[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RPGs/Roleplaying Games/WGs/Wargaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: trio1.jpg (83KB, 1440x773px) Image search: [Google]
trio1.jpg
83KB, 1440x773px
Hey /m/, I'm looking to run a Jovian Chronicles RP using the 1st edition book, Discord for VoIP communication, and Roll20 for the actual playing. Manual and supplements can be linked as needed. CST evenings. Looking to accommodate interested people during that time.

Two players have already showed interest. I've ran Shadowrun and Cascade Failure campaigns before and particiapted in a wide range of other RPs. The setting and level of "realism" in terms of mecha is dependent on the group consensus, but the RP will be seriously taken. The included setting is likely going to be our universe with the group being a rag-tag militia funded by the outer planets, but I have no issues creating my own fluff or lifting from another source to jump off of.

Discord: https://discord.gg/rb5Qpf6

Otherwise, this is an RP/WG thread. Mekton, Heavy Gear, Battletech, Jovian Chronicles, Mobile Frame Zero, etc. I'll post some images and link a pdf or two.
>>
File: robutt1.jpg (300KB, 1836x2448px) Image search: [Google]
robutt1.jpg
300KB, 1836x2448px
>>
File: robutt2.jpg (399KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
robutt2.jpg
399KB, 4032x3024px
I only have legos in my folder, apparently. Might scrounge through my other image folders for related works.
>>
>>14444053
>>>/tg/
>>
File: robutt3.jpg (125KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
robutt3.jpg
125KB, 400x350px
>>14444094
keep being retarded
>>
File: Kerykeion Mark III Apex.png (599KB, 1008x631px) Image search: [Google]
Kerykeion Mark III Apex.png
599KB, 1008x631px
>>14444053
Oh hey, I remember designing that frame.

Mine's gone through a few enhancements in the meantime. Still trying to work out a better elbow system.
>>
File: robutt4.jpg (193KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
robutt4.jpg
193KB, 1024x768px
>>14444200
You checked out the designs from Mobile Frame Zero and its community? I'm sure you've check a bunch of lego flickrs and brick image sites.
>>
I always used Mutants and Masterminds for my /m/ games but I want to try out Chris Perrin' Mecha RPG. Unfortunately I was too busy with work and real life to start a game, but does anyone have experience with that system? It's a bit obscure, and the generic name doesn't help. But it looks neat on paper.
>>
Man, I remember Jovian Chronicles.SRW when!!?
>>
>>14444053
> Mekton

Man, Mekton was so good. Such a shame what's happened with it.
>>
>>14444053
Sounds fun, too bad you're not in my time zone.
>>
I tried to run a Mekton campaign a few years back that went totally smoothly until we got to combat. Nobody wanted to bother with the math.

Then I read up on Jovian Chronicles but the same group was totally uninterested, because of the Mekton campaign.

I both need to be a better GM and find better players.
>>
Fa/tg/uy here.

Mekton hasn't aged well, it suffers really bad from singular godstat syndrome and the skill advancement is completely fucked. The combat isn't that great compared to modern RPGs but is a pretty easy fix since you can lay it on top of other systems fairly simply.

Jovian Chronicle's Silhouette system, which Heavy Gear also uses, has two rulesets combined into one. One is RPG rules, the other is tactical wargame rules for mecha combat. If you find the wargame rules too complex (trust me, they are, ESPECIALLY the fucking space combat) then either treat space combat like aerial combat, or drop the wargame rules completely and run mecha combat the same way you run character combat.

>>14444255
M&M mecha is... weird. It didn't appeal to me personally but I can see that some people would like it. Chris Perrin's Mecha is really, really bland. And the dumb target grid thing is just dumb it doesn't work very well and there are a lot of weapons and abilities that completely break the game because of it.

Some of my personal recommendations for mecha RPGs that are fast, simple, and exciting are Battle Century G and Fate Accelerated, or Fate Core, but I prefer Fate Accelerated, and Mini Six. The BCG is straight up a mecha RPG meant to be fast and simple, a lot of /tg/ highly recommend it. Fate/Fate Accelerated have a number of mecha addons of varying quality and complexity, my personal favorite is the mecha rules from "Mecha vs Kaiju" because it gives you more options and variety for systems than pretty much every other Fate based mecha game. Mini Six is a simplified version of WEG's old D6 system from the original Star Wars RPG, and works pretty well with all other D6 system material, so it's not hard to hash out mecha with various D6 vehicle construction rules, there's even a Heavy Gear D6 conversion that's great.

Oh, also of course there's Battletech/Mechwarrior. Pretty much the granddaddy of mecha tabletop games outside Japan.
>>
>>14447106
>Nobody wanted to bother with the math.
Mekton's math complexity comes purely from the mecha construction rules. In combat the only math it uses is 1d10+modifiers, and if they couldn't be bothered with that then they just shouldn't be playing RPGs at all.
>>
>>14447106
Mathy combat is the draw for me personally, and the only people I know who are into RPG's always try to minimise rules and crunch. Buggers don't even read the rulebooks and they blame the rules when the game are slow.
>>
>>14447157
Mekton's combat is honestly the opposite of mathy, though.
>>
>>14447158
Yeah i just saw that above comment, your right, i said that because i've never been able to run a game. I should say the math in the mech construction is the draw for me.
>>
Since my gaming sessions are restricted to two hours a piece (organized activities...) I just go with the best system ever for everything, including the Macross crossover I've got ongoing: the old WEG Star Wars system, creatively interpreted as "roll a bucket of dice behind the GM screen, go with the coolest option no matter what they say". Players only fail if they fail hilariously.

Apparently I'm the best GM they've ever had in the group.
>>
>>14447157
I like the complexity of Heavy Gear's rules. I like Heavy Gear's universe.

I like Heavy Gear.

I wish people would play Heavy Gear with me.
>>
>>14447369
There's a new edition of the Heavy Gear RPG finally getting fucking worked on, I'm really hoping it 1) doesn't suck, and 2) doesn't get shelved.

Also some folk on /tg/ were getting a HG game together, but it ended up going the way of 90% of /tg/ arranged campaigns (everyone disappearing after the first round of emails).
>>
>>14447385
A new edition is nice. Is there a KS? I'd love to support them beyond my thousands of bucks of unpainted HG minis.

One thing I really like about HG is the way it integrates indirect fire and information warfare. I don't think any other games do that.
>>
>>14447395
There's no KS but there is a playtest buy-in.

http://arkritepress.com/store/
>>
>>14447407
>http://arkritepress.com/store/
Excellent. Thanks.

I have some of the rules for Jovian Chronicles, but nobody played them with me (I had a few PBP games for HG).

So I was just wondering if you could do a Gundam-style campaign where the Jovians are cunts and CEGA dindu nuffin and is just trying to get their shit back together.
>>
>>14447421
>So I was just wondering if you could do a Gundam-style campaign where the Jovians are cunts and CEGA dindu nuffin and is just trying to get their shit back together.
Easily, because that's exactly how CEGA sees themselves. Even though the core rules make it look like Jovians = good guys, CEGA = bad guys, some of the later books made it a point to emphasize that they're both good guys in their own perspective and are both actually pretty douchey in reality.
>>
>>14447430
I picked up Metal Armor Dragonar around the same time I gave JC a read, so for a long time I wanted to have the Earthican PCs steal three prototype exos from the Jovians and have adventures while being chased by them. Never took off since PBP games tend to die, but I thought there was potential.

Anyway. HG is way more interesting to me, since the Southern cultures seem far more varied and unique than the North's ice + religion thing. I confess I haven't read the North fluff closely, though.
>>
>>14447438
>I wanted to have the Earthican PCs steal three prototype exos from the Jovians and have adventures while being chased by them
I'm actually running a game for my group that is exactly that, well, that except they're Jovians who stole prototypes from CEGA, built with help and funding from Venus, and all being puppeteered into an all-out war by a warmongering Venusian in a position to make a shitton of money and influence gains on both sides of the conflict.
>>
>>14447452
Do they have a jazzy theme song and three love interests/bridge bunnies as well as a rivalry with a CEGAn ace pilot whose little sister found her way onto their team?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__qOm2rhu8Y
>>
>>14447457
>Do they have a jazzy theme song
Yes.

>and three love interests/bridge bunnies

>as well as a rivalry with a CEGAn ace pilot
Yes.

>whose little sister found her way onto their team?
Daughter of a Venusian banker who may or may not be in league with the puppeteer.
>>
File: 08mst-v1c_1024.jpg (280KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
08mst-v1c_1024.jpg
280KB, 1024x768px
>>14447452
>>14447463
So. Fucking. Jealous.

Somewhere in my notes is Jovian Chronicles: Operation Meteor, where my big plan for the campaign is to get the PC's to wage a proxy war on CEGA with Free Earth. At some point I got bogged down in sketching up Mother Base Simulator 2207...

At some point I should finish it.
>>
>>14447407
What, do they mail you the rules or what?
>>
>>14454196
They have a sooper sekrit play test forum and download links. You get an email about it once you sign up. You do get a kind of badass patch in the mail, though.
>>
>>14454284
Assuming it hasn't failed already seeing as how they haven't updated for months.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.