[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/grimes/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 43

File: 1.jpg (135KB, 391x594px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
135KB, 391x594px
Discuss the amazing, innovative, envied, groundbreaking artiste Claire Boucher a.k.a. Grimes.

Song of the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_fLwbsYe-U
Video of the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xgl9gee7KY

>it's annoying i know haha, but my albums take a long time to create because i don't buy songs/ hire producers/ writers or engineers. the majority of artists do, so they are able to release music faster. unfortunately it takes me longer because if there's a style i need to learn i just have to figure it out by trial and error, or if im stuck on a lyric or beat sometimes i have to start again. i think it leads to more original product though, and hopefully the fans are happier in the long run. that said, i am making a lot of music right now, but i also want to have more of a sonic theme to this album so i'm using less of the stuff i'm recording. in any case, ill try to be as swift as possible!"

Be nice to Grimes, mofos.
>>
ew

just ew
>>
Anyone here?
>>
>>74330135
Entertainment Weekly? Thanks for bumping even if your post was complete trash.
>>
File: Grimes (2799).jpg (41KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Grimes (2799).jpg
41KB, 600x450px
>>74330138
only me
>>
How has Grimes innovative?
>>
>>74330469
*is
>>
>>74330156
OP's post is complete trash
>>
>>74330469
>>74330492
bump for these
>>
I will certainly be nice to Grimes if you know what I mean
>>
File: 1481762940605.jpg (509KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
1481762940605.jpg
509KB, 1000x667px
Grimes is my life, personified. Grimes is the logical progression on the timeline of history straight from Renaissance to modernity. She is the second coming of Lady Mary herself, prophet from the Gods after Jesus and Mohammad. Her music comes from the heavens, righteous flow of pure, undistilled inspiration.

You look at Grimes and you see EVERYTHING you need to see, experience everything you need to experience, appreciate everything you need to appreciate, when it comes to creativity, arts, style, fashion and music. There haven't been anybody like her, there will NEVER be anybody like her. People will be speaking of her for centuries, because she brought everything needed to capture about pop culture, all the GOOD without any of the bad.

There are MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of young girls all over this huge fucking ass planet right now who are copying her every single move, her mannerisms, anime personality, style, music, her attitude. She guides all the lost lambs with her soothing voice and her synths. Female version of David Bowie has arrived and here to stay. Think about it. She does everything herself - cover art, music production, mastering, video directing, concept design, singing, instruments, and even has enough in her left to produce music for other artists out there. She doesn't even do drugs anymore, thus she's not in a haze or sluggish but has overflowing energy that sets her out to be at her peak productivity.

Fuck Katy Perry or all these minor pretentious "gamer gurl" hipster types like Zooey Dechanel except singing, and fuck the Lauren Southerns or what else people bow down to as their muses. Fuck that shit. Only one you need, only one ANYBODY really needs, is the One and Only truly skilled, able and inspired Artist put to this world to take all the styles and attitudes created by modernity, the achievements in pop, rock and rap, to combine them together to be the Ambassador of Art that all open-minded patricians need.

Behold - Grimesy :3
>>
File: grimes3.jpg (282KB, 1200x1602px) Image search: [Google]
grimes3.jpg
282KB, 1200x1602px
>>74330863
Anyone should like Grimey tbch.
>>
>>74330469
By being innovative.
>>
>>74331314
really makes me think
>>
File: 1401550416509.jpg (35KB, 396x388px) Image search: [Google]
1401550416509.jpg
35KB, 396x388px
>>74329652
>the way she is holding the guitar pick
>>
>>74329652

Lol @ prop guitar
>>
>Grimes
>innovative
lmao
>>
>>74329652
why are there no videos of her playing guitar
>>
>>74331911
Because she doesn't know how, and the one in OP's pic is not plugged in.
>>
>>74329652
drop her. Listen to Big Rare. He produces and writes his songs. He also does his own cover art.
>>
>>74331949
Are you blind?
>>
>>74331993
Big who? Post his best songs.
>>
>>74332036
Like it's actually connected to the amp
>>
File: img.png (12KB, 632x93px) Image search: [Google]
img.png
12KB, 632x93px
>genesis video
>>
File: g.jpg (486KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
g.jpg
486KB, 1000x667px
What is your excuse for not liking Grimes?
>>
>>74332367
I don't like her music
>>
>>74332430
Explain why. What is wrong with it? What would you change about her music?
>>
>>74332495
I don't enjoy listening to it.
The instrumentals are boring and the actual instrument parts are distracting from the core of the song and are repetitive without me liking the part being repeated.
It's not that her voice is too inaccessible, hell, I love Joanna Newsom but her voice simply irks me.
These are problems that I really only feel for her last two albums, which I hate.
>>
>>74332551
Do you hate her best albums? Sad. Also I don't get why do you think her instrumentals are repetitive when there are lots of small changes during every second. Maybe you should pay more attention to them.
>her voice simply irks me
That's a deal breaker because all her songs feature her voice. By the way Joanna Newsom's voice is far more inaccessible if you ask me.
>>
>>74332677
>Do you hate her best albums?
No, I like her first two
>when there are lots of small changes
Too small
>That's a deal breaker
Once again, these flaws only show to me on her last two albums.
>Joanna Newsom's voice is far more inaccessible
Exactly. I could theoretically enjoy Grimes' music (and I do in some albums), but it annoys me in other cases
>>
>>74332742
>No, I like her first two
Her best ones are her last 2. But whatever.
>Too small
You need to be accustomed to subtle things.
>Once again, these flaws only show to me on her last two albums.
Her voice is more melodic on her last 2 albums. On her first 2, her voice sounded much stranger. I think you just prefer weird voices.
>Exactly. I could theoretically enjoy Grimes' music (and I do in some albums), but it annoys me in other cases
Well, you still have her first 2 albums to enjoy.
>>
>>74332774
>I think you just prefer weird voices
I think that you make stupid assumptions about people on the Internet
>>
>>74332797
I think you're unnecessarily rude.
>>
File: file.png (139KB, 596x311px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
139KB, 596x311px
Thoughts?
>moving up in the world guys! tomorrow Grimes will be included in the #bazaaricons list! curated by the great @carineroitfeld . thank you @harpersbazaarus ! p.s. I kno i've been quiet lately - in the studio every day trying to legit make something you've never heard before. unexplored sonic landscapes. i need another month or 2 of pure unadulterated creativity at which point i will begin finishing tracks. won't let u down
>>
>>74332839
Why? You made an assumption with not enough evidence to make it. I think that's stupid, and would expect for anyone else to also criticize me if I did the same thing. Also, to add to my point about being too repetitive, those small changes you told me still fail to make the piece interesting.
>>
>>74332900
I said "I think...". That isn't a fact but a mere opinion. You're just rude and I tried to be civil. Shame on you.
>>
File: file2.png (19KB, 331x397px) Image search: [Google]
file2.png
19KB, 331x397px
>>74332876
>i wanna be quick tho! my goal this time is to avoid over editing and let everything be strange and free haha dunno if that makes sense.... but also i appreciate these words just in case i end up taking another year. not planning on t tho
>>
>>74332955
>That isn't a fact but a mere opinion
And voicing that opinion was stupid of you.

Anyways, why has no one said how Grimes is innovative?
>>
>>74333207
Read this and you'll understand: >>74332876
>unexplored sonic landscapes

>And voicing that opinion was stupid of you.
It wasn't. If you can't handle even the slightest criticism maybe you shouldn't be on this board.
>>
>>74333275
So, what you're saying is that she'll make an innovative album soon?

>It wasn't
Yeah, it was, since it wasn't true and making an assumption off my liking of two albums over two other albums is just dumb
>the slightest criticism
It wasn't even a criticism m8
>>
>>74333320
>So, what you're saying is that she'll make an innovative album soon?
Yes. Also her existing music is already innovative because it's groundbreaking and unique. Her mix of synthpop, dreampop, IDM, classical, K-pop, alt-rock, industrial, ambient is her trademark.
>It wasn't even a criticism m8
If it wasn't then why did you react like it was?
>>
>>74333392
>her existing music is already innovative
What is she doing that hasn't been done before? Combining genres together notwithstanding since she's not introducing any new sounds.
>Then why did you react like it was?
I didn't. I just called you stupid for making an assumption (well actually, I didn't, I called your assumption stupid), I didn't claim that you criticized me.
>>
>>74333451
>What is she doing that hasn't been done before? Combining genres together notwithstanding since she's not introducing any new sounds.
Her actual music. That specific mix of hers hasn't been done before. By combining genres together you can create new sounds. Also did you forget that she used synths and samplers and those tools are capable of creating new sounds?
Case in point:
>I'm always listening for interesting sounds. Like, for example, I recently took a sample of some percussion that had a lot of melodic information in it, put the verb up to 100% and then sampled the verb so that none of the original sample was there but it contained the melodic information. Sometimes I record things in the house like beads or whatever etc. Sometimes I get found samples from online bird watching communities or this or that, haha. Usually I use some combination of these methods.
>For the song “Venus Fly", for example, I had these awesome 808s, that I built using two different 808 sounds. Then I sampled a dentist drill and tuned it to the 808s and layered it very lightly on top so that they sounded a bit more savage but also wide and clean cuz I think I panned the drill hard and the 808s were mono in the center.
https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/grimes-bird-calls-and-dentists-drills/
Grimes is exploring new sounds and new ways of making music (she also did sample packs for Roli) while keeping an eye on solid songwriting. She doesn't deliver empty experimental crap but full-fledged songs with experimental elements. Mozart said it better:
>The golden mean, the truth, is no longer recognized or valued. To win applause one must write stuff so simple that a coachman might sing it, or so incomprehensible that it pleases simply because no sensible man can comprehend it.
Grimes is chasing that golden mean; not too simple / plebeian and not too complex / unlikeable. That's why she's special.
>>
>>74330863
I want to become a Grimes!
>>
File: grimeth106.jpg (64KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
grimeth106.jpg
64KB, 1080x1349px
>>74333451
>What is she doing that hasn't been done before? Combining genres together notwithstanding since she's not introducing any new sounds.
I'm sorry, but did Grimes already lose? Oh, that's right. The decade isn't even over yet. In fact, it's just getting started. Does not being the most listened artist in spotify counts as a loss? Is that what you're saying? Because if you're saying that I can assure you that you're wrong. Why would you make this post when the decade is still going on? Grimes is still in the industry right now and she has been the best female artist for how many years now? She's going against some of the worst artists in the industry who just happen to have hype because they're feeding off the bad taste of the masses. But you know what? They still fucking suck. Grimes is one of the best fucking artists, she has over 10 confirmed skills in different areas related to music. Maybe you should shut the fuck up before you make retarded posts like this. You know why? Because you're going to be embarrassed when Grimes wins and someone bumps this topic. Oh look at that, Grimes just said she could release a new album soon, just like people were worried about. Are you a fucking drunk? Are you retarded? Are you autistic? You are a fucking idiot and you should never make a comment on this board again and I'm fucking serious. I almost have a feeling you're the only guy making all these anti-Grimes posts because you're a faggot hater who doesn't like Grimes because she's good. Fuck you, be good at something in YOUR life and then maybe try to troll fucking genius artists on the board, like I give a fuck. It's so easy to spot out your posts now, you're a retard. Always doing stupid shit like this. Why don't you try to be a good poster? Just for once? For once in your fucking life try not to make a comment like this. That's just you, you're always right at getting it wrong. Fuck you. You are nothing.
>>
>>74333632
Being innovative by combining genres that are often combined already (synthpop and industrial especially, dreampop with synth vibes, k-pop and alt-rock aren't really full genres, and ambient is also often combined with industrial) is not really a feat. Also, I'd like to see one of Grimes' songs that combines all of those genres that you mentioned in one song.
>new ways of making music
What's new about adding sounds usually considered weird to more traditional song structures? That's been around forever.
>empty experimental crap
Spoken like someone who mostly listens to poppy music
>not too simple and not too complex
You mean experimental pop? That's also been done before.

>>74333893
wut
>>
>>74333893
*slow claps*
*steps out of the shadows*
Heh... not bad, kid. Not bad at all. Your meme, I mean. It's not bad. A good first attempt. It's plenty dank... I can tell it's got some thought behind it... lots of quotable material...
But memeing isn't all sunshine and rainbows, kid. You're skilled... that much I can tell. But do you have what it takes to be a Memester? To join those esteemed meme ranks? To call yourself a member of the Ruseman's Corps? Memeing takes talent, that much is true. But more than that it takes heart. The world-class Memesters - I mean the big guys, like Johnny Hammersticks and Billy Kuahana - they're out there day and night, burning the midnight meme-oil, working tirelessly to craft that next big meme.
And you know what, kid? 99 times out of a hundred, that new meme fails. Someone dismisses it as bait, or says it's "tryhard," or ignores it as they copy/paste the latest shitpost copypasta dreamt up by those sorry excuses for cut-rate memers over at reddit. The Meme Game is rough, kid, and I don't just mean the one you just lost :^). It's a rough business, and for every artisan meme you craft in your meme bakery, some cocksucker at 9gag has a picture of a duck or some shit that a million different Johnny No-Names will attach a milion different captions to. Chin up, kid. Don't get all mopey on me. You've got skill. You've got talent. You just need to show your drive.
See you on the boards...
>>
>>74333632
Whoa calm down sparky. You seem to be fighting with someone while making no point at all. You are telling this other person what kind of opinion they need to have. Well here's mine.

She's not unique. The same argument for any artist being a special snowflake could be made if you want to list 15 random genres. I'm 99% sure you actually just think she's super special because she's pretty, young, confident, and female.

A live show seems to consist of this floozy pushing a button every few measures while dancing around, then moaning some high pitches into a sound system rife with distortion.

I hate it, I hate her, and I hate you.
>>
>>74334025
>Being innovative by combining genres that are often combined already (synthpop and industrial especially, dreampop with synth vibes, k-pop and alt-rock aren't really full genres, and ambient is also often combined with industrial) is not really a feat.
Seriously? Just how many songs do you know that sound like say Circumambient, Kill V. Maim, Eight, Scream, World Princess, Favriel, Beast Infection, Laughing and Not Being Normal, Omega, Colour of Moonlight, Pin? Name them.
>What's new about adding sounds usually considered weird to more traditional song structures? That's been around forever.
It's not the process, but the actual sounds. The results. She created new sounds -> she's innovative, simple as that.
>Spoken like someone who mostly listens to poppy music
I listen to music with great melodies, from Brahms to Herbie Hancock. A lot of experimental stuff sounds like shit irl.
>You mean experimental pop? That's also been done before.
It doesn't matter if it has been done before; it hasn't been done in her style. She created her own niche where she sounds only like herself. There are some vague similar elements to other artists but that's not enough to deny the fact she's original.
>>
>>74334219
>Seriously?
Yes, and the similarity of songs to those other songs is not relevant.
Also, I'd like an answer to my question
>But the actual sounds
Bird sounds and drills are both samples in music, nor did she create those sounds.
>A lot of experimental stuff sounds like shit
What experimental albums have you listened to? Also the addition of "irl" to that post is unnecessary
>It hasn't been done in her style
Her style is not any new sounds, she legitimately barely sounds different to any synthpop artist.
>>
>>74334140
>She's not unique. The same argument for any artist being a special snowflake could be made if you want to list 15 random genres.
Just your silly opinion. If you think she's not unique where are the other artists like her? Where is the Grimes before Grimes? Where are the other artists able to make songs ranging from Heartbeats to Scream?
>I'm 99% sure you actually just think she's super special because she's pretty, young, confident, and female.
Lots of female artists are like that. Not an argument. And btw she's almost 30, not really young.
>I hate it, I hate her, and I hate you.
Ridiculous statement. Just don't hurt her, Ricardo.
>>
>>74334339
You realize that Ricardo actually liked the artist he vowed to kill, right? Think before you post
>>
>>74332367
Her Music sucks.
>>
>>74334313
>Bird sounds and drills are both samples in music, nor did she create those sounds.
She used those sounds with other sounds and she created new sounds. Plus many other tricks. You can actually create a never heard before sound.
>What experimental albums have you listened to?
Quite many. I don't have time to post them.
>Her style is not any new sounds, she legitimately barely sounds different to any synthpop artist.
You clearly don't know synthpop is you say such idiotic things. She's significantly different than any other synthpop artist. Actually post a synthpop song like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTvanzhR6ok
It's very short so you have no excuse to not listen to it.
>>
>>74334359
>implying you're not ricardo2
Stop hating her, maggot.
>>
File: 1501240078104.png (136KB, 294x256px) Image search: [Google]
1501240078104.png
136KB, 294x256px
>>74329652
Grimey sounds like mall music.
>>
File: AomrRgOZ.jpg (43KB, 500x430px) Image search: [Google]
AomrRgOZ.jpg
43KB, 500x430px
>>74334464
She's making unexplored sonic landscapes and you say this crap? Sad.
>>
>>74334499
"unexplored"
She's making basic ass pop music, dude.
>>
>>74331354

there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>74334695
Don't ever make guitar music, please and thank you.
>>
>>74332302
What amp? I repeat - are you blind?
>>
>>74334644
Yeah but im a delusional narcissist and you're not. Shut up
>>
>>74334422
>She used those sounds with other sounds and created new sounds
Ok, then every single artist that isn't a cover band is technically innovative. When you stretch it to say that using samples used before in a very specific way, then there is no power within innovation and it's useless to say.
>You clearly don't know synthpop
Yet another stupid assumption! You're oh for 2 buddy.
>Actually post a synthpop song like this one
That's not even a synthpop track, but outside of the tracks she makes that are extremely dissimilar to the rest of her music, it sounds no different.
>>
ATTENTION

>>74326796
>>74326796
>>74326796

I truly believe grimes is the premiere visionary guitarist of her generation. Please, if you feel the same come discuss her tremendous guitar related talents in /gg/!

Be warned though! Mods have a strict policy of ON TOPIC guitar related discussion in /gg/!

If you can operate within the rules you're invited to participate! Thanks!

- /gg/
>>
>>74336831
kek she doesn't even play guitar
>>
>>74336831
wew

she might be good at synth, but she's pretty bad on guitar

St. Vincent mops the floor with her on guitar
>>
i hope our grimey is sleeping well
>>
Grimes
>>
File: RbCW8iC-640x504.jpg (65KB, 639x504px) Image search: [Google]
RbCW8iC-640x504.jpg
65KB, 639x504px
>>
File: 1452252526747.png (145KB, 677x468px) Image search: [Google]
1452252526747.png
145KB, 677x468px
>>74337110
St. Vincent is superior at guitar, but Grimey is learning too. Don't forget that Grimes is an always evolving project.
>>
File: z9iojldcyodz.jpg (209KB, 1440x1364px) Image search: [Google]
z9iojldcyodz.jpg
209KB, 1440x1364px
Grimes is finally realizing that her early work has value:
>its cool to have a preference!!! i mean now that time is passing i see why people r so attached to the earlier works. they sound like nothing else, and i'm realizing that my true goal is to make something that sounds like nothing else. i needed to make art angels to prove my skills but now i want to integrate the skills w the creative approach i took on earlier alvums. sorry if i was defensive of AA when it first came out there was just sooooo much pressure coming from label fans everybody and i was too tired to properly internalize it all. appreciate ur consistent fandom over the years xxxx
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXWnCzRjzDq/?taken-by=grimesartofficial

Basically she wants to make an album that uses earlier album aesthetic but with new ideas and her improved production skills. It could be her best album ever.
>>
People wouldn't have a problem with Grimes if you guys stayed to your own thread. Raiding other generals with your shitty waifu is annoying, and it's the reason why so many people want you outright gone
>>
>>74341615
They don't care about you
>>
>>74341615
>People wouldn't have a problem with Grimes if you guys stayed to your own thread.
Wait a minute: why should we stay in one thread? Where is such a stupid rule? Why do you think we should obey to your arrogant wish?
>Raiding other generals with your shitty waifu is annoying
Uno: posting in other generals is perfectly OK. Due: if you insult our favorite artist like you just did don't expect us to be nice to you. Basically fuck off.
>so many people want you outright gone
Like we give a flying fuck. Haters gonna hate, we're here to stay.
>>
>>74341647
Is it because nobody really cared about grimes?
>>
File: grimlex.jpg (71KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
grimlex.jpg
71KB, 640x640px
she's not good at music guys but she's trying really hard

leave her alone !
>>
>>74341803
You = nobody
>>
File: 1479822853543.jpg (33KB, 569x392px) Image search: [Google]
1479822853543.jpg
33KB, 569x392px
>Can't read or write music
>Can't write a 4 part fugue, let alone a 6 part one.
>Doesn't know what the range of a clarinet is
>Doesn't know music theory
>Doesn't know form
>Has never written an opera
>Has never written a string quartet
>Has never written a symphony
>Has never written a piece in sonata form
>>
>>74329652
i like her fresh look
>>
>>74341848
She's not a classical musician to compose sonatas and stuff, she can read the modern notation in programs like Ableton Live, she knows enough to make her great music and she's still always learning. Maybe she doesn't know music theory and how to read sheet music, but she knows producing and songwriting which are more valuable skills in modern music.

Now erase your silly meme.
>>
>>74341848
bet you are a talentless prick and reason being so your parents sent you to music school or opera. and still you remained a talentless fuck can't do anything so yuo are just jealous and blaming on her by the terms you learned there
>>
>>74341988
In general, failed musicians tend to be very picky about her music and criticize her a lot. If she would actually listen to these losers she would be a nobody just like them.
>>
I'm not him but I'm so fucking depressed man. I've lived inside my room for the past 3 years and I feel like I can never leave it. I want to end it all.
>>
>>74342091
At least it's not 2012 anymore
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>
>>
>>74342105

Don't fucking remind me.
>>
File: grimesbtfo.png (24KB, 877x339px) Image search: [Google]
grimesbtfo.png
24KB, 877x339px
>>74332367
Her music simply sucks.
>>
>>74342229
you suck
>>
File: file.png (30KB, 987x454px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
30KB, 987x454px
>>74342229
No. You suck. Stop posting that fake poll, for fucks' sake. Your autistic poll is so out of touch with reality it's embarrassing. You rejoice living in a lie. Get lost, sucker.
>>
>>74332876
i love her
>>
>>74332367
Her music sucks hard.
>>
>>74341736
Who's this "we" you talk about? Do you have multiple personalities disorder? If so, seek help.
>>
>>74343116
Just you having shitty taste...
>>
>>74343478
"We" as Grimes fans. That anon said "if you guys stayed...". He talked to her entire moo fanbase. If you're too imbecile to understand that, it's not my fault.
>>
>>74340872
For fuck's sake, this guy shared a pretty interesting recent comment from her and you guys find it more important to "fight le evil haters!!!" than to actually discuss this recent interesting comment from the artist? Please stop derailing the thread.
>>
>>74341615
>people want you outright gone
Do you half wits ever stop to think you're getting memed daily by haters who want us off the board?
No, you're not smart enough for that.
>>
>>74341736
He means stay in threads related to Grimes. Don't bring up artists in threads not related to them. I don't care if you post Grimes in a favorite female artists thread, but don't spam her in Bjork or Kate Bush threads.
>>
I really care about her.
>>
>>74344263
>>74344272
>>
>>74329652
I really don't like the way her voice is on her music, if she'd sing normally i'd probably fuck with it, but idk maybe it's the reason why you guys like her sorry
>>
>>74344550
she has nice pitch and expressive voice. also cute lisp ;^)
>>
You ALL have extreme autism
>>
>>74344015
What about comparisons? Comparing her with Bjork or Kate Bush is perfectly fine.
>>
>>74343835
>she looks delicious mmmm
>>
>>74344550
Her voice is very expressive. Give it more chances and I'm sure it will grow on you.
>>74344801
And you, the most extreme autism.
>>
>>74330863
seek help
>>
So the consensus is Visions is her best release right
>>
>>74345547
Not when it turns the thread into a discussion about a different artist. A Kate Bush thread is for discussion of Kate Bush, not discussion of Grimes.
>>
>>74346042
The consensus is that there's no consensus. Both Visions and Art Angels are strong contenders. There's even a small faction that swear that Halfaxa or Geidi Primes is her best release. Grimey is very consistent.
>>
>>74341848
(you) can read and write music, write an opera, play an instrument but yet lack any creativity to make good cash of it, she earns bank with what she knows
>>
>>74346114
Art Angels is pretty pleb tier if you ask me. Way too commercial, and like it's cashing in on the reputation she had before the record came out.
>>
>>74346083
>A Kate Bush thread is for discussion of Kate Bush, not discussion of Grimes.
I meant a discussion about both artists being compared to each other, not a Grimes-only discussion.
>>
>>74346144
That never happens because the grimesposters get triggered when you tell them that you think that Kate Bush is better than Grimes, turning the thread into a shitflinging contest
>>
>>74346141
That's wrong. It's poppier but FAR from any mainstream album. You get the illusion of being mainstream because it's so fucking catchy and in your face but if you pay attention you'll see that songs like Scream and Life in the Vivid Dream have no place on a mainstream album. Nothing from top 40 sounds like Art Angels. I invite you to prove me wrong.
>>
>>74346162
>when you tell them that you think that Kate Bush is better than Grimes
To avoid that conflict don't tell them that. Problem solved.
>>
>>74346179
It is a top 200 album though. SCREAM is about as inaccessible as any NiN track (in fact, probably less so) and NiN has been top 40.
>>
>>74346197
>a discussion about both artists being compared to each other
So all threads should just be "I love Grimes" to avoid the grimesfags shitting it up? That's not what 4chan is about.
>>
>>74346179
I mean given the subjective nature of music I can't prove anything, but comparing the two works there is a noticeable difference in creative depth. Just because it has some challenging tracks doesn't mean the rest aren't purpose crafted radio fare
>>
>>74346203
NIN has been in top 40 with catchy songs like Closer not with their screamy stuff. Also Trent sang in English (=relatable) not in Taiwanese.
>>
>>74346234
Do you have any idea that Grimes actually loved mainstream pop music before making AA? She did what she liked to do; what bigger proof of artistic integrity do you want? If she repeated her past albums she would be a washed out ex-indie star right now. Even if you dislike that album you have to admit that she played her cards very well.
>>
>>74346584
I don't dislike AA, far from it, I just think there was more room for growth and she went in a direction that didn't take full advantage of it.
>>
>>74346614
She wanted to follow her pop obsession, she did it very well, but now she plans to go back to more experimental music
>>74340872
>>74332876
Be aware that whatever she will do there will be people that will hate her work.
>>
MY HEART
WILL NEVER FEEL
WILL NEVER SEE
WILL NEVER KNOW
>>
>>74346536
Multiple foreign-language songs have charted, and songs with screaming have as well.
>>
File: 1498790728536.gif (4MB, 690x388px) Image search: [Google]
1498790728536.gif
4MB, 690x388px
Claire Boucher
>>
File: 1501622484572.jpg (76KB, 531x594px) Image search: [Google]
1501622484572.jpg
76KB, 531x594px
>>74347159
The dream girl
>>
>>74344550
>if she'd sing normally
Different people sound different. Grimes sings with a high, trebly voice because she HAS a high, trebly voice. You can like/dislike that quality in her singing, but your approval/lack of approval doesn't make it NOT normal for her.
>>
>>74346042
Depends on what you're listening for desu.
>>
>>74346224
>That's not what 4chan is about.
What is 4chan about?
>>
>>74346234
>there is a noticeable difference in creative depth.
Different anon. What counts as 'creative depth' to you?
>>
>>74347358
This. That anon is asking her to sing in a way that would be unnatural to her. Also her high pitched singing works very well with the groovy instrumentals. It's a nice contrast.
>>
I bet the classical music anon is very happy that Claire confirmed >>74340872 that she will try to make music more like her early albums but with her improved production.
>>
>>74346776
Different anon. Links please - out of curiosity, more than anything else (imo that'd make a good /mu thread on it's own - U.S. charting songs that featured yelling/screaming/lyrics in a foreign language.)
>>
>>74347493
I REALLY should've bet money on it desu.
>>
what's the lewdest picture of this whore?
>>
>>74347433
Weirdness, abstractness, ambiguity
>>
>>74348112
So nothing that you can actually describe?
>>
>>74348112
Her music has PLENTY of that. Try for instance her songs Omega and Hallways. Do you have any idea about their meaning?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2pjMYJXMrM
>>
>>74348524
Coolness
>>
>>74347982
be nice to grimsey, she is a good girl
>>
My world is on fire and no one can save me but you.
>>
>>74349211
Cool pic. Wrong place for it though.
>>
>>74349861
It wasn't.

I don't know how, I don't know why, but she's the one that's going to save me.
>>
>>74350680
What kind of drugs are you on right now?
>>
bumperino
>>
I was happy
>>
I always took her seriously
>>
File: IMG_2644.jpg (626KB, 936x936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2644.jpg
626KB, 936x936px
>>
>>74352859
And now?
>>
grimes is basically a soundcloud hack who got famous for wearing weird clothes and complaining a bunch on twitter.
>>
>>74347409
Free expression, mostly. A haven to talk about whatever you want to talk about, aside from the restrictions on the general topics.

>>74347497
>US charting song with screaming in it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm-YgXJl2fI
screamed vocals, 72 on the Canadian Hot 100 and 37 on US alternative songs. Can be swapped with any popular death metal/hardcore song
>lyrics in a foreign language
https://www.phactual.com/12-foreign-language-songs-that-were-big-ol-hits-in-america/
really?
>>
>>74353624
>>74353746
be nice
>>
>>74353624
>butthurt douche nozzle
You also posted ITT, so you first, fuckwit.
>>
>>74353851
go to bed grimes. you're 12-year-old xbox live dialect is recognizable from space
>>
>>74353746
Maybe you are a soundcloud hack, dip. She's signed to a legendary indie label, 4AD. She got famous because of the quality of her music. There are plenty of people who wear weird clothes and complain on twitter and nobody gives a damn about them. At the end of the day your value is judged based on your WORK, not twitter shitposting and weird clothes. You're too pleb to understand that.
>>
>>74353851
>>butthurt douche nozzle
>no you
>fuckwit
Pic related is you. You have to be 18 to post here.
>>
>>74353886
>you're 12-year-old xbox
>YOU'RE
Go to sleep, kid. You're too idiot to post here.
>>
>>74353919
You didn't even post a picture, douche nozzle. Are you new here, sweetie?
>>
Why is grimes so shitty?
>>
>>74353916
>She's signed to a legendary indie label, 4AD
you've said this EXACT phrase word for word like five times before. stop trying to shill your shitty "indie label" (this is an oxymoron by the way)
>>
File: f41.jpg (69KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
f41.jpg
69KB, 1136x640px
>>74353919
>>74353949
(You)
>>
>>74353984
If you pretend to know that maybe, just maybe it's time to stop stalking her threads, moron. Are you a masochist, cretin?
>>
>>74353997
Why did you post your self portrait?
>>74353976
Because you view her through your shitty lens (your pleb taste). Clean your lens.
>>
>>74354053
>Why did you post your self portrait?
>no you!
you're only proving my point further child
>>
>>74353976
I don't know why she's like this
>>
File: 1475776991535.gif (3MB, 480x620px) Image search: [Google]
1475776991535.gif
3MB, 480x620px
please don't post mean things about grimes
>>
>>74354072
You don't have any point, kid. You're just shitposting and posting your ugly mug. No one is interested in that.
>>
File: Grimes (3217).jpg (283KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Grimes (3217).jpg
283KB, 1280x853px
CUTE!
>>
File: IMG_2635.jpg (31KB, 211x239px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2635.jpg
31KB, 211x239px
>>74354727
>>
File: IMG_2528.jpg (151KB, 652x648px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2528.jpg
151KB, 652x648px
>>74354734
did someone say ugly mug?
>>
i hope our grimey is sleeping well
>>
>>74334140
>pretty
>>
>>74346136
so you're saying she's a sell-out?
>>
>>74341947
>not knowing music theory
>not important in creating music
bahahahaha
>>
>>74357253
are you living in 70-90s?
you don't need to know anything about music theory to create electronic music nowadays, you just need to learn a DAW and have some original ideas and inspiration to create your own style
>>
>>74355834
She looks happy
>>
she has a few nice songs, but honestly the best thing she ever did for me was suggest Balam Acab
>>
File: 1500204992001.jpg (148KB, 940x691px) Image search: [Google]
1500204992001.jpg
148KB, 940x691px
kawai desu-~~
>>
>>74358275
Dont eat bees
>>
File: Grimes (1495).jpg (78KB, 1051x1150px) Image search: [Google]
Grimes (1495).jpg
78KB, 1051x1150px
revive
>>
my gf says I look like Grimes
>>
>>74357253
You can create music without knowing music theory in the same way you can paint without knowing color theory. MUSIC IS ART. Music theory is more important in reading other people's compositions.
>>
claire boucher, my lovely girl
>>
>>74361552
nothing to do with her music. keep your theory inside your ass. rest of the world will be happy listening good music
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg6PIW9iRw4
>>
>>74362703
>rest of the world will be happy listening good music
Like this http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200 ? Lmao!
>>
Just finished listening to visions and art angels. Never heard of her before listening. Gotta say i liked her, i would give both a solid 8.
>>
>>74359767
i want claire to eat me so i can be inside of her
>>
Are Grimes haters cretins?
>>
File: Grimes (2421).jpg (61KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Grimes (2421).jpg
61KB, 1080x1080px
>>
>>74366077
She looks mad
>>
>>74364560
She's really good. I noticed that I liked her music much more after more listens (8-10). Check her earlier albums too; they're more challenging but still beautiful.
>>
If Grimes ask you to give up your physical form so your soul could mend with her spirit energy in order for to perform the final marriage between heaven and earth, would you do it?
>>
>>74364639
Some of them.
>>
>>74366195
I would wait till acid wears off
>>
>>74364560
You should try her earlier albums. They're pretty dramatically different from those two, but that doesn't mean you won't also like them (personally I love them all.)

>>74361552
This. Also, in my experience amateur musicians tend to misunderstand/overestimate the role of music theory in music composition as well. It is a diagnostic tool - nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>74367495
>You should try her earlier albums.
They sound heavenly if you're in the right mood. They're perfect for some late night listening session on headphones.
>>
>>74367495
Music theory is important but nothing could surpass the sheer talent, creativity and hard work. The results speak for themsleves. Between an expert in music theory but with weak creativity and an amateur with plenty of creative ideas, I'd pick the latter every single time.
>>
>>74367835
I'm not into beastiality
>>
>>74367902
real /grimes general/

>>>/s4s/5659864
>>
literal ridge racer plagiarism can't believe you won't accept it just for one song

sad
>>
File: Grimes (236).jpg (2MB, 1336x1700px) Image search: [Google]
Grimes (236).jpg
2MB, 1336x1700px
>>74368309
she also plagiarized Venus in terms of beauty.
>>
>>74366160
>>74367495
Will listen to them before sleep. The more i listen the more i like her.
>>
>>74368466
kill your self
>>
File: 1501885589657.png (1MB, 1786x676px) Image search: [Google]
1501885589657.png
1MB, 1786x676px
>>
>>74369592
The reverse was true for me.
>>
>>74334695
if you've been playing for a week
>>
>>74369562
Before sleep, that's the best moment to listen to them. They're night music. Enjoy your dreams.
>>
>>74369592
Because you're a huge pleb that couldn't get into experimental pop.
>>
any new legs pics?
>>
>>74370862
Why?
>>
>>74370553
>calls the album top 40
>somehow this means that he couldn't get into the experimental aspect
>>
File: IMG_2633.jpg (27KB, 168x168px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2633.jpg
27KB, 168x168px
>>
>>74371312
You didn't manage to get into Art Angels, so your argument is invalid. You just don't get EXPERIMENTAL POP. Her music is too eccentric for your bland taste.
>>
>>74372483
Now why would anyone criticize an album for being too poppy if the reason that they didn't like it is because it's not poppy enough for them? Your criticism would make sense if they put a harsh noise album or something in the "what I got" section, but they didn't so your argument is retarded.
>>
>>74372588
Her album is poppy but mixed with experimental elements. You just don't get that combination. Maybe you like pure pop music or pure experimental music, but not both at the same time. In any case you failed to get into this album.
>>
>>74372814
>in any case you failed to get into this album
But you're treating the reason like it's too inaccessible since it's experimental when that clearly isn't the reason. Think before you post.
>>
>>74368309
>literal ridge racer plagiarism
A) Composers, including ones whose names you probably actually know (eg. Mozart), have been famously ripping off the Alberti Bass technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urW0KOTY1Ok for literally hundreds of years.
B) This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cg90ChiI9A is itself just a remix of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V_91wZlUAs

>>74369562
That's the way it tends to work, in my experience with her music. Either you absolutely can't stand it and stay away from it as much as possible (what happened to me the first time I tried getting into her discography) or you're on the fence/kinda like it - and the more you listen to it the better you think it is (what's still going on with me since the start of my 2nd attempt.)
>>
>>74372851
Anyone has a different taste. Maybe you just don't get her particular mix of pop and experimental. Just because her music is catchy it doesn't mean it's for everyone. The biggest pleb filter is her own weird voice.
>>
>>74373219
>Maybe you don't get her particular mix of pop and experimental
Are you just going to keep looping your argument? If you looked at the image for more than a few seconds you'd know the exact reason why the anon who made the image disliked the album.
>>
File: 14987202511850.jpg (127KB, 890x890px) Image search: [Google]
14987202511850.jpg
127KB, 890x890px
>>74370862
the latest one
>>
>>74373246
What was that reason? I only see shitty memes except her, Bjork and the AA cover.
>>
File: 1.jpg (147KB, 1080x1343px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
147KB, 1080x1343px
>>74373559
this is the latest one
>>
>>74373767
On the right, it says "billboard TOP 40". Since it's accompanied by images calling it trash, dogshit, and suicide-inducing, it's pretty reasonable to assume that they see it as a flaw.
>>
>>74329652

I see this qoute from her posted here alot. Do people really think it's impossible that a female would simply LIE about how much help she's had from others? jus wondering.
>>
>>74361290
your gf is very lucky!
>>
File: 0515165315grimes.png (706KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
0515165315grimes.png
706KB, 1280x720px
>>74373954
Hahahaha, yeah, but I prefer to believe her.
>>
>>74373805
It's just disgusting. Whoever did that "chart" is a dipshit. OK, he dislikes this album but why he needs to disparage it/defame it like that? Maybe deep down that dipshit is afraid to like that album. It's some dark psychology here.
>>
File: 1501787774880.jpg (105KB, 1080x982px) Image search: [Google]
1501787774880.jpg
105KB, 1080x982px
>>74373781
She looks stinky here, and those feet are not feminine at all. Please, don't ever post this pic again in a Grimes thread.
>>
>>74374283
This is the most triggered post I've ever seen on this site. Does someone not liking an album a lot really get to you that much? Do you expect people to only praise albums here?
>>
>>74373954
Grimes seems a huge control freak. That's why when she's playing live she doesn't let anyone near her 'command center'. You have no proof what she got help and (just like in the justice system) she's innocent until proven guilty. Someone else would really mess with her special sound, which has a definite Grimey quality that is instantly recognizable. It would be extremely hard to fake that.
>>
>>74374317
I'm not expecting that. But to make that silly chart with that bullshit it makes me mad. Because it's not true.
>>
>>74374315
Go away, crazy waifufag.
>>
>>74374396
>different opinions than mine aren't true
once again, triggered
>>
>>74361290
post feet
>>
>>74366119
i would look mad too if i saw this thread
>>
>>74374429
im a boy btw
>>
>>74374365

I guess I see what your're saying. More what is I mean is when a girl wants to start producing she has tons of guys that will help her on her way, tell her secret tips, what direction she should be headed when dude bedroom artists get very little apart from the internet . At least this is my experience :(
>>
>>74374396
What part of it is objectively not true?
>>
>>74374521
Grimes is the most proud of her production. that's her sweet spot. How she could live with herself if she had a ghost producer? To destroy any possible rumors she would better do a complete live streaming of the making of one of her songs in Ableton Live. Anyone would see that she's the real deal.
>>
File: GettyImages-527569322.jpg (560KB, 1552x2328px) Image search: [Google]
GettyImages-527569322.jpg
560KB, 1552x2328px
>>
>>74374762
>Anyoen
>>
Imo she should take singing lessons, find a permanent vocalist, or just make instrumental music.
Her voice has like 20 effects on it and it still hurts my ears.
>>
I used to idolize her
>>
>>74374812
Don't be silly. I reposted my comment with the correct version.
>>
>>74374839
I thought the same but her voice grew on me a lot. The more you will listen to her voice the more you will become accustomed to it and even like it.

Her high pitched voice is pure and angelic, as you can hear on this gorgeous Ave Maria cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGLvUejoRb4
>>
>>74374950
Is it true she only cares about her career?
>>
I found Grimes's husband, he's a vegan Everquest streamer with a rad beard.

Twitch tv / pantheistheathen
>>
>>74375038
You say that like it's supposed to be a bad thing...
Thread posts: 250
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.