[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a post mostly for the original what.cd users.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

File: uy.png (79KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
uy.png
79KB, 1920x1200px
Over the past couple months a lot of our favorite websites for obtaining music have been shut down. Around 11 months ago I had the idea of starting another alternative private platform completely based around the general perspective that what.cd had offered us for numerous years.

The idea only really came back to life in November of 2016 when the website what.cd shut down. Why I mention this? During the months before November 2016 I had previously created a couple automated scripts which would gather all of the information that what.cd offered publicly, and store that information into a database. This process went every 1 and a half minute for almost 6 months.

This means that all the data which was offered publicly on what.cd in terms of actual projects, songs, albums, you name it I have it stored in an alternative database. The only issue with this project is that I don't have user data or any of that stored so alternatively there would be no means of privately obtaining all of the users which used what.cd for as long as they did.

I have completely replicated every element that what.cd had offered in terms of design and functionality. I'm just wondering /mu/ would this be worth releasing?

Please if you're going to reply (maybe nobody will who knows) provide me with a valid reason for WHY or WHY NOT, instead of just a dulled down response.

With websites like this being gone it really hurts the freedom feeling we have left on the internet, it feels like everything we do is constantly being restricted.
>>
>>70388391
you know that PTH and APL exist?
>>
>>70388414
They don't provide me really with the same feel.

I get very very sus vibes when I view PTH, but maybe that's just me.
>>
>>70388542
>the same feel
That's vague and a bit bullshit. I'm on Apl and it has every major feature that w.cd had.

You'd be better off working with Apl and sharing this information with them, rather than starting your own tracker with it's own community. What would be the point other than vanity?
>>
>>70388657
>What would be the point other than vanity?
Multiple trackers are exactly what is needed for a stable sharing platform. What was lost at a flick of a switch, redundancy is not vanity.

Not sure what a What database would do to help except show just how much is still missing. That sounds more dispiriting than helpful.
>>
>>70388777
Redundancy comes down to having the software readily available and making improvements where necessary. Within a month of What going down there's already well established alternatives. Heck, notWhat is doing fine too, albeit a lot smaller they seem like they're on the right track too.

>Multiple trackers are exactly what is needed for a stable sharing platform
There is already redundancy, with mainly people that have some clue on how to run this stuff. Adding more of the same, mostly just causes fragmentation. Having the metadata available is cool, but there's other websites who already did the same thing there

I highly recommend you see if you can contribute to those existing projects, rather than starting your own. Don't forget that the main thing the websites are used for is sharing music. NotWhat might be making some nicer changes than the other trackers, but they don't have enough active users actually uploading things, meaning that APL / PTH are just better websites to actually use when you're looking for something.
>>
>>70388911

I have a lot of connections already within the music and what.cd community as well. I've already reached out to APH and they've denied my help all around.

I've not really reached out to any other already established network, but with the information I already have I am certain that even if none of these websites accept my help, that I could at least start an alternative to the original what.cd.

>>70388777
> Multiple trackers are exactly what is needed for a stable sharing platform.

I think this comment really sums up everything, I've been involved in the blogging aspect of downloading music for many years now, this is a big step in a completely different direction but I understand how these things work and understand how to keep myself safe in some ways.

Regardless, if I decide not to start another platform completely and nobody accepts this help. I may just make the project completely open source. Just because it may be the step that someone else seeks in terms of ensuring something like this doesn't happen again.
>>
>>70388911
>Don't forget that the main thing the websites are used for is sharing music. NotWhat might be making some nicer changes than the other trackers, but they don't have enough active users actually uploading things, meaning that APL / PTH are just better websites to actually use when you're looking for something.

This comment is exactly why I think me teaming with someone smaller would be a better solution, if I already have every file stored in a database that was EVER provided on what.cd the only thing stopping notwhat would be lack of users. Which would generally come automatically with a bulk of content.
>>
>>70389185
In that case contact notwhat. They seem to have the clearest direction that doesn't come down to copying w.cd one on one.

Providing an open-source toolset for users to make uploading on notwhat could be good too. Right now they do have the discogs autofill which is quite nice, but something to properly tag / standardize files before uploading and creating torrents could be good too.

Little heads up that notwhat 'only' has 15k torrents right now, where APL has 579k
>>
>>70389276

>Little heads up that notwhat 'only' has 15k torrents right now, where APL has 579k

The database I have, currently has around 1.2 million torrents (and I believe this is missing a very large portion of the REALLY early what.cd torrents).

Just a little more then 15,000 torrents (Scarcasm), can only imagine the success that not what would already have if they took the approach I did previous months back and prepared for something like this happening.

With everything good, it comes to an end. You can sit back and wait for that to happen or prepare for chaos.

>Providing an open-source toolset for users to make uploading on notwhat could be good too.

The only issue with releasing this open-sourced would of course be the kind of attention it would bring. With something of this nature, it could legit go anyway.

Cheers for keeping me open minded, I'll begin reaching out to notwhat as soon as possible.
>>
>>70389442
>>>/g/58514556
?
>>
bump this is important
>>
Just upload it you faggot, of course we want it as a way to rebuild WCD on PTH
>>
>>70390063
>just upload 500tb, you faggot
yes very plausible. come back in 5 years when he's halfway through it
>>
>>70390118
It's only 2 GB what matters, but nevermind, he already uploaded it to PTH.
>>
private trackers 4 music are stupid
i can get everytjomh on soulseek already fuck off
>>
Mr. Gray is that you?

also is Apollo worth finding my What invite email to join or should i just hop on the slsk train
>>
what the hell is notwhat and can I get on as a former What user
>>
>>70390189
>i can get everytjomh on soulseek already fuck off
lolno
>>
>>70390213
PTH>Apollo>slsk
http://interview.passtheheadphones.me/
>>70390236
notwhat.cd but see above because NW has little to no content atm
>>
>>70390189
Yes, with unreliable downloads and wildly varying speeds, and zero quality assurance.

You're either naive or have basic as fuck taste if you think everything is on slsk.
>>
>>70390289
>interview
ill just use apollo or slsk
>>
Anyone remember mutracker? What ever happened to that?
>>
>>70390297
ive found shit on slsk that wasnt even requested on what

if you listen to actual underground music, private trackers are shit
>>
>>70390118
This gave me a laugh.

>>70389705

It's important to note that both of these threads have been archived and forwarded to respectable parties, I am of course not alone in this operation I have a few buddies who've been working on it with me from the start.

Generally speaking we've reached out to PTH as discussed previously for you lazy fucks you can go here

>>70389129
> I've already reached out to APH and they've denied my help all around.

I can ensure you that the claims made by a users or a staff member (unfamiliar who made the original thread) saying they have acquired this amount of data is not from my camp. Alternatively we've talked with numerous people from numerous communities which could have spread this information. As it stands we're working closely with a couple companies but unsure why they would feel the need to leak such information as if they've actually received the data.

>notwhat.cd but see above because NW has little to no content atm

Since originally creating this thread I've gotten in contact with notwhat, this issue may be resolved soon.

>>70390172
You're a fucking idiot.

No further information regarding this matter will be disclosed.
>>
>>70390357
Yeah, because the request system doesn't exist.
>>
>>70390357
But did you find it in FLAC or at least in a higher bitrate than 128k and inundated with pops and clicks?
>>
>>70390314
apollo also has an interview
>>
>>70390349
shut down a year or two ago because it sucked ass
>>70390314
atm apollo is harder to get in to than pth (even though apollo is worse (its because pth has a good interview system))
>>
>>70390426
yes all the time
>>
>>70390592
apollo has an interview irc though...
>>
>>70390627
And I specified that PTH has a /good/ one
Apollo's interview system is ridiculous. They either 1) make the site completely open-register for 5 minutes and announce it in the interview channel so they can all sign up without taking an interview, or 2) pick ~5 users per day to quiz
>>
>>70390669
oh man....thats awful...
>>
>>70390592
yes but they take ppl with proof of What membership, do they not?
>>
>>70390362
>You're a fucking idiot.
>No further information regarding this matter will be disclosed.
How come?
>>
>>70390882
Both APL/PTH require interviews now. WCD proof means nothing on those sites
NotWhat is accepting WCD proof though
>>
>>70390882
>>70391025
I got into APL with WCD membership proof thought
>>
>>70391059
And you could have done the same with PTH until yesterday when they started interviewing
Guess what, membership criteria changes with time
>>
>>70388391

>https://passtheheadphones.me/forums.php?action=viewthread&threadid=8236

You this guy? Or have anything unique to offer?
>>
No invites to PTH?

Can any of y'all direct me where to interview, it seems interview.passtheheadphones.me is down.
>>
>>70391289
>it seems interview.passtheheadphones.me is down.
it's not. no one is going to give you an invite, go interview. I even make my friends interview because everything on the interview is absolutely essential.
>>
File: down.png (14KB, 481x289px) Image search: [Google]
down.png
14KB, 481x289px
>>70391336
Is that an IRC channel?
>>
>>70391418
try https:// maybe? it works for me
>>
>>70391418
nvm, secure website. >_>;
>>
File: 1468973788049.png (54KB, 625x924px) Image search: [Google]
1468973788049.png
54KB, 625x924px
>>70391289
>>70391336
Works fine for me but isup.me is reporting it's down
So you both lose
The site is a striahgt up carbon copy of WCD's old interview prep site. There are mirrors out there you can google.
>>
OP give me some contact info
>>
File: 1463039932850.jpg (59KB, 560x564px) Image search: [Google]
1463039932850.jpg
59KB, 560x564px
>>70391131
>And you could have done the same with PTH until yesterday when they started interviewing
shit
why didn't I have a tab open on /ptg/..
>>
>APL
Link? Can't Google it apparently.
>>
>>70393299
If you really have to ask, then you don't deserve to know.
>>
>>70393326
Sorry, haven't been keeping up with the post-what.cd debacle. I just gave up all hope and started using /mu/ archives for mega links.
>>
>>70393326
Yeah I did slightly more digging and found it. Thanks.
>>
>>70393343
>using /mu/ archives
>for mega links
Don't bother with either APL or PTH. You won't last long.
>>
>>70393398
I think I'll be fine, hon.
>>
>>70393343
>Have a question?
FAQ http://pastebin.com/LQxkS1mU (embed)
WIKI https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Private_trackers
MORE REFERENCE https://gitla.in/ptgGuide/ptgGuide/tree/master
IRC #ptg irc.rizon.net 6697/9999 SSL only

This is pretty good, from >>>/g/ptg
>>
>>70393491
Thanks anon. 'Preciate ya.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.