[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wheels recommendation(racing bike)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

Any advice for me for some average priced wheels? I am not looking for high end 300€ wheels. Got a sportif 2.3 very cheap from a relative but i have to change the wheels because they are broken.
>>
Ah yeah right, size 28 i think.
>>
>>947869
I had a pair of RS31 before buildning my dream wheels. Good wheels. Flattened spokes give off a weird whistling howl above 45km/h (30mph). Heavy hubs, but cup and cone design and offset rear rim for stiffness. Not for the WW.
Good wheels. Would recommend.
>>
>>947872
>RS31
mmh, ty looks good, but since the bike is like 600€ and the wheels 160€ its still a sligthly over what i would pay, im just looking for wheels to repair the bike then i would buy myself a better one someday.
>>
>>947869

I've been looking at older mavic ksyrium on ebay and the normal ones , not equipe or anthing go for under 100 sometimes.
seem to be decent wheels.
even if they're out of true , you can get the mfixed up and have a nice wheelset.
>>
>>947975
>>947869
Ask around your LBSs if they have any used wheels or even stock wheels that customers wanted replacing. A lot of places throw away used parts when replacing them, so you might even be able to scrounge some from a dumpster.
>>
>>947975
You buy a set of nice wheels. When you buy a new bike you put your nice wheels on the new bike, and the shit wheels on the old bike before you sell it.
No bike comes with decent wheels, because it's assumed the owner will have his own favourite pair already.
>>
>>947869

lol wut

a good set hubs alone costs 300€
>>
>>947984

Mavic is shit. The freewheels break in no time.
>>
>>948479

Their mtb ones only last a season but their road ones are usually good unless you're Stompy McRetard.
>>
>>947984
>>948479
This. They don't use ball bearings like normal people, but a plastic sleeve bearing that doesn't even retain lubrication for shit. Never buy Mavic wheels.
>>
>>948499
>Never buy Mavic hubs
FTFY
>>
>>948479
>>948496
>>948499

interesting , allways thought they were decent , but never had any myselfe
>>
>>948991
That's because they're not being truthful.

There is a replaceable plastic bushing in the freehub that reduces weight and cost. If grit gets inside, as would be expected in off road use, it tends to wear, but otherwise plastic is self-lubricating. Which is why this design is not used for at least most of their newer MTB hubs. This bushing only wears if you are coasting, it does not spin relative to the hub shell when pedaling. When it is spinning, there is very low forces acting on it.

If you take a road hub get it dirty, try to overgrease it and attract dirt, coast a lot, and ride it a lot, then yes, you can toast the bushing easily, and have to buy a $13 replacement part or replace it with the original ball bearing they used to use.
>>
>>948995

Freehubs are not exactly rocket science. A shit ton of companies know how to make ones that have decent design and don't break. Mavic is therefore deliberately choosing to sell shit. If you buy Mavic products after knowing this, you deserve all the problems you experience.
>>
>>951098
And don't forget their retarded two-pawl design used on all their road and mtb wheels up to 2014 or so. If a little dirt gets past the hub seal (which isn't difficult) one pawl will get stuck, so all the power will be driven to the wheel through a single pawl. They don't last a lot.
>>
I'll kinda hijack the thread as I know nothing about wheels... what would be a good sturdy set of 26" wheels for an MTB? Weight is not a terrible issue, as I don't race, but lightweight is welcome but durability comes first. I did not know mavic were so shit, so if it's true I kinda dodged a bullet there as most used wheelsets around here (Italy) appear to be Mavics. I took a look at DT Swiss and those look really good, but I know nothing.

Even just brand suggestions are welcome, I'd like to spend less than 400€ total. I might eventually just go used, as people are dropping 26" left and back.
>>
>>951106
I've built myself two pairs of Spank Oozy Trail295 on Shimano hubs with DT Competition spokes, and they're excellent. Fits comfortably within your budget including getting them built. Not sure if XT-8000 hubs fit your budget, but just get some cheaper hub if they don't.
The rims are quite light for their width (25mm inner) and feel very stiff. Tubeless bead retention is excellent even at very low pressures and I have yet to burp a tyre.
As an added bonus you have lots of pretty colours to choose from.
Shimano hubs aren't the lighest, but they are very well sealed, has a sane freehub design, steel freehub body that doesn't get chewed up by the cassette, large diametre stiff axles, more than enough POE at the Deore SLX/XT levels and will last a lifetime if properly adjusted and relubricated every few years.

I'd suggest buying from Rose.de if you don't have a shop in mind already. Put rims and hubs in the basket, put a request to have them built and with what spokes in the message window. I think they charge 30€ per wheel or something.
>>
>>951149
Thanks, you're awesome. I'll keep your advice in mind, even though it'll probably all happen later under christmas, so I got an excuse to gift myself something nice, heh.
>>
File: WP_20160425_20_02_20_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160425_20_02_20_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
not pro or racing at all but 26" are really cheap now. weinman rims on shimano hubs for like $50/set shipped.
>>
>>951153
>single walled rims
Good good retard
>>
>>951153
>not even tubeless compatible
>19m inner
That doesn't even qualify as a mountainbike wheel these days. A wide tyre won't be stable on that rim at the 1-1.5bar pressures that are run now.
>>
>>951159
Not that anon, but not everyone rides at stupid low pressures m8.
But anyways even my el cheapo decathlon rims are double walled... running 1.8 - 2 bar nicely on a set of Race Kings 2.2 ProTection at the moment (tubed). I honestly wouldn't change these rims any time soon, but they look fuck ugly and weight 600 grams each.
>>
File: WP_20160223_19_19_38_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160223_19_19_38_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
>>951159
i dont like wide tires. the thinnest i could find in 27.5 are these mavics.
>>
>>951171
>decathlon
KYS. This shit's dumber than the downtube sperg. If you must go on about BSO-peddler-that-must-not-be-named, do it ITT → >>949084
>>
>>951173
>frog tyres for the frog wheels for the frog poster
>>
>>951174
Meh, just memes. For the price of my bike all you can find is alivio and altus cheap bullshit, while mine has a sram x-5 on the rear which is really nice for a budget bike (this was 350€ new, I bought it for 200€.) and the front fork is heavy but reliable, and still pushed on 600-700€ models from other "reliable" brands (read: rip off bullshit). Pretty much only other brand I found that has a very good price-performance ratio but is more competition oriented is Diamondback.

Decathlon, except for the bottom bargain bin cheap shit, builds bikes that are made with the end user in mind, all the important bits are sturdy unless you go for the absolute shit end. My rims are heavy and ugly but they're well regarded in all reviews as very reliable and hard to fuck up - they're perfect for a rookie like me and even for an experienced user that just wants a bike to absolutely throw down trails without fear of fucking up expensive stuff.
>>
>>951185
Yhup, btwin bikes are fantastic up and down the range. The old Decathlon Columbus tubed road bikes are amazing as well. Even the steel hardtail they do for like €100 is better than any halfords bso you could buy for the same price.
>>
>>948472
>good hubs
its just fucking metal/carbon holding some spokes and contain some ball bearings that aren't even internally part of it

the only difference between a 20 bucks hub and 400 is simply the weight
>>
>>951329
>20 buck hub
>>
>>951331
>he doesn't even have super climbers
>laughing japanese schoolgirls dot jar
>>
Shimano steel freehub cupNcone bearing hubs are GOAT GOAT GOAAAAAAAAAT
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.