[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

shut up /tv/ I don't care

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

File: gipsy.jpg (50KB, 550x875px) Image search: [Google]
gipsy.jpg
50KB, 550x875px
https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/727329058661474305

Possible Pacific Rim 2 tease?
>>
>>14187227
I never went on /m/ when pacific rim was a thing but I liked it, fuck the not-rei though, she almost ruined the whole movie.

What was /m/'s verdit?
>>
>>14187227
/m/ - /viral marketing/ general
>>
>>14187262
>she almost ruined the whole movie.
Faggot

>>14187263
Faggot
>>
>>14187262

Many liked it, then the the people from /tv/ and /co/ came and apparently we hate it now.
>>
>>14187270
Come now.

>>14187262
>the not-rei
I'm not certain I follow.
>>
>>14187262
>What was /m/'s verdict?

>>14187269
>Faggot

/m/ in a nutshell
>>
>>14187262
My take?

ID4 with giant robots. Big, dumb, and thoroughly enjoyable.

The show did play it safe, and never ended up as anything special (Which I still think was done to try to establish the franchise, and not scare off normalfags) but still worth a watch.

And Gipsy danger is a thing of beauty.

>fuck the not-rei though
I never saw ANYTHING of Rei in Mako to be honest. She was a damaged, revenge driven character who was too ambitious, made bad fuck ups, and showed emotion. Her relationship with Stacker was a standard father daughter relationship and wasn't creepy.

The blue hair streak was a horrible design decision though.
>>
>>14187270
Fuck /tv/ and fuck /co/. At least /tv/ gave up on the 'plebcific rim' shit, but they still need to get over their irrational hate boner for this show. '

That thread last week was bait, with a bait op, and got bait responses. I'm not sure if it would be a good barometer for what /m/ actually thinks.
>>
>>14187306
>>14187284
>>14187306
>>14187284
Mako gave me the same vibes as Rei in the sense that she is this cute (portrayed, I detest the actor choice tbqh), mysterious girl who has a shrouded past and is capable enough to fuck your shit up if needed,

She strike me as the Rei I felt from reading the Eva manga, poor choice of word on my part maybe but it's like 5 am here and I am tired as shit.
>>
PacRim is awesome. I was still hyped for days after watching it. Rinko a cute too. Real life animu girl with the hair and eyebrows. The just so accent on her english and "for my family". The Loli Rinko in the flashback.
>>
File: SWORD.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
SWORD.webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>14187306
>this
>not special
The sequence is perfect.
>inb4 muh plot holes
Not really. It showed Gipsy getting retrofitted. It requires a bit of suspension of disbelief to assume everyone forgot to tell Raleigh about the sword (although not impossible, surgeons leave sponges, scalpels, etc. inside people), but no more so than the conceit of giant monsters materializing from the center of the ocean.

And for those of you that think that's "turning your brain off", I have two responses:
1) Look at the way that sequence is shot. There aren't very many directors capable of pulling that off and still having it look good. I'm talking about the momentum, the framing, the lighting. It's brilliant. I could watch it over and over again admiring the detail.
2) If I was turning my brain off, how'd I do those mental gymnastics? Obviously, I'm being facetious, but I think you understand
"Just turn your brain off!" is perhaps the most unfortunate thing to happen to moviegoing since Cinerama.

>>14187316
/tv/ has, like they often do, warmed up very much to PacRim.
>>
China should play a bigger role in this movie.
>>
>>14188068
Crimson Typhoon was pretty rad
>>
File: kaiju_dentist.jpg (142KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kaiju_dentist.jpg
142KB, 1920x1080px
>>14187377
>longest bladed weapon so far
>in the middle of a dense city
>with skyscrapers all around the street
>beneath of which contains public shelters
>filled to the brim with people and also their scientist
>yeah let's cut her up!
A good sign of who should not pilot Jaegers.

>dude turn your brain off
>lmao big dumb
It really makes a good show of when people "appreciate" only the most superficial things, and even then can't do it right. No, I don't love the Knifehead battle because it's "fun". I love it because it was tense and portrayed kaiju as terrifying, which made it engaging. I was definitely glued to the screen during the hurricane speech and I'm sure that wasn't "fun". Seeing this behemoth wading through the sea accompanied by a speech about how humanity can win was incredibly moving. It can't say it's "fun" all the time, but it is entertaining throughout.

People need to stop dehumanzing genre films. Viewers and makers alike.
>>
>>14187262
Fun robot vs monster movie.
>>
>>14187377
Remember, that was only the second time Rayleigh and Mako had gotten into the Gipsy since it got retrofitted, and the first time was an activation test that went completely wrong. There was no reason to update Rayleigh on the Gipsy's loadout if they were working under the assumption that he wasn't going to be piloting for a while - and he wasn't, until the EMP screwed the other Jaegars.
>>
>>14187227

I am, sad to say it, no longer excited by the prospect of a Pacific Rim 2.

Del Toro is no longer part of the project, Legendary and WB were fighting over ownership of the movie and while they came to a deal Del Toro got dropped out entirely during negotiations.

They won't even be using his script he has prepared.

Instead, they are bringing in the guy whose two best selling works are the last couple seasons of LOST and ruining the Prometheus movie by selling Ridley Scott on his version of the script that decides to not really be an alien prequel and instead have all this fancy religious symbolism.

I would be apprehensive as fuck about any version of PacRim where Del Toro was no longer overseeing it, since he was the heart and mind of the first movie, but the new writer is fundamentally incapable of writing plots that are not "ask 10 questions, answer 1 of them, promise answers to the rest in the sequel, repeat."
>>
File: Bust a Move.gif (745KB, 400x222px) Image search: [Google]
Bust a Move.gif
745KB, 400x222px
>>14188460
Let's not forget the Kaiju Blue. I really wish that the movie would go into more detail on that.

Maybe i'm overanalyzing, but i think there is some tactics and choreagraphy involved when they fight the Kaijus. The idea seems to be that since Kaiju Blue contaminate everything it touches, the Jeagers bludgeon them to make them dizzy and confused and then finishes them of with special weapons they have on board. Why do they wait to bring out the "finishers" untill the end? Because the Kaijus are learning how the Jeagers work. Remember Knifehead? As soon as he got back up and attacked he went for the arm with the plasma cannon. He also tore out a part of the head, and Yancy along with it, making Gipsy partally immobilized while he tore it apart. He only lost because he didn't know about/payed attention to the plasma cannon in the other arm. And after this fight, the Jeagers started loosing. The Kaiju hivemind probably shared Knifeheads experiences with any future Kaijus, teaching them where the weak spots are. What I'm trying to say is that the Jaeger pilots are holding back and only bring out swords, cannons etc when it's absolutley necessary to hinder the Kaijus from learning more about the Jeagers.
>>
>>14188460
>>turn your brain off
People keep saying that whenever Pacrim is criticised which I personally find to be fucking stupid, because all it means is that the only people who can enjoy it are brain-dead retards.
>>
DESU I hated the film even back when /m/ was still raving about it and having twice daily generals.
>>
Was the thread moved?
>>
>>14188606
>They won't even be using his script he has prepared

Uh oh. I'm hoping his producer role means something, but that is worrying. The current screenwriter is a legendary hack.
>>
>>14187263
If you're wasting your time viral marketing here of all places you should be fired for your incompetence.
>>
>>14188645
>Let's not forget the Kaiju Blue. I really wish that the movie would go into more detail on that.

What more detail do you really need? All you really need to know is that it's toxic and comes from the Kaiju.
>>
>>14188645
>Maybe i'm overanalyzing, but i think there is some tactics and choreagraphy involved when they fight the Kaijus.
You're not overanalyzing. There was a pretty amazing amount of thought put into the movie's choreography. The toxic blood, the evolving kaiju tactics/morphologies, and other such details all played a heavy role in the way the fights were set up.

The Hong Kong fight is probably my favorite example. From the moment that battle starts, it's very clear that the kaiju involved were explicitly designed to counter the defending jaegers. Every one of their gimmicks is tailor-made to shut down one or more of the jaegers, which is why the battle was so one-sided until Gipsy showed up - it was an unknown, a card that humanity hadn't revealed yet. Its presence threw a wrench into the works, since it was going in with essentially the same advantage - its pilots had already seen what its opponents were capable of, while its own tricks were still unknown.

But of course, people "turned their brains off" and ended up complaining about how "Cherno and Crimson jobbed, and Gipsy won through plot armor."
>>
>>14188648
I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept that you had to turn your brain off to enjoy Pacific Rim.

Registering intense action require a level of brain activity.
>>
Seriously, Pacific Rim wasn't any dumber than your average spandex shit.

Fucking murricans and their capeshit.

The plot was simplistic, but for its own good. It actually allowed the actors to express their characters more freely.
>>
not particularly related but remember Monsterpocalypse? the kaiju/robot/whatever game that was optioned for movies?
Hollywood Reporter says Warners won a bidding war on the rights
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/monsterpocalypse-movie-warner-bros-wins-890002
http://archive.is/qxI75
>Warner Bros has won the heated bidding war for the adaptation of Monsterpocalypse, the cult board game, with Fede Alvarez, helmer of the Evil Dead remake, attached to co-write and direct.
>>
>>14187262

I enjoyed it for what it was, which was a big dumb action movie with giant robots. Anyone who went in expecting anything more than a big dumb action movie with giant robots is an idiot.
>>
Pacific Rim is a true representation of a mastery of cinematography, a zenith almost worthy of being called kino.
>>
>>14189331
I wondered what happened to that. At least Burton isn't attached anymore.
>>
>>14189515
it stalled out and went nowhere for a while, I suspect due to PR and (then in production) Robopocalypse. Apparently it's less going nowhere now.

Is the game still a thing?
>>
>>14188068
I'm tired of seeing chinese ticket sale bait in american movies.
>>
>>14189533

No idea. Last I heard Privateer was running it into the ground, and wasn't supporting it much.
>>
>Gipsy Danger is analog.
>>
>>14188645
Both arms have plasma cannons. Otherwise yeah pretty much.
>>
>>14190576
>Both arms have plasma cannons.
The second one was added in the refit, wasn't it? At the time of the Knifehead fight, it only had one.
>>
>>14190559
i think if they full on said
"its nuclear thats why"
it would have incurred creative licensing issues with giant robo, not that japan is nearly as anal about that kind of stuff as US law, but still
>>
>>14191039
No, Knifehead cuts off Raleigh's side's plasma cannon (and arm), so after his brother gets nom'd he switches his controller hand to the other function arm and activates the plasma cannon.

>>14190559
Yeah, that was a bit silly. I think it would have fit much better to say that because Gipsy was nuclear, she was more resistant to EMP or was able to reactivate faster or whatever.
>>
>>14189490
Shut the fuck up /tv/ nobody cares about your stupid fucking Kino.
>>
File: USC Motion Picture Taxonomy.jpg (443KB, 1254x1138px) Image search: [Google]
USC Motion Picture Taxonomy.jpg
443KB, 1254x1138px
>>14189490
USC agrees
>>
What are you guys going on about? I used to go to /tv/ pretty often at the time of the movie, and it wasn't particularly hated, no more than anything else that doesn't go under the radar.
>>
>>14187227
>Possible Pacific Rim 2 tease?
>https://society6.com/product/pacific-rim-wi2_print#1=45
You bastard motherfucker, my heart skipped a beat because of your spoiler.
>>14187270
I still believe that all the shit the film got during its opening week on /tv/ was made by WB shills, the rest was sheer inertia.
>>14189276
I think the same, also don't forget Leatherback and Otachi arrive after Newt drifts with the dead kaiju brain, it's possible the Precursors were only going to send more and more kaiju like Gottlieb predicted but the drift leaked the jaeger's info and they changed their strategy.
Even perhaps Otachi's tongue was a mean to complete the drift and steal all the info Newt had about the human race.
>>
File: ultraman fe3.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ultraman fe3.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
>>14188645
Now that you mention it, the priority of dizzying your enemies to make time for your special weapons is exactly how it is in pic related. As far as damage goes, normal attacks<grabs<specials. The physical attacks don't do much (unless you're Zetton), but their role is to fill up the pink bar. Then you use your heavy attack to put your enemies out of commision. The longer their bar, the longer they stay down and you can charge up more powerful specials.

That's really neat.
>>
File: 1461918523584.png (304KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1461918523584.png
304KB, 500x281px
>>14189561
Pac Rim sold mostly in China.
>>
File: 1444540154963.gif (582KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1444540154963.gif
582KB, 480x270px
>>14187270
Reminder that /co/ prefers Zilla 98 over Godzilla 2014.
>>
>>14192230
Only until G'14 gets a cartoon to himself like G'98 did.
>>
>>14191224
>was able to reactivate faster
That's exactly what it was. The dialogue makes it extremely obvious, too. Yes, the use of the word "analog" was silly, but it's clear what they meant by that comment.
>>
>>14192236
The cartoon is literally the only thing that can justify 98's existence.
>>
>>14192646
they even swapped out "nuclear" for something confusing and vague just like anime!
>>
>>14192230
Since when? I've seen some /co/ Godzilla threads and don't recall that being a common opinion.

/tv/ on the other hand used to have weekly threads praising the 98 film, and it still gets love from them (general /tv/ contrarianism notwithstanding).
>>
>>14190576
I know
>>14188645
>He only lost because he didn't know about/payed attention to the plasma cannon in the other arm
>>
>>14189331

Warner Bros has a shitload of kaijukino in works now:

- Godzilla 2
- Kong: Skull Island
- Godzilla vs. King Kong
- Colossal
- Rampage
- Monsterpocalpyse

Makes you wonder why they didnt optioned Pacific Rim 2.
>>
>>14192869
Goddamnit /tv/
>>
>>14192869
>Makes you wonder why they didnt optioned Pacific Rim 2.

Knowing WB it's because they are building up to it just like the Justice League. Godzilla v Kong will actually be 2-3 hurried storylines with Mothra in background until the climatic battle with Mechagodzilla. Godzilla will have weird dream sequences about a dystopian future in which Kong is becomes a bad guy. We'll also probably get short spotlights of Rodan, Anguirius, and...I don't know...Jet Jaguar, I guess.
>>
>>14190559
>then how were the others powered?
>>
>>14192230
Zilla '14 was ass though.
Not that that excuses liking Zilla '98.

>>14192869
Please, please stop misusing "Kino", the abbreviation for Kinography.

>>14193743
FLAC, it's only placebo!!1!
>>
>>14193754
>Zilla '14 was ass though.
No it wasn't. It was decent.
>>
>>14193754
>Kinography
>>>/tv/
>>
>>14193757
Woeful framing, lamentable acting, poor maintenance of momentum, unnecessarily washed out color palette, weak action sequences, and sloppy designs.

It was not decent by any agreed upon standard.
>>
>>14192869
Some sort of behind the scenes studio bullshit.
>>
>>14187262
I thought it was ok. Nothing in it you really haven't seen before however it's great for getting someone who would never give mecha stuff a chance into it.
>>
>>14193743
If this is a serious question, the Mark I through III's were nuclear-powered, while Mark IV and V were powered by some other method. It's like if Cherno didn't get destroyed it could have withstood the EMP.
>>
>>14195447
Really like the idea that Otachi and Leatherback were built to take out Jaegars.

Otachi
>Tail to counter Crimson's 3rd arm
>Acid Breath to breach Cherno's armor
>Flight likely would have fucked up Cherno

Leatherback
>Brawler style to compete against Cherno / older models
>EMP to knock out newer models

Pacific Rim's world wouldve been great for a weekly TV series.
>>
>>14191942
>I still believe that all the shit the film got during its opening week on /tv/ was made by WB shills

Nah. WB was trying to kill the film through neglect rather than outright slander. Sit on their hands after rubbing themselves raw over Man of Steel and they could bury the movie without having to spend any money to do so.

If they had put ANY money into a slam campaign, it would have been that Variety piece...and given that guy had a history of putting his foot in his mouth where GDT was concerned before, that was prob. just his own grudge accenting his work.
>>
>>14188460
>in the middle of a dense city
Anon they were in the upper atmosphere
>>
>>14197600
I think he was talking to the people who think they should have used the sword earlier in the fight, anon.
>>
>>14187227
https://society6.com/product/pacific-rim-wi2_print#1=45

It's just some print Del Taco liked. We all know he's pushing for PR2 and it's going slow, but this isn't concept art for it or anything.
>>
File: Gipsy_Danger_Concept_Art_03.jpg (312KB, 990x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Gipsy_Danger_Concept_Art_03.jpg
312KB, 990x1600px
I just gotta appreciate how much they smoothened Gipsy's design.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.