[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 56

File: 1482906244890.jpg (4MB, 5198x3527px) Image search: [Google]
1482906244890.jpg
4MB, 5198x3527px
Let's not argue over video games edition. Take that shit to /v/

Fantasy
Selected:
>http://i.imgur.com/pk3og4Y.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:
>>9466929
>>9455435
>>9442315
>>9431124
>>9421255
>>
>>9473163

The argument actually started over table top RPGs
>>
File: IMG_2343.png (21KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2343.png
21KB, 700x700px
>>9473175
>>
>>9473175
Regardless it is unrelated to /lit/ and should be taken elsewhere. There were a few comments here and there about female authors but it eventually turned into /tg/ and /v/ ranting
>>
>>9473185

Christ....Thats what I actually look like too
>>
I have to thank the anon that mentioned the lost fleet books, this shit has a really strong start, hope it keeps up.

I have so much military SF to read I dont know where to start and you just made it worse.

So far I got the forever war, enders game, the moon is a harsh mistress and old mans war, I dont know what I should pick up next for the backlog, I already finished starship troopers and the undying mercenaries
>>
>>9473199

if you want to save yourself the trouble read Leguin and Days of the Deer by Lilliana Bodoc

I dont know wich other female sffg authors I should check out, most I know of stick with YA since its what sells these days
>>
File: strange & norrell.jpg (34KB, 948x1425px) Image search: [Google]
strange & norrell.jpg
34KB, 948x1425px
>>9473230
Clarke would be considered better than GRRM, Rothfuss etc. by now if she'd written more than one book
>>
>>9473242
Unless she shit the bed repeatedly; I can think of many authors in scifi/fantasy who were 1 hit wonders.
>>
>/co/, /tg/ and /v/ in charge of what's a good book
Good joke.
>>
>>9473163
Is there anything lovecraftian out there that is decent and of greater length than his stories? I love cosmic horror stuff, not because it is scary but because it is interesting.

On a side note: Lovecraftian things seem to be more Scifi than fantasy. So are there any fantasy with lovecraftian elements?
>>
Can anyone recommend some "non-Tolkeinesque" fantasy?

I love LoTR but I'm getting bored of fantasy that just recycles his tropes (the standard fantasy world of short Dwarves, tall slender Elves, bearded wizards etc.)
>>
>>9473461
Do you want tall slender Dwarves, bearded Elves, and short wizards?
>>
I wondered why the other thread advanced so quickly. Now, I see.

Anyone got any good fantasy reccs where children are forced into power? Like young princes having to act like kings etc? Not a loli/weird thing but find the idea interesting.
>>
File: groan.jpg (356KB, 700x1117px) Image search: [Google]
groan.jpg
356KB, 700x1117px
>>9473461
About an un-tolkien as you can get while still being good
>>
>>9473428
Scifi works better with the works of Lovecraft, it allows for more interesting psychological horror imo. I'd recommend Nick Cutter's "The Deep"; the audiobook was pretty good too if that is your style of reading.
>>
>>9473428
Have you read At the Mountains of Madness?
It's pretty much the novel-length.
>>
Can anyone recommend me sci fi for a fantasy lover?

I almost exclusively read fantasy, but I'm running out of fantasy books I like, so I'm reluctantly venturing into scifi just for more reading material.

I know nothing about scifi authors and I don't even know where to start. My favorite fantasy are long, epic, adventurous, worldbuilding-heavy series like Bakker and Glen Cook.

I've always been subconsciously turned off to scifi for some reason because it all just feels a little ridiculous and hard to take seriously, with aliens and lazer guns and what not. Rationally, I know it's not any more silly than muh magic and dragons and demons, but for some reason it feels like it is to me. Maybe I was turned off to it by really cheesy shitty scifi as a kid or something. Either way, I'm willing to give it a try now, and I'd like some recommendations.
>>
File: fallen_by_spiralhorizon-d7qa1ug.jpg (72KB, 1024x563px) Image search: [Google]
fallen_by_spiralhorizon-d7qa1ug.jpg
72KB, 1024x563px
>>9473914
Have you read Dune? If not, start there. You'll also see where Bakker-chan got all his ideas from that he didn't steal from Tolkien.

Also, Shaeönanra did nothing wrong.
>>
>>9473461
The Craft Sequence
>>
>>9473914

Frank Herbert, Robert Heinlein, Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Edgar Rice Burroughs,
>>
>>9473928
Ok, I'll try it.

>>9473972
A list of names doesn't help me much. What are they known for or makes their work different from other scifi?
>>
>>9473914

depends of what you like in fantasy, high concept stuff, militaristic settings, good old aventuring on weird-ass worlds?
>>
>>9474000
When someone gives me an author's name I usually just go a look up some of their works and see which one sounds like I'll like the most.

Or just search for their most famous work.
>>
File: gods of sagittarius.jpg (54KB, 329x499px) Image search: [Google]
gods of sagittarius.jpg
54KB, 329x499px
>>9473428
this just came out last week. i havent read it but it might be what you're looking for, even if it is sci fi.
tell us how it is anon.
>>
>>9474015
Like I said, worldbuilding and adventuring along the lines of people like Bakker and Cook. I like a leisurely pace and a lot of detail--for example, I'm able to enjoy WoT, but Malazan rushed through the story too much for me. High concepts I don't like, even my favorite authors bore me with the endless philosophical monologues (particularly Bakker). Militaristic settings I can appreciate but are often overdone--I like realistic but not overly "gritty" portrayals of the soldier's life, like Glen Cook did in Black Company.

>>9474029
Yeah, but I'm looking for a more in-depth scifi reader's perspective on where the author's niche is. Like if you asked me that about fantasy, I'd say read Abercrombie for good characters and mopey fatalistic themes, Jordan for excellent worldbuilding, fun comfy story, but mediocre plot and prose, Wolfe for top notch prose, interesting characters and a philosophical lecture every other page, and so on.
>>
>>9474113
>Malazan rushed through the story
>Malazan
>rushed
What the fuck?
>>
>>9474159
Okay, maybe rushed is the wrong word, but skipped over the details and expected the reader to remember too much. I keep getting lost in the various locations, races, and mechanics of magic because they're only explained once, kind of inadequately, and you're just expected to know how it works from then on. I'm not a huge fan of Sanderson, but I love the way he introduces new mechanics and things you'll need to remember--he explains them exhaustively more than once, and recaps them every now and then.
>>
I never bought in to The Name of the Wind hype. Should I be fine with not reading it now that it's evident that the final book will never come out?
>>
is there a way to get all the mainline malazan books for maybe a dicounted price or something? like how the GoT books came in a set for like 50 dollars.
malazan is a series i know i want to read all the way through but i can imagine tracking down each book being a pain in the ass, especially in the same edition.
>>
File: 1464604857787.jpg (130KB, 832x690px) Image search: [Google]
1464604857787.jpg
130KB, 832x690px
Tangentially fantasy-related, but I want to add some horror to my diet.

Anyone got any real comfy horror, with a suburban or traditional manor setting? I was driving home tonight and all the unlit houses in the suburb were so cozy.
>>
>>9474167
>skipping over details
Did you even read the series? Malazan is incredibly detailed. Also basically every important concept or event gets mentioned several times and explained several times, but almost never the same way twice. In that way you gradually learn the more complete picture of things over time. A good example of this is the Warrens and how they work. Basically every book past, I think Memories of Ice, reveals more information about the Warrens and how magic works.

Also don't know how you can get lost in places when every book has at least 2 maps, some as many as 4 or 5 maps. Also a dramatis personae at the start that lists every named character categorized by affiliation/race, and an index in the back that does the same but with additional characters who were only mentioned and so didn't show up in the dramatis personae. There's not even that many races.
>>
File: FemtoSkullKnight.png (3MB, 1800x1326px) Image search: [Google]
FemtoSkullKnight.png
3MB, 1800x1326px
>>9473163
Anything similar to Berserk?
>>
>>9474200
I read the first two books and didn't enjoy it enough to keep going.

I was using audiobooks, so I didn't have the indexes or maps. That might have been enough to keep going--maybe it's just one of those series that doesn't translate well to audiobooks.
>>
File: filename-1 (6).jpg (971KB, 3266x2481px) Image search: [Google]
filename-1 (6).jpg
971KB, 3266x2481px
https://pastebin.com/4Xt64GyK

Sci-fi novella I gave up on writing about six months ago because I could never get the very beginning to work.

I don't like the language employed and probably won't finish it but any criticism would be appreciated. Would post more than the prologue except again, I feel the whole beginning sucks.

The proposed cover art doesn't though, so I scanned it in.
>>
>>9474203
I know the creator said Guin Saga was a major influence, but the main influences for Beserk are all visual Hellraiser, Evil Dead and Euo Medieval art.

For author I think fit the themes and styles of Berserk, the Black Company stuff by Cook seems the best fit, but for pure edgy fantasy there is also Mark Lawrance.
>>
>>9474224
>listening to books
Malazan would probably be traumatic in that format. Was it abridged too?
>>
>>9474184
The Haunting of Hill House
>>
>>9474263
Traumatic is a pretty good word for it.

No, it wasn't. I'm not that bad.
>>
>>9474180
Just use the library. You don't have to own it.
>>
>>9474184
Imnreading the exorcist and while it's almost 100% identical to the movie, still recommend.
>>
>>9474272
I think anon wanting them all in the same edition implies he is looking to own it
>>
>>9474180
>>9474272
I managed to get 9/10 in hardback for around $20 :3
Probably the main reason I took the plunge and read them.
>>
>>9474245
I read it, I like reading your concept more than the piece itself.

I found verbose as well as opaque. A lot words but nothing said.
I understand it was just the prologue but it is just too short to really criticize without seeing more.
The dialogue was decent, overall I say potential for sure.
>>
File: 1460772990140.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1460772990140.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>9473230
As I always say. Female authors (most) start off their books great. Great world, great mechanics, great social cohesion... Then their cunnies kick in and everything goes to shit. I don't know if it's because women are sexual creatures that crave dick 24/7 or what.

Case in point, Anita Blake by LK Hamilton. Although it was her decades old husband / bf leaving that kicked off that particular fiasco. She tried coping with it by "being young" started some 3some polygamy relationship (bleed into her writing) and has been shit since. She tried to start back writing the Merry Gentry books a few years ago after fans hounded her for one... It was about the protagonist turning into a "size queen" and deep throating a bunch of fae Lord's dicks. Even the lovecraftian ones.

Kinda like how Lynch's wife leaving him turned him into a cunt moping after that red hair cunt(jesus Christ I got flashbacks when reading red seas, thought it was Rothfuss and that Deanna cunt I was reading).
>>
>>9473204
You tried Neal Asher's Shadow of the scorpion yet?
I also told you the Mech series by Bv Larson.
>>
File: 1491214485985.png (26KB, 190x194px) Image search: [Google]
1491214485985.png
26KB, 190x194px
>>9473493
>>
File: Gormenghast Park.jpg (257KB, 1080x1599px) Image search: [Google]
Gormenghast Park.jpg
257KB, 1080x1599px
>>9473530
Trilogy sama. Give it up. People are onto you. They will not read.
>>
>>9474365
I fully intend to read if they float my way.
>>
File: history_of_horror.png (3MB, 788x2544px) Image search: [Google]
history_of_horror.png
3MB, 788x2544px
>>9474184
Maybe try Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, or >>9474264
>>
>>9474365
I really hate this "if you recommend a book I dislike, particularly an older one, you're pulling some sort of con and need to stop" meme
>>
>>9474263
I listened to all the Malazan books and understood the series. That anon sounds like the low iq anon that used to hang around here a few years ago. Shit is obviously explained and he still comes asking for explanations.

>>9473914
Library at mount char, Iron Dragon's Daughter, hull zero three, metro 2033, Roadside picnic.
If you want something pulpy and easy to digest try the "undying mercenaries".
>>
>>9473203
comiserations
>>
>>9473461
Scott Thomas' Westermead has none of that and is instead inspired by folk magic and ghost stories. I'd say Lord Dunsany's fantasy is not tolkienesque and features plenty of weird stuff.

>>9473428
>So are there any fantasy with lovecraftian elements?

reposting from last thread

Clark Ashton Smith's stories had different settings where he mixed fantasy and lovecraftian influences. His main ones were:

Averoigne: A medieval era French province assailed by evils of the night.

Hyperborea: Antediluvian tropical continent filled with lovecraftian monsters.

Zothique: Far future in a dying earth filled with necromancers and weird beasts.
>>
>>9474391
>used to hang around here a few years ago
It was last year anon... Don't go to the light.
>>
>>9473970
Finally got 3 parts dead. Will read sometime in the next 6 months. Will shill along if it's good.
>>
>>9474176
Tne only reason I read it years ago was because good fantasy that wasn't Tolkien clones were scarce. Shit has changed now. I recommend to ignore it. You won't be missing much.
>>
File: 9781101972724.jpg (32KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
9781101972724.jpg
32KB, 300x450px
Anyone read this yet?
>>
>>9474184
>real comfy horror

Anything from M.R. James is horror comfort food, same with Poe's classics. I'd reccomend Adam Nevill's collection Some Will Not Sleep and if you want to get your weeb on Lafcadio Hearn's Kwaidan, youkai are max comfy.
>>
>>9474372
>Nick Land
Hmm
>>
Are horror books actually scary?
>>
>>9474421
I read Stephen King's "It" once, and at the end I was pretty spooked by how much of my life I'd wasted on it
>>
>>9474383
Right back at the older crowd shitting on the newer works. I guess it's only fun when they can't fight back huh?
>>
>>9474418
I can see the trepidation, but his fiction is genuinely unsettling - the man's basically a Lovecraft protagonist, except with meth as the source of his madness rather than a peek at the Necronomicon

>>9474428
Which newer works do you mean? The old "Rothfuss is shit, Sanderson is anime" meme?
>>
>>9474433
>The old "Rothfuss is shit, Sanderson is anime" meme?
Naw. The anything new is shit meme. Why do you think people lash out if it seems like you are a dino? The dino anon lashed out a lot... Well people are fighting back and they don't like it.
>>
>>9474421
Yes, there's plenty of scary and unsettling themes and scary situations. Which one works for you particularly is the tricky question.

>>9474426
King is babie's first horror author, he appeals to modern readers because he excels in creating relatable and believable characters. He shits the bed in the fact that his plots are weak and stupid long, in horror plot is the most important thing and it works best in medium sized offerings. When his time comes he'll be remembered but nowhere near the genre's titans.
>>
>>9474441
Why don't you save your memeing for when that actually happens instead of becoming what you despise then?
>>
>>9474446
What are the titans of horror?
>>
>>9474448
It's only recently that the groan fag started posting again. I made that macro months ago (prob a year plus) and only got to use it less than 10 times. I want our memes to survive my eventual an heroing. We get new users every week. Let them save it.
>>
>>9474465
>We get new users every week. Let them save it.
That's... Too sad for words anon :(
>>
>>9474458
Poe
M.R. James
Arthur Machen
Lovecraft and his circle particularly Clark Ashton Smith and Robert E. Howard
Thomas Ligotti

There's plenty of others who've written essential books but these are the ones who've written an extense body of work and at some point or another advanced genre conventions forward, most recent being Liggotti and overall most influential I'd say HPL. You could boil down most modern horror stories and make them fit according to the style of one of these writers.
>>
File: VALIS(1stEd).jpg (49KB, 250x427px) Image search: [Google]
VALIS(1stEd).jpg
49KB, 250x427px
At the start of the week I said that I would read Valis and see what the fuss is about. Having just done so, I still don't know. Regardless, it was an interesting experience; the author's struggle to grasp the meaning and implications of being hit by a beam of pink light which imparted upon him divine wisdom and knowledge of his past and future lives. The first half was forbidding, too oblique and esoteric. Indeed, I nearly dropped the book here, which is something I rarely do. The second half is more successful, wrapping up some ideas in a more traditionally novelistic way.

The mix of fictional and non-fictional elements is for me, the ultimate appeal of the book; anecdotes drawn from the author's life, discussion of Gnostics and Pre-Socratics, the tension between PKD and his Horselover Fat double, and the beguiling cameos of what must be stand-ins or composites of David Bowie and Brian Eno.

I'm glad I finished it. If nothing else, PKD concisely explains his ideas about the nature of reality (via Heraclitus; true nature conceals itself in manifest structures) and this will inform into my subsequent reading of his books. There are several intriguing images and ideas which I will be thinking about for some time; the black iron prison, the universe as living information/world as language, the cyclical nature of time, man as his own savior. In this way, the book will have a life outside itself, as the best books will. Still, I can't help feeling the book should have been more coherent, and that it was badly written. 3/5
>>
>>9474499
Maybe try Radio Free Albemuth? I understand it was a version of the same basic story written earlier into his mental episode, and so more coherent.
>>
File: Belgariad.jpg (45KB, 321x500px) Image search: [Google]
Belgariad.jpg
45KB, 321x500px
Anyone read this series? Worth giving a shot? It sounds like fairly standard Heroes Journey 80's Fantasy which I'm down for, but you never know.
>>
>>9474503
I'll get to RFA at some point, but I'm put off by suggestions that it's basically a first draft. I'd sooner read Galactic Pot Healer. I noticed pottery is a recurring motif in several of his books I've read, and the premise of that one interests me. And I have Maze Of Death on the shelf unread. But before all that I'd like to read another author.
>>
where should I start with Le Guin, with the fantasy or the sci fi? I've heard great things about both Wizard of Earthsea and Left Hand of Darkness so I've narrowed it down to both of those.
>>
>>9474519
I only read the first book. It is okay. I like that the author actually has the main characters solve problems and take the initiative unlike other stories where the characters are constantly just reacting to the plots of others.
>>
>>9474365
I actually ordered the illustrated hardcover just yesterday. I looked at a preview of the book and it seemed really comfy.
>>
>>9474297
Hey, thanks man, I appreciate it. I expected a "fuck off" but then again I've never really spent much time in /lit/.

I know it doesn't say a whole lot and that's sort of the nature of a prologue if the initial chapter takes place before it (which it does). It's been difficult to write as it started out a young adult novel because I wasn't sure I was ready to write so openly and honestly yet. It quickly became a prequel and therefore I guess not a prequel really anymore (I wanted to do something like The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, where kids were about to see the story mature as they grew into adults).

Although I wanted to employ the vernacular ideal for YA fiction, it became increasingly apparent that I was writing something 11-15 y/o kids wouldn't really understand, so it became a novella instead, which is kind of why I stopped at 172 pages and it has no ending.

Maybe I'll post more, I just didn't feel like it was worth completing. The first chapter involves the sister being given a pendant w/ a clock in it as a birthday gift from her protective brother and it plays a role in her (eventual) psychic abilities, as she's tested by the group the brother belongs to before he betrays them to smuggle he and his sister out of the city.

Interesting that you enjoyed my concept more because every two chapters is separated by detached segments where the antagonist converses with an AI named Bream (the pendant) and it reads more like that preface than the book itself, though the language is totally different.
>>
>>9474745
Everyone on /lit/ wants to be an author but no one writes anything. It's a surprise when someone actually does.
>>
>>9474391
>Shit is obviously explained and he still comes asking for explanations.

Yeah but he was low iq, I don't remember, was it something 70-80?
>>
File: 1477499068234.png (254KB, 298x296px) Image search: [Google]
1477499068234.png
254KB, 298x296px
>just finished Dune Messiah today
>mfw
Is the third book more like the second or the first? I liked the first a lot because it was more about the ecology of a barren planet described in detail, and how people survived and even thrived on it with their unique customs, it wasn't a Space Bureaucracy Simulator. Then I read messiah which was actually a Space Bureaucracy Simulator.
>>
>>9474224
>I read the first two books
And yet you complained about it rushing? Nigga you did not even reach the main plot.
>>
>>9474180
>i can imagine tracking down each book being a pain in the ass, especially in the same edition.
Was fairly easy on Amazon.
>>
File: go.jpg (289KB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
go.jpg
289KB, 1066x1600px
So who will turn out to be a hidden Chandrian?
>>
File: 1.png (133KB, 860x1099px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
133KB, 860x1099px
Is grimdark fantasy unfair to female readers?
>>
>>9475174

The main toon, I forgot his name
>>
>>9475204
Grimdark fantasy is unfair to everyone, that's part of what makes it grimdark
>>
>>9475204
What book is she talking about? I'm actively looking for books with gangrape every twenty pages and can't find any...
>>
>>9475239
Play Rance.
>>
>>9475244
Not a book. Also not grimdark. ALSO written by a woman.
>>
>>9475253
Has rape though.
>>
>>9475204

Are romance novels unfair to male readers?
>>
>>9475204

>Written by males for males
>UNFAIR TO WOMEN!
>CHANGE IT NOW!
>CATER TO THE 5% AUDIENCE INSTEAD OF THE 95%!
>HEAR ME ROAR!
>>
>>9475204
Books labeled grimdark usually aren't worth reading, so it's not really unfair.
>>
What would you class as normie fantasy, something like Harry Potter? There needs to be a chart for this.
>>
>>9475335

Anything popular with reddit
>>
File: le reddit.png (839KB, 1003x2028px) Image search: [Google]
le reddit.png
839KB, 1003x2028px
>>9475335
>>9475351
>>
>>9475363

>Womameme in top 10

kek
Were you trying to prove my point?
>>
File: le redddit.png (328KB, 872x717px) Image search: [Google]
le redddit.png
328KB, 872x717px
>>9475363
>>
File: fat smug fucking face.jpg (31KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
fat smug fucking face.jpg
31KB, 620x413px
>>9475363
how does he do it?
>>
>>9475363

>Book of the New Sun is reddit

For fuck sake I thought it would be safe, I'm glad at least they don't like Gormenghast for some reason.
>>
Any of you fine gents got any recs for someone looking for something similar to the Souls video game franchise?
I've been reading Lovecraft for Bloodborne but was wondering if there were any novels that fit the Souls games.
>>9475391
>googled books like dark souls
>Book of the New sun and other reddit books
FUCK
>>
File: n.png (63KB, 856x657px) Image search: [Google]
n.png
63KB, 856x657px
Do you agree with this Redditor?

>[About Mistborn 1]
>1 - This isn't a book, it's a videogame or movie. Why can I imagine slow-motion camera work during a fight scene? Why do character perform purely showy filmic flips and somersaults... in a fight written in a novel? Why can I almost visualise a skillbar for when Kelsier, in Sanderson's own words, 'activates' a metal?
>>
I just finished the second book in the First Law series because you recommended it to me, scifi/fantasy people of lit, and I say I am disappointed. Simple story, few characters, no major character deaths, only one character (Glokta) who is interesting. I'm going to try The Name of the Wind next, but so help me god if it sucks too, I will lose my faith in you, scifi/fantasy people of lit.
>>
File: 1452696231699.jpg (250KB, 900x948px) Image search: [Google]
1452696231699.jpg
250KB, 900x948px
>>9475406
>i don't rate Sanderson.
>>
>>9475402

I think it's because in the newer Fantasy Masterworks editions they have a GRRM review on the cover.

Also why don't Reddit like Moorcock? For fuck sake the man revolutionized the entire fantasy genre but he gets zero recognition from those fuckers and anyone who claims to be a "geek" or "nerd".
>>
>>9475407
From what I've noticed, Rothfuss is shit on here daily.

So that's on you.
>>
>>9474836
3 is more like 2
>>
>>9475406
eh, Brandon just really likes Jackie Chan movies
>>
>>9473242
Maybe, but it's a bit like comparing turnds and shits. Quality of her writing isn't quite up there.
>>
File: rbooks.png (43KB, 208x168px) Image search: [Google]
rbooks.png
43KB, 208x168px
Which of these two books should I read?

For reference, I really liked Name of the Wind.
>>
File: Raft_Stephen_Baxter.jpg (21KB, 254x414px) Image search: [Google]
Raft_Stephen_Baxter.jpg
21KB, 254x414px
Whom'st ever recommended this months ago I thank you.
>>
File: clip.png (906KB, 1175x639px) Image search: [Google]
clip.png
906KB, 1175x639px
it all makes sense now
>>
>>9474528
Ever thought of Lathe of Heaven?
>>
>>9474747
>Everyone on /lit/ wants to be an author
Speak for yourself. I just like escapism, it helps keep my mind off an heroing.
>>
Am I the only one who skips over all the song/poems in Lord of the Rings when they re-read it. I read that shit hard the first time I read the books thinking they had some significance to the story/plot/characters. I still love the books but fuck all those songs/poems!!
>>
>>9475406

Its almost like the author is hoping to spawn a movie and/or video game franchise.
>>
>>9475474
lies
>>
File: 1480782675189.jpg (69KB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
1480782675189.jpg
69KB, 500x390px
>>9475204
>reddit screenshot anon is trying to rile us up once again with the stupidity of some of these female readers
Are you going to link her to this thread too like last time?

Also to that pic. She is saying "this particular book offends me, but why should I miss out on it? Change the book so none of the parts will affect my sensibilities". It's subtle, but that is what she is getting at. Keyword here is "my". There are plenty women who enjoy grimdark or GRI APPROVED novels.

And yes, there are books that turn off male readers, the 50 shades books, books where women objectify men as walking wallets/purses, while being ripped. Of course him being a chad, and being very rich, he takes this dumpy looking chick over everyone else because she is so special.

Glad 4chins is not redshit. If a gril (kinda doubt that with the "oi vey" bit but w/e) came spouting that shit she would be ridiculed and chased off with examples. I think these type of people strive on that site because you can't tell them to fuck off, or even tell them that they are being stupid or childish and a hypocrite. Because all the virgins will white knight her thinking they would get pussy as a prize.
>>
>>9475633
>oi vey
What the fuck does that have anything to do with her being a girl or not?
That means she's fucking JEWISH, anon.
>>
File: I'm one of you Trust me.png (208KB, 843x699px) Image search: [Google]
I'm one of you Trust me.png
208KB, 843x699px
>>9475204
>>9475363
>>9475365
>>9475406
>>
>>9475407
>one person recommend a book and no one cares enough to contradict him
>it's sffg's fault
>I've been shilling my books and no one says a peep
It's all on you faggot. We don't care for people who are too stupid to read a blurb and a few reviews to see if they would like a book.
>>
>>9475545
>info dump
>learning curve
>unobtrusive
>fedora wearer
>>
>>9475591
No one here reads Bore of the Rings, much less rereads it.
>>
File: LLMTNLNKHM1995.jpg (85KB, 397x600px) Image search: [Google]
LLMTNLNKHM1995.jpg
85KB, 397x600px
I was browsing editions of Ill Met In Lankhmar and found this handsome looking hardcover art by Mike Mignola from 1995.
>>
>>9475642
It sounded like a pol undercover trying to start shit up in reddit. We all know there are no girls on the internet, and even if there are, they don't read books. Much less grimdark ones.
>>
>>9475684
>We all know there are no girls on the internet
But I'm here right now
>>
File: THLTHFHVNB0000.jpg (141KB, 360x600px) Image search: [Google]
THLTHFHVNB0000.jpg
141KB, 360x600px
>>9474528

I also suggest The Lathe Of Heaven as >>9475562 does. It's just a solid one-off piece of 70s SF. Good prose, interesting premise, not too long, not too preachy or indulgent either. It's more lightweight than The Left Hand Of Darkness but it was a more enjoyable reading experience altogether. It just feels like an unassuming, well balanced book.
>>
>>9475676
you forgot the man himself
>>
>>9474836
>not liking Space Bureaucracy Simulator
Plebeian.
>>
>reading 1984
Jesus fuck. The cia & nsa have already been bugging your tvs and computers for years, now Trump is trying hard to start this shit, he has been double-thinking and black-whiteing people the whole campaign. What's next? You guys think that things written in that book could come to fruition?
Is that the sign of a good book? Decades later and it's still relevant?
>>
>>9475688
>btw I'm a gril ;^)
Take a pic of a book, with sffg and today's date written on a piece of paper. Make sure one of your hands is in the shot.
Be sure that we know tranny hands when we see them. If you are a pretend girl don't bother.

Everyone in this general has a penis. That is why we love GRI books.
>>
>>9475715
Oh... He looks like pearman...
>>
>>9475738
I found the hand fetishist
>>
>>9475730
Alternatively a sign of a fucked up world you can never fix.
>>
>>9475710
>It's more lightweight
kek
it gave me fistfuls of mindfuck & I loved every second of it
>>
>>9475793
That's to it's credit. It's a reality shifting book, but it's not difficult to read. You imagine how much more erratic it would be if Philip K Dick wrote the same plot. It's a flawless book - even Left Hand Of Darkness had its more stodgy parts.
>>
>>9475406

We have been saying Sanderson is anime for years now
>>
>>9475474

Buried Giant
>>
File: 1435948803806.jpg (85KB, 454x453px) Image search: [Google]
1435948803806.jpg
85KB, 454x453px
>>9475474
>I really liked Name of the Wind.
>>
>>9475591

I listened to the audiobook, and the narrator sang all the songs in the novels, and he was really good at them too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njwy02laJs0
>>
>>9475958

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD2RAglm2wk

This too, couldn't find it on youtube so here it is
>>
>>9475975

imo, it's better than every other version, even the ensemble garbage.
The guy has a beautiful voice singing
>>
File: jlk.jpg (136KB, 923x341px) Image search: [Google]
jlk.jpg
136KB, 923x341px
How do you feel about this issue?
>>
>>9476042

Maybe if (probably) she didn't want to read about rape so much, she shouldn't have fucking read that series to the end, christ
>>
>>9476042
Even "adult" fantasy is way less rapey than real history.
>>
>>9474519
I enjoyed it, but I was pretty young. Eddings is fairly juvenile - the bad guys are bad/ugly/stupid, the good guys are good/attractive/smart, there isn't a lot of grey in there. It might be too banal for an older reader to really enjoy.

Check out 'The Redemption Of Althalus' first and see if you enjoy it. Althalus is a stand-alone novel, but it's very much in-line with Eddings style, so you'll get a sense for whether or not you like him without committing to a five book slog.
>>
>>9474519
I have fond memories of reading this as a kid but even then i thought it was really predictable and cliche.
>>
Guys I just finished 1984.
Is the reason Julia's waist got broader and hardened because they raped her until she was preggers? Winston explained how the 50 year old washer woman got hard and broad from pushing out kids. I think they also did that to her because her fear was getting fat with a huge waist.
>>
>>9475749
I knew someone would say this. S"he" might not want to post "he"r face on 4chan(no one in their right mind would, soc is filled with retards). The next best thing to identify grils other than face, breast(worksafe board) is the hand.

Whatever it was a guy baiting us anyways. As we said no vaginas in here. Boipuccis, but no vaginas.
>>
File: 18047306.jpg (166KB, 297x475px) Image search: [Google]
18047306.jpg
166KB, 297x475px
>>9475941
I've read all of Sanderson's works (except video game novelization, library, and schizophrenia) and none of them is more anime than pic related.

Ask anyone who read it.
>>
>>9476042
How do you feel about searching through redshit to find things that "may" trigger /sffg/. Seeing as no one gave you as many (you)s as last thread, you are going hard atm.
>>
>Announced new book September last year
>No new information almost a year later

What's going on with him?
>>
File: First Timers Chart - first.png (247KB, 1417x964px) Image search: [Google]
First Timers Chart - first.png
247KB, 1417x964px
bleh
>>
>>9476145
Ohh fuck, I missed that. Sounds very likely.
>>
>>9475738
>That is why we love GRI books.
Speak for yourself anon-kun.
>>
>>9476201
How many people do you think have the slightest idea what the authors they read look like?
>>
>>9475682
is that from the comic (which Mignola pencilled) or an actual book cover?
>>
>>9476201

lev?
>>
>>9475738
>That is why we love GRI books.
There are like three people who come to these threads that like GRI, everyone else doesn't care or thinks it's stupid.
>>
Lately, I've been deliberately buying books by female authors. It has been a worthwhile experience, finding some authors that I have added to my buy on sight list. Here's a breakdown of what I've picked up lately.

Black Wolves by Kate Elliot - I loved this book, and I'm excited to keep reading this story. The characters are wonderful, it doesn't seem like anyone is necessarily safe, and the world is very cool. I will definitely be seeking out more Kate Elliot.

Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly - I've seen Hambly around for years, and I'm pretty sure I've read her before, but not recently. That said, I disliked this book. I largely found it okay, and would have ranked it as mediocre but there was a key moment where the main character lets the main villain go for no reason. That was the moment it went from okay to bad for me.

The Immortal Prince by Jennifer Fallon - Found this one used, and picked it up to try the whole mortal woman in love with an immortal monster thing, and I actually really enjoyed it. The Tide Lords are a nice variant, and an interesting way of doing things, the characters were decent, the story has potential. Well worth the read, and I will be looking for the rest of these.

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik - I loved this book. It just rolled along, relatively easy, but with that fun, easy, and surprisingly emotional bond between man and dragon. I blasted through this and will definitely be picking up more Novik. Also, there was none of that icky romance stuff that so often seems to be the reason people say they can't enjoy female authors.

Lastly, kind of a cheat, because I've already been reading her for years, I just blasted through Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb. So goddamn good. I had tears in my eyes throughout this novel. They seem like they're burning so slow, and then bam! Right in the feels.
>>
>>9476042
Stop posting your favorite reddit posts here.
>>
I read all of the Johannes Cabal series currently released and it was quite good, I liked the 3rd book the most I think.
>>
>>9476212
The chart works as a guide, but it's visually ugly and could be made a lot easier to follow.
>>
Anyone here anticipating Witchwood Crown? Just me?
>>
>tfw you finally force yourself to write again but you have no passion for your creations and everything is so cringey you don't even want to look at them long enough to write a second page

please kill me

>>9476606
Personally I think it went south after the first book. book 3 was decent enough though
>>
>>9476623
Write ahead of your self criticism. If you write nothing you never improve and have nothing to work with to make better.
>>
>>9476623
Add more cringe, you're aiming for Reddit fame anyway, no?
>>
>>9476628

I was only able to write before because I was delusional enough to think that I had potential. Now everything I try seems a sad and pathetic attempt. At best I'm trying to recapture some aborted half-glory days and at worst I'm a hopeless hack who should have been ground into the dirt before I ever made the mistake of developing ambition
>>
>>9476655
I gave you advice, if you don't want to follow it then whatever. Just wallow in maudlin self pity then, I'm sure that's more productive.
>>
>>9476655
I used to feel the same way, but I decided to just write. I started easy by writing a dialogue-heavy "slice of life" which catapulted me into starting two fantasy stories. Now I alternate between the three and progress is slow, but persistent. And if I want to write a poem or short story, I take a break and just write some poems or short stories like it's no big deal. Even if I don't think they're perfect or even decent, I save them and move on. Maybe I'll tweak them later, maybe I won't. I like writing, so I write.

Basically, even if you try and fail, you'd still be closer to succeeding than if you had never tried at all.
>>
Its "brood" an adequate word to use for a litter of rats?

Im working on a short story, and I was going to name it "The broods of the rat queen" or some shit like that, but after looking it up it looks like its used for thing that hatch from eggs.

just using the word "litter" would be more straightfoward, but it lacks some punch in my opinion, but Im not a native english speaker, so I might just be me.
>>
>>9476741
Brood has a more sinister or vile connotation to it. Litter has a cuter connotation to it so probably not what you want.
>>
File: tom-bombadil-.jpg (268KB, 751x1063px) Image search: [Google]
tom-bombadil-.jpg
268KB, 751x1063px
I'm rereading the Lord of the Rings, and I got to the part where Tom Bombadil appears, and I got an idea about his nature.

He doesn't actually exists.

You see, the Lord of the Rings is meant to be Tolkien's translation of the Red Book of Westmarch, itself the copy of a copy of a book that was written years after the events it describes. It's not supposed to be a literal account, but a myth, a legend.

We know from real history how myths distorts actual facts. The battle of Roncesvalles was a skirmish between Franks and Basques, but in medieval romance it became an epic struggle between Christians and Muslims. Alexander the Great was a Greek conqueror in Persia, but in medieval romance his role is greatly expanded and a lot of adventures are add to his history. Not to mention characters that are invented out of thin air like King Arthur.

Tolkien was harking back to this tradition, the Lord of the Rings is meant to be read like this, and what does it mean for characters like Tom Bombadil? Well, just like in medieval legends, shit got interpolated. We know that Tom Bombadil is a character of Hobbit folklore, so it's not hard to see a later scribe including his story in earlier chapters when he was sure no one would be able to call out his bullshit (it's harder to interpolate on later chapters when there is so much that can be independently verified by outside sources).

So his interpolator included Hobbit folklore about Tom Bombadil, the Old Forest and the barrow-wights to spice out the narrative between their departure of the Shire and their arrival at Bree, because he thought it would be fun, then Tolkien translated it and it got included in the Lord of the Rings, and now everyone is discussing if Tom Bombadil was God or not, because he was so out of place.

PS: I know that Bombadil was mentioned in later chapters, in the Council of Elrond and Many Partings, but these can be interpolations too. Notice that by the time the Red Book was written, there was no one who could say that anything added to these parts of the narrative was bullshit, because everyone who was present at the council of Elrond or at the journey back from the Quest of the Ring was either dead or departed from Middle-Earth.
>>
>>9475204
>>9475236
What's some grimdark fantasy besides Bakker and Mark Lawrence? And Night angel I guess, but idk if I'd even count that.
>>
>>9476818
its kinda hard to know what was true in the story if we try to see things that way, i think
>>
>>9476823
Tales of Noreela by Tim Lebbon.
>>
>>9476818
There's no justification to read tLotR as having an unreliable narrator beyond what exists in every book by default. Reading in an unreliable narrator doesn't add anything to the text that I can think of, so I don't see the use in doing it. But if you enjoy it then I'm glad for you and wish you the best.
>>
Why is to shill a God back on the selected fantasy list?
>>
File: steelremains.jpg (451KB, 775x1181px) Image search: [Google]
steelremains.jpg
451KB, 775x1181px
>>9476823
>>
>>9476930
Cause he probably started one of the recent threads and switched out the OPs again and people copied that one and continued it. Switch it back for the next thread, and if the thread after that one has it back then report the OP for advertising.
>>
>>9475941
As someone who's in the middle of reading Way of Kings, all those years of labelling it as anime did not prepare me for how anime it really is.
>>
>>9476833
>>9476876
I feel we can be pretty sure about events at the end of the Third Age, specially those with lot of witnesses, so the War of the Ring happened exactly as described.

But parts of the book with only the Hobbits, and the Silmarillion as a whole, could be heavily interpolated by later scribes or even mythologized originally. That's how we get weird shit like talking swords or people turning into birds in the First Age, for example. It was just legend about past times, even the Elves that actually remembered shit were all at Aman by the time Bilbo wrote the "Translations from the Elvish" so they couldn't call the myth from reality by the time it was written.
>>
>>9476930
>>9476949
this is the thread where it first showed
>>>9466929
if anyone wants to report him
>>
>>9476981
Yeah I just noticed it too. So for next thread be sure to use an older version of the selected fantasy.
>>
>>9476930
>>9476949
>>9476981
>>9476986
If you have a goodreads account, go on and rate the piece of shit one star, maybe that will stop him from pulling this crap.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31691047-to-kill-a-god
>>
>>9477032
why would we give him the publicity?
>>
I can't do this /sffg/. I can't press forward knowing how awful my writing is. I know if I don't I'll never get anything done but I am physically fucking injuring myself in an attempt to keep myself from starting over. I don't mean resistance is painful, I mean I'm actually clawing at my face and attempting rip tufts of my hair out. This is impossible!
>>
>>9476393
I have no way to prove it, but I'm absolutely certain you copy pasted this from Reddit
>>
>>9477177
What publicity? You delete it from your feed and so all that's left is a bad review and a lower rating, the latter of which kills sales.
>>
File: 28020433.jpg (41KB, 318x445px) Image search: [Google]
28020433.jpg
41KB, 318x445px
Has anyone read the Dread Empire's fall?

Is it any good?
>>
File: cover-sc2-2[1].jpg (551KB, 1400x700px) Image search: [Google]
cover-sc2-2[1].jpg
551KB, 1400x700px
Anyone have recommendations on StarCraft lit?
>>
File: mug7[1].jpg (169KB, 1195x519px) Image search: [Google]
mug7[1].jpg
169KB, 1195x519px
>>9477268
also just picked up Emperor this morning, starting it tonight. i have to say this is a pretty lit series, the setting is really interesting and fits the grimdark as fuck theme.
>>
>>9475363
Atleast Bakker-kun is safe
>>
>>9477331
Those books are shit! They try too hard to be edgy in my opinion.
>>
>>9476964
Personally I couldn't even read it, it was so bad. Stopped after reading 3/5 through because I knew that I wouldn't like anything he wrote.
>>
Any books where the protagonist is similar to that of baldurs gate 1 and 2? I mean that he would be a god/demon/etc reborn or something like that. Maybe he is the result of an experiment or something?
>>
>>9477268
the novels are all horrible.
>>
>>9477331
>I don't like to get angry. It makes me angry.
>>
Why is genre so dead

In one corner you have a few white male (and Cixin Liu) hard scifi writers

In another corner you have China Mieville

In another corner you have the gaggle of SJW freaks

And finally you have Vox Day and the autistic dogs or whatever they're called

What happened
>>
>>9476944
Goodreads tells me that there are homosexual men in this and I aint about to read gay shit so no thanks
>>
>>9477714
>doesn't like gay shit

what are you, a fag? GRI is a fantasy staple
>>
File: 1493547236286.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493547236286.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
>>9477702
It's simply a reflection of the fact that everyone holds extreme and retarded political opinions nowadays. But you always have decades upon decades of backlog that you've probably neglected to read so you can afford to wait it out.
>>
>>9477742
I wouldn't mind girl on girl but I don't want to read how some guy got his dick docked so hard that he now has an inverted penis that pops out of his asshole every time he gets a boner okay?
>>
>>9477714
there are a couple of scenes in the whole trilogy which although explicit not that much of a feature overall.
>>
>>9473163
What are the big names in fantasy authors? Trying to make a list but drawing a blank
>>
>>9477802
Currently, or of all time?
>>
>>9477822
All time and I guess some that are currently just so I'm not left with a list of old authors
>>
>>9477756
how could you hate it when you do it so well?
>>
Any fantasy books about a father protecting his daughter?
>>
>>9477850
Sabriel?
>>
File: 1486780539633.jpg (26KB, 386x389px) Image search: [Google]
1486780539633.jpg
26KB, 386x389px
>>9477331
>it's a bad idea to kill your own men but I do it anyway oopsie daisie look how dark I am
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
24KB, 480x360px
>>9477268
>tfw I just realized Kerrigan got tentacle raped.
>>
>>9477702
the hard scifi guys are fine. So is China Mieville, actually.

Vox Day's crowd are mostly pulp writers of varying abilities. They've always been around. The fact that they weren't for a while was the anomaly.

Just ignore the SJW stuff.
>>
>>9477836
Alright, here's some - not necesarily all the best, or a definitive list of any kind, just ones that are/have been important:

>Robert E. Howard
>Fritz Leiber
>J.R.R. Tolkien
>Roger Zelazny
>Andre Norton
>Gene Wolfe
>Ursula K. LeGuin
>Michael Moorcock
>Robert Jordan
>George R.R. Martin
>Terry Pratchett
>Brandon Sanderson
>Patrick Rothfuss
>Neil Gaiman
>China Mieville
>>
How is the translation for the three body problem?

The plot looks interesting but i'm afraid a translation from chinese will be really awkward to read.
>>
>>9477931
its fine
t. trisolaran
>>
>>9477802
http://greatsfandf.com/authors-lists.php
>>
File: artist.png (84KB, 351x317px) Image search: [Google]
artist.png
84KB, 351x317px
>scrapped over twenty projects
>still don't have a debut novel to show the world
Fantasy is filled with shit writers, why can't I shed my inner perfectionist and publish a piece of garbage for a quick buck?
>>
>>9477925
>Rothfuss on that short list.
>>
>>9476833
>>9476876
I don't think it's unreliable in a deceptive way. I think what Anon is getting at is that LotR was written to be like Homer's Epics, Arthurian Romances, Beowulf, etc. Legends that has a seed in true history, but became embellished in retellings
>>
>>9477970
Because you have at least a shred of self-respect? Or maybe because if it's a piece of garbage the chances of it standing out against all the pre-established garbage in the genre are approximately zero?
>>
>>9477331
i might have to give this a try again someday, but i dropped the first book because it was cringey as fuck
>>
>>9477268

I remember reading three starcraft novels when I was a wee lad, I only remember the name of the shittiest one Liberty´s crusade, it was the "I will insert my OC in the events of the original games"

the others were a bit better, another one was about a farm planet that gets overrun by Zerg and the colonist population has to defend itself from them using space farming tools.

my favourite was about a last stand by some marines in yet another planet overrun by Zerg as they try to buy some time for the population to board space shuttles and escape, they all die and the civilians get out. the end.

For some reason all of them had a female with latent psychic powers, as if everyone wanted to have their own donut steel Kerrigan.
>>
>>9477945
This is a fantastic site. Thanks anon
>>
>>9478012
Yeah it's great someone was shilling it here the other day.

The guy writing the site loves dinosaurs a bit too much but he's still very informative.
>>
File: Starship_Troopers_(novel)[1].jpg (38KB, 205x300px) Image search: [Google]
Starship_Troopers_(novel)[1].jpg
38KB, 205x300px
>>9473163
So, one of you guy's told me to read
"starship troopers"
loved it, give me another like that.
If you wouldn't mind.
>>
>>9478042
I appreciate that he appreciates Dunsany
>>
>>9478043
Try the forever war.
>>
>>9478043
Well, it's the military sci-fi subgenre, so the normal recommendations would be The Forever War and Old Man's War, but I don't care for either of those, so I'm going to recommend you Life During Wartime.
>>
File: 28220647[1].jpg (13KB, 263x400px) Image search: [Google]
28220647[1].jpg
13KB, 263x400px
Having just finished this I can say Terra Ignota is the most interesting Earth's-future setting since Quantum Thief.
>>
>>9478070
>>9478073
I'll be honest I just liked the whole concept that people would vote more often, and with more consideration if they'd earned the right too.

and I'm a sucker for the training montage type book, enders game, that type of thing
>military sci-fi
at least now I know what to google

>the forever war
think I read that,
relativistic time travel fuckery, then everybody's gay.
(I mean I get why he made the future like that)

>old man's war
>life during wartime
those'll keep me going for a bit.
Ta anons
>>
>>9478126
Old Man's War does the training montage thing, Life During Wartime doesn't. I can't think of any other military sci-fi that gets into voting and whatnot.
>>
>>9473204
>>9478043
>>
>>9474498
What would you recommend for an absolute beginner. I tried some of King's books and I got bored half way through....thought I was missing something due to all the hype
>>
>>9476930

Because it's a good book?
>>
>>9477032

>Stevian Heartbound, your constant pushing of this dreck spurred this review, where I gave your writing more of a shake than it deserves. I hope you're satisfied

>They don't know Stevian hasn't posted here in almost a year
>>
>>9478146
Not anon, but I started with Lovecraft. Not particularly spooky to me (i dont think books are a good medium for me to experience horror) but it definitely interested me.

He has good short stories too which are only a few pages long

Probably a faggot thing to do but I like reading some of them to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gElrFTIHVOk

I feel like it really helps to capture the atmosphere, especially in Dagon
>>
>>9475204
The only way to make it fair is to make the male characters gangbanged as well. Then no one wins :)

(On a side note, have any of you guys read books where the male character was raped?)
>>
>>9478180
Outlander, though people are kind of reluctant to call that fantasy even though it's about time travel
>>
>>9477970
you're probably a worse author than any of the people producing garbage
>>
>>9478146
not him, but.
I found the dark tower series is quite good,
but it's a slow burn.

but as to books that are legitimately spooky, if you ask me it really depends on what you find scary.
>>
>>9478169
Ok thanks! I'll definitely start with him. I sometimes put music on when I'm reading erotica so I get it
>>
>>9478192
Lots of peopel mentione the dark tower series...guess this is a sign to start it. I guess that's why horror is difficult to write since everyone's afraid of different things. Still I know humor is also different for everyone and yet there's still some notable books in the genre....
>>
>>9478203
What kind of music do you put on for erotica
>>
>>9476393
>The Immortal Prince by Jennifer Fallon
No fucking duh, it's good and its in the rec charts in the OP.
>>
>>9478192
>>9478220
No, no, no.

The only good book of the dark tower series is book 1. After that, it devolves into tired Stephen King memery.
>>
>>9473163
Is there any novel out there about a father protecting his daughter.

Listen here, I just wanna self insert and someone who is trying to protect his daughter from something evil. I want to protect the innocence okay? Is that so bad. Does this not exist somewhere? I don't want a rescue romance story because it'll just remind me I'm a hopeless romantic.
>>
>>9478226
it's
>>
>>9477196
>Lately, I've been deliberately buying books by female authors. It has been a worthwhile experience, finding some authors that I have added to my buy on sight list. Here's a breakdown of what I've picked up lately.

copy and paste this into google and first thing is a reddit post. Good eye anon. How did ya know?
>>
>>9476741
You could say clutch of the rat queen. And make your rat lay eggs.
>>
File: Not reading.jpg (38KB, 408x510px) Image search: [Google]
Not reading.jpg
38KB, 408x510px
>>9476818
>>
>>9478165
No, I'm sure it's one of his many fans subbing out the recommendation image.
>>
>>9478331

And anyone who ever recommends boku no pico is a giant fan of it and loves it right?
>>
>>9478386
>let me fuck with and disrupt your general every time by changing your charts, and changing them again when you fixed it
>it's just a prank brah
>can't handle the banter
Seeing how you are defending him I think you are stevian.
Kys plz
>>
>>9478399

Stop false flagging, Stevian
>>
>>9478418
God you're pathetic.
>>
>>9478419
It's only you who gets super buttpained any time TKaG or Steve is mentioned
Maybe if you ignored the trolls they would leave?
>>
>>9478425
News flash, Stevian, you've been responding to more than one person that hates you.
>>
>>9478436
News flash Stevian, you've been responding to more than one Stevian
>>
>>9478012

>No PKD

Dude mentions the PKD Award but never bothers to list PKD as one of the greats? C'mon, man.
>>
>>9478461
There are some weird omissions like that and LeGuin but the info he has on authors is nice.
>>
Is the once and future king any good?
>>
>>9478477
It's fantastic. Idk how you feel about juvenile type stuff, but only the first part has that feel. IT ends up getting very heavy and fantastic. The third section about Lancelot is great
>>
>>9478484
Thanks pham
>>
>>9474368
Was the third book any good? I read the first and the second but I heard the author got really sick and never finished the third.
>>
r8 my genre shelves lads
>>9478491
>>
>gave up on reading conservation of shadows to read skullsword
>gave up on skullsworn to try american gods
>gave up on american gods to give powder mage a go
>now I have no interest in powder mage

What the fuck? Why is everything out there so goddamn awful. I'm finding nothing but suck on both patrician and plebian fantasy.

Don't say I don't like fantasy, because I do. I don't like anything that isn't fantasy except maybe science non-fiction. Whyy the fuck does everything suck?
>>
File: 1490396199570.jpg (3MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1490396199570.jpg
3MB, 3888x2592px
WHEN WHEN???
>>
>Perhonen screams around Mieli, but the autism keeps her mind on the task at hand.
Literal weaponised autism.
>>
>>9478567
Library at mount char
Come back when you read it.
>>
>>9478587
We've been saying for years that the quantum thief series is 4chan the novel.
>>
What's the worst fantasy book you've read?
>>
File: breeks.png (196KB, 436x948px) Image search: [Google]
breeks.png
196KB, 436x948px
>>9478598
Either the first Night Angel or the second Sword of Truth
>>
>>9478590
>suburban low fantasy

how can I not like this? My expectations couldn't be lower!
>>
>>9478603

>Tfw I loved that series
>>
>>9478605
What are you still doing here? Did you finish it already?
>>
>>9478603
Thomas Covenant the unbeliever.
>>
>>9478500
I really liked the third. It's very different from the first two and a lot of people go into it expecting more of the same, so they end up disappointed. Peake conceived of the series as going through Titus' entire life and changing setting and characters as he aged. But since he could only write three books the one not set in Gormenghast itself is like the odd man out. People also seem put off by the technology, but the style is the same
>>
>>9478566
Needs more memes and the other two KSR Mars books, but you have nice looking DAW Downbelow Station so I'll give it a pass. Like the compilations too.
>>
>not /sffhg/ - science fiction, fantasy, and horror general

ugh

mods?
>>
The fella (or anyone) who wants a primer education in fantasy only needs 5 authors for an overview: Robert Howard, Ursula Le Guin, George RR Martin, Gene Wolfe, Brandon Sanderson. I think almost every facet of the genre is represented these five, and they're all in print and easy to find.
>>
>>9478659
>a primer education in fantasy without Tolkien
whut
>>
>>9478661
I would argue everybody already knows about LOTR now, so it's redundant. More contentiously, I think he has little to do with fantasy nowadays - and that he is a bad read.
>>
>>9478653
I don't think you understand what mods do. Feel free to ask horror related questions.
>>
>>9478439
Jesus Christ you are sad. Get a fucking life.
>>
>>9478567
What have you read and enjoyed?
>>
>>9477974
He's very popular. Whether he will remain so in 10 years is tough to say since he seems intent on never actually finishing his series.
>>
>>9478634
I don't mind the setting change, I just remember hearing that his illness really effected his writing. I'm going to read it then, I really enjoyed the first two for the writing more than anything else.
>>
Learned people of fantasy, please recommend me something for my specific tastes:

1. a huge cast of characters with no clear main character, at least not immediately
2. no good vs evil with the good guys ultimately winning
3. good world building, vibrant cultures and history, allowing for further reading into lore
4. not cliche and tropey in any way
5. not Game of Thrones (already into it)
6. with or without magic

Please, you legends!
>>
>>9478696
It's the same style, or almost the same, but everything seems even more like a dream. There's very little in the way of explanation of events but I'm guessing you don't mind that if you enjoyed the first two
>>
>>9478698
Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's not a light read, it's 10 incredibly long and dense books that have a lot of shit going on, and the author does not hold your hand or ease you into it. You hit the ground running and learn how things work as you go, or you give up reading it.
>>
>>9478672
I mean, good or bad read is subjective, but how is Sanderson not just a modernized form of Tolkien's basic elements (filtered through Jordan)?
>>
>>9478703
that's one more check to add to the Malazan box thanks
>>
I can't bring myself to finish Malazan.
Hood's breath, its becoming so fucking shitty
>>
>>9478704
For introductory purposes, people can appreciate Sanderson as a modern inheritor of Tolkein and the 80s/90s names. He covers a lot of bases, while being contemporary, and he is more approachable than Tolkein. I just don't think Tolkein is a good introduction for modern readers.
>>
>>9478711
What book are you on? Cause the one that was hard for me to continue after was 7.
>>
>>9478715
I can sort of see contemporary as a selling point, but Sanderson doesn't really have the mythic weight of Tolkien - the Ring has all sorts of Wagnerian/Norse myth going on, Catholic imagery surrounding the Return of the King, riffs on Beowulf in the Hobbit, environmental themes with the Ents, surprisingly mature gender stuff with "Dernhelm", etc, where Sanderson mostly avoids anything past basic Mormon morality and action-filled adventure. Plus there's a length issue - you can fit the entirety of The Lord of the Rings in one volume of Stormlight Archive.
>>
Maybe if I'm so hurt from just a little bad criticism that I actually attempt to physically injure myself when I cringe at my writing I shouldn't attempt to write at all, but if not that then what?

Any art form I pursue will be full of criticism, but if I create nothing worth remembering in my life then what point was there in me living at all? If I killed myself now it would make no difference to how I'm remembered, and it would save me all the suffering I'd do for the next 60 or so years of my life knowing I'm just another worthless waste of calories, a replaceable office worker who labors only to sustain his own existential misery
>>
>>9478471

He also leaves out Lem, arguably one of the all time greats. Just noticed that. I don't see Zamyatin listed either.
>>
Guys for real question. Is the Asimov magazine worth checking out? Is there usually good stuff in there or is it a capshoot?
>>
>>9478793
>Is there usually good stuff in there or is it a capshoot?

Yes.
>>
>>9478793
Crapshoot* sorry, very tired.>>9478793
>>
Anyone know some good vampire fiction like Vampire the Masquerade? I've been listening to Cirque du Freak recently, and it's charming, but I'd prefer something more adult
>>
>>9478797
Yes to which one?
>>
>>9478653
>being this reddit
>not knowing horror falls under fantasy and sci-fi
>>
>>9478684
He is reading library at mount char. Sorry he can't return until he finishes it.
>>
>>9478698
Library at mount char. Read it or not. I did a detailed shill some time ago and cba to find it or type long shit again.
>>
File: fablehaven-collage1[1].jpg (289KB, 1024x312px) Image search: [Google]
fablehaven-collage1[1].jpg
289KB, 1024x312px
This is one of my guilty pleasures in life and I was wondering if there's an adult-oriented series that follows the theme of a fantasy "preserve"?

Though I suppose being melted and eaten by a balloon is already pretty "adult"
>>
File: 1486771729502.jpg (240KB, 1171x531px) Image search: [Google]
1486771729502.jpg
240KB, 1171x531px
>>9478747
>ignored him thinking he would go away
>4 consecutive "woah is me" posts about "muh inability to write"
>just fishing for sympathy (you)s and ego rubbing
See why you writer fags are despised? This isn't your fucking blog.
>>
>>9478809
Salem's lot
Fevre Dream
Let the right one in
The strain trilogy by del toro
>>
>>9478904

>Ask for a niche genre book
>Write it yourself
>Ask for ideas
>Get shit on
>Actually release a fucking book
>Get shit on
>>
>>9478935
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjkNNDuAb9A
>>
File: misery cover.jpg (19KB, 259x383px) Image search: [Google]
misery cover.jpg
19KB, 259x383px
>>9478873
>>
File: horror per year.png (3MB, 788x2544px) Image search: [Google]
horror per year.png
3MB, 788x2544px
>>9478653
There was an horror general sometime but the thread didn't have many requests.
>>
>>9478961
>haunting of hill house

Only book that has ever had me questioning my sanity
>>
>>9478966
Great, the suggestion is one of the best elements you can find in a horror story
>>
>>9478223
BANKS and Lana del Rey mostly. And that one 50 shades song by Beyoncé. Well anything along those lines haha
>>
is there any fantasy/scifi series that is edgy as fuck and fulfills most of this checklist.

1 - has monsters or creatures of some sort
2 - gratuitous violence
3 - 2deep4u lore or worldbuilding
4 - sex and rape to taste
5 - 2deep4u philosophy rambling
>>
>>9478230
I've heard people saying that the buildup really pays off but if the rest of the books are really like his usual shit then I'll just prolly read the first one and not continue
>>
>>9476252
Canada-san. What are you reading right now?
>>
>>9479175

Broken Empire
>>
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25895524-red-sister

HAHAHA

>I was born for killing – the gods made me to ruin.

Holy shit, is this another Mark Lawrence masterpiece?
>>
>>9479168
>not listening to 70's and 80's porn music.
>>
File: Not even worth 12 talents.jpg (21KB, 455x350px) Image search: [Google]
Not even worth 12 talents.jpg
21KB, 455x350px
>>9479175
You know, that I know, that you knkw bakker is all you wanted.
>>
File: redditlol.jpg (394KB, 1288x966px) Image search: [Google]
redditlol.jpg
394KB, 1288x966px
>>9479186

>Reading that reddit shit
>>
>>9479186
Is there such thing as a good kind of edgy?
>>
>>9479234

Definitely, everything Mark Lawrence writes is good edge
>>
>>9479273
>>9479273
>>9479273

New thread
>>
Is the emperor of thrones book supposed to have the ugly font change whenever there is a flashback?
>>
>>9479186
Red Sister almost felt like a YA novel at parts. It's got some of the same formula.
>>
Does Iron Dragon's Daughter get any better? I'm about 150 pages in and not getting the appeal. The beginning part at the factory was riveting, but now it's just like !NotAmerica
>>
>>9479726
More drugs, more Jane being a bitch, more sex.
More desire to destroy the universe.

Luckily Melanchon didn't win the yesterday election.
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.