[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mechs won't happen, ever.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (19KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 194x259px
They're just giant targets begging to be demolished by death rays or some shit...wat u think
>>
>>12491697
We haven't made the right ones yet is all
>>
>>12491701
Right ones? Giant humanoid robots are what they usually are correct? Technology moves to fast for them to be useful. We have rail(lazer beam) guns now. In about ten years they'll be strong enough to slice right through any giant robo. I still fuckin love mechs tho...don't get me wrong...just don't see usefulness.
>>
>>>/g/aia
>>
I'll make it happen. Currently I'm in progress of working out so I can be an action movie star and I will use that money to fund development of real mechs.
>>
Depends on what kind of mech you're thinking of.

Giant human piloted humanoid looking things or non humanoid machines that are either autonomous or remotely piloted coming in various sizes.

Even with humanoid looking things you always hear that they are making robots like those for service industry purposes.
>>
>>12491713
>Giant Humanoids

This is why you're wrong namefag, if we ever do touch human like concepts it will be way after we do have proper working mechs that can walk in the first place.
>>
File: respecttherobot.png (386KB, 626x440px) Image search: [Google]
respecttherobot.png
386KB, 626x440px
>>12491697
>>
File: 1421783569274.png (378KB, 404x450px) Image search: [Google]
1421783569274.png
378KB, 404x450px
>>12491697
Do they even need to happen? Once we have good VR you can experience all the robots your heart desires no matter how worthless they could be in real life.
>>
>>12491713
>We have rail(lazer beam) guns now

stopped reading right there
>>
>>12491697
Yeah, and Jesus was a Jew, Mother Teresa tortured poor people, JFK started the Vietnam War, Ronald Reagan ruined the West, and your waifu will never be real.

So the fuck what? You think that'll change how we feel about them?
>>
>>12493017
Not him but the laser tests are going on now, and the rail gun will be soon enough.

http://defensetech.org/2015/04/15/navy-will-test-its-electromagnetic-rail-gun-aboard-ddg-1000/
>>
>>12493028
That they both exist doesn't mean you should listen to the opinion of someone who thinks they're the same thing.
>>
File: 8WLT.gif (473KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
8WLT.gif
473KB, 250x250px
>>12491697
>>
>>12491697
>begging to be demolished by death rays
Ewoks, anon.
If you put your battlewarmehbot's center of gravity high enough off the ground even teddy-bears can kill it with just rope and logs.
>>
OP is right, but provisos are needed. First, we must be talking about ~5m or taller mechs (which are the most common in fiction) Second, we must be talking about purpose built war machines. Large sized non-military mechs could be a thing, and could in turn be weaponized in an emergency or uprising, but they would be far inferior to tanks or other purpose built military vehicles.

Power armor on the other-hand, looks like it has a promising military future if we can just figure out a reasonable way to power it, and plausible advances in battery technology may do it. The line between power armor and Mech can be blurry, but there is likely some room for smaller Mechs, that would likely be faster, cheaper, not require per pilot customization and require less specialized training than advanced power armors. Such Mechs would probably fill scout roles, and be used in lower intensity conflicts.
>>
We could always make scopedogs. I mean they're small enough and shittily armored enough that we just need a good enough propellant, and honestly we could probably just make them run off of diesel fuel.
>>
>>12493350
The Scopedog is still a bit tall at 3.8M. Most current generation MBTs are 2.2-2.5M with the exception of the Leopard coming in at 3M. Having a 50% higher profile is a pretty big disadvantage. It would need some pretty great performance to justify all that exposure, or it would be relegated to the few places a tank can't operate at all.
>>
File: Answer It Please.jpg (122KB, 1171x390px) Image search: [Google]
Answer It Please.jpg
122KB, 1171x390px
All we need is enough SPACE.
>>
>>12493257
What if we puts its center of gravity high enough that it's in orbit?

I suppose you'd have problems powering and controlling it.
>>
>>12491713
>doesn't know what a railgun is
>>
>>12493418
>It would need some pretty great performance to justify all that exposure

They seem to be pretty damn manueverable, and nothing short of an RPG even seems to dent them as we could see in the Woodo arc. Their fragility is more that ATs are all equipped with rifles whose rounds are built for shredding through AT armor.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.