[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I bought a used extended cab van and I would like to install

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0148.jpg (3MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0148.jpg
3MB, 5184x3456px
I bought a used extended cab van and I would like to install new carpet in the cab, but I'm not too sure how I would go about doing that.

I bought some cheap indoor/outdoor carpet.
A rough measurement of the cab is 6.5' x 11'.
I was thinking about taking cardboard and shaping it to the cab and use it as a template for a layer of wood.
Then shape out the carpet leaving extra length to wrap around the edge of the wood and then nailing it down.
Does anyone have any other ideas or advice?
>>
haggard garage go away
>>
>>14031838
Googled "haggard garage"
Found youtube channel
Didn't help
>>
Wouldn't nail anything to the floor op you would just end up messing something up. I would put some automotive carpeting down.
>>
>>14031878
I meant folding the carpet over and under the edge and then nailing it to the wood itself. Then just lay the carpet covered wood on the floor. It shouldn't slide anywhere if I shape it right and due to the weight of the wooden boards.
>>
I was at home depot the other day and they have some pretty cheap wooden boards but I would have to buy 3 of them.
Then cut them to shape.
I was thinking about doing puzzle cuts on it help secure each board to one another. Nothing fancy. Just a triangle cut out of one then wood glued to the one next to it.
>>
Also some sort of spray or liquid to protect the wood from corrosion.
I would like the wood to be easily removable just in case I feel like running wiring under it.
>>
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1154517,parttype,1264

literally took me under a minute
>>
>>14031894
Use some 1/2" plywood, glue carpet pad on it for muh comfy stretch carpet and screw a 1x2" board moulding around the edge, trim excess carpet. Glue a layer of r tech foam board insulation to the bottom, install with a few screws so it doesn't kill you in a rollover.

You can fir in the rest of the fan with foam board and thin veneer to be comfy and suppress road noise.
>>
>>14031934
Thanks. Never even seen these before.
But unfortunately I don't want to drop that much money on it.
I just want something simple.
I was thinking about using this plywood.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Underlayment-Common-7-32-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Actual-0-196-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-431178/203183010
>>
>>14031832
>I was thinking about taking cardboard and shaping it to the cab and use it as a template for a layer of wood.
this

the rest isnt good at all

use staples, theirs a special stapler for that too
>>
>>14031968
That will be too flimsy,

>Not even .25 in.
>>
>>>/diy/
>>
File: 20151122_142941.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20151122_142941.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>14031989
Ok. Agreed. Any suggestions about some form of sealant to protect it?

Pic: This was right after I pulled out the old carpet and before I started scrubbing it down.
>>
>>14032032
Should of rotated first. Sorry about your neck.
>>
>>14031832
You are going to hav to put in some plywood to put the carpet in properly. It will never fit right if you try to put carpet on bare metal hoping for the best.
>>
>>14032032
the wood? wood sealer.. use something that's non-toxic VOC free.
>>
>>14032032
I use Thompson wood sealer on my outdoor projects, works good. Any wood sealer should be fine.
>>
>>14032050
OK. Cool.

For my next question. Since I have to buy the plywood in pieces should I cover, cut, then staple the carpet to each individual piece of plywood or should I cut the carpet as one big piece and find a way of stapling it to all 3 pieces of plywood? (run-on sentence)
>>
>>14032072
It will be easier to clean if its in one piece.
>>
>>14032072
Something like
>>14031965
The trim will make it one piece.and hold the carpet.
>>
you should just buy the replacement carpet.. its only $180 for the cargo area.

youre gonna spend $100 anyway on plywood, sealer, carpet, stapler, etc.
>>
The type of carpet I bought.
I know it's cheap, but I'm not looking for anything to pricey. and plus there's a lifetime warranty on it when I bought it.
The employee said people mainly use these for their boats.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Elevations-Color-Sky-Grey-Ribbed-Indoor-Outdoor-12-ft-Carpet-7PD5N660144H/203240740
>>
>>14032094
the replacement carpet is just the carpet.
I need some sort of support under it as well.
>>
>>14032094
If I could I would like to buy the carpet for the just the wheel sections since I have no idea on how to shape carpet like that.
>>
>>14032093
Or two thin layers with offset joints bonded together
>>
>>14032113
One trapazoid for the side and a strip over the top. Stitch together with a carpet needle. Spray glue it down
>>
>>14032092
>>14032093
I agree. It would look a lot nicer too.
I could cut the plywood to shape. see if it fits in the cargo area. Sand it down to size.
Then piece the plywood together outside and cover it with the carpet. Staple it down.
the pieces should be able to fold together so i can unfold it in the van.
>>
>>14032134
The amount of carpet I bought was 12' x 7'.
I would probably have some left over carpet to just do that. Thanks, man!
>>
>>14032142
You only need two sheets with 1 foot trimmed off the top of both and 1 cut in half lengthwise to make 12x7
>>
>>14031832

Glue it directly to the steel floor. That way dirt and water can't get under the carpet or the wood and rot out your floorboards.
>>
>>14032214
That's what the wood sealer is for.
Or I can go cheap and just use a coat of waterproof
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.