I'm used to car jolting to a stop to tell me. also I grinded the gears on accident and it didn't sound like was hurting the car that bad.
>>
>>14130129

You're missing out, doing that. Quite often, I can just let off the gas and let engine braking slow me down, instead of using the brakes. I love it. And I can just downshift (and rev match, as always), to get even stronger engine braking of a lower gear. It's one of the benefits of a manual that I appreciate daily.
>>
>>14130184
Depends on the car. Some have anti stall programmed into the ECU. Some have firmware that shuts down the engine at low rpm and won't re start till you turn the key off and on again (ford).
>>
That feel when you THINK you stalled because car lurched, but didn't, and you turn the key for a horrible grind.
>>
>>14130299
Could you not still hear the engine?
>>
>>14129712
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>14130321
Not really, I instantly reached for key.
>>
>>14127791
>Why would I arbitrarily use an outdated automotive technology that has no determinable benefit over an Automatic transmission
Fun.

You'll come to miss manual shifting.
>>
That's when I show bitches my third leg
>>
>>14127771
Not anymore. Finally got too old to care. Got a 4x4 truck with an auto, got rid of the "fun" car.
>>
>>14127908
I heard porches had some 24 speeds that were pretty nifty.
>>
I'm a broke-ass European driving a shitbox. So yes, yes I do. I used to doubt it's as much fun as the folks saying it's more fun than automatics, but after getting back in my shitbox after driving my mother-in-law's automatic, I've gotta say the manual is a whole lot more fun.
>>
>>14131369
What's fun about it?
>>
>>14131382
As has been said above I feel a little more engaged with the driving, and anything that keeps me more in touch with what I'm doing when I'm dragging almost 2 tonnes of pig iron around (that being the shitbox itself, not a trailer) is probably a good thing.

And at risk of sounding like an Alfa Romeo, it feels like it's got a little more soul to the whole driving experience, like you're more of a part of it.

Plus, lousy experience with some bad autos. The ratios seem all wrong. They shift down way too late when you need power, and fuel efficiency seems to go out the window if you change altitude (did a road trip from Arkansas to NM in the mother-in-law's thing), whereas the manual had no problem crossing the French and Italian Alps, mostly because I had more control over shifting down to get a little more grunt.
>>
>>14131423
Alfa Romeo salesman*
>>
>>14131423
Yeah, that's pretty much all bullshit. My first car was stick, the next 15 were only peppered by about 3 autos, all blown off. After 20 years, finally realized it's all bullshit. You're not connected, you're obligated. Maybe if you are on the track constantly, but you're not. You're sitting in traffic blipping the throttle, going nowhere, wearing out your clutch. Even if you're in the track, you're not a pro driver, auto would work fine.
>>
>>14131495
Really can't argue with the clutch bit on that. And obligated is actually a pretty good word for what I called being engaged with driving, I guess it's a matter of perspective for me, but I can't say you're wrong. Maybe in twenty years I'll share your opinion, but right now the "obligation/engagement/whatever" in driving a manual is fun for me.
>>
>>14129464
You drive a manual truck? i thought all long haulers were auto
>>
>>14131614
Lots of company trucks are auto. For our "Bulk" truck, like 1/2 are 10spd (the KWs and Freightliners) but all of the newer (<5yrs old) Internationals are autotragic. But it is only a recent thing that the autos are becoming reliable enough and less expensive for the companies to run I think.
>>
>>14131628
Yeah, but still, i thought since most giant trucks would spend less than 5 seconds in any gear while accelerating, and due to being so many gears, even old ones would rather have automatics
>>
>>14131641
>even old ones would have automatics
Ehh, I don't think many truckers and companies would trust the autos 10+ years ago. An automatic transmission is def one of the weak links on trucks with 1800lbft of torque that do 3,000mi+ a week and they can't be fixed in a couple hours at any shop like lots of stuff on those trucks.

And even the automatic transmissions in modern 18 wheelers are basically 10spd+ manuals but are shifted with the computer. Just like all those DSG and PDK etc... If you ever drive one, they are strange.

Tfag would know more about the history for sure. I'm not a real trucker.
>>
>>14131679
I am talking mostly based on the fact that in my country most buses for like the last 20 years have been automatics
>>
>>14131702
Busses have so much stop and go traffic anyway. Our little bay trucks have been automatic for a long time (MY98 have a 6spd) because we drive them 4 blocks and stop again. I guess the ease of that outweighs the reliablity of the manuals. Plus they are only running 7L-9L engines, so not quite as much torque. Busses run similar engines. Not nearly as much weight as a full semi truck.

Our US OTR trucks do 400mi on the open highway, and then 10mi in the city. Between cost and reliability, might as well put that 13spd in it. Plus the comfort of being able to engine brake on the mountains without a computer getting in the way. Plus dat gas mileage with all those gears adds up.
>>
>>14127771
Of course, but now it's story time. One time I had to do a project for class, was a group project. Got done, dropped off one guy, hey man I know you drive an auto and you want to learn manual so I'll teach you man. All he talks about. Thanks anon, so I drive him to a parking lot late at night and begin practice. I've never taught anyone, he was my first apprentice but I want everyone to learn so fuck it you can burn my clutch idc. We get going I show the basics "alright let off clutch slowly keep consistent on gas" ok anon. going super slow now "alright man, youre starting to burn up the clutch what you want to do is let out a little faster. at that point he was like ohshitniggerimfuckinguphiscar.jpg eventually he started and stopped bretty gud so it's only getting later. end of lesson he got it down for such a short time just went over basics. "alright man no one else will let you do this but i feel every one should have the experience" "im going to teach you to do a burnout" he was a little hesitant because he was good guy didnt want to mess up my car "dont be bashful ill teach you" "clutch in, rev, no more rev, more rev bro dont worry, drop clutch" he did and got a little tire spin nothing major because he let the clutch out instead of dropping and was at 3k rpm "alright that was ok but now its time for the real deal, clutch in, rev, no dude fucking rev, 6krpm/7k redline max, now when you drop the clutch just fucking drop it none of that slow off bullshit" you sure anon "obviously, so drop completely" he got a bretty gud one out and the lesson was finished as his face lit up with joy. thanks anon. "no prob man i feel everyone should learn" then i went home
>>
>>14131382
>>14131423
>>14131495
It's like trying to convince a gay guy that fucking girls is better. Some things are and some things aren't. Either we enjoy manual or we're too poor to decide between manual or auto. Period.
>>
>>14131614
My boss prefers manual to auto due to simplicity of rebuild and longevity. New trucks are almost exclusively autotragic due to fuel economy. It's more of a concern for larger companies who can save millions of dollars a month by a 3mpg increase per truck. I personally hate the autos, they never seem to shift when it's most beneficial.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.