[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gag/ - General Aviation General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 57

File: Screenshot 2017-02-11 20.48.11.png (534KB, 593x447px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-02-11 20.48.11.png
534KB, 593x447px
continued from >>1039026

I couldn't have asked for better conditions for my Commercial MEL tomorrow. And I've already flown with this check pilot for the same flight, (he did my End of Course ride for a 141 school)

But hey look what I found while planning from RCM to OKC >picrelated
Who says he's only into the Airlines when he has V-way Intersections named after him?
>>
File: IMG_2374.jpg (4KB, 105x50px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2374.jpg
4KB, 105x50px
TRUMP!
>>
>>1047962
Make Airways IFR Again!
>>
>>1047945
I just got my commercial pilot's license today in the mail.

Feels good, man. Now I just gotta find work.
>>
>>1047973

How long did it take from Private to Commercial? I'm estimating 1.5-2 years to get all of my training done. Then I'm assuming I'll spend 1 years as a CFI to get my hours for the regionals?
>>
>>1047976

Depends on the school and instructor and your capability and your schedule. Lots of factors.

But good estimate at 3x a week, barring WX and Maint, you could probably get Private to Commercial done within that time frame. Though you'll probably be spit out with about 300 hours once you get the CFI, so it's more like 2-3 years unless you're teaching every day.
>>
>>1047980

>so it's more like 2-3 years unless you're teaching every day.

2-3 years Including all my training to get 1,500 hours.. or 2-3 years as a CFI...?
>>
>>1047983

As a CFI
>>
>>1047984

FUCK

FUUUUCKKK
>>
>>1047986

Good news is, you're in track to be paid well as a CFI, all the high timers are getting snatched up by the regionals as the majors are retiring the boomers.
>>
>>1047987

My Instructor makes shit. I probably make double what he does right now. What you said was so fucking unmotivating. I'm 26, and living at my mother's house right now because it allows me to live rent free and use my paychecks to pay for flight school. I was only hoping to do this for 2 more years. But 5-6 more years? I couldn't afford to live in this area on a CFI salary, even if I went part time at my current job... FUCK
>>
>>1047988

Welcome to General Aviation. Pay is shit, you're going to be in debt for forever, but the views and experience hopefully pay for it all
>>
>>1047945
OK guys I'm in some shit. I'm almost done with my XC shit and just left with getting down the maneuvers... But I haven't studied for my written yet cause I'm lazy...

Possible to pull it off in one weekend? I have bought the sportys online course
>>
>>1047989

I get that. I know that I'm not going to be making much as a Regional Pilot. But that's what crash pads are for. Being a CFI until I'm 31 years old and living with mom is depressing..
>>
>>1047989
>>1047991
save us from this regulation hell
>>
Im not even asking why and i DONT want to start a huge sit-fest, but is there anyone here who prefers Airbus to Boeing? dont even give me reasons, just tell me pls
>>
File: A350.jpg (382KB, 1777x1167px) Image search: [Google]
A350.jpg
382KB, 1777x1167px
>>1048065
*shit fest obviously
>>
File: IMG_1329.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1329.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Fuck, I'm thinking about telling my supervisor at work today to only schedule me for 32hours a week. That way I'll have more time for flight training during the week. I'm 25 years old, and just did my first Solo 2 weeks ago. I need to start getting this shit done.

1. How old are you?
2. How many hours do you have?
3. For those in the airlines. How long did it take you from Day One PPL to 1,500 hours? (If you're not yet at 1,500 hours, what is your estimated time frame)
>>
>>1048065
I like their cockpits
>>
File: IMG_2379.png (160KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2379.png
160KB, 640x1136px
I just bought this. Anyone own these?
>>
>>1047990
If you haven't scheduled your check ride, take your time and do it correctly. If you have scheduled your check ride, reschedule, take your time and do it correctly. It's people like you who frustrate and inconvenience ATC and fellow pilots with lack of knowledge and poor etiquette. Quit being lazy.
>>
>>1048208

Not him, but is the written test difficult? I'm really bad at taking written tests. Always have been.
>>
>>1048208
Well my question wasn't that I should study or not. I was asking how long does it take to study. I have no idea how much time I should dedicate to it to "do it correctly" as you say
>>
>>1048210
No, it is not difficult. It's the equivalent of a "101" level college final exam or high school final exam. Passing the exam is very simple, having the knowledge you need to be a competent pilot is much more difficult. Having any score under 90% is unacceptable. 70% is passing.

The test is more of a filter to keep you from wasting an examiner's time than it is a measure of aeronautical knowledge.
>>
>>1048231
It is like taking a 101 level, 3 credit hour class. That is 36 hours of dedicated study. (3 credit hours×12 weeks)
If you study 5 hours a day, you can do it in a week and a day. If you just want to "pass" you can do it much quicker.
>>
File: newschopper-4-300.jpg (20KB, 300x402px) Image search: [Google]
newschopper-4-300.jpg
20KB, 300x402px
>>1047988
Do try to check your other options. My first jobs out of the gate were banner-towing and tourist flights at a seaside resort town. Flew almost 500 hours in one summer. Rent-free in a crappy company-provided house, but got what I needed out of it. And of course when the next war heats up, there'll be demand for civilian contractors to fly light cargo & UAVs. Not for everyone, but it worked for me. Good luck.
>>
Welp, busted the first checkride of my piloting career.

Examiner wanted me to do an emergency gear extension (something I have NEVER done in the airplane before), and I was in the process of it, but started cranking when I was well over Vlo.

Feel like an idiot, but thankfully everything else was sat so after a quick flight with an instructor I just need a quick flight with the examiner.
>>
>>1048260

My instructor was telling me about this 1 student he had who was really good. He said when he flew with his examiner he aced everything perfectly. He was so happy that he passed everything that he completely forgot about the Class B airspace that blankets our airport. He was so happy he forgot about it
>>
>>1048260
Sometimes we all need a bit of failure to keep us in check. If we stumble our way through training without ever failing we will fool ourselves into a false sense of confidence. I know I'm guilty of that.

At any rate, fly the plane and follow the checklist
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: IMG_2413.jpg (17KB, 283x178px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2413.jpg
17KB, 283x178px
>>1048332

Jesus Christ
>>
File: giphy.gif (2MB, 250x364px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2MB, 250x364px
First night solo tonight lads!
Wish me luck!
>>
>>1048274
Well shit. Let that be a reminder to keep your enthusiasm in check until you're back on the ground AND parked.
>>
>>1048498
Enjoy it my dude, it's fun
>>
File: 1481361561987.jpg (46KB, 487x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481361561987.jpg
46KB, 487x720px
>>1048274
Your first prize after earning your private license, is the suspension of said same license! kek
>>
>Buying a plane to share three-ways for time building, then selling the whole a/c after.
á Ž á Ž á Žá Ž á Ž á ŽYour Canadian tips and tricks
á Ž á Ž á Žá Ž á Ž á Žá Ž á Ž á Žá Ž á Ž á ŽGo!
>>
So, I hope to have all of my flight training done within the next 1.5 years (i fucking hope). Would it be smart of me to move to Florida to get a CFI job? I imagine I'd build hours faster there?
>>
>>1048683
340 good flying days per year down here, And two (three?) of the biggest flight schools in the country certainly are pros.

If you can land a job, and you're in the right place in life, It's an option.
>>
>>1048683
I'm good friends with a couple flight school owners and a common bitch is "our CFI's only last 8 months before we lose them to a regional"

If that's what you want then its certainly a viable option so long as you come down with enough emergency cash to survive for a couple months. Also how much you make as CFI depends entirely on your personal motivation. You have to aggressively schedule for yourself.
>>
File: comf.jpg (3MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
comf.jpg
3MB, 4608x2592px
Crazy day today lads, did my long cross country with my instructor. 2.5 hours, winds 240 at 30, gusts on landings were up to 28 knots (needless to say my instructor did the landings), cleared for my solo cross country which I`ll do when the winds are less hurricane like

25 hours

I need more cigarettes
>>
Should I be worried about offending my flight school if I buy a plane to hour-build instead of renting one of their fleet?
>>
>>1049124
Fuck no. Being your own plane and rent their instructor.
"Offended" should have nothing to do with it. It's strictly business.
>>
Are theses threads always this ded?

I never visit /n/, I'm from /int/
>>
>>1049142

Yes, because GA in it's nature is slow.
Unless someone posts something controversial then there's good debates.
>>
File: IMG_1574.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1574.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I had my intro flight today. The long walk to the plane from the terminal, the pre-flight inspection of all critical parts of the plane, going through all the checklists for pre-flight and eventually pressing the key in to start the plane all felt amazing. From then on though, things felt stressful but exciting. My instructor had me flying the plane nearly the entire time, and I felt a little overwhelmed by how many things I needed to check and pay attention to. Learning to use the rudders for the first time, then immediately taking off with them, then later maintaining a climb rate and speed while keeping course was difficult to manage. It felt like the first time I got into a car to learn how to drive, but easily twice as challenging. There were a couple times where I could keep the plane on a straight course easily and I could look around and take in the experience, but most of the time I felt quite pressured to get everything just right. Does it get much easier to do all this at once as you fly more often? Being behind the controls for the first time felt a bit surreal and I can't wait to be back at it, but right now I feel like I'll never be able to do everything that's required at the same time.
>>
>>1049153
At first, it's exciting, terrifying, wonderful, stressful, and better than you could have ever dreamed.

It's much the same as driving a car, welding, or really any technical skill.
You will learn how to do everything; muscle memory will be ingrained.
Right now, you have to actively think very hard about -everything- you need to do, and probably even worry about stuff you don't have to do.
As you gain experience and confidence, things will become second nature.
You'll start a turn, and realize that your feet automatically input the correct amount of rudder without even thinking about it.
Other things you will learn techniques for, Like you were saying with the climbout, eventually you'll learn how your aircraft responds, -that is a very big part of the learning curve-, and eventually, a few flicks of trim will perfectly maintain your speed, and leave you free to correct your course for wind.

Perfect example:
I just went up with a friend today, their first time flying. We went on a cross country. I gave them some control during enroute, and at first they were over-correcting for turbulence, and quite jerky with inputs. After about 20 minutes of flying however, they were able to keep it +/- 10° 200' and smooth and level when the wind picked up.
After we landed, they commented that at first, they were freaking out; They were flying a plane! But in time, they learned how it responded, how little actual control inputs you need, and were more confident and less scared.

With time the sensory-overload will lessen. However, you don't want to become complacent.
You will still think about what you're doing. but you will know what to expect, and be able to 'think ahead of the airplane' to anticipate maneuvers, requirements, and tasks.

That's why you train; to learn how to do everything. And that's what your instructor is there for. Ask him anything.

And one last thing;
Welcome to the club. :)
>>
>>1049153
At one point we all had to learn to walk, and it was no easy task then. It becomes much easier as you gain experience, but be careful, once you start its hard to stop!
>>
File: 1485705032575.webm (3MB, 886x480px) Image search: [Google]
1485705032575.webm
3MB, 886x480px
How did you guys deal with the time it takes to get those 45hrs to get an EASA license?

I work full time and only have the weekends. Even so I get 1 or 2 hours a week at best, most of the time twice a month. I like it but it's taking forever at this rate. To be fair though I am still stuck with circuits.

I love it but I'll be honest and say that it's tiring and eating what little spare time there is. I just want to be done with it and be able to fly at my leisure.
>>
>>1049153
It gets easier, and more challenging.

Some days you're lazily floating 100' above a river in a piper cub watching fish jump and smelling the neighbours BBQ, OTHER days you're shooting an approach in a piston twin with one engine out and half your instruments failed, with an examiner sitting next to you, grilling you for the second or third hour of the most grueling flying you've ever done. It's all fun.
>>
>>1049156
>>1049164
>>1049254
Thanks for the input, fellas. Giving flying a try was easily the best decision I've made in the last couple of years. For the longest time I felt like I had nothing to really look forward to, but flying gave me a direction. I'll have to remind myself that it just takes practice and I'll keep going at it. Really looking forward to the day I can post here with a pilot's license on the way.
>>
File: F16 formate slow.jpg (42KB, 800x501px) Image search: [Google]
F16 formate slow.jpg
42KB, 800x501px
>>1049124
Heck, if you buy a plane they would be interested in, they might very well offer Leaseback deal... then the flight school could give YOU money.
>>
File: bushpilot_small.jpg (714KB, 1200x856px) Image search: [Google]
bushpilot_small.jpg
714KB, 1200x856px
Can anyone explain the state of Canadian bush flying nowadays? I see a lot of people saying it's a dead, obsolete thing that hasn't existed for decades (they talk about it like punk music) but there are companies or fliers describing themselves that way.

Are they posers? Has the definition of the word changed? Did it never die?

What's the difference between a bush flier from say the 60's to one now?
>>
>>1049395
I would also like to know this.
>>
What's the difference between an MF, ATF, UNICOM, and a VFR advisory frequency?
>>
Test
>>
File: Macchi Castoldi MC72.jpg (62KB, 564x450px) Image search: [Google]
Macchi Castoldi MC72.jpg
62KB, 564x450px
>>1049496
Did you really just make a test post?
>>
>>1049514

Yes.

Because 4chan had blocked my ISP provider a week ago. I sent a complaint to the 4chan feedback page, and was testing to see if it got fixed. Which, thankfully it did
>>
Well I finally got my Commercial MEL License today! 1.5 years later thanks to maintenance and weather and instructor availability.

Did the exam initially last Sunday, did well up until the Examiner gave me an emergency gear extension. Had a brainfart, forgot the Vlo/le, and failed. Everything else great.

So got with my instructor today about noon, did a half hour review flight, finished IACRA paperwork, and then the Examiner (being the chief pilot at the school as well) said he'd be available to finish me up that day.

So I did. And I got the temporary certificate sitting in my flight bag now.

I am right now partaking in the ancient pilot ritual called "getting smashed"
>>
>>1049645
Nice job, man. What are you looking into doing to rack up your hours? Any aerial photography or fire watch jobs around? Or are you just going for flight instructor?

I remember I mixed up my emergency pressure and in-flight fire descents on my checkride. I have no idea how I did it, but everything else was great so I passed.
>>
>>1049653

Plan right now is to get my Com SEL within a few months (if the school is benevolent and gives me an open instructor) then CFI, hopefully by May, probably by August.

To be honest, I'd love to do anything else at the moment, just so I get more experience outside of the training environment. Thing is only things advertised are 135 jobs that need ATP-like hours
>>
>>1049655

Hageland Aviation in Alaska
>>
>>1049658

That's probably the most promising thing I've seen for a fresh Comm MEL. Doesn't hurt that it's in Alaska.

Issue is Family is in Missouri and serious girlfriend is still just a sophomore this year... I'm sure she'd love it but I'm really sure she wants to finish her degree.
>>
Aviation > girls
>>
>>1049691

desu senpai (hello autofilter) when I was single I was seriously considering staying single forever and just using the extra money to buy awesome airplanes and fly.
>>
>>1049691
This.

>>1049695
That's my plan senpaitachi.
>>
File: attachment-2.jpg (64KB, 900x590px) Image search: [Google]
attachment-2.jpg
64KB, 900x590px
>>1049691
It's not wrong.
>>
>>1049695

Honestly this is my plan too. Maybe not but an airplane. But, just have money and the most important thing... TIME.

Granted, I'm 26 and never had a girlfriend before, and apparently according to female friends I'm good enough to have one. But even still, what's the point. Fall in love with a girl, invest shit tons of time and money into her to get my heart broken or worse, a divorce and lose half of my shit?

An airplane wouldn't do that to me..
>>
>>1049773
>25
>apart from elemantary school hoes never had an actual GF either

desu, the literally only thing that pisses me off about it is that maybe its a big minus in the interview.

>soo... what about the distance from home, is your girlfriend ready to move as well?
>oh i never had a GF, boss, you can base me on the south pole if you'd like!

probably makes them think youre a freak or something
>>
>>1049081
Embry-Riddle? No way you aren't in Florida
>>
>>1049814

>the interview

Wait what, that's an interview question?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (115KB, 844x715px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
115KB, 844x715px
Currently studying holds for the first time. For example, let's say I get the clearance "Hold NE of OCTOE on the CMI 062 radial." How would I physically get to OCTOE, or any other fix in that airspace? Can you fly directly to it or what am I missing here?
>>
>>1049834
Forgot to say the red dot is where my plane is. How would I get to OCTOE from there?
>>
>>1049833
I never got it so far, but you can imagine that it might come up at one point or another for a question like Anon suggested.

Then again who cares really, to an employer that might be good too since that just means you'd potentially have more time.

>>1049834
That an IFR chart, or do you just get really different maps over there? Generally speaking though wouldn't ATC give you a routing along to the holding point, or give you one that is in your current flight path? Otherwise logic dictates that he just wants you "direct to" like you said. Might as well ask them though before you just fly into a mess if it's unclear at some point.

Correct me if I'm wrong though I've not done an awful lot of radioing yet.
>>
File: 1487442293723.jpg (179KB, 844x715px) Image search: [Google]
1487442293723.jpg
179KB, 844x715px
>>1049834
>>1049835

Typically if there's no routing information to get to OCTOE (Such as "Proceed Direct Champaign VOR then V251, Then hold NE of OCTOE on the 062 Radial, Expect further Clearence 10 min from now") They expect you to go direct to the holding fix. If there's any question, don't be afraid to ask.

So yea, Picrelated.
Head Direct to OCTOE
Report Entering the hold and use a Teardrop entry for the hold
1 min legs because the Controller didn't specify leg length.
>>
>>1049841
I'm guessing you can do direct to OCTOE only if you have a GPS, correct? Because I'm lost as to how you would be able to do it with just a CDI and tracking radials
>>
>>1049691
My wife and I are both pilots. We fight over which airplanes to buy. Not a bad situation.
>>
>>1049846
Correct. You would need an rnav system to go direct. You can also ask for vectors to intercept the radial if you are in radar contact.
>>
>>1049852
I was so lost as to how I would go about doing that since last night. That clears a lot of things up, thanks
>>
>>1047988
At my university 141 school, from zero to 1000 hours, one person has done it in 4 years. Most people who come in with nothing take 5-6 years but that is also doing a degree as well. If you don't have to worry about schooling you can get your training done faster.

Also, there are some people who have there private pilots license coming into university so they are able to get through the program in three years and get to 1000 hours in 4.

If you're doing it part 61 you might be able to get your CFI quicker because even though you need more flight time, depending on your schedule, your instructor's schedule, and your geographic location, you can get your CFI significantly faster than at some part 141 schools.
>>
>>1048136

>1. How old are you?

>2. How many hours do you have?

200, I have my commercial and multi and am currently working on my CFI.

>3. For those in the airlines. How long did it take you from Day One PPL to 1,500 hours? (If you're not yet at 1,500 hours, what is your estimated time frame)

I should be graduating from my part 141 school at the end of April, then I'll instruct for about a year until I have 1000 hours and can get my restricted ATP because of the school I went to.
>>
>>1049847

I imagine finding a female pilot (especially an attractive one) , and dating her is not an easy thing to do.
>>
>>1049822
Not ER, just doing a part 61 flight school just north of WSB.
>>
>>1049880

I'm part 61, I'm not in college either. I Think I'll have all of my training done within the next 1.5-2 years. But I was just wondering as a CFI, how long it'd take to go from 250 to 1500 hrs. That's why I'm considering moving to Florida once I finish all my training
>>
>>1049896
A guy I know who graduated from my university and went to Florida to instruct got up to 120 hours a month and I think he almost always got above 100.
>>
>>1049899

That would be great. I just hope I can actually get a CFI job in Florida
>>
>>1049402
No one really knows the difference.
We're pilots, not radio hams.
>>
>graduate
>get practically forced to do nothing but CFI
rrrreeeEEEEEEEE
>>
File: IMG_2497.png (1MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2497.png
1MB, 1136x640px
Alright which one of you was this
>>
Do any mechanic lurk in these threads even? Im almost done school and im still not sure what field to work in, thinking Small category planes and structural repairs,My helicopter teacher used to work for the police and fix their helicopters and he would always travel everywhere with the copter and always made it sound so interesting so i may want to do that but then again it will come with crazy hours. what should i do /n/iggers
>>
File: 1448950812872.gif (480KB, 400x256px) Image search: [Google]
1448950812872.gif
480KB, 400x256px
HAHAHA
I agree!
>>
>>1049847
Finding isn't easy, dating super easy. We never argue about what to do on long weekends.
>>
>>1049970

How does the average single pilot find a female pilot? They are rare, and I imagine there is so much competition
>>
>>1049934
Why don't you want to instruct? It's challenging, rewarding, and it's flying.
>>
>>1049972

Some people are not cut out for teaching
>>
evidently. after 9/11 when all those airplanes were grounded. weather across all of north america got warmer. the airliner's exhaust was helping to reflect solar radiation back into space.

so airliners could be used to combat climate change. by having them run rich during the day and lean at night.
>>
Non-pilot here. I know general knowledge about planes, but not flying them or the laws. I'm looking to get a private license, what's a decent rough price to look for?
>>
>>1049987

Expect to get financing. And yes, I read it correctly as in you're looking to go to a flight school and you want to know about how much it would take.

The 141 program at my school is about $10,000. Chances are, you're going to be under that, but not dramatically under unless someone is REALLY generous.
>>
>>1047945
based
>>
>>1049994
>>1049987
Ten grand is a reasonable budget for part 61 training as well, although you'll probably come in closer to 7.
>>
>>1049987
Non-American here, but like the others said 10-20k seems to hold true around the world, probably a bit cheaper depending on the country. Depends on what plane you fly for training and how long you take too.

Not sure how it goes in other parts but you might not have to pay it all upfront either (albeit that may be cheaper depending on how the school handles it) but rather just pay for the hours you do, spread out over however long you take.
>>
>>1049987
It took about $20k for me to get mine, but I went for helicopters, first, and they're wicked expensive
>>
>>1049994
>>1050033
>>1050035
>>1050045
Thanks for the input. I can totally do 10K with a bit of savings. Something I'll be looking into in a year or two.
>>
File: X-Plane 2017-02-19 12-45-50-72.png (287KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
X-Plane 2017-02-19 12-45-50-72.png
287KB, 1920x1080px
>>1049834
Another quick question. I've been playing around in XPlane to practice hold entries and flying them. I was just holding SW on the 048 at 10 DME radial. This is what it looks like after 3-4 legs in the hold. Would these be acceptable in a real life scenario/checkride? I don't know how neat they're supposed to be is all
>>
>>1050103
All long as you're on the protected side of the hold you're fine. One minute inbounds are nice too.
>>
>>1049846
>>1049852

I think to do it legally you need to have GPS. Military is allowed to do non-system point to points. The low tech way of doing it is using an RMI card and saying you're at 12nm on about the 160 radial and you're going to 12nm on the 062 radial. This is a 1:1 ratio so you draw a line on your RMI card from the 160 tick to the 062 tick. Then move this line to the center of the card and where the head lines up is the heading to fly to get to 062 at 12. Doing it I got ~029 heading and using skyvector it came up with 028.

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/pubs/folder5/T34C/P-340_CH1.pdf

Starts at the bottom of pg 165 of the pdf.
>>
File: IMG_0394.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0394.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: IMG_0395 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 2751x2064px)
IMG_0395 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 2751x2064px
>>
File: IMG_0397.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0397.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: IMG_0399.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0399.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>1049900
Since the regionals are actually paying a living wage now and are hiring like crazy flight schools are always hiring CFIs. Especially in places where they run through them in so little time.
>>
For the Canadian cpl 300nm x/c,
Does the '3 landings other than the point of departure' include the destination?
(426.75.1 (d) (iii))
Do I have to do depart-land-land-land-land at destination
Or can I just do depart-land-land-land at destination?
>>
>>1049395
Bumping for this, I'm curious too
>>
File: IMG_2514.jpg (70KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2514.jpg
70KB, 500x280px
Anyone been to the Paris Airshow? I'm thinking about going this year
>>
>>1050399
Already headed for Duxford for the old timers this year.
>>
>bad wx today
>bad wx tomorrow
>bad wx all week
[Angry British Noises]
>>
>>1050405
>inna flight school
>already slow at getting hours because of job
>12 hours
>Winter starts
>get sick for two weeks
>airfield closed due to slush and mud for another two weeks
>aircraft in 100h check for another weekend
>horrible fog last week
Getting really paranoid that I won't finish before my theoretical exams run out at this rate.
>>
>>1050409
What country? How long are they good?
>>
>>1050410
Switzerland. I got one more exam to do but after you finish all of them they're good for 24 months and you have to complete all of them in 18 months.

So really I'm stretching it as far as possible by getting my last exam in summer or so.

In hindsight I should've started with the hours before doing the theory stuff.
>>
>>1050412
Switzerland sounds like a difficult place to log a lot of hours quickly. Clear skies and tailwinds, friend.
>>
>>1050425
Depends on where you are. Winter is just fog season here tho.
>>
>Commercial multi XC cancelled for weather/mtn obscuration again
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1050435
>weather/mtn obscuration
>Commercial Multi XC
>not taking the opportunity for Actual Instrument Time.

I mean, I bet you made the right choice and the WX isn't what I'm imagining it, but people would nearly kill for that experience.
>>
>>1050435
Hey man, I had my commercial checkride canceled three times over the course of a month and a half because of constant shit weather and maintenance issues.
>>
>>1050445
It was a VFR flight, and the freezing level was too low (aircraft has no icing protection installed). I'd love to get some actual.

>>1050452
Yeah I'm on cancelation #2 now
>>
>>1049886
tried that already. She broke my heart as previously feared by another anon. Not worth.
>>
>>1050472
Dude, you fly, you should only be interested in planes, what's wrong with you.
>>
>>1050405
[Echos of Angry Canadian Noises can be heard in the distance]
>>
File: IMAG0706.jpg (703KB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0706.jpg
703KB, 2688x1520px
I got to fly a glass panel for the first time last weekend. It would have been nice if the weather was a bit calmer, but it was still a really neat experience.
>>
>>1050476
figured if I had a girl that would be interested in planes it'd be even betterer. Whatever, she used the independence excuse, codeword for "I'm too immature to commit to anything"

Bullet dodged, now I just get an rv-3 instead of a 4.
>>
>>1050490
That's the spirit.
>>
When does multi stop being hectic/terrifying and start being fun? (I'm only 4 hrs in btw)
>>
>>1050495
When you stop skipping leg day.
>>
File: They have the planes.jpg.jpg (47KB, 604x483px) Image search: [Google]
They have the planes.jpg.jpg
47KB, 604x483px
>>1049132
>>1049124
>>1049336

I just talked to the chief pilot, and it's not so much a matter of offending them,
It's more like they won't add the time to my training record unless I sign out their planes.
This feels wrong...

They also sounded surprised that I wanted to start saving money.
>>
>>1050495

>multi is hectic and terrifying

Describe this please ..
>>
>>1050498
>It's more like they won't add the time to my training record unless I sign out their planes.
That doesn't seem legal.
>>
>>1050495
You're in command of a ship now, Not a toy. Think far ahead, be smooth, And give yourself time. You will learn to be truly present in the airplane. You will take care of your motors, And they will take care of you. You will know your ship like you know a lover, and timidity will cease. Read your POH and understand each system the way a monk understands his faith. Practice forethought and dedicate yourself to your craft, And you will be rewarded. Be as sharp in your thinking as a figure skater on ice, And be as flowing as a master pianist. Do not juggle, prioritize. Do not fight your rigging, trim it. Do not recall your memory items, KNOW them. Be at once at peace and ready.

THEN you will tame the tiger, instead of holding it by the tail, waiting to be bit.

Above all else: Aviate first. Navigate second. Communicate third.
>>
>>1050541
>>1050498
Additional wtf info,
They fly 172s, and I want to get a 150.
When they learned this, they were like, 'You want to go x/c in a 150? that'll take forever!"
Well, yeah, the point is to BUILD FLIGHT TIME.
I have to get the same time one way or another.
>>
>>1050498
I would see your instructor about your logbook. If you work out a deal with him personally, that flight school can jump in a lake. Ask him to freelance for you and offer him whatever they're paying him plus 20%, I bet you still come out saving money.
>>
>>1050544
>>1050495
>use lots of metaphors and tell them to your instructor
>>
>>1050548
I'll talk with him about it tomorrow.
Hell, I'll even still do dual with their planes still, I just want to save a bit of coin on my solo time building and 300nm.

I've always been told that in aviation, you never burn bridges lest your career be grounded.
Now I'm scared of what to do moving forward...
>>
>>1050546
Ive flown my trusty 150 across the U.S. 7 times now, And it's been a bonnie, a beauty, and a joy forever, on 5.5 gph. 4.8-5 If you're just banging around locally with the power back. I've logged almost 500 hours in it, taken my private, part of my commercial, my instrument, And part of my CFI checkrides in it, did my spin training in it, flown it to the Bahamas, across the great lakes, And into three class B airports, plus a hundred little grass strips and community airfields. Long live the mighty 150! The KING of affordable flying!
>>
>>1050553
You are living my dream.
I will do my best to keep the 150 alive and have a sit-down with my cfi tomorrow.
>>
>>1050498
Yeah that doesn't sound right.

My school had a guy who purchased a 172 and then put it on lease to add to the school fleet. They seemed to give him priority for training as well because of it.
>>
>>1050534
Just not used to having things move so fast. Also its loud as balls, which is cool but a little intimidating. I'm doing ok and >>1050544 is right i need to study my POH more, stay ahead of the plane etc.
I remember when going for instrument went from being a challenge to being enjoyable, just wondering when I'll make that shift here too.
>>
>>1050495

Basically >>1050544

A lot of it is pre-planning. On takeoff I usually brief to the departure climb (after leaving pattern) with all power and heading changes.
During the climb you run the Cruise-Climb checklist and ensure you're on course
Before you reach "Thousand to go" (call this out, it'll help you keep track of altitude) review your cruise power settings.
Have a flow for your cruise checklist, then verify.
Calculate your TOD well beforehand. You should have known it before you took off if it was a planned XC.
Know how to brief an approach quickly yet accurately (I swear I sounded like an auctioneer rattling off the brief for the approaches I was so used to)
Know the power settings that are standard but don't be afraid to change them slightly to fit the weather.

Yea.... I don't quite know what else I can help with. Forewarning though, Emergency Gear Extension, run through it physically at least once. All the way. I got busted on my checkride first time around because I've only read about it but never did it. Then I did it on the second time around and holy fuck was that interesting to say the least

I'm going to miss flying the Baron.... Sweet airplane, Questionable Trainer.
>>
File: h160.jpg (466KB, 1775x1185px) Image search: [Google]
h160.jpg
466KB, 1775x1185px
Just turned 18, and I'm super fuckin keen to fly choppers. I know exactly jack-shit about helicopters, but from what I've read so far it sounds pretty fucking cool.
I'm gonna tee up a lesson real soon just to see if it REALLY is my jam.
I'm looking at getting a commercial license, but how much should it cost me? Apparently they upped the mandatory 100 hours to 150. I'm an Aussie by the way.
>>
>>1050590
Expect to spend a lot of money and have a fun time at the rodeo
>>
>>1050588

Do you think a Piper Seminole would be more forgiving for a student?
>>
>>1050629
absolutely. The Seminole is like a 250cc Honda rebel, and a baron is like a BMW K1200 GT.

Totally different animals. Like comparing a yorkie and a doberman. Man, me and the metaphors today.
>>
>>1050643

Oh ok, that makes me feel better. My flight school uses the Seminole for multi
>>
File: 2015-06-08 14.50.43.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2015-06-08 14.50.43.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1050629

Yes. What >>1050643 Said. I got my Private Multi in a Seminole then moved up to a Baron. No idea in hell why the school got rid of their Seminoles for an airplane that seems to need maint. every other flight....
>>
>all this Seminole talk
What a coincidence, I'm about to start my training in a Piper Seminole.
>>
>>1050690
Gross. What a homely airplane.
>>
>>1050713
>homely

She's a victim of bad lighting don't bad talk her... just because she won't climb with an engine out doesn't mean she's less of a Twin.....
>>
>>1050720
I thought that was the whole point of a twin
>>
>>1050722

Depends on the Airplane and how it's certified really.

The Baron could get at least 300 fpm climb with Critical windmilling, but it's certified to be used in air carrier operations.
>>
>>1050612
Like a life ruining amount of money? I really just want it to be feasible for your average guy
>>
>>1050720
Don't forget sink like a rock in the ocean if the gear is down with an engine out.
>>
>>1050767
That's why the flow goes mixtures, props, throttles forward flaps up, gear up.
>>
>C152 is technically overweight every time I fly with an instructor and more than 1/2 fuel
>still flies just dandy with no performance loss that I can feel
Is this just Cessna covering their arse legally or should I be worried about something going wrong eventually?
>>
>>1050845

Covering their arse mainly. Engineered limits are usually around 1.5 what is in the book, but the FAA will have your ass if they found out.
>>
>>1050845
Yes but you really shouldnt do thaht
>>
>>1050849
We're both big guys though and my instructor wasn't worried about it, which I found odd.
>>
>>1050860
well just remember you probably wont get the performance numbers from the POH, especially on a hot day. It could end up very painful for you
>>
>>1050864
I don't imagine we would be doing it during warm conditions at high altitude airfields, but in coastal britbong it seems to get looked at with more flexibility.
>>
>>1050875
well dont let the CAA find out. unless getting caught is part of your plan
>>
>>1050845
Va changes, turbulence and landings will introduce stress into the airframe beyond its design limits. Don't fly above max gross.
>>
>>1050845
If you dont account for the increased load factor, you could crash this plane, with no survivors. Just keep your fuel less than 1/2 and adjust your lesson length accordingly
>>
>>1050890
This. Besides, If you get ramped or have any kind of incident and they find out you're overweight, they'll violate you.
I have a 150, and if I'm heavy I just fly shorter legs.
>>
18 night circuits in advisory airspace when you're the only one up there for 2.2 hours in 5-mile-vis mist...

I'll change ya man. Oh yeah.
>>
>>1050845
its all about the takeoff roll and speeds.
i dont know how deep youre into the aviation shit, but think about the load factor.

you can keep the plane leveled with a bank of like what, 60 degrees? no problem. thats a load factor of two. this means: you COULD fly that plane straight and leveled, with no bank, no altitude loss, at 2 times the weight you fly leveled with 60 degrees bank.
>>
>>1050970
Until you make a less than graceful landing and crumple the load bearing bulkhead your landing gear are attached to, manage to stall/spin and don't recover with the altitude loss you expect, encounter airframe twisting turbulence, try to extend your flaps right at the edge of the white ark and bend them up, overheat your brakes on landing roll, run out of trim and fight your airplane from rotation until landing, and the problems get worse as the airplanes get bigger. Don't fly overweight.
>>
>>1050961
Shoot approaches in 300 foot ceilings and 1/2 mile visibility to an icy runway, THAT'S fun.
>>
Why isn't Boeing or AeroBus making a BoxWing Airliner?

you get reduced drag and an effectively very long wing.
>>
>>1051021
The reduction of induced drag isn't enough to offset the increased friction drag and weight in any significant way. Also it's harder for the wing to flex. stress of elastic behavior would be reintroduced back into the fuselage or the wing itself if it was a completely closed wing, so they wouldn't last as long. More expensive manufacturing techniques would have to be employed. Could they do it? yes. It's just not economically feasible... yet. New materials and construction methods may eventually make it worth while. Would be neato.
>>
>>1050993
Hey, I've done that! Also with light icing conditions.

I've also hit wind shear on final legs twice now, that's not fun.
>>
Did any of you have a favorite flight instructor doing your early years of flight training?

I did, he was a crazy Vietnam vet. I loved that guy.
>>
>>1050992
yeah, no fucking shit sherlock. im not flying planes overweight, but FLYING one overweight is literally no problem at all.

> try to extend your flaps right at the edge of the white ark and bend them up
doesnt make sense, your dynamic pressure is the same as in the light aircraft.
>overheat your brakes on landing roll
please, nigger.
>run out of trim and fight your airplane from rotation until landing
overweight =/= CG position out of the limits, lrn2read
>and the problems get worse as the airplanes get bigger
wow, thats actually true

if you try to be a smartass, at least do it right
>>
Any helicopter pilots here?
>>
File: 121679624886178.jpg (153KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
121679624886178.jpg
153KB, 400x399px
>>1051068
>unironically wanting to get in an aircraft where the wings move faster than the fuselage and is thus inherently unsafe
>>
>>1051054
I had an ex-Tornado pilot instructor with a short fuse and extremely limited patience for students who didn't prepare for lessons. His rage was legendary.
>>
>>1051069
Is it bad that I'm attracted to the higher levels of danger than fixed wing?
>>
>>1051064
Saying it's all about "the takeoff roll and speeds" is simply not true.
>>
>>1051077
Considering its still not very dangerous, it makes you sound like an edgy dodo.
>>
>>1051075
And he... was your favorite?
>>
>>1051064
>flying a plane overweight is no problem
Why don't you go look up load factor before you tear the wings off you fat fuck
>>
>>1051141
Yes, I prepared for my lessons.
>>
File: LandingFees.gif (4KB, 337x320px)
LandingFees.gif
4KB, 337x320px
This perfectly exemplifies the emotion.

It's usually no more than the cost of fuel for 15 more minutes of flying, but it's the principal of this thing by jove!
>>
Does anyone here ever feel nervous on solo flights?

Like I feel confident in what I'm doing when I fly solo. But I think maybe because it's so quiet I just get nervous
>>
>>1051165
>So nervous that your photo is upside down

When no one responds to my traffic calls for the past two hours, that's when I get nervous.

Just tune in a ball game on the ADF. All the company you'll ever need.
>>
>>1051165
I'm more worried about making obvious mistakes when I'm solo for some reason.
Probably the Dunning-Kruger Effect.
>>
File: 1481499147418.jpg (118KB, 478x700px) Image search: [Google]
1481499147418.jpg
118KB, 478x700px
>>1051075
>>1051141
>>1051157
>>
File: 1479787205125.png (115KB, 750x696px) Image search: [Google]
1479787205125.png
115KB, 750x696px
>>1051163
we must all pay out part, anon.
>>
>>1051165
I always am either flying with my wife, with a student, or with my instructor, so when I get to go solo it's kinda nice.
>>
>>1048136
20 years old

15 hours. Solo'd at twelve with the help of the RAF ATC's ACPS flying scholarships.

Now I'm an ERAU fag. Please don't hate.
>>
>>1051114
Well I was under the impression it was more dangerous than fixed wing. I definitely didn't want to come across like that.
>>
>>1048136
24 years old.
A little over 300 hours.
>>
>>1048136
>>
If any of you are US Milfags. I just got off the phone with the VA. They sent me a form I can use to get reimbursed for Mulit and Commercial once I get to that point of training. So, if you're eligible, use it.

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-6553c-ARE.pdf
>>
Anyone ever done a circling approach in shit weather? Is it as scary as it sounds?
>>
>>1051298
Wait, does this work for vets who already used the G.I. Bill(mine ran out after commercial so i paid multi with loans)?
>>
>>1051317

no, since it will be paid for with my Post 9/11.

Do you claim any disability tho? If you do, make the Vocational Rehab program will cover it. VR is literally an additional TA program for Vets who claim disability
>>
>>1051068
Yep. I fly EC-130s in the Grand Canyon for a living. I'm also a commercial multi-engine fixed wing pilot. Don't let the airplane nerds get you down, they're both fun to fly, but helicopters are 10x harder and 100x more fun.
>>
>>1051315
I've done it right at minimums, not scary. Just give yourself room and try not to leave mda until you're on final
>>
>>1051390

Why not descend past MDA? If you're contact the runway then do what you need to set up to land.
>>
>>1051334
Anything I should learn before I go about with my flight lessons?
>>
>>1051458
Because it makes the approach much less hair-raising to stay at the MDA until you're getting ready to turn final or are on final is the short answer.
The correct way to descend while circling is to "fly no lower than the circling minimums until positioned to make a final descent for landing". So yes, legally you can make a short approach and dive into the runway in a tight spiral, But why would you when you've got 1.5 mile circling approach radiuses for class B airplanes?

The last thing I want to point out is that your gaurunteed obstacle clearance at circling MDA is 300 feet. That means there could potentially be an obstacle several hundred feet above airport elevation, inside the circling radius which you can't see, even though you can see the runway. If you leave MDA early, You can hit those obstacles. If you keep your entire descent path between yourself and the runway which you have a visual on, you can visually gauruntee the path is clear. Do you have to be fully established on the runway centerline? No. But, If you're descending more than 30 degrees off the centerline of the runway, or you can't see your entire descent path WHILE looking at the runway, you need to be asking yourself "am I gaurunteed obstacle clearance?" The answer is no.
>>
File: 1313849195334.jpg (199KB, 750x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1313849195334.jpg
199KB, 750x1012px
[internal cabin screaming]
>>
>>1051459
If you know what aircraft you're going to be flying, become familiar with the pilot's operating handbook/rotorcraft flight manual for it. If you'll be flying Robinsons, the R22 POH is available for free on their website. Committing the limitations and emergency procedures to memory will give you a big leg up.

If you're in the US, check out the FAA's Helicopter Flying Handbook, also available for free in pdf form. If you're not, you can give it a look anyway. It's less regulation and more informative so would be a good read no matter where you are.

Know that the first 5-10 hours of learning to fly helicopters are going to be incredibly frustrating unless you're a prodigy, so just be prepared for that and power through. I taught for a couple years and the biggest demotivator for new students was the first few hours where they struggled with hovering and basic aircraft control.
>>
>>1051517
Praying to god my one talent is flying helicopters lmao. Thanks for the help man, definitely going to look into that stuff.
>>
>>1051484
I don't get it.
>>
Any personal experiences with ATP Flight School?
>>
I nearly had enough experience to start soloing, but work was getting too stressful and I could only choose one thing to focus on.

That was two years ago. Things are a lot calmer. Are my 20+ hours of experience still valid? How do I get back into it?

I have a flight sim at home (yoke/rudder/throttle/trim/VR headset) and have been practicing basic stuff (patterns, stalls, rotating around a point, VOR/GPS navigation, etc) but that doesn't really count for much.
>>
>>1051852

When I was in early high school in 2007, my mom signed me up for flight lessons. I logged quite a bit of hours but never solo'd. I went into the military and then went through a bunch of career changes before I decided to go back on the aviation path. I started flying again this past November have have done 3 solos so far. My first lesson I did in November, even 9 years later I still remembered quite a bit. I guess it's similar to riding a bike. I retained quite a bit of information.

Also yes, as long as you still have your logbook, your hours don't expire.
>>
File: photostudio_1488225646076.jpg (871KB, 1814x1360px) Image search: [Google]
photostudio_1488225646076.jpg
871KB, 1814x1360px
It ain't pretty or fancy, but it'll do for what I want right now..
>>
>>1052012
kek is that the nose mitt
>>
>>1052012
C172N?
>>
>>1052012
What's the cockpit look like?
>>
I think I might be moving to Daytona Beach, Florida.. this fall.. after I finish my PPL... so I can fast track through ATP Flight School.

Is this a good choice?
>>
>>1052196
It depends. You didn't give us enough information on your living situation, goals, finances, etc.
>>
>>1052012
Cool pattern on the paint!
>>
>>1052206

I'm 25 (will be 26 in July).
I currently have a decent paying full time job, but live at my mother's for the time being.
I have $90,000 in my savings
Really the only goal I have is to be a professional pilot. I don't give a fuck about getting married and having a family ever.
Currently working on my PPL, should be done by April.
>>
>>1052212
If i were you i would buy my own airplane and go part 61. Get something reliable and easy to maintain, nothing too exotic. You have the cash to do it correctly.
>>
>>1052238

Not buying a plane. Because if I did I'd be completely broke. Not doing that.
>>
File: fuckup.jpg (5KB, 212x249px)
fuckup.jpg
5KB, 212x249px
Anyone have any tricks for not sounding like a clown on the radios?

I'm not a stranger to ATC; I've got a PSEL+Instrument and I'm very close to getting both my Commercial Single and Multi, but even at 188 hours I still manage to fuck up or omit something regularly. Did it just click for you guys or did you guys practice in any way apart from experience?

I get tired of hesitating and stumbling my way through radio comms, but I can't manage to build any confidence.
>>
>>1052362
Stop being a bitch. Talking on the radio is all about confidence.
>>
>>1052362

I don't know why, but that picture you posted with the image title made me laugh
>>
File: 1323637.jpg (387KB, 1024x695px) Image search: [Google]
1323637.jpg
387KB, 1024x695px
>>1052016
Pls no bully

>>1052148
172M

>>1052178
Looks like pic related. Don't know what that middle section between the AI and altimeter is for, also wish ASI was in knots and not mph, but ill adjust

>>1052207
Well you cant see the bird crap all over it. Hangar isnt too impressive and the birds took a liking to it apparently.
>>
>>1052378
Whoever decided red leather interior was a good idea should be drawn and quartered.
>>
Cant believe but i get to go on job shadowing during my march break, currently at college for aircraft tech and my teacher set this up for us but only a few handpicked students can go and i was one of em. what should and shouldn't i do?
>>
>>1052378
It seems nearly all Cessnas have quite different cockpits, haven't seen two alike yet.
I'm surprised to not see a second altimeter.

Nice 80s leather colour though.
>>
>>1052317 where do you live? I got a damn good 150 for 21000
>>
>>1052395

East coast USA.

But that wouldn't do me any good. Paying for maintenance, airport fees, fuel will add up. Especially since I'm going to be moving and everything
>>
>>1052397
If you so. I keep mine at a class c airport and I do ok.
>>
>>1052397
You're going to pay more for 141, and if you finance it waaaaay more.
>>
How do you guys afford this?
>>
>>1052404
We don't.

Ha ha ha debnts.
>>
>>1052404
By not flying a whole hell of a lot
>>
>>1052404
I hope when I get my licence I can afford it by it being my job
>>
>>1052404
I get paid to fly. I dont fly just for fun anymore.
>>
>>1052404
Right priorities.
>>
>>1052404

We don't have sex or date women.
>>
File: Cessna over the hills.jpg (105KB, 958x720px) Image search: [Google]
Cessna over the hills.jpg
105KB, 958x720px
>>1052602
Damn, you hit the nail on the head. Who needs women when you're married to your aircraft?
>>
>>1052654
>cessna
>>
Can someone tell me why I need to have my balls fondled to get a medical certificate.
>>
>>1052710
Just let it happen, boy
>>
>>1052710

Nobody touched my nuts for my medical
>>
>>1052710
Lol my AME never physically touches me. If you get yourself into the exam room under your own power, he gives you a first class medical.

Men with mutilated and malformed genitals shouldn't be flying though.
>>
>>1052718
>mad cause girls dont like his wrinkly hood
>>
>>1052718
>>1052721
is this for real

are you for real right now
>>
>>1052725
are any of us real?
>>
>>1052739
Are these TAFs even real?
>>
Reminder:

Aviation is more important than girls
>>
>>1052012
Wow is that yours?
>>
>>1052788
correct
>>
>>1052654
That's not a Cessna
>>
>>1052404
my mom is a dentist
>>
>>1052802
Plane of a club I just joined. Waiting on the airport to give me my gate pass to get to the hangars and to get scheduled for my checkout flight
>>
>>1052721
I was referring to damage to the testicles.
>>
>>1052899
its a beechcraft
>>
>>1052212
Are you me? Minus the ATPL part.

>spend little to no money on anything but living costs, vidya and /o/
>In PPL training as is
>Realize there is almost 100k on my account one day
>Realize I'm just a year or two and a good offer away from getting some cool ass biplane
Life's good. I only fear that the plane I saw will be gone without a similar one around by the time I can properly afford it.
>>
>>1053005
I know. Whoever made the filename doesn't know planes.
>>
>>1048136

1) 32yo
2) 2900~
3) Graduated a JAA school end of 2009, started flight instruction in Phoenix for the same school beginning of 2011 thru mid 2014 full time (I had 1800 or so hours at that point, then part time as I got a ground job at an airline too, did my typerating 737 end of 2015 finally. Worth it.
>>
>>1053076

What airline do you fly for?
>>
64gb iPad Mini 4 cellular should be fine if I just want it for Foreflight + a picture here or there in the air, right?
>>
>>1053252
I use a mini 2 wifi only and a Bluetooth gps and everything's fine
>>
Daytona Beach or Clearwater
>>
File: Cessna 310.jpg (55KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Cessna 310.jpg
55KB, 500x333px
>>1052899
Oh, sorry. I'm not too good at identifying aircraft, all I can tell you is it's a tailwheel.
>>
File: Cessna C7.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Cessna C7.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
>>1053291
Have another cool Cessna Anon.
>>
>>1053088
Big blue charter operator in Europe. Should be getting the B787 this fall, that should tell you enough!
>>
>>1047967
>IFR
I hate ot when they can´t se a Ka-6 on their radar and almost crash into it althogh the Ka-6 has the right of way.
>>
>>1053351
You try seeing shit at 250 knots.
>>
>>1052714
>>1052718
What the hell man. I'm going to a different examiner.
>>
>>1048136

> 29
> 3500
> E175 left
>>
Canadian hopeful here with some mild colour blindness.

I bombed the Ishihara test but I passed the Farnsworth D15 perfectly when I went to an optometrist.

Should I expect any trouble when I go for my medical evaluation? I have the signed form for my D15 saying I passed, will they even test me for colour vision?
>>
>>1053429
Don't know about Canada, but in USA they test me for color vision EVERY time, even if its 3rd Class. I make a point of asking the examiner "Why? - its genetic...we don't suddenly wake up one day with color blindness." Them's the rules. Good luck!
>>
>>1053445
Some of the information I've read actually makes it seem like I can get the test done by the same optometrist and bring it in every time if I wanted to. There isn't much specific information about this.

Thanks!
>>
>>1053402

Kek
>>
>>1053402
In all seriousness they want to examine for testicular cancer and to make sure nothing is twisted. If one of your nuts decided to go on a field trip around the other side in flight it would be painful to the point of incapacitation.
>>
File: IMG_4816.jpg (46KB, 960x535px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4816.jpg
46KB, 960x535px
>>1053636

>it would be painful to the point of incapacitation
>>
>>1053636
That would be an entertaining accident report.
>>
>>1053705
testicular agony to the point of passing out is no laughing matter anonymous
>>
>>1051484
It's fine, don't worry about it
>>
File: maxresdefault-8.jpg (135KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-8.jpg
135KB, 1920x1080px
>>1053945
Just trim it out.
>>
File: IMG_2760.jpg (337KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2760.jpg
337KB, 1024x681px
>>1053949

>just trim it out
>>
>>1049952
Semi-fresh A&P here. If you're single, travel/odd hours jobs usually pay a good deal better compared to other jobs on your skill level, just depends on if you're the type that can deal with that kind work.

GA/smaller aircraft work usually takes a bit of time put in (read: years) before you start making a good living out of it, though specializing in either sheet metal/structures or electronics/avionics makes you extremely valuable and will often give you a bit of leverage to negotiate when looking for jobs.

I'm going for business aviation personally; like the jets, like the relatively sane hours, and once you get in with a private company's mx dept the pay and benefits seem to be pretty great. Though if money was out of the equation, I'd go straight GA/recips in a heartbeat, or just do resto/vintage work. Wrenching on pistons feels so much better to me for some reason than turbines.

I got the benefit of going to a 4-year program which allowed me to take two internships and get a taste of what's out there. If you know a couple people in different facets of the industry, you could always ask about a job shadow kind of deal; honestly don't know how that's looked upon but never hurts to ask to even come in and see the workplace for just an hour or something.
>>
>>1054067
Haha funny that you mention it but im also this guy >>1052385
>>
>>1054074
Haha well I suppose that will definitely be helpful then. If Canadian then I have to add the disclaimer that I have no clue how your certification system works and if your mx industry is any different than ours.

Do you know if your job shadow is going to be just walking through and watching or actually getting to help with some tasks? Either way, seeing how the shop looks and getting a feel for the workflow is a good thing on its own, can help you decide if that sort of style/aircraft are what you want to work on.
>>
>>1054080
isnt it hard to get into business jets? dont they only want the best? know if it pays well? one of my teachers said he did contract work on small jets for awhile and he was making i think $60 or 40CAD an hour.
>>
>>1054082
Not too difficult, just might have to be okay with relocating at first until you can build up experience. To get into actual private companies' own maintenance departments is absolutely an experience-required thing, so often you have to start out at larger MROs and repair stations that handle the major inspection and overhaul stuff that a company like Coca-Cola just couldn't do in a reasonable time frame (since most have a shop with no more than 8-15 guys) which isn't a bad thing as this is a good experience-builder anyway and can get you fairly intimate with the different airframes. Put in a few years at something like that and generally if you're a good wrench and a decent, sociable human being, it's easy to either get offers from company flight departments or apply and get a job in one on your own initiative.

My first internship was with Duncan Aviation which is a massive corporate-targeted company with three different full-service maintenance locations and numerous satellite avionics shops across the country. I interned at their main service location in Nebraska and it was massive, like, 8 hangars all said and done, and they saw just about every modern business jet you can think of. Recently I've been working at a smaller MRO in Maine but I kind of got duped at my interview that they had a better corporate program than they truly did (their main focus was RJs), but I'm soon starting a job at a Dassault-owned repair facility, so I figure put in a few years there and see what opens up.

Truthfully, any sector of maintenance CAN have good pay; if there's one thing I've learned in the short amount of time I've actually been working, it's to know your skill level, be confident in it, and do not be afraid to negotiate what you believe you're worth.
>>
File: SoCal TEC.jpg (753KB, 2285x1714px) Image search: [Google]
SoCal TEC.jpg
753KB, 2285x1714px
Southern CA looks so green now! I'm so used to the brown/tan shrub-filled landscape, but now it actually looks nice. El Niño was kind to SoCal
>>
If you could, would you participate in one of these races?
http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1488750701816.webm
>>
>>1054358
Oh fuck yes
>>
>>1054358
No, I'm not that good ha ha
>>
>>1054358
Lol I made that webm just the other day

Honestly I get sad when I think of Precious Metal's ground fire. What a tragedy that was...
>>
>>1054358
I think I would give a left nut just to fly one of those.
>>
File: presence2.jpg (22KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
presence2.jpg
22KB, 500x285px
>>1054358
Don't get me wrong I love the idea of Reno and that kind of pylon racing, but I wish the course was a bit more than an oval.

Not Red Bull tier but you know.

That said I may just have a really romantic view of this kind of air racing, because I am sure it was never much more than triangles and ovals if I recall the books.
>>
>>1050845
>>1050848
>>1050888
>>1050890
No. It has more to do with CG than gross weight. That's why when football players take their Cessna up with buddies they get no elevator authority while trying to takeoff, CG is too far forward.
>>1050970
And this tard. Load factor of 1.5 is for 1.5 of its max G allowed. Not sure what G-allowable is for a Cessna but a 9G fighter jet is essentially made to be able to handle 13.5Gs without the wings snapping off (though the plane is forever done and you should perform a controllability check before landing if you somehow over-G that high.) Still just going over 100% of the designed G-loading will decrease the lifespan of the jet.
>>
>>1049846
>>1049852
>>1050125
>These plebs don't even know how to do a fix to fix
Just follow the magenta line GPS babies
>>
>>1054584
>>1050125

... Except I just explained how to do a point to point...
>>
>>1054583
>And this tard. Load factor of 1.5 is for 1.5 of its max G allowed.
>calls me a tard
>is obviously tarded himself
even if the cessna isnt utility but normal class, the allowable load factors are 3.8 positive and 1.52 negative.
the CG calculation is a different sheet than the MTOW. you calculate them seperately, obviously.

so yeah, if you fly straight and leveled, without any flight control inputs and without any gusts, and without the desire to ever land again, you could fly the cessna with 3.8 times of its max takeoff weight (given the CG is in limits)
>>
>>1054776
So is that 3.8Gs/load factors or 3.8 times the designed G limit? And I know MTOW is different than the CG limits, just assumed that the pilot in question and his instructor aren't such lardasses that they exceed MTOW by so much that they can't take more than 1/2 tank of gas much but rather CG limits... but I suppose it isn't out of the question with some of the flight instructors I've seen.
>>
>>1054779
Not the other guy, but the category specifies +3.8G/-1.52G.
>>
>>1054776
>>1054779
>>1054781
Well, technically the manufacturers give quite a bit of fudge factor for positive g's, no?
>>
>>1054779
>tfw have to loose weight to fully load the UL I'm learning on
At least it's some motivation.
>>
>>1054842
Don't ever assume a fudge factor. It's a dangerous practice, and a quick way to become a test pilot. Also, as aircraft age they suffer metal fatigue from various forces placed on the frame, spar, control surfaces, etc. If an engineer designed in a fudge factor, it will disappear in time as the hours on the airframe build.
>>
Does someone know where can I find any monographs or dissertations about aviation or similar kind of stuff?
Need this shit for muh diploma.
>>
>>1054850
Do you have access to any databases at all? Also what kind of stuff are you looking for, more specifically?
>>
>>1054855
Well, diploma's theme is something like analysis of translated texts (specifically translated on russian language) about aviation, preferably about airplanes. I already want to kill myself after googling for about an hour for those monographs and dissertations. Would be really nice if I had at least non-translated texts, because right now I don't have anything to work with.
I don't have access to anything that a normal person don't have.
>>
>>1054849
Oh no, I don't. I'm just stating they do. Wasn't something along the lines of 1.5?

I know it's done so if you ever move a little out of bounds you don't fuck yourself.
>>
File: vg-diagram.jpg (107KB, 750x493px) Image search: [Google]
vg-diagram.jpg
107KB, 750x493px
>>1054863
Not entirely sure if the engineers factor in 1.5 x load limits, but there's a good reason they don't advertise their structural tolerances. Even if you exceed the limit and introduce structural damage, it may not be apparent without thorough inspection. The whole point is that once structural deformation is introduced, the aircraft is no longer guaranteed to withstand the loads it was certified to. If the airframe is deformed it will not distribute loads as it was designed, and stressed joints or hairline cracks caused by an over-G will introduce a likely failure point/stress concentration point.

Those stress risers don't disappear, and only get worse until the component fails. It may not fail on that flight, or even the next several. But it will fail eventually.
>>
>>1054861
I was gonna say you could check EASA regulations, but they are boring and I checked, they don't come in Russian.

What way does the translation nees to be? Ruski to English or the other way around?

For the former you may have some luck with pilot's accounts from WW2 or accident reports.

Aeroflot 821 is kinda famous for this topic (well more the design philosophy differences between east and west but still) and has both a russian and an unofficially translated english report.
>>
>>1054929
It needs to be translated from english to russian, and I need both original and translated version for comparison.
It also can be just a part of a full text, with a condition of "no less than 5000 words".
Also recently talked with dude from my institute, he said that I probably can use monography\dissertation about airplane parts, like engines, and also anything about air navigation will do.
Thx dude, I'll go google those things right now. You really saving my nerves with this.
>>
>>1054933
Not much else comes to mind as is. The report above is the other way around.

You could check if there are any manuals (AFMs probably) that some carrier translated to russian, but those things are not public.

Perhaps the report about the Malaysia liner that got shot down was put into russian because they would have an interest in it.
>>
What the hell are some entry level jobs for pilots out there? Are there any? Holy shit, every single job I find is 1200 hours minimum. So I suppose the newer gen of pilots can just go fuck themselves then?
>>
>>1055044

Be a CFI or go risk it with Hageland Aviation in Alaska playing as Part 135
>>
>>1055044
If you find a smaller operation with 400-500 hour limits you should try and apply anyways. I've heard of companies hiring new pilots even if they don't meet the hour requirement, but the catch is it will most likely be a small 135 operator or some part 91 tour gig and you may start with a paid internship which can lead to a job offer.
>>
>>1055045
I hate the cold with a passion but I've been thinking of biting the bullet and trying Alaska. Would North Dakota be an idea now with oil potentially starting back up again?

>>1055049
You have no idea how okay I am with that.
>>
File: Glider_in_flight.jpg (27KB, 512x385px) Image search: [Google]
Glider_in_flight.jpg
27KB, 512x385px
>>1055044
My entry-level jobs were banner-towing, glider-towing, tourist flights over NC lighthouses. Some banner-tow ops today give you the option of either paying for the banner towing out of pocket, or else take free training (but with a 2-year commitment). At least you'll get out of there with plenty of hours.
>>
>>1054358
Abso-fucking-lutely. I used to race motorsports on an international level so I'd love that.
>>
File: IMG_2918.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2918.png
1MB, 640x1136px
Guys I need some advice.

I'll be finishing my Private in the next few months, and then in the fall I want to fast track with ATP. I want to move to Florida... well, a buddies girlfriend who is from Daytona Beach just told me to avoid at all costs. That Daytona is a shit hole. She suggested Ft Lauderdale.

Just seeing if any of you think that would be a good move? ATP has a facility there. Plus on the sectional, it shows designated flight training areas.
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 57

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.