[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could Wolverine be described as a cyborg?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: uncanny_xmen_giant.jpg (79KB, 550x481px) Image search: [Google]
uncanny_xmen_giant.jpg
79KB, 550x481px
Could Wolverine be described as a cyborg?
>>
>>14901083
No.
>>
>>14901083

Cyborgs are living creatures augmented with robotic parts. Wolverine just has claws and a metal skeleton. No robotic parts at all.
>>
No, his augmentation is simply encasing his claws in adamantium.

That'd be like saying getting a tattoo means you're a cyborg.
>>
It's been stated that the only reason wolverine could be grafted with adamantium in the first place was because of his healing factor. So regardless, he was a mutant before he was anything else.
>>
Nah. He's just got a metal reinforced skeleton, not actual robot parts. You could make a case for the claws back when they were artificial and added with the adamantium but nowadays I'm pretty sure they were there from the start, just bony.
>>
>>14901083
>>14901085
>>14901090
>Cyborgs are living creatures augmented with robotic parts.
>>14901091
>No, his augmentation is simply encasing his claws in adamantium.
>That'd be like saying getting a tattoo means you're a cyborg.
Well technically he does have an artificial prosthesis encasing his bones, so yes, but in the same way wearing glasses also makes you a Cyborg.
>>
No. Hes skelly is metal, but an organicish metal. That's like having a gold tooth and calling it an augment.
>>
>>14901083
>>14901090
As he said, your grampa that got a metal screw in his hip because he screwed you too hard is more of a cyborg than wolverine
>>
cy·borg
ˈsīˌbôrɡ/
noun
noun: cyborg; plural noun: cyborgs
a fictional or hypothetical person whose physical abilities are extended beyond normal human limitations by mechanical elements built into the body.

So yes.
>>
File: Nathan_Summers_(Earth-30847).jpg (58KB, 300x600px) Image search: [Google]
Nathan_Summers_(Earth-30847).jpg
58KB, 300x600px
>>14902186

MECHANICAL being the key word just because it's metal doesn't make it mechanical.

>mechanical
>Adjective
>having to do with machinery

He's augmented by a metal not a machine. Machines do things. So, no. He is by no means a cyborg.

Forge and Cable fit the definition because they have robotic limbs but not wolverine.
>>
>>14902201

Wolverine's claws are coated with metal, but that metal is shaped into a cutting edge. The cutting edge is a simple machine called a wedge which qualifies as a mechanical element built into the body.
>>
>>14902201
I've been wondering for Cable, actually. He's not really augmented, his robot arm is actually a normal arm infected by a comic book techno-virus and he's using most of his psychic powers trying to keep it from turning him into a full terminator
>>
>>14902231

A wedge isn't actually a machine. You could classify it as technology since it's a purpose built object, but a wedge doesn't use energy to perform an action so it's not a machine. His body uses energy to perform an action of cutting, but the wedge is a tool to help that cut.
>>
>>14902240
It's tissue transformed into tissue-like robotics by nanomachines, it sucks for him but still provides augmented strength, vision, and a direct interface for controlling electronics.
>>
Albert >>> ol' Canucklehead
>>
>>14902294
> wedge doesn't use energy to perform an action
It uses externally supplied kinetic energy to perform a task.
>>
>>14902483

A task that he could still perform without that wedge, just not as efficiently. The adamantium is a tool, not a machine. It's no more a machine than a knife is. That uses external energy to. They don't convert the energy though, just redistribute it.
>>
>>14901145

The adamantium skeleton is definitely not a prosthesis. It didn't replace his skeleton or any lost body parts.
>>
>>14902323
Oh hey, I remember this pair from Exiles was it?
>>
Under an extremely loose definition that includes people with conventional prosthetics and 13-year-olds with braces. The conventional denotation requires something with an electrical circuit being attached to and augmenting biological human tissue. The least advanced that gets is someone with a pacemaker.
>>
>>14902883
>Replace
If I get a robotic tail, is it a prosthetic?
>>
>>14902941

I don't care about retarded furry crap.

But his original skeleton is still there, the adamantium didn't replace it.
>>
>>14902941

No, because it's not replacing anything or helping maintain something that's damaged. I'm not sure what you'd call it off hand, but it's not a prosthetic.
>>
>>14902947
It doesn't need to be a replacement to be a prosthetic, is what I was getting at. It just needs to be a new part or organ.

Besides you don't know if the titanium shell replaced his periosteum.
>>
>>14902953
Even though a prosthesis generally connotes a replacement, the textbook definition states that it just has to be an artificial body part.
>>
>>14902987

The text book definition doesn't clarify it has to be a natural body part, but that's certainly the implication in the definition and context of use.
>>
>>14902987

The first result from Google search, which uses the free dictionary or something similar f I recall doesn't - but other dictionaries, like Collins, Mirriam-Websters and medical dictionaries do include that it needs to be replacing a missing body part using artificial means as part of the definition. And I'd give more weight to the medical ones at least personally.
>>
>>14901083

Technically? Yes.

In the sense it's commonly used? No.
>>
>>14903000
>>14902992
So, do we have a word for non-replacement augmentations that don't replace body parts? Because otherwise it seems like a field-specific distinction that the common definition doesn't concern itself with because its scope is greater (i.e., not what exists or is currently possible). And on an ontological level, from the perspective of a "complete" being at any point I'm time, anything that was not present beforehand was "missing". Therefore, anything you add permanently to a body becomes a prosthesis from the viewpoint of the person who has integrated the device into themselves.
>>
>>14903049

> So, do we have a word for non-replacement augmentations that don't replace body parts?

Well we could call them augmentations for a start.
>>
>>>/co/ with you OP
>>
>>14903059
Nominalization sounds even more colloquial than a word that strays only slightly from the technical definition.
>>
>>14903049
You mean like augmentation?
Or enhancement?
>>
>>14903080

Augmentation is a noun though. And the dictionary definition already roughly meets the idea.
>>
>>14903087
>>14903098
Welp. So much for that degree.

It still sounds off. Augmentation of what?
And what's with the resistance to "prosthesis"? Does "prosthetic tail" really sound that much worse than "tail augmentation"?
>>
File: Exiles_Vol_1_86[1].jpg (451KB, 1024x1603px) Image search: [Google]
Exiles_Vol_1_86[1].jpg
451KB, 1024x1603px
>>14902895

They predate Exiles but yeah they showed up in a SUPER WOLVERINE EXTRAVAGANZA
>>
>>14903306
Yeah I never read their origins but I remembered them from this.
>>
>>14903153

Augmentation of yourself. And I'm not really resistant to other, I just don't think prosthetic sounds right but augment does. It seems more accurate since you're adding on to rather than artificially replacing.
>>
>>14903316
No, I don't buy it. "Augmentation" sounds like a pretentious attempt to come up with a cool term for a 90s video game. Prostheses are known (both in real life and scifi) to not only replace, but also extend abilities already. The step from, "replaces a body part with one that has enhanced usage," to, "adds a new body part" is minuscule.

To the original issue, it's absolutely correct to call Wolverine's skeleton a prosthesis.
>>
>>14904131

Haha, okay anon. If you don't want to "buy" it, nobody is forcing you. You can just use the word enhancement or something instead if you want, but the step from "replacing an injured or missing body part" to "adding a whole new body part specifically for transhumanism" is hardly minuscule.
>>
>>14904153
You left out the most important part (mistakenly, I'm sure): "prosthesis" is used for replacement parts that add functionality that wasn't there to begin with. Even in common usage, the idea of a prosthesis being more than a replacement is accepted, so "augmentation" is built into the meaning. Just call it a prosthesis; "augmentation" is redundant.
>>
>>14904264

No, I didn't - because that's not actually part of the definition. I don't agree that it's commonly accepted either to be honest.
>>
File: cable_vs_nate_grey.jpg (341KB, 1007x768px) Image search: [Google]
cable_vs_nate_grey.jpg
341KB, 1007x768px
>>14902201
>>14902240
>>14902319
Liefeld-sized Cablefag weighing in

So, his arm was a Techno-Organic virus derived from Celestial Technology that Apocalypse infected him with as a wee babe.
He is a really, really strong telekinetic (and Telepath), but he had to spend most of his TK energy keeping the virus from overrunning him and killing him.
He actually sacrificed himself in like 2010 to hold open a timegate using the full might of his telekinesis, but of course that let the virus overrun him.
He got cured of it in like 2012 during a mini, but it left his left arm shriveled, so he got a robo arm to compensate in a series later on. Gettng cured sorta screwed up his telepathy and gave him precog powers.
Last year he got his arm and eye healed, but that was apparently retconned. Whether or not he still has T/O or cybernetics hasn't been touched on if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, and his left eye was T/O as well and later Cybernetic.

He'd be one of the strongest meta"humans" in Marvel's powerlevels if not for the constant nerfs.
His alternate reality half-brother--without the T/O--was considered on equal footing with the Phoenix Force in terms of raw power, and another alternate reality half-sister is one of the incredibly small list of people to wield the Phoenix and not go Dark.

Cable was able to hold his own against his half-brother (Nate), with the handicap. Let that sink in.
At the time, Nate ran the risk of burning himself out real fast though.

Sorry. I fucking love Cable.
>>
File: X-Force (2014-) 015-019.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
X-Force (2014-) 015-019.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>14904456
Oh, anyways, all that to say, yes Cable has at multiple times in his history been a cyborg, at least once in the traditional augmented by cybernetics and not a spaceaids one.
As of right now, he does have the metal arm, but I'm not sure if that's removable, the eye assumedly is not.

So yeah, he hasn't been a cyborg for like all of his life except his infancy and like a few pages last year.
>>
>>14904467
>I'm not sure if that's removable
By that I mean whether or not it's an augment or caused by the Techno organic stuff.
>>
>>14903316
>>14904131
>>14904153

How about starting off with the root word 'extension'? Then we tack on a descriptive like 'physiomechanical' or 'cybernetic', you get the idea.
>>
In the earliest iterations of wolvie, his claws were cybernetic implants, but that hasn't been a thing since like the mid 80s I wanna say.
>>
>>14904673
That was a thing until the metal was ripped out of him. The first explanation for the bone claws was his body growing into the cavity where the implants used to be.
>>
>>14901083
No.

A cyborg is a living being that has mechanical prosthetics/mechanical parts that enhance his capabilities.

Wolverine's adamantine skeleton is all but mechanical. It's essentially his skeleton covered in absurdly durable metal.
>>
>>14904673
In the earliest iterations they were just built in his gloves. Them being actual part of his body came later.
Then again we're talking really early there, like back when he was a Hulk villain early.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.