[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Anna such an insufferable cunt brehs ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: anna.jpg (359KB, 652x1000px) Image search: [Google]
anna.jpg
359KB, 652x1000px
Why was Anna such an insufferable cunt brehs ?
>>
>brehs
>>>/fit/
brainlet, keep you r/books tier "waah waah, character x was a cunt" whining there
>>
>>9868448
Chad cock and morphine.
Women are degenerate.
>>
She's unironically bipolar, in case you're not very far in.
>>
She's an adulterous whore, what did you expect?
>>
You didn't get it. The first fucking sentence of the book is there for the dumb fucks like you and you still couldn't get it.
>>
What do you expect from a retarded santa-barbara tier book written for 19th century housewives?
>>
>>9868474
No she's not.

This trend of diagnosing characters in literature is retarded.

>>9868448
Anna wasn't insufferable. Quite the opposite, people are enamored by her, but as the book progresses the world becomes insufferable to her. Toward the end she is even disgusted by the very presence of others at the train station.
>>
>>9868541
>Wasn't insufferable
Sure was to me as the book progressed, especially after she kept looking for things to be jealous about with Vronsky.
>>
>>9868541
I mean, I tend not to diagnose characters with mental illness, but Anna is pretty clear cut as a case of at least depression, most likely bipolar. The "demons" she describes in her head are clearly signs of that: if the most trustable sign of mental illness is the person admitting to being mentally ill, then that's what Anna did.

From there, you have the fact that she had clear mood swings in her dealings with Vronsky and, you know, killed herself, largely to be free of previously stated "demons".

Again, many cases of "lol character X is just depressed/schizo/bipolar/autistic" are grasping at straws, but Tolstoy somehow had a good feel for describing her situation in a way that could only make the most sense as mental illness.
>>
>>9868622
I think ascribing her behaviour to mental illness rather than social and spiritual isolation as a result of her own actions takes away from the actions of the characters and the story Tolstoy was trying to tell. Ultimately it's about how the actions and beliefs of two people take them to two entirely different places by the end of the book.
>>
>>9868693
I don't disagree. Ultimately, a large part of dealing with mental illness is fixing the isolated parts of one's life and then accepting life for what it is.

Nonetheless, Tolstoy also made it clear in at least two chapters (Part 3, chapter 17/XVII for one) that the isolation that Anna was going through was mostly self-imposed and that, since her overt situation (having an affair; getting a divorce) was nothing new, she had many examples to choose from to create a good future for herself. However, she couldn't see her situation from her a clear standpoint, due perhaps to her lack of a spiritual guide and perhaps to mental illness.

I also wouldn't say that Levin was "mentally sound", either, and is meant to be the positive case in comparison to Anna, since they are something like mirrors to each other. I freely admit to grasping at straws for him, though.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.