[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are generals a problem on this board? This is the only board

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 17

File: 1459009969723.png (298KB, 447x413px) Image search: [Google]
1459009969723.png
298KB, 447x413px
Are generals a problem on this board? This is the only board I go on that doesn't seem to limit them at all, and as is usually the case when generals get out of hand....there seems to be just a handful of repetitive threads that cater to small groups on the board or specific fetishes and get bumped forever often with little purpose and often no discussion only to be immediately recreated as soon as they are gone, leaving the rest of the board to be fairly dead
>>
>>29040443
Yeah, generals are a terrible problem. Every general is a wasted slot that could be used to shitpost glimglam. Now we can only have like 40 Glimmer shitpost threads because all those fucking generals are clogging up the board.
>>
>>29040443

They grow up, they shitpost, they wither, and eventually they die. They're not that much of a problem. We can always hide threads that suck.
>>
File: 1460435569239.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1460435569239.gif
2MB, 640x360px
>>
File: Adorkable.png (359KB, 1024x1229px) Image search: [Google]
Adorkable.png
359KB, 1024x1229px
>>29040464
>>
File: 1477710360694.png (564KB, 1400x764px) Image search: [Google]
1477710360694.png
564KB, 1400x764px
>>
File: Sparkly.gif (178KB, 520x492px) Image search: [Google]
Sparkly.gif
178KB, 520x492px
Sparkly Sparkle...
>>
File: 1464085376170.png (3MB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1464085376170.png
3MB, 1200x1600px
Book horse a cute.
>>
>>29040443
We're in a hiatus and there isn't much to discuss about the show right now. I can't help but feel like generals are what keeps this board alive. I keep tabs on three or four of them myself.
>>
>>29040443
The worst part is they're all just some shitty Anon in Equestria fics filled with wish fulfillment.
>>
>>29040443
Well with the fact that this is a board about a shitty show that only maybe premiers once a week within a small window of the year, and the fact that the show is literally on life support and the last bit of milk is getting squeezed from Lauren Fausts tit, im not surprised generals are the only things keeping us afloat
>>
>>29040471
>>29040588
But the idea is that generals themselves are part of what stops discussion, because not only do they compartmentalize the board into basically their own "mini boards" within a single thread so that they keep people just sitting in specific generals rather than contributing to the board at large, and the fact that so many of them on a single board that are so constant keeps the board in a state of stagnation since "why come up with an interesting thread when I can just lurk in ___ general that's always there but is practically useless to anybody else?"

Now, people can make the argument that "show is on hiatus, nothing to talk about", but let's face it this is nonsense...there are people who discuss shows that have been cancelled for years on a daily basis on other boards, that is not an issue. And one has to wonder that you know....there ARE reasons generals on most board are not allowed unless completely necessary...and the only reason they ever are is to contain shit to a single thread when it would otherwise take over a board, such as a new episode premiere or big news or something of that nature
>>
File: Oh, you.jpg (18KB, 320x317px) Image search: [Google]
Oh, you.jpg
18KB, 320x317px
>>29040443
>Daily "generals are killing the board" thread.
>>
>>29040443
How about we get rid of Equestria Girls aka anthro threads? They're spreading in the catalog like cancer, I've got 22 hidden threads related to this shit
>>
File: 1481113176292.png (82KB, 1863x309px) Image search: [Google]
1481113176292.png
82KB, 1863x309px
>>29040729
What happens if the generals are removed? What replaces them? More shitposting? How many times are we gonna have this thread?

https://desuarchive.org/mlp/thread/29009497/#29009612
>>
>>29040772
That's a problem caused by your own autism. EQG threads are discussing fiction, not fetishes. Go to /trash/ if you don't pay attention to MLP fiction regardless of which series or format.
>>
>>29040767
Generals are killing the board General
>>
File: Untitled.png (27KB, 905x606px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
27KB, 905x606px
>>29040443
yea its pretty bad but thankfully I know how to use a computer so they aren't that much of a problem
>>
I don't know if this is due to everyone generally sticking to their own little hubs, but this board does seem a bit more chill than some others lately.
>>
>>29040772
this
/mlp/ is supposed to be a pony board

my suggestion would be to move all eqg content back to /co/
but i guess that isnt happening since they are still pretty autistic about everything related to my little ponies
>>
>>29040783
This.
>>
File: 1470081319172.jpg (48KB, 492x449px) Image search: [Google]
1470081319172.jpg
48KB, 492x449px
>>29040443

this board is shit and dead for the most part because this show is irrelevant now

it certainly doesn't have the edge it used to, the brony fad came and went

this board's discussion topic is ONE cartoon, there's only so much to talk about

Its actually amazing the amounts of green and artwork that come out of this place all things considered

Anyway, more policing is the last thing we need

I've been around this board since it was first created, and when it first dropped it had no janitors and no mods, or if it did, they did jack shit

And you know what? That was a golden age of /mlp/

many moons before the faustening or the scruffening

good times...

anyway fuck off you bootlicking modlover

roll around in the shit or go elsewhere

>>29040772

>getting rid of half of your board's content output
>getting rid of half of what you can talk about on this board
>calling EQG "anthro"
>pic related
>>
This is my favorite general. Other generals come and go, but you know that, whenever you come here, this general is always here. Every day. Always. Permanently.
>>
>>29040879
this
>>
>>29040443
This is the problem with giving what should be a single general on /co/ an entire board to itself. There's only so much we can actually talk about before we start repeating ourselves. It's no surprise to me that generals and shistposting make up most of the board because honestly what else would there be.
>>
>>29040443
Only the generals that are the same thing as other generals.
>>
File: 1301251018773.jpg (214KB, 1200x480px) Image search: [Google]
1301251018773.jpg
214KB, 1200x480px
>>29040862
>>29040967
So basically the only way /mlp/ can survive as an entire board is lifting as many restrictions as possible and producing OC until we can sustain ourselves independently of the show.
>>
>>29041060

imo, yes
>>
>>29041084
Well we're fucked then because we can't change the rules and there aren't nearly enough drawfags, writefags, and other content creators for that.
>>
File: 1419966085165.gif (2MB, 320x454px) Image search: [Google]
1419966085165.gif
2MB, 320x454px
>>29040443
No. They are some kind of incubation-chamber for this board.
They have flaws but what really sucks are the constant "THE FANDOM IS DYING!!!11111" and "I HATE GENERALS!!!!!1111" shit.
If you create a general for every shit it becomes a bother but most of them wither after a while.
Making good threads (whatever that is to you) would increase the decay of less popular generals if those good threads attract enough people.
This could result in old gernerals popping up from time to time with more content before they disappear again.
>>
>>29040443
No, it's the faggot moderation.

Do something about these fucking stains spamming their glimmy glammy faggotry.
>>
>>29040443
At this point I don't think we can get rid of generals.
There's people in every general that only come to this board for that general. So if we got rid of those, we'd also be getting rid of a chunk of our userbase.
Also banning eqg is retarded, it's not even a big problem and banning it would kill a huge chunk of the userbase. I don't want to come to this board and see it as dead as /po/
>>
>>29041223

then we'll slowly burn out

as we should if we don't have anything to talk about

until then we do what we have been and we enjoy ourselves
>>
File: never ends.png (244KB, 1227x1087px) Image search: [Google]
never ends.png
244KB, 1227x1087px
>>29041420
But I don't want the ride to end anon.
>>
>>29041447
it wont
so get off your ass and produce content you lazy fucker
>>
I don't think we should get rid of all generals but I think we should merge/streamline some of them.

Most CYOA don't need their own thread and neither do most OC, especially when they mostly deal with a single character or slight variations of a character. Everything feels too neatly segregated
>>
>>29041612
>Most CYOA don't need their own thread
Are you talking about merging CYOAs? How does that work?
>>
>>29041646
>>>/qst/
>>
>>29040443
I don't know. I don't have any thread to stay to, despite only really caring about one character and topic, so I'm just stuck unpleasantly going through random threads I don't really care about, and typing paragraph-long replies that nobody else cares about, because the threads are just about opinions and taste and boring stuff. If there were just a few other guys who wanted to always talk about what I want to talk about, I'd gladly restrict myself to that one thread. I really don't care about mostly anything here except for my waifu and waifu discussion, so I wouldn't feel bad for starving the board of my precious opinions if I had a few guys to talk with, where I wouldn't be bumping the thread alone every hour.
>>
>>29041655
If you mean sending CYOAs to >>>/qst/ then that isn't an option either because GR15.
>>
>>29041646
not necessarily for all of them but some either focus on a central character from the show or have some overlap with another thread
>>
>>29041612
>>29041646
This is interesting since slavepone general has also an CYOA in it and "Submission is mandatory" started as a CYOA
>>
>>29040787
>he filters threads
First of all, that's retarded and proves you're a thin skinned autist

Secondly, this isn't about simply not wanting to view generals....it's about board quality and whether or not the massive amount of generals on this board contributes to the fact that it's dead and non generals go to page ten often with 20 replies or less, making this board a graveyard outside of a handful of select threads that get constantly re made for no reason

>>29040820
Allow me to correct you. /mlp/ is a "brony" board, anything that has to do with the MLP multiverse from Hasbro belongs here

If you wanted a simple pony thread that ignores MLP fiction, you should go to /an/
>>
>>29042133
>First of all, that's retarded and proves you're a thin skinned autist
No, it proves I don't want to scroll past threads I never want to open. If I were a thin skinned autist I would be filtering Comments that included words that triggered me or opinions that don't match my own. I'm literally just filtering generals that don't interest me at all.
>>
>>29042133
>/mlp/ is not a pony board
>>
>>29040772

Seconded
I dunno why this idea wasnt applied once RR got televised, the board was a literal stockpile of shit after that
>>
>>29040787
/(dick|cock|penis) rate/i
/bo.pussy/i
/bo. (butt|pussy)/i

same result, less filters.
>>
>>29040443
generals were always cancerous
>>
>>29042368
thank you fâm
>>
>>29040443
Yes. Even Ponychan had the decency to contain its generals, and even /vp/ kicked out its redundant "Pokemon general" general.
>>
>>29042162
Fine, fair enough, but it has nothing to do with the point I was making which is that having so many generals actually causes the board to be slow and stagnant, not that I simply dislike the generals themselves

Once again, there is a reason most boards don't allow generals to this extent.

>>29042194
The "pony" refers only to My Little Pony, you know, the franchise, of which My Little Pony Equestria Girls is a part of

If you only want to discuss literal horses, like I said go to /an/. I really do think most EQG haters are fandom fans who probably don't watch the show anyway.
>>
>>29042826
EqG hater here, watched every episode of the show and love it, think EqG is cancer mostly because actual EqG fans never discuss the content.

What was the last time this board discussed what happened in LOE? Its just used as an excuse for fan fiction.
>>
>>29042847
>Its just used as an excuse for fan fiction.
Sums up /mlp/ in general, unless you haven't noticed the amount of people here who worship shitty memetext fanfiction. As if good threads mean having one guy writing while everyone else bumps and lurks.
>>
>>29043007
At least people sometimes discuss the show with FiM.
>>
Whatever opinions anyone has on what belongs here, GR15 has been clarified to mean anything that can be seen as related to MLP/brony belonging here, which includes EQG, TFH, and Filly Funtasia.
>>
>>29040772
How about no? You already have them filtered.
>>
In your ideal version of /mlp/ what would you want to see the generals replaced by?
Would any of the current generals be okay to stay? Where do you think the content and Anons displaced would go and do?
>>
>>29043590
This is a good question. Have a (You).
Ofcourse there would be generals left
Maybe merge some?
Glimmer generall would acutally make room room for more different thread
>>
>>29043590
here's my ideal version of /mlp/:
>type: "boards.4chan.org/mlp/" in the adress bar
>get 404
>>
>>29043703
or, y'know...you could just get the fuck off the board.

>>>/out/
>>
>>29043742
thi is the best that could happen to this pathetic excuse for a board
>>
>>29043590
>In your ideal version of /mlp/ what would you want to see the generals replaced by?
Fun, creative threads that many anons can take part in. Threads with a strong concept behind them (not exactly sure what) or at least threads with a little more effort than glimmer/shimmer/nyxposting, "would you?", "___ in Equestria what do?", "I left after ___ what happened?", "___ thread #9023", etc.

>Would any of the current generals be okay to stay?
As long they don't constantly devolve into bumpfests and chatrooms they should have a chance to stay. See if a few are willing to merge. Another idea is making a schedule so threads are created when people have stuff to show off like the Content Creator Thread.

>Where do you think the content and Anons displaced would go and do?
Leave /mlp/, disperse across the board, make their own cliques on Discord or whatever, and any content left goes into various archives.

The board would become slow as fuck but the overall quality might go up. Otherwise >>29043703
>>
>>29043960
What would you define as a chat room general? Hasn't most of that moved into individual discords?
>>
>>29042847
>think EqG is cancer mostly because actual EqG fans never discuss the content.
That's nonsense...I say this because the only EQG threads I've ever taken part in have been about discussing the content....maybe you're talking about the generals ^;)

>>29043590
>In your ideal version of /mlp/ what would you want to see the generals replaced by?
>Would any of the current generals be okay to stay? Where do you think the content and Anons displaced would go and do?
I think generals should only exist when need be....aka when there would otherwise be something that needs to be contained into one thread, most of the generals on this board don't really fit that at all....they're just basically chatrooms for small groups of people who don't really benefit the board at large, like Moot once described them. Let's say you wanted to make a thread about idk, Cadence....there really doesn't need to be a Cadence general, you could just try to start a thread with an actual topic ABOUT Cadence, generals should be reserved for like new episode premieres and big news....things that would otherwise run rampant on the board and cause a million of the same threads
>>
generals in general (carlos.tiff) are cancerous but not all of them
for example: /sqt/ on /g/. it's not necessary for it to exist but with the amount of random questions people have, it's better to contain them all in one thread, instead of 100, where more people will lurk and more likely answer them. this is an example of good general
but on /mlp/...maybe draw thread. the rest is pretty much useless
>>
>>29044017
>What would you define as a chat room general?
Generals where most of the posts seem to be low-effort responses and vague discourse rather than discussing the topic. Anything with a high bump vs content ratio. For example, >>28892765

>Hasn't most of that moved into individual discords?
Gonna be honest here and say I don't know for certain.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/11856703
>>
>>29044017
MLP general. It's a thread for a few people to circlejerk in and hasn't served a purpose since /mlp/ became a thing . Many of them don't leave the thread at all.
>>
>>29044239
Now we need to come up with ideas how to fix this.
>>
>>29044374
mlpg is a staple of the board, and they never bother anyone. leave them alone.
>>
>>29044495
>>29044374
no MLPG needs to go. /b/reads left, why does the /co/ circlejerk get special treatment? we did more for the fandom than they ever did yet we disbanded once we got a board
>>
>>29044374
Oh fuck off. MLP general is the only place on this board where people post cute pictures of ponies without starting into waifu shit.
Not everything is waifus.
Right now there's a 350-post MLP general thread up with only one tripfag in it (aside from the OP / supporting post).

On the other hand the Princess Applejack general, Batpony general and Satyr general are completely disgusting.
The Princess Applejack thread has only had one long continuous green going in it for over a year in shitty-pointless-double-space-reddit format so the posts take up an entire screen. The story is impossible to follow as far as I can tell. There are several changeling OCs or something like that. It's totally inaccessible to the average /mlp/ poster.
The satyr and bat threads are worse. They're full of OCs that the 'regulars' already know the personalities for; the contents of which could probably fill a 1000 page tome.
This sort of material would be better suited to a fimfiction group. If you decide one day you would like to enjoy some bat ponies and go visit the bat pony thread, you will find that the green assumes you already know the characters and backstory and you will be completely lost.
I have been unable to enjoy bat ponies on /mlp/ for like 3 years now because less than a month after the generals started I was already out of the loop enough to find the content incomprehensible without significant research into thread archives.

>shitty meta thread
look what you made me post
>>
what exactly is the problems with generals?
the room that they occupy or the circlejerking?
>>
>>29044738
If I had to guess. Circlejerking and identity being counter to 4chan's normal operation, and a recurring threads or 50 taking spontaneity and creativity out of the catalog's/front page's composition.
>>
>>29040729
you're completely correct, but gidf comes out every time you call them out on their reddit faggotry and then whine and throw a hissyfit.
>>
File: 1480261858489.png (73KB, 1537x397px) Image search: [Google]
1480261858489.png
73KB, 1537x397px
>>29044738
Both kinda. Try putting pic related in the context of /mlp/ . I think it's a fairly accurate description. The main problem in my opinion is that generals exist artificially. They're always up "just because" and don't drop off naturally once the topic has been exhausted.
>>
File: elf okay textless.jpg (35KB, 298x365px) Image search: [Google]
elf okay textless.jpg
35KB, 298x365px
>>29044785
I dont think it's right to assume that good spontaneous threads are going to happen more often if generals are removed.
If anything I think there'll be more shitposting taking their place.

>>29040729
I agree with this about the charácter specific generals.
Its fucked up that you cant discuss about the Dazzlings outside its general and worse people actually direct you there.
>>
not sure if this whole issue is worth the hassle but ill try to give you a piece of my mind soon
>>
don't forget the obvious: as the amount of generals increase, thery pass a certain point where a large part of the catalog is occupied by generals. it would be something like:
>oh no! my general is now on page 10. bump!
>repeat until a brand new non-general thread gets to page 10 in just a few minutes
this site saw shit like this a few times already
and Celestia forbid if the amount of generals would fill almost 100% of the board...one big fucking bump all the time
>>
>>29044388
We have a sticky that changes once a month with Skype/Discord links to channels that contain former general discussions. Not as anonymous as /mlp/ but if those fags over at /hhh/ can do it so can everybody else.
>>
>>29044738
Try reading the thread friendo, it's been covered in detail multiple times.

>>29044852
This is a great point
>>
>>29044239
This is interesting
>>
bump for general general
>>
>>29044986
page 10 bump
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.