[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Iceberg Size of Delaware Poised to Break Off From Antarctica

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/iceberg-size-delaware-poised-break-antarctica-n703821

>An iceberg the size of Delaware is poised to break away from Antarctica, an event which may lead to the collapse of a massive ice shelf on the continent, according to researchers.

>Scientists say that a 1,900 square-mile section of the "Larsen C" ice shelf is now only connected to the main body by a 12-mile section of ice. Researchers monitoring a huge crack in the ice discovered that it had grown rapidly during the second half of 2016 — increasing in size by 11 miles in December alone.

>If the iceberg does break away, it would be one of the ten largest ever recorded.

>When the iceberg breaks off, or calves, the shelf will lose around 10 percent of its surface area, leaving it at its most-retreated ever recorded position, according to researchers at Project MIDAS, a British-backed Antarctic research project.

>"If it doesn't go in the next few months, I'll be amazed," project leader Professor Adrian Luckman, from the U.K.'s Swansea University told the BBC. Researchers had previously suggested that a calving event could take place at some stage in the next decade.

>Scientists say that calving events like this one could lead the Larsen C ice shelf to disintegrate entirely, as its neighbor Larsen B did in 2002.

>"We think that once this iceberg has gone, the Larsen C ice shelf will be in a less stable position than before, precisely how much less stable depends on what path the crack takes as it propagates," Martin O'Leary, a researcher on the project, told NBC News. "I think we're probably more worried that the next iceberg could cause the ice shelf to collapse rather than this time around," he added.
https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/rift-in-antarcticas-larsen-c-ice-shelf
>>
I bet you 1 billion dollars it'll be fine. climate/space news is just click bait.
>>
>>97518
Do you think evolution and a geosphere Earth is impossible too?
>>
>>97524
I suppose you must then believe men should be administered estrogen, whites should pay 30% higher tax than blacks, news should be owned by the government to make sure it's correct and you should need a license to buy a butter knife, right?
>>
>>97576
Nobody believes those things, Anon. Those things are fictional things that conservative clickbait outlets tell gullible readers that liberals think, unlike >>97524 which is based in reality.
>>
>>97507
at least if it breaks off and destroys some cities Trump will have reason to believe global warming, and right at the trade-off from Obama, it's optimal timing really
>>
>>97597
Coastal cities are mostly liberal so it is not a big deal if they sink it just means less people voting for liberals.
>>
>>97598
>Trump is from a coastal city
>>
>>97601
>Mostly
>>
>>97597
>icebergs in new york and they're still telling me global warming is real. SAD
>>
>>97524
really clever post. good job.
>>
Bullshit we all know global warming is fake niggas dont try to pull the wool over my eyes you god damnd sheeps
>>
>>97598
Edgy.
>>
Not a single comment that's actually about the article, go figure.

It would be pretty insane to be there when it finally breaks away.
>>
>>97686
Aint nobody read that shit just read the titles and keep it moving
>>
>>97686
lurk moar, newfriend.

>>97686
I wonder what it's going to sound like.
>>
>>97686
Seriously I hope someone films it. Chasing Ice had some awesome footage of shit like this
>>
>>97518
Having to dumb down scientific articles (namely astrophysics stuff) is not the same as 'click bait'
>>
>>97518
i bet you 1 trillion dollars it will break off and melt
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.