[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gag/ - General Aviation General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 66

/GAG/

2017 EDITION
>>
Welcome to the new year boys.
Hope you like the cold.
>>
That airport looks like fun...
>>
File: image.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
image.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Ok lads

Road or field in an engine-out scenario

Road is somewhat straight has light traffic, field looks relatively smooth with no cows and light grass-like vegetation
>>
>>1039077
OBVIOUSLY the field, holy shit.
how can you even consider the road? youre putting innocent people in serious danger, while a field would be exacly as suitable, if not more (no poles or trees to the side of it etc.)

always take the field.
>>
File: image.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
image.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1039101
Because a road has a solid smooth surface and won't cause your gear to collapse when you hit a rut or pothole, decreasing the chance of post-crash injury, fire, and damage (pic related).

For example, it has been done safely and successfully numerous times before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hisTNkN_sJY
>>
>>1039101
Depends on the size and length of the field, how deep any potential snow is, etc.

To be honest, I think I'd prefer landing on a highway if one was nearby senpai.
>>
>>1039077
Field

I was always told to kill as few people as possible in an emergency landing
>>
>>1039156
I was told to go for the highway if there's low traffic.
>>
>>1039162
That's a good way to get people killed
>>
roadways typically have telephone poles and wires next to them. you wont even touch the ground in one piece. that being said, the field might have wires too. if you see a building in the middle of a field, assume wires are going to it form somewhere.
>>
Whic MIG is your favorite MIG
>>
What about a divided interstate with a good gap in traffic?
>>
>>1039208
Flux core.
You get better penetration and can work in wind.
If you care that much about appearance get a tig.
>>
>>1039208
This one
>>
File: simg-new-emblem.png (1B, 486x500px)
simg-new-emblem.png
1B, 486x500px
>>1039233
A fine choice
>>
File: 1351427344181.gif (1B, 486x500px)
1351427344181.gif
1B, 486x500px
>>1039049
>last flight Dec 2013
>went to airport last month to get started again
>cancelled due to weather
>cancelled due to weather again
>cancelled due to maintenance
>sick for two weeks now, no signs of stopping
>>
>>1039077
>>1039101
Road if possible/reasonably safe. Field could be no better than sand when you touch down.
>>
>>1039208
Number one is the MiG-31, with the 21 coming in second and the 29 in third
>>
>>1039238
>flying in winter
>expecting to fly

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: 1453952091343.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1453952091343.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1039180
They'll get out of your way.
>>
>>1039328
>flight school holds all cpl classes over winter
>lectures students over not building hours quick enough.
>has limits of 5nm vis and -5°F, hesitant to let you fly if anywhere near that

I need you to talk to my cfi
>>
Greetings Fellow Canadians,
I have the opportunity to buy a Challenger 1 special for cheap.
I need hours for my commercial; will time spent in an advanced ultralight like this count towards my total time? what about something like a Chinook WT11?
do I need two separate log books?
Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>1039423
>>has limits of 5nm vis and -5°F, hesitant to let you fly if anywhere near that
What the fuck, what is this shitty flight school?
>>
>>1039426
Central Alberta, frustratingly enough.
CYQF
You can see my dilemma.
>>
>>1039425
I kind of doubt they'll count UL hours towards a Commercial license.. not 100% sure, but people are biased against the little planes.

I want to get a Sonex Waiex-B, or a Zenair CH601XL / CH650.

Zenair is ~$14,000 cheaper, but the Sonex looks like a fish..
>>
The end times are upon us. Drone crop dusters.

How are new pilots supposed to get work? If rc helicopters are taking all the entry jobs.
>>
>>1039481
Flight instruct.
>>
>>1039485
Not everyone has the cash or time to make it to flight instructor, nor is every pilot going to be a good flight instructor.

This meme needs to go.
>>
>>1039491
It is not feasible for everyone to get hours by teaching other pilots.

Airlines need to high school to flight school.
>>
>>1039425
No. There is a reason why you don't need a license to fly them: they're legally vehicles, but not aircraft. That doesn't go into your regular logbook any more than UAV time. Get together with a buddy and buy a used C-150 for $12,000 from ebay, then sell It when you're done..
>>
File: buzzed.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
buzzed.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1039348
Oh, yeah...cause people out for a walk in a field are always looking up to scan for silent aircraft.
>>
>>1039532
So you agree the highway IS a superior place to land, then.
>>
What's the modern day equivalent of a civilian version of the spitfire?
>>
>>1039429
call him out on his bullshit. make it clear you want to fly but if he is giving you shitty double standards you should be vocal. tell his boss or change flight schools if need be
>>
>>1039529
then sell It when you're done..
Good plan.
Just to fill you in, in Canada, you do need a license to anything that flies, albeit a basic permit for the chainsaw-strapped-to-wings type stuff, but still.

>>1039425
The CARs mention the following:
>Part IV
᠎ ᠎ ᠎>421.30
᠎ ᠎ ᠎᠎ ᠎ ᠎>(7)
᠎ ᠎ ᠎᠎ ᠎ ᠎᠎ ᠎ ᠎>(b)
᠎ ᠎ ᠎᠎ ᠎ ᠎᠎ ᠎ ᠎᠎ ᠎ ᠎>(iv) Three Axis Ultra-light Aeroplane
᠎ ᠎ ᠎᠎ ᠎ ᠎᠎ ᠎ ᠎᠎ ᠎ ᠎᠎ ᠎ ᠎> [...] a maximum of 25 hours pilot-in-command flight time in three axis ultra-light aeroplanes shall be credited towards the 200 hours total flight time requirement but this time shall not be credited towards the 100 hour pilot-in-command flight time.

'Three Axis Ultra-light' is an umbrella term covering all ultralights, basic and advanced.
>>
What about amateur built?

http://www.pipistrel.ca/Category/

Is it possible to re-register say a challenger II from advanced ultralight to amateur??
>>
>>1039571
3/4 scale spitfire kit.
>>
>>1039545
Depends on conditions. Scanning nearby roads to judge their suitability for landing (traffic, poles, etc) is part of situational awareness.
>>1039588
I stand corrected. Canada sounds awesome that way. In USA, I believe its possible to "upgrade" an ultralight into an LSA and thus be able to log that time. Regardless, my point still stands...right now, used airplanes are cheapest since the early 1980s. Choose for yourself which is the best choice for a time-builder. Buddy last summer bought a single-seat MiniMax for $6000. Ultralight would have to be very cheap indeed to beat that.
>>
>>1039699
Any recommendations on where to find a good GA?
I tried ebay, not much selection.
>>
>>1039117
>(pic related)
that dude cant land for shit. was probably a shitty 3 point landing or worse.

>>1039239
i would never risk harming others when trying to get my plane down, and you do exactly that when landing on a road. if theres a field, i would always take the field, even if it may damage my plane.
>>
>>1039726
>that dude cant land for shit. was probably a shitty 3 point landing or worse
>was probably a
>probably
Nice speculation there
>>
>>1039720
Barnstormers is a great site, with lots of variety. You need to be a lot more specific than "good GA." Ebay is only difficult cause it doesn't have a dedicated page, but they're in there under "motors." Heres an awesome one , in need of annual: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Cessna-337-C-Skymaster-Aircraft-/142231956906?forcerrptr=true&hash=item211daf6daa:g:1eYAAOSw44BYPHAo&item=142231956906
>>
>>1039764
>337
>decent radios
>probably non-WAAS GPS
>$25k
>Only needs Annual

I am highly suspicious of it just from the extremely low price point....

Not to mention the person who's asking probably wants a single, not a twin.
>>
>>1039481
>Drone crop dusters.
What, like R-MAX? So what? It's a gimmick made for very niche applications. This small shit is hardly going to make Ag Cats and Air Tractors obsolete. Hell, even Pawnees and Cubs are non-competitive for spraying against the big boys outside of niche roles.

And even if they do develop bigger unmanned dusters, I highly doubt they'll be competitive. The "drones are cheaper" meme stems entirely from apples-to-oranges comparisons.
>>
>>1039571
>civilian version of the spitfire?
Wat
>>
>>1039768
>>1039764
>$25,000

Yeah... I bet that Annual is going to be a massive fail that requires a deep overhaul to get it flight ready for that price.
>>
>>1039845
>>>1039768
>>>1039764
>>$25,000
>Yeah... I bet that Annual is going to be a massive fail that requires a deep overhaul to get it flight ready for that price.

Flying isnt for smart investors. Owning a plane cant be justified by any standard. Scratched a prop? $10k. Radio went dead? Thats $5k. Insurance? Probably another 10k annually, dont know.
>>
>>1039849
The difference is buying a 25k plane now and putting 200k worth of repairs into it, or buying a 225k plane now with good inspections and equipment.

If you're going to buy a black hole at least it's better to know one that would suck up the money immediately and for an exact amount compared to one that might or might not suck that money.

This is slightly why I want to build an RV-10 once I get settled down... since it's experimental I could do all the MX myself if I wanted, especially rather "simple" stuff like swapping out radios or windows or adding an autopilot
>>
>>1039849
Insurance on my 150 tailwheel is like $900/year for two pilots with hull. I have like 300 hours tailwheel and my dad has another 200 or so, so that's most of where its cheapness comes from.

That being said, even during my primary training we were only in it for like 1200$ annually.
>>
File: subsonex jet.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
subsonex jet.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>your own personal JET
>about 130k$
>209 knots cruise
>249 knots Vne

what speaks against it?
seriously, the price is right, and im pretty sure theres not many planes which are more fun to fly.
its a fucking jet, goddamn.

would you get it if you had the money and knowledge?
>>
>>1039983
realistically, I've always wanted a Lazair, or something similar.
Bare bones, out in the open, low and slow.
Somehow I'm now half way to my commercial, and still don't have a plane.
I think I made a mistake somewhere...

If money was no object I'd probably want a TBM 900 though.
>>
>>1039989
i am also doing my CPL at the moment, i hope Ryanair will be my future.

anyways, why a TBM? its funny because today i told a friend about the subsonix, and he immediately told me what a retard i am and how he would much rather get a TBM with 10 others than one of these jets (what a cunt)

id love to fly such a thing. it just seems so small, fast and dangerous.
>>
>>1039996
>i am also doing my CPL at the moment, i hope Ryanair will be my future

I kinda feel sorry for you. You're in for some rough time with FR. If you get in, try to get out asap.
>>
>>1039983

Maybe I could get my future wife to get a pilot's license and get one of these... so we'd have a pair and maybe we could do airshow stuff.

Or just build the RV-10 for the family and the SubSonex for fun...
>>
>>1040007
>I kinda feel sorry for you. You're in for some rough time with FR. If you get in, try to get out asap.

i dont know what FR is, explain what you mean pls
>>
>>1039849
No, I own a Cessna 150 and pa23 and they're both cheaper than my truck to own and maintain not counting hangar rent. My insurance is cheaper than my car insurance. The prices you guessed are way off too. Keep that "can't do" attitude up and you won't get anywhere
>>
>>1040007
>>1040021
tell me why you feel sorry for me and what the hell FR is

the suspense is killing me
>>
>>1040169

can you give a quick round up of the prices ?
>>
>>1040169

Maybe I should move to US. Those prices I mentioned are quite right around here in europe and insurance is apparently multiple times more expensive.

Pair all that with $300k major pilot salary per annum and maybe I should marry an american and convert my easa atpl to faa one.
>>
>>1040472
Come to Canada instead.
You get amazing climb performance at -40°F and 50kt headwind.
1500fpm in a 172 like a rocket.
>>
>>1040021
Iata code for ryanair.

I have couple of friends who've been there. One of them was based in germany and germany based pilots are currently being investigated for tax affairs, dating back for 15 years.

Their training dept is efficient and roster is stable, but thats about it. Paid by scheduled block hours, so no overtime pay. You'll pay for type rating (30ke), your hotels, uniform, id... Everything. Naturally no pension or anything. No sick pay. You'll set up a shady company to circumvent employment social fees. Oh and one of these contract agencies just folded (brookfield).

Good luck
>>
File: ryanair 737.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
ryanair 737.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1040475
i know a few people who fly for ryanair, they are all really satisfied with it. of course theres the 30k rating and all the other stuff, but fact is, you will
>build hours fast
>get a shitload of cash when not based in germany
>get good training
>can be based in many really nice cities where its warm
>5 days work and 4 days off schedule makes it possible to go home etc.
>a lot of airlines in the east are especially looking for ryanair pilots to employ
its not a company to grow old in probably.

but dude, in Juli im done with my training and chances are really good ryanair takes me. for most of the people in my flightschool ryanair is the last option, but i personally want to get into the cockpit as soon as possible, and i dont want to be stuck in an airline where i dont build any hours.
>>
>>1039532
Not entirely certain what's happening in this pic, but I'm fairly sure I can fap to it
>>
>>1040482
where did/are you going to flightschool? do you like it?
>>
>>1040590
Why yes, I'm fairly sure you could.
>>
File: DSCF3019.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSCF3019.jpg
1B, 486x500px
NO ONE TOLD ME IT WOULD BE THIS OFFICIAL AND PRETTY LOOKING
>>
File: Airbus cockpit.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
Airbus cockpit.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1040660
yeah its amazing. its full time, me and my buddies are learning around 8-12 hours everyday, including weekends and everything.
some airlines are now even doing their entry tests and interviews at our flightschool.
in a few months we start doing our IFR training.
>>
>>1039726
>i would never risk harming others when trying to get my plane down, and you do exactly that when landing on a road. if theres a field, i would always take the field, even if it may damage my plane.
Then you're an idiot. A suicidal idiot. A recently plowed field is almost identical from 1000ft as a field of packed dirt. If you hit soft ground, you're dead. Roads - specifically freeways are very safe to land on. Unless it's the middle of a city with heavy traffic, you'd be an idiot not to take the freeway.

In any case, my first priority is always my own safety. Everyone else comes after. The same is true for you, you just don't want to admit it. Self preservation is the strongest instinct you have, if you say you'd prioritize random people on the ground over yourself, you're lying.
>>
>>1040800
>In any case, my first priority is always my own safety. Everyone else comes after.
yeah well go fuck yourself then.

getting into a flying machine was my choice, not anyone elses. youre the kind of guy that passes someone on the road cause youre retarded and rams him into a tunnelwall when you realize that opposing semi was a little closer than anticipated. an emergency landing isnt a situation in which a survial instinct kicks in. your engines go out, and you fly a glider. you have plenty of time to search for a suitable landing spot. you are in the full posession of your senses and have time enough to use them. instincts do NOT kick in.

>A recently plowed field is almost identical from 1000ft as a field of packed dirt.
>1000 fucking feet
wouldnt really put my ass into a plane if my eyes were that shit, but hey, guess thats cause im not a homicidal asshole.
>>
>>1039864
Live in Canada? if so, most of that you can do yourself in a privately registered GA plane. It falls under what the CARs call 'elementary work', so doesn't need a mechanic cert to do, only the owner. Oil changes, lights, filters, spark plugs, even swapping rackmount radios are all classed as elementary work.

CARs:
>571.10 (3) No maintenance release is required in respect of any task designated as elementary work in the Aircraft Equipment and Maintenance Standards that is performed by
>(a) in the case of a glider, a balloon or an unpressurized small aircraft that is powered by a piston engine and not operated pursuant to Part IV or VII, the pilot of the aircraft;
(Part IV and VII being flight training and commercial air services, respectively)

>Part VI, standard 625 Appendix A
This is an exhaustive list of everything classed as elementary work. Here you go: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part6-standards-a625a-2458.htm

There's probably an equivalent in the FAA regs as well.
>>
>>1040800
Are you a pilot? It kinda sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. According to regulation and good practice, you should always be in a position where "if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface" can be made. There's no debate in that regard, it's written into how you fly. The question if a safe landing with "undue hazard to persons or property on the ground" can be made on a road is situational. Sometimes yes, sometimes no... But we should never be putting others in danger when we fly.
>>
>>1040800
>In any case, my first priority is always my own safety

Not according to FAR 91.119 it isn't

>(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
>>
>>1040680
Call me crazy, but I don't think any of them actually know how to fly those.

I could be wrong, of course
>>
>>1040826

As PIC my first priority is myself and my passengers. If the only way to save us means someone on the ground dies, that's just bad luck for them. No court would ever say you should have killed yourself to save someone else, or penalize you for saving yourself at the expense of someone else if it was unavoidable.

You're also taking my preference for the safety of a paved surface over an unknown unprepared field further than I said. As >>1040822 said, if it can be done safely, it is always the better choice. If it can't, that's another story.
>>
>>1040837
You sound like a shit aviator.
>>
>>1040841
Second
>>
>>1040827
>coffee/tea mug
nope, you're right.
>>
>>1040837
That is not what I said at all. I said sometimes it can be done safely. One is not inherently better than the other. It's completely situational.

How long have you been flying?
What's the biggest airplane you thing you could squeeze onto a road?
How much of a curve would you accept in a potential emergency landing road?
Do you think a controlled rough landing is worse than a high speed wing tip strike, or collision with an automobile?
In what situation would you need to crash your aircraft into a person, vehicle, or structure on the ground, And how would it be safer than not doing so?
Did you know powerlines, mailboxes, signs, telephone poles and cars are often found near roads?
Did you know those things are also often not found in farmer's fields? Did you know pilots flying heavy aircraft with some companies are briefed on the weight bearing capacity of fields based on the agricultural use of the field?
Did you know fields supporting livestock have no guaranteed weight bearing capacity, while those fields used to grow a crop are engineered to support harvesting tractors, and may be more well suited to an emergency landing for this reason?
Don't you think maybe if professional pilots are being briefed on this, fields are a serious option?

I would much rather take my chances with a field than a road.
>>1040800 "If you hit soft ground you're dead"
Who filled your head with that nonsense? Bumpy, yes. Jarring, maybe. Stuck, probably. Dead? No.
>>
>>1039983
>Ultralights in Canada HAVE to be prop driven

Damn'it

Also, whats with Sonex kits being $10k+ more than its competitors with similar aircraft specs??
>>
>>1040800
You know, they really oughta' develop a landing technique for soft ground...
Maybe even soft fields?
Now there's an idea!
>>
>>1040857
You clearly missed this part of my post:
>if it can be done safely, it is always the better choice
So answer this: If you can land safely on a road, why would you take an unfamiliar field instead?

>Who filled your head with that nonsense
A number of crashes where the plane flipped on touchdown because the gear dug into the soft ground. A post crash fire is far more likely if the aircraft overturns. Even if you survive the flip(s), you could be too injured to escape.

I really shouldn't respond to all of this but I have nothing better to do right now:
>What's the biggest airplane [...]
Depends on the road. Freeways have lots of room and can make a great runway. Same with racetracks.
>How much of a curve [...]
Can't say, depends on a lot of factors. Not much for sure.
>In what situation [...]
Won't know until it happens, which it likely never will. Such a scenario is highly unlikely, and mostly the realm of hypothetical discussion, like this. _IF_ it did, I'd choose me over anyone else.
>Did you know powerlines, [...]
Yes. But why would anyone land on a narrow residential street, or in a city? Those roads would make for terrible runways.
>Did you know those things [...]
Yes. They are also rare or nonexistent on rural freeways, which is why they make great runways, traffic permitting.

Part 1/2
>>
>>1040864
Continued...

>Did you know pilots flying heavy aircraft [...]
No. Interesting, but irrelevant to a GA discussion, and me as I only fly small pistons and turboprops
>Did you know fields supporting livestock [...]
Sure, have you ever seen what those fields are actually like, and the tires on a tractor? Especially just after rain, it's a field of mud. Tractors have huge tires with huge tread to plow through it. An aircraft does not. It will dig in and flip.
>Don't you think maybe [...]
Sure, but as you said "pilots flying heavy aircraft with some companies [...]"
Those aircraft have far fewer options, and will almost certainly survive a gear-up field landing far better than gear-down on a road/freeway too narrow for their gear and wingspan.

Not sure why you're bring larger commercial aircraft into a discussion about GA.
>>
File: field.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
field.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1040863
I've actually landed on a few. Of course, all were prepared surfaces intended for aircraft; packed gravel or hard dirt and grass. Soft-field landings won't help when you land on this. Wheel dig in, and over you go.
>>
>>1040862
>whats with Sonex kits being $10k+ more than its competitors with similar aircraft specs??

i only looked into the subsonex jet, and i dont think theres anything compareable on the market
>>
>>1040837
Your first responsibility is to your passengers and people on the ground, you're at the bottom of the list per the FAA. You do what you can to save everyone else in an emergency, you're expendable at that point.
>>
File: 1330598007814.png (1B, 486x500px)
1330598007814.png
1B, 486x500px
>>1040974
>considering myself expendable
>ever
>>
>>1040984
really good conter. i hope i never have the misfortune to be somewhere on the ground when you are in the air.

id say "i hope ill never be in a plane you fly" but a retard like yourself would never make it into actual commercial aviation anyways.
>>
>>1040800
And you're a dick. What right do you have to set yourself ahead of others?

I've flown in military, civil schools and at 91 ops. You'd have a talk with chief pilot at every organization with that attitude.

Fucking plane is only a plane, who gives a fuck if it gets totaled. But you never ever put others at risk.
>>
>>1041004
>What right do you have to set yourself ahead of others?
Self-preservation is never wrong, stop trying to make it seem like a bad thing. Without it, every species would be extinct. You are objectively wrong to imply that self-preservation is wrong in any way. Self-defence is also never wrong, despite your implication that it always is. This is why we have laws for that.

>Fucking plane is only a plane, who gives a fuck if it gets totaled
Sucks if it does, but the plane is an object, and thus expendable. The people on board are not.

>But you never ever put others at risk.
If it's in my best interest, yes I will. If you really were in the military, you would say the same.
>>
>>1041009
youre not only really stupid and an asshole, you also somehow think its "cool" to be stupid and an asshole. just stop posting, dude. you fucking suck.
>>
>>1041014
Stop with the ad hominem and name calling. I'm the only one here being honest and realistic. The people arguing with me are just being idealistic and refusing to accept reality for what it is.
>>
>>1041015
no, youre not "honest and realistic".
you pride yourself fwith being honest and realistic because you think we all think the same way deep down, but thats just your warped view on reality. youre fooling no one here but yourself.

youre a danger to the people around, a terrible airman, and you think that we all are as well despite saying it, which also makes you extremely full of yourself and your objectively wrong statements.
>>
>>1040984
That's what you are once you take the controls as PIC, regardless of whether or not you like it

At this point, I have to wonder if you're trolling
>>
File: Arguments_6.5.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
Arguments_6.5.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1041017
You've never seen me fly so have no basis for making any claims about my ability.

The fact is, we all are the same at our core instincts. That's the way nature works, we all have a survival instinct that takes priority over all else, except the instinct to protect one's own children. Whether you deny it or not, it's there and there's nothing you can do about it.
I never implied that anyone in this thread was a terrible airman, so please don't say that I did.

I'm done, you seem to be unable to be reasoned with, and aren't doing much more than throwing insults at me, pic related. There's no point in continuing to argue with you. Maybe we can continue this discussion at some point in the future.

>>1041021
No person is expendable to themselves, and no court would tell a person that they were expendable when they protected themselves. I challenge you to find one example of any court finding a person guilty of anything for not sacrificing themselves to save someone else. Failing that, as above, I'm tired of this pointless argument. I am not trolling, I'm just stating that protecting oneself from harm is never wrong. For that, I've been the target of unprovoked insults, and not once has anyone provided any evidence to the contrary.
>>
File: DSC03957.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSC03957.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1041026
bullet proof vests.,
>>
>>1041026
>You've never seen me fly so have no basis for making any claims about my ability.
i know how you THINK, and thats enough.
as i said before, an engine failure isnt time crucial enough for a survival instinct to kick in. just stop saying the same shit over and over again, it doesnt make it true.
>I never implied that anyone in this thread was a terrible airman, so please don't say that I did.
lrn2read, i called YOU a terrible airman.
>I'm done
good
>>
How about those power-off 180 base to finals?
Whew!
>>
>>1041026
You'd very quickly go to jail if you picked yourself over others as PIC of an aircraft, as it's very explicitly stated in Federal Aviation Regulations Part 91.119
>>
Newcomer here, out of curiosity is pretty much everyone in this general strictly aviators or do y'all count any technicians among your ranks?
>>
So I'm a young guy with student loans and pilots licenses, and I like to dream about aircraft I could possibly own in the future.

Anyone know any single engine aircraft that have:

>at least 4 seats
>Cruise above 110kts TAS
>1000 to 1500 lb useful load
>Relatively modern avionics (GPS w/WAAS, Com/Nav x2 min)

I've been looking in the spare time and just wondering if people could help me narrow down to different models to look at and compare.
>>
>>1041094
All aerophiles are welcome.
We may also ask you questions from time to time.
>>
>>1041123
Havent flown single engine aircraft in years, but I always liked bonanza. Maybe that would fit.
>>
>>1041123
>single engine
>1650 useful load
>1 crew + 5px
>135kt cruise
>you choose your avionics

How about a KC 518?
And you can't beat the takeoff distance on this thing.
>>
>>1041138
not helicopter rated unfortunately

>>1041133
I was looking at a B36 a bit ago, though I wouldn't immediately need 6 seats and I want to do a homebuilt as well.
>>
>>1041094
You're among friends here
>>
>>1041142
>I was being facetious about the chopper.
>>
>>1041042
Now pull the power midfield downwind. Whew.
>>
>>1041123
RV-10

Four seater that cruises at 200 mph with avionics as desired.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv10.htm
>>
>>1041123
Lancair IVs when they still made them.

>Cruises at 220kn at 24,000 ft.
>>
>>1041131
Great, and I have no problems with that. I've only been in the aviation world/industry for around three years, but I can certainly answer to the best of my ability if anyone is curious about anything.
>>
Just got my first "real" (turbine) industry job flying helicopter tours in the Grand Canyon.

Pretty stoked.
>>
>>1041491
That sounds fucking awesome.
>>
>>1041433
Those are fun as fuq

>>1041491
Neat. Get ready for hot and high with plenty of weight, but the views will be spectacular
>>
>>1041572
Been flying underpowered helicopters at max gross and >5,000' DA for the last few years. It should hopefully be a fairly smooth transition.

But the views...
>>
File: A22LS_yellow_01.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
A22LS_yellow_01.jpg
1B, 486x500px
LSA fag here.

Not by choice, but due to Ausfag level budget.

I found these sweet operators in SE Qld who have a Cessna 140. I went for a fly and it was rad, but they run lessons in an A22 Foxbat for like $200 Ausbux per hour (good value for austards).

This said, it appears to be slavshit and I am pretty sure I could bench press it. Am I going to die in this tiny little thing or what? Anyone have experience with Foxbats?

Pic related is the Foxbat.
>>
>>1039983
>so desperate for a jet you drop 130k on some rickety piece of shit with a jet smaller than a Embrarer 190 pilot's epenis.
>209 knots
Fucking. JUST. Go get a proper plane jesus.
>>
>>1041615
Youre a total faggot, no fun allowed etc. git fuckd
>>
>>1041614
>US$80,000
>Max. takeoff weight with a Rotax912ULS 100hp engine: 450 kg (992 lb)

What a piece of shit, especially for that price tag.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroprakt_A-22_Foxbat
>>
>>1041615
>rickety
>Sonex

Them are fighting words boy.
>>
>>1041615
>so desperate
i don't get this word in that context. youre not "desperate" to buy any plane you retard.

how the hell is being "desperate" among the reasons of getting a small, fun jet? are you high?
>>
>>1041688
I'm sure the kit is much cheaper. Says only 500 man hours to assemble which isn't all that bad. Get a buddy to help you out and knock it out in a summer after work.
>>
>>1039026

I love that image but can't find anything with better resolution on google. Does anyone have a better source please?!
>>
>>1040680
I like how the interior is bare-bone stripped, because the bitch would crash into a tree
>>
>>1041433
They're my approach of choice now when I'm alone in the circuit.
I tell my instructor that I 'need the practice'. Whew.
>>
I like listening to sports games through the adf and broadcasting the highlights on enroute freq for a few seconds when it's a quiet day.
Gets a few laughs.
>>
File: DSCF3098.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSCF3098.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
>>
File: DSCF3065.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSCF3065.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
File: DSCF3080.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSCF3080.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
File: DSCF3092.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSCF3092.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
File: DSCF3106.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSCF3106.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
File: DSCF3119.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSCF3119.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
File: DSCF3084.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSCF3084.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
Why would you fly on one tank?
What is the advantage over just staying the valve on both?
>>
Hey lads,
I need a new pen for my logbook.
What do you guys use and recommend?
>>
File: g23--blk.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
g23--blk.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1042228
Pilot G2 0.38
Really fine point so you can get everything in that little box but dark enough to come out clearly.

Issue is you can't usually find them at walmart or your typical big box store. I used to go to Office Depot here in town just for these pens (they get stolen a lot in my flight department) but that closed down quite a number of months ago.
>>
>>1042214
the tank selector is a redundancy relevant part.
imagine you have a leak on one tank: you can switch to the second one and will only lose half your fuel. if you dont have one, both tanks will be drained and youre left with no fuel at all.

apart from that, the fact that you have to check the remaining fuel in the wings and switch around them would make you realize you have a leak, even if you forget to do your ops-check.
>>
>>1042228
Zebra F-301.

Pilots are good if you like smearing ink everywhere, or prefer your pen to warp or break. They're also twice as bulky as a Zebra.
>>
So, multi-engine, what should I expect?
>>
I need to get a camera up again sometime this winter
>>
File: wow.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
wow.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1039864
>The difference is buying a 25k plane now and putting 200k worth of repairs into it, or buying a 225k plane now with good inspections and equipment.

Almost right.

The way things go down in the real world is more like;

>buy 225k plane now
>fly until the engine legally needs an overhaul
>sell plane for 205k
>buy new 225k plane

This is the main/only reason that Cessna is still in business and that certified aircraft are a thing at all.
>>
File: burningmoney.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
burningmoney.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1042384
>So, multi-engine, what should I expect?

Squared expenses, cubed squawks.
>>
>>1042384
A good leg workout without rudder trim, everything happens really quick, and prices are ridiculous. But overall it's a lot of fun
>>
>>1042384
dead foot dead engine
>>
>>1042414

To be honest, I'd probably have a separate account where I shove money aside for inspections and overhauls whenever I get to that point
>>
>>1042384

a lot of >>1042415 been working on my particular multiengine section for a year now.

If you're working through to commercial, get that private MEL ASAP. The extra PIC hours you get are worth the checkride
>>
>>1042445
I already have my commercial, just got it last month. So I'm going to be spending a while on my multi-engine lab?
>>
>>1041614
Foxbat guy here. Went flying in it today. It kicks ass. It had massive tires on it, one of the nicest planes I've ever flown. Gentle as can be.
>>
File: go-karts sadly.png (1B, 486x500px)
go-karts sadly.png
1B, 486x500px
Well, fuck.

Lost a friend in a plane crash yesterday. Another friend was in the back seat and is in pretty serious condition. Major head and spinal trauma. He might lose an eye, and may not ever walk again, let alone fly again. Both were staple characters at the airport and it just won't be remotely the same without them there.

Shit, this sucks. I want 2016 back.
>>
>>1042473
what happened?
>>
>>1042453
Maybe. It all depends on the number of MEIs and how Maint is done as well as the airplane.

Considering how you're calling it a lab, am I right in assuming you're in a College-Based 141 school flying Seminoles?
Then you shouldn't have MUCH trouble. The Seminole is hard to break compared to a Baron, which I've been working in.
>>
>>1042473

Condolences...

Though I have to echo >>1042494 so that we may learn where others screwed up.
>>
>>1042494
>>1042540
Thirding this

>>1042473
What the hell happened?
>>
File: Rocketwreck.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
Rocketwreck.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1042566
>>1042540
>>1042494
There aren't too many details, but as far as I can judge:
>Passenger was CFI and one of the best and most experienced pilots on the airport
>PIC was airplane owner; has always been a nervous pilot and rarely flies without SIC
>They pulled the airplane out for the first time in months to practice touch-and-goes on a calm, clear morning
>Engine quit shortly after one of the touch-and gos
>Airplane promptly nosed down and began right turn
>Made it about 120 degrees around
>"Belly-flopped" into grass field just inside the airport boundary
>Apparently rolled out for some distance before spinning and collapsing gear (or perhaps sinking in mud, I'm not sure)
Maybe >>1039117 has a point after all.
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2017/01/harmon-rocket-n275js-accident-occurred.html
Flaps do not appear to be extended. There was no fire and, according to a friend, no avgas odor near the wreck a few hours later.
>>
>>1042586

Engine Failure due to Fuel Starvation shortly after takeoff, then attempting the "impossible turn."
Terribly Sad to Hear.

As for the landing on the road, I have a feeling the bellyflop is what got them, and not the gear collapsing and spinning.

Also on that, I did some quick looking on google earth (picrelated)
In red a general guess of the flight path from pictures and articles given
Black is self-explanatory
Green is Runway Centerline

Now most of you, including myself saw the field shown by the orange line and thought "That's Perfect just put it there." I have a feeling the airplane might have been too high to get it put down there by the time the engine failed. Same story with the one road that's just to the south of the Orange, not to mention it looks like only a small little 2 laner. Maybe the field south of Harrington and east of the Orange? Maybe. But hindsight is 20/20.
>>
>>1042611
I'm sorry for your loss.

The impossible turn can be tempting, but not worth the risk. I was taught to make the turn when I was in training 15 years ago, but nowadays the procedures call to make the forced landing in front sector, and generally I think thats a good thing.
>>
>>1042658
What was it said about a turn back to the runway? It's not just a 180 degree turn back, but more a 270?
>>
I need a vector to the vikki victor.
>>
File: Nolan's wreck.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
Nolan's wreck.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1042611
It looks like you misunderstand the situation. They didn't end up in the settling ponds like you depicted, they actually wound up in the southeast grass between the ponds and the ramp. Find the playground between the baseball diamonds and look right across the street - that's roughly where the airplane came to rest. And the tracks indicate they touched down going Southwest, still away from the airport centerline (they had not reached past 180 and begun to teardrop back like you have depicted).

>Now most of you, including myself saw the field shown by the orange line and thought "That's Perfect just put it there." I have a feeling the airplane might have been too high to get it put down there by the time the engine failed.
Quite the opposite, actually. Given where they wound up, they were probably right above the 27 numbers when it quit, or close to it (keep in mind, the Rocket has plenty of horsepower to climb to 300' by that point... when it's running properly, at least). Had they continued straight ahead, they would have wound up well short of your "perfect" spot. A straight-ahead landing would probably have put them just past the fence into the upper swamp, or perhaps not even that far. Unless you decide to try your luck ON Rincon St, straight ahead does not look hospitable at all.

>Maybe the field south of Harrington and east of the Orange?
Mike Nolan (who used to do freeway traffic reports from the air) actually crashed there years ago in another engine failure (I think he was on a long approach for 27 at the time). Caught a powerline and collapsed the nosewheel, but got out with minor injuries. Plane caught fire and burned up, though.

>>1042666
Usually, but at this airport the South grass abeam the airport is perfectly landable. Even used to be a designated runway, decades ago. You COULD get away with only 180 here, particularly if operating west.
>>
>>1042685
>27
>27
I mean 25. I need sleep.
>>
>>1042685
>It looks like you misunderstand the situation

Well, I never claimed to be an expert. Just made a lot of assumtions and you know what they say about those.
>>
>>1042685
>>1042768
And you know what they say about assuming things...
>It makes an ASS out of U and ME
>>
>>1042670
Via the VICE VOR?
>>
File: 1484747473837.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1484747473837.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1042355
So I bought one today
>Writes heavy like a pencil
>'fine' is pretty thick for remarks boxes
>too light and skinny to get a good handle on
You call that a pen?
>>
File: DSC03966.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSC03966.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1042473
sosory.
,asa,,, survivor., totally mashed.
,,,,,for me,
, it was TOTALY WORTHIT!!!
,weknew the risk,,,, the fall is ever close., in time, it MUST happen.,, buthe glory never totally fades.
, FLY!!! FLY YOU FUKKRS!
>>
>>1043157
what the fuck is wrong with you man?
>>
File: shining_528x297.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
shining_528x297.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Does anyone know of any good FBOs at CYZF?
>>
>>1043177
too much of cholesterol.
>>
Here's a little gem for y'all
https://youtu.be/Ccq30minme8
>>
Why does the indicated airspeed read higher in the event you have to use the alternate static source? If the cabin pressure is lower than the outside air, wouldn't the exact opposite happen?
>>
>>1043548
Never mind I wasn't taking into account the fact that the ram air would stay constant. So I guess my next question would be is how big is the difference in airspeed? Is it only a couple knots difference I'm guessing?
>>
>>1043548
your aneroid capsule still has the ram air inside of it, which doesnt change, but the static air around it is of a lower pressure because of a suction effect of the air travelling fast around your not airtight sealed cabin.

are you studying for your CPL?
>>
>>1043554
That lightbulb went off for me just as you replied!

No, I'm on a break from flight training at the moment but I'm reviewing my school's instrument ground school lessons online so I go into it pretty well prepared when the time comes
>>
>>1043553
Your answer is in the POH for your airplane. In a 172N the difference is 0-4 (negligible) knots depending on window and vent configuration, flap configuration, and how fast you are. Here's a picture I took of my iPad screen with the figures.
>>
>>1043556
thats cool, im in fight school atm studying for it.
got the exam in less than 4 months so its getting serious now
>>
File: lolganoobs.png (1B, 486x500px)
lolganoobs.png
1B, 486x500px
GA pleb tier

When you guys talk on center, we're all laughing at you.
>>
>>1039077
depends entirely where you are... in your picture, obviously the road.

in the middle of winter at night, field... roads are often narrow, slippery, and have ditches on the sides.
>>
>>1043570
You're implying all GA pilots are unprofessional, and so show your ignorance.
>>
>>1043578

I'm implying GA is pleb tier full of stall/spins waiting to happen... it's the push to talk button not a push to think button.

>center cessna 282nb WITH YOU uhm, trans... going to uh

Lmfao.
>>
>>1043579
terrible bait
>>
>>1043581
awww triggered GA pleb is in denial that the big boys laugh at them when they talk on the radio.
>>
>>1043590
>implying i GA
>implying theres anything wrong with it
lol please nigger
>>
>>1043600
go back to microsoft flight sim geek
>>
>>1043603
goddamn your bait is so bad i can barely deal with it
>>
>>1043570
How does it feel to be company bitch while others go fly for fun
>>
>>1043590
Occasions ive laughed at the "big boys":
Transmitting on guard instead of center,
Calling an airport by the wrong name ("Stanford" tower at KSFB),
Saying hello to departure while still on tower frequency,
Not catching large portions of clearances, saying "runway zero-niner" while in the states etc. Etc.
>>
>>1043570
lol pleb victor freqs
>>
>>1043441
That chorus is pretty good. I'm gonna set that as a ringtone for crew planning - if I get around downloading and cutting the mp3.

I have sinatra's come fly with me now, it's quite apt as well but change is good.
>>
>>1043590
>>1043570
Get a trip so I can filter you, please.

>>1043623
That's always the case when flying to new places. I just flip through airports pages.. not all the unwritten procedures are clear to those who come to your home airport for the first time. It's different to fly just some local rounds and touch and go's than to fly to tens of new airports every year in different countries. I love it but some countries' atc's are real pain to deal with. Middle east comes to mind.
>>
>>1043683
I'm F-16 ANG, but excellent effort.
>>
>>1043704
http://www.youtube-mp3.org/#v_id=Ccq30minme8
Just download it! :)
>>
File: IMG_0238.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0238.jpg
1B, 486x500px
I just saw a litteral tail drager 172.
Apparently the conversion is as simple as a battery on the tail.
Yet it costs $$$! I feel ripped off.
>>
>>1039208

MIG 21 for sure. The fact that it's basically just a great big jet tube with wings, a tail and a cockpit stuck on almost after the fact makes it so endearing to me.

I love that kind of Russian design philosophy, "Plane must do thing. Plane will be built to do thing. Plane will have nothing on it that does not directly help doing thing."
>>
>>1042473

Shit, man. sorry to hear that.
>>
>>1043852
>vodka evaporation cooled radar system

Only good for 12-15 minutes, beyond that you are either Hero Of Soviet People already or heading home after becoming a Hero Of Soviet People.
>>
>>1042538
>someone else getting their multi in a baron

My school has an old as fuck 55. They don't make parts for it anymore (thank you beechcraft) so everytime it needs something, it has to be special made. Also, our mechanics don't like to work on it so when it goes down it tends to sit. The annual took three weeks. If they had gotten their shit together I would have been able to get my check ride in late November/early December. Instead I've been cucked to the moon and back and am only getting my checkride in TOMORROW and the weather is going to be utter ass.
>>
What's the source on the OP pic?
>>
>>1044104

oh, I didn't say it was GOOD, just that it was my favourite for its weirdly simple design.
>>
>>1040800

Aren't there grass runways?
>>
So I've been looking for a flying club to get some fun flying done now that I'm taking a break from training. I've got 3 options

Option #1: Club based out of the same airport as my flight school(30 min drive from my house). Two identical Archers like my flight school with GPS and autopilot. Buy-in is $5500, monthly fee is around 150-170 and 95/tach with 18 current members. However, they are looking at selling one Archer and investing towards a 6-seater like a Saratoga.

Option #2. Flight club an hour away. C172R, C172S and C182 with rates from 114-145 wet. 1800 buy-in, 55 monthly fee with around 80! current members.

Option #3. Initially was the club I was going to go with. 1960something Archer II. $2000 buy in and 50 monthly fee. Main problem: they're not currently accepting any new members.

The fuck do I do, guys?
>>
>>1039077
Road obviously... I don't want the plane to flip and kill me after landing.
>>
What is your income and why do you fly?
>>
>>1044390
Can't tell if trolling
>>
>>1044392
it doesnt really matter if hes trolling or just incredibly stupid, we should just ignore him
>>
going to start learning to fly and I've got a realistic choice between a Cessna 150 and a Grob 115.

I've chosen the Grob because the 150, I took my trial lesson in was a washing machine, but it handles way easier than I expected, so I'm slightly worried if this will be more twitchy.

So basically, what are the handling characteristics of a 115 and any general tips for a complete novice.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1044529
If it's more responsive, user a lighter touch. Don't over think that part.

Come to your lessons prepared. Do your homework, and brief yourself on every flight before you get to the lesson. Know the weather, the maneuvers that are going to be practised, and start reading the aircraft's operating handbook. Start studying for written exams yesterday.
>>
>>1043710
... then why do you bend over and let center switch you to victor?
>>
>>1043710
>manchild
>>
>tfw passed my checkride on the 9th of December
>FAA website is finally processing certificates from December
HYPE
>>
File: into the abyss.gif (1B, 486x500px)
into the abyss.gif
1B, 486x500px
>9 hours and 13 landings in
>Still can`t make a smooth landing worth shit
>>
>>1045278

Don't worry, even after hundreds of landings people still have bad landings
>>
>>1045278
13 landings is nothing. You only spend a few moments in the transition from a stabilized approach to a round out to flare to touchdown, so even though you've spent several hours flying, and a few in the pattern, you've only had maybe two minutes of practice actually landing. Do not be discouraged. If you manage a decent landing this early on, great! If not, just aim for consistent improvement. If your instructor is giving you good coaching, and you continue to develop your "feel" and skill, you'll eventually grease one on so smooth, you'll spend the rest of your flying career trying to match that days performance.

I had 20 hours in my logbook and I set the airplane down so gently that day, the moment we touched was literally imperceptable. I had to touch the brakes on rollout to convince myself we were actually on the ground. My instructor grinned at me, and I've chased that perfect touchdown ever since. You'll get there.
>>
>>1045290
I'll mention I'm now a >1000 hour instructor with seaplane rating, tailwheel endorsement, and students of my own and I still will occasionally make a landing too firm or awkward for my liking. We all do it. Then comes the art of making excuses (it was night time, this runway is not the sight picture I'm used to, I've never flown this airplane before, I got a gust over the numbers, we're loaded very lightly, etc.) It's best to leave all those things unsaid even if they're true. Just don't bend anything.
>>
>>1045278
It's all in the approach. If you nail the approach, it's practically a gimme.
>>
File: thumbs up pilot.png (1B, 486x500px)
thumbs up pilot.png
1B, 486x500px
>>1045283
>>1045290
>>1045291
>>1045311
>tfw went on to do touch-and-goes today
>First landing I did was fucking perfect, right on the 1000ft mark, centerline, smooching that tarmac
>Subsequent landings weren`t that great but still fucking beaming from that 1st landing

Thanks lads, y`alls words helped me out for real.

Cheers!
>>
>>1045466
Atta kid.
>>
>>1039026
Why is 4chan allowed to fly planes?
>>
>>1045488
We're big guys.
>>
>>1045517
4u
>>
Did my long IFR cross country yesterday, in a fast twin with my instructor pulling engines and failing instruments with stops at Floridas two busiest airports for student traffic, KSFB and KDAB. I was busier than a one armed paper hangar. Sure slept good last night tho!
>>
File: IMG_0359.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0359.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
>>1046211
>long IFR cross country
hisssss
>>
>>1041009
>>1041015

tbqhwyf im with you on this one man. ill avoid people as best i can but im not killing myself.
>>
>>1046263
LEAF DETECTED
E
A
F

G
E
T

O
U
T
>>
>>1045488
we're gonna crash these planes

with no survivors

fbi note: meme
>>
Had to cancel my commercial multi XC today. Autopilot on the fritz had it in maintenance, and apparently the avionics guy doesn't come in on weekends. I don't even need the autopilot, but they wouldn't dispatch it ;_;

Was really looking forward to a nice VFR XC to Colorado, I've never been. Time to dick around on this Arctic seal-hunting forum all weekend and look at YouTube videos of other people flying...
>>
>>1046337
>I don't even need the autopilot, but they wouldn't dispatch it

Funny, because my school has a Baron that doesn't even have an autopilot. Thankfully I took the one that was FIKI and had AP for the long flight to CO.

>nice VFR XC to Colorado

Where you based out of? I could guarantee the most exciting thing you'd see is wind farms. >picrelated
>>
File: IMG_0361.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0361.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1046282
Hey man, just because you're cold doesn't mean the rest of us can't have some fun up here.
>>
>>1046402
>>1046263
beautiful
>>
File: IMG_0354.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0354.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1046419
>>
File: IMG_0353.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0353.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>
File: IMG_0360.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_0360.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1046419
Not bad for first day on the job eh?
>>
>>1046402
>>1046445
>>1046446
>>1046447
WHY DO TURBOPROPS FROM SMALL AIRLINES TURN ME ON SO MUCH
>>
File: 20170203_121918.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
20170203_121918.jpg
1B, 486x500px
It has been almost an entire YEAR after moving to Europe and I'm finally gonna be able to fly again.
Will sadly have to ditch my old Piper Arrow IV as I had to leave her in the states, but I'm gonna be starting on a Robin DR400.

>Wood+Canvas instead of Metal
>Control stick instead of Yoke
>Sliding Canopy instead of Door
>3 wooden propeller blades instead of 2 metal blades
>Built in 2013 instead of 1980s
>Diesel instead of 100LL

Is there any learning curve involved with these changes that I should know about? I know the door doesn't matter obviously. Also, I opted to stay on steam gauges because I'm afraid to become over dependent on technology.

I'm so fucking happy anons, come rejoice with me.
>>
>>1046462
Also forgot to mention the lack of "complexity" like the landing gear and adjustable prop.
>>
>>1046447

Where does CMA fly that WestJet/AC doesn't?
>>
>>1046390
I fly out of KPRC (ERAU). We fly the DA42NG, which is a great plane once you learn the quirks, and is a lot of fun to fly. It is built for cruising, too. With the 35 kt tailwind today I planned a 45% power setting to get me a 160 kt ground speed at a whopping 8.1 gph total. A 280 NM trip using 20 gallons of fuel is pretty damn good.

Hey, I'd take a day of flying over a day of sitting on my ass at home
>>
>>1046462
Frankly I like the yoke more. I thought a control stick would be better, but it just doesn't feel the same. With the wood prop, watch that leading edge around gravel or dirt, they like to ding up.
>>
>>1046476
I've been worrying the same regarding this. I mean, I can always adat but I feel like the yoke has always allowed for more accuracy? I'll just have to see, the controls seem really light after all
>>
File: DA42NG cockpit.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DA42NG cockpit.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1046480
To me the controls just feel better with a yoke. Most non-aerobatic planes have a left-hand stick, and for those of us with dominant right hands it takes some getting used to
>>
>>1046558
I'm an obligate southpaw and I honestly prefer the setup of a chopper, where the right hand operates the cyclic; it leaves my more dexterous hand to interact with the control panel
>>
So airliners can only pressurize the cabin to 6,000-8,000 feet due to structural integrity, right? If it were compressed to sea level, the pressure difference would cause the fuselage to expand more and cause a safety issue? Just want to make sure I'm understanding the concept
>>
>>1040857
>>1040837
>>1040826
>>1040974

You fucks, there's no set in stone answer.

You always have to take it on a case by case basis, if you don't, you're just limiting your options. What if the road has a 20kt crosswind but the field is into the wind? What if you had to pick between an extremely narrow road with telephone poles and a nice dry field?

Piss on all this posturing about saving peoples' lives. You have to make the decision based on the information given to you at the time.

P. S. Pretty easy to tell if a field is plowed... or if it's firm enough for a landing. It's really not that difficult.
>>
>>1046629
Forgot to mention that I am a flight instructor
>>
>>1046558

That panel can eat a dick.
Absolute fucking garbage.
>>
How do I into aviation lads? My only experience is playing Ace Combat and watching Macross
>>
>>1046624
It could do it, but you wouldn't get as many cycles out of the airframe.
>>
>>1046629
Based.

>>1046633 where do you live? How old are you? What is your budget?

>>1046480
>>1046558
It's not a big deal. Left hand, right hand, yolk, stick, a couple hours practice and you forget about it.
>>
>>1046636
Straya, 21, no budget
I meant how do I into aviation more like stuff to watch and read to learn
>>
File: DSC04213.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSC04213.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1046629
BIRDSTRIKE!!Enginesout!! QUICK!>,, land into bridge, no,nooo, that's no good.
,, igotit! Land into large buildings!!,, no,, that wont work eather!!!
,,,,,,,,wellllllll Doge BITEME!, the only real option is to land onto the River where no die> YOUR A HEEEEEEERO!
,he could have shimyed it, up onthe shore.
>>
>>1046637
In the states we have free publications like the Airplane Flying Handbook that are for flying in the US, Though most of the things in there apply to all aviating.

Pay close attention to anything about compasses, they behave differently in your part of the world.

Disregard anything regulatory you read until you can be sure it's Aussie.

Download the Airplane Flying Handbook and Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators, good places to start.
>>
>>1046640
Don't forget about the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK). It's a great reference
>>
>>1046632
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>1046650

Just about everything.

I guess the plenum placement is ok.
The rest should really get binned.
>>
File: da42 cockpit 2.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
da42 cockpit 2.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1046660
Its better than any Cirrus cockpit by miles, and I haven't run into anything I dislike when I fly it. Do you not like the G1000 or just the general layout?

pic related, but not me
>>
>>1046639
i love you
>>
Konkordski for sale on ebay! Can we pool our money together? With a bit extra, we can get some surplus Yak-38s for some airshow/mercenary work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Russian-TU-144-SST-Airliner-/182442671622?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a7a6e3e06:g:U-0AAOSw241Yk5u2&item=182442671622
>>
>>1046913
The Tu-144 was a piece of shit when it was new. Save your money for something worth flying
>>
File: (screaming).jpg (32KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
(screaming).jpg
32KB, 540x405px
Anon from

>>1045278
>>1045466

Solo`d today lads, top of the world right now

Planes are cool as fuck t b h
>>
>>1046982
LAD
A
D
>>
>>1046982
>>1047000
Congratulations! It's a real kick, isn't It? You're a pilot now!
>>
>>1046982
A day you'll remember for the rest of your life. Welcome to the club, lad
>>
>>1046982
I remember I got zero warning before my instructor had me full stop and hopped out of the plane, telling me to do my solo. Nearly shit myself.

How'd you handle it? Were you nervous?
>>
>>1047026
Oh yeah, though it hasn`t really registered yet, I think it`s gonna take me a few days if not more to fully comprehend how cool it is to have solo`d a plane.

>>1047044
Cheers lad.

>>1047050
I handled it pretty decently methinks, all landings were satisfactory for me, except for the second one where I landed smoothly but transitioned to level to quick, and the plane bounced a bit. But for the first takeoff and landing I was real nervous, but I managed to handle comms quite while despite it.

My own instructor kinda japed me, I thought I`d be flying my solo tomorrow or the day after, but it was today so I got caught real off-guard aswell.
>>
Hey fellas! My wife and I have been helping friends build airplanes for a few years, And we've decided it's time to start on our own.

I've absolutely fallen in love with the j-3 cub after doing my seaplane and taildragger training in them, and I want to build one off my own. Which set of plans will get me the closest to the real- deal j3? I've looked into the wag-aero sport trainer, But out doesn't have the characteristic exposed cylinders and eyebrows.. thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_2280.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2280.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I did my first Solo yesterday!
>>
File: spicy meme 4.jpg (297KB, 690x1118px) Image search: [Google]
spicy meme 4.jpg
297KB, 690x1118px
>>1047195
Me too f,am

Good job!
>>
>>1047196

Congrats!

I just found this thread for the first time, Wish I would have known about /gag/ months ago.

I'm doing my second solo on Friday.
>>
So apparently once of my fellow students rented a 172P model with a friend... then did some spins.

FAA didn't really care. School does. Because neither of them are flight instructors and Flight Ops Manual pretty much prohibits it.

Only thing that fucked them over was posting a video on social media...
>>
>>1047195
i know a story from a flight school, i think somewhere in germany or switzerland, a dude there made his CPL and when he did his first ever solo, he put a selfie stick out of a small opening in the window with one hand, and filmed himself while flying with the other one.

he then chose to put the video on youtube, the flighschool got a hold of it and immediately terminated his contract and kicked him out.

it didnt stop there, though. the ex-student afterwards sued the flightschool for kicking him out, and in court he obviously had to show the video.

people from the "FAA" of this country saw the footage there and apparantely it was so grossly negligent, they straight up banned him for starting a commercial flying training at any other school in that country for 5 years, lol
>>
>>1047208
Why do people insist on being fucking stupid

Flying is the only time I ever feel truly happy and alive, but it's serious business.
Am I some overly cautious loser that is flying for the wrong reasons?
>>
>>1047217
Some of us may choose to fly like that without broadcasting it too.

That being said, don't worry about what other pilots do. Fly safe, fly fun, and fly smart. No one else cares beyond that. Keep doing you, anon.
>>
>>1047195
Had a heart attack, thought you soloed at my old home airport, KGED.

Where you based? Looks similar to mine.
>>
>>1047223

KJYO
>>
>>1047208
Once again, a stupid kid gets caught in his stupidity by bragging about how stupid he is on facebook

You'd think with so many similar cautionary tales people would wisen up
>>
>>1047237
You have too high of an expectation
>>
I tried to find this on airline pilot central, but couldn't... so maybe you all can help.

Are there any western European airlines that will hire American pilots?
>>
>>1047255
Have you tried applying or asking for applications?
>>
>>1047284

no, I'm nowhere near ready for that lol. I'm just asking out of general curiosity. I just think it'd be interesting to live in Europe for a few years
>>
>>1043157
>,asa,,, survivor., totally mashed.
>,,,,,for me,
>, it was TOTALY WORTHIT!!!
Care to elaborate? What happened?
>>
Looks like they finally found a solution for soiled uniforms in flight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ySnzlu8Cx8
>>
>>1047320
Always trust your instruments!
>>
President Trump is speaking right now about advancing our aviation infrastructure with Legacy Airline CEOs
>>
>>1047378
Could trump bring us back to the 70s golden age of planes?
>>
>>1047387

I was watching part of the interview. He said he's not pleased with the conditions of our airports and ramp materials. So he was talking to the CEOs to see what the airlines want as far as airport services go.

He also mentioned he's not happy we don't have High speed rail in the US...
>>
>>1047378

I hope they do something about Flight Time requirements at least for part 135.

Seriously, I'm about to get my Commercial MEL Sunday and I STILL can't fly for most places because I don't have 1200 hours total time and 500 hours cross country. Like, how the hell am I supposed to get that without paying it out of pocket?

So oh hey I need to pay MORE money to get my CFI.
>>
>>1047391

I'm not sure the requirements. But Norweigan Air International is specifically hiring US pilots
>>
File: Screenshot 2017-02-09 10.37.53.png (185KB, 1050x952px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-02-09 10.37.53.png
185KB, 1050x952px
>>1047392

1500h total, 500 turbine time.
>>
>>1047395

You could be a flight instructor. Realistically, that's what I'll be doing to get my 1500 hrs TT for the regionals. Unless I decide to go fly Part 135 for Hageland Aviation in Alaska
>>
>there are people in this world right now that would give up a job flying to have a cushy UAV job for cheap bucks

disgusting desu
>>
I KNEW HE'D DO IT.

Trump working with airlines and manufacturers to cut and relieve FAA regulations. Also modernizing ATC facilities.
>>
File: 2cool.gif (2MB, 231x239px) Image search: [Google]
2cool.gif
2MB, 231x239px
>>1047423
mfw
>>
>>1047391
Get a part 91 job then.

I have 1300 hours and am just now getting into 135 ops, and there's no way I would want to be doing this with any less experience than I currently have. It seems like a lot of hours when you don't have it, but a 250 hour pilot is just simply not equipped with the skills or experience to be doing any of the crazy shit you might be tasked to do under 135.

Also, cfi is one of the cheapest ratings to get, since there are no flight hour requirements and it basically comes down to how well you can talk through a maneuver.
>>
So, I'm in the middle of my Private Pilot course, I'm about to do my 2nd solo in about an hour. whenever I finally finish my PPL, I'm debating on just doing the rest of my training through this same flight school, since it's cheaper than the big schools, and I like how there is no time rush. Is that a good move? Or would it actually benefit me more to go to a Fast Track program at ATP Flight School?

If I stay with my local flight school:
>I can keep my well paying job while I train, so I have a good paycheck every month
>relaxed environment, if I don't understand something, I have time to learn it at my pace.
>$20,000 cheaper

BUT I estimate it'll take me 2 years before I get all my certs, and perhaps a year or so as a CFI to get the regional minimums logged.

ATP:

>done with everything in 6 months, flying for a Regional in less than 2 years
>name

But- expensive as fuck. Would be unemployed during that time.
>>
>>1047587
It comes down to how much debt you're willing to take on. employers don't care how you got your certificates, so long as they're able to use your certificate and you don't have any accidents or violations.
>>
>>1047578

Where should I even start looking for a part 91 job?
>>
>>1047255
>>1047285

the US Commercial Pilots License will NOT be of ANY use in Europe.

Europe never makes an American CPL or ATPL valid, same goes vice versa. you cant fly anything with a north american registration commercially if you have a European license.

they do give you credit for the Private Pilots License, though.
>>
>>1047606
Crop dusting, banner towing, sight seeing, aerial survey, instruction. All these minus instruction aren't super common but do exist if you look for them. You can check sites like jsfirm.com to get an idea what's out there, but networking with other pilots is your best shot at jobs like these.

There's a reason flight instruction is such a popular choice; it's super easy to get into and is the most consistent way to build hours. But it's not for everyone, that is true.
>>
>>1047618

That's disappointing.. :(

I hate the women here in the US. I'd like to have a European girlfriend. But I can't do that from the US.. fuck
>>
>>1047645
are you fucking baiting?
>>
>>1047655

What? I'm being serious..

That's not related to aviation obviously. But, it is one of the reasons why I wanted to live in Europe for a few years
>>
Meeting the president of a flying club I'm interested in joining next week. What questions should I ask him? I know I'll forget some until after I talk to him. So far I have these:

How many current members?
What's the availability of the plane usually?
Any plans for upgrades in the future?
Renters insurance; yes/no?

I know I'm probably forgetting some stuff
>>
>>1047715

Explain to me what all a flying club actually is? I honestly don't know
>>
>>1047717
I don't have a plane to fly outside of my school's training. A club usually has a buy in fee, a monthly fee and an hourly fee to use one of the planes. So you're splitting the cost of ownership among multiple members
>>
>>1047718

You can't just rent a plane from your flight school and pay an hourly rate?

My flight school does aircraft rentals for non-students
>>
>>1047720
Nope our flight school doesn't rent out the planes unfortunately.
>>
New thread when
>>
>>1047722
why?
>>
>>1047731
It's at the bump limit.
>>
File: PHOTO_20170211_125949.jpg (1MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
PHOTO_20170211_125949.jpg
1MB, 4128x2322px
Hello /gag/, I come from a far off board in search of the name of this plane here, under the wing it says Y-OUG I . It's a good'n thanks for any help boys
>>
>>1047814
Ford Tri-Motor
>>
New thread
>>1047945
>>1047945
>>1047945
New thread
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 66

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.