[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bike touring general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 20

File: amtrak-with-bicycle[1].jpg (187KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
amtrak-with-bicycle[1].jpg
187KB, 1280x720px
I'm going to do a bike tour in the 3rd world soon and I have some questions:

I should get 26" rims, right? I have a cheap bike with 28" ones now, but I'd rather do a quality upgrade to save myself trouble down the line.

I'm willing to spend like 1500$ for a quality bike if necessary. Do you have some suggestions for bikes with frames for 26" rims? Or should I order parts seperately and ensemble them?

Are steel frames important or is aluminum sufficient? Does steel frames have longer lifespan? I'll probably be doing more riding after this tour.

Could I check secondhand stores for bikes with steel frames and built it up myself? Or are new touring bike frames of much higher quality? (I probably won't find anything in the stores here anyway as I live in a small town).

Is important to have a well fitting frame? I'm 175cm but have long legs, my current bike is 18" and it's one size too big for me on the bike size chart. Idk if a smaller one would be more comfy.

Should I use panniers or a bike trailer?

Should I use suspension forks?

I'm planning to go very far, as long as my money last (4000$). I'll probably do more tours afterwards as well. So I'd like to get quality equipment now to save me from trouble down the line.
>>
File: IMG_20160810_102254.jpg (508KB, 1037x1037px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160810_102254.jpg
508KB, 1037x1037px
26''
Frame lifespan doesn't matter unless you want to keep the bike for a century.
Get a 90s steel frame MTB in good condition, it will last as long as you need it to last.
Yes, get a frame that fits you well.
Panniers.
No suspension.

From my own experience, the best bang for your buck is a 90s MTB with a 3x9 transmission and a well-built set of wheels. You really can't go wrong with a 3x9 Deore groupset as it's incredibly reliable and spares are both common and cheap. As for tires, the only universally valid answer is Schwalbe Marathon 2.0.

Some people will tell you that you should stay away from several brands, components or even frame materials. The truth is that it will be fine no matter what you choose. Yes, some components or even frames could fail in a big crash. But in such a crash the least of your worries will be the shape of your bike, as you won't be able to ride anything for a long time.

I did plenty of touring on a 40€ bike from 1993, a Diamondback Topanga. Cantilever brakes, 3x7 groupset, single-wall wheels. And it was fine. It was better than fine, it was reliable and comfortable. A more expensive bike would have given me an even better ride, or a faster one. That's for sure, I have ridden more expensive bikes. But the point is that you can have a touring bike on a budget, and you have one hell of a budget.

Pic related.
>>
>>1058960
Continuing with my post, here's what I'd personally do with that budget:

Get a 90s steel MTB that fits you well, in good condition. Butted tubing is a must.
Buy a new or good-condition 3x9 Deore groupset. Mount said groupset.
Buy new cantis (or V-brakes if you are so inclined). Again, Shimano makes good stuff.
If the wheels aren't in good condition, get a new set with a high spoke count and preferably double walls. XT hubs are a bonus.
Buy handlebar attachments (or whatever they're called) and a new handlebar/stem if necessary until you're comfortable.
Buy a good seat, don't go cheap here.
Fit a new set of Schwalbe Marathon tires.
Fit a nice rack and panniers.

You're good to go.
>>
>>1058946
Where do you plan to go to? I toured Chile, Argentina and Bolivia last year on a really tight budget, if you are planning to go to patagonia and have fun go between december/march.
>>
File: 2016-09-18 12.27.50.jpg (4MB, 3628x2672px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-18 12.27.50.jpg
4MB, 3628x2672px
>I'm going to do a bike tour in the 3rd world
>as long as my money last (4000$)

Lol

I hope you are not white.
>>
>>1059003
t. someone who's never been away from home
>>
>>1059008
>He's white
>Being a nerd in the 3rd world
>With 4k
>Thinks that niggers will leave him alone

Go for it dude. Get enriched with their culture of being poor and violent.
>>
>>1059009
>carrying 4k on your pockets
That's not being a nerd, that's just plain retarded.
>>
>>1059012
If you can go to some random vender and use your credit card then you are probably not in the 3rd world.
>>
>>1059015
>peru
>not third world
Have you ever been there? Come on guys stop talking out your ass.
>>
File: Surly Troll.jpg (221KB, 1000x669px) Image search: [Google]
Surly Troll.jpg
221KB, 1000x669px
>>1058960
>>1058961
>Get a 90s steel MTB
Surly Troll, son. That comfy rigid 26'er geometry, but with all of the brazeons you'll ever need for touring. A genuine 90s MTB won't have any provisions for front pannier lowriders, and may not have rear rack eyelets either. P-clamps and hose clamps work, yes, but why use them if you don't need to?
>>
>>1059021
So you are not going to use cash but only card in peru? Good idea.
>>
>>1059023
Just go to an ATM every other week to avoid carrying large quantities of cash.
>>
>>1059026
Yeah because no one could ever like force you to take money out of an ATM right?

Also those 3rd world ATM I am sure will keep all your info very safe. Don't worry buddy.
>>
Have two savings accounts. Periodically transfer small amounts into the one your debit card draws from. Kind of labour intensive... better ideas??

But it still doesn't prevent someone from putting a gun to your head and just taking everything.
>>
>>1059035
Then you accept you rolled a 0 and go home.
>>
>>1059028
You've been watching too many movies.
>>
>>1059039
I don't even give a shit.

Enjoy the shithole.
>>
>>1059028
Better just stay at home then, much less risk.
And don't shower, you might slip and break your neck.
Better avoid cooking too, you don't want to burn yourself. Besides, Cheetos and Mountain Dew fill you up, too.
>>
>>1059041
This.
>>
>>1059041
>If you don't want to travel to a literal garbage dump of a country you are just a manchild

No seriously enjoy the trash there. Make sure to give the starving kids some money you hipster.

I'm sure you will sleep soundly at night. No one will steal anything of yours.

>>1059042
>This

pathetic
>>
>>1059043
You are a manchild, go read www.crazyguyonabike.com
>>
>>1059046
Why do you feel it so hard to justify and you keep replying?

Dude just go enjoy the garbage dump. You don't need to justify it me.

If you like riding through poor some brown people countries to get some sick superiority complex feel free dude. I just hope no one steals your bike when you are sleeping.
>>
>>1059047
I'll keep replying as much as I want to, manchild.
>>
>>1059048
Said like a true manchild.
>>
>>1059046
>>1059048
pure unbridled delusion
>>
>>1059047
You are trying to scare away OP from doing something that's not as dangerous as you think, I'm just encouraging him to have the ride of his life, I've been there, you've not, like I said earlier, stop talking out your ass.
>>
>>1059052
Yeah but to throw away any concern is fucking stupid.

If you think it's as safe as doing a bike tour in America or Europe you are fucking deluding yourself.

Sure maybe none of these things will happen. But they have happened and will happen regardless.

You have to be ready to face these challenges if you are going to do it. To go running blindly into something is fucking stupid.
>>
>>1059053
>yeah but to throw away any concern is fucking stupid
Of course.
>if you think it's as safe as doing a bike tour in America or Europe you are fucking deluding yourself
Of course is not as safe.
>sure maybe none of these things will happen. But they have happened and will happen regardless
True.
>you have to be ready to face these challenges if you are going to do it. To go running blindly into something is fucking stupid.
I agree.
>>
>>1058961
>XT hubs are a bonus.

Modern XT hubs now have alloy axles. If you pick XT go with vintage XT or new LX (both have steel axles).
>>
>>1059039
Not him but i got my card info hacked from an ATM while in Lebanon.
>>
>>1059053
Not all third world is the same. Croatia, (Western) Turkey, China and Uruguay are fairly safe for example.
>>
There's a lifetime worth of bicycle touring in safer and more developed countries. You could spend an entire summer exploring Colorado. Most people want bragging rights of saying they did coast to coast or something in far away lands... meanwhile they stick to highways and don't even scratch the surface of what there is to see. Peru looks awesome but it does have a reputation for crime, personally i don't care about experiencing different cultures... I'd sooner spend a month exploring Jasper or Banff.
>>
>>1059003
Where in Oregon is that?
>>
>>1058961
Where do you even find good 90s mountain bikes? I'm looking on craigslist in my area and don't see anything.
>>
>>1059065
While bragging about what you've done is nice, I hope OP has other reasons reasons for visiting 3rd world countries. Believe it or not, people exist who don't live exclusively for the praise and admiration of their peers.

With that said, I don't see a problem with wanting to ride the whole continent. Will anyone who does it experience everything there is to experience? Of course not. Have you read every post of every thread on 4chan? I hope not. You pick a few appealing threads and spend your time with those.

Seeing a bit of the world outside of the safety of the first world can be exciting and enlightening (as well as somewhat less safe). If you're content with spending all of your time in the Canadian Rockies, no one is stopping you. I just hope you can understand some of the appeal of getting a little bit further outside of your safety net every now and again.
>>
>>1059071
Mount Hood National Forest. NF-46

Really nice
>>
>>1059065
>Peru looks awesome but it does have a reputation for crime
I suppose that's true if you're talking about Lima, and only the sketchy downtown. Peru is full of the nicest people I've ever come across. I wish I brought my bike with me when I went to Cuzco, there were some beautiful mountain roads there.
Maybe next time.
>>
>>1058946
The only argument I've heard for steel over alloy is that you'll have an easier time getting steel welded if need be. >>1058960 makes a good point in that a frame-damaging crash might put you out of condition entirely, but remember also that spontaneous manufacturing defects can happen, as can age-related fatigue (if you opt for something old).

That said, I'd argue that the material considerations are more important for your accessories- especially racks, that are more likely to break than your frame.

>>1059022
Surly makes a folding Troll, too- though I don't know if it yet has the updated geometry that the regular Troll has.

Also nice to be able to buy just a frame if desired, and they're somewhat unassuming in appearance if you remove the decals.

Another handy thing about the Troll (and most other Surlys) is the ready availability of a large, fairly well-fitting frame bag.
>>
>>1059022
Drop bars really are useful, especially when you find yourself going into a headwind for days on end.

At least the Troll gives you some different hand positions, unlike the generic 90s mountain bike other anons are recommending.
>>
>>1059015
have you ever heard of an ATM anon?
>>
>>1059163
Ever heard of a Knife and a mask anon? No one would ever think of using those things to force you withdraw money right?
>>
>>1059028
Third worlder here. Wtf are you even talking about? ATM stealing information? And then doing what with that? There's a lot of shit that happens here, but you just took that one out of your ass.

>>1059035
That's a good idea and you should go through that labour.>>1059047
>If you like riding through poor some brown people countries to get some sick superiority complex feel free dude. I just hope no one steals your bike when you are sleeping.

Who said he has a superiority complex? He just said he wants to travel there and nothing else.

>>1059063
This. I'm Latin American and can say that, generally speaking, these countries are safe: Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Brazil (mainly South and Southeast), Costa Rica, some parts of Peru, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Panama, parts of Paraguay.

Places that are generally very dangerous: Nicaragua, Colombia, Honduras, Venezuela, Equador, Haiti (not that you would fly there), most of México.

If you have a larger budget and can stay at hotels, then the whole trip will become much safer.
>>
File: 33053853801_41c9a51395_o.jpg (4MB, 4032x2641px) Image search: [Google]
33053853801_41c9a51395_o.jpg
4MB, 4032x2641px
>>1059061
Shimano still makes the good ol' M756A XT hubs with the 6-bolt rotor attachment, I'm pretty sure those have a steel axle. Dirt cheap hubs, bulletproof - just not very light.

>>1059140
Pretty sure the World Troller hasn't been updated yet.

Yeah, strip the logos off the frame and no one would take a second look at it. Just another rigid steel MTB.

>>1059148
>dropbars
Agreed, and it's completely possible to put a riser stem and drop bars on a Troll or other 26'er MTB.
>>
>>1059193
>There's a lot of shit that happens here, but you just took that one out of your ass.

Bro they called skimmers. Google it. It scans the info on your card. Guess what they do with that bud? What could someone possibly do with your card info? Buy shit maybe?
>>
Alright, OP here.

>>1058960
I highly doubt I'll find a used 90s mtb here, I don't live in america either, just a small town in Scandinavia. Seems like I indeed need to settle for a cheap option though, otherwise I'll end up spending over half my budget on equipment. I want to at least get a frame made for 26" wheels so that I avoid wheel problems down the line.

Is aluminum a no-no? Could I technically get a dirt cheap aluminum frame then just slap on quality parts and have a bike that would withstand months of touring?

Could I build a quality wheel by myself without specialized equipment? Everything is expensive as hell here, the bike shops would probably charge me a fortune.

>>1059000
I'd like to go from Europe to China, but the money probably wouldn't last. Maybe I'll go halfway or just tour throughout Europe instead.

>>1059065
Maybe you're right. I'd like to see the world close up though, at least once before I die. I doubt Asia/EE is as dangerous as Latin America.

>>1059079
This... A bike from the 90s would seem like a relic.

>>1059081
>While bragging about what you've done is nice, I hope OP has other reasons reasons for visiting 3rd world countries. Believe it or not, people exist who don't live exclusively for the praise and admiration of their peers.

I'm not looking for any admiration or approval, touring is simply a dream of mine. It might be a foolish dream, but I need to at least explore it before letting go.

>>1059140
>The only argument I've heard for steel over alloy is that you'll have an easier time getting steel welded if need be.

Wouldn't a steel frame give more bike stability also, especially when carrying a load?
>>
>>1059226
>Wouldn't a steel frame give more bike stability also, especially when carrying a load?

Stability will be more dependent on how well your load is packed on the bike.

For steel vs aluminum, generally aluminum will be stiffer (flex less) under a given load. However, aluminum will also fatigue over time and eventually crack from being flexed. This isn't the sort of thing that's likely to become a problem over the course of a tour, but rather over the lifetime of an alloy frame- something worth considering only if you're planning on getting used aluminum, really.

Steel will flex more, but can bend to some degree and spring back without any fatigue.

>>1059206
For what it's worth, card skimming/theft/cloning isn't a very lucrative enterprise if there aren't a lot of potential marks to work with. I'd be more concerned about my card being compromised in touristy areas than in the remote third world.
>>
>>1059226
Decathlon/B'Twin (French company) appears to sell a rigid 26er. It's pretty low-end, but it may suit your uses.
>>
Lotsa prejudice going around in this thread
>>
I run a pizza rack upfront and plan on using the deck to transport my tent sleeping mat and sleeping bag.

Is there something like a slightly fancier trashbag I can kram everythign into so it's waterproof ?
>>
>>1059236
Maybe reddit would have been a better choice you nigger.
>>
>>1059253
>>>/b/
>>
>>1059240
Depending on cashflow, you can get a waterproof stuffsack from any campstore.
>>
>>1059240
Get this:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/advanced-elements-packlite-dry-bag-set
>>
>>1059315

Those actually do look pretty nice, but requiring an email to sign to see it? What the fuck is that.

I wonder how much spam they'll send to my 10minutemail account.
>>
>>1059088
Thank you, I'll check it out someday.
>>
>>1059286
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>1059424
>>1059253
>le 4chan leddit war!! XD
are you 14 and just discovered 4chan?
>>
>>1059040
>>1059028
>>1059043
are you trolling or are you just a sheltered shut-in? You obviously have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Why are you just literally making stuff up? Like what do you have to gain from making shit up about countries you've never been to, you've obviously never left western europe/us
>>
>>1059226
if you're in scandi a good option is looking for bikes on ebay. It'll cost you some extra to ship it but it'll still probably be your cheapest option if you can't get many old bikes
i'm from stockholm and can't really find anything in stores partly because my height and partly because... noone sells old bikes for reasonable prices
>>
>>1059486
Stop projecting
>>1059487
Stop being delusional about 3rd world shitholes. You'd would have to be retarded to think you would not be a target if you are a white in a non-white shithole.
>>
>>1059509
You should leave /pol/ and actually go out some time.
>>
>>1059509
there are shitloads of places in the third world that are safer than most european or american cities
like of course I'm a target but I'm a target in my own city as well

anyone who has travelled a lot will tell you that the world is a lot safer than most people think it is. You really seem like an ignorant sheltered shut-in who's never left the country
>>
Anyone else ridin the transam this summer? It will be my first long distance tour.
>>
>>1059532
>most european or american cities
>cities
Not really hard desu.
But in shithole countries there is a lot of corruption, so better have money for the cops ready.
>>
The same scared tard who ruined /trv/ has now found /n/

Great
>>
>>1059663
>But in shithole countries there is a lot of corruption, so better have money for the cops ready.
they wont demand a bribe unless you do something illegal, and if they do you can just refuse
>>
>>1059663
It's just a different way of payment for a public service. In America you pay taxes, in third world countries you pay them directly cause they can't live off their wages. Just inform yourself beforehand. Not paying customary bribes is similar to not paying fees or traffic fines in America. See how that works out for you.
>>
>>1059684
>a corrupt cop would never invent charge to shake down vulnerable tourist
>no one has ever come across "tolls" or safe passage "fees"
Anon, you absolute ditz.
>>
File: 1490802870666m.jpg (83KB, 424x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1490802870666m.jpg
83KB, 424x1024px
>touring in the third world is perfectly safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECs8ZrmH8D8

Link related. OP, your Scandinavian upbringing has left you with naive ideas about human nature. Leave the majority-white countries and it's a different world.

t. a slav from Russia who lives in a mostly black/Mexican neighborhood
>>
>>1059753
in all fairness i live in a like 90% white bumfuck flyover (by choice) and just two weeks ago a cager shot another in the leg for road rage

if we're being anecdotal, both my doctors are from india.

perhaps go back to /pol/
>>
Anyone use a front rack-top bag?

I have a handlebar bag, but it's shitty and cheap and I want to replace it with something. Something that doesn't get in the way of my hands has a lot of appeal.
>>
>>1059753
>slav
>white
>>
>>1059753
>slave
>white
>>
>>1059738
as I said it's a matter of refusing. You have to be aware that it's a hustle though which might not always be obvious
>>
>>1059022
if it's worth something, most people here (Argentina) won't identify a Surly as a expensive bike.
>>
>>1059240
they are called drybags
>>
File: spagatie.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
spagatie.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
I can give you advice on three points,

The first one is that I would recommend something bigger then a 26, even up to a 29 or 30. This may just be my preference, I come from an XC background, but I love my 29er and it roles like a god and the slower acceleration is not something I notice that often.

On the matter of your frame, it is what ever is most comfortable for you if you like a frame that is too big then get a frame that is too big if you like one that is too small then go for that.

Other point is that you should maybe think about a suspension fork with a remote lock out especial if, like you have said, you will be on the bad roads of a 3rd world country. I can tell you though that last summer my family was on vacation in Belize and one day a decided to ride from our house in Maya Beach to Placencia. The only bike I had was a rusty beach cruzer with bad tire pressure but man was that a killer ride.

On the topic of a suspension fork if you are home brewing your bike this could be a good option, it has a remote lock out and it a decent for, I run this on my XC bike.
https://www.sram.com/rockshox/family/recon#sm.00000ueflfrc5qebltb86csmotjs9
>>
>>1059196

orange bike guy I love you

What frame is that anyways? Has it been a troll all along?
>>
I'm fucking bummed. I quit my job recently to start training for my upcoming tour, but the frame on the bike I have is too small. I'm ordering a bigger, better one, but the one I want isn't going to get to the shop until right around the time I was planning to leave. I could keep riding the small frame bike to train, but sometimes my hands go numb. Should I just join a gym and ride a stationary bike for the time being? I've heard that isn't very helpful for tour training, but it's better than nothing. I already know I'm a retard for buying a bike with a small frame, but the wonky eyed hobbit that sold it to me said I just needed to extend the handlebars and I'd be fine. I believed him, and now I'm fucked.
>>
>>1061230
Touring is mostly mental for me but exercising can't hurt. You'll be fine and have a great tour, don't worry pal.
>>
Touring on a 27.5 aluminum hardtail, good idea, bad idea, opinions? Wouldn't be for a couple years but I'd like to use a bike I already have instead of buying a new one
>>
>>1062269
Good idea? No. Possible? Yes.

It's like writing a thesis on a typewriter. People have done it, but there are objectively superior tools for the job.
>>
How stupid would it be to tour for around 1300km for 20 days with a backpack?
>>
>>1062281
Uncomfortable as hell. At least bungee your backpack to a rear rack (and hope it doesn't rain).
>>
>>1062286
No rack, just tire.
>>
>>1062292
Then get a rack you fuck
>>
>>1062300
/thread
>>
>>1062278
what makes it not a good idea? i assume part availability or something? almost every MTB is see these days is a 27.5, and aluminum/discs are good for all weather riding. what gives?
>>
>>1062653
Shocks are going to slow you down, even just in the front.

Aluminium is less durable than steel (or titanium, but I assume you're not made of money).

The geometry is also sub-optimal. See: http://www.cyclingabout.com/understanding-bicycle-frame-geometry/

If you don't care about that much detail, the last couple sections got the points across.

>Not Using a Front Pannier Rack?
>If you are planning on cycle touring with front or rear bags only, frame geometry is arguably less important. A mountain bike with rear panniers will not ride all that different to a touring bike with rear panniers.

>Touring-specific frames work out to be more important when you use heavy gear front and rear, requiring a super stiff front triangle and more fork ‘trail’ to make your bike handle well.

>Summary
>A touring bike’s geometry is specific to carrying loads. If you haven’t ridden a touring bike with filled front and rear panniers, you’re missing out. The steering and wheelbase are optimised for stability, there is ample heel clearance and the front end is appropriately tall. Don’t compromise next time, try one out for your next adventure.

Again, it's possible, just sub-optimal.
>>
File: Wj9X4.jpg (149KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
Wj9X4.jpg
149KB, 800x531px
>>1061230
>I'm fucking bummed. I quit my job recently to start training for my upcoming tour, but the frame on the bike I have is too small. I'm ordering a bigger, better one, but the one I want isn't going to get to the shop until right around the time I was planning to leave. I could keep riding the small frame bike to train, but sometimes my hands go numb. Should I just join a gym and ride a stationary bike for the time being? I've heard that isn't very helpful for tour training, but it's better than nothing. I already know I'm a retard for buying a bike with a small frame, but the wonky eyed hobbit that sold it to me said I just needed to extend the handlebars and I'd be fine. I believed him, and now I'm fucked.

Small frames rule dude, don't sweat it.

Touring bikes should be stupid and ugly, and they resell for good $$$ when you're done with them.

Is the problem that you can't get the handlebars high enough?

Get a stem extender if you need one. It's good. Ugly = less theft

A saddle with extra setback is another option but that can be bad in my experience (depends on your body type)

You'll love your bike regardless of the size so long as you get that numbness fixed. What bars are you riding? What saddle drop?

What I'm trying to say is if you have the bars where you want them already, numbness is coming from something else. For me it's about bar height

You might want to consider Aero bars for your bike on tour. They're good for taking a break from the drops. But they can also kink your neck so watch out
>>
>>1062281
>How stupid would it be to tour for around 1300km for 20 days with a backpack?

All that weight goes straight to your taint babe. Have you done a century ride w/fully loaded pack? Painful I bet

>>1062269

Cannondale? Do it. But switch the fork out for a Surly or Salsa with all the herpes sores on it for rack options. Killer vibe + Frame bag you'll be hipster tour king. Just make sure you match the Axle-to-Crown as closely as possible to your fork (after sitting on it to account for sag)
>>
>>1062709
Ugly bikes are fine, but having more than 1 gear makes a tremendous, practical difference when you're carrying around your home, your tools, your clothing and all the food/water you'll need until who knows where.
>>
Barring hurr durr sleep on the ground, what's the minimal weight (and volume) for a single person to sleep outdoors? I'm guessing tent+sleeping mat+sleeping bag, but how much room does that stuff take? Last time I did camping tents still came with aluminium tubes and a compact sleeping bag weighed 2 kg and took half the backpack.
>>
File: pic related.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
pic related.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
General question - how well would a solid steel hybrid bike handle big loads typical of touring? I wouldn't mind if I'm limited to a few days at a time. I'm getting the bike a new drive train, because the old one is blown to hell. Everything else is good. I need to fit good panniers on it (any recommendations?). I'll be camping with a hammock system.
>>
>>1062807
>what's the minimal weight (and volume) for a single person to sleep outdoors?

That depends on how much money, comfort and durability they're willing to sacrifice.

15 seconds on rei.com shows me these sizes/weights/prices for tents:

1-man tent 23 oz $500
2-man tent 37 oz $370

Same deal with sleeping bags and mats. Are you made of money? Will you be camping in the cold? Are you tall?

You're probably looking at something like 1.5 kg total at the minimum, but I expect you aren't wealthy enough to make that kind of gear practical.
>>
>>1062809
Need more info about the bicycle in question & high-resolution photo
>>
Has anyone bought or used this?
Thoughts?

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/5238/2017-specialized-elite-rear-rack/

Looking for a rack for my road bike
>>
>>1062807
Sleeping bags nowadays can be had for 1 kg, pack to the size of a small bucket with a compression sack and take temperatures close to 0°C. Any colder and the weight and size quickly increases.
>>
>>1062807
Depends on how much you're willing to suffer and where you are going. A basic bevy sack will weigh less and take up less space but will give just enough space to sleep in.
You might be able to avoid taking the rainfly and the ground cover, but that depends on the locale and the weather.
I have a standard 1 man tent from REI. The tent, rain fly, ground covern and my mat fit in my revelate pika bag with enough room for my nesting kitchen and a little more. Iirc, thats a total weight of 3.9lb including the pika. My down sleeping bag takes up about 2/5s of a pannier and/or sits comfortably inbetween my handlebars. The sleeping bag is close to 3 pounds.

> inb4 people grumping about panniers and seat post bag.
Its an evolving set up. I generally dont have a problem being entirely back loaded but I also havent done more than a week at a time due to work. I don't like strapping things between my panniers because that either too finicky for my stupid brain or it resticts access ro the bags too much.
>>
I've never done it myself but I'm in a town that gets a lot of bike traffic, so I've met with and hosted a lot of travelers.
Everything else is much more important than the actual bike, as long as it's comfortable don't overspend, get something 3rd worlders can fix if need be.
Realistically 2000-3000km is not that much and a bike that's in good working order when you set out shouldn't give you any trouble.
The most important thing is where you're going and having some experience backpacking, couchsurfing etc. so you don't fall in the beginners traps for travelers.
Latin America for example is actually dangerous, I know people who were robbed within an hour of landing in Brazil.
On the other hand people think East Europe is just as dangerous and it's actually not, it's just Europe but poor.
There's muh /pol/ racism and exaggeration, but it's not all sunshine and flowers either, there's a reason shitholes are shitholes.
>>
>>1062922
>Any colder and the weight and size quickly increases.
Or you can not be a faggot and deal with the cold and wear warm clothes inside the sleeping bag
>>1062807
BIVY
I
V
Y

SACK
A
C
K

>mat
FAGGOT
>tent
FAGGOT

nuke yourself
>>
>>1062281
>taking 20 days to do 1300km
You can do that on a fucking schwinn cruiser
>>1062286
>>1062300
>>1062492
He's only doing 65km per day. That's shit-tier. Yeah a 1300km ride without a rack is a bad idea, but since he's only going to be riding like 3 hours/day, so fucking what if he has a big heavy backpack.
>>
>>1062956
>He's only doing 65km per day
It don't work like that
There'll be days he's not riding and days he'll be riding for 8 hours
>>
>>1062954
>>mat
>FAGGOT
you are retaded
>>
>>1062719
It's a Rohloff hub
>>
This is kind of an odd question, but what is the best bank to use for a tour? I live in 'murrica and am going to ride across the country. I don't like my current bank, and rumors are it's changing hands soon anyways, and I don't want that to happen during my trip and complicate things. I've read that Schwab is good because you can use any atm for free. Anyone have experience with this?
>>
>>1058946
>I should get 26" rims, right?
Yes
>Do you have some suggestions for bikes with frames for 26" rims?
Surly Troll, best bike for 3rd world shithole touring
>Are steel frames important or is aluminum sufficient? Does steel frames have longer lifespan? I'll probably be doing more riding after this tour.
Steel is nice because you can find a welder to fix it easily, and steel is more comfortable
>Is important to have a well fitting frame?
If you'll be riding hours a day for many days yeah obviously
>Should I use panniers or a bike trailer?
Panniers obviously
>Should I use suspension forks?
Fuck no
>>
File: Cockpit_Top.jpg (157KB, 600x411px) Image search: [Google]
Cockpit_Top.jpg
157KB, 600x411px
>>1059148
>Drop bars really are useful, especially when you find yourself going into a headwind for days on end.

I'd venture that an alt bar + clip on aero bars woud work even better. You're not bound by the UCI rules and you're not trying to impress anyone.
>>
>>1063868
>aero bars
This. Flat bar with bar ends and aero bars.
Butterfly bars are nice too, but flat bar+bar ends+aero bars is the master race.
>>
File: jQoGSfF.jpg (652KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
jQoGSfF.jpg
652KB, 1024x683px
>>1063873
>flat bar+bar ends

Try alt bar + ergons. The single hand position is better than either one on the flat+ends combo and it gives a lot of room for small adjustments and different grips.
>>
>>1062709
I already got the handlebars extended. I found out recently that the numbness could be from the bars themselves not being wide enough. They are drop bars. I don't know about saddle drop. The bike I have currently that is too small is a raleigh soujurn. I talked to my LBS and they are ordering me a surly long haul trucker frame and are going to switch everything over. I should of just gotten a surly to begin with, but I'm in a better financial situation now than I was when I bought the raleigh. I can afford the better frame and cost to switch everything over at the moment, so I'm not to worried about it. The problem is that the new frame won't get here until the time I was planning on leaving. Everything is fine now though because someone let me borrow a bike that fits me to ride until the new frame comes in. It's not a touring bike, but it works for training and getting unloaded miles in. Now I just have to stop being a pussy and ride even if it's rainy as shit with 45 mph winds.
>>
>>1063883
Those are ugly as fuck.
>>
>>1063905
Well I guess that disqualifies them.
>>
>>1059022
>>1058960
>>1058946
Why 26''? Whats wrong with 29'' or fat 700c 35s?
>>
File: cockpit.jpg (2MB, 3881x2109px) Image search: [Google]
cockpit.jpg
2MB, 3881x2109px
Rate these bars.

Trying out the bar end thing. Not sure how I will like it. Easy to remove if I don't.

I think I will like the H-bar + Ergons. Hopefully. I'm going on a Tour down the pacific coast in late may.
>>
>>1064201
literal 10/10 IMO.
I think I'm in love with those shifters too.
>>
>>1064201
Don't understand why are the shifters so far front, I'd have them closer to my hand resting position but overall it seems like a somewhat weird looking, but comfy combo.
>>
>>1064215
Yeah they are really satisfying. the clamps are those Paul Thumbies(way overpriced) and microshift bar ends. Really reliable.

>>1064219
Yeah gonna have to go on a few rides to figure out where I want those shifter to be.

I loved the drop bars because they have the classic look but this is so much more comfy for spending 7+ on the bike every day
>>
>>1064201
needs moar aero bars
otherwise perfect
>>
File: SIREN-Fred-3.jpg (385KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
SIREN-Fred-3.jpg
385KB, 700x525px
>>1064227
Here is how they look with the aero bars

I like the idea but my only problem is that you lose the front hand position which is good for climbs. Dunno
>>
>>1064229
Nice 4chan pass icon!

Serious question though. When using 4chan pass, does the icon automatically appear or do you have the option to toggle it off?
>>
>>1064269
Yeah it's default off
>>
>>1064273
Do you post with it on just for the memes or what?
>>
File: 1491053617490.jpg (14KB, 444x332px) Image search: [Google]
1491053617490.jpg
14KB, 444x332px
>>1064279
Yeah basically
>>
File: my cockpit.jpg (88KB, 580x514px) Image search: [Google]
my cockpit.jpg
88KB, 580x514px
>>1064201
>>1064229
Nice cockpit
>>
>>1062809
>>1062901
Updated photo. I found an old set of pannier bags and installed a rack.
>>
>>1064409
Forgot pic.
>>
>>1064410
1. You're going to need more than 1 water bottle. This doesn't necessarily mean more cages, but it means something.

2. Good luck finding a place to use your U-lock on tour. I don't know where you're headed, but I haven't seen many bike racks on my tours.
>>
>>1062903
It really depends on what you want to do with it. If it's for touring and transporting heavy stuff like groceries, you'd better get a rack with horizontal guards or else your panniers might end up in your spokes. If it's for lightweight sutff go right ahead.

Oh and weight limits are often pure fantasy and are always pessimistic. Most will carry much more load than indicated without breaking.
>>
does anyone know of ways to filter out paved roads in OSM? (or google idc really)
It would be nice for planning gravel tours
>>
>>1064229
christ, that looks comfy enough to sleep on. What a great setup
>>
What's a good place to go on a first tour?
I live in eastern PA, near Philly, should I just started there and ride?
I think I would rather go somewhere more interesting but I dunno
>>
>>1064752
How long/far would you like to go?

From near Philly, I would either head to the Adirondacks (which I have visited and enjoyed by bicycle and car) or towards the national forests in NW PA. I haven't visited this area, but I've heard some good things.

Just riding upstream on the Delaware River doesn't seem like a bad idea either. That will get you most of the way to upstate NY.
>>
File: Rad.png (586KB, 1252x1328px) Image search: [Google]
Rad.png
586KB, 1252x1328px
Would these be good deals, as I dont want to spend 1000€ on a bike that might get stolen, because I leave it at the foot of the mountain? Would be first and foremost getting to the alps (50km to get there and not much uphill) for camping and hiking. Maybe later for longer distance travel like eastern or southern europe. What can you tell me about Ortler?
>>
>>1064790
Locking me bike to a tree makes me feel a bit better about leaving it around. My bike was $1300 and I've probably spent around $5000 on maintenance, parts, etc over the years. Exchange rate is just over $1 : 1€ at the moment.

Sure, someone with some hefty wire-cutters could make it through my cable lock, but it means it takes some effort to do it, and I don't expect serious thieves to get /out/.

As for the pictured bikes, I have no knowledge. You could do 50 km to camp and hike on a BMX bike, a cruiser or a fixie but as your trips get longer and you get further from civilization you'll want more reliable equipment.
>>
>>1064186
Seriously, am I making a mistake using a 29' monstercross bike or a 700c adventure road bike?
>>
>>1065148
26" is generally more widely spread, so if something happens to your wheel/tire in the 3rd world, you'll stand a better chance of getting something repaired/replaced if it's 26".

If you're very, very confident in your ability to repair your wheels if they break or in your wheels durability, then it doesn't matter.

Similarly, if you don't go to the 3rd world, it doesn't matter.
>>
What do you do with your bike + luggage if you you're going into a store or something? Do you just leave it all outside and hope that nobody steals it?
>>
>>1065766
And also, do you use a rain cover for the bike?
>>
>>1065194
>26" is generally more widely spread
>this was true in 1990 so it must be true now

Every bike made in the last 15-20 years was a hybrid and they all run 700c.
>>
>>1065766
>Do you just leave it all outside and hope that nobody steals it?
Yes

>>1065773
I've not seen people do that, but they may have covers for the panniers if they're not waterproof.
>>
>>1065814
>>1065766

I speak from experience whey I say that rain covers for non-waterproof panniers are absolutely worthless in real rain. If you use them, expect the interior to get wet. Similarly, 'water-resistant' clothing will do jack shit.

I realize not everyone is going to start their touring in the Pacific Northwest, but those lessons have served me well elsewhere.

The Ortlieb pannier in which I store my tent/sleeping bag spends the night draped over my saddle, but otherwise, my bike spends the night exposed.

As for locking, it really depends on the area. In small towns where I'm just popping into a gas station/general store for water, I often don't bother locking up. In anything resembling a city I do.
>>
File: gap trail.png (103KB, 837x575px) Image search: [Google]
gap trail.png
103KB, 837x575px
>>1064752
I'd like to try this

https://gaptrail.org/
>>
>>1065804
He's talking about third world countries.
>>
>>1063293
NO U
>>
>>1066173
In actual third world you're gonna get chased with spears. Any place that has LBSes would have caught up by now.
>>
When it comes to Audaxing, anyone here done a set up with a aluminium race bike with a carbon fork?
I am setting up my Allez for it with an Altura Rack pack and Handlebar bag so far.
>>
>>1065840
I think I'm going to ride this in the summer. It's part of the transamerica bicycle trail eastern express route which I think I'm going to try out. http://www.easternexpressroute.com/
It's still in the test stages and doesn't have west to east directions yet which is the way I'm going. I want to try it anyways though.
>>
>>1058946
Whatever these niggas >>1058960 >>1058961 >>1059022 says, it's solid. My only input would be _more hand positions_. Flat bar (with horns) is only good enough if you're not going to pull a day worth of riding in changing conditions. Headwinds, climbs and shitty roads can be a bitch.
Try them drops or butterfly bars.
Cheers.
>>
>>1059226
>I'd like to go from Europe to China, but the money probably wouldn't last. Maybe I'll go halfway or just tour throughout Europe instead.
Former soviet bloc countries (the ones that still haven't adopted the €) can get fairly, if not very, cheap. AFAIR Russia, Belarus and Ukraine require visas and it can take time.
ANd to the fear-mongering Anons, my co-worker's son did a 3-week-long bike tour (sleeping under a tent most of the time included) thru Romania last year and came back unharmed. Granted, it was 3 of them, but still.
>>
>>1064201
>fuji touring
Good bike and good bars.
>>
>>1064229

what bars / bar to stem adapter is that ?
>>
>>1066436
Don't worry about 'test stages' or whatever.

Adventure Cycling does some nice stuff, but at the end of the day, all you need is a map and a bit of common sense.
>>
https://strawpoll.com/5w2dazg
Thread posts: 155
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.