[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books that changed the way you think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 296
Thread images: 63

Post books that have fundamentally changed the way you think and have affected your day-to-day life, pragmatically speaking.

I'll start.

Thinking, Fast and Slow, a book on cognitive biases and behavioral economics), has taught me to assess real-life probabilities more carefully (since our intuition isn't that good) and to reconsider my purchasing habits. It also contains some of the most practical advice on gaining happiness that I have not seen elsewhere.
>>
File: pepe_blink_by_fazboggled97slqh.gif (45KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
pepe_blink_by_fazboggled97slqh.gif
45KB, 499x499px
Cognitive biases don't exist
>>
File: 71fmQ4lt-lL.jpg (197KB, 1050x1621px) Image search: [Google]
71fmQ4lt-lL.jpg
197KB, 1050x1621px
If I could get everyone to read one book it would be this one. It illustrates where and how pretty much everyone gets science wrong, and how you, as an individual, are affected by this.

It will turn you into such a sceptic you'll never be able to read a newspaper or go to a doctor again without feeling dubious.
>>
File: 71LrI8IW38L.jpg (182KB, 834x1296px) Image search: [Google]
71LrI8IW38L.jpg
182KB, 834x1296px
This had a big effect on me when I was younger.
>>
File: 51BTXCDCQPL.jpg (34KB, 304x475px) Image search: [Google]
51BTXCDCQPL.jpg
34KB, 304x475px
This is still the best book I've ever read. It doesn't really change your perspective, but whenever I'm having a conversation about any area of science, this book has served me well in providing related facts and stories.
>>
File: 813lWptJn3L.jpg (311KB, 864x1377px) Image search: [Google]
813lWptJn3L.jpg
311KB, 864x1377px
This book makes me stop and think about how judgemental I am. Makes me believe the hippies were right about just getting along. Overcoming jealousy and realising you are only jealous because of your self hate.
>>
File: 220px-Walden_Thoreau.jpg (17KB, 220x371px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Walden_Thoreau.jpg
17KB, 220x371px
This is an introduction to leading a simple life. I've since read more on the topic but this definitely made me realise I don't need 90% of the shit I have and that I can achieve happiness through non-material things.
>>
File: 51ed9lmqL6L.jpg (34KB, 320x500px) Image search: [Google]
51ed9lmqL6L.jpg
34KB, 320x500px
>>9785866
yes that is a good one
if you haven't already read them have a look at his other books, bad pharma and i think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that which is a collection of his journalism

also if you liked bad science you'll probably like pic related
>>
>>9785853

Pragmatically speaking, thought doesn't make you change but change makes you think. Changing your thoughts will change the way you think. What's the impetus for change? Is it the book? Or is it you? Books read you. cue in free will vs determinism
>>
>>9785880
I put it down half way, is it worth finishing?
>>
>>9785905
oh fuck off ya pseud
>>
File: serveimage(4).jpg (15KB, 203x300px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage(4).jpg
15KB, 203x300px
>>
File: Free_to_Choose.jpg (62KB, 300x467px) Image search: [Google]
Free_to_Choose.jpg
62KB, 300x467px
>>9785903
Yeah Bad Pharma is also good, although most of it is an expansion on the points made in Bad Science.

Really made me hate the way government regulated drugs more than anything. Which reminds me, pic related made me hate the way government does anything.

Side note: Simon Singh's the Code Book is the best introduction to cryptography. If you're at all interested in computer security, even modern stuff, start here.
>>
>>9785912
Is this Red Pill material or a bit more scholarly? ADL calls it antisemetic but they suffer with victim complex.
>>
>>9785967
It's *the* redpill. And it's a very scholarly work, not to mention one of the most important books ever written.
>>
>>9785982
Fair enough. I'll add this to the list.

Ever wondered why everyone knows what Hitler did, what the gas chambers were, and how many Jews were killed in WW2, yet the average person knows very little about Stalin, Mao, communist Russia/China and the death toll in other genocides? Why does Hollywood produce so many Holocaust movies? Why Jews today still feel like they need reparations because of what happened in Germany almost a century ago, even though they're the most powerful group of people in the world?
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (25KB, 300x358px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
25KB, 300x358px
I don't think it is even that clever, but I will still have to say this. It introduced me to some philosophers and the field of complex systems.
Besides this, psychology and political science with biological underpinnings, like the book Predisposed.
>>
>>
>>9785853
>>9785866
>>9785867
>>9785878
>>9785903
>>9785943
pop sci "FIFTY WAYZ 2 REWIRE UR BRAIN!!" and the drugstore paperbacks of economics
summer is in full swing
>>
Reading David Hume's Enquiry made me understand the point of philosophy. Before then, I just thought it was just the ramblings of intelligent people, and it sounds that way when you look at any watered down explanations. Then I read Hume and both found myself viscerally agreeing and disagreeing with what he had to say, only to realize that there was a whole unexplored world ahead of me, and I hadn't even begun to be able to justify why.
>>
>>9785853
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGJQPkfwlAc
>>
>>9786090
Good, now read Descartes to see where Hume is coming from, and Kant to see where his thought goes.
>>
>>9786066
Dubs confirm the most powerful book of all time
>>
File: vara-och-tid.jpg (3KB, 201x300px) Image search: [Google]
vara-och-tid.jpg
3KB, 201x300px
>>
>>9786122
Second dubs reaffirm.
>>
>>9785910

Really comes together well unless you have a massive problem with misogynistic free love.
>>
>>9786081
It is better to read original papers but popsci can be good in the sense that it brings it all together, and the quality differs between books
I've found some excellent textbooks but introductory textbooks tend to be boring and most of it you can find on Wikipedia and so on and so on
>>
>>9786106
Already did a long time ago.
>>
>>9786081
You are unironically comparing the lifetime work of a Nobel Prize winner to BuzzFeed articles. Amazing contribution.
>>
>>9786066
Care to explain why? I've read secondary texts on Hegel and found it to not be of any contemporary relevance.
>>
>>9786090
>>9786106
about philosophy; very much mindfucked right now. I guess I think I don't wana think about it too much, the concept of good n bad n a Gods play in it, just that God knows what is good because he says what's good and bad , and u either do what he says or u can choose to create ur own views of good and bad, they are not necessarily wrong just a different perspective.
>>
Doesn't every book change the way you think in some degree?
What's more important is to take something from everything you read.
>>
>>9786224
By the sheer amount of stupidity in your post I assume you're one of those shills that keeps creating anti-Hegel threads. Fuck off.
>>
>>9786254
In my experience not everything sticks, maybe its because they are not relevant to the information already inwebbed into my brain and no connections are being made, but that's a load of neurobabble
There are certain books that tend to stick, there are certain books I've completely or mostly forgot

Some books give me a kind of pleasant rush, while others never do
I imagine that what you said is to some extent true though, and we might not be able to consciously access all of that is imprinted into our brains
>>
>>9785853
>>9785866
>>9785867
>>9785878
>>9785880
>>9785899
literally my niggas
>>
File: cms-image-000092859.jpg (13KB, 311x475px) Image search: [Google]
cms-image-000092859.jpg
13KB, 311x475px
>>
>>9786261
Not me but I expect the reason people post those threads is because nobody has yet been able to explain why his ideas worth shit.
>>
>>9786298
Then instead of reading secondary sources and 4chan posts actually fucking read him, you stupid faggot.
>>
>>9785866
>>9785878
>>9785880
can i get a quick rundown on these
>>
>>9786224
hahahahaha
>>
>>9786357
You call me stupid but you can't seem to grasp the simple notion that people aren't going to spend their money and time reading something just because you tell them.

Reviews, ratings and recommendations exist for a reason. Some angry fat fuck from the internet is not going to convince me to pick up a book when everyone else consider it a waste of time.
>>
>>9786376

democracy was a mistake
>>
>>9786376
Senpai-san, stick with your plan and ignore the Hegelboo, he writes nasty and is probably a tankie as well
You read for yourself not to impress others desu
>>
>>9785866

what type of name is Ben Goldacre? Is he like a forest jew?
>>
Hegel should have been tried for crimes against humanity.

I hate Hegel so Goddamn much.
>>
>brainlets who can't understand all philosophy avenge themselves on hegel
>>
>>9786358
Bad Science: don't trust anyone when it comes to science, not even medical literature. We don't know shit about medicine and it's pretty much a bunch of companies trying to sell you crap you don't need.
>>
>>9786376
It's your problem then, but don't come here arguing about Hegel this or that if you never read him.
>>
It's clear by now that there is a group of posters that consider Hegel's philosophy very dangerous for their ideological purposes and will do anything to stop people from reading him.
>>
File: 51ShbNODqpL.jpg (42KB, 326x500px) Image search: [Google]
51ShbNODqpL.jpg
42KB, 326x500px
>>
>>9786404
I simply asked for a fucking elaboration, since what I've read so far, apparently, doesn't do it justice. Jesus.
>>
>>9785853

>It also contains some of the most practical advice on gaining happiness that I have not seen elsewhere.

Which part of the book? I haven't finished it but I'd love to skip to that part.
>>
>>9786419
You said you never read him, then I suggested to read the primary source. Anyway, philosophy doesn't exist to impress anyone, go read genre fiction is that's what you want.
>>
>>9785853
The Tao of Pooh
>>
>>9785880
the jealousy wrt to objects, ideas included, stems from ''non-equanimity'' towards sensuality, ie hating and enjoying the sensuality.
>>
>>9786422
two specific things come to mind

in one study, they asked 2000 women to 'rate' how happy they were while doing certain daily activities such as cleaning, socializing etc. (it's a bit more sophisticated than this but you get the point) and the findings showed that spending time with their children was about as enjoyable as doing house work. this goes against the idea that having kids is the greatest experience in life, which is somehow still what these mothers believed: even though 95% of the time spent with your kids is a fucking hassle, when you're asked about it, you think about the *idea* of having children, not the experience itself, and come to the conclusion that it's enjoyable.

the other thing is similar. you think buying a car will make you happy, and when asked about it, you tell yourself that having this experience car is a good thing. but how often do you spend thinking about having a nice car? initially, a bit, after a few weeks, the novelty wears off.

the point is you have to think about whether something brings you joy or not a bit more intelligently so you don't con yourself into buying shit you don't need

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring#Focusing_effect
>>
>>9786449
Same, I read that when I was 13 or 14
>>
File: boat.jpg (31KB, 640x484px) Image search: [Google]
boat.jpg
31KB, 640x484px
>>9786479

Ah yes, I remember now. The book definitely alters the way you consider how personal assumptions are formed.
>>
>>9786081
worthless virgin faggot
>>
File: 325785.jpg (50KB, 255x400px) Image search: [Google]
325785.jpg
50KB, 255x400px
>>
>>9786358
Stranger in a Strangeland is about a human born on mars who comes to earth and doesn grasp the concept of, property, ownership, jealousy, or even laughter and through his time on earth learns to adapt and adjust society to his whim.
>>
>>9786479
>having kids isn't one of the greatest experiences because it's a hassle
That's entirely missing the point, though. If you ask my mom how much she enjoyed raising us, she'd tell you that she abdolutely hated it, but also that it made her life worthwhile and fulfilling. Having kids isn't about the experience, it's about having kids. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that kids are anywhere close to the greatest experience in life. But I do think that people (especially women) will ultimately be exceptionally unhappy if they don't have them.
>>
>>9786840
It's hard for us to go against the evolutionary process: through natural selection we developed emotions like love so that we could mate and raise offspring successfully--no matter how you rationalize it, it's difficult for us to avoid experiencing those feelings and just die without children. But let's put them aside for a second and ask ourselves, are those few moments of joy, for instance, when we see our kid open a Christmas present, or graduate college, or get married etc. worth $100,000 and a third of our own life? I doubt it. I'd rather deal with once a while feeling a little sad that I never have kids, which is not going to be very often. I hear shit like "enjoy dying alone" all the time, who gives a fuck if I feel regret on my deathbed? Totally worth it.
>>
>>9786857
enjoy dying alone senpai
>>
>>9785853
since you're probably an "autodidact," how about reading about the replication crisis in priming studies before you integrate this book into your suite of dipshit thinking
>>
>>9785899
I was curious about this book since I saw it on a "nature-core" chart or something like that (posted on another imageboard). Definitely going to read it, now that someone said something about it.
>>
>>
>>9786156
if you're defending this book then it's pretty clear you haven't read much about it outside the book itself (if you even read the book)
>>
>>9786903
Ah there he is, the autodidact hater. Already read it, in fact, I'm pretty sure it's covered in the book itself.
>>
File: BOOOOOOOKS.jpg (56KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
BOOOOOOOKS.jpg
56KB, 1280x720px
>>9786903
>THE FUCK YOU THINK YOU ARE, LEARNING BOOKS ON YOUR OWN, YOU UGLY MAGGOT?!?! I'M IN OVER $350,000 DEBT FOR MY PHD IN HUSSERL STUDIES, OKAY? I'M VALUABLE AND NO UNEMPLOYMENT WILL CHANGE THAT. FUCK YOU AND YOUR COMMITMENT TO INDEPENDENCE, MANCHILD!!!
>>
>>9786954
It's a simple case of cognitive dissonance and jealousy.

>You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late fees at the public library
>>
>>9786954
>>I'M IN OVER $350,000 DEBT FOR MY PHD IN HUSSERL STUDIES, OKAY?

i don't know a single philosophy phd that doesn't have a fellowship
>>
>>9786020
The book covers how the Israeli government and Zionists use holocaust discourse . Internal Jewery' doesn't exist outside of /pol/, did you even read this?
>>
File: image.jpg (475KB, 1200x1518px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
475KB, 1200x1518px
>>9785853
>>
>>9786055
Hes a total fucking asshole, and his ego is insane. His online persona is often annoying, and the feuds he gets in seem like 90% publicity stunts.

But fuck if he isn't one of the only actually thought provoking public intellectuals out there. Will happily admot Antifragile had a huge impact on how I live my life
>>
>>9786156
>9786156
It's called a review article
>>
File: So.png (112KB, 334x502px) Image search: [Google]
So.png
112KB, 334x502px
>>9786066
Unless you're a genius of ridiculous degree the Phenomenology of Spirit is too much even with a commentary.

The Science of Logic, however, is good enough that the first two chapters reveal the grand mystery of how to read every other Hegel work. His method is so simple it's amazing almost no one can tell you what it is despite having PHDs and decades of study on Hegel works.
>>
>>
>>9787053
>>
File: 765337.jpg (39KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
765337.jpg
39KB, 317x475px
>>9787058
>>
>>9787050
The SoL is certainly better written but I disagree about the necessity of commentaries for the PoS, I also think the Logic is way harder to understand.
>>
>>9785878
>the best book I've ever read.
These are the YouTube's of books. Go read something with literary merit.
>>
>>9787077
That's a bit like saying your favourite movie can't be a documentary because it has no artistic value. Fuck that, I read it for the information it contained and enjoyed it.
>>
>>9787058
can u really take a book written by a dude named marty seriously tho
>>
>>9786936
>>9786954
Anybody identifying as an 'autodidact' is cancer. I didn't go to college and read on my own as well but when you're toting these garbage, airport-bookstore paperbacks as equal to a doctorate? Go fuck yourself, this thread is embarrassing.
>>
>>9787081
No, it's like saying your favorite film can't be a WebM. These books are worse than not reading at all.
>>
>>9787111
>I didn't go to college

Which is why you lack critical thinking skills. Books that are life changing are usually introductory texts, because people that know nothing about a subject suddenly get introduced to it and feels revolutionary.

Also nobody is trying to get PhD level education in everything, it's okay to read a popsci book and pick up a few interesting ideas, then do the same for humanities.
>>
>>9787066
The Logic is more abstract and pure thinking, which is something you are allergic to without practice. It is much easier than the Phenom in that concepts are not presupposed and instead it is all built from the ground up.

The Phenom >appears< easier, but in fact is much harder at first than the Logic is. Most people never see past the veneer of the historical context into the actual engine: the logic and method.
>>
>>9787129
>These books are worse than not reading at all.
I think it's best if you never post in this thread again.
>>
>>9787148
Fair enough.
>>
>>9787111
I self identify as an autodidact, but I agree with you. These books are cancerous pleb trash. Like the other gentleman said, don't lump us in with everybody else who gives us a bad nae.
>>
>>9787144
>I went to college
Which is why your whole post is about chasing "life changing" experiences and something that "feels revolutionary." These pophis and popsci books are more detrimental than they are helpful, it's like encouraging someone to watch Crash Course or the School of Life. You'd be better suited by working through an intro textbook from a community college and zoning in on a specific period that interests you.
>>
>>9787156
>he still thinks reading is a virtue in itself
The medium doesn't matter. The quality of the work does.
>>
>>9787191
Since you're still here shitting up the thread, can you tell me exactly why the book is question, A Short History of Nearly Everything, is not worth reading?
>>
>>9787179
>comparing an popsci book to Crash Course/School of Life
Can't take you seriously when you say shit like this.

I have a degree, it's not in psychology. I specialized in my field and work in it too. Sometimes I like to read other topics, so I picked up a psychology book and learned a few things. I'm not going to read a textbook because I'm not trying to educate myself in the classical sense, I'm just reading for my personal edification.

Somehow this is bad and I should just not read anything at all. Great mentality you have there.
>>
>>9787212

because it's mass market schlock high on rhetoric and short on knowledge, perfect for tricking slobs like you
>>
>>9787227
>self edification

Yes, because consuming information which within the field itself is considered wrong is so edifying.
>>
>>9787227
reading a book is not edifying
>>
>>9787212
I'm not a fan of Bryson because 'A Walk in the Woods' is a misrepresentation of thru-hiking the AT.

Broadly, I'm against mass produced paperbacks about academic subjects for the same reason I'm against "Fuck, I Love Science." I already explained why.
>>
>>9787240
>Daniel Kahneman
>Nobel Prize winner in Economics
>Highly respected and influential economist
>"considered wrong"

I mean, if that was your entire point you could have just said you didn't like the book (not that any one gives a fuck about your opinion), but you went off on autistic rant about popular science books.

I'm outta here, have fun reading textbooks and getting mad at other people on the internet for wanting to expand their knowledge, if it makes you feel better.
>>
>>9787267
>I read one economist and know "economics" now

Wow, you're really ignorant. It is precisely morons like you that cause more social harm by being this ignorant and believing reading one book from one guy makes you knowledgeable in one of the least object sciences that exist.
>>
>>9787239
>>9787260
i read it. i liked it. i also know that it was fact-checked by actual scientists, in fact, most of the book is based on him interviewing scientists, he just created a narrative for them and collates everything nicely.

very high signal to noise.

also very sad that you think an actual, 800 page book is the same as a "i love science" page on fb.

are you the same people that hate casual video games?
>>
>>9787267
That's not me dumbass.

Reddit has usernames, that might make it easier for you to understand who's talking to you.
>>
>>9787274
Lmao you didn't actually respond to anything I said.

How are you posting so much but saying literally nothing? There is zero information in your posts.

You really think I'm going to value your pathetic angry internet ramblings other economists, journals, institutions who have generally praised the author?
>>
>>9787285
The quoted post is exactly the one which I was replying to. I think it's you that's having trouble keeping up. Take your own advice, kid.
>>
>>9787286
He made two posts. You're the one getting schizophrenic because some anons told you that a $10 paperback really isn't a worthwhile of study.

I thought you where leaving?
>>
pop sci and self help books based on dubious psychological studies... now, this is full pseud

Just because you had some bias or some scientific theory explained to you, doesn't mean that you can control this thing which you supposedly understand. The gap between pop sci and the real world is quite big, now here's an unpopular opinion: read the bible instead. Instead of taking about what things are, it talks about what to do with said things. It contains far more accurate psychological depictions of humans, and far more accurate phenomenological descriptions of the world. Sadly, however, your average pseud is incapable of swallowing his "common sense" and actually reading this millennia old text that paved the way for his precious rational "SCIENCE!" to emerge, dismissing the truth which survived for millennia as mere fairy-tales. There are layers, and layers of symbolic meaning contained within.
>>
Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling
Descartes' Meditations
Leibniz's Monadology Discourse on Metaphysics,and his letters to Arnauld

Those three absolutely altered the way I view reality.
>>
>>9787535
>Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling

Do you say that as an atheist, or as a theist?
>>
>>9787547
Before I read it I was a lazy semi-Christian, reading it led to me converting to Catholicism.
Always been one form of theist or another, but that's what solidified it.
>>
>>9787129
You're so far up your ass
>>
The Great Gatsby made me feel better about not having any friends.
>>
>>9787560
>tfw as an atheist had a dream in which God spoke to me but my response was to run away screaming out of fear
>tfw read Fear and Trembling as a theist years later and bawl my eyes out
>>
>>9787560
>Catholicism

you dun fucked up
>>
>>9787587
sure, your niche sect is the true One Church...
>>
>>9787570
Came too late for the argument mate
>>
>>9787688
Did you enjoy it? I totally regret taking part in it.
>>
>>9786055
This
>>
>>9787062
Is this actually good metaphysics?
>>
>>9787037
>It's called a review article
So where do I find them and can I access them? I'm stuck in college and never went to university so we do not learn about such things.
>>9786910
I read the book, yes, but it was a long time ago, and I'll admit that I haven't read much outside of the book if you mean papers. Kahneman does get referenced a lot in other books however. I know of a recent journalistic article that says there is doubt about some of the research in the book. From my point of view that is not odd.

I could look at the citations from the book to find papers discussing them.

I would be thankful if you two help me out. I get it, popular science likes to discuss the exciting research, which makes it questionable at times, and wrong. But since I do not have access to the university, it is often the easiest and most accessible way for me to learn new things,and I enjoy doing that.
Hope people like you two can understand that.
>>
>>9787763
>and wrong.
I mean sometimes wrong. (or often, pick your choice)
>>
>>9787763
everyone dissing kahneman needs to understand that psychology has a half life knowledge of 4 years, thinking fast and slow came out in 2010 you'd expect at least a few things to be proven wrong yet you're all acting like the book belongs in the trash

funniest thing is the book is just a summary of his research, summarized by himself. the criticism here is ridiculous,
>>
>>9787085
yes
>>
>>9786081
>Nobody collate scientific findings together in a collection that links their contributions into a cohesive and accessible story, otherwise normies REEEEEEEEEEEE
Kys you pseud hack.
>>
>>9787719
It felt like thanksgiving. Everybody had too much to drink and decided, "This is the hill I will die on."
>>
>>9787780
Thanks for the heads up I guess. If you find it interesting you could look up picture related.
It takes cognitive biases, including those found by Kahneman, from an other perspective.
>>
>>9787958
>look up this book
>first paragraph
>"They drink and piss, eat and shit. They sleep and snore. They sweat and shiver. They lust. They mate. Their births and deaths are messy affairs."

wow i need to read this
>>
>>9787172
please, be quiet.
>>
>>9785853
>It also contains some of the most practical advice on gaining happiness that I have not seen elsewhere.
care to share the secret to happiness, you irrational monkey placenta?
>>
>>9788117
when you think faast, remember to slow down and enjoy life :)
>>
>>9788117
You're not worth it.
>>
>>9787587
I see the problems with it but it also seems to be the best hope at a single, united apostolic church.
If the Catholics and Orthodox can reconcile, then that will be as good as I could hope for.
>>
>>9788125
This is b8.
>>
File: 1496957957576.jpg (120KB, 841x1345px) Image search: [Google]
1496957957576.jpg
120KB, 841x1345px
>>
>>9786392
He's just British you schmuck
>>
>>9785853
the communist manifesto, for starters
>>
File: PoM.jpg (16KB, 210x260px) Image search: [Google]
PoM.jpg
16KB, 210x260px
>>
what book will convince me to suicide myself, and not schopenhuar he goes soft
>>
>>9789439
we're all interned in death cells.

Don't be a cunt anon, killing yourself is pointless unless you have intellectual property and an estate that could benefit from the sudden surplus of interest generated in your works.
>>
>>9789507
i just have an awful anxiety mixed with cringe feeling every day lately, not really interested in another 30-40 years of this
>>
File: 646175.jpg (129KB, 285x475px) Image search: [Google]
646175.jpg
129KB, 285x475px
>>
File: IMG_0911.jpg (14KB, 180x272px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0911.jpg
14KB, 180x272px
>>9785853
>>
>>9789519

There is no one method to sustain the person.

But, breathing man - that shit is free. helps me with my anxiety and levelling myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H8tCFZU3t8

Living in ensembles of close relations is inherently difficult, and you're far from the only one with these thoughts. but i consider them to be transitory.
>>
>>9787111
>Using a word that accurately identifies yourself makes you cancerous

He didn't claim that being an autodictat was equivalent to having a doctorate, and anybody that thought about autodictats for a few moments would realise one of the biggest problems with being one is that it's hard to figure out what material is worth reading and studying so you're drawn to lower quality work.

Being tutored privately is better than being an autodictat in every way, except price.
>>
>>9789519
It won't last forever. Nothing does.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 183x276px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 183x276px
>>
>>9789524
wow this
>>
>>9789706
>>9789526
>>9789524
Would be good if you actually stated why or how.
>>
File: journey.jpg (175KB, 600x866px) Image search: [Google]
journey.jpg
175KB, 600x866px
>>9785853
Put words on how I felt, made me even more depressed. It was the first book that I could read without falling asleep or getting bored.
>>
>>9789519
>a fews day

That really is your breaking point ? For many it's been years and they are still going. Like, at some point it's ok to just say suck it. But a few days of not feeling perfectly fine and you want to take the last bite already? That's weak anon.
Also since you are here asking about a book for this I am sure that you don't really want this. It's just attention seeking.
>>
File: 9283764987236498.jpg (40KB, 484x578px) Image search: [Google]
9283764987236498.jpg
40KB, 484x578px
>>9789526
hahaha you faggot

pic related's being and time for me
>>
>>9786081
>book is about learning how to be skeptical
>be skeptical about book
>anons get butthurt
Loving every laugh
>>
>>9790000
>the earth is flat dude those photos in space are photoshopped there's just no concrete evidence that our planet is a sphere it's just the government that's trying to make us believe that shit

^ being skeptical
>>
>>9786857
You can't measure happiness by weighing the subjective impact of moments against each other. Any attempt to do so will be incoherent. You sound like Sam Harris. Go read the bible, you're not supposed to be happy.
>>
>>9786903
Do you like apples?
>>
>>9790978
>You can't measure happiness by weighing the subjective impact of moments

Any measure you used yields the same result:

Sum the total happiness for each moment in life -> children bring you more misery in total

Go by the "general" retrospective feeling -> children ruined your life in hindsight

I can't think of any reason to have children that is based on proper reasoning.
>>
>>9786286
how did you change because of steppenwolf?
>>
File: 1494993547964.jpg (30KB, 386x434px) Image search: [Google]
1494993547964.jpg
30KB, 386x434px
>>9787081
>Documentaries have no artistic value
>>
>>9791008
How did you adopt that methodology in the first place? Why is every moment equal to every other moment? It doesn't even make sense phenomenologically: you only ever experience one moment at a time. Adopting a global view of all moments is only possible in your imagination. This quasi-mathematical construct you thought up has no basis in reality whatsoever. It just 'feels' logical and you adopt it based on that.

How do you even take the sum of all moments? You use your memory and make a rough guess at a single moment as to how it felt, and then plug that in. You see what I'm getting at? It's always done in the present, and it's always only ever going to be based on something completely subjective, over a flawed recording. There's no way to implement your sum.

Furthermore it leads to all sorts of stupid conclusions, like the anti-natalist nonsense you're espousing. By that logic you might as well just kill yourself because most moments in life are suffering anyways. Or you might as well just start doing drugs till you overdose, since you'll be so happy the whole time that you maximised the gain. Being sober can't possibly compare to the happiness you feel on opiates, you can't even imagine what it's like. It breaks your equation, unless you think that's a good idea too.

Use some 'proper reasoning' and try and figure out the reasons why you adopted that frame in the first place. It doesn't make any sense, and it's going to make you miserable in the long term because you think life is some equation made up of undefined terms. It's completely incoherent.
>>
File: mapsofmeaning.png (27KB, 488x612px) Image search: [Google]
mapsofmeaning.png
27KB, 488x612px
>>
>>9791109
>How do you even take the sum of all moments? You use your memory and make a rough guess at a single moment as to how it felt, and then plug that in

No. In the study, women were prompted periodically throughout the day. They had to give two inputs, what they were doing, and how much they were enjoying it. This is done on the fly, not at the end. You plot the date and the area under the graph is the total happiness.

>Being sober can't possibly compare to the happiness you feel on opiates

Funny I was actually just thinking about this. I went through an opiate phase and sobriety does feel better. Opiates feel good when you want them, not when you need them. Once you're an addict they're no longer fun. Does not break the equation.

>like the anti-natalist nonsense you're espousing

NO. STOP. This isn't an ideology, there's no philosophical basis. I simply do not want children. Other people can do whatever the fuck they want.

Let me tell you this though, I can spot a defence mechanism when I see one and the fact the parents actually get angry when they see childless couples tells me there's a strong sense of jealousy they try to cover up with all sorts of reasons.

Here are some:

I can’t help it, it’s a biological urge. = Unexamined motivations.
Want to give our parents grandchildren. = Still seeking parental approval.
I just love children. = Out of touch with inner child, and with existing children.
I have superior human genes. = Megalomania.
Want someone to care for me in my old age. = Fear of aging.
Pregnancy and childbirth are life experiences. = Life choices limited by social indoctrination.
A good family is essential to career advancement and strong standing in the community. = Social insecurity. Wants trophy children to improve social status.
I want my kids (who don’t exist yet) to have all the things I didn’t have. = Unfulfilled childhood desires and fantasies.
To carry on family name. = Trying to please Dad.
Want to see a little me. = Self-absorption. Lack of ego gratification.
God wants us to. = Mindless obedience to dogma peddlers who want larger flocks.
>>
>>9791192
You do realize that children propagate the species right? If your parents didn't have kids, you wouldn't exist. You can't base your morality off only your own whims. Also, labeling a motivation behind a reason isn't an argument against the reason, it's just a label. Also, the study is still imaginary and only exists in the present.

Just because you don't call it an ideology doesn't mean it's not one. You're not making arguments you're just shuffling labels around and using anecdotes.
>>
>>9791192
>I simply do not want children. Other people can do whatever the fuck they want.

>I can't think of any reason to have children that is based on proper reasoning.
>>
>all the self-help and pop-sci shit ITT
>>9787148
isn't Phenom essentially a prelude to the Logic?
>>
>>9789755

That book genuinely made me laugh. It's like a comedy sketch at times.
>>
>>9786906
post chart
>>
>>9785853
Interestingly, the "Hot Hand Fallacy" he talks about has been BFTO in recent literature: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2627354

Previous studies had a bias in the way they counted streaks:
>Jack takes a coin from his pocket and decides that he will flip it 4 times in a row, writing down the outcome of each flip on a scrap of paper. After he is done flipping, he will look at the flips that immediately followed an outcome of heads, and compute the relative frequency of heads on those flips. Because the coin is fair, Jack of course expects this conditional relative frequency to be equal to the probability of flipping a heads: 0.5. Shockingly, Jack is wrong. If he were to sample 1 million fair coins and flip each coin 4 times, observing the conditional relative frequency for each coin, on average the relative frequency would be approximately 0.4.
>>
>>9791304
>You do realize that children propagate the species right?
Literally at the bottom of priorities. i'll be dead, I don't give a fuck..

>Just because you don't call it an ideology doesn't mean it's not one.
I hate children. You can't argue with that or convince me not to. They're just shit and annoying.

>>9791349
Yes, that's not a contradiction.
>>
>>9791360
I'm about to start this, cannot fucking wait. I've been putting it off for too long.
>>
File: 20345548.jpg (339KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
20345548.jpg
339KB, 313x475px
This is the series that showed me how much I loved to read. It was difficult for me at first, but after I finished it I just wanted more. It unironically led me to Pynchon, Gaddis, McElroy, Barth, Wallace, and the rest of my favorites by getting me excited about densely written literature. It's no longer my favorite, and I don't find it difficult in any way now, but it was revelatory for me. It really did cement my love for reading and, hilariously, killed genre fiction for me. This series made me want to read all day and cancel cable.
>>
>>9785853
James Ladyman & co - Every Thing Must Go: Metaphysics Naturalized
John Mackie - Ethics
David Benatar - Better Never to Have Been

Reasons should be self-evident.
>>
I want to change my way of thinking and feeling, but
I'm not sure how to describe myself.

I feel like I'm the very embodiment of the deadly sin of sloth. I don't care about anything. I'm not particularly sad or happy. I'm very emotionally numb and I don't feel much. I don't like to try hard and I hate having to sell myself. I think people and relationships are more trouble than they're worth, and it's just easier to be alone as to not disappoint anyone. I have no strong passions or physical activities, and I just tell myself "I'm just keeping busy until I die."

Sorry for the blog post, but any recommendations for this?
>>
>>9791499
You need to find something that interests you, nobody can force you to have genuine passion for something you don't care about, that would border on self-help.
>>
>>9785853
Hoaxes and Scams
James Randis encylopedia of humbugs
The Demon-Haunted World
Apocalypse Culture
>>
>>9791499
Have you read The Alchemist?
Have you tried waking up early, cleaning your room, then going on a walk?
Have you tried carrying a notepad and pen with you and writing?
All this sounds meaningless but, over time you will develops discipline.
Develop your self discipline.
>>
>>9791751
Thanks. I will take these things and that book into consideration.
>>
>>9785853
Fine, after having a professor that I respect and people on here shill the book I guess I had to order it.
>>
>>9791304
>2017
>morality

Go with the times, kid.
>>
>>9791907
>>9791751
The Alchemist is a fucking joke. don't bother reading it
>>
>>9785880
If you really think that's what the hippies were all about, I recommend you read Slouching Towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion. She paints a much starker picture of what was going on in the sixties.
>>
>>9791499
meditation, since you already do not care for sensuality
>>
>>9791371
I couldn't agree more. The scene with the plugged toilet had me in stitches.
>>
>>9793784
Not that anon but thanks so much for this recommendation
>>
File: IMG_20170718_235232.jpg (3MB, 3840x5344px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170718_235232.jpg
3MB, 3840x5344px
>>
>>9794008
Utter drivel
>>
>>
>>9785853
jesus christ that book is absolute shite and if youre actually forming your thinking around systems 1 and 2 kys yourself asap
>>
>>9786055
one of the very few decent books ITT
>>
>>9787416
this, thank god (heh) some sensible anons still exist
>>
>>9794008

>>9794146
This.

Jesus what a fucking joke. I genuinely thought when I cracked it open I would gain some insight that I had been missing over the years.
Each page brought me more anguish that I still wasn't getting anything new.
By the end I couldn't believe that this book is as popular as it is.
And what's worse, what it really taught me, was how fucking retarded the general populace is.

Everything in this book is common sense. Everything. Literally learn how to be a human being and get what you want by being a human being.

But sadly more people that anyone would ever hope for slip through life without learning the basics.
>>
>STEMshit
>"pragmatically speaking"
The only thing that has 'changed the way I think' is an anime series. If you seriously let a self-help book affect you, you're a fucking idiot.
>>9785866
All science is bad reason. To be an enemy of reason is to be an friend of good-tidings. Reason and 'fax' are icons that need to be smashed.
>>
>>9790000
>be skeptical of everything except skepticism and scientism
jej
>>
>>9785866
>>9785903
Skeptikooks use to much sophistry and dishonest rhetoric to be very convincing about anything. They are always good for a laugh though.
>>
>>9791371
>>9793807

Celine has a way of describing things and putting words together which can be very funny
Also check Death on the Installment Plan if you haven't already
>>
The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides.
Honestly one of the best books on humans ever written.
>>
>>9794309

Sounds like we've got a system 1 thinker over here lads
>>
>>9794938

Thucydides was the first and best historian.
>>
>>9794313

i agree.

its like the social application of chaos theory.

however

that guys' pomposity is quite nauseating
>>
>>9795056
personally I like it

I prefer my intellectuals smugly arrogant over the idiocy of mediocrities
>>
>>9795056
It's done in good taste.
>>
>>9794388
>common sense
common sense is not so common. that's why the book is popular. also most people are dicks, and this book is revelation to them.
>>
>>9794641
ok post something honest and convincing that refutes/disproves/whatever anything stated in either bad science or trick or treatment
>>
>>9794938
>>9794965
Care to elaborate? I'm on book 7 and to me it seems to drag on at parts. Also you can oftentimes clearly see where Thucydides used literary devices to get his point across, probably sacrificing historicity.
>>
Can confirm this book is god tier. Im going to take notes of this book soon. It will probably take me 6 months tho lol
>>
This one turned me from a poltard into an anarchocommunist
>>
>>9795300
Haha, I get it - there is no book for that because no one is dumb enough to be an anarcho-communist if they can read
>>
File: 71hYQpbv8nL.jpg (181KB, 1400x2139px) Image search: [Google]
71hYQpbv8nL.jpg
181KB, 1400x2139px
I want to be like Zorba. Full of life.
>>
>>9795427
The film is really good.
>>
File: 549488._UY400_SS400_.jpg (28KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
549488._UY400_SS400_.jpg
28KB, 400x400px
This book changed the way I approach some problems and gives valuable insight on how to be a good leader . It compares the actions of two leaders in a very challenging environment . Although I am not a leader of men and probably won't be , it is very useful if you hold such a position or are going to .
>>
>>9786399
Come on this is ridiculous. Just because it isn't a perfect science doesn't mean medicine doesn't over rational and effective solutions to problems with evidence to support itself. Don't buy into the conspiracy mode of thinking too much, pleb
>>
>>9795579
I exaggerated for effect, but it's partly true: never trust mainstream media, be cautious when taking medical advice or buying health products, and don't accept everything you read just because the source is reputable.

>there are 15 million articles/studies in the field of medicine. You can find contradicting studies, even from reputable sources, on virtually everything.

>journalists will crawl through these articles and inaccurately reinterpret things to make headlines that sell such as PAINKILLERS CAN KILL YOU.

>there is no evidence that health supplements work, it's mostly just marketing. this marketing is more subtle and unscrupulous than you imagine: it's hidden inside "news" articles rather than obvious adverts.

>there have been very little advancement in the field of medicine in the last few decades, so both the pharmaceutical and health/nutrition industries have had to rebrand common knowledge in different ways to continue making profits
>>
>>9795641
>>9786399
>>9785866
I dont get you how you fucking idiots not deduce this on a basic level, you literally had to read a book to figure out something that could be expressed in a sentence
>>
>>9795903
goddamn summer child... you must be literally 16

by your logic we should just read the back of books because the details don't matter

we should also take statement as facts without reading the author's arguments in full

brainlet go away pls :(
>>
>>9786125
Being and time, right? No idea why you'd read it in Swedish, it's hideous.
>>
>>9786380
>t some Austrian snake guy
>>
File: Lauren Southern MAGA-cap.jpg (59KB, 700x639px) Image search: [Google]
Lauren Southern MAGA-cap.jpg
59KB, 700x639px
>>9794304
What
>>
File: Lauren Southern.png (108KB, 910x640px) Image search: [Google]
Lauren Southern.png
108KB, 910x640px
>>9794304
>>9796759
a
>>
File: Lauren Southern BASED.jpg (110KB, 931x720px) Image search: [Google]
Lauren Southern BASED.jpg
110KB, 931x720px
>>9794304
>>9796759
>>9796762
cuckquean!
>tfw Southern will be as barren as Coulter
>>
File: ability vs ego.jpg (173KB, 876x960px) Image search: [Google]
ability vs ego.jpg
173KB, 876x960px
>>9794304
>>9796759
>>9796762
>>9796767
> jacksterling
>May 12th 2016 4:44AM
>Young girl looks kind of like Lauren Southern so that heightened the fantasy for me.
>>
>>9796759
>>9796762
>>9796767
>>9796774
What are you doing buddy? She's pretty smart for her age/gender. Show me another 21 year old girl who is both attractive and woke.
>>
>>9794395
what anime would that be?
>>
Antifragile - Boredom and procrastination are BS filters. I don't need to wrap everything up in a stupid theory or have a reason for everything or act like a clockwork man. This book was like a manifesto for feeling human and along with Taleb's other books, a sledgehammer aimed at pseudointellectuals

Economics in one lesson- Come at me faggots

23 things they don't tell you about capitalism- To a much, much smaller extent than above book

Ego and it's own- I couldn't get past 100 pages of this awfully written book. But the idea remains, and only pseudo intellectuals deny the arbitrariness of axioms.

I think that's it. I'm sure if I paid more attention at university and read more, I'd mention stuff relating to entropy, degrees of freedom, basic maths and CS stuff, and other stem things but I won't pretend I know much.
>>
>>9797224
>Boredom and procrastination are BS filters
Explain this please?
>>
>>9787111
>toting paperbacks as equal to a doctorate
No one in this thread has made that claim.
>>
This book made me realize how fucked up the whole big data phenomenon can be, how easily can the biases of the people taking decisions based on that data can affect large groups of people, and how vulnerable anyone can be without being able to do anything about it.
>>
>>9794938
Fuck off, humanist
>>
File: The Greeks.jpg (30KB, 305x475px) Image search: [Google]
The Greeks.jpg
30KB, 305x475px
Along with:

>The Bible (true No.1 answer)
>>
>>9795579
All science is absolute garbage.
Rationality is an absolute meme made up by tools to justify themselves. Rationality is actually irrational. It's cannibalistic. Evidence is exactly the same.
>>
>>9789750
Because Rotman's a good author and it's central to an understanding of modern number theory?
>>
>>9797018
There are no attractive 21-year-old women. They're old hags.
>>
>>9797134
E7. It takes a bit to really 'get at' it because it is somehow both subtle and boisterous. It also encompasses the majority of 21st century ecological-philosophical thought so far, and even predicts some of what Timothy Morton was formulating at the time. Not to mention, it's the only series to ever have a sincere religiosity to it, or optimism to it that isn't reducible to humanism.
Besides that, its approach to mythological thinking is incredibly refreshing, and not as insincere as the common (psychological/anthropological/sociological) approaches. And, this 'new approach' is obvious in its genre.
>>
>>9791492
>James Ladyman & co - Every Thing Must Go: Metaphysics Naturalized

Sed contra: http://ndpr.nd.edu/news/every-thing-must-go-metaphysics-naturalized/
>>
File: 1500435959101.jpg (305KB, 2400x3200px) Image search: [Google]
1500435959101.jpg
305KB, 2400x3200px
>>9798514

go away pedo
>>
>>9798596
I'm not one though
>>
Four journals fell for the sting. The American Journal of Medical and Biological Research (SciEP) accepted the paper, but asked for a $360 fee, which I didn’t pay. Amazingly, three other journals not only accepted but actually published the spoof. Here’s the paper from the International Journal of Molecular Biology: Open Access (MedCrave), Austin Journal of Pharmacology and Therapeutics (Austin) and American Research Journal of Biosciences (ARJ) I hadn’t expected this, as all those journals charge publication fees, but I never paid them a penny.

So what did they publish? A travesty, which they should have rejected within about 5 minutes – or 2 minutes if the reviewer was familiar with Star Wars. Some highlights:

“Beyond supplying cellular energy, midichloria perform functions such as Force sensitivity…”
“Involved in ATP production is the citric acid cycle, also referred to as the Kyloren cycle after its discoverer”
“Midi-chlorians are microscopic life-forms that reside in all living cells – without the midi-chlorians, life couldn’t exist, and we’d have no knowledge of the force. Midichlorial disorders often erupt as brain diseases, such as autism.”
“midichloria DNA (mtDNRey)” and “ReyTP”

And so on. I even put the legendary Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise monologue in the paper:

darth-plagueis-science

Ironically, I’m not even a big Star Wars fan. I just like the memes.

To generate the main text of the paper, I copied the Wikipedia page on ‘mitochondrion’ (which, unlike midichlorians, exist) and then did a simple find/replace to turn mitochondr* into midichlor*. I then Rogeted the text, i.e. I reworded it (badly), because the main focus of the sting was on whether journals would publish a ridiculous paper, not whether they used a plagiarism detector (although Rogeting is still plagiarism in my book.)

For transparency, I admitted what I’d done in the paper itself. The Methods section features the line “The majority of the text of this paper was Rogeted [7]”. Reference 7 cited an article on Rogeting followed by “The majority of the text in the current paper was Rogeted from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrion Apologies to the original authors of that page.”
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>9786415
I just finished this book and still have a lot of questions about what Buddhism exactly is. Also the way it was written got old pretty quick.

Buddha I have no tranquility of mind and am tormented by dukha. How can I have tranquility of mind and free myself from dukha?

Sit sikha and I will tell you how to have tranquility of mind and to free yourself from dukha. In order to have tranquillity of mind and to free yourself from dukha you must follow these rules

The first rule in having tranquility of mind and to free yourself from dukha is to have tranquility of mind and to be free of dukha. This will give you tranquility of mind and free you from the lotus in the river in the well that is a spoon inside soup that is dukha.

The second rule....

The third rule...

Some aphorism about a frog

End of chapter

I still have no idea what to classify Buddhism as. Is it materialist? Does it believe in metaphysical dualism? How the hell is desire the thing that links people between incarnations?
>>
File: 1498151424614.jpg (34KB, 330x499px) Image search: [Google]
1498151424614.jpg
34KB, 330x499px
This was ok.
>>
>>9798648
>psychology
kys
>>
File: TheSelfishGene.jpg (75KB, 595x900px) Image search: [Google]
TheSelfishGene.jpg
75KB, 595x900px
I didn't expect too much of this book because muh Dawkins and memes, but it's actually excellently written, logically consistent, and can really change the way you perceive the world, however cliche that may sound.
>>
>>9786055

Nassim Taleb is amazing
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 182x277px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 182x277px
One of the best books I've ever read together with Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
>>
>>9798884
> but it's actually excellently written, logically consistent,

That's because its fucking Richard Dawkins, one of the most important and reputable scientists alive. Just because reddit kids worship him doesnt take away his ridicolous stature.
>>
>>9786020
>>9785912
Im not really that interested in Jews but these were both great
>>
File: The_Greatest_Show_on_Earth.jpg (387KB, 1200x1849px) Image search: [Google]
The_Greatest_Show_on_Earth.jpg
387KB, 1200x1849px
>>9798884
I have this one, apparently they are both about evolution, but this one is about the general process while Selfish Gene is about the mechanism at a lower level.

If you've read both, could you recommend on which one to read? I already have a good understanding of evolution so I don't really wanna spend too long reading both, but a bit more knowledge on the topic would be nice.
>>
>>9798490
>t. brainlet can't into reason
>>
>>9799226
read them both dude
selfish gene because pretty much nothing in modern biology makes sense without it. dawkins didn't invent the selfish gene theory but his book is its clearest expression. make sure you read a recent edition that has the updated notes, foreword etc.
greatest show on earth because dawkins at his best is a brilliant writer
>>
>>9787129
>These books are worse than not reading at all.
Are you retarded?
>>
File: TheExtendedPhenotype.jpg (29KB, 355x550px) Image search: [Google]
TheExtendedPhenotype.jpg
29KB, 355x550px
>>9799226
I'm the >>9798884 guy. Haven't read Greatest Show, although I have it on my shelf. I reckon it's aimed at people who do not know much about evolution, so I do not expect to learn much new since I read a lot of biology books. The Selfish Gene on the other hand taught me a great deal I didn't know before, about inclusive fitness, altruism, game theory, haplodiploidy in social insects, evolutionarily stable strategies, etc. If you decide to read The Selfish Gene make sure you follow it up with The Extended Phenotype, in which Dawkins develops his concepts further (it is also more challenging to read).
>>
My calculus books
>>
>>9798647
>>2740275
buddhism is the normie interpretation of the dhamma

the dhamma is the path to nibana+nibanna:

this is the path to nibanna:

>Bhikkhus, for a virtuous person, one whose behavior is virtuous, no volition need be exerted: ‘Let non-regret arise in me.’ It is natural that non-regret arises in a virtuous person, one whose behavior is virtuous.

>“For one without regret no volition need be exerted: ‘Let joy arise in me.’ It is natural that joy arises in one without regret.

>“For one who is joyful no volition need be exerted: ‘Let rapture arise in me.’ It is natural that rapture arises in one who is joyful.

>“For one with a rapturous mind no volition need be exerted: ‘Let my body be tranquil.’ It is natural that the body of one with a rapturous mind is tranquil.

>“For one tranquil in body no volition need be exerted: ‘Let me feel pleasure.’ It is natural that one tranquil in body feels pleasure.

>“For one feeling pleasure no volition need be exerted: ‘Let my mind be concentrated.’ It is natural that the mind of one feeling pleasure is concentrated.

>“For one who is concentrated no volition need be exerted: ‘Let me know and see things as they really are.’ It is natural that one who is concentrated knows and sees things as they really are.

>“For one who knows and sees things as they really are no volition need be exerted: ‘Let me be disenchanted and dispassionate.’ It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate.

this is nibanna:

>“For one who is disenchanted and dispassionate no volition need be exerted: ‘Let me realize the knowledge and vision of liberation.’ It is natural that one who is disenchanted and dispassionate realizes the knowledge and vision of liberation.

anything else than this is buddhism, which is the dhamma turned into a system or worse, a society
>>
>>9799004
On the Shortness of Life is even better.
>>
Not even memeing. I challenge anyone to read this and either dispute the claims as well as he makes them or maintain your previous views of the jewish people.
>>
>>9796767
>>9796762
>>9796759
you're looking for /pol/ if you intend on shilling somewhere.

i encourage you revise your tactics in your discord
>>
>>9785853
'Letters to a Young Poet' and Zweig's 'Beware of Pity'.
>>
>>
File: 818fIMXxgOL.jpg (278KB, 1524x2339px) Image search: [Google]
818fIMXxgOL.jpg
278KB, 1524x2339px
This should be required reading for anyone at university, especially those taking STEM subjects or social sciences.
>>
>>9800317
>Deutsch criticizes Jared Diamond's resource luck theories as to why the West came to dominate the other continents outlined in his book Guns, Germs, and Steel. For Deutsch, the sustained creation of knowledge could have arisen anywhere and led to a beginning of infinity; it just happened to arise in Europe first.

Well, it's a step up from Diamond, but still avoids the issue.
>>
>>9785853
my diary desu
>>
>>9800317
Is that David Deutsch? I can't believe he looks like a total dyke faggot.
>>
>>9800531
Yeah... in like, the 80s. The guy is old now.
>>
>>9785912
not again, this is a bad book, in the good sense, I had a deep depression for a week after reading this, fuck fuck fuck
>>
>>
File: 2528669._UY2573_SS2573_[1].jpg (911KB, 2573x2573px) Image search: [Google]
2528669._UY2573_SS2573_[1].jpg
911KB, 2573x2573px
The original neet
>>
>>9785867
>the new """""""""""science""""""""" of evolutionary psychology

I cringed
>>
Inspired the first step my "depressed" 16 year old retard self took toward being marginally less of a faggot
>>
>>9785878
I'm not joking this was one of the dullest books I've ever read, the history is all irrelevant and goes nowhere.
If you want a history of the world read sapiens
>>
>>9786857
>>9791008
We can pick a different example so as to not run into the naturalistic fallacy of "evolutionary process" or some such.

Why do people like running marathons? Training for them is no fun, the whole time you are running the 26 miles is miserable, and the pleasure of thinking about your accomplishment is paltry compared to the concrete physical pain required to complete the task (as in, I will never spend enough time thinking about the marathon and receiving pleasure from the thought to outnumber the hours I spent running). Yet thousands and thousands of people run marathons every year. You can't say that these people were "tricked"--that they thought they would have one experience and and ended up having another, like you posit with mothers who secretly regret having kids--and there is little if any social pressure that makes them "have to" like having run a marathon. So clearly, using the metric of temporal duration of pleasure is not sufficient to decide meaning (i.e. deciding which things are or are not "the greatest experience in life").
>>
File: mumford.jpg (50KB, 326x499px) Image search: [Google]
mumford.jpg
50KB, 326x499px
>>9785853
Going into this I was expecting an interesting portrait of cities at various times in history. After reading it both the way I view cities and my politics were profoundly altered. And it doesn't hurt that Mumford was an exceptional stylist.
>>
>>9799027
I hope this is a meme. He was never an important scientist and he is no longer one anyway - by some views, he was never really a scientist at all, he has never contributed to science. A public eye, popsci career has taken precedent. The popsci books he's written are good for popularisation of concepts but those concepts are simplifications of other people's work. It is good for that work to be more accessible but it ultimately adds nothing, people will do nothing with the simplified knowledge, at most it will inspire STEM careers, which could in turn contribute. He is the most important popsci bridge you could say, but even then he ruins it with his le atheism shit. Blind aggression and disregard are not effective vehicles for educating 'locked doors' and overall, changing their beliefs. Instead, he garners dislike of his person.
>>
>>9802240
sapiens is selectively taking history and simply making up things for the purpose of shilling ideology

dont read sapiens
>>
>>9799465
You're the brainlet here, child. You cannot comprehend an existence outside of your filthy Newtonian logic
>>
>>9798884
>>9799226
>>9799588
>Science
>logic
Fuck off back to /r/eddit, pseuds.
>>
>>9800317
Science needs to burn on the pyre. It is trash that needs to be erased. So no, nobody should read that garbage.
>>
>>9802442
kys /pol/nigger
>>
>>9802541
>kys
>>>/YouTube/

>/pol/
>>>/reddit/

>nigger
>>>/b/
>>
>>9785866

I remembered liking this one a lot, highly recommended.

It teaches you, by showing a progression increasing technically complex examples of scams, how to (practically) catch someone trying to defraud people by using bogus "science" to back up bogus claims.

It's a good primer in plain English on what makes something quality evidence and how to recognize its quality while you're looking at it, how to recognize (and run) good studies rather than bad ones, and the verbal/grammatical tricks that people use in false advertising.
>>
File: 1472432693781.jpg (143KB, 2418x891px) Image search: [Google]
1472432693781.jpg
143KB, 2418x891px
>>9802360
yes hedonists believe that hedonism is only about physical pleasure and physical pain, because hedonists have faith that their imagination, their intellect is special, more worthy compared to the senses.
>>
>>9802483
Did a scientist fuck your gf?
>>
>>9802360
>and the pleasure of thinking about your accomplishment is paltry compared to the concrete physical pain required to complete the task
Everyone I've talked to that has run a marathon strongly disagrees.
Running a marathon is simply delayed gratification.
In fact, it's not even entirely delayed. Many people enjoy running just for the sake of experiencing "runner's high".
>>
>>9802716
No. My wife was also a minor until this month you fucking pervert.
>>
>>9802360
>Why do people like running marathons?

signaling of fitness for sexual selection. same reason as with extreme sports and other forms of seemingly pointless risk-taking. same reason why peafowl males waste so much resources on growing those tailfeathers
>>
>>9802360
also you have a weird fucking idea of pleasure, it's as if kid having candy would be the height of pleasure

pro tip: it isn't.
>>
>>9789524
This is the most important book I have read
>>
>>9800393
It's because of war and the fierce Balkanization of Europe. War is the crucible of civilization and without it or, more importantly, the threat of it civilization stagnates.
>>
>>9787050
>His method is so simple it's amazing almost no one can tell you what it is despite having PHDs and decades of study on Hegel works

This is because he was a shit writer, his ideas(from what we understand) are good but his writing is horrible.
>>
>>9802853
>hegel
>good ideas
>>
File: images (49).jpg (18KB, 254x400px) Image search: [Google]
images (49).jpg
18KB, 254x400px
>>
>>9802477
>>9802483
Found the proverbial lib arts major on welfare.
>>
>>9798647
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjv8vmL0C1M

WHAT IS DHAMMA by Ven. Dr. Punnaji Maha Thera
>>
>>9802360
But that's simply wrong because of the fact that training for a marathon, or any physical activity, releases endorphins, makes you fitter, and in the long run happier.

Raising children causes stress, makes you age faster, and makes you lose out on other activities that you can no longer take part in.

I'm sorry I understand your point but this was a terrible analogy.
>>
>>9802667
You can't label any ideology that tries to increase HAPPINESS (not please, you're conflating the two) as hedonism. If that were the case there would be no ideology that wouldn't be classed as hedonism. Shit even asceticism would be hedonistic.
>>
File: God_is_Not_Great,_first_edition.jpg (18KB, 258x386px) Image search: [Google]
God_is_Not_Great,_first_edition.jpg
18KB, 258x386px
made me buy a fedora
>>
Richard Dawkins banned from giving speech on radio:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40710165

Remember people, Richard Dawkins doesnt just hate Islam - he hates ALL religions. Hes an atheist - and hating a religion is NOT illegal. Religion is simply ideology - you have the right to question it and talk shit about it. He has been banned for "Islamophobia" - which is deeply inaccurate - Dawkins doesn't have any sort of irrational fear of Islam, he discusses the true flaws of all faiths. Christopher Hitchens did the same thing. Dont let your freedom of speech be removed by liberal scumbags who are just making the world worse.
>>
>>9803424
This is the definitive point in my life where I get to say "things have changed".

Twenty years ago were all more tolerant when it came to criticism but somehow still tolerant towards other people. Someone could condemn religion but there was no sense of hatred, you could go to a debate and afterwards have coffee with the same people you'd been fervently arguing with (and this actually happened).

Now it's like we're in a war of ideologies and it permeates through every single aspect of life. The alt right the new left and whatever else there is are somehow shaping our media, education etc. and there's no getting away from it.

Only good thing about this is that we're at war about something that actually matters not geographical borders.
>>
>>9786286
Muh nigga.
>>
>>9798560
Why should I care about what some neo-scholastic spaz has to say?
Thread posts: 296
Thread images: 63

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.