[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mecha are slow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 20

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I see that people love running mechs doing back flips and shit. No: they are well armored and slow, and well armed. Fuck Weeabo mecha
>>
Sod off, Titanfall devs.
>>
>>13584121
>Titanfall
>mechs
>>
I'm pretty sure that you're trying to apply real-world logic to fictional universes

So when did you get that brain damage, anon?
>>
File: alegrias_zps7c47c25e.jpg (31KB, 312x480px) Image search: [Google]
alegrias_zps7c47c25e.jpg
31KB, 312x480px
Apparently OP's mecha are slow. How sad for them. My Flash Quicksilver Speed Gundam will run rings around his sluggish tank-machines and dismantle him even before they know what hit them.
>>
We love you too anon :*
>>
Well, I like realistic mechs. And Titan fall is a shitty overrated game. I'm talking about Warhammer Titans and that shit
>>
>>13584202
>>>/tg/
>>
>>13584202
>realistic mechs
>realistic
>mechs

Brain damage confirmed
>>
It's possible...
>>
File: 1352071623807.jpg (261KB, 800x689px) Image search: [Google]
1352071623807.jpg
261KB, 800x689px
>Being slow
>Not going fast while being heavily armored
What kind of shitty actuators are you using

If making robots are a viable way, it goes to say that your actuator technology should be powerful enough to make a robot go faster than walking.
>>
>muh realism
>muh slow brick
>lets mention weabo for shits and giggles
>lets have a name for shits and giggles

reported for brain damage
>>
>>13584115
>wanting a slow brick that would be torn apart by artillery and aircraft
>>
>>13584202
Classic Warhammerfag using it's universe as their basis for everything.
>>
>>13584202
>Warhammer Titans
>in any way practicle
Shitty bait. The Titan require disassembling and reassembling to be transported between planet, most variant slowly mind fuck and drive the pricep insane, prone to being infested by warp codes, and some of them are just giant cathedral with legs.
They're about as realistic as Ork gargants, and the fucking thing is held together by sheer faith.
>>
File: realistic western mecha.jpg (314KB, 1420x810px) Image search: [Google]
realistic western mecha.jpg
314KB, 1420x810px
>>13584838
I don't know what the fuck you're talking about you fucking weeb this looks like something straight out of a Tom Clancy novel
>>
File: 1393302000755_zpse3b2599b.jpg (35KB, 177x278px) Image search: [Google]
1393302000755_zpse3b2599b.jpg
35KB, 177x278px
>>13584870
I know you're being sarcastic but seriously, how the fuck does that thing walk?
>>
>>13584881
machine spirit
>>
>>13584881
Very destructively.
>>
>>13584248
Friend plz, what are these? I want
>>
File: 1405051559396.jpg (1MB, 1672x1672px) Image search: [Google]
1405051559396.jpg
1MB, 1672x1672px
>>13584886
>>13584892
What, are knees blasphemous now or something?
>>
File: 1406710212658.jpg (90KB, 800x1137px) Image search: [Google]
1406710212658.jpg
90KB, 800x1137px
>>13584898
Delphine from Break Blade
>>
>>13584881
It's only 50 meters, anon. Compared to some of the other stuff that gets posted on here I'm surprised it can't also run, backflip, teleport behind you and slash 1000 times nothin personnel kid
>>
>>13584913
Thank you anon <3
>>
>>13584917
Yeah but those usually have human proportions
>>
>>13584881
>>13584900
There's knees on the Imperial Titans, they're just hidden behind that fuckhuge foot things. The Ork's stuff though, that thing move because the Ork believe it could move, that's it.
>>
>>13584115
Mate those are just tanks
>>
>IG shitscrew

>Not playing Skitarii for true /m/

You little flashlight-humping, tack-chewing maggot-feed shitbag.
>>
>>13584115
The problem with big tanky mechs is that there's this big plot hole of why they aren't using a tank on a similar scale.

More manueverable mechs answer this by maneuvering where tanks can not. Space, for example.
>>
>>13584115
You need to paint those. Especially the Baneblade. And sand those nubs.
>>
File: vb-6-konig-alt-gerwalk.gif (116KB, 800x632px) Image search: [Google]
vb-6-konig-alt-gerwalk.gif
116KB, 800x632px
>>13584115
Western Mechs are mostly just Canadians and Americans being inspired by 80's "real robot" designs.n.The likes of the Destroids from Robotech/Macross are the most obvious. But Heavy Gear was originally meant to be a licensend Votoms RPG. And Battletech even just pilfered Dougram designs. And of course Mechwarrior came from Battletech.

Basically, non weeabo mecha are still weeabo mecha, just a different kind.
>>
>>13584115
Are those threads supposed to have such big gaps or did you just fail at gluing together a simple model?
>>
>>13584881
It wobbles.
>>
>>13584966
>implying Guntank cannot into space
>>
>>13584115
If you want realism in your mecha designs you just get a tank or a Ball.
>>
>>13584966
There is literally no reason to ever make any weapon but something like power armor have human proportions, on land or in space. A tank with a rocket engine and RCS would do just as well.

Giant fighting robots take the form of giant fighting robots because it looks cool and that's it.
>>
>>13584115
I am going to reply to you because you are an idiot. Here's a (You).

>>13584945
That's an exaggeration and you know it. Ork technology is fundamentally functional, but it is given an extra kick of sorts by the Orkish gestalt field.

Motive power and method depends entirely on the machine in question due to how Orks never reliably build anything exactly one way more than one time.
>>
File: MUHTRENCH.jpg (164KB, 940x495px) Image search: [Google]
MUHTRENCH.jpg
164KB, 940x495px
>>13584202
MUH TRENCH
>>
File: 1438218956246.gif (240KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1438218956246.gif
240KB, 300x168px
>>13589346
what game is that from?
>>
File: Iron Brigade.jpg (197KB, 319x455px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Brigade.jpg
197KB, 319x455px
>>13589360
Iron Brigade
>>
File: Tau_Battlesuit_vs_Smurf.jpg (14KB, 289x378px) Image search: [Google]
Tau_Battlesuit_vs_Smurf.jpg
14KB, 289x378px
>>13584115
>behnblade
>Leman Russ
Everything about the Imperium is slow.
>not playing the Tau E/m/pire
>>
File: 2685-ring-of-red-002-glduf.jpg (92KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
2685-ring-of-red-002-glduf.jpg
92KB, 800x600px
>>
>>13587661
The Tank would actually be really shitty in space.

The main gun is above the center of mass so shots would send it tumbling end over end. The treads would do jack shit, not even being effective reaction wheels. All that armor on the front means nothing since there's no cover to be had. Running directly at the enemy is virtually suicide. The shear weight of the armor would make it unmaneuverable and an easy target for battleship grade weaponry. The main turret weighs so much that swinging it around would reorient the hull. The weak tops, rears, and bellies would also make it easy prey for enemy strike ships. Also. you need something like 3-5 men to run it.

Now lets look at the mech. For the purposes of this argument I'm using something about 5 meters tall. Shorter than a Titan (titanfall) and taller than a Scopedog (VOTOMS).

The arms and legs act as counterweights, since they have so much mass away from the center of gravity. One hand can carry a shield. Not an energy shield, mind you, just a slab of composite armor with some ERA tiles. Since the shield is mobile you can have it face wherever the enemies are coming from. Now, the arms and legs do tend to throw off the center of gravity but as we've seen with modern fighter jets, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Aerodynamically unstable designs have proven to be more maneuverable than stable ones, after all.

So why make them humanoid? Control. A mech can use motion capture controls but with stirrups and waldos rather than cameras and funny outfits. The pilot intuitively knows how to move the mech and, given time in 0g, how to maneuver it without gravity. Moreover, it only requires one pilot.

With all the surface area of the limbs and how much area is taken up by the cockpit most of the parts will be only one deep. Add to this that the dexterity of hands would make a mech an excellent utility vehicle and a mech would be very easy to maintain.

So easy to use, easy to maintain? Ideal swarm unit.
>>
>>13589463
No shut up, mechs will never viable ever.
>>
>>13589476
...Why?

No seriously, if you're not going to bother arguing you might as well be a troll.
>>
>>13584115
Nothing with that many joints is designed to tank strikes: Its built for mobility which usually exists for balance control. Why? Whack thrusters and you've got engines you can tilt in any direction and big heavy impact landing gear and a pair of modular turrets and a sensor dome.

I honestly think mecha would spend very little time walking unless its over rough terrain and would skim the ground like a rocket propelled ice-skater or do low altitude hops over terrain using helicopter gunship like combat tactics.

They'd almost certainly never be larger than two and a half stories or so.
>>
>>13589463
>The arms and legs act as counterweights, since they have so much mass away from the center of gravity.

Pointless, you're much better off giving up the mass and moving parts and raising some RCS thrusters up away from the center of gravity on a pylon of some sort if you want better attitude control. Your gun is in a manipulator and off center of gravity, if you carry a shield this is further exacerbated by shifting your center of gravity to the shield side meaning you'll need even more counter force to avoid rotating on your axis after a shot.

>So why make them humanoid?

This entire argument is silly. You're still primarily moving around using main rockets and attitude control/translation rockets. But now you're adding on top of that parts that will almost certainly result in a center of mass that is far from the center of the vehicle, the force and counter force of the limbs moving, and almost inevitably you're preventing your RCS from being placed equidistant around your center of mass which will make them significantly harder to use.

>easy to maintain

No, massive amounts of moving parts. Especially if you're proposing something that's approaching human like dexterity.

On a non-combat vehicle dextrous manipulator arms could be very useful, but there's no reason to confine them to human range of motion and there's still no reason to have legs.

Legs in space are as pants on head retarded as treads in space.
>>
>>13589512
Rockets tend to run hot and burn through fuel quickly. Try a wheels attachment to the feet. You can always eject it during combat at it'll improve the road efficiency without sacrificing speed.

Oh, and since you're already packing tons of hydrogen (or hydrozine, depending on how you store it), you can run the entire thing off of hydrogen fuel cells. This simplifies engine requirements since your propellant is also your power source.
>>
>>13584218
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iZ0WuNvHr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPoK1ANL6rU

Not yet and maybe not 100% like in the animes but mechs can be made. Though I'd wager the biggest adoption for military purposes won't be mechs but exoskeleton suits/power armors that will completely replace regular infantry.
>>
>>13589878
> if you carry a shield this is further exacerbated by shifting your center of gravity to the shield side meaning you'll need even more counter force to avoid rotating on your axis after a shot.
Depending on how close the shield is to the center of mass you could use it as a kind of anchor. When shooting you push it right out there away from the center of gravity, retarding the rotation imparted by the gun.

And as for the gun? use the manipulator to line up the barrel with the center of mass. You can't do that with a turret but with a shoulder, elbow, and wrist joint you've got more play to line things up. The only other option is fixed weapons.

>
This entire argument is silly. You're still primarily moving around using main rockets and attitude control/translation rockets. But now you're adding on top of that parts that will almost certainly result in a center of mass that is far from the center of the vehicle, the force and counter force of the limbs moving, and almost inevitably you're preventing your RCS from being placed equidistant around your center of mass which will make them significantly harder to use.

As I've said, the instability will make it more maneuverable. We've seen this with the latest generation jet fighters like the f-25 and Typhoon.

>No, massive amounts of moving parts. Especially if you're proposing something that's approaching human like dexterity.

Mind you, if any given tread on a tank breaks the entire tread is useless. If a single servo on an arm locks the arm will still have some use.
>>
>>13584870
man warhammer 40k is just plane weird
>>
>>13584115
>Gundam style mechs are impractical, due to their height and how a tank or plane could often do their job better
>VOTOMS style mechs are considered among the most feasible, because they're small, maneuverable, and have a niche they could fit into

>"Nah we need mechs that are hugeas fuck and slow as shit! That way we'll be completely ineffective and all of the fighter pilots will just laugh at us!"
>>
>>13584115

You... do know that the only advantages a mech has against an equal tech level armored vehicle is in agility, versatility and mobility?

If you were going to armor it and slow it down, you should put treads on it and armor it some more, then you should take off the arms and armor it even more. I'm saying it should be a tank.

Heavy to light
Tank>Mecha>CAS>Helo

At specific breakpoints, you've got the advantages of the heavier neighbor and the advantages of the lighter one, you don't try to leverage your design's weaknesses anon.
>>
>>13591778
Wish OP knew more that shouting "weeb".
>>
>>13584115
Slow mecha are just tanks with legs. The whole point of having robots instead conventional vehicles is that they can do backflips nad shit.
>>
>>13591742
You don't know the half of it.
>>
>>13584150
epic response from an epic developer making an epic game for an epic system in an epic generation
>>
File: DSC08789.jpg (277KB, 1505x1600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC08789.jpg
277KB, 1505x1600px
>>13584115
>Says mecha should be slow.
>>Posts wh40k Imperial Guard image.
>>>Imperial Guard Sentinel walkers used for light recon and flanking.

Physician, heal thyself.
>>
File: Zvezda2007ssIMG_3207.jpg (56KB, 290x440px) Image search: [Google]
Zvezda2007ssIMG_3207.jpg
56KB, 290x440px
>>13589367

>battlesuits can jump-shoot-jump
>jetpack guys can't

GW pls. Maybe if you changed that, someone would actually have a reason to buy assault marines.

>>13589463
You know how astronauts maneuver in zero-g when operating away from things to grab onto?

They fucking strap themselves to chair with maneuvering thrusters and ride it around. attempting to position yourself by swinging your arms and legs around is a goddamn liability, because if you accidentally hit anything, you'll go spinning off the other direction, and that can be fatal in space. Any fucking about is strictly restricted to inside the spaceship.

Also, I'm not sure if you understand aerodynamic stability. any modern fighter plane, such as the beautifully sleek SU-35, is aerodynamically unstable. It's center of mass is at or in front of it's center of pressure.

You'd probably have to wind tunnel test it, but a given mecha is nowhere near guaranteed to be aerodynamically unstable. broadly unaerodynamic, sure, but that's an entirely different thing. They were, after all, probably not designed with any real thought towards that. If it's got any fins and spindly bits, chances are, if you dropped it, it will fall with those pointed up and the rest pointed down. Stable.
>>
>>13589463
>The Tank would actually be really shitty in space.
>Something built for land combat is shit in space
No shit, nigga

The only way a tank is viable in space is to use them as mobile turrets, they move around, strap themselves down to a spot on your ship's hull and help shoot shit. Kind of like the destroids in Macross, they are stuck to defensive roles.

Or if you want a more offensive space tank, you remove the turret and go for a casemate design like tank destroyers, then mount the gun in line with the center of mass. Keep the engines powerful enough to counter the recoil from firing the gun, then put vernier thrusters all over it to maneuver and aim it, then maybe some armor. But at that point, we just made a space fighter.
>>
>>13584121
Titanfall mechs weren't slow at all, they were basically the same size, proportions, and agility as Labors.

Tumblrgif because I can't be bothered to go make a webm just to make a point.
>>
File: assault corvette.jpg (129KB, 1131x707px) Image search: [Google]
assault corvette.jpg
129KB, 1131x707px
>>13599608

Tanks are great in space, foo.

Of course, they call them "corvettes" when they're in space.
>>
>>13599608
>Or if you want a more offensive space tank, you remove the turret and go for a casemate design like tank destroyers, then mount the gun in line with the center of mass. Keep the engines powerful enough to counter the recoil from firing the gun,

You fucking what

Just put guided missiles on it instead
>>
>>13584959
I don't care for the shit post.

But fuck you, you half retarded toaster fucker. I'll spit into your shitty rebreather and shine my lasgun into your fucking eyes. Lets see if you like that,coglicker.

Real men fight in the Guard. I would take a sentinel over your shitty wind up robots.

Ave,imperator. Fuck the omnissiah
>>
File: 1375920806912.jpg (128KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1375920806912.jpg
128KB, 1280x720px
>>13584248
>Can't use guns because nomagic
>Strap on enough armor and just ram the enemy
This is the best plan ever
>>
File: 1396667060976.gif (111KB, 1222x768px) Image search: [Google]
1396667060976.gif
111KB, 1222x768px
>>13584115
The armor in 40K is such a mess I have to wonder if being able to design a decent looking tank is illegal in Britainistan.
Most of the imperium's vehicles don't even look as though they have suspension.
The wheels are just locked in place with no travel.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.