[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rogue One

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 26

File: mqdefault.jpg (4KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
4KB, 300x168px
Now that the dust has settled, what did you think?
>>
fanfic/10
>>
Better than TFA
>>
>>15063641
great, but the weakest movie so far
>>
>>15063641
Great, and the strongest movie so far.

Also, someone on the production team really, really likes star destroyers. I think all the glamour shots of them and other ships might be why I liked it so much.
>>
Really good movie and much better than TFA by far
>>
far better than TFA, but i'm really tiring of the marketing department inserting at least two new things to sell for each side into every movie.

the fewer times i notice you've changed something in-universe, the more i enjoy the movie.
>>
>>15063641
CGI Peter Cushing wasn't convincing.
>>
also sick of every imperial craft having foldy-bits, just because.
>>
It was pretty fun, if you understand that there were too many characters to really develop and that the object of the movie was to tell the story of how the Death Star plans were obtained, rather than be a story in and of itself.

Really great battle scenes, though as usual the capital ships do almost none of the fighting except in a few key moments.

It totally changes the tone of the opening of Episode IV though. I just rewatched it and wow. It makes Leia and Antilles seem a lot more brazen and foolish, and the fight that we see at the start is now just the ragged end of the Rebellion's "victory."
>>
>>15063641
Enjoyed the shit out of it. I'm surprised /m/ isn't totally sucking its cock right now either. I mean,
>sweet TIE and Stromtrooper variants
>very little Jedi and Sith, just soldiers
>smart-ass droid (no HK-47, but still great)
>lots of throwbacks like the Hammerhead

Only thing was that it's incredibly fast paced, and rightfully so since there was so much to cover.
>>
great battle scene, poor set up.

battle of scarif put it above TFA and make it almost as good as the original.
>>
I enjoyed it a lot but the characters weren't that memorable
>>
>>15063691
Yeah that kept taking me out of it every time he was on screen.
>>
Predetermined resolution and boring characters bring the movie down, but the skirmish in Scariff does elevate the movie quite a bit.

Also, the ending with Leia would be embarrassing, if not for the unfortunate circumstances regarding Fisher.

That said though, couldn't Vader have used the Force to snatch the plans away from that rebel at the end?
>>
>>15063745
>That said though, couldn't Vader have used the Force to snatch the plans away from that rebel at the end?

the scene was purely fan service to begin with, to remind us why Vader is such a popular villain in the first place after a decade of us watching his embarrassing young adulthood.

It's best not to think too much about it.
>>
>>15063641
Still haven't watched
Don't spoil it for me
>>
>>15063751
I kind of thought he didn't know that the plans were on the data disk, just that the Rebels would have had them on the Tantive.
>>
Two big complaints.

First off Saw Gorilla took up like half an hour of the movie and was sought by three parties, portrayed as the dark side of the rebellion and hyped up... and he didn't do shit. He just hobbled around and died and was largely forgotten. He could have been cut from the movie entirely and nothing would have changed. Or why not have him tag along, to be the ruthless antihero fucker of the party? That might have been interesting.

Second, they had to get the data for the Death Shit at the end by playing a crane game? What the fuck. That whole ending thing with Jyn trying to get the data and transmit it was such bullshit contrived for drama.

Otherwise, it was solid.
>>
>>15063792
>He could have been cut from the movie entirely and nothing would have changed.

That'd be a hard cut to make. Saw was the only Rebel scum that Galen had any modicum of trust for. Also, we've never seen those terrorists directly attack an Imperial operation in the movies before unless it was some kind of super weapon (and chronologically, his efforts predate even those) and from what we've seen in RO, the Space ISIS collective didn't seem so found of his overt head-on tactics which is why he was considered an outcast. However, Saw was Galen's only connection to the traitors which is why he chose to send Rook to him.
>>
File: 975281289204.jpg (460KB, 1493x1194px) Image search: [Google]
975281289204.jpg
460KB, 1493x1194px
>>15063641
Mon Mothma said in ANH that "Many Bothans died" to get the information, but I did not see a single Bothan in that movie.
>>
A well done cashgrab that would have been better as a Force Unleashed-style video game.

I can't wait for the upcoming Many Bothans Die prequel for RotJ when Dash Rendar and Kyle Katarn have to fight Kir Kanos while an army of bothans get mowed down in the background.
>>
>>15063871
Good god, how can you retards even fucking breath? That is in relation to the second death star you braindead jackass
>>
>>15063871

...That was ROTJ, unless you're joking.
>>
File: 524253653738.png (110KB, 376x253px) Image search: [Google]
524253653738.png
110KB, 376x253px
>>15063871

Nice bait.
>>
>>15063884
I hope we get a better view of Bothans dying than that.
>>
>>15063641
I actually legitimately enjoyed this one. It was better than that TFA movie.

There's literally nothing cooler than a suicide mission against impossible ods.
>>
>>15063867

Look, all you'd have to do is do a tiny rewrite. Make it so instead of Galen only trusting Saw, he is willing to risk leaving Jyn to the Rebel Alliance in general. We know the Rebel Alliance did some dirty shit too. There was no reason to have this space ISIS guy and build him up as "even dirtier" when apparently the regular Rebs were also dirty and then they didn't even use Saw.

Just have the pilot guy go directly to the Rebels but say he's only going to talk to Jyn. Wow. It's that simple.

Seriously, Saw was a huge piece of wasted potential, they should have brought him along, or just not had him in the movie. The whole moral ambiguity of the Rebels kind of lessened as the movie went on, but effectively died with Saw. If they were going to pursue it at all, why not pursue it through Saw? They had two comic relief characters with Donnie Yen and the robot and then they had Donnie Yen's gay lover there, for no reason really. Why not just replace Donnie Yen's gay lover with Saw? That guy flew into a psycho rage whenever he saw Imperials too... so it's basically the same fucking character.
>>
>>15063641
I have no interest in seeing it since nothing about it interested me, similar to how TFA didn't interest me because it was just a retread of the original Star Wars. I find it disconcerting though I'm seeing a lot of people go from "TFA was great!" to now "Well TFA was mediocre/underwhelming/forgettable, but Rouge 1 is ACTUALLY amazing and gonna revive Star Wars!" This just illustrates to me these films are like I expected or worse in that they have next to no lasting appeal and mainly subsist on being Star Wars rather than good films.

It's kinda like fan's reactions to the prequels: mindless adoration until the hype wears down and openly hoping the next film is actually good unlike the previous film. But instead of bad these films are just meh.
>>
Was it just me, or did it feel like Cassian and Jyn could have just been a single character? Both of them:

>Lost their parents
>Were taken in by rebels
>The rebels are morally questionable
>Raised to be resistance fighters but grew disillusioned

The movie could have had Jyn/Cassian be found by regular rebels who raise them to be saboteurs and then they get disillusioned and leave but are tracked down again because "hey your dad sent this message that is encrypted and only you might know how to open it." This would have allowed them to skip the whole Saw Guerilla part because he honestly was pretty pointless.
>>
>>15063919
>Was it just me, or did it feel like Cassian and Jyn could have just been a single character?
But then they can't have literally every nationality represented in the group which this movie seemed far more concerned about rather than making a cast of fleshed out characters.

Rather than a colorful/varied cast they chose to make the cast literally colorful/varied.
>>
>>15063908
TFA was a really safe movie in terms of its plot and structure being so heavily lifted from ANH, which is why people have cooled on it a bit over time. Its purpose was to show audiences that the new owners could do a Star Wars film and not totally fuck it up, which they did.

Rogue One takes a few more risks, and it's a lot better for it. It doesn't exactly have time to develop most of its large cast, but they don't need development because they're already entertaining and full of life the way that they are. Jyn is also a much more interesting character and a better example of a strong female lead than Rey. She has more going on with her as a person, she's good at what she does without making the other protagonist look like an incompetent buffoon, and the fact that she and everyone else dies at the end is legit something you don't see in movies much.

Maybe my opinion will cool back down over time, but I went into Rogue One expecting it to kind of suck because of that awful trailer and I was pleasantly surprised. I don't think they actually used the most cringeworthy line from it, which helped.
>>
>>15063901
>he is willing to risk leaving Jyn to the Rebel Alliance in general.

Well, entrusting your only child to a bunch of criminals you never met certainly isn't the dumbest thing to happen in SW.
>>
>>15063908
I blame member berries and the demonization of throwback panderfests without regard to the circumstances surrounding because apparently now nostalgia is synonymous with blind worship of the past.

Then again I would consider film to be inherently hostile to lack of originality, it's not like how in vidya you get the sequel cycle of the newest entry being the shit one and the one before it some sort of masterpiece forgotten by everyone even though by all means both games are the same damn thing with slight variations.
>>
>>15063945

He could have just known someone in the Rebel Alliance who was not Saw. Or hey it's either that, or she gets killed by the Empire/held hostage and used against him. Better a chance, than no chance, right?

Look, I liked Saw Gerrera as a concept. I'm not posting this to shit on the movie for the sake of shitting on the movie. I'm shitting because they had a really fucking interesting concept, a Rebel who has gone so far off the deep end that he's full extremist now and is as dark as the Empire they're fighting, and then they fucking wasted him. They wasted half an hour on him and then he died seemingly just because he felt like it, when he could have been a part of the main cast and made the movie so interesting. And I'm disappointed by that.

You are trying really hard to defend it but there's no defending it. His character was pointless and they bungled their chance with him. He should have had a bigger role considering how much buildup he got, or he should have been cut because they devoted that much time to him but he was fucking nothing in the end.
>>
>>15063945
>entrusting your only child to a bunch of regular criminals
vs
>entrusting your only child to SPACE BARACK BIN LADEN!
>>
>>15063944
>I don't think they actually used the most cringeworthy line from it, which helped.
They dropped that line, and thank god they did. Imagine if we got "sassy girl dun need no rebellion" instead of "fuck everything just leave me alone, oh wait my dad died? We need to do this.". I much prefer the second.
>>
>>15063947
>apparently now nostalgia is synonymous with blind worship of the past.
But that is an issue because more often than not people think their nostalgia equals some manner of objective quality. You can like anything and find enjoyment even if it's single worst piece of shit in the world, the problem is if nonintrinsic values like nostalgia are treated like it's a quality that elevates the property beyond what it is.

Basically people can't accept anyone saying that the thing they like isn't an 11/10 masterpiece.
>>
>>15063959
The issue with Saw is that he's a character from the Clone Wars cartoon series.

More over, he's a character from the Clone Wars cartoon series who literally lost everything he cared about fighting.

If you had watched the Clone Wars, you'd know Saw's character was supposed to represent the pointlessness of fighting. He's been fighting nearly his entire life, and what has he got to shown for it? Everyone he ever cared about is dead, most killed before his eyes. He's got cybernetics out the wazoo and difficulty breathing. He's supposed to demostrate that no matter how hard you fight, how extreme your tactics, how much you sacrifice and what you lose...

The Empire will always prevail in the end.
>>
>>15064003

Yeah well maybe they could have had him do more than just shuffle around and die because he was tired.

Maybe they should have left him in Clone Wars and had a new character who would actually tag along and contribute, instead of wasting half an hour on Clone Wars fanservice.
>>
>>15063641
Sall right better than tfa

Watching autists sperg out about the hammerhead scene is fun
>>
Hot garbage/10

The characters are completely underwritten and have no proper arcs or qualities that would somehow make the audience care about them. They waste great actors on absolute tripe. Oh and there's Felicity Jones, I guess...
The plot meanders around for almost an hour, jumping from place to place with terrible editing.
Fan Service bordering on fanfiction to the point of not even making sense, like Vader's Jason moment at the end which everyone thought was so cool.

The final battle is pretty good. But everything leading up to it is lackluster. You can tell that it's a reshot and reedited mess, not to the same extend as Suicide Squad but close.
Give the nerds half a year to calm their boners and they'll rank it 5th or 6th at best among the other movies
>>
>>15064024
Yeah, right under the Prequel Trilogy.
>>
It wasn't shit, but there was a lot of stuff that rubbed me the wrong way and felt dumbed down and contrived. For instance, just during the ending, why did they have to get physical data using some sort of manipulators when there are already computers that tell you where the data is? Why did they then have to physically climb up the thing to beam the data up? Why was the dish realignment console all the way on the edge of the tower like that? Why was there just this single gate that somehow shields the entire planet instead of a shield generator on the planet surface or a network of shield stations? Would it have been too complicated for the audience to follow? Why, when the Alliance got the data, did they then have to burn it onto a blu-ray and then physically hand it off to Leia instead of just sending it directly to her ship? It was all just a bunch of bullshit for drama.

And yeah the characters were all one dimensional. As stated before Jyn and Cassian could have been a single dude. Donnie Yen and his friend were completely unnecessary. Everyone just had Marvel movie quips instead of dialogue of substance or character development.
>>
>>15063941
Do you ever think before you have a idiotic kneejerk reaction? What nationalities are they supposed to represent in your mind? They looked white enough so they couldn't be some stand in for the chimps or whatever else

Do you just want to hate it so much that you discard simple logic to shitpost furiously? For fuck sake m8
>>
>>15064069

He is not wrong. Force Awakens was pretty much all pandering and with that and Rogue One it did seem like they're trying hard to force action girls into the franchise.
>>
It was ok at best. Like the premise was decent but really suffered from trying to play with the moral ambiguity angle and ultimately dropping it for a FUCK YEAH REBELS moment that could only end in mass slaughter by canon. Not-HK was the only standout character and CG Carrie Fisher at the end was incredibly creepy to me.
>>
>>15063641
>Now that the dust has settled

>/V/ MEMES ARE SO FANNY GUYS! WATCH ME /V/ MEME ON YOU!
>>
>>15064069
>Do you ever think before you have a idiotic kneejerk reaction?
The director has gone on record saying exactly the kinds of sentiments you've expect from activist directors that would suggest affirmative action hires for muh diversity. So >>15063941 is not just kneejerk reaction.
>>
>>15064069
>What nationalities are they supposed to represent in your mind?
How about A FUCKING ALIEN? Remember when Star Wars was about including whimsical and weird races unseen by man rather than "will see we need blacks, Hispanics, Asians, women, etc represented in order to appeal to everyone and maximize profit."
>>
>>15064071

Really, you remove Rey from TFA and the movie is so much better for it, if a bit incohesive plot-wise.
>>
>>15064100

I wouldn't say Rey was the only problem but she was a big problem. JJ Abrams was a mistake.
>>
>>15064104

Nah, Abrams' quirks don't bother me that much and hopefully he can make Ep. VIII not a pastiche of Empire and whatever parts he had lying around. The issue of Rey was that she's the worst kind of lead for a Star Wars story, much less a trilogy since she's some kind of natural prodigy and thus there's much less to root for with her. Luke from the start was way out of his depth so it made him easy to relate with and hell even Anakin was a bit compelling being a hotshot among a bunch of tight-asses. Rey's just a literal plot device.
>>
>>15064158

There was so much wrong with Rey I don't even know where to begin.

But in general Abrams deserves a lot of shit. The guy just lacks vision. He can only make one type of movie, over and over and over again. And he tried to make it with Force Awakens and that's why it sucked. Because it wasn't a Star Wars movie, it was an Abrams movie.

And while Rey was simultaneously the worst and most visible character, the others were shit too. Like who the fuck even is Poe? What is Boyega's character and why does he do ANY of the shit he does in the movie? It's all vague or inconsistent, it's all a mess.
>>
>>15064158
>Nah, Abrams' quirks don't bother me that much and hopefully he can make Ep. VIII not a pastiche of Empire and whatever parts he had lying around.
He's not involved with any more Star Wars movies outside of being a producer. He has no hand in writing or directing episode 8.
>>
>>15064168

That's the worst part about Finn; if he had served any role in the Order other than Stormtrooper his place in the story would have felt a lot less forced.
>>
>>15064168
>Like who the fuck even is Poe? What is Boyega's character and why does he do ANY of the shit he does in the movie?

Did we watch the same movie?

Poe is a Resistance ace agent. Finn is doing everything he can to get away from how horrible the First Order is. He's scared and on the run. But once he realizes he has people who accept him and treat him like family, he has something to fight for so he risks his neck to save them.

Are you just looking for any excuse you can use to hate the movie, or are you so fucking dense you need big bold sentences at every character introduction?
>>
>>15064191

If Poe is this key Resistance figure why does he just absolutely fuck off for the first half of the movie? Why is he so detached from any of the events?

And you clearly have no idea how shit Finn's character was. First off, he's a fucking janitor. But then he gets chosen to go down on this important mission where he handles a gun? And then it turns out that, in the lore, Finn was apparently a huge badass. But then why's he act like such a pussy at the start of the movie? And if he's such an anti-war pussy horrified about the carnage of war, how is he able to then blow away like a hundred stormtroopers minutes later? Why does he pretend to be these people he's not and keep tagging along when he could have fucked off AT ANY TIME? Why does he tag along all the way to that yellow midget's bar and then decide to get cold feet right then?

Because Finn is a shit character and he is written like dog shit.
>>
>>15063641
Fun movie. Not very Star Warsy in writing, dialogue and certainly not directing, but it worked well enough. The visuals were spot on and it had best space battle since Return of the Jedi, easily.

I hope the future anthology movies continue the trend of being movies set in the Star Wars universe rather than 'Star Wars movies'. Trying to copy Geroge's style clearly isn't the way to go, although this movie was a lot more generic it felt more genuine.
>>
>>15063768
>don't want spoilers
>Let's jump into a spoilerific thread
Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father.
>>
>>15064210
You've clearly never been in the military.

Who do you think cleans the bases over seas?

The soldiers do. They don't outsource that shit and i highly doubt the First Order does either. So yes, he's perma on latrine duty, but at the end of the day, he's still a soldier. Or rather, a Stormtrooper.

>fucked off AT ANY TIME?
Okay, when was he supposed to fuck off before Maz's cantina?

Before he met Rey? He was actively seeking a memes to fuck off.

After boarding the Falcon? They WERE fucking off. The plan was to fuck off to the Illium system so he could fuck off and BB-88 could get to where he was needed, until Hans and Chewybaka tractor beamed them.

After they got caught by Hans and Jewybacalav? The tentacle monsters made sure that any attempts to fuck off would get them fucked. Hetai style.

I'm tired of humoring you. Kill yourself. You're wasting MY oxygen every second you continue to draw breath.
>>
>>15064287

Careful not to cut yourself on that edge, apologist.
>>
>>15064287

>if you were in the real army you would know that the army puts their elite top marks students on latrine duty forever

That's not how it works shithead. Do you even army?
>>
>>15064011
>instead of wasting half an hour on Clone Wars fanservice.
Saw in the movie was clearly an all new character with an old name tacked on. I mean, they even changed his race.
>>
>>15064342

Yeah well in that case why have him named Saw Gerrera? I mean it's all very confusing. They devote such a huge chunk of the movie to this fanservice guy, who ends up being completely unimportant and is barely the same guy and who does nothing, contributes nothing. It was just shit, man.
>>
>>15064316
> elite top marks students
>stormtroopers
>elite in any way
Are you operating on the assumption that the stormtroopers were the elite force and that there are regular soldiers underneath them? Because that hasn't been true since at least the 80's. Stormtroopers, pilots and their variants have consistantly been shown as the Empire's only soliders forever. And since the First Order is the Empire Part Two it's a fair bet that's still the case.

There're grunts and there are officers, officers do not scrub a whole lotta toilets, so logically the stormtroopers must.
>>
>>15064394
Stormtroopers are elite compared to ordinary Imperial soldiers, which, just like in the Old Republic, are planetary militias. They get droids to do all the maintenance and cleaning, which is why there are always astromechs around.
>>
>>15064394

You think you know anything about anything. But you don't. Your attempts to defend hack writing are amazingly pathetic.
>>
>>15064411
>I have no retort so I'm just going to attack him directly
Cool. Good to see that even though you're losing the argument you're not letting it keep you down. Your mum must be so proud she didn't abort you when she had the chance,
>>
>>15064419

You've responded to all criticisms of Force Awakens screaming angrily about how your opponents are retarded and should die.

If that's the foot you're going to lead with you don't get to bitch that others are insulting you. You were never arguing in good faith, it would be hypocritical to whine and demand that others treat you with respect. You are getting back what you put in. You are being engaged with at your level.

The point was raised that it's illogical Finn is somehow the GOAT stormtrooper yet a janitor and then somehow, despite being known only as a janitor to pretty much everyone, he gets selected to go on an important surfaceside mission.

You respond by saying that it doesn't matter because even though he is a supersoldier hot shot everyone has to mop the latrine. True, but he was the janitor permanently. So they made their supersoldier a janitor and nothing else. That's retarded. So you were wrong there.

You then respond by saying it doesn't matter(because you got BTFO). That the stormtroopers are shit grunts. But they're not, actually. They're a dedicated regular army of specially trained and equipped shock troopers. They actually are a higher tier than regular soldiers. So you don't actually fucking know anything.

Now I am sure you are going to try and come up with some bullshit to try and defend this too instead of just admitting that Finn is inconsistently written because they just didn't give a damn. And you will throw in some insult about how I should die. I don't give a shit. You were wrong. You are wrong. You will always be wrong, no matter how much impotent rage you throw out there.
>>
>>15063641
Bland characters, too much fanservice, confusing plot, I don't know anyone's name or why they are important and their reason to be on the mission. Shitty movie in it's current form. I wonder if there's a ton of shit edited out based on those trailers. Maybe those scenes would of made it more coherent.
>>
Wasn't Finn just a jannie during his posting at Starkiller?

Could've been a temporary reprimand for something, he had a past record of noncompliance if I recall right.
>>
>>15063641
Better than TFA, and I'd say better than the prequel trilogy. If for no other reason, I'd say it comes down to the sense of perspective. Suicide missions actually ending in pyrrhic victories rather than miracles, Imperial "terror-style" warships that feel *huge*, and seeing the Death Star coming up over the horizon upside-down all make the Empire actually seem like a legitimate threat in a way they haven't for going on forty years.
>>
>>15064440
>he had a past record of noncompliance if I recall right
That's literally the opposite of what Phasma reported.
>>
File: shame.gif (606KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
shame.gif
606KB, 500x375px
>>15063886
>>15063891
>>15063893

>tfw 4chan no longer gives me (You)s.
>>
>>15064478
here's your .d.o.t.t.e.d.l.i.n.e.
>>
>>15064057
>Why was the dish realignment console all the way on the edge of the tower like that? Why was there just this single gate that somehow shields the entire planet instead of a shield generator on the planet surface or a network of shield stations?

I agree that everything you posted is kind of bs but i guess they were keeping up the tradition of there being no such thing as OSHA in Star Wars
>>
>>15064097
>about including whimsical and weird races unseen by man

It sounds like to you blacks and asians and women are alien races so what's the problem lol
>>
>>15064433
You keep hanging on the same threads. I almost want to think you have some sort of mental disability.

Finn wasn't selected to go on the surfaceside mission. His platoon was. You have some twisted idea of what happens in the military if you think any of the mission coordinators hand picked Finn, or even know who he is besides aggregated stats on a holoscreen.

Let me break this down for you cause your sole exposure to military operations is CoD.

Mission coordinators are given an operation overview which contains a detailed request for manpower: x number of bodies, x number of blasters, x number of vehicles, x number of specialty equipments if needed. They pull up their rolodex, note which platoons are on rotation this week, and deploy as many as are needed for the op.

So yes, super hot shot ace beat 'em all toilet scrubber Finn was selected for the "super important" mission because it was his platoon's time to be sortied. And you know what happened when Finn put down his toilet scrubber and bottle of Space Comet? Some other super hot shot beat 'em all ace Stormtrooper picked it up and started scrubbing right where he left off.

You're a child who only knows of the world through video games. Get a real life, experience the world and then kill yourself.
>>
>>15064476
I thought Phasma said he had to undergo reconditioning at least once.

Could've sworn the scene was to emphasize that Finn was a flake in the making amongst indoctrinated stormies.
>>
File: TIE Striker.jpg (3MB, 2971x2332px) Image search: [Google]
TIE Striker.jpg
3MB, 2971x2332px
It had a lot of potential, but there were just too many missed opportunities. The fan pandering was really over the top to the films detriment. The film feels rushed and needed better editing, which is odd to say because they actually reshot many scenes. Makes you think how worse things were originally. Overall a solid 6/10 with TFA being more like a 4.5/10

>>15063696
I really disliked the new shuttle design, but the big cargo shuttle that they use to infiltrate the planet was alright.

Tie striker was cool, sucks that is got barely any screen time with the Tie Fighter hogging all the attention.
>>
I'm not sure if it's because the prequels have filled me with nothing but cynicism and mild contempt for the franchise but this and TFA felt even more like a pandering cashgrab than episodes I-III. I can't believe it, two flicks in and I'm already suffering from Star Wars fatigue.
>>
>>15064551

There was less pandering in this than in TFA, but only because TFA pretty much upped the pandering so far it's hard to imagine you could even surpass it.
>>
>>15063964
Regular criminals who have the backing and support of many prominent politicians and businesses at that. You could easily write out Space Bin Laden without much difficulty, but they REALLY wanted to include commentary about how the US is supporting terrorist in the mid east. Too bad their effort fell completely flat and just wasted a bunch of screen time for nothing.
>>
>>15063691

I think the first scene was uncanny valley, but they got much better at it in the rest.
>>
>>15064057
>Why was there just this single gate that somehow shields the entire planet instead of a shield generator on the planet surface or a network of shield stations?
Seemed like they had a lot of traffic, but they also needed security. So instead of having a shield generator on planet that they would have to lower every time, they create a chokepoint they can manage while having the rest of the planet shielded. I actually though the station over Scarif was pretty fucking cool.
>>
>>15063944
>Its purpose was to show audiences that the new owners could do a Star Wars film and not totally fuck it up, which they didn't*.

*Fixed

TFA was such an abomination. They tried so hard to play it safe and yet still completely failed in the end resulting in an abortion that manages to taint the film it attempts to copy.

>>15064069
You honestly think Disney included the TWO chinese actors because they thought it would make the story better, and NOT because it would appeal more to the chinese market? Come on, don't be so gullible. Not to mention the director pretty much confirmed everything that anon mentioned on his twitter account. It was all over the news, I don't see how you missed it.
>>
File: samefag-gavanvsgokai.jpg (144KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
samefag-gavanvsgokai.jpg
144KB, 854x480px
>>15064433
>You've responded
> your opponents

>Everyone who holds an opinion different from mine is the same person.
You don't even know who you're responding to, you madman.
>>
File: this is you.jpg (666KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
this is you.jpg
666KB, 1280x1024px
>>15064419
You are so blinded and dense that you literally can not remember what you yourself just wrote a few minutes ago.

>Are you just looking for any excuse you can use to hate the movie, or are you so fucking dense you need big bold sentences at every character introduction?

or

>I'm tired of humoring you. Kill yourself. You're wasting MY oxygen every second you continue to draw breath.

Thanks for reconfirming my hunch that all fans of TFA are mentally and emotionally retarded.

P.S. Your bit about the military is completely wrong by the way, and I really don't appreciate your attempt at stolen valor kiddo.

>>15064433
This. It's pretty clear you struck a nerve with him, and he is so blinded by rage he can't do anything but lash out and recycle the same stupid argument ad nauseam.

>>15064503
>You're a child who only knows of the world through video games. Get a real life, experience the world and then kill yourself.

See? Here he is doing it again. I have never seen such extreme irony on 4chan before, and I've been here since 2005. Please tell me you are just pretending to be this retarded.
>>
>>15064618
>I've got no retort, again
>>
I love how they portrayed the Rebellion. Like a real fucking insurgency, not goofy idiots having a big BBQ with teddybears on Endor.

I suppose the Iraq war was good for something.
>>
Went to see it for Donnie Yen, ended up with a new waifu who's dead.
>>
File: 975281289204.jpg (252KB, 640x452px) Image search: [Google]
975281289204.jpg
252KB, 640x452px
>>15063964
They mentioned in the movie that Space Osama became extreme over time and wasn't like that at first. When Galen knew him, he was probably much more chill before he turned to being radical galactic terrorists.
>>
>>15064285
>>
File: cuban.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
cuban.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>15064495
I can't ctrl+f dotted lines, anon.
>>
>>15064634
Dead waifus are the best. They don't age or divorce you.
>>
>>15064643
>>>/out/
>>
>>15064504
Yes, because he had just had a nonconformity issue on Jakku. She was referring to sending him in for the thing that literally just happened.

No fucking wonder people got confused by Rogue One.
>>
Rogue One was a lot better than TFA at giving a sense of detail to the Star Wars universe. All the locations in TFA were so sparsely populated: the Resistance headquarters is a bunch of guys hanging out in a forest, and Maz's castle is a bunch of guys hanging out in a slightly different forest. Jedha also managed to look more distinct from Tatooine than Jakku did.
>>
Biggest gripe is how a unshaven rugged rebel managed to infiltrate a highly secured military instillation as an officer, even though all the other officers where properly groomed and no one batted an eye.
>>
File: 1474067219810.gif (967KB, 245x180px) Image search: [Google]
1474067219810.gif
967KB, 245x180px
>>15064003

>lol if you didnt understand this character you should have watched this tv show for children to understand him you baka no gaijin
>>
>>15064868
I noticed that a well.

D'you serve, too?
>>
File: 975281289204.jpg (17KB, 940x624px) Image search: [Google]
975281289204.jpg
17KB, 940x624px
>>15064655
I guess dotted lines will have to do.
>>
>>15064500
When did I say anything to that effect? My problem isn't the diversity my problem is they feel the need to include EVERYONE which lead to a bloated and boring cast.
>>
File: deathstar.jpg (150KB, 1754x877px) Image search: [Google]
deathstar.jpg
150KB, 1754x877px
This movie is the first time we've seen the Death Star pointing its dish down to target a planet. Let me ask /m/'s opinion: which of these looks more impressive?
>>
>>15066268

The second one. It looks more imposing, like the eye of Sauron looking down on a planet. The first one is cool because it's appearing upside down as though there's no escaping it from any direction but at the same time, just not as imposing.
>>
>>15066280
I thought it was curious that we've never seen the Death Star from above its poles in any of the movies. Were they trying to avoid making it look like R2-D2's head?
>>
>>15066268
When the balls touch.
>>
File: IMG_4772.jpg (218KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4772.jpg
218KB, 768x576px
>>15066283
Conversely, I wish the endcaps of O'Neill cylinders in Gundam looked more like the Death Star's poles.
>>
I love all these racists complaining about the diversity in a movie whose male and female leads are both white. I also love the hypocrisy of complaining about shoehorning different races to sell to those demographics because by that logic any white character is pandering to get ticket sales from whites. It seems the real issue isn't that you don't want pandering, it's that you think only you should be pandered.
>>
>>15066434

Why is diversity important?
>>
>>15066445
Why is not selling to certain demographics so important? Isn't the point of a market economy to make profit? Why should only whites get sold to? Is the diversity harming you you?
>>
>>15066456

Nigger I don't give a fuck. You are the one who is trying to push diversity here. Answer the question. Why is it so important?
>>
>>15066460
>uses the N-word on the internet because too scared to use it in real life
>does not know why diversity is important

I was going to say you probably voted for Trump, but you probably are not old enough.
>>
>>15066515

Yeah, so you got nothing. So it's not important. It's just some shit buzzword that no one should take seriously since even its proponents cannot name what good it does.
That'll be all.
>>
>>15066515
Please answer the question. Why is diversity important?
>>
File: 1393580460610.png (824KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1393580460610.png
824KB, 960x720px
Ignoring the shit flinging, how fucked was the first planet that the Death Star fired on? The shot that destroyed that holy city wasn't a fraction of the Death Stars true power, but it looked like it would have done a number on the continent at least.
>>
The film was okay. The characters and emotion are lacking and I felt the story didn't really need to be told. The action is entertaining, but what's holding it back is the lack of people to care about besides K2SO and maybe Donni Yen. I give it a good time, no alcohol required.
>>
>>15066527
It's not
Unless you live in a white country.
>>
>>15064057
Bandwidth dummy. Copying the data off the computer would be like sucking an ocean through a straw. That's why the dish was so big in the first place; they even say
>Must take a lot of data to transmit.
>>
>>15064600
>You honestly think Disney included the TWO chinese actors because they thought it would make the story better, and NOT because it would appeal more to the chinese market? Come on, don't be so gullible.
Except we are talkign about the main characters,good job moving goal posts
>>
>>15066639

That doesn't address any of the complaints listed. Also how the fuck do you know the bandwidth speed in the Star Wars universe?
>>
>>15063641
The space battle makes it good on its own.
>>
>>15066434

Cassian's actor, Diego Luna, is Mexican. Which makes him Latino rather than White. Not that I see the distinction personally, since it's really just a tan and more of a cultural thing than a physical, racial one - but technically he's not White regardless.
>>
>>15066680

Culture is more important than race.
>>
>>15066692

It is, but no-one makes a racial distinction between Scandinavian people and Mediterraneans despite the distinct cultures. They're just Whites
Or between Moroccans and Nigerians, which are just Africans. People also don't diversity cast based on culture, they do it based on race. And Latino is one of those racial distinctions for some reason.
>>
>>15066699

Yeah, and that's why racial diversity whiners are faggots. Because culture is more important than race but these retards only see race. Thus making them the biggest racists of them all.
>>
I thought the DYRL reference was neat
>>
>>15066552
It looked like it was comparable to a pretty large-scale volcanic eruption, which would be enough to trigger an ice age.
>>
>>15066711

What DYRL reference was there?
>>
>>15066680
Is everyone who doesn't speak in an American Midwestern Non-Regional accent non-white now?
That guy is just as white a Jyn physically. No one says Antonio Banderas is non-white cause of his funny accent. Do we need to call the Krennic non-white because he has that funny australian/british way of talking instead of generic american?
>>
>>15066703
>It's the people claiming we should treat others as equals who are racists!
>>
>>15066807

Yeah because when I think of Antonio Banderas I think "wow that's clearly a white guy."

You have brain problems.
>>
>>15066815

You're not treating minorities as equals. You're treating them as retarded children by demanding that minorities be shoved everywhere so they can feel better about themselves. People like me, who are actually interested in sci-fi, would be OK if Cassian was eight feet tall and purple because it's Star Wars where yellow frogs and fishmen and humans and robots are all walking around talking to each other normally. But all you give a shit about is the whiteness of Diego Luna.
>>
>>15066826
It's the minorities who want to see themselves in movies. It's not liberals forcing minority characters in, it's conservatives trying to stop corporations from attempting to make products that appeal to other audiences besides themselves. Disney made Rey a girl because girls want a girl hero and to buy merch of a girl hero. Marvel has been doing their (frankly stupid) "replace the heroes with diverse ones" push because they've reached market saturation with white guys in their 30's and want to get all that sweet dosh from other demographics. Miles Morales is because black kids want a black hero. Same reason you want a white one. To say it's bad for them to do it but okay for you is the rankest hypocrisy.
>>
>>15066868

I really don't give a shit what colors my heroes are so long as they aren't whatever color they are as part of some retarded diversity shitkick that doesn't make anything better. I'm not even white. You just assume I am because you're a fucking racist and you think only white people must oppose you, that all minorities think the way you believe they think.
>>
>>15066868
>It's not liberals forcing minority characters in
Do you not remember JJ Abrahms
>Oscars, so white

Or the Rogue One director chiming in about how the rebels are a multicultural force fighting a white supremacist empire? Don't be fucking stupid, this diversity nonsense is 100% pushed by liberals.

No one cared when Lando was black, but we do care when this multicultural garbage is shoved down our throats like it matters. We want good sci-fi and good characters regardless of who they are. Not a political statement by guilt tripped whites and loxist hollywood jews.
>>
Reminder that diversity shitters still can't explain why diversity is good.
>>
As an East Asian, if I wanted to watch Donnie Yen do martial arts, I would watch a Donnie Yen martial arts movie, with much better choreography and camera work, and since he's speaking Cantonese I don't have to be distracted by accented English.
>>
>>15066953

Donnie Yen is boring as fuck though.
>>
>>15066916
And people who whine about diversity destroying the moral fibre of our society can't explain why a cast consisting entirely of white guys is objectively better other than "muh political correctness".
>>
>>15066965

You guys are the ones pushing for it. You have to explain why it's so important and so good. No distractions. No deflections. No diversions. Can you do it? Obviously not.
>>
It was a boring movie, only liked 2 scenes.
>>
>>15063641
Vader scene was awesome
>>
Marginally better than TFA, still mediocre.
>>
>>15066916
Because it's stupid and intellectually dishonest to shut yourself in a bubble and pretend that the world is comprised entirely of clones of yourself. Because you can't say that only white people are allowed to be in movies, or that others don't have the right to be pandered to just as much. We again see the hypocrisy on display here of people applauding an all white cast because "They made what I wanted to see!" but being outraged when someone else get's advertised towards. If you don't want to see non-white males, then don't see the movie. If you think "Why should I have to make that choice" then where were your protests for others when all they had to see was casts of all white males with maybe a token female/black?
>>
>>15066972
Don't tell me to not deflect while you're attempting to shift the burden of proof to me. You're ducking the question. Go on, I'm waiting.

My opinion on the whole matter is "who fucking cares, cast whoever is the best fit for the character and their role", and I think that the assumption that generic white guy is automatically the best fit and anybody else is minority pandering is fucking retarded.
>>
>>15064097
>>15064500
I'm Asian and the retarded orientalism and pandering with the blind gay warrior monk was straight up fucking offensive.

But Asian-Americans are retarded and lap up that shit so good for them I guess.

God damned fucking retarded yanks.
>>
>>15066990
How come people seem to interpret any type of male friendship as homosexuality?

Because doing that sounds pretty gay to me.
>>
>>15066985

So you are unable to actually say why diversity is good, I see, since your entire "argument" is strawmanning opponents as racist.

As was mentioned before, Star Wars had Lando in the 70s and people loved him. Hell, Star Wars has literal aliens and nonhumanoid robots. No one fucking cares.
>>
>>15066988

You are only asking your question to duck my question, shit wit. Obviously you have nothing. You lose.
>>
>>15064433
>The point was raised that it's illogical Finn is somehow the GOAT stormtrooper yet a janitor and then somehow, despite being known only as a janitor to pretty much everyone, he gets selected to go on an important surfaceside mission.

I don't remember the details of TFA but it is true that all soldiers do end up doing cleaning duties at some point
>>
>>15066916
It's good because it boosts profits and protects you from attacks by crazy activists.
>>
>>15066990
Donnie Yen is cool and I was so disappointed by his role
>>
>>15067001

But how is the story enhanced?
>>
>>15066907
>how the rebels are a multicultural force fighting a white supremacist empire
I thought the empire welcomed people of all races, did Disney retcon that?

Also

>rebels are a multicultural force

>led only by white people because coloureds are only fit for cannon fodder
>>
>>15066996
>>15066998
Perhaps we should stop attempting to argue with this guy, he seems to be physically incapable of debating beyond "no you".
>>
>>15067003
It isn't but it's still the correct business decision. Are you saying they should make bad business decisions to preserve the integrity of the story? What do you think this is, art? It's a shitty movie for retarded masses.
>>
Why was the Rogue One group entirely humans +1 robot? Where's the diversity there? A whole fucking galaxy filled with hundreds of alien races and you niggers are arguing that there weren't enough diverse humans.
>>
>>15063641
- CGI Peter Cushing looked bad. Could've attained exponentially better results with makeup and practical effects since they weren't going to put the effort required to make the CGI look decent

- The Star Destroyers looked like they were legos, and that someone as inexperienced as my dog had done the photography. If they were also CGI, then it's apparent they either don't know what they're doing or they don't care enough to do a good job.

- It's a solid movie. Worth the price of admission. Definitely the weakest movie of the franchise by far, but I expected that since it's one of the Anthology films . . . I just hope it's also the weakest Anthology film.
>>
>>15067017

Farce Awakens was much worse.
>>
>>15064868
Yeah, I felt that's unbelievable too. Didn't really bother me though. It's an old Star Wars trope. You could dress a Wookiee in an officer's uniform and nobody'd know the difference.
>>
>>15067004
>I thought the empire welcomed people of all races, did Disney retcon that?
The director was inserting political opinions where they don't belong, but no, the Empire seems to have retained its "no alien scum" policy, but there's no discrimination with race. As long as they are human. And the occasional guy like Thrawn that is just too good to not have on their side. I don't think racism as we know it even exists in the SW galaxy. They're too busy fighting among species and other humans that originate from different worlds.

Thankfully Disney knows to keep politics separate from general audience movies it seems.
>>
>>15066990
>expecting anything other than pseudo-oriental mysticism in a movie long revolving around space-samurai monks
Really nigga?
>>
>>15067003
It's not, but it's not hurt either unless you do stupid shit like make the girl character have all the combined powers of Luke and Han. At the expense of the first black main character being a useless clod to make the girl look better, because apparently they're not THAT good at thinking about diversity.

>>15067004
The Empire never had a particular explicit stance on race, but in practice they're all white British guys while the Rebellion is multicultural with a mix of male and female characters, and everyone not in the Empire speaks with an American accent. It's never been all that subtle.
>>
>>15067033
The guy who runs the star wars tv show said that while the NuCanon Empire wasn't officially racist or sexist "While not all Imperials are racists, most racists are Imperial". Which kinda makes sense considering the Empire is supposed to literally be Fascist, and not the modern anyone I disagree with type.
>>
>>15067066

Fascism is not an inherently racist ideology.
>>
>>15067066
Have we ever seen ANY actual racism in any SW canon though? I'm talking the human-human variety that we know (and again, the non-meme anybody I don't like is racist racism). I think the guy might be referring to the anti-xeno sentiments, which have always been a thing for the empire.
>>
>>15067069
Like hell it isn't. Literally every Fascist movement or government has used a racial/ethnic basis for their entire rationale. Fascisms entire central thesis is that a nation should be rid of anyone not of it's adherents particular definition of an ethnic/racial "us" and make a self sufficient state composed entirely without any of "them" that is always defined as some kind of ethnic nationality.
>>
>>15067080
Inter-species racism over minor differences in skin tone and facial structure is a really stupid concept when there are thousands of other species for you to be racist towards.
>>
>>15067080
I think Star Wars operates under the Discworld assumption than white and black will get along because they can gang up on green.
>>
>>15067086
But then again, people are retarded in general and racism is an inherently ridiculously petty concept.
>>
>>15067091

Racism is probably a biological defense mechanism to keep people safe in their own pack and distrusting of the unknown.
>>
>>15067086
>>15067089
Exactly. Human on human racism makes little sense in sci-fi, especially in Star Wars.
>>
>>15067080
Wookie prison labor.
>>
It really bothered me when they made a hyperspace jump from the planets surface.
>>
>>15067033
>but there's no discrimination with race. As long as they are human
How are the rebels any different from that then when all they have is like five token squid people?
>>
>>15067045
>they're all white British guys while the Rebellion is multicultural with a mix of male and female characters, and everyone not in the Empire speaks with an American accent

I'm reminded of this.

https://www.vidivodo.com/monkey-dust-ann-frank
>>
>>15067148
Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEVJ_48YgTg
>>
I was very glad that Blue Squadron actually had blue stripes.
>>
The Force Awakens was the worst Star Wars movie ever made. Rogue One is the Star Wars movie REAL fans wanted

By the way

Blind Samurai character with a laser bow cane >>>>>>>>>>> every character from TFA
>>
>>15067236
>Blind Samurai character with a laser bow cane >>>>>>>>>>> every character from TFA
I thought he was going to be an annoying know-it-all not-jedi like that Yoda ripoff from TFA, but he was actually pretty sympathetic.
>>
>>15067236
>>15067370

Donnie Yen always delivers
>>
>>15063641
A good enough movie with an AWESOME ending.

I mean, that minute of Vader kicking ass was worth the ticket price alone.
>>
>>15067521
So that scene is the very last one, and then it cuts to credits?
>>
>>15063641
It makes me sad we don't really have a relevant board to talk about this in and,much like other things, it just ends up here.
>>
>>15067539
Go to /tv/. They have been talking about Rogue One nonstop. Daily Star Wars threads.
>>
>>15067549
>>going to /tv/

/co/ have a daily star wars thread.
>>
>>15067618
it does have good threads, for star wars too, it's not just baneposting
>>
File: time for veermok.png (414KB, 720x416px) Image search: [Google]
time for veermok.png
414KB, 720x416px
>>15066552

It was presented as the Death Star doing its job in slow motion, but I wouldn't be surprised if that shot killed everything that lives on the planet without actually shattering it - if not in the initial blast, probably over time.
>>
>>15067731
>It was presented as the Death Star doing its job in slow motion
I thought it as more of being demonstration of a fraction of it's power.
>>
>>15067549
>Go to /tv/

Yuck.

/tv/ is one of the worst boards on 4chan. Right up there with /v/ and /a/.
>>
>>15067530
No.

The last seen is of some rebel scum handing the plans to that traitor Leia aboard the Tantive IV as it gets away the last second before Vader is able to board it.
>>
>>15067085
No, fascism often features racism to create enemies truth scapegoating that allows you to call together the people you rule against a perceived enemy. If you think the Nazis were built around racism then you're a blithering retard who knows nothing about history. Fascism comes into power usually due to socioeconomic issues, for the Nazis it was because Germany had a large spike shoved up its ass as punishment for WW1 and was on the verge of economic collapse, fascism almost always is brought in under the guise of political reform not as some fight fueled by racism.

Racism is a tool every fascist dictator takes into consideration such as Stalin, Hitler, Castro, etc, but it's never fueled their entire regime.
>>
It was pretty generic, but I really liked the aesthetic portrayal of the Rebellion.

Also, high casualty rates; I liked that it showed that the monumental task of acquiring death star plans can't happen without huge sacrifices
>>
Why didn't the bombers just hit the shit out of the shield generator from the start?
Why did the grill have her visor up and fingerless gloves still on when she was in disguise?
Why is everyone's name so hard to remember?
>>
>>15070178
>Why didn't the bombers just hit the shit out of the shield generator from the start?
Pulling this out of my ass, but I think the generator was on the planet, and the orbiting station was there to open a small hole for landing craft.
>Why did the grill have her visor up and fingerless gloves still on when she was in disguise?
So the audience would know it's her. Lowest common denominator and all that.
>Why is everyone's name so hard to remember?
Because they aren't being yelled incessantly by other characters throughout the movie.
>>
File: sonny and rico.jpg (48KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
sonny and rico.jpg
48KB, 640x430px
>>15070323
>Because they aren't being yelled incessantly by other characters throughout the movie.

Good point.
>>
>>15067095
Distrusting strange-looking people you are unfamiliar with =/= the people with this skin color, migrant or indigenous origin are clearly inferior and should either be killed off, enslaved, or otherwise dominated under the guise of "protection". One is an instinctual reaction that is usually easily dispelled after sufficient amount of personal interaction and familiarity. The other, racism, is used whenever you need to create a justification for treating people like some kind of Other.
>>
It was passable. What little plot it had was paper thin and added nothing to the universe, and the cast were all completely one note with no real development.

The effects were good though and as an excuse for a bunch of Star Wars themed action scenes I was generally entertained.
>>
>>15063646
Thank you.
>>
>>15067921
>Stalin
>Castro
>Fascist
Don't particularly like either, but you're political illiteracy is showing. Communists and Socialists are the first people that fascists go after. What next are you gonna say that FDR was fascist, too and he used the japs as his racebaiter? I don't even think fascism is inherently racist. There are some tendencies to exclude minorities due to its strong nationalist character, but the only variety that really pushed hard for racism was the Nazis with their Aryan master race versus untermenschen BS. Mussolini didn't even start persecuting minorities like the Jews until they began to rely heavily on Germany and Nazi influences began to dominate.
>>
>>15070323
>>15070178
No, we see the bombers actually bombing the shield gate in like a 3 second shot. I don't remember actually seeing bombs go off but I assume they did. And the X-Wings attacked it too. Nothing happened and they switched to attacking the Star Destroyers.

I'm guessing they weren't able to do enough damage to the shield generator.
>>
I liked it, it didn't have the horrible 2015-era dialogue that TFA had.
>>
>>15071573
Also no space nazis!
>>
>>15071055
>calling Stalin and Castro communist and socialists while accusing someone of being politically illiterate
And yes, FDR was a fascist too, he was big on government/federal rules and he persecutes the people.

>Communists and Socialists are the first people that fascists go after
And you know what people are the first communists and socialists go after?
>>
>>15063641
After being forced to see it I can safely say it was the only Star Wars I actually enjoyed.

I hope they keep the trend of putting more emphasis on action rather than story because God knows nobody can save this poorly-written pile of trash.
>>
>>15063641
Characters nobody cares about and have no chemistry with each other dying for dumb reasons: The movie
>>
>Señor Han Solomente straight up shoots an informant in the back to prevent him from giving away the Rebellion

This was a not-so-subtle jab at George ' Han is a good protagonist he dindu nothin Greedo shot first' right?
>>
>>15063641
>Now that the dust has settled, what did you think?

It's better than TFA. But the stormtroopers no matter the redesign are still lousy shooters.
>>
>>15073677
What made you think they'd live?
>>
>>15071055
Do you actually think that just because they are communists they can't be fascists? As a Cuban you don't know how funny I find that claim.
>>
>>15063641
It's the 08th MS Team of Star Wars

Pretty to look at, kinda enjoyable but the more you think about it the story and characters don't stand up and a lot of it is just there for fan service rather than telling a good story.
>>
I thought it was mediocre, the action scenes were great, but the characters were completely forgettable, and not really worth being invested in, also the dialogue was crap. Everyone saying "ITZ DA BEST ONE EBER" is either a fanboy, blinded by nostalgia, or just has genuine shit taste.
>>
>>15074016
>blinded by nostalgia
You'd think that the people blinded by nostalgia would be the ones convinced that the original trilogy were the best, if you know what the word means.
>>
>>15064544
dat field of view. must be designed by the same bunch of morons that centralized the flight ops on 10 km long executor class destroyers that let them to crash after a collision with a snub fighter no bigger than a VW bug
>>
It's Star Wars, for better or worse.
>>
>>15066268
i wonder how the DS lays out on the insides and around the surface. some shots (like the assembly scene) shows the array on the top hemisphere, and then most of the others are on the lower. prob just that way for filming purposes, otherwise its just a shot of a splottchy grey ball.
>>
>>15066639
bigger dishes are good for collecting data, but send/receive? that data pack hits the big dish and still goes into a straw
>>
>>15066649
what does it matter? we're talking about sending data from one star system to another thousands of LY away in just minutes or maybe hours. like the holo communications. you think thats bandwidth?
>>
>>15067017
yeh, it looks like the CG guys were told since the SD's are all going to be bright white and drown in light, don't go crazy and model anything similar to the 8 ft Avenger prop they build for ESB.. the were more 'Rebels' cartoon grade
>>
>>15073952
>It's the 08th MS Team of Star Wars

Nah. Rogue One didn't have half a plot that I painfully wanted to forget just to salvage the other half of the plot. This is the Stardust Memory of Star Wars: All the parts I hated were really like thirty seconds long and the rest was pretty enjoyable overall.
>>
>>15063641
It was 100% fanwank with no substance. I'd put it on par with TFA
>>
>>15074101
>Stardust Memory fan
Rogue One is the equivalent of Stardust Memory in that it's really illogical, badly paced, and has way too many extras who do nothing.
>>
Pretty much everyone I saw it with just went "what the fuck was up with that black crippled guy who just walked around wheezing and then died for no reason?" One guy even fell asleep because the beginning took too long for him.

I guess he was some Clone Wars shitter but dedicating the first third of the movie to some Clone Wars faggot who does literally nothing of importance is really bad.
>>
>>15074197
Presumably the point of him was to show a man so consumed by the Rebellion that even on the edge of death he couldn't do anything but continue to terrorize Imperial shipping in a manner that was destructive but ultimately fruitless.

They however forgot to make sure that you actually give a shit about him and his self-destructive obsession.
>>
>>15074069
Supposedly, a few layers closest to the surface have gravity perpendicular to the surface, but in the interior, gravity is parallel to the axis of rotation. In the previous movies, we always saw the dish on the top hemisphere, which makes it surprising to see it flying "upside down" here.
>>
>>15074057
Or you know, they pay to see it regardless since its Star Wars and was an integral part of their childhood or something similar.
>>
>>15063662
>TFA and AoTC not the weakest
>>
>>15074101
>Rogue One didn't have half a plot that I painfully wanted to forget
Instead you forget it cause the movie is that uninteresting
>>
>>15067787
It's more amusing that they are all so incredibly impressed by that fraction, when allegedly the guns on an average warship are in that firepower range (hundreds of gigatons).

Did I mention that the fighter lasers are supposed to be equivalent to kiloton explosions too, so seeing them fire inside the atmosphere, I'm at a loss as to why we didn't see a big-ass explosion complete with mushroom cloud whenever they missed and hit the ground.
>>
>>15063641

Fanwank the movie a disney story
>>
Pretty shallow film, but looked nice.
>>
IT BROKE NEW GROOOOUUUUND

I'M GONNA CUUUUUUUUUM
>>
>>15063641
>a real war story in the SW universe (movies)
>the Alliance has flaws
>retcon the credibility of the Death Star
>a lot of new and interesting planets
>fanservice was done right
>CGI Peter Cushing and Leia were bad
>Donnie Yen & Baze Malbus were a great duo
>asshole Droid was good
>Vader was threatening
Pretty good actually
>>
>>15075272

> retcon the credibility of the Death Star

How, exactly? Also, the Alliance's flaws only lasted up to the half way point or so when Jyn rallies them to follow her. Which is good since it makes them fit more with the rest of the films, but bad in that it gets rid of the interesting stuff established about them within the film.
>>
I like the U-Wing. The door gunner element and the sweep wings were cool, even though it's a Snowspeeder body with X-Wing engines. I got the miniature for the X-Wing game and the wings sweep, plus it's a good ship.

Liked the TIE Striker too. I guess those are supposed to be atmosphericl only TIEs, like ground fighters? Which is why their solar panels point up?
>>
>>15063768
So you go into the thread instead of just hiding it?

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>15075621
They're apparently focused on Atmosphereic flight and are faster than normal TIEs there, but apparently they can also be used in space as well.
>>
>>15075248

ATST ATST ATST AST
>>
I liked the effects and the part where Vader pushes the rebels' shit in.
Besides that it was an adventure movie with a quirky cast that didn't really go anywhere. 7/10
>>
>>15063641

The first half of the movie was really slow, and the characters were generally unlikeable. The female lead was especially bad, because she was a stronk woman archetype for no apparent reason - It's already been established she's BAD at being a resistance fighter, and she can singlehandedly take down an entire squad of stormtroopers with a baton?

Fortunately, the second half was great. The battle was amazing. Oddly enough, I can't help but think that Darth Vader looked slightly ridiculously in his cameo, but that's just the cynic in me speaking.

Does anyone else think that the reshoots actually reduced Jyn's role? If you think about it, she doesn't actually do much in the movie, all things considered. Nearly all the 'iconic' shots of her - facing off against the TIE fighter, charging the AT-STs on foot, wearing the imperial outfit without the helmets - are not in fact in the movie. She also doesn't do the little "I rebel" speech.

It's like someone realized she wasn't especially charismatic and that they sort of wanted to write around her. If so, I wholeheartedly approve.

Donnie Yen sort of stole the show, though.
>>
>>15067000

Yeah, that was especially weird. Finn was the janitor, and yet he's supposed to have incredible skills at fighting and leadership. The thing is, he's kind of a bitch at everything he does.

It's like he's the useless hanger-on girlfriend, except black. So there's this whole 'yes massa' thing to it, too. At the same time, both FA and R1 have a scene where the guy just sort of stands to one side and watches a girl rescue herself. Why?
>>
>>15077847

When did Cassian stand to the side and let Jyn rescue herself? He had to rescue her twice that I recall, once after her father dies and once when Krennic has her at gunpoint on the platform.
>>
>>15077855

In the shootout on the ISIS planet, Jyn engages a squad of troopers. He just stands there and waves his gun while she takes them out.
>>
>>15077857

She didn't need rescuing there though. She was never at a point where she would need to he helped, and them helped herself while Cassian stood aside.
>>
>>15066527
Diversity more accurately depicts the world and reality we live in. It brings a realism to the visual media by drawing parallels to the world around us.

I would hazard to say the opposition to diversity has a difficult time accepting the true diversity of our reality as well-- looking outside the microcosm of our smaller communities/cliques/familiar groups to focus on the global community.

And a little later on, the universal community.
>>
>>15070323
>>Why is everyone's name so hard to remember?
Jyn
Poe
Finn
Ben
Kylo
Rey
Han
Luke
Leia

For some reason the 4 letters or less character name structure for most of the main cast jumped out at me immediately.
>>
>>15077997
>Diversity more accurately depicts the world and reality we live in

Too bad the Star Wars world isn't our world.
>>
>>15078006
And yet there are human actors portraying these characters. Do not fall into the trap of dismissing the cinematographic aspects of Rogue One. This is a human work for human consumption. It is portrayed by a diverse cast of human actors/individual contributors that best reflects the reality we live in.

It is an effective delivery mechanism for content.

he Diversity serves to better reach us, the paying, viewing public, and deliver the content in a non
>>
>>15078006

It's casting is though. It's reality is also reflective of our own too.
>>
needed more ayyyylmaos
>>
>>15077997
>>15078015

Your whole "reality we live in" bullshit is stupid. People self-segregate. Generally human beings enjoy being with people who are like them so they can relate to them. You may have a neighborhood that is "diverse" but eventually the blacks leave or the whites leave and it becomes "the _______ neighborhood." There's been whole books and essays written about this. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/09/people-like-us/302774/

You are just some dumb shitter who bought into the multicultural propaganda. How does diversity make the story better? How does having the casting reflect "the reality we live in" make it any better? How is diversity even GOOD and not just "a reflection?" Germany is looking pretty "diverse" right now and it's basically a hellhole with Islamic no-go zones where white man's law no longer applies.

And once again, the Star Wars world isn't our world. So if it was to accurately reflect the Star Wars world there would be maybe three humans and everyone else is a robot or an ayylien. Not fucking six humans and a droid and all the aliens are three or four bit characters with a combined five minutes screentime.
>>
>>15078035

> How does diversity make the story better? How does having the casting reflect "the reality we live in" make it any better?

Not him, but it's just as relevant to ask how it makes it worse. It makes it appeal to a different and/or wider audience is about the length of it, but it's not better or worse really.
>>
>>15078042

If some character being black or a woman or gay is how you determine whether to watch a movie or not, fuck you.
>>
>>15078048

I didn't actually say that, but hey, you did say people segregated by nature because they liked having similar people to relate to, so perhaps you should go fuck yourself?
>>
>>15078042

Actually that kind of diversity pandering does make the story worse. A lot of the characters in Rogue One were really underdeveloped and as has been pointed out in the thread, some like Cassian and Jyn were basically the same character. Instead of making ten different characters to appeal to every color of the rainbow there could have just been four solid ones.
>>
>>15078052

Your poor attempt at "turning it around" falls flat since I already saw the movie and I didn't choose to see it because someone in it is the same color or gender as me. You think you're a clever guy, but you're actually a retard.
>>
>>15078055

And there'd probably have been 10 under developed characters regardless of diversity. Plenty of movies have had large, underdeveloped casts. It wouldn't even be the first Star Wars to feature an unnecessarily large and underdeveloped cast.

>>15078058

Also not what I was accusing you of. Nor was it even a solid accusation, but more a joke based on your lack of understanding of my post and previous statement. I also saw it with no consideration of the ethnicity of the cast, and have made no effort to defend it beyond the economic gain but I don't think that'll make any difference to you.
>>
>>15078080
>And there'd probably have been 10 under developed characters regardless of diversity. Plenty of movies have had large, underdeveloped casts. It wouldn't even be the first Star Wars to feature an unnecessarily large and underdeveloped cast.

Yeah and the prequels were shit. What exactly is your point? That having a large cast of underdeveloped characters were bad? Yeah, that's what we got, so that they could market it to a bunch of wops/spics/niggers/slopes/fags/whatever. I don't care if they want to make 1 solid character into three shitty ones so they can market to women and arabs too. I just want a solid movie.
>>
>>15078087

> What exactly is your point?

That bad writing is usually it's own fault, rather than the fault of cast size. And that you're blaming it on casting, when it's more likely to be because of the writer than the size or ethnicity of the cast.
>>
>>15078095

Having a larger cast means you have to either make the movie longer to adequately develop them or cut other parts of the movie. The reason for the larger cast is apparently for "economic gains" by marketing it to every color of the rainbow. So in this case, having a larger cast has significantly contributed to the lousy writing.

It's not a hard concept, you've just decided to champion diversity 'til the last dog dies because you're an idiot.
>>
>>1507810

I didn't actually champion it at all, and haven't ever even said it's a good thing; only explained the reasons behind it. Which isn't the same thing by any stretch. Nor is it impossible to create a story with a larger cast in the average movie run time. Harder perhaps, but not impossible and people have been doing it successfully with decades. The Dirty Dozen has already been mentioned in the thread, but is hardly unique. Again, a large cast is neither synonymous with or uniquely tied to diversity casting. Force Awakens had a smaller diverse cast and was still shit, while other films have had larger, monoethnic casts and been bad. You insist on blaming.the bad writing on the casting and I insist on pointing out that the writing was probably going to be bad regardless and the writer should be held accountable, not shift the blame to the casting department.
>>
>>15078095
>That bad writing is usually it's own fault, rather than the fault of cast size.
An oversized cast can be a negative result due to bad writing or due to any other integral part of the film being shitty such as direction or producers in charge.

There is nothing wrong with diversity, there is something wrong with doing something just for diversities sake. I would have been fine with a smaller cast that had no white people just as long as the characters were well developed. Such a large cast only serves to pander to certain audiences, and whole that's good for business I'm not going to see a movie based on it's business decisions or judge it's story/characters based on how lucrative a decision they were. I am going to watch a movie I think looks good and I will judge it on how well it tells it's story, it's content, and it's execution.
>>
>>15078087

Jesus fuck man.

It's Star Wars. It's a series who's view of life in the universe is typified by the Mos Eisley cantina scene in the original, where loads of weird aliens are lovingly displayed for the camera for five minutes straight before anything happens. The fact that they added people in weird colors too is about the most fitting goddamn thing in the series.
>>
>>15078253

But the cast of Rogue One was all humans except for K2SO so if the Mos Eisley cantina typified that universe then Rogue One fucking failed.
>>
>>15078253
And what was Mos Eisley? A wretched hive of scum and villainy. That was what they were communicating. All those aliens were NOT the main characters and no one expected them to be anything but scenery to show how scummy Mos Eisley was. The main cast of the OT was small and universally white, which was the right choice. Simply crowbarring in shitskins to fill a quota doesn't improve anything and it ends up filling the main cast with completely pointless characters there only to pander to the multiculturalists.
>>
>>15077845
>Does anyone else think that the reshoots actually reduced Jyn's role?
Perhaps. It's clear that her character was drastically altered. The obnoxious mary sue iRebel that we loved to hate from the original preview was almost entirely absent. I think they reshot every single non-action scene with her to make her a decent character.
>>
>>15079638

It seems like badass iRebel bitch was the only personality she had, though, since she's basically bland as fuck in the final product. The only trace of what seemed to be the old Jyn was in that scene where she gives a speech to the Rebel Alliance leaders telling them they need to try. But that speech was honestly written like SHIT. Both her "big" speeches were.
>>
>>15079653
Her personality was generally "leave me the fuck alone, I don't want to have anything to do with this shit", which I liked a lot more than iRebel.

The speech was probably a leftover from the rewrites: the idea is that it shows how now she gives a shit and is willing to sacrifice herself for the Rebellion when previously she just wanted them to leave her be. The execution is just a bit clunky, which suggests it was part of the first script but they didn't rewrite the contents of the speech when they were fixing the rest of the script.
>>
>>15079676

I honestly wish they had just combined her and Cassian into one faggot.
>>
>>15079678
I was fine with her and Cassian, and I thought Donnie Yen and his buddy worked fine too. K-2SO was glorious and easily the best droid in the films.

The only character out of the main six I really could have done without was the pilot: I would have merged him with Cassian and brought the core roster down to five.
>>
File: Orbital-bombardment-art.png (2MB, 1280x1086px) Image search: [Google]
Orbital-bombardment-art.png
2MB, 1280x1086px
>>15075225
>when allegedly the guns on an average warship are in that firepower range (hundreds of gigatons).
>Did I mention that the fighter lasers are supposed to be equivalent to kiloton explosions too, so seeing them fire inside the atmosphere
Hint; These numbers were thrown out there by retarded writers that have no idea how to translate what they see onscreen into actual physics.

It's the equivalent of Gundam's mechanical designers saying that an average mobile suit use generators slightly over the megawatt range. Completely fucking retarded. Nobody but powerlevelfags desperate to say "my sci-fi universe > your sci-fi universe" even consider what the numbskulls that wrote those figures have to say.

The closest thing in the actual lore that exists on a comparable level is orbital bombardment via Star Destroyer or similarly powerful ship, but those turbolasers can demolish a building or two, maybe a city block in one shot, not an entire city.
>>
>>15079687
The pilot was the second best character, after K2. Everyone else from the main cast is a combat-hardened badass but you can see that he was just a normal guy stuck in the middle of it all. He's shitting his pants in fear half the time and he could easily run away or hide somewhere if he wanted to, but he knows he can't, he'll do the right thing because if he doesn't the galaxy's fucked.

Also, procured a shuttle offscreen like it's no big deal.
>>
>>15063664
>Also, someone on the production team really, really likes star destroyers. I think all the glamour shots of them and other ships might be why I liked it so much.

Yeah, Rogue One was really a movie for the Star Wars fans in their 30s and 40s that loved the OT when they were kids. Tarkin, Leia, Vader being fucking badass.

Disney knows it needs to give the people who grew up with the OT some love for these first few movies before they start making 100% new Star Wars material, which is coming.

These next 3 or 4 SW movies are the final chapter to the original SW. A slow, gently passing of the baton.
>>
>>15066965
When the ideology is so clearly on display the result is alienating. It's not about the demographics of the actors, but about the commodification of human identity.
>>
>>15063745
It's dark, he can't see shit. Probably shouldn't have busted the lights for dramatic effect.
>>
>>15077845
I realized at the end the I didn't know the names of those two characters, only as Donnie Yen and Donnie's Friend.
>>
>>15075286
It justifies the exhaust vent design flaw as something that was intentionally put in by the Death Star's conspiring designer.
>>
File: decraniated.jpg (187KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
decraniated.jpg
187KB, 900x1200px
>wounded civilians lobotomised and used as servants/sex slaves by off-duty Imperial soldiers
Did Fukui write this?
>>
Goddamn George Lucas still doing samflam gorilla memes in 2016, fuuuuck yoooooou
>>
Was there really no other weak points in Scarif's planet shield thing? If the shielding is so effective, why don't all planets use it to, idk, defend against planet-destroying lasers?
>>
AT-ATs were unexpectedly fragile.
>>
>>15080288
To be fair they are armored transports, their role is to get to the drop point and provide fire support. They are not main battle tanks.
>>
>>15080136
That's grim. That's something you expect from WH40K, not star wars.

Looks like it's handywork of a single individual though, not a galaxy-wide phenomenon.

I think I would prefer a droid. For both of what you said. Like that one with holographic projectors Starkiller had.
>>
>>15080151

Scarif's planetary shield is unlikely to be even close to strong enough for that. It repelled a few bombs, and some turbolasers. There's a huge difference between that and a super laser.
>>
>>15080131

The flaw existed already though. All Rogue One did was lend an origin and explanation to the flaw.
>>
>>15079678

I honestly don't get why people think they would have. They are two separate characters so that the story can have a "unwilling partners work out how to get along" element, and at least the bones of a romance near the finale. If they'd combined those two in to one you'd just get a third, new character to take the place of Cassian as the gruff guy she initially has problems getting along with.
>>
>>15079996

You do realise that no matter what the demographics of the cast it'll show the ideology of at least part of the production team and there'll always be someone taking notice of it?
>>
>>15080288
Scarif was an R&D planet, so they were likley some sort of Prototype.
>>
>>15080331
They had bright orange stripes, and one didn't have side covers.
>>
>>15080288
These were AT-ACTs, which are dedicated cargo hauling units with a larger frame but empty interior, which is a structural weak point.

Supposedly you don't want to use something as slow and lumbering as an AT-AT to transport cargo around but considering that was a planet with lots of jungles and water and shit, it may have been the most practical solution after all.
>>
How many more remakes are they going to make of A New Hope?
>>
>>15074319
i guess with artificial gravity it shouldnt matter. it could just tumble thru space on an open axis and you would never know
>>
>>15080658

How is Rogue One a remake of A New Hope?
>>
>>15080658
I'm personally hoping that Ep. VIII is remake of Empire, so that everyone will start shitting on the new trilogy.
>>
It was pretty boring.

The characters were shits and the battle all blended together. Meh
>>
>>15080151
The Empire probably keeps the planet shield technology just as secret as the Death Star. I doubt anyone else had it, or the resources to build it. At least they figured out you could hide one on a forest moon and use it to shield a Death Star.
>>
>>15080800
>/tv/ gets destroyed in one reply
>>
>>15066826
my response to this is simple:

What difference does it make for Cassian to be an alien versus a "white" guy or a "black" guy or an "asian" guy? The character is just a character.

What I take from your post is you're unhappy that Cassian is portrayed by a hispanic. Meanwhile had he just been an "alien," you'd be okay with that.

My question is, what is the difference? In either case, he may or may not "look" like you. Are you offended when characters "look" like you? Do you feel spoon/force fed when a character is portrayed in a similar appearance to yours or others?

I mean no disrespect, simply trying to gain a better understanding of your position.
>>
>>15081458

You completely misunderstood my post. I'm saying I don't actually give a shit what race Cassian is, unlike diversity shitters who are arguing that he is "practically white."
>>
Saw it in Cinemas and both this and TFA were shit.

Truth be told, it was more exciting watching the prequels when I was younger.

People are overrating these movies like no other just because it's an excuse to get away from the supposedly terrible Star Wars prequels.

I also watched kiddy shit like Miss Preggo and magical beasts, and they were still more entertaining than Rogue One.
>>
>>15080126
There's no scenes of everyone yelling each other's names, which makes it relatively hard to remember them.
>>
>>15080824
>hoping for bad things
You are a bad person. Why can't you hope the movie is good? Hope is not expectations, don't you tell me the odds.
>>
>>15080136
Wouldn't it be cheaper just to build a droid?
>>
I figure I only enjoyed this (and only the third act at that) because of nostalgia for the X-wing books. The mixture of ground commando actions by random misfits and intense space combat with classic fighters and Star Destroyers was like right out of Wraith Squadron.
>>
File: Gen2.jpg (120KB, 600x902px) Image search: [Google]
Gen2.jpg
120KB, 600x902px
Gen liked it. He said something about it giving him the same feelings as when he was writing Fate/Zero.
>>
>>15081479
A blog post with shit taste good job anon!
>>
>>15083027
Gen like G Reco.

You're saying that Rogue One is on the same level as G Reco.
>>
>>15083083
>liking a movie with flat characters, flat dialogue and standard action

check your tastes first you dumb fanboy
>>
>>15083027
Got a link?
>>
File: Gen Rogue One.jpg (26KB, 468x262px) Image search: [Google]
Gen Rogue One.jpg
26KB, 468x262px
>>15083166
On his twitter.
https://twitter.com/Butch_Gen/status/815221560013299713
>>
>>15083027
Literally who?
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.