[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/daily/ - "drunk pigs" edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 90

File: op mingus image.png (2MB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
op mingus image.png
2MB, 1400x1400px
A drunk Jangle is an argumentative Jangle.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

https://plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

http://dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Previously, on /daily/: >>71185090
>>
reposting this for convenience
lasagna cat was a webseries back in 2008
the format of the series is hard to explain verbally
you'll get the jist from just watching a few of the vids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Lv8irN66U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vubtGImJXqk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ2q9NmYf6g
the project's last upload was on january 14th, 2008. by that i mean every video up on the channel prior to the reboot was uploaded on that one day.
the channel laid silent for 9 years.
out of nowhere, on the 9th of this month, this was uploaded to the channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADM2WG1PsRs
this was then followed by this video on the same day, an ad a real call in line asking for people's full names and number of sexual partners they've had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN7LQNDkobA
today, the channel uploaded 13 new videos, 12 new installments of the lasagnacat series, and a 5 hour video of the results of the sex survey. everybody who called in got a custom reply. note that the background footage slowly changes with the video. also note the ending.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgmoMO66uPg
one of these videos is a 1 hour uninterrupted video of John Barrymore III contemplating the philosophical aspects of the aforementioned strip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw
one of the videos features Justin Roiland singing In the Air Tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NeqMAAsBk
also there are several separate youtube channels and websites that correspond with the project in an arg like fashion, including both channels in this video. one of the videos on odie's channel was uploaded 4 years ago. the rest on both were posted today as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3NLa4ebX4E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS6MOep2wLs
it's too much to list out here. this will likely be dissected over the course of weeks, so this is all just very surface level shit at this point most likely.
i'm scared.
>>
>>71212067
Damn that's fucking crazy. Do we know anything about the people behind it? That ending was high art.
>>
>>71212213
https://www.youtube.com/user/FatalFarm/videos
this is the company that worked on it apparently.
they did the robocop dick exploding video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfFI6L4m49g
>>
>>71212256
Haha oh yeah I remember that
>>
fresh wall-o-text comin' soon watch out

>>71212067
>was subscribed to lasagna cat for five years
>got a fuckton of uploads in one day out of nowhere
what a surprise. One of the best channels became even better.

The Matrix fight-parody video slayed me. Goddamn perfect.

Had no idea about the other channels though. Will have to check them out.
>>
>>71212322
oh boy.
guess i'm /upallnight/ at this point.
>>
File: Lists Chart 2.png (2MB, 2296x1784px) Image search: [Google]
Lists Chart 2.png
2MB, 2296x1784px
Supersilent - 6 (2003)
>free improvisation

Definitely the poppiest, most accessible free improv release I've ever heard. Helge Sten (Deathprod)'s roots in ambient give this a very dreamy, textural quality, losing a lot of the angularity that's so often present in free improv. Sometimes it's a bit too light, which is mostly prominent when they take on more of a post-rocky sound, but this is mostly pretty beautiful stuff. The instrumentation is varied, the pieces flow beautifully and naturally, which all makes for a nice listen, and a great entrance point for free improv.

3.0+

Ákos Rózmann - 12 Stationer VI (2012)
>electroacoustic

The first piece is monstrous. It's a lurching, ugly, massive twenty-minute long electroacoustic piece that shatters every preconception I had about the genre being generally somewhat light and airy. It's noisy, hypnotic, and most importantly it's interesting and entrancing. The other three pieces are cool enough, but nothing quite reaches up to the first piece. Some parts of the last piece that focus a lot on mouth sounds and squeaking get really irritating, but barring that it's still a decent piece.

3.0-

>>71212067
this is like next level weird internet shit

i never thought lasagna cat would come back, especially not in this weird-ass way
>>
hey
>>
>>71212365
glad you liked supersilent
>>
>>71212616
it was good! gonna check out the rest of their stuff.
>>
File: I Love Supreme.jpg (67KB, 628x628px) Image search: [Google]
I Love Supreme.jpg
67KB, 628x628px
I have a lot to get through so it's all gonna be short and shitty bare with me.

>New Order - Substance
Glad I'm giving these guys another chance because this comp is tops. Only bad song is "
State of the Nation" which isn't even that bad. Even the two-disc version has some bangers. Can see this getting a lot of replay.

>Lemon Demon - Spirit Phone
If you have never liked an album more because of how much fun it was: 1) I feel sorry for you 2) you probably should miss this. Lots of really well-executed synthpop tunes. Favorite tracks were the redone "Reaganomics", "Touch-Tone Telephone" and "
Eighth Wonder" are all great pop songs. There's a few whatever songs but the humor here is more akin to TMBG and less meme-y than the Mouth projects.

>Robert Ashley - Automatic Writing
Certainly not the mind-numbing experience I'd hoped for but pretty damn surprising and eventful. I think everyone here could get at least something from this. I could just copy more RYM descriptors like "meditative" or "mysterious" but I think y'all should just decide for yourself.

>Lee Hazlewood - Cowboy in Sweden
A few years ago I believed
>All country is shit
A year ago I believed
>All country pop is shit
And now I'm not sure what I believe. Every track before and including "No Train to Stockholm" is solid. Wasn't super sold on all the orchestration though.

>Brian Eno - Before and After Science
I don't really like any of Eno's "Art Rock" stuff but this was my favorite of that kind. "By This River" and "Backwater" are two of his best songs.

>Max Richter - Three Worlds: Music From Woolf Works
A lot of memorable and beautiful moments here, especially on the closing track, but this is balanced with a fair amount of far too short tracks that left me hanging. I'm sure this guy is very capable and talented, I just felt wanting more on most of this.
>>
File: feb chart.jpg (4MB, 3260x3260px) Image search: [Google]
feb chart.jpg
4MB, 3260x3260px
>>71212985

>Eliane Radigue - Adnos I-III
Hypnotic, but very guessable after about the first forty minutes. While "Trilogie de la mort" featured plenty of beautiful surprises, here is a three hour drone album where every 10 minutes the drone currently playing fades out while a new one fades in. For three discs. Not bad at all and the drones played are pretty satisfying, I just wish I was caught off-guard somewhere here. Formulaic experimentation isn't quite my jam.

>Flipper - Blow'n Chunks
It's less dumb bullshit than their other one but it's just non-expansive performances of good studio songs.

>Frodus - Conglomerate International
Sellmeagod-core that would've been waaay better had they stuck with the edgy factor. Way too much dumb filler shit in here.

>Sweet Valley - So Serene
By far the best thing Nathan Williams has ever put out and it's still kinda crap!

And holy shit so much Cocteau Twins
BBC sessions was just stuff that had already been recorded in worse quality and played worse. These guys were probably really shitty live. There were a lot of good pop tracks on Four-Calendar Café, but I see why someone that's an "Etherealist" might hate this project and see it as their "selling out point". Not amazing, but "Bluebeard" is seriously one of their bests. The Spangle Maker is a great EP with two of their best songs and one okay song. The 12-in Pearly Dew-Drops 4eva. Tiny Dynamine had one great song and three okay ones. Echoes in a Shallow Bay had four boring songs. Milk & Kisses was bad but not quite irredeemable. Makes me think if they kept going their next album would've been awful.
4, 6, 8, 6, 4, and 4, respectively.

what next
>>
>>71213010
primavera sound
>>
Lists Chart 2.png
2MB, 2296x1784px
Pine Smoke Lodge - El-Ahrairah (2010)
>drone, ambient

Cool drones and all, but nothing goes anywhere and all four tracks drag on for far too long. Lack of progression in drone is a bad thing, especially when two tracks on the album crack twenty minutes and the other two are nearly ten. A really cool idea is presented, but nothing is built upon that idea, it's just repeated and repeated with no variety at all. Because of this, it really doesn't have any low points, but it has no distinguishable high points or remarkable moments either. The tribal closer is really cool, but no other track has even half of it's memorability or compositional wonder.

2.0+
>>
File: Black History Month.png (3MB, 1996x1558px) Image search: [Google]
Black History Month.png
3MB, 1996x1558px
Scientist - Best Dub Album in the World

I’m not sure if it quite lives up to its name (mostly b/c I’ve heard like no dub) but I gotta admit, this is groovy as hell. It’s only 26 minutes long but in that time it really manages to pack a punch. There’s pretty much everything you’d expect in dub - heavy bass, ska-y upstroke guitar, dope drums and a ton of reverb. The drums are probably my favorite (who would’ve guessed?) because there’s some that have this awesome echo-y slapping tone that’s just the coolest. It sounds like someone is smashing the top of a tin garbage can in a deep, watery cave and I pretty much picture that every time it happens. That contrasts quite well with the heavier, steel-sounding drumming, which kind of sits in the foreground of most tracks.

Even cooler - there’s extensive use of sound effects. There’s sharp little lasery effects that fly through the recording. Half the time they sound like Star Wars blasters and the other half they sound like radar blips. Kind of electronic and makes me think about how influential this stuff was on early hip-hop production and (I’m assuming) electronic music.

I think the thing I like the most about dub and all reggae in general is how founded it is in rhythm. I guess that’s a dumb statement because all music is - but it embraces it so much. And I think about it more when I hear these genres. There’s a really heavy bassline in every track that just dominates. And the drums mostly sit in the front of the mix, until it fades for the guitar, sound effects or whatever to just take over. As a result, it feels very cyclical and so relaxing.

Anyway, I’m probably just stating the obvious at this point but this is really just superb all the way around.

4/5
>>
File: daily.png (3MB, 2521x1372px) Image search: [Google]
daily.png
3MB, 2521x1372px
>Dadawah - Peace and Love

this is actually the first reggae album I've ever heard.. havent even listened to bob marley or anything. this was great, i debated really hard between a 4 and a 4.5, and it would have easily been a 4.5 if the rest of the tracks were as good as "zion land". hypnotic, warm, and religious.. love it

4/5
>>
>>71212985
I love this meme an unreasonable amount.

Also, have you heard everything by Cocteau Twins? Seems like you've reviewed one of their albums every chart

>>71213298
Yeah, that Dadawah album is definitely one of the best reggae albums I've found. A lot different than the other stuff I've heard though, it feels way darker and more spiritual. Triangle might be able to hook you up with some recs if you're interested, he knows the most about the genre afaict

Also, your chart makes me want to check out Flockaveli again t b h
>>
>>71213298
>first reggae album
woof
great album, not a good representation of the genre I must say though.
It really is a very unique combination of reggae and nyabinghi, which is traditional, religious rastafari drum music. Not much else like it out there.
glad you liked it though!

(bob marley ain't worth it desu, if anything go for The Congos next)
>>
>>71213293
ayy, you liked it!

I like your descriptions of the drum sounds, your wording really captures the sound accurately.
>>
>>71213394
We listened to all of A Love Supreme in class last week and people were making countless supreme jokes in whispers. Was kinda annoying but 10% funny.

>Also, have you heard everything by Cocteau Twins
Other than an album that's, like, TECHNICALLY a Cocteau Twins album because it was made by all of the members minus the bassist just not credited as a Cock Twins album and also their first album, yes I have. Very solid discog so far.
>>
>>71213443
Yeah, it was dope! Glad you liked the description, took me a while to figure out what exactly those drums sound like.

Gonna potentially check out the Sly album tonight because I like what I've heard from dub so far.

>>71213467
Sounds like a fun class dude, I wish I had taken something like that. At least you know your class has an okay sense of humor though

Also, damn that's a lot of material. I've dug what I've heard by them so far but haven't had the chance to dive into anything other than their big two
>>
File: lmao.jpg (80KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.jpg
80KB, 500x500px
for real how is this album cover not a meme.

It's really shitty jazz fusion and it's literally a euphoric fedora. It could probably fit for any given zappa album honestly.
>>
>>71213660
As a huge fan, I'd say The Pink Opaque, Heaven or Las Vegas, and Treasure are their only worthwhile ones unless you're super into post-punk/dream pop/ethereal wave. Otherwise, all of their bolded material is great.
>>
File: bye.jpg (20KB, 284x282px) Image search: [Google]
bye.jpg
20KB, 284x282px
>Watched a whole fucking hour of the lasagnacat sex survey video
>my call didn't show up
I called in only a few days ago so I wonder if it even got in. Only three more hours to watch I guess.

It's time for slumber though good night.
>>
>>71214192
you better fucking link it if you find it
>>
File: jimmy jazz has had zero sex.png (1MB, 1280x719px) Image search: [Google]
jimmy jazz has had zero sex.png
1MB, 1280x719px
>>
back
trip was p cool, sat on the edge of a river and stared into the reflection of the trees for what must have been 6 hours, can recommend LSD
>>
File: 1487887188105.jpg (344KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1487887188105.jpg
344KB, 1280x720px
>>71208927
i didnt write this
don't ruin my purity
>>
>>71212985
>>Lee Hazlewood - Cowboy in Sweden
'leather and lace' + 'for a day like today' are such great songs. this reminds me i wanted to relisten to his album with nancy sinatra
>>
It's friday motherfuckers. I've got like two hours free right now, so hit me up with an album.

>>71212067
#neat
>>
File: Cover.jpg (206KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
206KB, 1000x1000px
>>71215891
>hit me up with an album.
: )
>>
>>71215039
If LSD is so good then why didn't It fix your taste?
>>
File: haha no ow it burns.png (358KB, 552x543px) Image search: [Google]
haha no ow it burns.png
358KB, 552x543px
>>71216378
>>
File: yamir chort.jpg (360KB, 838x505px) Image search: [Google]
yamir chort.jpg
360KB, 838x505px
yamir chort
>>
>>71213010
>Adnos I-III review
Hm now im not as motivated to sit through it

>>71215049
I honestly thought it was you desu

>>71217109
Shit thats real good, all of those albums are amazing
Glad you put playero 37 on it
Maurizio is a basic channel side project btw
>>
>>71217135
they better
i must have listened to like half of the stuff you had on your chart that there wasn't a lot left to choose from
>>
>>71217161
lol i still have a lot of very popular albums and the occasional daily core album :/
>>
>>71212985
>New Order - Substance
that record sucks tee bee aich

>>71217109
looks a good chart from what I've heard on it, is that your favourite Basho apart from Visions yam?
>>
File: 1197337.large.jpg (50KB, 443x267px) Image search: [Google]
1197337.large.jpg
50KB, 443x267px
I'm stuck at home with a furious snow storm raging outside pls gib cozy reccs for this.
>>
>>71217298
>tfw I made a chart for this
>>
>>71217321
was gonna rec something folky like Vashti Bunyan

noisey/shoegazey music like galaxie 500 works quite well too imo, not that it snows often here
>>
>>71217321
>frantz, vashti, sibylle, nick, linda and boubacar on the same chart

I'm downloading every single other one of these fucking records.

But regardless From Gardens Where We Feel Secure should 100% be up there too. No comfier record.
>>
File: Steineiche.jpg (130KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
Steineiche.jpg
130KB, 600x849px
>>71217298
>>71217321
>no atmoblack
>>
>>71214053
too easy probably
>>
>>71217297
No that IS my favorite basho album

>>71217321
Good chart
>>
>>71217109
>You're Living All Over Me
are you ready for the best fuckin noise rock on the planet?
>>
>>71217472
Really? What makes you like it so much? It's probably my 3rd favourite after Visions and Voice of the Eagle, he doesn't use his voice quite as much which is what I think sets him apart from other AP artists
>>
>>71217503
Thats not the best noise rock album but luckily the best noise rock album is also on the chart ;)
>>
>>71217135
>honestly thought it was you desu
this upsets me
>>
>>71217538
please
>>
File: 1481931213501.jpg (47KB, 600x605px) Image search: [Google]
1481931213501.jpg
47KB, 600x605px
>>71217297
>that record sucks
Get out
>>
>>71215049
I did, however, write that next post
>>
>>71217589
i might give it another go but I turned it off before the end when I was going through my dad's records years ago. New Order just ain't for me apart from a couple of songs which are fantastic.
>>
Someone who is good with programming and/or software here: what's the best way to trace moving points in a video? I need to mark up the joints of animals and create dots that follow them.

>>71216325
This is not on Spotify.
>>
File: 1480209870838.jpg (808KB, 1600x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1480209870838.jpg
808KB, 1600x1080px
>>71217321
oh fuck that hits the spot baby

>>71217397
this too

thanks mateos
time for cozy time
>>
>>71217980
D.R. Hooker - The Truth

Heard this one? Pretty good
>>
File: screwed up.png (205KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
screwed up.png
205KB, 460x276px
bruh
>>
File: gita~.gif (725KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
gita~.gif
725KB, 320x240px
>>71218004
Will listen a bit later, playing some gita now
>>
Cloudfare had a leak, be prepared to change your trips
>>
File: IMG_1843.jpg (304KB, 1300x953px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1843.jpg
304KB, 1300x953px
>>71218059
Nobody's taking my trip
>>
>>71218059
Also if you have a pass, change the password

The leak was probably nothing but you might as well be safe
>>
>>71218043
is that you playing the guitar
>>
>>71218124
yes i am a cute animes
>>
>>71218134
damn
>>
File: IMG_8264.jpg (941KB, 2968x1668px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8264.jpg
941KB, 2968x1668px
Carnaval let's go
>>
>>71217321
Some love for Emmanuelle Parrenin? Hot damn I don't remember the last time I saw that name even mentioned on /mu/. Siq.
>>
File: jpg.jpg (1MB, 2041x1680px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
1MB, 2041x1680px
Luigi Russolo - Die Kunst Der Geräusche

This italian man invented noise as a musical concept. Interesting for the historical value and some of the most vocal pieces are actually pretty good, but I don't love it.
>>
>>71215049
hanabi a slut
>>
File: 1487623415815.jpg (28KB, 571x451px) Image search: [Google]
1487623415815.jpg
28KB, 571x451px
>>71218142
Rudi

hair?
>>
File: erics favorites.jpg (1MB, 1485x950px) Image search: [Google]
erics favorites.jpg
1MB, 1485x950px
I'm a huge pleb when it comes to old music, can anyone rec me stuff from before 1990?

>>71218754
Islaja is really great, have you heard ulual yyy?

>>71217298
Iron and Wine - The Creek Drank the Cradle

The odd vocal production on this album makes it extra comfy
>>
>>71219659
No jokes about balding pls!!!!!
(Or I'll send hampus to you lol)
No bfr I had long hear when I was like 17 but it's gotten better over time
>>
File: 1487771174326.jpg (40KB, 640x429px) Image search: [Google]
1487771174326.jpg
40KB, 640x429px
>>71219838
???

>>71219819
>Frisk Frugt
my man

underrated 2015 aoty right there

If you like that, you'd probably like Van Dyke Parks and Pet Sounds-era Beach Boys. He borrows a lot of Parks's baroque pop, but also incorporates elements of Krautrock-esque electronica

So maybe check out Krautrock too
>https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Krautrock

based on a lot of the other spacey and psychedelic stuff you have on there, Krautrock seems like a fine idea
>>
>>71219819
>Islaja is really great
i'll do it next then, from the snippets i've heard it's really sweet. if i like it i'll listen to ulual too

also you might like these
burzum - filosofem
coil - the ape of naples
cocteau twins - heaven or las vegas
mercury rev - yerself is steam

and for music from before 1990 you can't go wrong with tago mago or pink moon
>>
>>71216378
"I get high on life!!" -tier opinions, as typically is the case from you.
>>
>>71219942
I love pet sounds, I'll check out that other stuff
>>
File: 1487866745093.jpg (174KB, 1910x1130px) Image search: [Google]
1487866745093.jpg
174KB, 1910x1130px
>>71219381
moca best girl
>>71218059
if u dont have a trip...
people can't steal it
>>71217298
biosphere substrata is best album for cold weather
>>71217297
>>New Order - Substance
>that record sucks tee bee aich
this is a real opinion someone has
>>
File: 1487470089980.png (336KB, 662x659px) Image search: [Google]
1487470089980.png
336KB, 662x659px
>>71220131
Cool, and I feel like I recognize your name, but in case you're new, welcome to daily, friendo
>>
>>71218059
everyone's seen my trip though
any other websites this affected we should know about?
>>
>>71219819
>music from before 1990
that's pretty freakin' broad category
I'll do my best to be concise though

>1920s
Henry Thomas - "Ragtime Texas" Complete Recorded Works 1927-1929
Blind Lemon Jefferson - King of the Country Blues
Lonnie Johnson - Steppin' on the Blues
Tommy Johnson - Complete Recorded Works in Chronological Order (1929-1929)
Charley Patton - Founder of the Delta Blues
Eck Robertson - Old-Time Texas Fiddler
>1930s
Blind Willie Johnson - Dark Was the Night
The Carter Family - 1927-1934
Blind Boy Fuller - East Coast Piedmont Style
Skip James - Complete 1931 Sessions
Blind Willie McTell - Early Years (1927-1933)
Jimmie Rodgers - The Essential Jimmie Rodgers
Woodie Gutherie - Dust Bowl Ballads
>1940's
Lead Belly - Where Did You Sleep Last Night: Lead Belly Legacy Vol. 1
>1950s
Odetta - Odetta Sings Ballads & Blues
Lefty Frizzell - Look What Thoughts Will Do
Hank Mobley - Jazz Message #2
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Ravi Shankar - Music of India: Three Classical Ragas
The Stanley Brothers - Complete Columbia Recordings
>1960s
Richard Abrams - Levels and Degrees of Light
Sandy Bull - Fantasias for Guitar and Banjo
Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Pearls Before Swine - Balaklava
Max Roach - We Insist!
Ultimate Spinach - s/t
White Noise - An Electric Storm
The Beach Boys - Smile Sessions
>1970s
Baby Huey - The Baby Huey Story
Robbie Basho - Visions of the Country
Cluster - Cluster II
Simon Finn - Pass the Distance
Dadawah - Peace & Love
Exuma - s/t
Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms
John Fahey - America
Freddie Hubbard - Sing Me a Song of Songmy
Keith Hudson - Nuh Skin Up
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!
Hound Dog Taylor - Beware of the Dog
The Trees Community - The Christ Tree
>1980s
Cardiacs - A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window
Human Sexual Response - In a Roman Mood
Mikey Dread - World War III
The Units - Digital Stimultion
They Might Be Giants - Lincoln
Nomeansno - Wrong
>>
>>71220777
Triangle, rate my History of Rock Music's week on porto-blues and country and western blues

A few anachronistic examples included
>>
>>71220173
Gonna relisten to it sometime soon since so many of you like it so much, its been a while and I've liked a few synthpop albums since
>>
>>71220914
this is a class I'm taking btw
>>
>>71221048
inb4 too much muddy waters
>>
File: Cover.jpg (197KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
197KB, 700x700px
so one time jim asked me about grindcore and i realized there's almost nothing in the genre i actually really like anymore
not to claim i'm too "mature" for it

when's the last time that happened to you?

well, pic related is actually kinda cool and melodic even tho it probably has the worst guitar tone of all time
>>
>>71220914
I'm not sure what "proto-blues" means, but it's a decent list at least just from a quality standpoint
serving as a complete historical perspective on how blue developed into rock though? very sparse.
Leaves out a lot of critical delta and early chicago musicians that were vital to the early rock sound.
Jimmie Rodgers is only really relevant if you're gonna spend time on country as well.
>>
>>71221006
good
this is proof that bullying works
>>
>>71220914
also
>only one delta musician
>Sam Cooke (who debuted after rock was already a thing) (also not even blues)
>only chicago blues is muddy waters
>putting obscure/irrelevant artists on this list when you haven't even covered the essentials
>>
File: cover.jpg (90KB, 500x493px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
90KB, 500x493px
I'll bring my ratings and reviews of Fishmans discography on here. Starting by release date order.
>Neo Yankee Holiday: 7/10

People will say the Fishmans unique dreampop style only truly started with Kuuchuu Camp. But I disagree. It was already a thing way back on Neo Yankee Holiday. The album is basically Fishmans all over. Reggae and dub, check. Weird experimentation and distortion? Check. Dreampop? Well, Some moments already hint at that more ethereal later work of theirs. So yes. It's emotive as well. I want to give the good rating for this one for being such a solid and good album overall but you know when an album is just lacking something? Such is the case with NYH. So a 7 stands.
>>
File: 1518439.jpg (18KB, 296x300px) Image search: [Google]
1518439.jpg
18KB, 296x300px
>Orange: 5/10

I never liked Orange much. Since day one it was sort of an odd one for me. Fishmans stripped out of reggae AND dream pop? I mean what the hell is this even? "This wouldn't sound like fishmans" i thought with myself before listening to the album. Of course I always admired that organization of instrumentation that Fishmans had going on, much similar to a jazz band. So yeah i was still expecting something good.

What we have here is indeed not at all like a Fishmans record, this is more like your 90s indie rock with lots of 60s, 70s and 80s pop influences and yeah it's not really that good. The timing is good, the players are good, but the music just doesn't blend. The songs don't sound like songs, the drums don't fit in the same room with the guitars and they end up sounding more like a collection of sounds beating one over the another instead of blending in perfect harmony. Good instrumentation and compositions but it's just a mess. I blame a little the mixing team as well.
>>
>>71217536
Come iiiiiiiiin i heard a voice from insiiiiiide
Also this has some of his best guitar work and the opener is the best american primitivism song ive ever heard
I know bashos voice is what sets him apart but i liked that it wasnt as present because some of these are definitely better without vox

>>71218059
Mfw no trip master race

>>71219819
Old music is overrated anyway
>>
Kuuchuu Camp: 9/10

This is obviously the quitessential Fishmans album along with Long Season, and one of my favorites. A combination of downtempo that is about as good as anything offered by the top bands worldwide at the time (Mezzanine, Portishead) and dreamy dreampop making up some sort of an agitated but subtle night ambiance. Just really massive and good arrangements.
>>
File: Long Season.jpg (179KB, 600x597px) Image search: [Google]
Long Season.jpg
179KB, 600x597px
>Long Season: 10/10
Long Season would have been easily the best track on about almost any album that was created in the world. Mystery, tension, experimental yet wholly accessible, complex arrangements, a sublime discharge of landscapes and emotions. One of the greatest albums of all times
>>
>>71221658
also forgot to mention epic. Truly it is a phenomenal epic
>>
File: R-8740603-1467751010-1335.jpeg.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
R-8740603-1467751010-1335.jpeg.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
Akasaka Blitz: 9.1/10
The version of Go Go Round this World is absolutely jaw dropping and is one of the best Fishmans tracks ever, all other tracks were nice as well. Sounds like an extended kuuchuu camp, even their take on Long Season will feature elements and instrumentation closer to night cruising or lucky guy than the studio version of the track itself. But pretty great and filled with epic moments peculiar to Fishmans.
>>
>>71221658
also forgot trip
>>
>>71218059
easy solve: don't have a trip

>>71217297
shut your fuck

Idk I just like post-punk a lot sue me

>>71221759
stop
>>
>>71221781
make me
>>
>>71221810
pretty please
>>
File: cool dude.png (282KB, 400x368px) Image search: [Google]
cool dude.png
282KB, 400x368px
>>71221840
k
>>
File: 6122404.png (261KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
6122404.png
261KB, 300x300px
>Uchu Nippon Setagaya: 10/10
It's easily one of the best dream pop albums I've listened to. Fishmans take their jazz band-like play and discipline and brings it to new heights for this record. To start with the phenomenal pokka pokka, this one is them at one of their most freer and experimental moments. Then following that there's the absorbing "Weather Report", title paying homage to the classic 70s jazz band. It takes your hand and effortlessly reaches the heavenly sky high ethereal, and then just as easily becomes a sweet art rock song, a playful and bittersweet dub funky single or a melancholic night anthem. And there's some kind of clean futuristic vibe to it and some sad night vibes coming towards the end. Not many tracks can follow up Walking in the Rhythm but Daydream holds it's own very well, proving the whole greatness of the album.
>>
File: fishmans.jpg (188KB, 1500x1488px) Image search: [Google]
fishmans.jpg
188KB, 1500x1488px
>8月の現状: 9/10
This one is arguably the most subdued turn in the entire Fishmans discography, even more so than in their EP Corduroy's Mood, and also their most ambient dreampop moment and far out etheral by far. The intrumentation and technique show off is sublime.
>>
>>71221924
>>71221943
is this pasta
>>
>>71216378
wow rude
>>
>>71221967
>>71221943
>>71221721
>>71221658
>>71221579
STOP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>71222065
let it happen.

let the fishmans autism take over.

it is inevitable.
>>
>Otokotachi no Wakare: 9.3/10
Fishmans final album, recorded live.This album is solid, the worst track in here is still good but the whole doesn't sound cohesive. The songs that worked here though are hands down their best output ever. Some tracks such as Night Cruising, ゆらめき IN THE AIR and a couple of others have what is almost indisputably their best renderings delivered on here. Long Season is arguably better as well and more intense and epic (how is that even possible, right?)

ゆらめき IN THE AIR is also one of Fishmans best tracks, perhaps impossible to follow up in similar way that Long Season is. And not only that but the version in this album manages to outdo the studio recording of In The Air and is truly an almost unmatched magnificent sight. In Otokotachi, Fishmans do follow this track with a 6 minute rendering of their most famous and asked song at the time, Ikareta Baby. Obviously not contesting Ikareta's quality, and the take of the song is indeed really great. For the Fishmans fan and within The Fishmans history it's a nice and emotional moment and makes complete sense coming after all the massive epic first half, but for someone who just stumbled upon the band it simply cannot match ゆらめき IN THE AIR's impossible standards. It's already the closer of any album and Ikareta certainly will look out of place and meager without certain context. Long Season alleviates a little bit this difference by evening out the game and being an even more stunning and epic conclusion, perhaps one of the top tracks ever outmatched only by the likes of Sister Ray or some classical music opus. Still Ikareta is great and provided one of the most emotional moments of the night, but cant do much sandwiched between the best fishmans tracks.

Besides a few minor flaws its a great album.
>>
File: Cover.jpg (272KB, 1775x1775px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
272KB, 1775x1775px
Change is coming. It's been happening in different ways, but through synchronicity. People are coming into realizations about things simultaneously but in different ways. The very nature of the universe - is it expanding or contracting? I wouldn't knkow, I"m just an artist - IS, well it has to be like this, this dark energy, this perfect quantum nothingness.
In 1967, The Velvet Underground and Nico released a prophetic (i.e. divine, biblical) work of art. It is said that, though this album did not achieve worldwide mainstream recognition at the time, every single person who heard it at the time understood it at such a visceral impact that they were inspired to go out and make a band of their own.
In 2015, Liturgy released The Ark Work, a 56-minute post-internet interactive work that beguiled and bewildered critics. They described The Ark Work as incomprehensible and pure aesthetic. Some people even say it is embarrassing and reminds them of the most pretentious bowels of Tumblr. What they do not realize – or what they realize exactly and just disgusts the shit out of them - is the prophetic message held within the mythos of The Ark Work, written by Hunter Hunt-Hendrix.
>>
Anon, review ITAOTS next. Have you heard this one?

>>71222028
Talk more about your trip. How was it?
>>
File: 1471231272670.png (381KB, 276x650px)
1471231272670.png
381KB, 276x650px
Artists, however, are on exactly the same wavelength, and feel every intensity of this aesthetic, the pinnacle of pretentiousness, of pretending we can reach divinity with this aesthetic of stupid wide-eyed art school pretention which encompasses everything, everything because the internet is everything and allows us to learn about and understand all viewpoints, thereby making us artists empathize and intellectualize anything which might be construed by others as pretentious - and with this empathy comes the apocalypse of world peace, which is not even a "doing" [always] made consciously but discovered even by ordinary people in bursts of synchronicity, intimate marijuana moments, which they share with an intimate inside humor that they do not understand is not only art, but divine word.
That which is kitsch taps not only into the primal appeal of the lowbrow but into a self-awareness that there is nothing to be insecure about at all with anything because there is no need to maintain this division which oppresses - gay/straight, black/white, poor/rich - this game of capitalism, of cultural capital, is an utter joke. An assignment in Art History class asking students, most majoring in Art and not Art History, to regurgitate factual information about art of the past is almost an utter joke. To what end? Some need a push of knowledge, but miss the whole picture. Why aren't we artists just saying upfront that we want to make art which is godlike - we are so consumed by accelerationist capitalism that we want to be God - by making artwork which is Everything - good and bad, tacky and so sensually graceful and perfect and Bernini-like, Bach-like - but also like the ghetto, like the ratchet, like the trashy and stupid and embarrassing because we Love Everything and Understand Everything or at least have a desire to that we are not even always conscious about.
>>
>>71215039
>6 hours
damn, both times I've tried it the trip only lasted like 3 1/2 hours

time to up the dosage

sounds like a neato time, being outside is the best
>>
>tfw didnt get the get but still have to dump the dump for autism's sake

CONTEMPORARY ART, WHICH IS GAY AS HELL, SUCH AS Andy Warhol, Jasper Johns, Robert Rauschenberg, John Cage, Merce Cunningham, Cy Twombly, William Burroughs, Allen GInsberg, Kenneth Anger, John Waters, Gregory Markopoulos, Arthur Russell, Ryan Trecartin, Total Freedom, Liturgy, is also prophetic, Shamanic and Messianic, surely some kind of "Illuminati" because it is knowledge of everything contained into a feeling, a sound, an aesthetic - it is everything at once - it wants to be godlike.
Some artists are not conscious of this divine wavelength - or perhaps they are so humble that they do not wish to spread the dangerous knowledge of the Second Coming. Their powers will be appropriated, taken away, by rich white straight men, the government spying on our creativity.
That must be why Two-Spirit people were revered as shamans. They embody this paradox of life, this violent masculinity, this tortured femininity, and achieve a transcendental harmony the unenlightened cannot. It is Everything. Communism and capitalism. Can't you see time and history are so cyclical that infinite knowledge has been repeating over and over and over again? It is intuitively felt because it is the real - it is the energy - it is there. It is queer, it is here, it is energy, or what you might call matter; it is fear, it is happiness, it is orgasms, dehumanizing pornographic orgasms, this capitalist nightmare collapsing onto itself - and it also has always been in America, in Christianity and in the religions of the peoples Christians have massacred - it is also in contemporary art, in Hunter's art, maybe even in your own because it is everywhere, inescapable, a knowledge discovered intuitively - that is what art IS, it is an attempt to express that intuition we usually cannot otherwise find ways to express with words in everyday conversation.
>>
>>71222307
Maybe, were you tripping hard? Longer isn't better. My first serious time was over 12 hours and I was ready to come down
>>
File: hunther (7).png (313KB, 540x441px) Image search: [Google]
hunther (7).png
313KB, 540x441px
>>71222311
Maybe the world is ending soon because it seems like everything is happening so fast - but wasn't it always here? Why are we so isolated? History is just like, learning about things that happened, that are always happening every day because history is always repeating, in new ways, but like wheels. Art necessitates a childlike urgency, a daycare center to imagine new possibilities.

10/10
>>
File: hunther (73).png (264KB, 586x517px) Image search: [Google]
hunther (73).png
264KB, 586x517px
>>71222311
>>71222355
dubs
>>
>>71222355
Freitag sieht leider schlecht aus, würd sonst gern hin.
Ich sag bescheid falls sich was ändert, aber das is nich so wahrscheinlich.
>>
>>71222375
you are one of the worst things
>>
but why
>>
>>71222423
idk you tell me
>>
>>71222418
oh okay na dann. ich geh warscheinlich so oder so
>>71222420
>>
>>71221427
>>71221510
>>71221579
>>71221658
>>71221721
>>71221943
>>71221967
>>71222126
Ace reviews mate. Would strongly rec you check out the rest of their discography.

I'd agree that Neo-Yankee's is one of their most underrated. Everyday/Everynight and Walkin' are amazing pop songs. Could totally see why someone wouldn't like Orange though.

>>71222350
>>71222307
I've had to babysit friends that lasted nearly 24 hours, but most that ever happened for 12 hours on an edible.

>>71222209
>>71222265
>>71222311
>>71222355
*midi doot*
next time review the music why don't you?
>>
>>71219942
Yo I dunno man I'm p drunk
>>
File: it's not that deep.png (151KB, 395x395px) Image search: [Google]
it's not that deep.png
151KB, 395x395px
>>71222209
>>71222265
>>71222311
>>71222355
who cares about ideological gobbledygook if the music sucks?
>>
>>71221513
It's cool that it's your favourite, wasn't really having a go since it's still a fantastic album. Wine Song is prob one of my fav songs from him anyway.

>>71221781
been relistening to it now, it's not complete shit like I said, I forgot that first half is pretty good i like the understated synth sound that still uses a lot of guitar and Hooky's bass but i remember why I turned off during the 2nd half, when they go full synth it is just terrible.

also bumped Power, Corruption & Lies up half a star right now if only for how good it is in comparison to later New Order
>>
>>71220711
Patreon
Nexus mods
Severe million porn sites
>>
>>71222636
meant to say when they go full synth/dance
>>
>>71222640
Oh, and uber, discord and thepiraebay
>>
>2 1/2 hours into Sex Survey Results
>Haven't heard my name yet
Should I give up? I wanna fucking die.

>>71222570
Right? Even if it were as deep as some people claim how you chose to bring forth that message was to make a shitty glitchy, repetative, avant-rock album with bad rapping and midi horns. I feel like he's saying critics hated the Ark Work and only people who took art 101 will truly understand it, but from what I've seen every major publication just thought it was whatever. Only major negative review I can find is from Fantano and Exclaim.

>>71222636
>when they go full synth it is just terrible
if you're talking about Blue Monday imma bout to blow
>>
>>71222350
I was tripping p hard both times
I guess that's true
The come down lasted for fucking ever though
>>
>>71222717
DON'T GIVE UP
>>
>>71222492
cuz you already know how it sounds you dolt
>>
>>71222717
nah Blue Monday is great too but after that I can't handle it, songs like Confusion and Shellshock
>>
>>71222717
>people who took art 101
make that people who read the titles of the required reading for art 101 in a particularly shitty community college and the introduction to the decline of the west
>>
>>71222784
>dolt
don't call me names

idk it says to me you care more about Hunter's Ideology than you do his music, which makes you look like a giant poser.
>>
>>71222636
>2nd half includes Bizarre Love Triangle, True Faith and Perfect Kiss
You can die now

Full synth new order is best new order
>>
>>71222825
he reviewed the music like ten times already and none of it made any sense give him a break
>>
this might be a bit too personal a question but guys who have done LSD (or shrooms I guess) did it help with your general mood mid-long term afterwards? been feeling pretty depressed recently and was thinking about trying proper psychedelics for the first time

>>71222855
if i could die and take those synths with me I would do it
>>
>>71222825
nevermind that review was pasta, of all things that make me look like a poser, you'd say _that_ does? you're just not allowed to care about concepts and extramusical aesthetics and how that stuff plays together and all that? m8 don't make me turn this into an actual discussion
>>
>>71222888
>did it help with your general mood mid-long term afterwards?
Not particularly
Maybe I felt a little more in tune with myself for a few days but nothing drastic.

Although I've read up on micro dosing and that's supposed to work wonders.
(Of course their are much better and more permanent ways for combating depression!!!)
>>
>>71222888
>did it help with your general mood mid-long term afterwards
nice trips. And no, it didn't really help with my depression when I did LSD for the first time. I think everyone should try it at least once (perhaps with a friend who's more experienced with it) and it was an amazing experience, but it definitely left me with a few days of a "wow" feeling.

My advice would be to obtain gf or alcohol. Or perhaps both.

>>71222921
>you're just not allowed to care about concepts and extramusical aesthetics and how that stuff plays together and all that?
that's fine but that's practically all I ever hear Liturgy fans talk about. It's all gobbledygook, made-up English words, and all ideology. Why should anyone who doesn't even like the music care about any of that?

Idk I don't mean to always to make fun of Hunter and I'm sure the guy's talented, but his music, the stuff he does, and the way his fans act are all too easy to pick on.
>>
>>71222946
>(Of course their are much better and more permanent ways for combating depression!!!)
yeah i'm not really buying into the whole 'psychedelics are the cure', i'm just wondering since I'm nowhere near as depressed as I've been in the past and it could be a decent way to get me out of the rut again from what I've seen some say about it, i'd rather not go back on antidepressants. and it just seems like a good experience irrelevant of that.

>>71223018
i'll try on the gf front, alcohol is good but it just makes me feel even worse when I'm not drinking
>>
>>71222888
Yes! But it depends on you bringing to them a genuine curiosity about shedding ego or gaining some outside perspective, maybe a creative period. I heard from people how they just went into creative outbursts of reading and writing afterwards and I really wanted that kind of inspiration. Whether or not that came from actually taking the drugs seems beside the point if that's really taken a hold of you. If you're lucky, you'll be at least able to take away some insight that your sober mind isn't used to creating. If you're luckier, you'll feel this momentary sensation of intense peace that you'll never forget. I'm rambling. I really, really like them though, and I'm a loner so I haven't come across them in a few years :(

I'm one of the few who prefers shrooms too, but to each his own
>>
>>71223018
nah to be completely honest i just like his sense of melody (or rhythm in tracks like kel valhaal) and everything else is a huge bonus
>too easy to pick on.
but then why would you, isnt that boring? >>71217415
just depends on whether you see ridiculousness as a good or bad thing, i guess, i understand both
meh, that was the worst & dumbest missed get of all time probably but im used to looking dumb
>>
>>71212067
This is life changing stuff
>>
>>71219819
just based on the chart I think you'd appreciate The Notorious Byrd Brothers. also listen to fahey
>>
>>71212067
im binging through all of them in order and oh my god the japanese shampoo one ahahahahah
>>
>>71223067
>i'd rather not go back on antidepressants.
I feel you. I'd look into microdosing.
http://wtop.com/health/2017/02/can-lsd-treat-depression-microdosing-mainstream/

Also try tripping at least once
It's a helluva experience
>>
>>71223348
http://shampoofantasy.com/
>>
File: mee.png (357KB, 487x360px) Image search: [Google]
mee.png
357KB, 487x360px
also IMPORTANT
http://www.strawpoll.me/12409742
>>
>>71223415
i voted
>>
>>71220777
Wow, I screenshotted this for later. Is this based on my chart or just essential albums?
>>
>>71223442
good job!
>>
>>71223144
the creativity side of it is something I'm looking for too, though that's kind of tied to depression. I feel I'm getting decent enough at guitar that I should be writing music more but I struggle to get motivated.
>I'm a loner
so am I right now, only see my mates a couple times a month, I really need to move to where they are. it'd prob be shrooms desu think they've done that more

>>71223351
i'll have a look into it, i've heard of it before but I don't have the first clue in reliably getting a hold of it so idk
>>
>>71223415
T O W N E S
O
W
N
E
S

and shit i should do one of these for my 3000th
>>
>>71223415
voted, you should listen to Dreamweapon as well tho
>>
>>71223555
i'm going to listen to all of them, this is just picking the order, with the winner being the big 2000.
>>
>>71222888
When i trip i always feel amazing for a few days afterwards. Every aspect of life just feels better and i'm more motivated to do things. Slowly that goes away and then i'm back to baseline. It's not some magic thing that turns you into the person you want to be, but it can reveal some things about you that you may have been repressing or ignoring. What you do with that information is up to you. This may sound pretty dumb, but i had been in a long sequence of being depressed that i barely hung out with people anymore. I took some L spontaneously one day and it made me realize that i couldn't remember the last time that i had been the one to invite people out to do something myself. I called up my friends the next day and we had a great time hanging out. So i guess what i'm saying is don't expect to feel happier long term after tripping, but it can give you new perspectives on problems you have within your life.

I would recommend doing a ton of research beforehand on erowid and the drugs subreddit because that really helped me to calm my nerves the first time and helped me to be more prepared for what i was gonna experience. Also, for the first time i would really recommend doing it with friends or at least have somewhere there to watch out so you don't freak out and do something stupid. Good luck!
>>
>>71223209
>but then why would you, isnt that boring?
I guess when I see a huge praise behind something I don't understand why it's liked, it triggers a inferiority "I must be stupid" complex within me which makes me react in such a way. I don't much at all for Aerosmith, but I at least see what aspects about it people enjoy.

Huge examples of this for me include Eno's Art Rock stuff, Royal Trux, and The Ark Work, which I don't really see any musical aspect of why anyone would like it, and when I see a lot of bs non-musical reviews it makes me be like "I want you to explain to me why you like this so I can know!! Not talk about your childhood memories surrounding it!"

I guess it's super niche because Liturgy is very love/hate. It infuriates me I guess because I really loved aspects of aesthethica but can't really wrap my head around why anyone would like the Ark Work as much as they do.

>>71223415
voted for Ground-Zero but I really hope it ends up being Bon Iver.
>>
>>71223617
lol
>>
>>71223532
Yeah I'm the same way with friends. It's a chore to meet them lately. But hallucinogens are weird enough that you'll at least be thinking "what the hell was that?" at the very worst and inspired but what answers you come up with. Any alien experience is good for you, I think
>>
>>71222307
>3 1/2 hours
Damn nigga, I've only done it once and it lasted like 15 hours.
>>
File: jpg.jpg (1MB, 2041x1680px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
1MB, 2041x1680px
Raùl Ruiz - Colloque de Chiens
[1977]

Seriously so good. Raùl Ruiz might just be what I've been searching for in cinema. The other film of his that I saw, Manoel's Destinies, was a surreal odyssey with some of the dreamiest passages i've seen yet; as for Colloque de chiens it's a short film (20 min) straight up packed with quality ideas and storytelling.
The plot (which i'm not goint to talk about because it would mean spoiling it) is told with the use of various still photos and a narrator, and inbetween the major scenes there are interludes with videos of urban france and barking dogs. The whole aesthetic and feel reminds me of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, even if there isn't any magical realism to be found here, but it wasthe first thing to pop into mind.
Definitely worth a watch if you have twenty minutes to spare.

>>
>>71223586
Good points here. It's what you bring to it. I get frustrated when people are like, "No, anything spiritual was just the drugs." Like, damn.
>>
>>71223681
Well I mean the entire experience was like 12 hours
But the actual intense euphoric trip was only that long. The rest was just a mild high and then the come down
>>
File: 11numberelevenincircle.png (14KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
11numberelevenincircle.png
14KB, 500x500px
Good evening /daily/!

Back from my Turkey worktrip. Gonna post some shitpost reviews and go party. It is Friday after all!

How is everyone?
>>
File: 3348293.jpg (24KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
3348293.jpg
24KB, 280x280px
>Jandek – Seattle Friday

This one is very special.

Sterling Smith (reverb-y guitar and vocal performances) decides to party in a similar style he did in. Once again, there is a drummer (Emil Amos) and a bassist (Sam Coomes) that try to contain the Rep’s acrobatics with elements of “clarity” and “progression”. They try really hard and they do it quiet well throughout the first tracks. There are “riffs” and “drum fills” that just make Rep’s guitar sound like a very spicy side dish. That’s good and it stays this way up to “Image of the lanterns”.

What happens then is (in my opinion) equivalent to the appearance of Nancy on “Chair…”. Liz Harris a.k.a. the eternally sleepy Grouper performs the duty of a lead vocalist on “Across From Me” and on further tracks (with some back up help from Jessica Dennison) and it is perfect. Her voice sounds very unfamiliar with the Jandek surrounding so there are times when she sounds a bit lost. That is where the magic is. Then again her cold delivery shares some common grounds with Rep’s howls, so it fits well at times.

The big jam on here is the heart-beat of “Yes Dear”, which is a 20-minute long jazz rush of Jandek singing along with the 2 backup female performers. It sounds bonkers and you already know how much I love when Jandek does duet singing. It feels so goddamn awkward but just right at the same time.

Wonderful performance. Based on the RYM ratings, I would say this is very overlooked. I mean you get Jandek, Grouper and great free improvisation all in one package! Can’t say no to that!

8+/10 for now
>>
Not an announcement, but how would everyone feel about a survivor-esque tourney?

Basically what I'm thinking is:
1) Five people are placed in anywhere between two and six teams.
2) Everyone gives an individual rec.
3) Listener listens to said recs.
4) The team that has the lowest average score has to vote a member off (or something similar to this)
5) Repeat until tourney is too small to hold teams and is just down to individuals

It would take fucking forever to get through the recs but I think it could be fun for someone who wants 100+ recs.

>>71223941
good!! How many Jandek releases do you have left now?
>>
>>71224063
YES I WANNA DO IT
that was the original plan for the show show but i knew i'd take too long.
>>
File: 4192599.jpg (45KB, 600x604px) Image search: [Google]
4192599.jpg
45KB, 600x604px
>Jandek – Indianapolis Saturday

You know it’s gonna be an exciting Jandek performance when you hear a violin free improvisation and double bass bows over flutes and percussion.

One thing I respect Jandek’s live shows for is that he never stops pushing his comfort zone. He is still a “conventionally” terrible musician, but his developed style of atonal guitar rhythm plucks proves to be immaculate when combined with numerous different performers, playing a wide range of instruments. He never manages to lose the melancholic core of his live performances.

The stringed instruments work here. The legatos find a way to squeeze in between Sterling’s guitar work. The double bass from Lester Johnson make the tracks feel like a melting jazz record. Then there’s varied percussion (mostly drums and xylophone) that constantly work as the sticky mass keeping everyone on track. Tracks like “Goodbye My Love” share the dissonance of Glenn Branca pieces, where the steady drumbeat (courtesy of Nathan Vollmar) allows for the buildups in the improvisations. In addition to the musical component throughout these live shows, I keep noticing how Sterling’s laid back vocal performances really work wonders for these as well.

Female vocals return in Indianapolis! No more Grouper, but we do get a very sweet vocalist (Liz Janes who also appears to be the violinist) regardless on one of the two final tracks of the first CD. Once again, the softer and the more “seductive” female vocals are a perfect fit for the standard Corwood parties. Her returns on the second CD (especially on the closer “Timeless”) work. They really do.

So yeah, great stuff! Maybe a bit too long, but some of the jams are way too fun anyway!

8/10
>>
File: super good.jpg (92KB, 656x520px) Image search: [Google]
super good.jpg
92KB, 656x520px
>want to listen to an album from the chart so that i dont end up being lazy boy
>put on an album
>30 minutes later realize it wasnt even on the chart
mfw

>>71223941
im good

>>71224053
>you get Jandek, Grouper and great free improvisation all in one package!
grouper is on this? shit now i gotta hear it
>>
>>71224063
and by "five people" I mean per team and this could obviously change based on how many enter
>>
>>71224090
cute cat
>>
>>71224063
Nice to hear the fish is swimming in peace.

7 CDs and 1 DVD (which for some reason was not released as a CD.

>>71224090
That sounds ultra good.

and yes, I was surprised to hear Grouper on it too!
>>
File: soul.jpg (392KB, 1172x974px) Image search: [Google]
soul.jpg
392KB, 1172x974px
>Sam Cooke - Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963
Talking about a cure to depression, how about some live soul music! Only thing I'd heard from Cooke before this was Night Beat, which was recorded in the same year and I thought was average. But this has so much life to it, besides the band being tight and Cooke being a great showman along with his voice, the recording really helps, it's great, there's enough crowd noise to make you feel like you're there but not so much it distracts you, it's a party. How can't you at least smile along to songs like Twistin the Night Away. 4+/5

>Otis Redding - Live in Europe
Similar story here, the recording isn't quite as good but there's so much damn soul. The rendition of Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song) is incredible and the speed they play Day Tripper at is great. You can tell everyone was having a blast. Only thing is I'm not sure this is in Paris, it doesn't take away from it at all obviously, just thought it was something to note. 4/5

>>71223586
desu i don't think i expect more than that from a trip. And I've already done quite a bit of research over the years, just never had much of an opportunity until recently, I think I'm in the right mindset for it.

>>71223644
Yeah sucks. Thanks for all the advice btw guys

>>71224063
sounds like a great idea, i could never be bothered committing to running it though
>>
File: 4452523.jpg (21KB, 430x433px) Image search: [Google]
4452523.jpg
21KB, 430x433px
>Jandek – Atlanta Saturday

This performance is out of this world, even by Jandek standards. Remember Manhattan Tuesday? If Manhattan Tuesday was like a soft, melting rock performance then this is a chamber music ensemble performance. Rep on the piano, Seth Coon on bass clarinet, Anna Balka on violin and Kelly Shane on glimmering percussion.

It sounds so peaceful! Sterling’s piano playing is so monotone that it allows the violin to truly shine. The violin performance is a bit different from the Indianapolis performance. It seemed like the player in the previous release was struggling to find a melodic core in the ensemble’s playing, so that was more of a dissonant affair. Everything is in harmony here. That is, of course, until Part 6 hits you. The speed of everything goes up by a notch and this is where a small piece of dissonance appears. Seth Coon suffers a bit more than Anna Balka when trying to keep up, but there is still relative harmony for the most of the section.

The vocal delivery from Rep is exactly the same as it was during Manhattan Tuesday. This low, spoken word performance in a very laid back manner. The lyrics also seem to share some similarities with the Afternoon of Insensitivity. Both concentrate on reclusive characters that search for peace of mind in an alienating society. Falling into traps, life of confusion, choosing a different way.

I definitely recommend you give this a listen. It sounds very refreshing for a live Jandek show and the man is still not giving up on experimenting with the instrumental line up.

9-/10
>>
File: 5326269.jpg (542KB, 800x785px) Image search: [Google]
5326269.jpg
542KB, 800x785px
>Jandek – Richmond Sunday

Jandek project turns into Kenny G’s side-project.

Just kidding, but the introduction of a saxophone to the standard live guitar-bass-drum mix is somewhat cheesy at first. This is mostly due to the way the sax player behaves on “This Dream”. However, things pick up on the following track and where the sax and guitar try to mess around with each other.

By the time we get to What She On (more like What Are They On hehehe), the pace speeds up even more and we get the more abrasive interplay between the instrumentalists. JC Kuhl who is on the saxophone definitely becomes the centerpiece of the performance just because it sounds rather unusual in a Jandek project. This is more of a free jazz ensemble than anything else.

I do agree that it lasts a bit too long but the energy of the performance (and Jandek’s vocals too) keeps the entire album going. Good stuff.

7/10
>>
File: 5326264.jpg (669KB, 800x788px) Image search: [Google]
5326264.jpg
669KB, 800x788px
>Jandek – Athens Saturday

This mellow and dream-like performance has Rep on the keys, (the nicest skeleton of all time) Bradford Cox on guitar, John Fernandes on bass clarinet/violin. Eric Harris on drums and Heather McIntosh on cello.

It is a very slow-paced dirge, dedicated to the loss of interest in everything. We get an internal dialogue from the Rep, where one of the more “excited” voices tries to talk the other voice into going out and enjoying life. The discussion is limited to the Rep’s second personality replying that he does nothing but wait for his death. He does nothing but sit there. The basic idea is that life is escaping him and it’s always too late to do anything. I find this to be a story with a positive moral personally. Just go out and do stuff. Regret is much more depressing.

The instrumental counterpart makes me think of La Monte Young because either McIntosh or Fernandes constantly keep performing these drone sections. Cox is pretty safe with his guitar and goes for this minimal repetition just to sharpen up the dream-like hysteria. The percussion is very faint and it fits exactly where it should.

Beautiful piece with great lyrical content. Recommend this if you prefer the more ambient-ish live Jandek performances.

8/10
>>
File: 6396079.jpg (65KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
6396079.jpg
65KB, 1000x1000px
>Thundercat – Drunk

Ok, I wasn’t gonna write this prior to listening to this album, but I have to vent this out.

Thundercat is a cool guy. I had a pleasure of hanging out with him once for like 15 minutes and he seemed to be a genuinely nice and fun guy. I also really like the stuff he did with FlyLo and his first solo album.

However, after listening to Drunk, all I can say that:

1) Every single song sounds the fucking same. They all sound like every single song on his previous album too. 0 songwriting variety. Guy is brilliant with his bass guitar but he can’t write anything proper (or doesn’t want to).

2) Thundercat’s vocal performance gets annoying after the first couple of tracks because, once again, it all sounds exactly the same. I don’t expect him to go into variety of vocal styles or something, but I felt like the monotony of his vocal recitals and harmonies along with the same-ish instrumental tracks really hits the bore-nail.

3) I feel like this album had way too many cultural references that are just unnecessary. (L O L, Jesus Take The Wheel, playing Diablo and shit like that).

None of these songs hit the peaks of his debut. Some of the tracks were sort of silly and not in an obnoxious way. Captain Stupido reminded me of one of my best friends, so that got a chuckle out of me. I liked Inferno too because the instrumentation was much richer with very sweet strings arrangements.

So, basically, this album is a very boring Thundercat album with higher features budget (Kenny Lodgins and Kendrick were pretty alright) and occasional glimpses of coolness. Otherwise, a definite disappointment. Maybe I am a bit too harsh, maybe I get bored of anything that doesn’t sound like a tortured Japanese grandma. Maybe both. I’ll still listen to his next album, but Thundercat can do much better.

4+/10
>>
>>71224063
Reserving ;^)
>>
>>71224063
this sounds really cool

i'd never hold one but i'd totally participate in one, mainly because i generally seem to have good luck in tourneys

>>71224216
god i need to listen to more otis

>>71224296
ah well i was gonna put this on soon after i check out the new king giz, now i'm not so sure...

>maybe I get bored of anything that doesn’t sound like a tortured Japanese grandma

fucking lmao
>>
>>71220173
that last episode....

moca a cute
>>71220914
may i ask what university? OSU?
>>
>>71224063
i'd be down
>>
I ordered some Jandek CDs for the final set of reviews. I think I will stop for a bit once I reach Dublin Friday.

>>71224429
ah, you never know, maybe you'll like it, maybe not. It isn't all that long.
>>
>>71224449
forgot my trip
>>
File: nperign.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
nperign.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
Pictured: free improv jazz lowercase
>>
>>71224429
so do I man, can't get enough of what I've heard so far. Would definitely recommend this if you can dig slightly worse recording quality that's made up for with a rawer performance
>>
>>71224586
>slightly worse recording quality that's made up for with a rawer performance
boi that's my musical fetish, def checking it out soon.
>>
No wonder this is only available on DVD
>>
>>71224694
guess it's time for me to plug Bo Diddley's Beach Party again then, it's wild for 1963

Also another I've mentioned a few times in here, Curtis/Live!, recording quality is amazing like but it's a lot more stripped down than his studio records
>>
>>71223461
A little of both
>>
File: Freeform Chart 6.png (126KB, 1560x720px) Image search: [Google]
Freeform Chart 6.png
126KB, 1560x720px
Dirty Projectors - Dirty Projectors (2017)
>alternative R&B, glitch pop, art pop

Another addition to the bafflingly shitty genre of "autotuned glitchy alt R&B by an established indie artist", invented by last year's 22, a Million and not improved upon at all here. I can't even explain how shoddily this is put together. Bitte Orca might have been a mess, but at least the different sections of tracks naturally flowed into each other, every single track here contains at least one incredibly jarring transition that doesn't fit the songs at all, but somehow every track here still manages to sound the same. The production is decent, but a lot of the same tricks are pulled over and over again, and the autotune, which I can definitely stomach when used well, is just fucking terrible. Longstreth apparently really hates his vocals (I mean, they're not great, but they're endearing in a less interesting Avey Tare kinda way) because he has to mask them in some way on each track. The pitch shifting on the otherwise pretty decent "Keep Your Name" is especially egregious, it just sounds fucking stupid, it does nothing but make the song seem much cheesier and dumber than it actually is. I saw a post on /r/indieheads that said that this would revolutionize indie rock, and I honestly can't even fathom how anyone could think that. Not only is this bad, but it's just another album in the bloated alt-R&B album that does nothing to stand out besides being especially poor.

>>71224853
i've always wanted to listen to Bo Diddley, and i'm honestly shocked and ashamed that I've never listened to Curtis/Live especially considering how much I love Curtis and Superfly. thanks!
>>
>>71225077
Bitte Orca is the only thing they have done worth a damn, and even then the only reason for that is Stillness is the Move.
>>
Lists Chart 2.png
2MB, 2296x1784px
Anthony Braxton - For Alto (1970)
>free jazz

Braxton seems like he would be totally brilliant with a band behind him, but I've never particularly liked solo jazz and Braxton's sax performance definitely gets old after a while. He's definitely really great, his passion on the instrument is unparalleled, and the sheer amount of sound he can get out of the instrument is really admirable, but his performances quickly turn meandering after they've been going on for a while. The first LP, consisting entirely of tracks under ten minutes, is the better of the two, because it manages to stay interesting, while the second LP is just a total slog to get through. Definitely gonna be checking out more Braxton, but I'm not too huge on this.

2.5-
>>
>>71225121
i actually wasn't too huge on that track, but I really liked useful chamber.
>>
>>71225077
Everyone should start off at Beach Party with Bo imo, I started with a couple of his studio albums and I didn't get the hype, some of it sounds a bit dated but in a raw, live situation I got it completely. It's another thing I can thank Spacemen 3 for that as well, would never have listened to it if it wasn't for their cover of I'm Alright

and I don't want to hype Curtis/Live up too much but it's my favourite so enjoy
>>
>>71225275
>some of it sounds a bit dated but in a raw, live situation I got it completely
totally how i feel about a lot of early rock, a lot of it got kinda neutered in the studio.
>>
>>71225344
yup, I've said it before but I started to look into old rockabilly but gave up pretty quickly because so much of it was so sterile, there's not really any live recordings either apart from the odd TV appearance so I'm just left listening to stuff like Hasil Adkins and The Cramps for my fix
>>
Lists Chart 2.png
2MB, 2296x1784px
Big Youth - Dread Locks Dread (1975)
>deejay, roots reggae, dub

Big Youth is just such a likeable deejay. His vocals are really smooth and warm, even when he's really political and angry in his lyrics, he never breaks away from his smooth, chill persona, and the music compliments him perfectly. It's half lighter, chiller deejay and half bassy, heavy dub, and both of them are done well. I'm still not too big on deejay as a genre, but the tracks in this style are very nicely chill, and the dub is great.

i'll start the mini tourney tonight!!!
>>
>>71224063
Sounds like a good amount of shit talking potential; I'm in.
Can I evict Tuco even if he's not on my team?
>>
File: 1486174338455.png (565KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
1486174338455.png
565KB, 720x479px
>>71223617
yee ykno i can never totally explain why i _actually_ like anything at all in a way i don't find too vague or reductive or just a bit off, especially because i can't really pick out harmony by ear and stuff, shouts out to >>71222861
but part of the reason i saved exitsense's writeup and applied it to TAW was because i just thought
>making artwork which is Everything - good and bad, tacky and so sensually graceful and perfect and Bernini-like, Bach-like - but also like the ghetto, like the ratchet, like the trashy and stupid and embarrassing because we Love Everything and Understand Everything or at least have a desire to that we are not even always conscious about
describes the mindset i see in it pretty well
but the album's not quite as eclectic as i used to think tho and the rest of the review just makes a point similar to one of HHH's tumblr posts which i thought was just cool
>>
>>71225670
definitely not me btw
>>
>>71225670
hasil adkins is fuckin dope i can't blame you

listen to jack starr if you want more in that vein
>>
>>71225707
i think i listened to a little from him on youtube a while ago because you mentioned him, didn't like it too much iirc was a bit metal but what do you recommend?
>>
>>71225845
lmao
can't tell if this is a joke but the actual Jack Starr he's talking about is this mofo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu4e5RwwKfs
>>
>>71225845
oh no not the metal guitarist lol, this guy >>71226053
>>
>>71225237
i think i can get behind why you would dislike this. But For John Cage is one of the best songs out there. solid 7.5/10
>>
>>71226053
>>71226095
loool ffs youtube's search fucked me over, i did think what the fuck have they just recommended

This is great
>>
>>71226114
that was def my favorite track on there.

also, is this the performance you want me to listen to for the tourney? https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/luben_yordanoff_david_tetard_claude_desurmont_daniel_barenboim/quatuor_pour_la_fin_du_temps/

>>71226200
i mean whenever I try to search for David axelrod I just get the Obama advisor so I feel your pain
>>
what do the numbers next to rym list item numbers mean
>>
>>71226707
order

like ranking
>>
four hours and ten minutes in. haven't seen my name yet.

i want to die.
>>
>>71226836
its just around the corner, stick in there fish
>>
>>71226337
yes
you need to create the mood btw
>>
>>71217321
Still mad that this has Linda Perhacs, Sibylle Baier, but not Jessica Pratt
>>
>>71224296
>maybe I get bored of anything that doesn’t sound like a tortured Japanese grandma.
Heavy kek
>>
File: 1438850134971.jpg (17KB, 316x239px) Image search: [Google]
1438850134971.jpg
17KB, 316x239px
it's over

and I'm not in it

fuck
>>
>>71227353
how so?

>>71228168
fucking lmao
>>
>>71228168
lol you wasted over 4 hours listening to people say how many partners they've had
>>
>>71228136
oh shush with ur meme albums Jessica is average you goober!
>>
>>71222420
i actually feel like the last man tho. but i'm human too, my life has value, and everybody will think the same. :)
the courage to cite philosophical concepts you may not have understood.
>>71222423
because my childhood was kinda bad probably
>>
File: whine.jpg (62KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
whine.jpg
62KB, 720x404px
i tried to listen to oversteps but then i got sad and couldnt keep listening to it so I just went off to shower and work on my music to clear off my head.

I heard the first four tracks and they were pretty nice though, there's melodies and for an autechre album it feels kinda """ambient"""y. sadly i find idm boring so hopefully it picks up in the other 10 tracks

I also listened to DJ Metatron - To the Sky, one of Prince of Denmark's other stage names, which also featured Traumprinz, yet another name he uses, but it seems like he uses these two names to dish out the stuff that's not good enough to use for prince of denmark lol
>>
File: a face.png (190KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
a face.png
190KB, 220x220px
>>71228260
courage huh bud
>>
File: csb.jpg (24KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
csb.jpg
24KB, 251x251px
>>71228347
the courage to reply with a meme and an anime girl
>>
>>71228391
youre a fucking disgrace
>>
>>71228401
life ain't graceful
>>
File: 1486425097300.png (1MB, 894x791px) Image search: [Google]
1486425097300.png
1MB, 894x791px
>>71228191
it's the kind of thing you listen to in a roadtrip at slow speed
or the thing you listen to in a melancholic vine
>>71228391
that video is awful
>>
File: daily.png (3MB, 2521x1372px) Image search: [Google]
daily.png
3MB, 2521x1372px
>Max Roach - We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite

good but not amazing. that track where she was just yelling over the drums was pretty cool (the drums throughout were really good). not extremely engaging though and im not sure if ill revisit

3.5/5
>>
>>71228512
makes sense, I'll try and recreate that
>>
>>71228923
>im not sure if ill revisit
you better
>>
>>71228923
>Max Roach album
>(the drums throughout were really good)
:0
>>
>>71229086
what did he mean by this
>>
>>71228923
>71228923
you better fucking listen to It again
it's fucking amazing
>>71228964
i meant to say melancholic views of autumn leafs falling but just typed vine
>>
>>71229269
it means it's obvious the drums were good cuz it's a Max Roach album
>>
>>71229086
>>71229574
i-i've never listened to max roach
>>
>>71229752
>:0

well We Insist! is a good place to start
>>
>>71229752
>i-i've never listened to max roach
Well, if you are a fan of the percussive arts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6xiYL-T494
>>
>>71229788
>>:0
>>
can someone post a cool short film rn

I'll give it a """review""" possibly

bonus points if good music cause this is a """music general"""
>>
>>71229977
Stan Brakhage - Mothlight

has great sountrack
>>
>>71230000
seen it already desu my dude

interesting film tho
>>
>>71230026
>desu my dude
woah

"Meshes of the Afternoon", then?
>>
>>71229977
Martin Scorsese - The Big Shave. Literally 5 minutes but I'd be curious to see if you could write a review on it
>>
>>71230066
seen as well, lovely film

consistently nice digits on you btw
>>71230083
ayt I haven't seen that

will watch now
>>
>>71230093
>seen as well
good taste desu my dude :0

uh maybe then uh try something by Jan Svankmajer? He did several short films.
>>
File: Backlog.png (1MB, 2969x1680px) Image search: [Google]
Backlog.png
1MB, 2969x1680px
[1/2]

Still a pretty great chart so far.

James Brown - Revolution of the Mind
>Funk, R&B

Though his performances are always awesome, I feel like Brown’s live work doesn’t quite match up to his studio stuff. He has a hell of a lot of energy and is a charismatic performer but his music is good enough on his other records. Kind of the same deal here. He has so much energy, yelping, hooting and hollering and the band is killer for most of it too. There’s great performances - “Sex Machine” and “Escape-ism” in particular. And “Make it Funky” is surprisingly entertaining for a 12 minute cut that’s about half dialogue. Brown and the JBs banter back and forth and it’s pretty funny. Really similar to the studio version though.

There’s some great moments where Brown hops on the organ or one of the various sax/trombone/guitar players rips off on a funky solo. But all in all, this is pretty standard stuff for Brown. Still enjoyable.

3/5
>>
>>71230378
[2/2]

Magazine - Real Life
>Post-Punk, Art Punk

I’m not typically a post-punk guy but I really really liked this. Based on the cover, I was expecting some creepy, far out This Heat kind of punk music but this is surprisingly funky. There’s nice little synth riffs, some really good vocals and even some little sax solos. Manages to be kind of edgy/avant-garde while also maintaining some of the catchiness and energy of punk. I always forget this genre isn’t always dark and brooding, there’s some cool releases like this with a lot of energy. Not sure what else I can say but I loved it.

4/5

Lou Reed - Berlin
>Art Rock

Maybe I’m not enough of a Lou Reed guy to like this but I couldn’t get through it. There’s a nice melancholy/bittersweet atmosphere but aside from a few songs I hated it. “Men of Good Fortune” is magnificent, the “Caroline Says” duo is solid and “How Do You Think it Feels” was at least enjoyable. The rest felt sappy and drawn out and I can’t quite explain why. Maybe I’ll come back to this later and it’ll resonate more but I was pretty underwhelmed and even a bit annoyed during this listen.

2/5
>>
>>71228220
lil ree
>>
>>71228923
Dude, Max Roach is the shit. Check his albums with Clifford Brown, they're classic. It's Time! is also worth a listen imo
>>
>>71230399
>The rest felt sappy and drawn out and I can’t quite explain why
it's a rock opera that's why, I still love it but those are pretty valid complaints, maybe you'd enjoy it more revisiting with that in mind?

I think you should give Lou one more go at least with Street Hassle if only for the title track which is probably his best solo work.
>>
Martin Scorsese - The Big Shave

Before works that made him famous like Raging Bull, Taxi Driver and Goodfellas, Martin Scorsese like many other film directors made short films. Beginning in 1963, Scorsese has made a total of 7 short films with his latest one being made in 2015. Among his collection of short films is his 1967 gory yet calm "The Big Shave", a film about a man who indeed has a rather big shave.

[SPOILERS AHEAD (but who really cares about spoilers on this one)]

The film begins normally. The scene is a man played by Pete Bernuth merely shaving his face. As the scene progresses, his face becomes bloodier and bloodier, then the film ends with blood travelling down his chest.

To be honest, though I already had a feeling of what was going to happen, this film still got me good. The moment a single line of blood was displayed on Pete Bernuth's face my eyes widened a bit since it was done so nonchalantly. This gentle self-mutilation was an effective one that left some awful and painful images in my mind.

However, this film gets more interesting if one notes that the alternative title to the film is Viet '67. As many have already pointed out before, this film is an allegory for the Vietnam war. I'd say this short did a good job at portraying the horrors of war through the unexpected medium of shaving.

3.5/5. Good film.

btw, nice soundtrack
>>71230162
ayt will check something out

any particular recs?

add me on letterboxd if you haven't yet btw dudes

http://letterboxd.com/Washizu/
>>
>>71230654
Yeah, I just wasn't feeling it this time around for some reason. I'm not a big rock opera kind of dude in the first place so that probably didn't help. I'll definitely revisit it though, considering all the praise it's gotten

>>71230672
Nice review dude, pretty much summarizes my thoughts. I knew what was gonna happen but was still uncomfortable. I'll add you on letterbox by the way!
>>
>>71230773
yee I was uncomfortable but I guess it's also because I'm kinda squeamish too

thanks for reccing the film, man
>>
>>71230807
No problem, glad you enjoyed it!
>>
>>71228923
>flockaveli
>1.0
nerd
>>
File: Black History Month.png (3MB, 1996x1558px) Image search: [Google]
Black History Month.png
3MB, 1996x1558px
Okay last reviews for tonight.

Sly & The Revolutionaries - Black Ash Dub

Pretty much what I was expecting when I heard the label “dub” a few years back. Very unobtrusive album, nice vibes and cool sound effects. All the tracks are named after drugs (“Marijuana”, “LSD”, “Cocaine”) which is kind of dumb and gimmicky but I didn't mind that too much.

The vibe changes ever so slightly between each song but it's kind of subtle imo and makes the album feel kind of one note. Not a terrible thing but it did make the album feel kinda samey. That being said, it's quite cozy and enjoyable. Just not incredible.

3/5

The Ethiopians - Engine 54

You can tell that this is an early attempt at reggae because it definitely feels amateurish. The chord progressions feel very doo wop-y and 50s, with lots of light arpeggios and bouncing little beats. In fact, a few of these sound like they were just reggae-tised versions of 50s tracks. The guys themselves aren’t very good singers - but that’s part of this album’s charm. The songs as a result, feel very heartfelt and honest. You can tell these guys are singing their hearts out and putting a lot of passion into the music. “Train to Skaville” and “Come on Now” are definitely some of the nicest little reggae songs I’ve heard.

Some of the slower, old school doo wop cuts are a bit bland but honestly, this is way better than it should be.

3/5
>>
glanced at blackout - dreamworld, listened to like half of it and i really enjoyed it, as of right now feeling a 4/5. going to legit listen to it in a few days

>>71230963
na i enjoy non nerd music

just not that shit
>>
bomp
>>
y'all cuckin'????????
>>
>>71233079
hell yea brother
>>
File: February 2017.jpg (2MB, 3224x1820px) Image search: [Google]
February 2017.jpg
2MB, 3224x1820px
ok shitty short review bump time let's gooooooooo

Patsy Gallant - Patsy!
>disco, funk, soul
Delightful, to say the least. Poppy disco/funk from Canada. "O Michel", "It'll All Come Around" are both particular highlights. Slow groovers all around, and good chunes but also fairly inconsistent.
4/5

Bwana - Bwana
>afro-latin soul
Afro-Soul from Nicaragua. The first track's a tight mover that lasts about 8 minutes, but I wish it were much longer. The percussion on this reminds me a lot of Stone Alliance's, so they're doing something right. The psych-organ is sometimes a little much on the slower tracks, but I keep coming back to them. Incredibly good.
4/5

Hector Rivera and the Latin Renaissance - Hecto-Mania
>Latin Soul
The soul on this is truly unhinged. "Be On the Look-Out" is a particularly good track, but the rest of the album lacks in comparison. A good outing, a romp.
4/5

Sabu Martínez - Afro Temple
>afro-latin soul
I love the percussion on this, and how Sabu can construct a beautiful song with just percussion and sax. The theme of black power haunts the record in the most beautiful way. Everything about the record is beautiful. It's up there with the greats, but I'm not ready to give it a 5/5. Not yet.
4.5/5
>>
>>71233079
nah man, that aint me
>>
>>71233079
yeah i am
>>
Good morning /daily/!

Anyone else excited about the new Jamiroquai album?
>>
File: jazz boy.png (1MB, 1096x832px) Image search: [Google]
jazz boy.png
1MB, 1096x832px
good morning daily i'll try to listen to oversteps today

>>71235162
if you tell me what a jamiroquai is then maybe i'll get excited about it
>>
>>71235409
>if you tell me what a jamiroquai is then maybe i'll get excited about it
dude
https://youtu.be/4JkIs37a2JE
>>
>>71235162
[spoiler]Jamiroquai was one of the bands that got me into music so yeah I'm excited[/spoiler]

>>71235409
>if you tell me what a jamiroquai is then maybe i'll get excited about it
>he doesn't know the silly hat-est fedorafunk band this this side of the milky way

Sad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkIs37a2JE
>>
File: nice things.jpg (95KB, 719x481px) Image search: [Google]
nice things.jpg
95KB, 719x481px
>>71235444
>>71235454
I'm excited
>>
>>71235444
>>71235454
>both post virtual insanity

Gotta stop for a moment to appreciate that it was one of the greatest pop singles of the 90s.
>>
File: 6382736.jpg (532KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
6382736.jpg
532KB, 1500x1500px
just one more month......

I hope these guys can prove me wrong and don't make me pan them again
>>
>>71235484
>I hope these guys can prove me wrong and don't make me pan them again
Ha.

Funny.

They are SO GOOD live though still. If you ever get a chance to see them, do it.
>>
>>71235478
it really was.
>>
>>71235493
sure, the singles that came out and that unreleased track they gave to people subscribed to the email list were shit, but there's still hope, r-right? :'(

i live in a small island so i dont think the residents would ever come and i have 0 plans to fly somewhere to see them
>>
>>71235524
>there's still hope, r-right?
Ha.

Funny.

> i dont think the residents would ever come
Who knows they are avant maybe they will do a special surprise show!
>>
>>71230399
>Magazine - Real Life
listen to secondhand daylight too if you haven't!
>>
>Amnesia Scanner - ASS Truth
oh yeah, i remember these guys, jimmy jazz played angels rig hook to me one time. i did kinda mute it after a minute to go listen to something else though so i dont remember anything haha

anyway yeah it's great, 15 minutes of crazy, harsh electronic that mixes tons of different music styles into it. it's one of those albums that sounds just like their cover art. i'm not good at reviewing haha but most of you have already heard it so w/e

>>71235717
that bread is kinda right....
>>
>>71229977
bruh >>71223694
>>
>>71235762
is that u in the background
>>
>>71233361

my dude do you have a dl for it's art dad
>>
>>71237050
thats me in the corner
>>
>>71237361
r u da boy in da corner
>>
>>71237421
haha dat long boi
>>
>>71235162
when is It coming out?
>>
>They Spent Their Wild Youthful Days in the Glittering World of the Salons
that such a nice title
horrendous music on the other hand
>>
>>71237050
No thats Yanka dyagileva [dunno how to write last name]>>71237052
>>
File: TvkO395.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TvkO395.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>71238402
>horrendous music on the other hand
delete this
>>
>>71235762
Dat Moomin is great haha
>>
>>71238411
does she post on daily too
>>
don't you dare bumping this
>>
>>71240003
okay :(
>>
>>71240026
i kil u
>>
>Really shitty William Basinski album is number 3 for 2017
fucking hell

Speaking of which what's everyone's AOTYSF? Mine's probably Jens Lekman.
>>
>>71235484
god i hope this is good
>>
>>71240183
bedwetter
>>
>>71240183
seeing you all shit on Basinski makes me want to listen to him and give him a 4.5/5.0
also Cliche Morph - Escape From Himself
>>
>>71237052
yeet

The Clientele - It's Art, Dad [2005, FLAC]
>folk rock, soft rock

https://i.slacktunes.tech/The-Clientele-It-s-Art-Dad/
>>
File: haha wow.png (443KB, 610x392px) Image search: [Google]
haha wow.png
443KB, 610x392px
>>71240183
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/bryant-myers-bad-bunny/pa-ti/

if we're only talking albums, then Steamroom 31

>>71240308
>21st century Residents
>good
>>
File: Cover.jpg (159KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
159KB, 800x800px
>>71240183
this is growing on me song per song desu

idk if there's anything out i wanna hear yet
>>
File: a0892463693_0.jpg (978KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
a0892463693_0.jpg
978KB, 1400x1400px
>>71240183
Probably this
>>
>>71240889
cool image did you draw it
>>
File: soup pizza.jpg (253KB, 1050x1473px) Image search: [Google]
soup pizza.jpg
253KB, 1050x1473px
>>71241104
nope it's a web comic
>>
>>71241134
cool do you have a blog i can follow or something id like to read your webcomic
>>
>>71241179
www.daily.com/yamirscomic
>>
File: this is nice.jpg (220KB, 1583x888px) Image search: [Google]
this is nice.jpg
220KB, 1583x888px
>>71241179
i dont make them

https://www.vice.com/en_us/topic/catboy
>>
>>71241202
thanks benji ill read them ever day

>>71241193
that link doesnt work for me do i have to download a darkweb for it
>>
>>71241193
i've always wanted to draw a comic that was just stupid shit that happens in my everyday life but i have like -10 art skills

>>71241220
im not benji but that's another really lame /daily/ trip so i can see why you mixed us up
>>
>>71241281
is he the one who does the art for your comic
>>
>>71241281
>but i have like -10 art skills
The trick is to pretend the bad art skills are an avantgarde creative choice, like most of the music you listen to.
>>
>>71241489
zing!
>>
>>71235717
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out!

>>71237361
That's me in the spotlight

>>71240183
Either the Bedwetter or Priests album so far
>>
>>71241134
>>71241202
is this bojack horseman
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz7-lAQCgEk
>mfw the thing nasa announced actually changed my sign from pisces to aquarius
:0
>>71240183
Baby Zionov - The Mango Data
>>
>>71242106
>>71242106
>>71242106

New Thread Here
>>
>>71242104
what does it mean?
>>
>>71242195
that boy needs therapy
>>
File: hi_pigger.jpg (157KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
hi_pigger.jpg
157KB, 960x960px
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 90

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.