[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Musical guilty pleasures?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: pepetbull3.png (355KB, 800x597px) Image search: [Google]
pepetbull3.png
355KB, 800x597px
What are some groups or artists that you genuinely enjoy but will never admit to, not even admit it to yourself?

Pic related, I love everything of his before he went mainstream and full pop in the 2010s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st4Iu4maqJA

Also, Brokencyde's debut album. It's like the perfect time capsule of "alternative" music of the myspace era.
>>
>>68325771
LMFAO
>>
>>68325771
>guilty pleasure
Honestly, I don't quite understand why anyone would ever admit to having a "guilty pleasure" when it comes to music.
When someone calls something a "guilty pleasure," they're saying much more than just "I like it but it's bad". In reality, they are putting themselves into one of two camps; neither of which are desirable to be in.

>1. The "ironic rockist" - this camp purports to be appreciating music on an intellectual or "deep" level, but shows enjoyment for something does doesn't live up to their poorly contrived notions of artistic evauluation.
>in order to justify this behavior and quell their cognitive dissonance, the rockist will choose to label the piece a "guilty pleasure" and avoid amending their evaluation process to better reflect their actual tastes.

>2. The "real" [insert genre] fan- this camp purports to be appreciating music on a "genuine" or "personal" level, but will prove otherwise through their actions. Much like the ironic rockist, they will achieve a state of cognitive dissonance when they find that they enjoy something not fitting in with the image they desire to project. They settle the dissonance through the justification of it being a "guilty pleasure" while assessing "well everyone has some."
>Oftentimes called such things as "hipsters" or "poseurs," these people are frequently concerned more with the image they gain in the eyes of others rather than the pleasure they derive from the music itself- that is to say, their enjoyment of the art stems almost purely from something outside themself, the art itself, and their sphere of control.
>>
>>68325771
Subscribing to guilty pleasures kills any chance of thought about the medium one is consuming because they're agreeing to pre-made ideas which are not rooted in the self. While a mature music listener will decide what they think about music from within, the rockist is falling to pre-made conceptions which say that something is intrinsically better without actually making any kind of assessment themselves. As such, doing so makes a person an empty vessel for the perceived ideas and opinions of others instead of a source of fresh and stimulating genuine viewpoints.
If someone has opinions that are not their own, why should you respect them over the true source of their opinions? Musically immature behaviors such as those stated above are not accepted by the mature members of /mu/, and never will be.

TL;DR - If you have guilty pleasures, you are a plebeian who should go back to where this behavior is acceptable- namely Reddit.
>>
>>68325854
I unironically love the songs from South Park
>>
>>68325828
Are you having a laugh, or do you mean that one-hit-wonder meme group from the late 2000s?
>>
>>68325949
Matt Stone and Trey Parker are deceptively gifted songwriters, actually.
>>
>>68325771
I wish I was a fertile woman so I could have prime Pitbull impregnate me.
>>
>>68326395
Typical /guilty pleasures/ poster.
>>
>>68325974
The latter.
>>
>>68325834
>>68325854
>>68325949
>>68325989
>>68326407
Fuck off
>>
>>68326441
Stop participating in terrible threads.
>>
>>68325989
>deceptively

Hello I'm retarded because I'm not aware that Matt Stone and Trey Parker were writing songs for bands and musicals long before South park was ever created.
>>
>>68326672
>Matt Stone and Trey Parker were writing songs for bands and musicals long before South park was ever created.
This is true and also irrelevant.

They are best known as the writers of a comedy show. 99/100 people you ask are going to know them from that (if at all). This is why their songwriting talents are deceptively high- it is unexpected to most people.

Also, literally (and I do mean literally) nobody cares.
>>
>>68326788
So then you're too young to have seen the South Park movie and also Team America, which are basically just glorified musicals, as well as Chef Aid: The South Park Album or even The Book of Mormon.
>>
>>68326918
>So then you're too young to have seen the South Park movie
Non sequitur.

Remember: most people know them as the writers of a _comedy show_. This shouldn't be so difficult.
>>
>>68325771
>>
>>68326978
>most people

Why are you bringing "most people" up?

You're the one who said that their song-writing abilities were "deceptive" - they've been writing songs for decades. It's not deceptive at all when they produce musical numbers all the time.
>>
>>68327083
>Why are you bringing "most people" up?
Because that was my original premise, child.

de·cep·tive·ly
In a way or to an extent that gives a misleading impression.

They are most well known as the writers of a comedy show, which gives the misleading impression that they have a talent for comedy above something else, e.g. music.

You think that you have caught me in some sort of error. This belief is mistaken.

You may concede at any time.
>>
>>68325834
>>68325854
>>68325949
>>68325989
>>68326407
>>68326485
>>68326672
>>68326788
>>68326978
you do understand your tripfagging right?
>>
>>68327135
most well known as the writers of a comedy show and mainstream movies with extravagant musical numbers, friend.

Stop trying to defend your ignorance with an appeal to the masses. We all learn something new everyday.
>>
>>68327203
It's a name field, you fucking dipshit.

>>68327203
>and mainstream movies with extravagant musical numbers, friend.
This is secondary, AKA not what they are most well-known for. Again, you may concede at any time.

>Stop trying to defend your ignorance
I was already aware of all of the information you have posted.

>an appeal to the masses
This does not mean what you think it means.
>>
>>68327263
How is that any better than tripfagging? You're still an attention whore.
>>
>>68327263

>>68325949
>>68325989
>>68326672
>>68326788

your replying to your own replies as if your chatting with someone else

what is wrong with you?
>>
>>68327263
Was meant to quote >>68327214
I'm going to go now, feel free to lose again at any time.

>>68327347
>>>/b/
>>
>>68327368
retard
>>
LIL BOAT
>>
>>68327263
>This is secondary, AKA not what they are most well-known for. Again, you may concede at any time.

Right, no one knows that the South Park creators made a South Park movie that was the highest-grossing R-rated animated film of all time.

It's not even like the TV show itself is filled with songs.

Hell maybe next week you'll discover that Seth MacFarlane likes to sing!
>>
>>68327418
oh and that Team America movie? What an under-the-radar flop that was, it's not like people today are still quoting AMERICA FUCK YEAH
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.