[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Build your own bike

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

Is building your own bike easy? I want to build one similar to this but I have no idea where to start.

Anyone got some resources/guides to read up on?
>>
That is a concept bike which gears can be shifted by brainwaves. If you had any idea how to build you werent on /n/ asking how to do it. Do yourself a favor and start by patching a flat tube and replacing a chain.
>>
>>1002320
You don't. It'd cost you far more to build a bike from the frame up than it would to just go in a shop and pay full retail for one, because the startup costs to work with even aluminum, let alone carbon fiber, would eat you alive. This is not even addressing the issue of learning how to weld properly, or learning how to work with carbon fiber properly, or learning how to design a bike frame properly in the first place. You want to do all those things, plan on spending the next 10 years learning the ropes from someone you'll either be working for for low wages, or for free as an internship. It's as non-trivial as learning how to be a luthier or a watchmaker.

If you must insist on this course of action: >>>/diy/
>>
>>1002324
>>1002466
No guys I mean like, assemble a bike with parts I brought online/at a store
>>
>>1002475
Its seems easy to do, hard to fine tune, and not cost effective because you aren't buying anything wholesale.
>>
>>1002320
>>1002475

Building a bike can save you money if you know exactly what you are doing -- both mechanically, technically, and with deal-hunting.

Most people do not save money. Most spend a LOT more because they end up buying multiple saddles, stems, bars, cranks, etc to tweak the bike to perfection.

Also you will accidentally buy parts that aren't compatible. You'll find out you need to buy tools. You end up waiting a week for a part to show up, only to find out it doesn't work. Or that you need a tool you don't have. Etc.

It's frustrating to learn. Once you get in the groove it is okay.

You can save money on commuter bikes, craigslist finds + tuning = saving a few hundred dollars.

High end? I can't say for certain. There are deals to be had on year-old, NOS groupsets. And frames are a weird game. Ebay carbon is something to be afraid of. Good frame + cheap groupset + Soul wheelset could be the way to go

The thing to remember about buying a STOCK new bike, is that you'll need to replace the tires and saddle anyways. And if you are serious, the wheels will be sub-standard as well and need replacing

So if you care a lot about specific parts, and are very patient, building is the way to go. EVENTUALLY you'll do it well enough to save money. But don't expect to. Not on the first few at least
>>
>>1002510
? Chinese carbon is surprisingly good according to many reviews.
>>
>>1002320
Building your own bike from the frame up is an educational experience, at the very least. Do not expect to select the correct parts by any means the first time; there will be at least a couple questionable parts choices as you learn what is needed and what is not needed for your particular project. Also, do not expect it to be cheaper than buying a whole bike. I'm only feeling positive about my current work because I've got extra spending money, and because I highly value what I'm learning as I go.

That said, I enjoy the trials and tribulations of my current track project. I'm also learning to build my own wheels at the same time, so I can add that to my resume. The worst you can do is blow an absurd budget building a frankenbike that begs for the sweet release of death. Go for it!! b:Db
>>
>>1002514
>blow an absurd budget building a frankenbike that begs for the sweet release of death.

mine was nashbar touring frame, carbon cx fork, canti brakes w/LONG PULL xt levers, riser bars, oury grips, paul thumbies

The wheelset, tires, and saddle were a good choice. A lot of your failure-bike parts end up being useful years later, which is nice
>>
>>1002510
It only saves you money if you would be performing parts swaps versus stock setups. It saves me money since I have specific bar width and crank length requirements that most manufacturers don't get right.
>>
>>1002320
Having looked into it myself, it's fair to say that production bikes are cheaper over all.

If you want something specific and/or don't care about the cost, go for it, but part-for-part you're better off getting it at a retail store (and it comes with a warranty)
>>
>>1002513
>>1002513
They were probably paid well for their review.
>>
>>1002716
>>1002513
Chink carbon can be good or bad. You never know what you're gonna get. When you buy a frame from reputable western manufacturer you're paying for QC and a warranty that you can rely on. There are a few open mold chink manufacturers that have decent QC but dealing with them on any warranty related issue is usually pain in the ass.
>>
>>1002510
This guy gets it.

>Most people do not save money. Most spend a LOT more because they end up buying multiple saddles, stems, bars, cranks, etc to tweak the bike to perfection.

Yep. I currently have 3 bikes that were built from the frame up (the first one I've been tinkering with for a decade and is on it's third full rebuild/re-thinking of what I want the bike to be), and I think I have enough parts rattling around my garage to build up at least two whole complete bikes.

>Also you will accidentally buy parts that aren't compatible. You'll find out you need to buy tools. You end up waiting a week for a part to show up, only to find out it doesn't work. Or that you need a tool you don't have. Etc.

Yep. Drawers of tools. A lot of craigslist/ebay parts that seemed like a deal but just didn't quite work out. A lot of learning experiences along the way.

>>1002514
>The worst you can do is blow an absurd budget building a frankenbike that begs for the sweet release of death.

Ah, memories of my first bike.

>>1002517
>mine was nashbar touring frame, carbon cx fork, canti brakes w/LONG PULL xt levers, riser bars, oury grips, paul thumbies

Hah, this is too familiar. I had some old long-pull Deore XT levers that I was trying to mismatch with V-brakes on a steel Nashbar MTB frame, old XT thumbies friction shifting a 2x6 gearing setup, a full road double (52/40 biopace) with a wiiiide BB spindle so it would clear the MTB chainstays, and fat 26" slicks.

>>1002719
Yeah, the uncertainty is the problem. Without a reputable company with a real customer service department standing behind the product, you're shit out of luck if there's something wrong with the frame. Buying from a fly-by-night operation overseas is always a gamble.
>>
File: soda-can-pull-tabs-3181934.jpg (82KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
soda-can-pull-tabs-3181934.jpg
82KB, 800x600px
Here's my idea to build a frame for nearly free. Collect can tab (or whatever they are called). People already do this and actually melt them into things like wheelchairs I think.

Seems possible. Get 15lbs of these bad boys and you're set! You might need to learn to weld and work with alumninum though.
>>
>>1002723

I'd like to add to this: If you build a VERY vanilla bicycle, and confer heavily with a knowledgable bike nerd, you could save a lot of time and money on this project

If I had someone over my shoulder saying "NO. Don't do that." It could have went fine.

Build a bike with ZERO big ideas or challenges. The most basic bike you can imagine. Then, maybe, you'll come out on top with your first bike build.

But don't count on it.
>>
File: IMG_20160722_162425.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160722_162425.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1002513
>>1002716
Bought mine from aliexpress, been touring with it just fine, never had s worry.

>>1002475
This was my first roadbike, only had a fixedgear before so no idea how gears work. Built it up from only internet parts, if you can assemble a IKEA furniture you can build your own bike. Much cheaper too but take notice of this threads advice, look up the tools you need. In the end its a much bettet feeling to have built your own bike and now know how to resolve any issues with it.
>>
>>1002727
It will be nowhere near as good as you're imagining. Go to an industrial metal supplier and buy some aluminum ingots or remnants from there. Your success depends from there on if you know how to do the designing, casting, machining and finishing of a bike (you probably don't). In the time it'd take you to get the materials and tools required to make this this and fail multiple times until you've cast the frame correctly, you could have saved up enough for several decent bikes.
>>
>>1002881
>touring
>chinasium frame
>those wheels
No words

>>1002891
I'm pretty sure >>1002727 was joking.
> You might need to learn to weld and work with alumninum though.
>>
>>1002924
life's to short not to tour with your gotta go fast roadbike
>>
>>1002881

Pure dgaf. You get credit for that
>>
>>1002891
>>1002924
I wasn't joking, but I'm not going to do this. I'm just saying it seems possible. If I knew how to work with metal I might try it. Seems fun
>>
>>1003101
Oh. Well, if you were serious, the answer is "absolutely not". Not all aluminum is created equal; whatever alloy they use to make pop can tabs sure as shit isn't what you'd want to make an aluminum bike frame out of.
>>
>>1003102
I never said it would be a good bike :^)
>>
File: file (7).jpg (110KB, 450x600px)
file (7).jpg
110KB, 450x600px
>>1002881
>touring
>no disk brakes
>>
>>1003149

V brakes with kool stops are fine

Only hydro dick is unquestionably better than good v brakes. And hydro would be dumb outside of the 1st world
>>
>>1003149

But yeah caliper roadie is asking for death if you are carrying real weight
. carbon bro is packing light
>>
So to answer OP's question, does anyone have any links to good resources/guides to read to start off on?
>>
>>1003159
>le fixing le calipers with yak butter and paper clips maymay
Have you ever done that? Yeah didn't think so.

Just get disks.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.