[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fimfiction Thread - Now with 83% more Undead Parents

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 511
Thread images: 101

File: back in the day.jpg (3MB, 3000x1729px) Image search: [Google]
back in the day.jpg
3MB, 3000x1729px
ITT: What the hell is a palaver?, furries gain another foothold, an Apple by any other name is still a Pear, enslave all of ponykind, Twilight the /lit/erary critic, AiE was a mistake, irksome writing habits, and Voiceguy becomes slightly more horsefamous.

Tired of writers who delete their stories in a fit of self-righteous rage? Don't want to deal with fanfiction drama to find something worth reading? Well, we've compiled the best of the worst in order to bring you our absolute average!

>FiMFiction Starter Kit (recommended fics):
Winners:
http://i.imgur.com/vuTA7EN.png
List of nominees by category:
http://mlp-fanfics.herokuapp.com/

>How do I write fanfiction?
Ezn’s guide - https://eznguide.neocities.org/
Politics and the English Language - https://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/politics/english/e_polit/
Vhatug's tips for anatomically correct clop - https://pastebin.com/g4VpEg4f
Setting a story in motion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufO8LbwTdu0 [Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed]

>Can you pre-read my story?
Post it on Google Docs with inline comments enabled and give us a link. Someone might possibly take a look at it eventually.

>Reviews and riffs:
https://pastebin.com/u/notkickass222urmom

>Voiceguy's readings:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt68MpmvEketmqOdHncHI2w

Old Thread
>>29504995
>>
futaloo get of the ancients
>>
File: ASTRONOMY.gif (398KB, 245x271px) Image search: [Google]
ASTRONOMY.gif
398KB, 245x271px
It's time to learn about astronomy
>>
>>29556586
>furries gain another foothold
...Did you confuse last thread with the one before it?
>>29445934
>>
>>29556586
[Embed][embed][embed][embed][embed
>>
>>29556652
Eh, a little. I mostly just wanted to throw that in.
>>
>>29554308
>comic book sound effects (*WHAM* *POW* *THUD*)
>obscure colors when obvious ones work just as well (the citron-maned mare stared in horror at the carmine drops that fell from the window)
>white void scenes (dialogue with little to no description/narration to tell you what's physically going on)

>>29555741
I usually don't get too autistic when it comes to pony linguistics because it's a never ending rabbit hole since most English words (titanic, okay, Tuesday, etc.) have been influenced by historical context that could never be repeated in Equestria.

"Titanic" rooting from the Greek myth, "okay" originally being an east coast slang word in the 1830s, and "Tuesday" coming from an ancient Germanic sky god.

>>29555801
>the previous gens
You're thinking of Rainbow "Always Dresses in Style" Dash.
>>
>wonders if some degenerate ever wrote G1-3 clop way back when
>>
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/35763/oh-to-be-old-again
>still no update
This fanfic is literally the only reason I'm still in the fandom. This is painful.
>>
>>29557525
>This fanfic is literally the only reason I'm still in the fandom.
congratulations, anon. theres nothing holding you to this shit anymore. you're free, go join society
>>
>>29556659
That's beautiful. I'll be sad if it doesn't carry over to the next thread.
>>
File: What are you reading.png (578KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
What are you reading.png
578KB, 1280x720px
Are you reading any interesting story, Anon?
>>
>>29558082
An autobiography.
>>
>>29558082
Not sure about "interesting" but I'm still following Collegepone
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/317740/silver-glows-journal
They're about to celebrate Christmas so the story should be over within two weeks thank god
Currently looks like the finished story will come in just shy of a million words.
>>
>>29558090
who's?
>>
>>29558126
>a million slice-of-life words
Is there a more pointless waste of time?
>>
>>29558132
The man who played a big part in the experimental plane area, and without whom we likely wouldn't have space suits, the X-15 or the SR-71.
>>
>>29558153
Well that told me exactly nothing. Thanks for the info, anon
>>
>>29558136
Two point three million slice-of-life words?
>>
Have any of you lads read Princess Applejack?
In its entirety? Because, for the life of me, I can't help but skip through every single post that isn't an argument about the meta.
>>
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/297831/umbrum-ad-infinitum

One one hand:
>Scorpan
>Umbrum

On the other hand:
>Shitty cover art
>Nonsensical title
>Description tells half the story
>Why did Scorpan wait 1000 years to try to break Tirek out?
>Since when is Sombra the lone surviving Umbrum, and why is that significant?
>"he is able ressurect"
>"thats"
>"try stop"
>"isnt"
>"invovled"
>Can't decide whether Sombra is an Umbrum, an "Umbrum pony" or a unicorn
>Author bio: "A Pegasister with an autistic mind, and a love of ponies! I am the banana butterfly!"

I guess it's a pass.
>>
>>29558384
...You're trying to read every iteration of an ongoing general from the beginning? Why? I hope you at least ran a word count first so you knew what you were getting into.
>>
>>29558467
Followup: Sometimes I wish there were a place I could anonymously record feedback on the descriptions and only the descriptions of stories. No one likes being ignored, and presumably authors want to know why they're being ignored if they are; yet it's perceived as rude to drop into the comments of a story just to say you won't read it, even if you say why. They'd rather have a full review of their story, but nobody has time to give detailed reviews of every story they look at the description of.

On the other hand, maybe that would just encourage authors of bad stories to polish up their descriptions and make it harder for readers to spot them.
>>
>>29557646
But what if he comes back?
>>
>>29558755
The guy writing Amongst the Ruins updated after three years.
Check back in three years.
>>
>>29558755
he never left, he just pulled a skirts and hit a hard spot that he couldnt write himself out of and gave up.

you should too
>>
>>29558755
Turn on email notifications?
>>
>>29558769
It's a Comedy/SoL, what hard spot could you write yourself into?
Or did it pull a 'Chase' and became a warfic halfway through?
>>
I managed to finish another report on my weird letters-and-reports-only project.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LvqHs0RSvHwTn43QyKAmCKuFaynMw6P_jEInjbOJnak/edit?usp=sharing

This is an interview with Moon Dancer, and the last interview I'll have in the story. Everything else will be traditional reports or letters.

Also, I'm taking a small break from this so I can finish another chapter of Blankness. I want to update that before February is over.
>>
>>29558082
I'm trying to stay off horse words to focus on a course I'm taking. (No, I shouldn't be in this thread either.) I have a Tracking list, but the stories on it haven't updated in a while; and I have a Read It Sooner list, but I'm not currently reading anything on it.
>>
>>29558766
>>29558769
>>29558867
I've been of the ride since the s3 finale. I guess I'll truly be dead inside if you're telling me that it's never going to update.
>>
>>29558868
the coverart and avatar is the same, no? theres no telling what depths of depravity that thing reached

>>29558985
after this long its not impossible, just highly improbable, that it will ever update
>>
>>29558985
It's not that it's assured it won't update, but odds aren't in the story's favour. Just turnon email notifications and don't hold your breath.
>>
>>29558488
>Why?
I saw one of the more current threads and was fascinated by how it manages to be one of the fastest moving threads (considering how long it's been around), the collaborative storytelling, and how it went against the usual 'Anon must be in every story' thing greentexts fall into around /mlp/.
I was also curious about how much it must have changed over the years, so I hopped over to the first desu link.

Turns out it didn't change all that much.
Didn't run a word count, but I'm guessing all the stories add up to over a million horse words.

As for reading every thread:
Eh, not really.
The formatting and way characters are written really killed it for me. When you've got so many characters in a description-less, dialogue-only post that you're using brackets and braces, you might as well go for a script format. Especially when said characters speak in ways that are. more or less, indistinguishable from each other.

I probably could have gotten used to the formatting if the characters and writing weren't so 'ehhh'. Guess that's what happens when you drag a joke out and try to make it serious.

So I mostly skimmed each thread past 10 or so, usually by ctrl+f to find the one character I'm somewhat interested in. The meta drama was pretty good, though.
>>
>>29558384
I've been there since thread 15 and read every single story, NC or otherwise. It's been a hell of a ride and I think the recent time skip opened up a lot of interesting possibilities.

Also pretty hyped to see how the current conflict in Hoofington plays out.
>>
>>29559264
At least there's the Appletheosis series, I guess. (Though I haven't read it myself.)
>>
>>29559264
I do feel that things stagnated a bit until thread 100, with the CE crew getting a ton of character development but everyone else left as one-off gags who didn't really develop much. After the Apple of Truth arc things got a lot better, but with such a massive cast sometimes characters fall through the cracks (e.g. Sunset).

Also, I did a Fermi estimation and came up with 3-5 million words total.
>>
File: WHY.png (66KB, 344x356px) Image search: [Google]
WHY.png
66KB, 344x356px
>Go back to writing a story you abandoned
>Can't even remember what the last thing you wrote was
>>
File: C5YTDi-UYAE8aoL.jpg (101KB, 670x997px) Image search: [Google]
C5YTDi-UYAE8aoL.jpg
101KB, 670x997px
Discuss.
>>
File: 1457875318039.png (1014KB, 674x1580px) Image search: [Google]
1457875318039.png
1014KB, 674x1580px
>>29561030
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 664x2840px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 664x2840px
>>29561065
>>
Is it shitposting hour already?
>>
>>29561136
Looks like it.
>>
That Auralphonic podcast with voiceguy is up

http://www.auralphonic.podfic.com/
>>
>>29561586
Started listening. That host at the very beginning sounds millenial as fuck.
>>
So y'all niggas writing anything?
>>
I'm sure this has been asked before, but do ponies wear horseshoes?

I mean, I know we never see them wearing any in the show, but they do in real life. How should or would it work in fics?
>>
>>29564029
Well, they wear regular shoes sometimes. You can probably get away with having the horseshoes be like sandals or slip-ons.
>>
>>29564029
caramel and troubleshoes probably wouldnt have trampstamps if they didnt exist

of course microhorses dont appear to have hooves, so theres that too
>>
>>29564216
Sometimes hoof polish exists and their footsteps clack, though.
>>
>>29564852
*hoofsteps; sorry.
>>
Countering sage with bump
>>
>>29556635
Someone should write an Astronomical Astronomer's Almanac.

Or just any book in the style of something that would belong in-universe, in the show. I would totally read that.
>>
>>29564939
I have an Equestrian Solar System in my head that I might put down on paper, though I'll have to crack open matlab to simulate if all the orbits are proper and stable.
Though technically speaking, it should be naturally unstable to give credit to the whole "raising the sun" thing.
>>
>>29564971
>it should be naturally unstable to give credit to the whole "raising the sun" thing.
The whole sun & moon thing is kind of unexplainable without magic anyways.
Discord happily shoves the sun down, then makes the moon rise from the same spot, all the while the other stars are fixed in the background (meaning the planer isn't rotating). It would take some pretty funky orbital mechanics for that trick to be in any way coherent.

At this point you might as well go back to ancient astronomy with Celestial spheres and whatnot. Maybe the sun is just a big light fixture on a glass sphere a couple dozen kilometers above! And the moon is a literal prison hanging not far from there, on its little rotating glass wheel.
>>
Apologies if this is not the appropriate thread, but I'm looking for a fanfic I read half a decade ago and wonder if anyone here would know its name and whether or not it still has survived somehow.

It's probably back from 2011 or earlier, and was posted as a Google Doc. It was about Twilight Sparkle discovering a way to access an inner world after speaking to her friends on a rainy day. In her inner world, she encounters a thinly veiled Dr. Who and a being called Veritas, and the two try to tempt her in belief versus knowledge. Twilight picks the latter, the magic of feelgood leaves Equestria and there's snippets of war and mania (Fluttershy can't communicate with her animals anymore, Applejack becomes a ruthless capitalist, Dash becomes a fighter pilot, it's written better than I make it sound). My search skills fail me, perhaps someone here has an idea of the title/link?
>>
File: Checkmate, scientists!.png (318KB, 1102x621px) Image search: [Google]
Checkmate, scientists!.png
318KB, 1102x621px
>>29565018
On that note, try to explain how picrelated could possibly make any sense. I dare you.

inb4, what's the fun in making sense
>>
>>29565036
It's all an illusion, just like the sun in Dark Souls.
>>
File: You Know.png (393KB, 3409x5083px) Image search: [Google]
You Know.png
393KB, 3409x5083px
>>29565036
Celestia doesn't raise the sun, she move whole the planet. She and Luna pump energy throught magic flow into the planet core.
>>
>>29565067
Impossible, because when the sun/moon are moved, the other stars in the sky don't move!
>>
File: 1142395.png (981KB, 1386x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1142395.png
981KB, 1386x2000px
>>29565070
It is right. Celestia & Luna don't move the stars, only the planet. Or maybe I don't understand the connection that you did.
>>
File: discordIsInterested.jpg (57KB, 1363x736px) Image search: [Google]
discordIsInterested.jpg
57KB, 1363x736px
>>29565112
I though you meant rotating the planet, because moving it is even more impossible!
The g-forces involved would outright crush anything on the planet into the finest quality mush.
>>
>>29565112
You're one hell of a retard, aren't you?
>>
>>29565067
Fucking finally someone with the same idea as me. I've been saying this for years
>>
>>29565067
That still doesn't explain >>29565036
If only the planet moved, then you can't have the sun go down and the moon come up from the same place.
(Unless the sun IS the moon, which makes even less sense).
>>
File: R Sculptoris Carbon Star.jpg (2MB, 3600x2250px) Image search: [Google]
R Sculptoris Carbon Star.jpg
2MB, 3600x2250px
Theory time.
Let us assume that Celestia controls the Sun and Equestria and Luna controls everything beyond the solar system. No one has reign over other planets in the solar system.

Stage enter: A rogue ejected gas giant on a highly eccentric orbit passing close to Equus.
Equus was on a fairly circular, ordinary path around its star until a super-jupiter got captured by said star on an unstable orbit. This happened within the last several thousand years, therefore the orbit didn't have a chance to circularize or get ejected again.
A dwarf star would give more credibility to this, since each planet could have a very small orbit and therefore a very short year while still being in the habitable zone, as evidenced by the supposed TRAPPIST-1 discoveries. They would have to adjust the orbit every day.
Were it not for the magic influence, the rogue planet's gravitational pull would have either pulled Equus into itself, or booted it out of the system entirely. The ponies couldn't move the planet itself, as it was a body of immense mass, millions of kilometers away and totally foreign to both them and the system, but they could move their own planet, and affect their own star.
Magic is inherently bound to the star and the planet - Equestria, because magic naturally coalesces around life, and the star, because it is an enormous source of energy, the kind required for plenty of powerful spells. So the unicorns kept the both the orbit and the entire solar system stable through the influence of Equus and their star, until they passed on their knowledge onto two ponies who would become the two diarchs.

Prophecies foretold of a pony who could forge spells that could solve this problem directly, dealing with the rogue planet once and for all instead of passive solutions like these. A third Celestial princess to conjoin the night and day.
>>
File: PEE EQUAL EMM VEE.png (345KB, 886x509px) Image search: [Google]
PEE EQUAL EMM VEE.png
345KB, 886x509px
>>29565181
>Theory time
>but they could move their own planet
>>
>>29565228
>can move the planet and the star relative to eachother
>LOL CONSERVATION OF MOMENTUM
And we're talking about fucking magic here, for fuck's sake. You can fucking TELEPORT. I'd stop caring about any laws of thermodynamics or newton's laws the second I saw that shit.
Not to mention, there have been many, many fucking instances of ponies using magic to move shit in ways that shouldn't work - and themselves.
And how else do you explain them moving the Sun, wiseguy? Smoke and mirrors aren't forged that big.
>>
>>29565252
It's some pretty basic shit right there tbqh, moving the planet you're standing on (without pushing on something else) is like saying you can fly by pulling on your bootstraps (instead of pushing something else down).
>>
>>29565257
Are you incapable of reading? Ponies already do that shit all the time for comedic purposes no less, the laws of physics do not pertain to Equestria.
>>
>>29565286
If this is what you consider impossible, you're basically saying swimming and propellers are against physics.
>>
>>29565286
Maybe our laws don't apply, but you can't pretend to do theory time and then ignore the glaring holes in your explanation.
Cartoon physics is pretty hard to explain, sure, but if you aren't actually trying to pull it off don't call that theory.

And by the way there's no problem with the image you posted, outside of the fact that whatever is in those balloons must have super low density.
>>
>>29565252
>Smoke and mirrors aren't forged that big.
Anon, you have to remember these are LITTLE ponies.
>>
>>29565308
Except conservation of momentum doesn't come into this at all, you faggot. Magic can be considered a propellant, especially since it's already demonstrably being used to move an entire fucking moon and an entire fucking star (or planet relative to star). Why, in all fuck, would you care about the most inconsequential part of the explanation, one which is already fucking demonstrated in the show itself? Why, in all that is under the Sun, would you complain about the very fact that the Moon and the Sun are being fucked with?

Because if you add in your shitty "conservation of momentum" and insist that magic cannot, in fact, be used to move the thing you're sitting on, (even though you can perfectly well move Equestria relative to the Sun without any issue whatsoever) then you are left with literally nothing. Smoke and mirrors. No one's moving any star or any moon, the Princesses are just projecting an illusion of the Sun onto the sky which, somehow, manages to bathe Equestria in multiple terrawatts of energy in the form of light to sustain life. And that's just fucking stupid, too.

There is no glaring hole, because if there were, every single possible theory you could ever come up with would be immediately wrong. Celestia bringing forth day would have only one explanation: "just don't think about it".
>>
>>29565375
They can move the sun and moon by using the principle of levers. Since they're far away, their lever's fulcrum can also be that far away and make moving anything much easier.
>>
File: douEvenRead.png (296KB, 625x350px) Image search: [Google]
douEvenRead.png
296KB, 625x350px
>>29565375
>Except conservation of momentum doesn't come into this at all, you faggot
But it absolutely does, you double nigger.

>Magic can be considered a propellant
There is no conceivable interpretation of this sentence that isn't complete utter bullshit. It's not even pseudo-sciency talk, it's devoid of any sense. You're Not Even Wrong™ to quote Mr. Pauli.

>Why, in all fuck, would you care [...] about the very fact that the Moon and the Sun are being fucked with?
Because you can't pretend to explain things and then get mad when someone points out your explanation doesn't work. Either get your shit together, or shut the fuck up.

>Because if you add in your shitty "conservation of momentum"
I know suspension of disbelief is a thing, but there's some lines you can't cross.
Momentum is your speed times how fat you are, that's not rocket science, and if you just ignore it I can guarantee you'll be contradicting yourselves in a dozen different ways.

>(even though you can perfectly well move Equestria relative to the Sun without any issue whatsoever) then you are left with literally nothing.
If you recognize that the obvious explanation is wrong, then you need to have some actual imagination to come up with something better.
Oh, I know, it's harder than just ignoring the glaring holes in your theory! That's why you don't call it a theory if you don't want to get called out on it.

>Smoke and mirrors. No one's moving any star or any moon, the Princesses are just [...] multiple terrawatts of energy in the form of light to sustain life. And that's just fucking stupid, too.
If it's not as obviously stupid as pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, then it's already an improvement.
It's not stupid if you can't prove it wrong.

If you write a story and you don't try to explain shit, then I'll be happy to enjoy the story for what it is.
If you try to go all fake science on people, don't be surprised your bad physics gets torn apart.
>>
I don't really see the point in trying to describe something non-scientific within the realm of science. If you're going to do that you need radical reinvention of several core ideas in canon. The show is written with a whole other set of axiom in mind than the set of axioms you need for a complete scientific interpretation.
I'd be much more interested in a theory that tries to work with the core ideas of the show, rather than against it.

But by all means, go ahead and do it if that's what you want to do. It may even end up good. I just find the whole concept flawed.
>>
The show was never really all that good about lore and making much sense. The first Hearth's Warming play comes to mind. Not to mention how they make their own weather while Everfree is just natural. In general, it's best to just work with the nonsense than try to go against it.

Also, shouldn't any super fast flyer be able to perform, if not a Rainboom, then a Sonic Boom? I imagine the reasons only Rainbow Dash can do it is because of her mane color and she's a main character.
>>
>>29566189
They all get contrails when they go fast even if they don't have rainbow's colors, so others could probably make a sonic rainboom, they just don't go fast enough.
In the real world we also have people who can do things no one else can, I don't see why it's surprising.
>>
File: Sword Art Online.webm (185KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Sword Art Online.webm
185KB, 640x360px
The good news: The Conversion Bureau is now canon.

The bad news: It's not My Little Pony.
>>
>>29566599
The news: Nobody really cares.
>>
>>29566599
Then who's turning humans into what?
>>
>>29566844
Digimon
>>
>>29566936
is that whos doing the turning, or what the humans are being turned into?
>>
>>29566960
>what the humans are being turned into?
This
>>
>>29567276
I haven't read the conversion bureau, but from what I've gathered from these threads, I imagine it's people being turned into Digimons.
>>
File: 1476855489283.jpg (170KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1476855489283.jpg
170KB, 600x400px
BMP-2
>>
File: 1466561636111.jpg (2MB, 3000x1715px) Image search: [Google]
1466561636111.jpg
2MB, 3000x1715px
>>29565428
>But it absolutely does, you double nigger.

When you do work on a system, you no longer conserve momentum. In order to have a stable geocentric system, in which Celestia and Luna are controlling celestial bodies, they by necessity would have to do work on the planetary system.

>There is no conceivable interpretation of this sentence that isn't complete utter bullshit. It's not even pseudo-sciency talk, it's devoid of any sense. You're Not Even Wrong™ to quote Mr. Pauli.

Except that it's fucking MAGIC. It can do whatever the fuck it wants because it's fucking MAGIC.

>I know suspension of disbelief is a thing, but there's some lines you can't cross.
Momentum is your speed times how fat you are, that's not rocket science, and if you just ignore it I can guarantee you'll be contradicting yourselves in a dozen different ways.

Momentum is also 2E/v or ± sqrt(e^2 - c^4 m^2)/c Also, momentum is the sum of all the mv in a system. Again, you can fuck with the system to unconserve that shit. A solar system does not have to be a closed system.

>If it's not as obviously stupid as pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, then it's already an improvement.
>It's not stupid if you can't prove it wrong.

How about when you strap rockets to your bootstraps?

I would also like to point out that pegasi are not aerodynamically viable flying things. They use, *gasp* MAGIC to fly. In other words, they move themselves with magic inside themselves. Unicorns can lift themselves up with magic as well. So what's so hard about being able to apply the same principles externally? Why can a unicorn pick up an extremely heavy thing without sinking into the ground? Because magic doesn't conserve momentum OR energy. Magic is some kind of ethereal EXTERNAL actor on a system.

CONTINUED BECAUSE I MAD
>>
Part 2 (I'm not actually mad lol)

>>29565428
>If you write a story and you don't try to explain shit, then I'll be happy to enjoy the story for what it is.
>If you try to go all fake science on people, don't be surprised your bad physics gets torn apart.

His physics actually check out if you don't have a retarded idea of what magic is like.

>>29565542
(Newtonian) Physics apply in Equestria. There's a cartoon element to the show, but also a more Earthly element. Cheerilee gives the foals a lesson in basic Newtonian physics before they went out and built their soapbox racers.
>>
>>29570087
>Except that it's fucking MAGIC. It can do whatever the fuck it wants because it's fucking MAGIC.

Not him, but if that's true...

Why the fuck are you trying to pass this off as a rational explanation?
>>
>>29570151
Because you can do stupid shit and still have physics apply to it. Just because something doesn't work normally, doesn't mean it can't be worked out what's actually happening with physics.

If I apply a magic force of 6000N to a 300kg object, along a magically frictionless surface, for 0.1 seconds, how fast is the object going?

a) 2m/s

b) 20 m/s

c) 0.2m/s

d) It can't be moving at all because physics doesn't apply to magic
>>
>>29570231
>how fast is the object going?
Possibly none of the above since you didn't mention it's initial speed.
>>
>>29570231
>Because you can do stupid shit and still have physics apply to it.

If you're just going to dismiss every flaw as "It's magic fuk yuo", you shouldn't bother to come up with an explanation, since this deus ex just nullifies any limits and rules that are associated with, well, setting rules for your world.
>>
>>29570611
This, exactly.
>>
>>29570134
Cheerilee teaching something doesn't actually apply to what I was talking about, as I'm talking about the way the show is written. The narrative is written on its own premises, and then stuff like details in animations (which is what you're talking about) are squeezed in as a result of the narrative enabling it.

Besides, you should know that you can't extrapolate the existence of Newtonian physics in-universe from one instance in-universe of such physics being taught. It would be true if and only if basic Newtonian physics being taught necessitates the existence of said physics (or the other way around), but that is obviously not the case.
>>
>>29570532
My bad. My point still stands.

>>29570611
You can build a boat without knowing where wood comes from.

>>29570693
Firstly, it was in the dialogue. Secondly, why would you teach something that doesn't exist outside of bible school
>>
File: 1474186491945.jpg (42KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
1474186491945.jpg
42KB, 479x720px
>>29571453
>I hold the monopoly of truth and no one can refute me
>>
How does Biscuit have such good headcanons?
>it never snows on Hearth's Warming
>because the weatherponies have the day off
Makes perfect fucking sense but I wouldn't have thought of it.
On the off chance that anyone else is still reading Collegepone: holy shit, how is Meghan's mom such a dumbass?
>>
File: 2133.jpg (78KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2133.jpg
78KB, 1920x1080px
>>29561586
hehehe
>>
>>29572037
ebin, my friend
lemme gib u an upboat
>>
>>29561103
REACHING SPIRITUAL LEVELS THE LIKES OF WHICH NOT EVEN /x/ DARES TO LARP INTO
>>
>>29572019
>it never snows on Hearth's Warming
>because the weatherponies have the day off
its not like weather requires someone to actively administrate.
weather teams kick clouds before CoB on HWE and it continues to snow throughout the night and into the next day
gee that was hard
>>
File: triple nigger.gif (762KB, 206x250px) Image search: [Google]
triple nigger.gif
762KB, 206x250px
>>29564029
Technically, they're supposed to since they leave horseshoe prints on the ground when they walk, but that's likely just because it's expected in media that a horse leave horseshoe marks.

>never see them wearing any in the show
Troubleshoes does actually wear them in a scene in his episode.

>>29565018
>its little rotating glass wheel.
If you consider the comics canon [spoiler[who does?[/spoiler] than the moon is a literal natural satellite several hundred or thousand miles in diameter.

>>29565033
Tried to look for it given how specific and unique "Veritas" is, but no luck, even by limiting the time range. If it was on gdocs, there's a good chance it was deleted.

>>29565036
>sun lowers and moves to the other side of the planet because where else would it go?
>moon rises, planet blocks most of the sun's light, causing a crescent moon.

>>29565067
While I'll always love the tidally locked headcanon, the speed at which Discord would have to spin the planet to cause the sun and moon to "move" that fast would likely cause the centrifugal force to overcome gravity and fling everything into space.

>>29565428
>But it absolutely does
Gif related. I used Twi rather than Starlight because of dat pudgy belly.
>>
File: Untitled.png (4MB, 935x3961px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
4MB, 935x3961px
>>29561103
>>
>>29573305
oh come on. this is just getting silly.

Nobody listens to voicefag
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1MB, 893x4545px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
1MB, 893x4545px
OH DON'T MIND ME JUST ADDING TO THIS SPIRITUAL ASCENSION MEME TRAIN
>>
File: 1488190838150.jpg (2MB, 888x5600px) Image search: [Google]
1488190838150.jpg
2MB, 888x5600px
>>29573557
>>
>>29573303
I thought that even unshoed horses leave those crescent marks because that's the shape of the hoof, even if it doesn't have the shoe on it?

One of the big things to explain about the sun and moon moving is in Princess Twilight, when both are in the sky at the same time, the sky is split, with night time sky on the moon side. This is simply not a stellar or planetary arrangement anything like our world's.
>>
>>29566209
My headcanon is that the Wonderbolts contrails are something any sufficiently talented flier can do, they just whip up the atmospheric phenomenon with their tails. Rainbow can do the normal one too, she demonstrates this in Newbie Dash. In No Second Prances she also demonstrates what seems to be a sonic boom with no rainbow.

Since they discuss the rainboom in terms of "making a sonic boom and a rainbow at the same time", it sounds like they have the general concept of a rainbow-less sonic boom. Given that the pegasi are capable of all kinds of weird atmospheric manipulations (whipping up tornadoes with their wings and tails), it seems sensible enough to think it's something about how they manipulate the air to fly in the first place.
There are also lots of elements of predestination in the show, perhaps Rainbow's hair color is an indication that she was fashioned by the Powers That Be or whatever so as to be capable of the Sonic Rainboom.
>>
>>29573621
Season 1-2 canon - orbital system where comets and other moons exist
Season 4+ continuity - giant sphere?

But then there's the moving stars from the first episode. It might be that the only solution is to throw out one or another piece of canon to leave the rest consistent. I'm sure it's what the show writers would do.
>>
>>29574195
Though I guess just because at least four stars were actually living entities at lunar distance doesn't mean the rest were.

(What I wouldn't give to get Faust to hammer this out, deluded feminist or not.)
>>
>>29564029
Horseshoes exist in the universe and I don't know for what else if not for wearing them. Sure they normally don't, but horseshoes are a thing, so there has to be an occasion for it.
>>
>>29574209
Something you wear for added protection under your outer shoes? Something for horses like the ones Twilight transformed the mice in The Best Night Ever into? The pony equivalent of brass knuckles?
>>
>>29574209
Probably for the same reason as irl, to protect from wear when traveling on roads/gravel. Even if trains are a thing, horse carriages are apparently still a major transportation mean.
>>
Which of the Mane 6 is most likely to be a rapist and/or a generally abusive girlfriend/spouse? Asking for a story idea.
>>
>>29575524
Pretty much all of them in some manner

>wtf why didn't you read my book
>wtf why didn't you buy me that
>wtf why dan't ya cam to mah fahmile reunion
>wtf why do you bring up diabetes as an excuse
>wtf why do I cum in 10 seconds flat it's clearly your fault
>wtf why won't you get into zoophilia
>>
>>29575524
>rapist
Pank. She doesn't know the meaning of the word no
>domestic abuser
Probably hatpone. Redneck country values?
Next most likely is twilight, dash, and rara in that order
>>
>>29575567
Thinking on it, Fluttershy would probably be the most psychologically manipulative of the Mane 6 next to Rarity.
She's pretty passive-aggressive at times and, taking Zephyr into account, the more familiar and close she is with a person, the less likely she is to hold back on her barbs.
Since she's known as being so sweet and nice and hard to anger, she'd be able to pull off the 'it's your fault I'm abusing you' thing more effectively than most ponies.
>>
>>29575678
Plus, who the fuck would believe Fluttershy would be abusing you?
>>
>>29575524
Twilight can be pretty casual about dragging and tossing others around with magic. And she's prone to blaming others for her own screwups (Princess Spike).
Rainbow and Pinkie can be pretty aggressive in trying to get others to do things they don't want to; as in Dragon Quest and Hurricane Fluttershy for the former and Griffon the Brush Off and A Friend in Deed for the latter. Amending Fences shows a case of the same for Twilight.
Tanks for the Memories shows how far Rainbow will go in physical aggression to get something she wants.
Fluttershy and Rarity seem to tend more to passive manipulation, but Sweet and Elite shows she'll go pretty far in lying and scheming to get what she wants.
Applejack 10/10 perfect waifu.
>>
>>29576210
>>Sweet and Elite shows she'll go pretty far
Rarity will, I mean.
>>
Where do you think you're going, thread?
>>
File: for what purpose.png (289KB, 1311x577px) Image search: [Google]
for what purpose.png
289KB, 1311x577px
So, we all talk about the skirts, adn the BlackRoseRavens, and the kudzuhaikus of the site, but what about this guy?

Four and a half million words written, most of which I presume Belong to the POV series. What are those even about?
>>
>>29577139
>Book 1: 84k
>Book 2: 88k
>Book 3: 116k
>Book 4: 79k
>Book 5: 105k
>Book 6: 825k
>Book 7: 523k
>Book 8: 707k
Oh boy, it's one of THOSE series

>What are those even about?
The first book looks to be about the M6 and others recovering from Discord's mind games. Not sure how you drag that out into 2.5M words (not counting the many, many side stories).
>>
>>29577710
Don't forget season 0, which were the chapters posted on DeviantArt about each of the Mane6 being Discorded.
>>
>>29577802
I saw that one too, but it's only 10k and looked like a sort of prologue, so I ignored it.
>>
>>29577139
I'm clueless when it comes to that guy and his project.

So let's have a look at a random chapter:
>Pony POV Series Season Six: Dark World/Shining Armor - Episode 118.5 ("Dark World" Rise Of The Alicorn): Fluttercruel's Punishment
>Chapter 33.5
>"Fluttercruel's Punishment"
>Optional-Canon
>By Alex Warlorn
>Edited By Kendell2

> Fluttershy blinked at the noise, not expecting visitors. She kissed Fluttercruel on the forehead, "Mommy's just going to see who that is sweetie."
My guess is that the fic alternates between a reality/timeline where Discord won, and the regular Equestria. And Fluttercruel is "Discorded" Fluttershy, although I have no idea why she's now living as Fluttershy's adoptive daughter. I presume that's explained somewhere in the earlier million words or so.

>Fluttershy opened the door revealing green fields and forests that went for infinity.
"Edited" by Kendell2 might be an overstatement.

We're then introduced to Fluttershy's sister in law, Anarchy. Who is a Draconequus.

>"I'm here about my niece."
>Fluttershy's eyes darkened, "I told you that if any of you came before she chose to come back besides her father that you'd meet the Queen of Cups' anger." The air around the pegasus darkened, and a massive shadow began to stretch behind her that had a horn.
This is very poorly written. How can you manage to shit out millions of words, and have an editor, and still write like this?

>TL;DR it's shit
>>
>>29577862
Well, unless I'm mistaken that one came first, and only afterwards it made its way to the site.
>>
File: Eugh.gif (514KB, 482x482px) Image search: [Google]
Eugh.gif
514KB, 482x482px
>>29577909
>The air around the pegasus darkened, and a massive shadow began to stretch behind her that had a horn.
Good Lord, how can you write that and not think of any other possible way to word that?
>>
>>29577909
I'm a shit writer and even I know that this thing could have been worded better.
>>
Here's a few more quotes:

>"WHAO! Watch it babe! You do NOT want to go down that road. Trust me, I've seen parts of my family and yours go down it before and it was NEVER pretty! Most of the last ones killed were revolutionaries so it's not like I don't care. Look, I'll cut to the case. Some of YOUR family petitioned the Elders and They took a vote. They think you're not getting at the core of the issue with 'little Odyne' to keep her from growing up into another D____ or Morning Star...Well, three of Them, anyway, Mom just kind of said 'WHATEVER!' and went back to pretending She's the only Thing in Creation."

>"Okay. You're the boss in this little corner of forever, so I gotta do what ya say, but this ain't the end babe, c ya." Anarchy left.

>Fluttershy played pattycake with Fluttercruel, her hooves touching her daughter's hooves and lioness' paw. It was nice to see her foal happy in a way that didn't involve hurting another.

>Another knock at the door.
>Fluttershy hugged her child and opened the door again.
>"Hi." Rancor, the Concept of violence itself, waved back.

>Pandemonium/Pandora/Desire Atë Typhon held a white flag in her green witch's hand, waving her bear arm at Fluttershy hesitantly.

This is all from the first 600 words or so of a single chapter. It reads like the ramblings of a madman, but I still kind of desire to know more.
>>
>>29577987
I can't say I haven't read stories with worse writing than this.

Still, if this guy really had an editor, he should get a new one.
>>
>>29577909
>let's have a look at a random chapter
I kind of like this idea. Instead of the normal riff / rage review, just start reading the fic at a random point 2/3 of the way through, and try to figure out what the fuck is going on. You don't even need to pick a shitfic for this to work - even Pirene, for example, would be pretty confusing if you skipped over all the explanation of goblins and such.
>>
>>29577987
>c ya
Oh, go fuck yourself.
>>
I've read the first few books (up until it starts crossing over with G3, since I haven't watched much of that yet- that's another thing, this basically tries to tie together every pony thing ever made in one big multiverse/timeline)- enjoyable story in its way, but I'll admit the actual prose can be clunky.

But this chapter on its own gives me the same glorious mind**** feeling I got when listening to Voiceguy's reading of The Chase chapter 907 (having only read the first four chapters of that, and the Rage Review summaries of the first 40 or so), where Sparkler's talking to somepony about them becoming a knight(?).

On a less insane note, some authors seem to have a habit of putting Complete marks where chapter breaks should be.
>>
>>29578181
>mind**** feeling
>>
>>29578140
Jumping into a random chapter and failing to understand what the fuck was going on was the reason I started posting about Waiwai in the first place, way back in 2014.
And now I've read everything from the start to the point where I originally jumped in, and realised that it just doesn't make sense.

Either way, this chapter of the POV stuff seems to devolve into Fluttershy having a long discussion on justice with the living embodiments of Justice and Judgement. Also Discord's older sister drops by, and the story can tell us that she's the living embodiment of Darwinism. Make of that what you will.
Honestly, the idea of all these living representations of ideas and concepts seems somewhat neat, but the fic itself still reads really poorly. Might finish the chapter out of curiosity.

>>29578181
Was it still some sort of shitty cosmological high-concept fantasy story back then, or did it start out more grounded?
>>
>>29578140
Now I wanna see someone who hasn't read Pirene randomly open one of the later chapters and try to figure it out. But then, that would deny someone the opportunity to enjoy Pirene as it was meant to be read.
>>
>>29578747
>that would deny someone the opportunity to enjoy Pirene
What about someone who has no desire whatsoever to read pony stories with a human tag?
>>
>>29578211
Pretty grounded. As was said, it started out with very short POV (title drop) chapters of the Mane 6 (& Trixie) getting Discorded (and an AU epilogue where they never came back, which eventually spun off into the aforementioned Dark World), and then (Book 0-Book 1) went on to detail their and Ponyville's recovery, and other issues. Even then it was *kind of* weird, but it really picked up after that.

Didn't get too much into the Concept thing, from what I recall. Except insofar as apparently anypony (or at least a powerful one) can become a Nightmare by letting one aspect of themselves take over.
>>
>>29578761
That's fine, I guess. Though, I still try to sell people on the fic even if they say they don't like HiEs, because this story avoids most of the pitfalls of HiE and should really be thought of as a regular, non-pony fantasy novel that just happens to take place in Equestria and use a lot of its worldbuilding.
>>
>>29578747
I'd be up for a kind of trade actually. Someone reads Pirene (or DOWAS or CSI) starting from a random chapter, and I'll do the same with a fic they recommend that I haven't read. Then we can both post about our confusion for everyone's entertainment.
>>
>>29578779
>I still try to sell people on the fic even if they say they don't like HiE
It's not that I don't like HiE, I'm just not interested in mixing humans and ponies.

Hell, the only EqG fics I've read were Fractured Sunlight and Long Road to Friendship, and that was at the behest of this thread, and one smutfic that a friend wanted me to read, and even then I just kept wondering why not just make them ponies.

The Human genre of pony fic is one in which I have zero interest, so I have nothing to lose by reading a random Pirene chapter for the sake of figuring things out for shits and giggles.
>>
>>29577139
Previous mentions (via yuki.la):
>>16131693
>>18390185
>>
>>29578761
Then don't read it, you tosser.
>>
>>29578854
>>29578847
Sounds like you can sort things out between yourselves.
>>
>>29575524
For rapist I definitely imagine Twilight or maybe Pinkie. Not as like, dyed in the wool sexual predators, but as ponies that have or will go a little too far sometimes, and didn't really realize it until they were called on it.

Even though I like to headcanon moving other ponies with your magic as a Canterlot cultural thing, she generally does a lot of like, "No time to explain subject yourself to my fucking magic." I can definitely imagine her sort of just expecting you to understand once she's shown you how good her sexual friendship princess power can be.

Pinkie's about the same. She just can't imagine somepony not having as much fun as her with the way she wants to have fun.

And of course, Grand Galloping Gala with Fluttershy demanding the animals love her basically started the flutterrape meme.

Like >>29576210 says, you could really make a case for any of them. Though unlike some shows, there's not quite the right kind of material to support that as a real headcanon.

For abusive girlfriend or spouse, it's hard to say. Physically, I'd think Twilight for the same casual use of magic sort of reason. Applejack maybe as "roughhousing" that got a little too rough "because ah don't know mah own strength sometimes."
I can definitely see Fluttershy being like, darkly abusive.
I would think Rarity would just be normal terrible princess material; and Dash one of those shitty relationships because she doesn't know what she wants and can't deal with her feelings, so she's constantly hot or cold.

I find it hard to support the notion that Pinkie Pie could be actually abusive in a relationship.
>>
File: 100_3202.jpg (138KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
100_3202.jpg
138KB, 640x480px
>>29573621
>leave those crescent marks
Not really. Pic related's what a shoeless hoofprint looks like.

>>29575524
None of them, because it doesn't fit their personalities.

>>29577139
I completely forgot Pony POV went on for all eternity.

> What are those even about?
IIRC, the original Pony POV was about Twilight trying to unmindrape her friends from Discord's shit--each chapter followed a different M6 and Twilight helping them, and an alternate "bad ending" where Discord wins.

It was 7/10. Then for some reason he decided to turn it into a -verse and have this convoluted story where everyone becomes a NMM at some point, the "bad ending" spins up into it's own fanfic series devoted to trying to make it a good ending, and Hasbro ("the Shadows Who Rule") is the eldrich abomination creator of the universe and the whole convoluted mess only exists because we ("the Shadows tWho Watch") need to be entertained. There's also some kind of weird lore stuff involving Discord's parents destroying Gen 3.

I guess the Shadows Who Rule didn't like it very much given what canon eventually did with Discord compared to how this -verse portrays him.
>>
>>29577909
I read the first part way back when. It started off pretty well, with everyone dealing with post-Discord PTSD. I bailed around the time Fluttershy turned into an alicorn of smothering motherliness and hypnotized all of Ponyville into a soporific happiness (all the while taking on all their pain or something--when the rest of the gang confronted her she was horribly maimed yet undying etc. etc. She got better, but I said enough of this.)

>Optional-Canon

I think that means for his own 'verse...

>By Alex Warlorn
>Edited By Kendell2

Probably the other way around. I know he had a crisis around book 5 or 6 when a writer in his fiction factory went off script and put a bunch of military stuff in.
>>
What's some good stuff with Pinkie?

Something that goes beyond lol so randum xDDDDD.

Pinkie is seriously underappreciated fanfiction wise, most people can't seem to grasp her character properly or find it hard to write so they pass by her.
>>
>>29581244
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/84903/twice-as-bright
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/364345/passion-and-reason
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/123296/taken-for-granite
>>
Since the last strawpoll was a tie, I'll just do some more bleedin stuff.

I feel like doing a stream today.
>>
File: 1374647220635.gif (2MB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
1374647220635.gif
2MB, 450x338px
>Haven't written anything since high school
>feel the sudden urge to the last couple days
>Spend all last night a gay clop with Snails
>No one will read it because too afraid to post online
>>
>>29582063
Do it faggot

What's the worst that could happen, a couple of downvotes and some autist shitters in the comment section?
>>
>>29582063
>>29582081
Just make sure you don't post it under any usernames you intend to continue using.
>>
>>29582063
As long as you don't sperg over it so we take it as a serious work, it's fine.
>>
>>29577139
>>29579608
Reposting old comments (not mine):

>>3950642
>It might behoove you to read the Pony POV/Reharmonized fanfic series. One of the subplots is about that very thing- Diamond and Silver have a falling out which leads Silver to become friends with the CMC, and Diamond to, , as a result of the above and several other factors, including her mother (Screwball)'s mental breakdown and her father being a paranoid racist, re-release Discord from his statue due to being mind-raped to the breaking point by him over the course of several months.

>Admittedly, that's merely a small part in a very big, very psychological fanfic, but it's well worth a read.

>>3950779
>It's only dark in that it makes the happy endings all the better. Pony POV operates off of what I call the Don Bluth principle: You can put the audience through as much emotional hell as you want, just so long as there's a happy ending.

>Specifically, Pony POV is about the cast dealing with the psychological trauma that being mind-raped by Discord in the Season 2 premiere would realistically produce, and growing from the experience as a result. It also has an amazing Equestria creation myth that makes the previous MLP generations canon with this one in a believable way, and has Princess Gaia, who is probably one of the more terrifying villains I've ever seen in any form of media.

>But I've spoiled too much already. I cannot stress this enough, you people NEED to read this fic.

>>10387316
>I think my favorite silver spoon related thing I've encountered has been this.

>Pony POV Series Butterflies Pt 13 Silver Spoon

>http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Pony-POV-Series-Butterflies-Pt-13-Silver-Spoon-282295889
>>
>>29577139
>>29582424
More:

>>16134465
>>started off okay
>>took a darker look at characters following te s2 pilot
>>was still trying to be genuine to the happy end mentality of the show
>>trned into a clusterfuck
>>turned even more in one
>>does not come to an end
>>GOD DAMN IT WRITER! JUST END IT ALREADY I DO NOT CARE ABOUT EVERY MLP BACKGROUND CHARACTER GETTING A HAPPY END AND YOU TRYING TO CREATE A MLP MULTIVERSE THAT INCLUDES EVERY FUCKING GENERATION

>>16135795
>Fanfic-verses are worse than regular fanfiction since by their very nature are designed to be long and drawn out. Despite how inane, unlikable, unnecessary, or boring it actually is. Fuckers have no idea what pacing is. The POV worked only as an expansion of the s2 premiere, it didn't need to go into the personal lives of BG characters or the damn multiverse.
>>
>>29577139
>>29582427
>>16138214
>The problem with pony POV is simple: It was meant as an addition to the s2 premiere, by dealing with how the characters come to terms with their emotional shortcomings that allowed Discord to manipulate them. And it was obvious that the thing was going in the following direction.

>>Characters come to terms with themselves
>>characters get stronger as friends
>>a bit of origin and semi world building to throw in references to previous MLP generations
>>Facing off Discord again and defeating them.

>But somewhere down the line it turned into a weird story about Celestia and Luna being part of an alicorn pantheon that is the opposite to a draconiqui pandaemonium, those two fractions actually control the multiverse, Equestria is just the prime world of a multiverse where fanfiction is "real", pointless background characters got entire stories devoted to them, there is an alternate reality where Discord won (which turned out to be in a time loop created by a Nightmare form of Twilight to punish him), Shining Armor is a messiah. Instead of just telling a story, a multiverse was created and the main focus got lost. And it still does not end.

>I think the shit is "better" than some other garbage out there, but the author needs to just stop.
>>
>>29577139
>>29582432
>>18390185
>a story divided into "seasons" that are: Zero: What if Discord won part one
>One: What if Return of Harmony left the ponies emotionally damaged
>and Trixie was an another element of Magic
>Two: Fluttershy has a complete different mind/soul shaing her body that cause to go Nightmare mode
>Three or Four: Whole made up backstory that span Gen. 4 and every Gen. before it
>Four or Five or both: Continuation of the corruption of Diamond Tiara into i think a Nightmare by Discord, She become complete evil bitch that free Discord by spilling her BLOOD on his statue to free him.
>Six: Series of writing by ponies from the backstory
>6 1/2: What if Discord won part two and introducing Shining Armor into this mess
>7: Canterlot Wedding that fit his alternate universe.

>>18390236
>he has 69 pages of different fanfics he made on Fanfiction.net about Sonic the Hedgehog, crossovers, Digimon, Pokémon, Legend of Zelda, Card Captor Sakura among others.

>>18404900
>https://www.fimfiction.net/user/Alex+Warlorn
>Has written a story where Fluttershy goes Nightmare "mode", Trixie and a second soul/personality coexisting inside Fluttershy are elements of magic and kindness at the same as Twi and Flutter, the ponies suffering psychological damage from return of harmony, Discord still in his statue corrupting Diamond Tiara until she become pure evil Nightmare mode that spill her own blood to free him, has a whole made up mythology and backstory that connect gen 4 and other before it together which include making 2 pantheons of deities that are respectively Celly and Luna family on one side and Discord family on the other other, has a made up Multiverse that is filled with all sorts of "What if this one action was made differentially how would things be different" of which one is a bad future where Discord won.
>>
>>29581136
>I know he had a crisis around book 5 or 6 when a writer in his fiction factory went off script and put a bunch of military stuff in.
Source (or details)?
>>
>>29582424
>Admittedly, that's merely a small part in a very big, very psychological fanfic, but it's well worth a read.
I know this was said 26 million posts ago, but I really hope this Anon feels ashamed for saying this.
>>
>>29582424
>Reposting old comments
Why?
>>
>>29582569
See >>29577139.
>>
>>29581792
So, no stream?
>>
Why aren't you writing, Anon?
>>
>>29583731
I'm busy eating.
>>
https://a.pomf.cat/pclztm.mp3
>>
>https://www.fimfiction.net/story/360348/the-skyla-pseudonym
I just realized this entire series is Twilight POV. Fuck. I was hoping for teenage Flurry Heart doing teenage Flurry Heart things, but it looks like we only get to see her in situations where Twilight is also involved.
>>
>>29584786
Why is she a pirate?
>>
>>29584837
Who, Twilight or Flurry?

Twilight: because it was part of her secret mission in the previous book, before everyone turned into an alicorn and everything went off the rails
Flurry: because her parents are, like, totally lame and won't let her have any fun
>>
>>29582454

Fuck if I remember. It was back when I was reading pony threads on rpg.net a couple years ago. I think the guy wound up trying to get deviantart to take down the stuff he'd written for Alex, which fucked over Alex again.
>>
>>29556659
How'd we get from only two [Embed]s in >>29433893 to five in >>29504995? Did an OP cheat? Was he as bad at counting as he was at addition?
>>
>>29556586
>Look at an author's stories
>Some incomplete ones look interesting
>Last updated 2015
>Author takes commissions
>"Money comes first, then I will do my best to get the commission to you in a timely manner."

I guess I should be grateful that I'm not quite dumb enough to try actually giving them money.
>>
dont you love it when someone gives you a reason to not read something they wrote?
>>
>>29585079
ebin memeing, I suppose.
>>
>>29585116
>a return
Oh, so they had used it before? Why did you keep reading after that?
>>
>>29585146
I havent. its been on a shelf for awhile so i get updates in my feed. and none of the updates and blog posts for that have ever made me think 'ive really got to read that'
>>
>>29585159
>Stardust Balance
>A writer posting his work on the site. Whovian, Sonic, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, Star Wars and Undertale fan. Hope we can become great friends!

>Definitely not a self-insert, guys!
>Brony in Equestria
>Show re-write
>Falls for Twiggles

Why did you say it's in your shelf?
>>
File: Untitled.png (9KB, 496x116px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
9KB, 496x116px
>total views
Is this a number of all unique IP accesses for a story (as in individual readers) or a cumulative of accesses over all the chapters?
What does the 12704 mean?
>>
>>29585184
>What does the 12704 mean?
It's the number of views of your highest chapter.

Say you have a three chapter story with 5000 views and 12000 total views.

That means that your most viewed chapter (usually the first one) has been viewed five thousand unique times, while the other two chapters have the rest of the views.
>>
>>29585182
>Why did you say it's in your shelf?
Ive got 3400ish things on my shelves. no idea when that got added but it probably didnt appear to be that retarded at the time
>>
>>29585116
From this post I inferred:
>it's a show rewrite
>starring an OC
>the OC is the author's self insert
Why would this be on any of your bookshelves?
>>
>>29585200
Thanks mate.
>>
>>29585284
Many people have tried doing those. Eventually someone is going to get it right.

Clearly this isnt the guy
>>
>>29585345
>Many people have tried doing those.
The show re-write or the self-insert thing?
>>
>>29585355
Both. Individually and combined.
Yeah most are just awful but eventually someones got to do it good

A million monkeys on a million typewriters etc etc
>>
>>29585443
Can't speak for the show re-write, but I know a self-insert can be done in a way that doesn't make you want to kill yourself.
>>
>>29585478
[Citation needed]
>>
Hit me up with your personal favorite fanfic. I've never read a single one.

>Inb4 my little dashie
>>
>>29585668
Honestly not sure. My Calibre library has over 500 fics tagged as read and not tagged as bad.

I assume you want something of decent length that's not clop, fetish, AiE, HiE or Past Sins.

RagingSemi's Our Last Goodbye was pretty memorable, despite the tragically flubbed last line. I found out after reading that it was part of a series; I haven't read the others, but you can if you want:

http://explicit.ponyfictionarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=203&index=1 (Chomping on the Bit)
http://ponyfictionarchive.net/viewuser.php?uid=100&sort=alpha (A Pony History of the Dragon War 1-6 - linking author index due to laziness)
http://ponyfictionarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=166&index=1 - Spike's Welcome Home Going Away Party
http://explicit.ponyfictionarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=333&index=1 - Our Last Goodbye
>>
>>29585668
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/71281/cultural-artifacts
>>
>>29585668
Just read Dangerous Business
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/182859/its-a-dangerous-business-going-out-your-door
>>
>>29585794
Seconding the recommendation.
>>
>>29585668
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/197090/celestias-relaxing-vacation

If your interest flags, I recommend skipping to the chapter "Mother Gets Confused", then to "Celestia Does The Time Warp".
>>
Worst OC in a pony fic that isn't Nyx GO!
>>
>>29585668
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/73404/through-the-well-of-pirene
>>
>>29585851
Almost any OC from any true shitfic I've ever read.
>>
>>29585851
Girokon
Whatever was the name of the pony form of the CIA guy from wai wai
>>
>>29585884
Girokon did nothing wrong. Except being very rapable, if I remember correctly.

>Whatever was the name of the pony form of the CIA guy from wai wai
I've read 30+ chapters of that fic and I can't even remember. I know it's not John.
Steve, maybe?
>>
>>29585668

In the Garden of Good and Evil
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/75104/in-the-garden-of-good-and-evil
>>
>>29585915
it was john. steve was the evil fbi guy
>>
>>29585927
Wasn't he CIA? A pegasus, if I'm not misremembering.
>>
>>29585938
cia, fbi, whatever. all i know is he wasnt down for DAAASHHHIEEEEEEEEEEs crusty cunt like john 'tiny cock' john was
>>
>>29585927
Yeah, that was what I was suggesting.
Also, if I remember correctly the fic insists that Steve is both CIA and an "International US Agent", whatever that means.

>>29585952
Wasn't Steve into Lyra?

Do I need to dig up my backups of the fic?
>>
>>29585971
>Do I need to dig up my backups of the fic?
Do you actually have to ask?
>>
File: 486843.jpg (142KB, 1024x939px) Image search: [Google]
486843.jpg
142KB, 1024x939px
>>29585851
>The Goddess Faust
>Fauna Luster
>Faust A'Licorne
And all variations of the above.
>>
>>29586048
>Fauna Luster
Wait, what?
>>
>>29586048
>Fauna Luster
>>
File: file.png (102KB, 729x911px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
102KB, 729x911px
>>29585993
You're right, that was stupid of me.

So, Steve Connor is indeed the name of the "International Special Agent"-turned-Pegasus. Though it doesn't appear he's actually CIA or FBI.
This seems to be because Andre found a picture of a plastic badge on Google which says "International Special Agent" on it, and he apparently believes that this is a real thing. In reality it's some shitty fake badge you can buy online.

>Connor asked, "W-Wh...What the hell are you?"
>The pony went to him, "Oh hi my name is Lyra and yes I am a pony, an unicorn but what in Cilestias name are you?"
Also, while I think Steve (randomly referred to as Connor), kidnaps DASHIII at some point, his desired cocksleeve is indeed Lyra.

Steve said, "Yes, yes you wanted... I know. God damn I need a sleep."
>Lyra said, "I did some Pancakes if you want some."
>Connor turned to her and said, "Wow really thank you."
>Connor started eating. They tasted really great, "You are a good cook!"
>Lyra blushed, "Oh ehm thanks, that was nothing."
Now, I haven't actually finished this fic, and I don't want to spoil it, so I'm not 100% sure if they ever get to mash their genitals together, but the shipping is absolutely there. Andre's approach to subtlety can be likened to using a nuclear strike to solve a hostage situation, and only ever deviates from the completely obvious when he writes something so immensely stupid that no sound mind would predict it.

Also look at this timeline of New York.
>>
>>29586200
>first eclectic cars released

ec·lec·tic
əˈklektik/
adjective
deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources.
noun
a person who derives ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources.

I'd like to drive one of those.
>>
>>29586095
>>29586110
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/44200/7/pony-pov-series-season-four-generation-transitions-origins/episode-52-origins-celestia-part-3
>...my Mother, Fauna Luster...

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/44200/8/pony-pov-series-season-four-generation-transitions-origins/episode-53-origins-celestia-part-4

>What are My Parents like?
>They Exist. There is no more precise and direct way to put it. It's like I was just a fantasy in the face of a real pony in their presence. Mother Is the Perfect Existence or said another way the Perfect Empathy. Father Is The Perfect Reality or looked at another way the Perfect Wisdom.
>Mother was white. Father was black. Neither were wicked or cruel. Nor were they indifferent or cold. To look at them, was to look at a window into a whole reality unto themselves. When their wings opened, they stretched from one end of the Their domain to the other. Their wings touching and overlapped was true divinity. My Mother's horn and my Father's were each circled by set of tiny horns that reminded me almost of a crown.
>>
>>29586228
A car that runs on ideas and concepts.
>Genius
>>
File: PERFECT.png (631KB, 1100x1160px) Image search: [Google]
PERFECT.png
631KB, 1100x1160px
>>29586235
>>
>>29586235
I can just taste the 'epic' leaking from this story.
>>
>>29586200
>rebuild of NYC after WW2
was NYC razed before or after the germans bombed pearl harbor?
>>
Is my memory off, or has Fimfiction changed the way sidebars on blog posts work? I feel like they used to show earlier blogs going backward from the one currently open; whereas now they show the user's latest blogs minus the one currently open.
>>
>>29586330
I don't remember how they used to be, but that's definitely how they work now.
>>
>>29586338
It didn't used to be like it is, but it do.
>>
hump
>>
>>29585668
>your personal favorite fanfic
Chronicles of the Pridelands (http://www.dmuth.org/furry/lionking).

>/furry/

For pone, Night's Favoured Child (https://www.fimfiction.net/story/5523/nights-favoured-child)

For pone that will be completed prior to the heat death of the universe, The Lunar Rebellion (https://www.fimfiction.net/story/77470/the-lunar-rebellion).

>>29585851
Doubt, from Faith and Doubt (https://www.fimfiction.net/story/51867/faith-and-doubt), an OC alicorn with metal wings who is infatuated with Twilight (who returns the affection) and is the the angsty black hole that the story orbits around.
>>
>>29585851
there are so many to choose from.

so far not yet mentioned is the brony turned fire-maned, black alicorn who marries half of the M6, luna and celestia before knocking them all up and becoming king of equestria in whats love got to do with it

I mean thats probably worse than a computer programmer that first destroyed earth and later destroyed RDs cunt
>>
>>29582885
I'd fallen asleep right through my usual start time.

I'm gonna try and stay awake today. This time it'll be later than usual. 1:30 PM PST.

I'ma try and see if there's a sweet spot where the most people are on at one time.
>>
>>29587958
>so far not yet mentioned is the brony turned fire-maned, black alicorn
Ah yes, I know exactly which--

>who marries half of the M6, luna and celestia before knocking them all up and becoming king of equestria
Strike that, I was thinking of a completely different human turned fire-maned black alicorn.
>>
>>29588033
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/21513/whats-love-got-to-do-with-it
this probably did it first and worst
>>
pump bump
>>
>>29588043
>Not just another HiE story. nooooooooo (read desc)

>After the first 50 or so chapters, the grammar does improve, as well as the overall story line. I have worked very hard to make this 'Gary Stu' character as far from the reference as possible. I have developed him into his own being and built the story around him and his actions.

>Featured In
>Alicorn OC's are alright!

>1161 upvotes
>Has a sequel
>>
>>29588043
I remember that garbage.

In fact, this one guy managed to get all these people together to narrate each individual chapter.

I only did one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2-1L5toqFU&index=132&list=PLA1n0V7LKC3CFy7vp9fm3NpB29F98uqzI

I should redo it.
>>
>>29588860
>I should redo it.
to make it better or worse?
>>
>>29588893
Well, I'm currently in the process of cleaning it up. I'm talking about narrating the chapter again.

So yeah, most likely worse.
>>
>>29588043
>>29588795
What's love got to with it? Chapter 131

The first thing I've ever recorded that was uploaded to youtube.

Stream of Chapter 4 of the Chase in 1 hour and 30 minutes.
>>
>>29589123
FUCK GOD DAMMIT I'M STUPID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ2AHhAj0gk
>>
>>29588860
This is cansur.
>>
twitch tv/voiceguystreamswhatever

>>29589264
You're cansur
>>
File: Cancun.jpg (474KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Cancun.jpg
474KB, 1600x1200px
>>29589637
>>29589264
This is Cancun.
>>
File: 1473938142005.png (201KB, 1200x601px) Image search: [Google]
1473938142005.png
201KB, 1200x601px
>>29589877
This is cancer
>>
Dear Fimfiction thread,

Why is it, whenever I open up the /mlp/ catalog page, you are somewhere down at the bottom and I have to scroll through the whole thing looking for you? It would be much more convenient if you stayed near the top. Please consider this. Thank you.

-Virginia, age 9
>>
>>29590938
Dear Virginia,

It's nice to see that you have taken such an interest in the thread, especially as you are in the target audience.
The reason why we are not constantly at the top is because our thread, while persistent, often goes on "dry spells" where there is very little posting. We are devoted, but our posting is far from the fast pace of more significant generals. But I will take your request to heart, and make sure to bring it up to management, so that this will hopefully be sorted out.
Until such a time, I recommend you simply search for the thread in the catalogue, or use a 4chan extension and make sure to "watch" the thread, bypassing the catalogue entirely.

Yours sincerely,
Anon
FimFiction Thread Public Relations
>>
>>29590938

VIRGINIA, you're wrong. You have been affected by the laziness of a lazy age of newfaggotry. They do not believe in any except what they see on page 1. They think that nothing can be which is not constantly bumped with shitposts. And all posts, Virginia, whether they be anon’s or tripfag’s, are shitposts. In this great chan of ours /mlp/ is a mere insect, an ant, in his faggotry, as compared with the boundless boards about him. Okay, mostly it's just /b/ that makes him look like less of a raging homosexual than he really is, but that's neither here nor there.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a /ffg/. It exists as certainly as scruffy and mature mares and DEUS VULT exist, and you know that they abound. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no /ffg/. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no Bleedin' then, no SDSJ, no mouthguns to make tolerable this weaboo picture site. We should have no enjoyment, except IRL. The eternal reminders of tiger fucking tanks would be extinguished.

Not believe in /ffg/! You might as well not believe in Milky threads! You might get your papa to hire men to ream your faggoty bottom, but even if they did so, what would that prove? Only that you are a great open-assed poof, but that is something that needs no proving. For you are here, and you would not be here unless you loved the feeling of cocks in your orifices.

Only clop, mary-sues, and the mockery thereof can push aside the curtain and view and picture the festering pile of dung at the hearts of the posters who here reside. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No /ffg/! Thank God! It lives, and it lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, it will continue to mock shitfics while itself producing nothing of value.
>>
>>29591040
>/ffg/
>>
>>29591177

>implying we aren't just another shambling zombie general
>>
>>29591177
>>29591211

I don't know whose dubs to believe
>>
>>29591211
But Anon, you're still retarded.
We've never called ourselves /ffg/, and it used to be the old name of the fucking Foot Fetish General.
If anything, people sometimes use /fimfic/, if you absolutely want to use an ebin shorthand.

>>29591245
Watch these.
>>
>>29591253

Kek denies you, Anon.
>>
lump
>>
So, I started my new job today (hooray!) and even though I thought this would mean my writing productivity would plummet, I actually managed to get more done in a few breaks I had than in all of February.

I guess my writer's block was just due to being distracted on the internet.
>>
>>29592013
>I guess my writer's block was just due to being distracted on the internet.

You just realized it?

Unless you get stimulated by struggle or real social interaction, you're going to stay dry and write nothing. Simple as that.
>>
>>29590938
https://boards.4chan.org/mlp/fimf
>>
>>29591245
Believe in dub dubs.
Just like I believe in Number City.
>>
Can someone recommend me a good magic based story? Preferably based around Twilight?
>>
File: 1374726.png (283KB, 2000x2623px) Image search: [Google]
1374726.png
283KB, 2000x2623px
>it's a fic where Twilight's an alicorn
>it's a fic with an OC that is essential to the plot
>it's another pointless SoL fic
>it's another cupcakes clone
>it's written by a self-admitted sperg/autist

GAS CHAMBER
A
S

C
H
A
M
B
E
R
>>
File: 1466947500604.gif (122KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1466947500604.gif
122KB, 320x240px
>>29594457
Hey, at least 3/5 of your stuff is sane this time.

You've come a long way, Aryannefag
>>
>>29594474
Then why aren't you busy making said (twilight) sparky little tykes?
>>
Stream today?

Maybe not, no one is showing up anymore.
>>
>>29594842
Too busy, been trying to get to your streams though, it helps if you set a time and date. It would also helpbif you post a twitch notif on youtube.
>>
>>29594963
Well, I'll try to do one today.

11:30 AM PST. That's three hours from now.
>>
>>29595040
1 hour

This particular chapter of The Chase is pretty bad
>>
File: 1480762525969.png (494KB, 800x1108px) Image search: [Google]
1480762525969.png
494KB, 800x1108px
>>29573303
>While I'll always love the tidally locked headcanon, the speed at which Discord would have to spin the planet to cause the sun and moon to "move" that fast would likely cause the centrifugal force to overcome gravity and fling everything into space.
Discord is Discord. He/she —I don't know him or hers "genre"— can stop the nuclear activity of the sun and move the Moon. By other hand, all stuff that Discord do could be a ilusion.
>>
>>29573303
>Pic

Could it be that she is using the ground as something to push against?
>>
The thing is beginning.

>>29589637
>>
>>29595908
>twitch tv/voiceguystreamswhatever
What's this?
>>
>>29595918
I'm doing a steam, where you can suggest edits, or just hang out. Today I'm editing chapter 4 of The Chase.
>>
>>29595930
Sorry, my internet just completely cut out. Let's try that again
>>
>>29596065
Nope, still down.

Shit, I'll have to do this next Thursday.

This chapter is cursed.
>>
>>29596099
That'd be a good title to rename it.
or a parody.

2 million words of The Curse. because once you start reading it and realize how much more is left to go all you can do is curse about it
>>
File: 1488138003580.png (172KB, 500x463px) Image search: [Google]
1488138003580.png
172KB, 500x463px
>>29596120
>Over 900 streams
>All of them containing the autism that is The Chase, and the autism of Voicey's hate for it.

What a time to be alive.
>>
>people keep posting spoilers to Austraeoh in comments on completely unrelated fanfics
why.jpg
I haven't even started reading the damn thing yet.
>>
Does anyone have any recommended reads on the concept of Sunset Shimmer reverting back into a pony while still in the human world? I found one that I only JUST started seems pretty good so far but curious if anyone has any more
>"Oops, I'm Equine Again"
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/280223

Also any suggested Sunset fics in general I will take.
>>
>>29596948
Not quite what you asked for, but here's one where Princess Twiggles turns into a tiny horse while on earth, and Sunset + M5 have to take care of her.
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/279135/sunsets-little-twilight
>>
>>29597014
Disregard this post, I misread 'not quite what you asked for' as 'not quite SURE what you asked for' somehow

>>29596969
thanks again
>>
>>29596948
belly rub her with your dick
>>
>>29597245
>tfw no one will ever lovingly rub their dick across your belly
>>
>>29597368
I thought Flutter was a futa in that pic and was rubbing Shimmer with an erection
>>
>>29597439
>Futta's looks happy with herself and Sunset doesn't know how to feel about this.
>>
>>29597451
Exactly
>>
File: 1062553.jpg (1MB, 3200x2800px) Image search: [Google]
1062553.jpg
1MB, 3200x2800px
>>29594738
Gen Z is already born. They're already watching Herr Pewdiepie's broadcasts from Trump's Ministry of Enlightenment and Propaganda, and swallowing red pills like LSD at a rave. It's only a matter of time before the swastika flies over the white house, a symbol of righteousness and moral good.
>>
>>29596099
It's a pity I'll no longer be able to make it to the streams. I only get back from work around this time.

On the plus side, I have about an hour every day that I can devote solely to writing.
>>
>>29597752
nobody watches pewds anymore
>>
Collegepone goes back to Equestria on Saturday. Biscuit should be writing OTPP again soon
>>
>>29599065
Tell that to his subscriber count.
>>
>>29600009
Tell that to his view count
>>
>>29595845
Nope. The telekinesis field only covers Twiggy. It never touches the ground.
>>
>>29598287
What time exactly?

I could probably change the schedule to late night streams. That's probably when people are on the most, anyway.
>>
>>29600549
Most youtubers get less views per video than their subscriber count.
>>
File: 21.png (149KB, 621x444px) Image search: [Google]
21.png
149KB, 621x444px
>>29600785
Can confirm
>>
>>29600847
El Em Ayyy Oh
>>
meem
>>
_ump
>>
>>29600847
If you couldn't even listen to the entire podcast what hope is there that anyone else could either?
>>
File: fucking wew.png (55KB, 1309x205px) Image search: [Google]
fucking wew.png
55KB, 1309x205px
>tfw you created an OC with a slightly similar backstory to Sunburst before Sunburst was even in the show
>tfw didn't capitalize on it
Fuck.
>>
>>29603134
Your OC would have come off as a ripoff of Sunburst, and would have been derided as such.

You don't know pain until canon ruins hours of backbreaking work *after* you've already done it. It's a lot worse than just damage to opportunity costs.
>>
>>29603171
How could he be a Sunburst ripoff if my idea (and post) was from June '15 and Sunburst wasn't in an episode until March '16?
>>
>>29603225
You really expect Fimfic readers to look that deeply into things?

They see an OC that's like Sunburst. Therefore, they will assume that the OC is based on Sunburst. And even if they don't, Sunburst's existence makes your OC obsolete, because why would they read about an OC that's like Sunburst when they can read about Sunburst?
>>
>>29603239
Good thing I never wrote a story about him then.
>>
File: wsir.png (74KB, 423x1175px) Image search: [Google]
wsir.png
74KB, 423x1175px
What should I read?
>>
>>29604190
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
>>
>>29604190
I can recommend Believing Stories, Duel Nature (Fair Warning, the first four chapters are crap, but from that point onwards it turns into a pretty fun adventure), Broken Simmetry, and Lost Cities.

Also, my last published story is in there. It's weird to see it mentioned
>>
>>29604190
eagle has landed.
itsnot especially good, but you can read the entire series in like 10 minutes
>>
File: 960.jpg (88KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
88KB, 960x540px
>get idea
>make vague notes
>tell myself that i'll start working with them tomorrow, so i don't need to write down everything
>i'll still remember the most important bits, right?
>return two weeks later
>find a bunch of cryptic notes
>can't remember the how and why of half of it
I don't know why I keep doing this to myself.
>>
>>29604332
>>29604341
Guess I should update the list, since I've already read Broken Symmetry and Eagle Has Landed. I'll check out Duel Nature though.
>>
>>29604449
>tell myself that i'll start working with them tomorrow, so i don't need to write down everything
Well, fuck. I was about to do the same. Guess I'll try to start writing now.

>>29604473
Also, you have seashell listed twice.
>>
>>29604487
>Guess I'll try to start writing now.
You should probably do that.

To give you some idea of why you should either start right away or at the very least write good notes, here's my current situation:
I've written down a basic story structure, concepts and themes I want to get close to, notes for dialogue and even vocabulary.
But I haven't really written down the plot in any real detail. And I can't for the life of me figure out why I haven't done that. I just have the most basic sequence of events, which isn't even totally coherent.
>>
>>29604473
If I could access the archive, I'd copypaste my old review of that story. The first four chapters feel like a forced prelude to the adventure that unfolds afterwards. It's a great adventure, with excellent character development and believeable interactions, interesting lore, enjoyable action, and all that one would want from a relatively short but satisfying tale.

But those first four chapters. Hot damn, everyone acts OoC, the set up is risible and makes you wonder why didn't the author just skip right up until the beginning of the trip.

Seriously though, I hope you read it. Maybe I'm just being blinded by the, uh, what's the opposite of nostalgia? Well, whatever. I hope you enjoy it.
>>
>>29604790
Yep already read chapters 1-6. They were kind of shitty. But now it's timeskipped into 3 months into Twilight's duty as Luna's bodyguard, and I'm hoping you're right about it getting better.

>makes you wonder why didn't the author just skip right up until the beginning of the trip
Chapter 6 has an AN saying that 1-5 were meant to be the whole story, but he decided to keep going instead of stopping there and putting the rest into the sequel.
>>
>>29604869
>meant to be the whole story, but he decided to keep going instead of stopping
How many other fics are out there which were similarly ruined?
>>
>>29603171
>You don't know pain until canon ruins hours of backbreaking work *after* you've already done it.
So what was your flop?
>>
>>29600847
>Giv IC
What did he mean by this?

>>29603171
>tfw you sperg out in blog posts about canon fucking up your story and everyone tells you it's no big deal
As long as you start posting it prior to canon screwing it up, readers will invoke a grandfather clause.

>>29604190
>Duel Nature
It caused one of the most severe fanfic justice system jimmy rustlings I've ever experienced. I downvoted the fucking thing and dropped it harder than Zeon dropped that colony.

>>29605557
Pony POV, What Princesses Need, Progress, Hands, Waning Moon...
>>
Bum_
>>
_muB
>>
File: deeply sexual.gif (126KB, 220x360px) Image search: [Google]
deeply sexual.gif
126KB, 220x360px
>>29606764
>>
I finished reading Duel Nature
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/31925/duel-nature

This is really two stories in one.

The first half is about Twilight learning combat magic and dueling, and it's shit. Just not written well at all. Everyone is OOC, stuff happens with no buildup, and I can't even tell how old Twilight is supposed to be when she starts dueling.

The second half, about Twilight and Luna doing adventure stuff, is better, but still not great.

One big problem is the wild shift in tone around the middle. It's normal pony adventure stuff, then suddenly some guy gets decapitated, another pony gets burned alive and her head bashed in, and right after that, it goes back to normal pony adventure stuff. Twilight doesn't even bat an eye. What the fuck?

The other problem is that Luna's psychological issues, which were set up in the first half, get resolved way too quickly. I think Eakin wanted to ditch that subplot so he could charge ahead with the adventure stuff. They're gone within the span of less than a chapter, and of course are completely forgotten after that.
>>
>>29608192
Yeah, Duel Nature is regarded by pretty much everyone (including Eaking himself) as one of his weaker works. You can see some of his writing style that he would later improve upon in Hard Reset, but unless you're a huge fan of his work, you're probably better off skipping this one and reading his other stuff.
>>
>>29604190
Note: I'm too lazy to check the story numbers, so I'm making some assumptions about which stories you're talking about.

A Dangerous Sparkle starts out as a pretty interesting DnD-style adventure with lots of action and some interesting character development, but then the author makes some very questionable plot decisions halfway through that make the latter half of the story very meh. Also, it does struggle a bit with the whole "based on Pathfinder thing," with the story being structured like a TTRPG campaign (a series of "quests" with periods of downtime in between for prep and the characters continually "leveling up" and gaining new abilities), which starts to feel very formulaic after a while. Would only recommend if you're really into DnD/Pathfinder.

Dreams and Disasters (The TwiDash one) is okay. The parts of the story about exploring various European-expy countries is pretty interesting and reminds of this old movie my parents liked (I think it was called Roman Holiday or something), and reads exactly like the story of an American exploring Europe, with some pony stuff thrown in for flavor. The romance subplot is absolute garbage and consists of over a 100k words of "cannot spit it out," which is incredibly frustrating. Not the best story, but if you like stories about people from one culture visiting another, you may enjoy it.

Everypony Lives (by Chinchillax) is just pseudo-philosohpical story that I suppose will make first-year philosophy students feel very enlightened when they read it. I would recommend reading Reincarnation of Immortality by the same author instead. It's a little less philosophical, focuses more on characters, and has some pretty entertaining/funny moments.

Babel (assuming it;s the one written by Cold in Gardez) is really short and is written by CiG, which means that it's good and will take you all of five minutes to read. Just read it, then go read everything else by him.
>>
>>29604190
>>29608380
(continued)

Hard Reset 2: Reset Harder is good, and the premise is really interesting and well-executed, but the story seems dead, unfortunately, and it ended on a bit of a cliffhanger. I would wait until it updates again before reading it.

Lost Cities (if it's the CiG one) is, IMO, one of the best stories in the fandom, and one I always recommend to anyone who wants something with substance. It's experimental writing done right, with the "gimmick" of the story (no dialogue, actions, or characters, only descriptions) used to great effect to convey a profound message. I have never had such a visceral reaction to simple descriptions before, and CiG's writing is top-notch as would be expected of him. Definitely read this one.
>>
>>29606764
"s"?
>>
>>29608406
>Hard Reset 2:Reset Harder
is that a brand new thing? I've read the main story abd even the spinoffs, but I can't recall this.
>>
>>29608835
It's a totally separate thing. Same premise (time loop, changelings, canterlot explodes) but with a better time travel mechanic.
>>
>>29608857
Oh man, that sounds good. Don't know if I want to read it since it's unfinished, I don't wanna be blueballed by another story again
>>
>>29608894
I think it's dead, and worse yet, it ended on a cliffhanger, so I definitely recommend waiting to see if the author ever revives it.
>>
>>29608898
Alright, thanks for the heads up. I'll bookmark it and wait for future developments.
>>
>>29608894
>I don't wanna be blueballed by another story again
I will never understand this mentality
>>
>>29608941
You mean you're ok with being lead on by a story only to never find out the ending?

I can understand enjoying the journey as it goes, but never getting to know how a story ends can be pretty frustrating.
>>
>>29608941
Reading an exciting story without closure is worse than reading a shitty story. Not knowing how a story ends and not getting that payoff is painful, because it keeps gnawing at your mind.
>>
>>29608959
>You mean you're ok with being lead on by a story only to never find out the ending?
Yep.

>I can understand enjoying the journey as it goes, but never getting to know how a story ends can be pretty frustrating.
If DOWAS never updated again, I'd be upset about the lack of good scifi to read. But upset about not seeing the ending? Who cares, I can use my imagination.

>>29608978
>Reading an exciting story without closure is worse than reading a shitty story
Holy shit dude, are you serious?

>Not knowing how a story ends and not getting that payoff is painful, because it keeps gnawing at your mind.
Gnawing at YOUR mind, maybe. Meanwhile I have 190 incomplete stories on my shelves and I haven't gone insane just yet.

Actually, serious question here: what about when a good, long fic does end? Does that not also "gnaw at your mind", wanting to see what else might happen next, or just wanting more of those characters and that world?
>>
>>29609049
>wanting to see what else might happen next,
>or just wanting more of those characters and that world?
Those are different situations.

A good story leaves you wanting more, wanting to know what else will happen to those characters now that a chapter of their lives are done. I would have loved to see what the Mane6 will do after Besides the Will of Evil, but I don't 'need' to know because I already got a satisfying ending.

I think it also depends on the type of story. Because imagine a comfy SoL, or maybe an adventure story where you visit several towns and have different experiences there. If I were to read a story like that and then it stops updating, then I wouldn't mind because I got a good experience out of the story, even if I didn't get to see the end.

However, if I'm reading a mystery, or a romance about two characters getting together, or an adventure that builds up to a big conclusion. If I follow a story like that, I want to know how it will end, I want to know if the characters will achieve their goals or not. Not having an ending just robs the reader of that resolution.
>>
File: 413.jpg (3MB, 4000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
413.jpg
3MB, 4000x2000px
I haven't really been in the loop since the end of 2015 or so, and now I'm looking for some good Twifics.
Requirements:

>Twi-centric, or at least heavily featuring her
>complete (or nearing completion, with regular updates)
>good writing (tryhard 16 y/o with a thesaurus != good writing)
>well written and fleshed out characters
>preferably third person, but first is also acceptable
>long (100k+ is a bonus if the pacing is good and the author doesn't drop the ball)

Need not apply:

>second person
>anthro or humanized trash
>crossovers or HiE (unless they're REALLY good)
>autistic lore retcons
>generic fetch adventures or action trash
>cancerous fanon / cameos prominent in the story

Doesn't really matter:

>pre/post coronation
>genre
>setting
>strict adhesion to canon

tl;dr - has something really good popped up (finished) during the last ~2 years that has Twilight in it?
>>
>>29609520
More About Time.
>>
>>29609520
Well, the sequel to " Twilight Sparkle of the Royal Guard" wrapped up in early 2016, so check it out if you haven't:

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/260317/twilight-sparkle-of-the-royal-guard-the-rising

And if you haven't read the original, then shame on you.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/230072/twilight-sparkle-of-the-royal-guard
>>
>>29609520
I can't find any new long Twi fics that started after 2015, but some of the stories you may have been following back in the day have sequels you'll want to check out.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/264005/the-twilight-enigma finally finished updating. If you haven't read this series (which starts with http://www.fimfiction.net/story/141549/the-celestia-code), I greatly recommend it. But if you were around in 2015, then you're probably already familiar with the series.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/260317/twilight-sparkle-of-the-royal-guard-the-rising also came out, which is a sequel to http://www.fimfiction.net/story/230072/twilight-sparkle-of-the-royal-guard, both of which are really good Twilight fics.

I'm about to start reading http://www.fimfiction.net/story/247031/the-mare-who-once-lived-on-the-moon, which I have heard a lot of good things about. Pretty much everyone seems to praise it, so I'd check it out if you're interested in long Twifics.

A little outside your timreframe, but if you haven't read it yet, http://www.fimfiction.net/story/276745/the-diamond-in-the-stars is a really good TwilightxRarity shipfic. Reading the prequel isn't necesary, but the prequel is really good as well and does provide some context for Rarity's backstory.
>>
>>29609703
>I'm about to start reading http://www.fimfiction.net/story/247031/the-mare-who-once-lived-on-the-moon
It's funny, I finished reading that yesterday.
All the bad aspects it has are vastly outnumbered by the good. And the prose in some of the earlier chapters is top notch.
Seriously, though, Spoilers ahead: I wished Numbers had taken his time to properly develop the romance between Twilight and Luna. It's about two chapters of Twi seeing her wander around in the moon before being immediately smitten by her. Also the final confrontation with the Nightmare was reaaaally rushed. Like, one scene that while interesting, isn't developed to its fullest.

Still, it's probably amongst the best stories I've read this year.
>>
>>29609612

Thanks, looks interesting.

>>29609674

Read the original, and from what I recall about it it was bordering on "autistic lore retcon," but I finished it so I couldn't have been that bad.
I think I even started on the sequel, but didn't get very far into it.

>>29609703

The Celestia Code was great, but every sequel got progressively worse (it's one of the few series I finished so far after getting back to pone).
Enigma was already just milking it and I fully expect The Skyla Pseudonym to be nothing but hot garbage.

Will check out the rest, thanks.
>>
>>29606083
>>Giv IC
>What did he mean by this?

Give thicc

Voice has excellent taste in women
>>
File: 1288039.png (2MB, 3840x3840px) Image search: [Google]
1288039.png
2MB, 3840x3840px
Are there any fics where the ponies commit genocide on an industrial scale? Preferably with emphasis on the violence and death.

I'd also like the protagonists to be the ponies, since ridding the world of untermenschen would be in-keeping with the show's idealistic message of love and friendship.
>>
>>29610329

You need to go back.
>>
>>29600630
You're in PST time, right?

I'm usually home about 5 pm PST.
>>
>>29608380
Thanks anon, I'm going to check out "A Dangerous Sparkle". I really enjoyed https://www.fimfiction.net/story/2857/mystaras-little-ponies-friendship-is-adventuring which is another fic that's structured like an RPG campaign.
>>
>>29610329
Why not remove derr üntermensch by outbreeding them with a superior race?
>>
>>29610329
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/212694/splinterwood
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/197090/celestias-relaxing-vacation

I need to read more fics. I feel like there has to be more out there. Of course, if you really want it done right you need to write it yourself; or at least commission it.

Vraddock still hasn't posted the chapter he mentions at https://www.fimfiction.net/story/289533/race-of-her-life#comment/6432944 , but he's taking commissions. It might be more up headless_rainbow's alley, though.
>>
>>29608380
>but then the author makes some very questionable plot decisions halfway through that make the latter half of the story very meh
Welcome to a david silver story. That guy has all kinds of fun and interesting ideas that he constantly ruins with stupid ideas and forcing the plot to go in directions it doesnt need to
>>
>>29608978
>is worse than reading a shitty story
I disagree. I'd much rather read a great fanfic that I'll always remember, but it not be finished (Rafiki's Tales: Sunset, Night's Favoured Child), then to grind through something that's mediocre and I'll forget about within days that's complete.

>>29610329
There's Splinterwood (https://www.fimfiction.net/story/212694/splinterwood), which is literally a ponified version of the Wannsee Conference. Don't expect it to ever update.
>>
File: 1237764.png (307KB, 2000x2415px) Image search: [Google]
1237764.png
307KB, 2000x2415px
>>29612524
Thanks.

I still have dreams of a world where the NSDAP won World War Two. Where good prevailed for once. It's a goddamn shame that people hate them just because they evacuated a few subversives from their occupied territories.

Hopefully, Donald Trump will raise Generation Z into the stormtroopers for western civilization that they were meant to be. Then, I might live to see the swastika flown over the white house, with every kike incinerated in a maelstrom of fire, and every degenerate lines up against a wall, their blood and brains a pretty painting on President Trump's canvas of brick and mortar, their screams become the Wagner of the 21st century. What a glorious age that Donald Trump will usher in. This great nation will be cleansed in holy flames; the tree of liberty will be nourished with the blood of parasites.

Sorry for the rant. I'm a little tipsy atm.
>>
>>29612645
I'd rather you rant about Aryanne's superior offspring and how they're pushing out all the subraces.
>>
File: 1335322.png (533KB, 5008x6192px) Image search: [Google]
1335322.png
533KB, 5008x6192px
>>29612665
I'll do it when she has offspring to rant about, anon.
>>
>>29612665
>mudpone
>superior
its like youre not even trying anymore
>>
>>29612645
>Hopefully, Donald Trump will raise Generation Z into the stormtroopers for western civilization that they were meant to be. Then, I might live to see the swastika flown over the white house, with every kike incinerated in a maelstrom of fire, and every degenerate lines up against a wall, their blood and brains a pretty painting on President Trump's canvas of brick and mortar, their screams become the Wagner of the 21st century. What a glorious age that Donald Trump will usher in. This great nation will be cleansed in holy flames; the tree of liberty will be nourished with the blood of parasites.
You're a faggot. But beyond that it is literally hilarious when you realize that this is literally what all of the liberal snowflakes literally believe is literally going to happen any day now.
Literally
>>
>>29612698
Then let's make some.
>>
File: 1374720.jpg (617KB, 2894x4093px) Image search: [Google]
1374720.jpg
617KB, 2894x4093px
>>29612725
Liberals are subhuman animals.

>>29612726
I would, but I can't draw. Or make decent vectors for that matter. But maybe someone out there in the void of cyberspace likes Aryanne and would draw her some children.

But then, who would be the father?
>>
>>29612733
I didn't know you could breed a new generation by drawing them. I thought you had to fuck like animals.
>>
File: 1287667.png (228KB, 1737x2401px) Image search: [Google]
1287667.png
228KB, 1737x2401px
>>29612741
I would penetrate her harder than the Wehrmacht penetrated the Maginot Line. If she were real. Which, she's not, unfortunately.
>>
File: pretend.png (22KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
pretend.png
22KB, 370x370px
>>29612747
We can always pretend.
>>
File: 1206607.jpg (848KB, 2000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1206607.jpg
848KB, 2000x1200px
>>29612750
ERP is degenerate.

And I'm awful at writing smut.
>>
>>29612765
Have you even given it a whirl? I could narrate.
>>
File: 1181336.png (4MB, 6000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1181336.png
4MB, 6000x5000px
>>29612777
Only in trollfics. I never wrote anything that was meant to be erotic in any way. But you can narrate this one you want.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/343662/a-heated-discussion

How it managed to break one thousand views is beyond me.
>>
File: I've done it before enough times.png (388KB, 5467x3758px) Image search: [Google]
I've done it before enough times.png
388KB, 5467x3758px
>>29612786
Why not try ERP, then? I could even play Aryanne for you.
>>
File: 1172017.png (502KB, 6356x4501px) Image search: [Google]
1172017.png
502KB, 6356x4501px
>>29612802
ERP is just too autistic for me, sorry. There are some lines even I won't cross.
>>
File: he's done worse, too.png (374KB, 4961x4961px) Image search: [Google]
he's done worse, too.png
374KB, 4961x4961px
>>29612825
What's so autistic about it? It's just porn in written form - smut, tailored to suit you just as you want in real time.
Hitler's probably done it.
>>
File: 1119962.png (310KB, 2127x2605px) Image search: [Google]
1119962.png
310KB, 2127x2605px
>>29612831
Roleplay is autistic. MLP is autistic. Smut is autistic. 4chan is autistic. So, that's already quadruple autism.

Plus, with my fetishes, it'd probably look more like a torture fic than a clop fic. Might not be your cup of tea.
>>
>>29612841
I've been around. How can you know someone won't like them if you don't list them?
>>
File: 1083958.png (741KB, 7000x8000px) Image search: [Google]
1083958.png
741KB, 7000x8000px
>>29612845
People generally dislike sadism. Those big red bars on my torture fics can attest to that.
>>
>>29612856
I have a liking for some sadism, but even then, give me specifics, not in general. Sadism is a very broad term.
>>
>ITT: avatarfagging
>>
>>29612879
Post Fimfiction and it stops. It's just a creative way of bumping in dead hours.
>>
File: 1072144.png (159KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1072144.png
159KB, 1000x1000px
>>29612867
Caning, whipping, humiliation (especially public), disembowlment, electroshock, bloodplay, bondage, slavery, impalement.

I really like blood. The look, the smell, the taste, everything.

>>29612879
Hey, it's keeping this wasteland of a thread off page ten, isn't it?
>>
>>29612884
I've done at least half of those at one time or another. I don't see where's the issue.
>>
>>29612887
The issue is I don't know why on God's shitty earth you're so insistent on this anyway.
>>
>>29612891
Because I'm having fun, and would have even more fun pretending to be a cartoon pony nazi.
>>
>>29612895
I guess it would be fun. Though, I'd need a few more drinks first so I can forget how utterly autistic this is. I wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place if I didn't have any.

And I don't want to give out my Discord ID on /fimfic/. I'm not exactly well-liked around these parts.
>>
>>29612882
bumping requires one post every 2-6 hours as needed. youre just shitting up the thread
>>
>>29612903
>discord
>not Tox
Lightweight.
And if you get a Tox in a matter of minutes, you can always just drop it right after. Like a disposable email.
>>
>>29612904
Just as planned.

>>29612907
I still don't know. ERP is degenerate as fuck, but I do like torturing pastel horsies.
>>
>>29612925
You've said it yourself. You're autistic enough to get yourself banned by posting on a site dedicated to fanfiction for a specific variety of cartoon horse. I'd say ERP is less degenerate than that.
>>
File: 1071200.png (452KB, 3000x3850px) Image search: [Google]
1071200.png
452KB, 3000x3850px
>>29612934
That was more Memester's incredible incompetence than anything I ever really did, but you do nevertheless have a point.

I'll mull it over at a time when I'm not drunk and groggy. I'll probably have come to a decision the next time I go Aryanneposting on /fimfic/
>>
>>29612945
You could also mitigate the flood of Aryanneposting by doing this in private. Like over said Tox.
>>
>>29612946
>implying I care about /fimfic/ getting shat up
Honestly, they're lucky they're not getting flooded with Nyx,
>>
>>29612957
Oh shit, you've summoned him.
>>
>>29612645
>>29612733
>>29612747
>>29612765
>>29612884
>>29612903
>Can't draw and has no will to improve
>Awful at writing and has no will to improve
>Worships, and wants to miscegenate with, imaginary horses from a cartoon created by a feminist to sell toys for Jews
>Has a laundry list of degenerate fetishes and has no will to resist indulging them
>Probable alcoholic

You sure you'll just be *watching* these glorious purges of yours?

>>29612786
Ah, it's you. I think I had you on my Read It Later list (didn't you have a straight adventure story up at one point?), before I saw some of your posts and decided to save my time for writers better able to hide their powerlevel.
>>
>>29612747

>I would penetrate her harder than the Wehrmacht penetrated the Maginot Line

So, you'd bypass it completely in favor of invading a lightly defended further north territory which was deemed unlikely to be a target?

I kinda doubt your nazi waifu is into surprise anal. Though I'd love to read a story about her strapping on a dildo and marching it through Fleur de Lis's Ardennes, then after rough buttsex curling up between Fleur's hindlegs to claim the twin territories of Alsace and Lorraine if you know what I meanI'm talking about crotchtits
>>
Jesus Christ, Legionfag, you're one autistic motherfucker.
>>
File: tumblr_nx9n4sHQBT1uuyy36o1_250.gif (2MB, 250x360px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nx9n4sHQBT1uuyy36o1_250.gif
2MB, 250x360px
>>29612747
>Wehraboos are this clueless of history
Shocker.
>>
So, horsewords.
Are you working on anything, or reading an interesting story?
>>
>>29613739
Currently on chapter 15 of https://www.fimfiction.net/story/238523/a-dangerous-sparkle. Premise is that Twilight fucks up a spell and she and Spike get sucked into the world of the Ponyfinder RPG.

It's okay so far but seems kind of directionless. Twilight and Spike are training, but not for any particular reason, just trying to "git gud so we don't git rekt" because the Pathfinder world is more dangerous than Equestria. Supposedly Twilight is trying to learn enough Pathfinder-style magic that they can teleport back home, but that was mentioned once 15,000 words ago and since then she's just been learning typical D&D Fireball and shit. I'm hoping a villain shows up, or Twilight gets word about an important book, or something like that just to get the plot moving in any direction.

In related news, Vancian magic continues to make no sense whatsoever in written fiction.
>>
>>29613739

I'm writing a fic for the writeoff right now, but it's original fiction, so I doubt anyone here cares.

Also, I've been working on it for two days and only have about 700 words which I didn't delete as soon as I went back and reread them. I've written at least 5000 total words this weekend, and almost all of them were garbage. Gods, I hate that feeling.
>>
>>29614195
>not just leaving them where they are
You'll just get deadlocked in that state forever if you don't keep on writing. Rewrite them later, when you'll have a more concrete idea of what you want to do with it. Foresight is 20/20, especially if you can change what you've said before.
>>
>>29614195
>I'm writing a fic for the writeoff right now
Hey, you too?
Cool I hope you get to submit something.
>>
>>29614212

Eh, it doesn't bother me too much if I don't get a lot of writing done. It's not like there's any reward for churning out more horsewords, except for horsefame, and that's not a big motivator for me. I feel a lot more comfortable being quick with the delete key, even if it's inefficient.

>>29614213

I hope I do, too. Good luck to you!
>>
>>29614261
>It's not like there's any reward for churning out more horsewords
What about the satisfaction of knowing you told a story?
>>
>>29614295

I find I enjoy it more when I'm not consumed by the wracking fear that I've just put my name to something so abominably stupid, insipid, or trite that my words will never be taken seriously again.

Which may not exactly be a rational thought, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't consume me whenever I contemplate publishing something. I often get drunk after I finish a story, not to celebrate, but because I find it easier to share what I've written once my inhibitions are lowered.
>>
>>29613739
Not writing. In reading, largely between interesting stories as far as Fimfiction goes. Hoping for updates to the 7 on my Tracked list, but not expecting any soon.
>>
>>29613739
I'm reading Malus by Dan Abnett instead of writing horsefiction.
>>
File: jan3.png (5KB, 295x95px) Image search: [Google]
jan3.png
5KB, 295x95px
>no DOWAS update in 5 months
>no blog post about it in 2 months
fug
>>
>>29614450
I wonder what proportion, if any, of stories and other projects have ever updated again after an "I'm not dead!" post. I'd pay money for a collage.
>>
>>29614183
The story never really finds its direction; the quest arcs just get longer and tie into the next arc a little better, making it seem like there's a central plot when there really isn't. You also haven't encountered the greatest mistake the author makes in the story; don't worry, you'll know it when you see it.

Vancian magic doesn't make sense outside of a "video gamey" setting and I always thought it was the weakest part of trying to tell an actual story in DnD instead of treating it as just an MMORPG in pen-and-paper form.
>>
>>29614624
>the greatest mistake the author makes in the story
as in some kind of error, or the plotline goes full retard?
>>
>>29613739
I just cut two thousand words from my story since I ran into writer's block and realized the scene I was writing was fundamentally flawed. I've rewritten it and it seems to be working, so that's nice. I also finally hit the 60k word mark, and it looks like I might actually finish this story before it hits 120k words.

I finally finished The Twilight Enigma. It's quite different from The Celestia Code and The Luna Cypher, and I'm not a fan of the back-and-forth time jumps, but it was an entertaining read and The Skyla Pseudonym looks promising.
>>
>>29614667
The latter.

Spoiler: He decides to include his friend's super special snowflake edgy OC as a major character and basically treats him in the same way /tg/ portrays most GMPCs.
>>
>>29614624
>You also haven't encountered the greatest mistake the author makes in the story; don't worry, you'll know it when you see it.
I'm not going to read the story myself just to try and spot it. Please just tell us.
>>
>>29614693

See >>29614691. Also, said OC is also autistic. Like literally autistic, not 4chan autistic, though he's that too.
>>
>>29614691
>The latter.
Not unexpected.

I really want to like david silver. He writes fairly well and can come up with some interesting ideas.

Unfortunately just as it starts getting good, every thing he writes goes completely off the rails and veers off into fucktarded territory that completely ruins it
>>
>>29614624
>The story never really finds its direction; the quest arcs just get longer and tie into the next arc a little better, making it seem like there's a central plot when there really isn't.
So, do they ever start making an effort to get home, or do they just fuck around doing random quests all year long? Because Twilight just got access to a huge magical library and instead of going straight to the "extraplanar travel" section, she's reading up on magical rings.

>Vancian magic doesn't make sense outside of a "video gamey" setting
Yep. "Oh, I memorized these magical words and gestures this morning, but as soon as I use them, I completely forget how they're supposed to go. Unless, of course, I memorized the same words and gestures TWICE, into two different parts of my memory (somehow...)" Uh, what the fuck?
>>
>>29615196
They manage to get back to Equestria around 2/3rds of the way through the story, and from then on travel between worlds becomes relatively simple IIRC. Right before they figure out how to get back something major crops up (Twilight dies) that forces them to return to Everglow and keep questing (They need to revive her).
>>
>>29614213

In case you're still around and in case you for some reason care, I just passed the 2k word mark and am on the penultimate scene, so it looks like I'll be in this round. Hope your story's coming together, too.

/blog
>>
>>29613739
Looks like Silver Glow's Journal is finally ending. Thank god, near a million words of simplistic writing and since the whole story is read like that, it got old for me pretty quick.
Now the author can go back to the good shit, Onto Pony Planet is legitimately interesting and is one of the best drawn out First Contact stories I've read.
>>
>>29616547
>Silver Glow's Journal is finally ending
Yep, the chapter tonight should cover her return to Equestria, then maybe an epilogue and after that it's over. Fucking finally. I'll miss the daily dose of cute ponies, but it's not worth having only one OTPP update per year.

>near a million words
I can't believe that absolute madman got to the point of doing 4k-5k chapters every single day. He started out doing 1k chapters which is at least borderline reasonable. 5k is just crazy. The overall average chapter length for Collegepone is actually longer than for any of the Austraeoh books, aside from the most recent one.
>>
>>29616384
Good to know!

My entry is probably going to end up being a little over 3k words once it's done.

Wish you the best.
>>
write me a reason to continue writing then give me a story idea and I will write it.
>>
>>29617071
It's a story about a haemophilic equine and his endless struggle to write quality fiction.
>>
>>29617071
>write me a reason to continue writing
No matter how terrible the end result is, you'll still be better than a sizeable chunk of FiMFiction.
>>
File: 1486419283899.png (851KB, 1083x623px) Image search: [Google]
1486419283899.png
851KB, 1083x623px
>>29617071
do it faget
>>
>>29617092
too close mate.
>>29617096
that is so nice. story idea?
>>29617100
do what?
>>
>>29617115
>story idea?
A deep story about the nature of Friendship that really plays off the idiosincracies of the M6, where they all learn more about themselves and their place in the world.

Conversely, just write a cute SoL shipfic about any ship you like.
>>
>>29617132
>idiosincracies
>>
>>29617132
>>29617132
ok, doing
>>
>>29617148
Cut me some slack, it's been my first week of work and I'm exhausted.
And my shift starts in twelve hours.
>>
>>29613411
I'm fairly certain I was being facetious about wanting to fuck Aryanne. Though you're right about me being an alcoholic. It makes me retarded. I should cut back on it.
>>
>>29617115
it
>>
>>29617170
>I was being facetious about wanting to fuck Aryanne
And there goes the one thing about you that I respected.
>>
>>29617164
What kind of job do you have Zaid?
>>
File: 649129.png (279KB, 3000x2362px) Image search: [Google]
649129.png
279KB, 3000x2362px
>>29617199
>>
>>29617200
Heh... That obvious?

I'm a construction site manager. I have to go around all the apartments in a building making sure all the workers are doing their job. And arguing with contractors for arriving late and taking too long to do their work. And making sure the owner stays happy with the progress.

It's tiring as hell, but I love it. Plus, I have several breaks throughout the day where I get to do some writing, it's awesome.
>>
File: 889283.png (119KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
889283.png
119KB, 800x800px
>>29617199
>>29617200
>>29617222
>>
>>29617229
>It's tiring as hell, but I love it

That's all that matters really. Seems much better than staying in studies.
>>
>>29617229
>That obvious?
I wouldn't say it was obvious, I just had an inkling. Guess it comes from spending so much time here.

That job sounds nice, I hope it works out well for you.
>>
>>29617271
>Seems much better than staying in studies.
In some aspects it is. But I must admit I do want to work in actual design at some point.

And hell, with enough experience under my belt I may actually get around writing that story where Twilight saves Equestria through the power of Urban Planning sometime.
>>
>>29556586
What's going to happen when we reach 100%?
>>
>>29617614
One of Bleeding's stories will get featured.
>>
>>29617614
The same thing that happened last time we hit 100%.
>>
>>29617614
Your favourite fics will update again, Bleeding will make it into the Royal Canterlot Library, Regidar will be happy, TSG will find work at a laundromat, and knighty will fix all the bugs in the site.
>>
>>29617614
We meet up at an undisclosed location in international waters and have a big gay orgy.
>>
>>29617614
We reset to 1%
>>
>>29617614
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c55PtTyvfE4
>>
>>29617614
Voicey makes more money
>>
>>29617614
Decanus gets replaced by a more honest, committed and respectable Aryanneposter.
>>
>>29617614
We will write a collaborative fic.
>>
>>29618212
It still hurts...
; _ ;
>>
>>29618212
Ha, like that's ever going to happen.
>>
>>29616802
To me, the feeling over Silver Glow never reached beyond: Silver Glow does something, then writes about it in a very 'and then we did this or so and so said that'.
Even during the whole love triangle thing she talks about it in such boring tones, her perspective is boring basically. Her interacting with horses was the only interesting part.
>>
tage pen
>>
File: Abbuhlshuq.jpg (99KB, 1180x585px) Image search: [Google]
Abbuhlshuq.jpg
99KB, 1180x585px
Stuff happened and I haven't read this general in.... about nine months now.
What did I miss? Did Bleedin write something serviceable? Pic related never happened, right? Did we get another Insufferable?
>>29618222
;_;
>>
>>29619975
We have some Aryanneposter who's been shitting up the few last threads, which some anons believe to be Decanus.
>>
>>29620135

Aryanne did nothing wrong, but all Aryanne posters should be subject to a "delousing".
>>
>>29620135
>some anons believe

>>29612786
>>
>>29619975
To this day I remain thoroughly amused that someone actually saved my artwork.

maybe i need to start up a patreon. that seems to be the thing to do for talentless hacks that gain the slightest glimmer of interest from another person
>>
What ever happened to that big writing collab anyway? I'm sure at least one person finished their addition.
>>
File: Aryanne Mein Kampf.png (446KB, 3000x2720px) Image search: [Google]
Aryanne Mein Kampf.png
446KB, 3000x2720px
>>29617238
>>29617222
>>29612945
>>29612884

Aryanne Thread is up >>29620664
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1966x800px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1966x800px
that is a heaping helping of concentrated autism
>>
>>29620952
oh good. you can go shit up a different thread now
>>
>>29621303
Looks about as thick as Stephen King's Dreamcatcher.

I wonder if they bothered printing any information on dust jacket's flaps.
>>
>>29621557
dunno. his blog post only shows varying angles of the front
>>
>>29621578
Well, I can kind of tell that the back flap is just the cover picture. You can see that from the photo.
>>
File: 1337624351651.png (97KB, 357x368px) Image search: [Google]
1337624351651.png
97KB, 357x368px
Jesus fuck the thread sure went places while I was at work.
Do you think maybe I could get an extra reply or two to >>29609520 since it kind of went under after the avatarfag stormbaby started to shitpost?
>>
>>29621861
I've honestly got nothing. I even looked at my Calibre library and my Read It Later list; absolutely no decent-looking completed non-clop stories over 100,000 words featuring Twilight and started after 2015.

(To be fair, I'm probably not one to ask, since I haven't looked at new fics or discussions much during that time.)
>>
>>29620952
I don't know which is the saddest, the thread being a thing or it being taken seriously.
>>
Have you written today, Anon?
>>
>>29623279
No, but to be fair it's just 2:40 AM.
>>
>>29623279
No, but to be fair its only 10:19 PM
>>
File: sgj.png (18KB, 431x180px) Image search: [Google]
sgj.png
18KB, 431x180px
What the fuck is Biscuit doing
>>
>>29624179
wtf is ice moon? and why isnt that shit done yet?
>>
>>29556586
What happened to that banner that used to be at the top of fimfiction?
>>
>>29608894
Don't do it, I love that story and i am currently blueballed af by it
>>
File: Mrbones.png (111KB, 219x229px) Image search: [Google]
Mrbones.png
111KB, 219x229px
>>29624179
>>
>>29624421
...Knighty got rid of it? Not sure what answer you want.
>>
>>29624647
No it's fine I just have this memory of a seasonal banner with ponies at the top of fimfiction. Wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not.
>>
I'd like to commission a 150,000~ word Adventure/SoL fic about my OC, and I'm willing to pay $1200 for it, over the course of six months. I'm willing to go higher if need be, just reply to me with your username so that I view a sample of your work and so that I may message you and discuss ideas and payment should I find your writing style suitable.

I'm not posting my OC or the plot ideas I have for the story here because I don't want to be ridiculed for them. Thank you.
>>
>>29624727
Bleedingequine
>>
>>29624662
http://archive.is/http://www.fimfiction.net/
>>
>>29624727
Why are you posting here rather than looking for authors offering commissions on Fimfiction or elsewhere?

Also: have you considered headless_rainbow?
>>
>>29624989
I'll check on that author, but I didn't know there are authors offering commissions on fimfiction, as I've never seen anyone offering it. And I'm asking here before anywhere else because I lurk /mlp/ more than any other place.
>>
>>29613739
I keep getting bit by the inspiration bug and starting new stories without doing enough on the others.
I'm pretty happy with the one I just started though.
Reverse Trap Pinkie Pie. Juggling hilarious romcom misunderstandings with bleak psychological horror that I hope doesn't get too edgy.

>>29614183
>In related news, Vancian magic continues to make no sense whatsoever in written fiction.

Anyone who ever writes D&D fiction should be forced at knife-point to read The Dying Earth so they understand what the fuck is even supposed to be going on.
>>
>>29617229
>not writing a story about Twilight hiring contractors to fix the treebrary and having to deal with poor bidding, cost overruns, and Ponyville pulling permits

>>29617614
We reboot back to 1% like we already did once.

>>29618212
RIP Superstorm
RIP Encyclopedia

>>29619975
The collab's ripping in pieces because we're all lazy. Bleedin still struggles and quit for a few months before realizing he can't escape the fanfic ride. Decanus, the guy that wanted help with his cover art, returned and became power armor anon after his "Lightning Dust is a mercenary in power armor and Equestria's in a resource war over iron with nazi alicorns" fic was argued about for three threads. He then became a shitposter on Fimfiction before being banned.

>>29620948
I had great difficulty writing a story outline that included Applejack in any meaningful way. This, coupled with doubts over the success/plot of such an ambitious project, led to it dying.
>>
>>29625476
We should just have put the line "And Applejack is here too.", once in every chapter, and otherwise ignored her. It would work out fine.
>>
>>29625476
Nine months aftrr the fact I still argue againsy the need to have every character do something meaningful at large. It's a stupid trapping of the hero myth.
Hell, AJ's arc could be about struggling with her own inutility in this scenario while providing emotional support to the others.
>>
New collab idea: w3write a five minutes long event from a diferent pov each. We decide the events (like a mall exploding, and how and why it happened) internally and leave the readers to reconstruct from the limited information.
We should be able to manage 1k words each
>>
>>29625645
>a mall exploding
>>
>>29625692
Well we obviously cant have anything cutesy or fun like ants at a picnic, gitta have that blood and gore to keep decanusequine interested
>>
>>29625784
>>29625692
Have I stumbled onto one of those newfangled memes that popped up while I was gone?
O used,that example because the five minutes leading to it could be filked with subplots with a variety of themes and genres.
>>
>>29625476
Don`t forget the dead sister episode.
>>
>>29625634
You know what, that's actually a really good idea.
>>
>>29625258
>Anyone who ever writes D&D fiction should be forced at knife-point to read The Dying Earth so they understand what the fuck is even supposed to be going on.

Yeah, exactly. Vancian magic isn't so much memorizing a set of syllables as it is forcing something into your head that really ought not be there.
>>
File: file.png (121KB, 906x584px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
121KB, 906x584px
>>29625921
He tries so very hard to be edgy.
>>
>>29624403
>wtf is ice moon?
She's back in Equestria so the dates are measured by the Equestrian calendar now.

>and why isnt that shit done yet?
That is exactly my question. The ending of the last chapter sounds pretty final, so I can't imagine what's left to write.
>>
page 10
>>
Is it shitposting time?
>>
>>29627274
it is never not time to shitpost
>>
>>29627596
Especially when he committed suicide.
>>
File: 1250488.jpg (366KB, 3840x3425px) Image search: [Google]
1250488.jpg
366KB, 3840x3425px
>>29627604
He was too good for this world.
>>
File: 1261305.png (2MB, 3840x2149px) Image search: [Google]
1261305.png
2MB, 3840x2149px
Oy vey the hotpockets are running loose again.

btw any good fanfics about aryanne? There's about a 10% chance I'll read the whole thing.
>>
File: 1488819585931.png (757KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1488819585931.png
757KB, 750x1000px
I just found this on the Aryanne thread and thought you guys would appreciate it.

Don't let your dreams be dreams. Go kick a planet in half, dumblecop of the darkmeal. You deserve to see vampire cavemen on mars.
>>
Is your sister dead yet, Decanus?
>>
File: 1190375.jpg (107KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1190375.jpg
107KB, 750x750px
I'd prefer if the story wasn't smut, thank you. I don't like lewd horsewords.

Maybe your suggestion will get me to change my mind, but that's a very big maybe.
>>
When coming up with ideas, or sometimes even when reading stories, do you guys get hung up on "justifying" the existence of this fic as a derivative work?

In much less clumsy terms, what I'm talking about are the times when a story doesn't really have any elements that necessitates the tie-in to MLP. It doesn't share the show's tone, characters or story, and could just as well have been a piece of original fiction.
On the rare occasions when I start reading something and I get the impression that this will be one of those fics, I almost always drop it (though that can be for other reasons primarily), and when I'm coming up with stories I sometimes stop and wonder why I'm envisioning this as fanfiction when in reality it's just a vehicle for me to tell a story about something original I've made up.

Is it weird that I tend to get hung up on this, or is it something others feel as well?
>>
>>29627981

As a writer, not usually. If my idea works better as original fiction, I write it as original fiction; if it works better as horsewords, I write it as horsewords.

As a fanfic reader, I don't really mind non-pony stuff, but I hate anti-pony stuff. The difference to me is that non-pony stuff could be written as original fiction and it wouldn't make much difference, where anti-pony stuff would be much better as original fiction.

For example, a SoL fic about Rarity and Sweetie Belle snuggling by a fire and drinking cocoa? Probably non-pony, because that could be two regular human sisters and it'd be just as good or bad a fic.

A story about Granny Smith having a stroke and AJ being forced to take her off life support so that the family isn't bankrupted by the medical bills? That's pretty damn anti-pony, in that it'd make much more sense to talk about someone in the real world facing that dilemma than a pony in the magical land of Equestria. Never mind that it warps AJ's character, too.

So yeah, non-pony's kosher, anti-pony's better being written as original fiction.
>>
>>29627981
Here's my perspective as a reader. If you write a story that's effectively set in modern-day America, except all the humans are replaced with ponies, then I have a lot fewer reasons to read your fic. It has to be good, not just be "okay, but it's got cute ponies doing cute things" or "okay, but it's got a nice fantasy setting with pones" or "okay, but the author has interesting headcanons".

I've never written fiction in my life, so feel free to tell me that I'm full of shit, but - when you're putting together the story idea, it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to adjust things to add some "definitively pony-related" elements. Tweak some of the problems your characters face, and the solutions they come up with, into forms that only make sense in Equestria. Even if it's only a subplot, it should help tie the story to the world of Equestria
>>
>>29627981
As another reader, if your story doesn't share the world or characters with the show, I'm dropping it. It's fanfiction for a reason and the fact something in you wants you to stop writing shitty stories shoehorned into ponies is good.
>>
>>29628215
I can see that, and I definitely agree.

The reason I think I've become more aware of how appropriate for the medium a fanfiction story is comes from going over old notes and seeing that very many of my older outlines weren't fundamentally tied to the MLP universe. Now that the initial attachment I have to those ideas has faded, I no longer feel any real reason to really write them as fanfiction.
Plus I read too many short shitfics, which tend to be what you'd call anti-pony.

There's a difference between an original story with MLP elements transplanted into it and a story about MLP characters and concepts with something foreign transplanted into it. And I'm mostly kind of wondering how important people think such a distinction is, if it even really exists.

>>29628281
What kind of connection to Equestria do you think is the most important?
Places, characters and events, or more abstract things like tone and themes?

Would you read something that happens in Equestria and has all the characters, but is a vastly different kind of story with a much darker tone?
Would you read something that basically takes place in an AU (or something close to it), with a wildly original and strange Equestria, but with stories and a tone close to the show?
I know these questions are kind of vague, but I hope you get what I mean.
>>
>>29628368

Different anon here.

Physical connection is irrelevant, since you can basically go into any unrelated story and replace human vocabulary with pony terms. By extension, even places are irrelevant. What matters is that the story has a direct and essential link to canon events (Which include places and characters), even if it means modifying it and its tone heavily. The main word here is essential, so that the story does not make sense if you remove its canon character, places or events.

Even then, the amount of changes has some limit, but that's up to the reader to decide when is too much. In my opinion, if you can't replace all of the characters with non-MLP related ones, say humans, then the story is related enough to the universe.

1) Just fine, unless the author goes super edgy. The community is mostly adults working on a kid's cartoon after all, so it's logical they might make it a bit more cynical.

2) Depends. If it's basically a totally different universe with the MLP tone, then acknowledging it would be the same as saying the Care Bears are MLP fanfiction.
>>
>>29628402
Meant to say pure physical connection.

And as an after note for tone, it varies wildly based on a writer's life experience, so you can't judge a story's relevancy based on that.
>>
>>29628402
>2) Depends. If it's basically a totally different universe with the MLP tone, then acknowledging it would be the same as saying the Care Bears are MLP fanfiction.

Let me reword it then:
Let's say the story takes place in Equestria, but at a different time and place than the show. Perhaps it takes place in the Frozen North, before the migration southwards, and before any of the characters from the Hearth's Warming Eve play are even born.
There's ponies, griffons, dragons and all that stuff, but there's no familiar characters, places or events. The ponies also have a somewhat different culture and behaviour. Despite this, the tone and type of story is similar to the show, and it incorporates the same themes of friendship, reformation, inherent good and those things one could find in the show.

It's in Equestria, it has ponies that (mostly) act like ponies, and at the end of the day everyone ends up as friends. It just doesn't have any other elements of that we'd consider to be canon.

Would that be sufficiently MLP related, and would it be something you'd want to read?
>>
>>29628368
>What kind of connection to Equestria do you think is the most important?
Worldbuilding. If you can convince me that your characters are actually members of a civilization made up of friendly little horsies, then I don't care that they aren't canon characters in canon locations. Have them work at the weather factory, buy an enchanted crystal lamp, or make an appointment to visit the farrier. That kind of thing.

>Would you read something that happens in Equestria and has all the characters, but is a vastly different kind of story with a much darker tone?
>Would you read something that basically takes place in an AU (or something close to it), with a wildly original and strange Equestria, but with stories and a tone close to the show?
Yes to both. Though like I said before, the fewer pony-related aspects the story has, the more it has to make up with other strengths.
>>
>>29628452
If it happens in Equestria but with different events, I'd call it an AU and be ok with it.

If it's basically rebuilding Equestria as the author wants it, I'd call it a rewrite and be done with it.

That's what I think about reading them. About them being related? Of course, both are related enough to the Equestrian canon, as long as you can't just swap the ponies with humans and still have a perfectly fine story.
>>
Bump limit reached.

Create new thread.
>>
>>29628485
>this early
We're still on page 2, and /mlp/ is pretty slow.
>>
File: 1142375.png (1MB, 792x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1142375.png
1MB, 792x1200px
>>29627604
>>29627615
...Post's deleted now. Someone committed suicide?
>>
File: yuo of happy kurts.jpg (76KB, 445x581px) Image search: [Google]
yuo of happy kurts.jpg
76KB, 445x581px
>>29628492
>mfw

Not him
>>
Remember to post a link
>>
>>29628527
no
>>
>>29628556
Why not, It's simply >>number or is that too difficult to do?
>>
>>29628588
Ok, but just because you asked.
We're still in page 5, though.
>>
Page 7. Anyone get started on the next thread?
>>
>>29628796
Fine, I'll do it.
>>
>>29557409
Probably.
>>
nü thred
>>29628927
>>29628927
>>29628927
>>29628927
Thread posts: 511
Thread images: 101

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.