[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mechamon Playtest fixed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 15

File: get_hype.jpg (219KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
get_hype.jpg
219KB, 1024x768px
Hey /m/,

Thankfully the last thread was bumped off before we got much attention; there were a couple of bugs that are now fixed.

Anyway, here's the playtest.
http://pastebin.com/EDWyWq3A

Here's the design doc, where you can see the roster, as well as what we're going for
http://pastebin.com/a3a1apLG

We're releasing this just to show that the game is actively being worked on, again, we're not Crashman or X-Wing, just two anons who live nearby each other. This playtest took about two weeks to make, and neither of us had any prior experience with RPGMXP before starting.

Comments and criticism are encouraged, especially regarding the roster, there's over 100 open slots for mechs that need to be filled, so don't be shy.
>>
File: Getter3.png (2KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
Getter3.png
2KB, 64x64px
>>14579998
The Getter-3 should be in there, I'm not sure how to type it, though. Suggestions are open for evo lines, attack names, and abilities too.
>>
File: Barracks.png (74KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Barracks.png
74KB, 1366x768px
>>
>>14586136
Gonna try this out OP.

Couple of questions:
How do you plan on implementing combiners?
Will SRW Originals be included?
And where the fuck is the shuffle alliance?
>>
File: thumbsup.jpg (15KB, 387x300px) Image search: [Google]
thumbsup.jpg
15KB, 387x300px
>>14586360
Combining is something we are working on as well as transforming, so we aren't sure yet.

We always welcome recommendations for mechs and characters. We currently don't have assets for the shuffle alliance but we can certainly look into getting them.

We also will consider adding SRW OG's if they fit into our roster.

Thanks anon
>>
>>14586477
SRW J had the Shuffle Alliance, if that helps.
So did A Portable
>>
>>14586487
hmm, if thats the case then we can probably get them in our roster.
>>
>>14586477
What's the limit for how advanced you can get with the sprites? GBA-level?
>>
>>14586551
We stretched thin the 3rd gen assets that come with the Pokemon essentials kit in Rpg maker.

We are looking for people to help us with tile sets and sprites. Hopefully it will look as good as 4th-5th gen games. We are also trying to expand our own knowledge and ability regarding sprit work.

As for SWR sprites, we are gonna use the best ones that we can, without making them all seem as though they come from completely different games.
>>
>>14586726
So odds are we're going to mostly be seeing J, Reversal, and MAYBE Compact 3 sprites, not counting the OGs? Or do you think you might be able to stretch into the DS games?
>>
Some first impressions:
Scrolling looks weird, especially when running
The Ship is a cool concept, far more convenient than running around to different towns. It would be a nice touch if you could collect more crew members somehow. I don't mean Barracks-style little interactions(although props on those, its a great feature), I mean something like a daycare or some move tutors .
Newtype flash as the Hangar sound is a nice touch.
Units with Quantum Thrust should be a bit more useful, as the Musai seems pretty shit.
Do a better job of defining the entrance/exits on the space map. Maybe have those guide lasers that you see in UC Gundam shows?
Please give health bars animations for going down instead of just teleporting down.
Luluco and Nono are useless tier pilots currently

Mostly these are nitpicks and notes for future releases. You've got a solid start here, already far more polished than most /m/ fangames ever are.
>>
>>14586786
If you include 00 and Quan[t], you should totally give them Quantum Thrust.
>>
>>14586786
After finishing the space section:
That Fight for Justice was a nice touch, props
Having infantry battles with separate characters seems kinda unnecessary. Personally, I don't like having to switch to a totally different team at different parts of the level. There is also some potential for terrain ranking SRW style, where some mechs have a bonus when fighting on a certain terrain(Space, Water, Earth, etc).
>>
>>14586161
Getter 3 fag here, I'm not completely sure what types you guys are using in the game.
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 544x544px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 544x544px
>>14586551
We're currently using the generic tileset that comes with Pokemon Essentials, with some random tiles from SRW added in where needed

Like my friend said we really need some help with tiles, soon we'll throw up a survey for what artstyle you'd all prefer

>>14586767
We're using the highest quality sprites we have/can find

If someone pops up with ds quality sprites of our current roster we'll replace our assets right away

>>14586786
Movesets and stats aren't final, for sure, we only added moves that we made animations for

Great idea with the guides

>>14586904
Terrain bonus is confirmed, the mechanic exists already, we just need to replace the animations

>>14586360
Combining mechs exist thanks to Shu, I'm not sure how to balance it, maybe it just changes type? We're brainstorming

OGs are in if you want 'em, big empty roster

SUPER ASIA
>>
File: image.png (2KB, 72x136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2KB, 72x136px
>>14587064
The types are just renamed versions of Pokemon types

>fire=explosive etc.

There is a type list available that was attached to our design doc.
>>
http://pastebin.com/pnQufbDs

A direct link to the spreadsheet with the roster, types, pilots, etc
>>
>>14586904
For the future, you will select your infantry team at the start of the mission/dungeon and they will remain with you.
>>
>>14587064
Okay, for Getters I'd say have them all be primarily courage. Then as a call back to the original purpose I'd say something like Aerial for 1, Ground for 2, and Marine for 3. But again thats just me.

Also I'd like to suggest a few mechamon. I love Victory grunts, so could Gun-EZ be added to the V Gundam evolution line? Also I see Codarl and Venom, but no Gernsback and Arbalest. Also Vigna Ghina with no F91?
Definitely put in Vorlent->Raftclanz, maybe the other J originals. I would love to see the A originals as non-evolving mechamons.

VF-22 is my favorite, so I will always root for that.
>>
This is just a personal gripe, but I'm not a fan of permadeath at all. Plus wouldn't it make more sense to have a system where you can pay to repair your mech?
I don't know how other anons feel about this.
>>
>>14587345
We came up with the idea for permadeath because that's how the shows are. Your favorite characters and mechs go out there and put their lives on the line for the cause. We thought it would be a good way to amp up the intensity. However we are open to making it an optional mode.
>>
>>14587449
I'd be more than happy with an optional Nuzlocke mode, but I don't know if I'm the minority in that regard.
>>
File: image.jpg (142KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142KB, 500x354px
>>14587544
Once we get the ball rolling again we will be polling on /m/ so we will get to see what people want. Feel free to cast in your opinion then too.

Right now we are trying to get interest in the project and get people to play the play test
>>
>>14587544
Definitely seconding an optional nuzlocke mode, since that Gouf wiped my party.
>>
>>14587601
You'll get him next time
>>
File: image.gif (1021KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1021KB, 500x374px
>>14587601
>>
>>14587616
>>14587619
Well, after I got him, I got killed in the first infantry battle. 3 consecutive Auto Pistols with 5 hits each+critical hits... ;_;
>>
>>14587635
Damn, well that's Pokemon style bad luck for ya
>>
Currently downloading the playtest, but I'm just wondering after reading the design doc.

Do you intend to implement, say, some equivalent of legendary pokemon?

For form changing robots, maybe something similar to Castform's mechanic could do it? Castform changes form according to the weather in Gen 3, after all.
>>
File: image.png (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
6KB, 300x168px
>>14587814
Hm we can look into castform and try to break his code down to fit our need.

Of course we will have legendaries. They are on the roster but not obviously labeled. While we do want you guys to see everything we are working on, we do want to keep some surprises
>>
>>14587950
/m/-tan as a legendary please
>>
>>14587958
maybe
>>
>>14587958 #
SOON

The 3 Evas function as the 3 birds, and the macross/exelion are the "legendary" ships but the major legends are indecided

>>14587601 #
A lot of people are asking for it, so we'll probably add it

For combining mechs, we'll need permission from Shu to use his scripts, or we'll cook up our own

For record's sake got permission to use any assets from /vp/'s Pokemon Sage
>>
I think Getter should be Energy/Aerial-Marine-Ground
Depending on the numbers.
>>
I assume Boss Borot is gonna secretly be the most overpowered mechamon?
>>
>>14588108
>The 3 Evas function as the 3 birds, and the macross/exelion are the "legendary" ships
I suggest Mazinger/Mazinkaiser as the Registeel equivalent.
Break Blade's Delphine as Regirock
>>
>>14588108
For the Macross, wouldn't it be more appropriate to let it be done like a "fossil" mechamon/ship?

Like, the player can find the wreck of what would be the Macross somewhere, and can bring it back to be rebuilt, thus giving the player the Macross for use?
It can still retain its legendary status if you want, I'd imagine its relevance to the plot is something about it defending against aliens or something.

Anyway, the playtest is pretty smooth, though there's some invisible walls here and there.
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>14588563
Like I said before, we are open to all suggestions. And yes there were some minor bugs that we couldn't find answers to. However we are working to gain a better understanding of the engine
>>
>>14588563
Invisible walls? Do you remember where? The one around the meteor/colony are there on purpose

There is a bug inherent to the engine, where if you set the screen size to Large or greater, tearing will appear on some larger tiles

Macross as a "fossil" is a good idea, we'll be hanging on to that, for sure.

Type chart is nearly the same as vanilla, with a buff to Ice(Artillery) and Rock(Courage)
>>
Are any braves in this?
>>
>>14589680
The last area with the boss fight, you can't actually reach the ladder from the top despite there being an empty space and have to enter the ladder from the right side.
>>
I'm not sure if you want to, but I just started and it seems silly that Focus energy is called Focus Energy. I'm not sure which units end up getting it other than the RX-78-2 but have you considered renaming it something like Targeting computer, or maybe Take aim?
>>
>>14592803
We forgot to rename it, we'll call it Take Aim something close for next release

>>14591849
Gotcha, thanks for pointing it out!
>>
I'm just gonna write down my thoughts as I play:
>Not sure about having Yang as the professor. This is just my personal opinion but that role seems like it would fit a 70s Super Robot Professor, not a Space Admiral with a love for history. I'm not at all opposed to having Yang as a major part of the game though.
>Is there a way to full screen it, or even just get the screen a little bigger?
>I like this idea of the bridge, but having to go back to a certain character to reach your Mechamon moves disrupts the flow of a usual pokemon game. In a usual pokemon game there's always this forward progression, and very little reason to back track to each town. If you need to teach a pokemon a new move you just need to select a TM from your items, not backtrack to the starting town. So if you're going to have a character program the mechamon moves you'll either need to a) build the map to make backtracking way easier, b) have a bridge in every town, or c) give the player an ability like FLY right off the bat.
>An "Active Movie Window" keeps popping up everytime I enter space.
>The entrances to the first colony you leave from could be marked off clearer. There were a few times when I'd reenter accidently because I misjudged how far away I was from the entrance. Also, this might be just me, but I'd put some asteroid belts or space junk to act as 'walls' for the player instead of just having the ship collided with the end of the map.
>The health bars seem fucked visually. Instead of the green bar getting smaller towards one end, it's shrinking towards the middle.
>Big O's sprite is completely covered by the bottom menu
>The game crashed as soon as I blacked out.

But overall I had a lot of fun with this, and I would really like to see the project reach it's full potential. As other anons have said, this is a good start, better that SRW E and whatever the autists are doing over at Kamen Rider RPG.
>>
>>14593547
we chose yang to function as the professor because the professor is the one who starts your journey. Yang will function in the full game as your superior officer who gives pull you your mission. However we can look into other characters to function as more of a professor archetype

You will be able to access your items and use tms at any time. The move tutor, who is a specific character will be accessible on the ship.

You can full screen it via the options menu but Pokemon essentials graphics are not meant to be seen in full screen so it may look a bit weird.

I'm not really sure what the "active movie window" bug is but it never came up in any of our playtests and we haven't heard anyone else encounter it. We can look into it for you, but it may also be an issue with your computer.

Due to the limitations of the Pokemon essentials tilesets, we weren't able to make the space route look as good as we wanted. We are working on gaining more tilesets to make a better looking game.

The health bars are also a bit tiny. We would need to create a new user interface in order to fix it. That is also on our list of things to work on.

I don't know how you found Big O, as he is not supposed to appear in this play test. Can you tell us where you found him?

Lastly we weren't able to mess with the game over script to make it so it didn't send you back to a specific location. It kept sending us to the Pokemon trainers house, so we used a crash as a silly way to say game over.

Thanks anon for your feedback keep up with us during development
>>
File: 1449352133193.png (37KB, 528x423px) Image search: [Google]
1449352133193.png
37KB, 528x423px
>>14593547
>Also, this might be just me, but I'd put some asteroid belts or space junk to act as 'walls' for the player instead of just having the ship collided with the end of the map.
Same thing happened to me as well.

When you get healed by Nono or Luluco it says "XXX restored a little HP using it's Luluco/Nono" That should probably be changed to something else.

Also a suggestion, make luluco the "normal/typeless" move booster or maybe do something that prevents status effects (since she just wants to be normal) and do something else entirely with Nono.

Maybe add a few mechanics or support staff as pilots for the heal/recovery items, that are basically pilots but don't actually fight in whatever series they're in.

Luluco doesn't heal on the other turns when using moves like Tendril, I'm not sure if that's the pokemon rules or what, but it seems like after attacks should trigger another heal.

It's also probably just me, but even if you replaced the "main ship" (assuming that's what the first hub is) with an actual ship instead of a house it would probably be less confusing. I wasn't sure if it was meant to be a ship or something like a command center. You could probably get away with having it be some random cruise ship from the pokemon games and calling it the Yamato or something like that.

When units take burn damage it says they were hurt by their burn, I'd suggest changing the wording to something like "the fire spreads" or something like that, since the initial text says they caught fire.

>>14593731
>I don't know how you found Big O, as he is not supposed to appear in this play test. Can you tell us where you found him?
He's found when you're selecting your initial ground crew.
>>
File: 1441465128427.png (36KB, 528x423px) Image search: [Google]
1441465128427.png
36KB, 528x423px
>>14593760
Also just adding, the screenshot was my own, I just use a filename randomizer so that's why it looks like it was saved off 4chan.
Same issue happens with turn a, and if any of the pokemon units are selected it's just a blank space.
>>
>>14593760
>>14593777
Also sorry to keep posting, but Recover should probably be changed to nanomachines/first aid/field repair.
>>
When you find the secret room, and talk to the snorlax the game crashes.
>>
>>14593760
Ah yes when you select anyone other than the pilot characters the mechs are undersized. We were originally using the Elite battle system, but it was distorting animations, so we switched back. However during the switch, all mechs became incorrectly sized. Since they arent truly supposed to be used in the playtest, we didn't resize them all again. Every mech/pilot will be properly sized.

Having repair crews as items is a good idea and we will look into that.

We are gonna change types and abilities many times before full release so all recommendations are welcome.

Regarding changing flavor text,
>was burned etc.
We will for sure have it all done. It's possible that in our excitement to release this playtest, we may have missed some

In the future, the port area where you aces the ship will look different. As I mentioned before, we are looking to do an overhaul of the tilesets which include buildings, backgrounds and the like. We will 100% have better looking buildings and ships. We won't need to use the cruise ship because we'll have actual sprites. We are currently looking for Sprite artists to help us with tilesets and characters.

I'm not sure about the healing issue regarding tendril but we will look into it.

>>14593787

We are in the process of renaming all attacks and abilities

>>14593839
The crash in the secret room is meant as a silly joke. If you were able to get to the room it means you had finished the play test anyway.
>>
File: image.gif (43KB, 300x227px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
43KB, 300x227px
I'd also like to mention that this is the ONLY project that we are working on, so you guys don't need to worry that we will abandon this for another game/project. We intend to release a full, unique experience for you all as soon a we can.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.