[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The crack in this Antarctic ice shelf just grew by 11 miles.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

File: antarctic ice shelf.jpg (55KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
antarctic ice shelf.jpg
55KB, 750x422px
Hi guys. It's [almost] time to panic. At least it will finally [hopefully] shut up the creationist flatearther climate change deniers.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-antarctic-ice-shelf-crack-20170107-story.html

>The crack in this Antarctic ice shelf just grew by 11 miles. A break could be imminent

>An enormous rift in one of Antarctica's largest ice shelves grew dramatically over the past several weeks, and a chunk nearly the size of Delaware could break away within months, British scientists reported this week.

>If this happens, it could accelerate a further breakup of the ice shelf, essentially removing a massive cork of ice that keeps some of Antarctica's glaciers from flowing into the ocean. The long term result, scientists project, could be to noticeably raise global sea levels by 10 centimeters, or almost four inches.
>>
the ice grew so much it's going to break

this is a sign of a heating planet, how?

I bet that chunk will cool the oceans pretty gud.
>>
>>97910
There is already a thread about this
>>97507
>>
>>97914
Can't delete. Anyway, that thread is very bad.
>>
>>97913
>I bet that chunk will cool the oceans pretty gud.
moving ice cubes around your cup doesn't cool your water
>>
https://video-images.vice.com/articles/58711bd4a3583323925623ec/lede/LarsenC_photo_2016315_lrg.jpg

wow just look at it
>>
It would be awesome if they could do a time lapse of it.
>>
>>97913
One broke off in 2002 and just melted completely.
>>
>>97930
ice does cool water though... I made iced tea today.

can you make another analogy?
>>
>>97942
He's saying that once it's already in your iced tea, moving an ice cube from one part of your glass to the other, will not cause your iced tea to get any colder than it would have if you hadn't moved that ice cube from one part of your glass to the other. Is that clear enough now?

>>97937
Ice as far as the eye can see in every direction. I can't even tell which side of the rift is supposed to be the breakaway part.
>>
>>97954
no.

water cools things off. melting ice (adding water) will lower the temp of the cup.
>>
>>97956
You are being retarded on purpose.
>>
>>97958
ok. so the earth would be hotter with more water?

I thought I was the science denier.
>>
>>97910
If we're really lucky it'll all drop at once, creating a massive worldwide tsunami that kills us all instantly.
Too bad our god is not a merciful one.
>>
We wont even talk about how water expands when it freezes...
>>
>>97910
Btw, use the fucking catalog, you are 2 days late.
>>
>>97960
It's not big enough for that unfortunately, if the entire western (?) ice shelf fell into the sea then the global sea level would rise 1.5 - 2m and would be accompanied by a pretty big wave, but the jury is out on whether that's even possible or not
>>
Welp, breakoff estimate?
>>
>>97959
No he's right in the sense that moving your ice around in your glass,
or having a chunk of ice move around in the ocean is going to cause it melt faster and as such cool the ocean,
for a time, after that temps will go back up and higher than before.
>>
>>98047
>after that temps will go back up and higher than before
Why do you think this?

It's pretty stupid since Earth's history shows constantly rising and falling temperatures.

You are now denying basic science and history.
>>
>>98052
Albedo. Ice reflects most of the sunlight, molten water absorbs it.
>>
>>98054
Considering our reflective ice is at the worst spot on Earth for reflecting heat, the water may be more useful in liquid or gas form.

Also I'm pretty sure "molten water" doesn't absorb anything. Not that boiling oceans are an issue, ???
>>
"creationist flatearther climate change deniers"
Not that I'm any of these three, but these three do not go together for the vast majority of people. There are climate change deniers who believe in evolution. There are creationists who believe in climate change. There are very few creationists or climate changer deniers who believe that the earth is flat. I'm writing from the US, and there is no way for society to survive much longer as a democracy if we continue to engage in efforts to demonize the other, misrepresent the other, and we lack genuine curiosity and interest in learning about the other. I know this isn't the main point of the news article, but it is in direct response to the opening commentary on that article.
>>
>>98064
It still decreases the amount of radiation reflected back to the space, thus contributing to the global warming. Oh, and H2O is a greenhouse gas as well.
>>
>>98064

the oceans are colder than the atmosphere, because warmer water evaporates off the surface when humidity is < 100%.

most of the recent temperature increase due to greenhouse effect has been borne by our oceans due to vertical heat transfer from our atmosphere.

http://www.sksforum.org/image.php?t=10894&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.skepticalscience.com%2Fgraphics%2FNuccitelli_OHC_Data.jpg

as oceans continually approach thermal equilibrium with warmer atmosphere, atmospheric temperature will accelerate (the rate of increase itself will increase).

by then of course we'll already have gone a long way to fucking our ecosystems since they're inextricably connected with marine biome, and warmer water temperatures are more conducive to off-season algal blooms which are toxic to coral.
>>
>>98011
It says 'a few months'. Assuming under a year. That's soon
>>
>>98080
>H2O is a greenhouse gas as well
It is has a cooling effect, overall. Look it up if you don't believe me.

>>98083

>as oceans continually approach thermal equilibrium with warmer atmosphere, atmospheric temperature will accelerate (the rate of increase itself will increase).

We'll see. Of course you understand why I don't listen to climatology predictions anymore.

>by then of course we'll already have gone a long way to fucking our ecosystems since they're inextricably connected with marine biome, and warmer water temperatures are more conducive to off-season algal blooms which are toxic to coral.

Please give the fragile ecosystem line a rest. The Earth is not fragile. Animals and other species are constantly going extinct.

We have more co2 now, so things that eat co2 will thrive.

I really don't see the doomsday scenario. Why do you people think co2 and heat will spread out of control and never stop? It's bizarre.
>>
>>98103
>The Earth is not fragile. Animals and other species are constantly going extinct.

This is not convincing. You are accepting an extreme risk with our biosphere's future (that includes us) in order to reduce energy prices for now.
>>
>>98106
How is it a risk? the Earth's history suggests it will transition from hot to cold over and over.

There is 0% chance the Earth will get hot and stay hotter.
>>
>>98108

How much would you sacrifice today to avoid your children being inundated with hundreds of millions of refuges fleeing desertification and rising sea levels from sensitive equatorial climates?

Earth life is adapted to the climate that exists today. This includes human populations.

That we have such heterogeneity in EPA across political boundaries is nonsensical. We need to have international engagement on diplomatic and economic levels with the rest of the world with respect to EPA to arrive at meaningful common parameters, because climate, ocean, atmosphere does cannot be self-contained within national boundaries. We have WTO and a security council, but we have no common framework for EPA.
>>
>>98112
Creative, but I still have no reason to believe in your doomsday predictions.
>>
>>98103
This, in itself, is not the doomsday scenario. It's just a helpful, visual reminder that it could be around the corner.
>>
>>98126
OK. Good looking out.
>>
>>98117
>no reason to believe

This right here is what "science denial" is. You are literally denying science. Scientists are studying the phenomenon and making predictions and the models are in consensus that things are shitty -- these are the reasons. You say you have "no reason" means you deny all those given by decades of science.

And if that's the case, you are the definition of the "post-truth" society.
>>
thie water is in the glass already it's just melting
>>
you are not "adding water" you are "adding heat"
>>
the only intelligent analogy would be to grab ice from another planet and tow it into our atmosphere but even that is still an alternate universe bruce willis movie
>>
>>98151
There is literally NO REASON to believe in gravity. Give me one. I dare you. I haven't seen it.
>>
>>97910
>Hi guys. It's [almost] time to panic. At least it will finally [hopefully] shut up the creationist flatearther climate change deniers.

You, uhh, know it's summer down there, right? Mr. Aware Globalist? Hmmm?
>>
>>98160
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6cjx4gJFME0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
>>
>>98167
fuck me. delete this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cjx4gJFME0
>>
>>98151
It was just an exaggeration.
>>
>>98159
You are adding water because melting ice turns it into water. Then it flows around and rains on shit, cooling it off.
>>
>>98047
stop arguing with this guy, you're wasting your time.
>>
>>98268
>shun the heretic before he makes us doubt our faith
>>
>>98067
The point is they all have an extra chromosome
>>
>>97910
>noticeably raise global sea levels by 10 centimeters, or almost four inches.
why is this a bad thing? it'll wash away shitholes like New York City, New Orleans, Los Angeles and Miami. And that's just in America.
>>
>>99183
>why is this a bad thing?
How complex do you think the earth really is? Can you fathom the interconnectivity that has arisen from literally billions of years of evolution, the way that one species effects another, that one ecosystem interacts with another over a long period of time?

Think about it like this: Someone has constructed a house of cards. Now you come along and start to remove cards randomly from the arrangement. What happens?

http://www.businessinsider.com/effects-of-climate-change-2014-6
>>
>>99183
>it'll wash away
I think you'll find they'll spend your tax dollars protecting them with billion dollar sea walls.
>>
>>97910
I really wish this was california. Fuck those guys
>>
>>99183
The people that inhabit those shit holes will move inland and you'll have to deal with them in your back yard. Do you have enough bullets to deal with millions of displaced people?
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.