[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 64

File: 1476306739152.png (35KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1476306739152.png
35KB, 1920x1440px
orbital mega-structures edition

Fantasy
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:
>>9431124
>>9421255
>>9408695
>>9396141
>>9387712
>>9379514
>>
File: First Timers Chart - first.png (247KB, 1417x964px) Image search: [Google]
First Timers Chart - first.png
247KB, 1417x964px
>>9442315
Alternatevely: "post your charts" edition

quoth myself:
>This took a while so be kind. Please note I'm only putting down stuff I've read, so I know there's glaring omissions.
>Also taking the time to mention Watts alongside the likes of Clarke and Asimov is strange but I really do think he's phenomenal author.

>This is a only a first and now I've got the software and basis I can easily update it, so please ask if you want anything added.
>>
>>9441547
In addition to Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino, Trafalgar by Angélica Gorodischer.
>>
>>9442321
Always nice to see new content. Well, usually.

The setup is a bit strange, the curved lines make it harder to follow than a normal flowchart. Also I suppose the notes are separate so that the other bubbles don't get too big. Also maybe consider adding a background color because it's even harder to read with image hover over a thread.
>>
Any great novels with a anti-hero girl protag?
>>
>>9442400
No.
>>
I'm looking for Laird Barron's Swift to Chase in epub/mobi

Can't seem to find it anywhere

Anybody?
>>
File: Suggestion Chart.jpg (699KB, 1000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
Suggestion Chart.jpg
699KB, 1000x4000px
>>9442341
>usually
Y-y... You're speaking of me aren't you?
>>
Can someone answer these questions?
>>9442058

>>9442062
>>
File: 1490909565095.jpg (11KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1490909565095.jpg
11KB, 480x270px
>>9442696
>>
>>9442704
So new york 2140 is about society and social structure crumbling so much that men longer have to control their base instinct? If an erection is caused, he can bodily grab the offender and may it known to them the effect they have on one's self?
Is this novel GRI APPROVED? Is there wanton rape and sexual satisfaction going on in these pages?
>>
>>9442691

The Lies of Lock Lamora is dog shit. Horrible pacing. Enough good writing to keep you interested but plot development and story pacing was pretty bad. It drags on in the beginning through middle then rushes the climax with uninspiring and shitty devices/premises. After all the stroking it gets online I was extremely disappointed when I finished it.
>>
>>9442315
Looking for books written in first person. What are the best ones out there?
>>
Does Horror or Weird Fiction go under /sffg/?

If so, any recommendations or charts for such?

Thinking about picking up House of Leaves
>>
>>9442955
Armstrong's diary desu
>>
>>9442955
The first that comes to mind and what I would warmly recommend is Fforde's Shades of Grey.

Also I am currently reading the 'sci-fi' book Handmaid's Tale, and it's more fun than I would have imagined.
>>
>>9442691

Why isn't To Kill a God on any of your charts?
>>
File: 1483560125821.png (3MB, 788x2544px) Image search: [Google]
1483560125821.png
3MB, 788x2544px
>>9442971
Some people probably don't think it should - there was a shortlived /hor/ thread around last Halloween - but I've got no problem with it. Never actually read HoL though.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ZDBOc2tX8

has anyone watched this course? what did you think of it?
>>
>>9442971
we'll take it
>>
>>9443076
>no Cyclonopedia for 2008
>>
>>9443120
I did a while ago, it was pretty interesting. Especially when the guest lecturer talked about why Harry Potter has such wide appeal.
>>
>>9443161
link?
>>
>>9443161
I'm enjoying it as well.

Even though I already know I'm just going to write embarassing shit (I have so few contacts with people IRL and so rarely read in my native language that I forgot substantial parts of my grammar, like the use of two whole tenses lol), I hope to have fun. :3
>>
Just started a feast for crows. Definitely different from the others, but I have read too much to stop now. Tell me it gets better.
>>
>>9443168
It is in this episode, starts at 34:18 or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXSjRqTZeCs
>>
So guys, here's a thought: what if Rothfuss will never finish the Kingkiller Chronicles because Kvothe is an author inset, and now that Patrick is married and has 2 kids, he can no longer relate to his character and his shenanigans? I mean, it's kinda hard to write about wishful thinking scenarios when you've been relieved of the impending wizard status, especially when your character is in his late teens and suffers from some really bad case of edge that fatherhood has cured you of.

Only part of the plot that could still hold up is Kvothe's eternal money struggle.
>>
>>9443071
How long was your ban? Was it permanent? Are you ban evading right now? After all the shit you caused I thought a long ban was in the works...
>>
>>9443218

>Recommending a book is a bannable offence
>>
>>9443216
A Dream of Spring and The Last Dangerous Visions will both release before Rothfuss gets off his arse
>>
>>9443224
He was editing the op charts and putting his book in them to receive financial gain, with his $10 a ebook scam.
He got on everyone's last nerves, mods nuked him, and he is back it seems.
>>
>>9443240

Conspiracy theories belong on /x/
>>
File: 1480713071240.jpg (107KB, 526x700px) Image search: [Google]
1480713071240.jpg
107KB, 526x700px
>>9443243
Kys. You pull those shit again the mods will nuke you?
>>
>>9443248

I was never nuked by the mods not even once, and I was never Stevian
>>
>>9443253
>>
>>9443225
So never then. Cause GRRM is dying before book 7 ever comes out, maybe before book 6 at this rate, but we'll still probably get book 6 published posthumously since enough of it is probably written to do that.
>>
>>9443216
I think all the success went to his head and now he doesn't want to be an author anymore, just a part of the fantasy celebrity scene like George is. Only unlike George he doesn't have nearly the same amount of clout so it's just kinda sad to see him posturing like he's one of the big names in fantasy.
>>
>>9442759
No.
I just meant I get hard when asked questions.
>>
Consider Phlebas was my favourite orbital mega-structure. The whole culture series was a massive influence in my current taste for science fiction.
>>
>>9442971
This is pretty much the only place on /lit/ where people won't look down on you for reading genre fiction so you might as well try to find other fans here.
>>
>>9443120
I've watched a few of Mr Sanderson's lectures. I'm not an aspiring writer, but I learned some insight into how an author can approach writing genre fiction. In broad terms, Brandon emphasizes the need to please the reader by establishing a tone/convention/promise earlier on in a work, and then fulfilling it in the course of the book.

He also suggests ways to generate inspiration and plot ideas for books. This can be a process of outlining a setting, its culture and geography, and then a series of characters and their traits (each with an interesting 'hook'). The idea is to identify a source of conflict between character, setting, and a plot framework (revenge, rags-to-riches, coming-of-age, romance, travelogue, buddy movie, etc.) For me this was the most interesting part of the course. It turns out that coming up with interesting ideas is very easy.

Brandon then imagines how the overall plot can be treated by the 'box' or window of prose. He discusses the merits of different perspectives and literary devices with reference to several popular books.

The whole course isn't necessary, but it seems comprehensive. The most interesting parts relate to plot generation and an analysis of several literary conventions and tropes.
>>
File: 1493230225069.gif (16KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1493230225069.gif
16KB, 633x758px
>listening to LOTR audiobooks on commute
>"Helm's Deep" chapter is missing
>have to listen to talk radio for an hour

anyone have other good /sffg/ audiobook recommendations?
>>
>>9443213
thanls
>>
>>9443216
I'd love to see him turn it around and make all the author inset stuff go wrong, make the character into a completely useless twat who everyone fucks over. Reverse the trope, you know?
>>
>>9443377
That seems to be the consensus about what's going to happen among my friends. I agree.
>>
>>9443216
It sounds like Rothfuss is in thrall to the materialism, sensualism. and vanity that success has afforded him. A man with his education (was it ten years an undergrad?) and publisher support ought to be able to write a book. This isn't Finnegan's Wake, it's genre fiction. Maybe he should take Brandon Sanderson's online course, or unhook the computer, turn off the smartphone, and buy a typewriter.
>>
>>9443382
I hope that's true but I don't believe Rothfuss is that smart.
>>
File: 1452829239619.jpg (41KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
1452829239619.jpg
41KB, 350x263px
>>9443369
>audiobooks
>>
>>9443369

Dracula by oBram SToker

There was a good eoro viersion of othe adibokok to hitchiker guide to the lfaxla glaaxy
>>
File: 1420800514586.jpg (9KB, 222x216px) Image search: [Google]
1420800514586.jpg
9KB, 222x216px
>>9443514
>not making the most of your time at work
I hardly even put effort into my job anymore. I just listen to stories.
>>
File: 1446060466326.jpg (86KB, 599x590px) Image search: [Google]
1446060466326.jpg
86KB, 599x590px
>>9443554
>at work
>>
>>9443369
The Night Angel Trilogy and Lightbringer series in graphic audio is wonderful.
Also try Library at mount char audiobook.
>>
>>9443599
Like audiobooks but not a big fan of the graphic audio stuff. Sound effects and shit, dunno.
>>
>>9443625
You never listened to a movie on the radio as a kid?
It's just like that. Instead of descriptions saying that it's raining, you have actual rainfall. It's fun to turn your mind off and enjoy.
>>
>>9443660
>movie on the radio as a kid
How fucking old are you?
>>
File: Skullsworn-full.jpg (160KB, 800x1216px) Image search: [Google]
Skullsworn-full.jpg
160KB, 800x1216px
predictably was a total cop out.
>>
Can I get a quick rundown on the emperor's blades?
How much magic is there?
>>
>>9443817
Reasonable amount. They're called 'leeches' and draw their power from some source which varies from person to person. Usually something physical but one character feeds on fear.
>>
>>9443782
Of course it was, skullsworn were the worst part of that series. Why would I want a whole book about them.
>>
>>9443677
>>
What can we do to stop people entering SF with Dune? It's not even that good. How many more must be bored away from genre books by Frank Herbert and his leaden prose? Why do people still read Herbert anyway? >>9442471
>>
>>9442691
why the hell is darkness that comes before in gay rape
>>
>>9444115
Not until we can convince people to stop trying to get into fantasy by reading Tolkien. Not that Tolkien's prose is bad, but he's not all that relevant to the genre anymore and people should stop acting like he's some kind of gatekeeper to high fantasy.
>>
>>9442321
This is great
>>
>>9444115
>tfw repeatedly tell sister how boring Dune is, but she randomly picks up Children of Dune and tries to read it
>>
>>9444331
I'm not sure how you can claim that he's still not relevant anymore when all the mainline fantasy books of today can still draw their roots to him. that's not necessarily true with Dune because there are other authors like asimov, pkd, heinlein, etc
>>
>>9444358
>all the mainline fantasy books of today can still draw their roots to him
This hasn't been truce since at least the 80s.
>>
File: GRI APPROVED.png (61KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
GRI APPROVED.png
61KB, 800x600px
>>9444317
>he hasn't read bakker's books, but feels he is in authority to comment about them
>>
>>9444358
It's not going to stop until faggots such as yourself stop saying everything is tolkeinesque. Many MANY fantasy books use nothing of dwarves, elves and w/e Tolkien used.
And if you are going to suggest that Tolkien was the first person to ever use the hero's journey then you need to leave this thread and kys asap.
Your ignorance is polluting the nubile minds we have passing through on a regular basis.
>>
>>9444359
so taking away anything with orcs/elves/giant trees/dwarves (warhammer, dnd, etc), let's look at those that derive similar foundational world/myth building techniques that tolkien pioneered for fantasy:

sanderson
grrm
erikson
abercrombie
de lint
bakker
king

and it goes on
>>
>>9444358
The "roots" you're talking about are often so far removed so as to make it irrelevant. A good example is Malazan Book of the Fallen. Big series started in the late 90s, mainly inspired by D&D/GURPS and the Black Company novels (which were also not inspired by Tolkien), in fact Erikson never even read Tolkien before writing his books. Yet if you want to get super technical, D&D owes a lot of its original ideas to Tolkien (though it molded them into its own over many years of development and refining), so you could say there's a tenuous link between Erikson and Tolkien via D&D. A link that's basically only trivia because it has no real bearing at all on Erikson's writing.

And that's basically the state of the fantasy genre right now. You have a lot of authors like Erikson who were mainly inspired by the fantasy of the 80s and not Tolkien, or people now drawing lots of inspiration from other sources like games. Tolkien is at best only tangentially related to modern fantasy, and not in any way that's really relevant.
>>
>>9444380
those are just aesthetics. dumbasses like you associate tolkien with just elves and dwarves perpetuate this superficial bullshit that anything with elves and dwarves is autoshit.
>>
>>9444399
i think that actually shows my point. someone like erikson couldn't possibly exist without tolkien. creating such a vast and interconnected world with multitudinous storylines? that's tolkien.

and there's nothing wrong with that. people get offended too easily saying that fantasy needs to move away from tolkien because of dwarves/elves or whatever, and that's fine, but it's also necessary to reexamine the sort of cultural/memetic influence that tolkien had
>>
File: 1478726628563.jpg (88KB, 1024x914px) Image search: [Google]
1478726628563.jpg
88KB, 1024x914px
I just finished the Belgariad series.
I actually thought the Inheritance cycle was better, even though Paolini copied plot lines

Is The Mallorean series worth reading as a follow up?
Or any suggestions for epic-ish fiction novels along the lines of The Belgariad or Inheritance?
>>
>>9444409
Elves and orcs are critically important to Tolkien's setting, but Tolkien's elves also have very little to do with standard fantasy elves and orcs beyond extremely broad aesthetic similarities and recurring elements

With dwarves yes, they don't have any particular reason to exist both in and out of setting
>>
>>9444440
Fuck now I need to know. Does /lit/ have GETs?
>>9444444
>>
>>9444440
they're important to his setting, but the existence of elves/dwarves are not important to the writing process.

tolkien basically sat down and was like "homer? arthur? norse mythos? i'm going to make my own"

and then doing it from scratch in a biblical manner. elves/dwarves are just superficial in the sense that he himself was influenced germanic/norse mythologies and brought them in. the fact that dnd/warhammer immediately started deriving that from tolkien is a short term influence that, i agree, is inconsequential in the longrun
>>
>>9444365
i've read all of them, and i can assure you that it's about far more than gay rape

it's kind of shitty that people shove him down with those books (and pretty much every book in that image), because he's leagues above them
>>
>>9444477
No body said gri was bad. Gri is something to cherish and hold dear. Also it's not "gay rape" it's "gay, and rape, and incest". The three are usually separate, but sometimes they do combine. But when we say their is gri in bakker we mean all 3 can be found separate... Not kellhus teaching the absolute to his most devoted follower.

I wonder who got >>9444444
>>
>>9444409
>that anything with elves and dwarves is autoshit.
But they are autoshit.
>>
>>9444399
Yeah but that 80's fantasy wouldn't exist without Tolkien. Ditto with video games. Or without Tolkien, they would be much different.
>>
When does it get good?
>>
>>9444461
But tabletop's being influenced by Tolkien isn't inconsequential, because those things went on to have influence of their own, and they wouldn't exist as they did/do without him.
>>
>>9444642
>>9444637
We owe the lightbulb to Benjamin Franklin, that isn't to say that LEDs are Franklinesque.
We don't owe shit to Tolkien, someone else would have come along and made fantasy a thing. For centuries we sat around fires telling stories, you think that would have changed because of technology? If anything modern fantasy is Grimm Brothersesque.
>>
>>9444664
well if you're going to be that reductionist, then we might as well say that all fantasy has roots in the bible

but that's pointless. there is a direct lineage from tolkien to modern mainstream fantasy in the force of worldbuilding. i don't know if that makes modern fantasy tolkienesque, or makes him the father or fantasy, but i think it's a retarded claim to say that he's irrelevant
>>
>>9444684
Bible is just a gilgamesh ripoff
>>
>>9444684
He is irrelevant as far as modern fantasy is concerned. We are nof borrowing from Tolkien, we evolved away from him.

If the bible is to be believed, we are children of incest. First with Adam and Eve, second with Noah and his ark harem. Does that mean since my roots are in incest I should fuck my mom and sister until they are bred?
We acknowledge that Tolkien did a lot for the fantasy "movement", but continuing the belief that every piece of fantasy today still draws from Tolkien is absurd and disrespectful to people that tried their hardest to create their own world.

If I'm to go out on a limb, I will say you are a nostalgic faggot who is butthurt that your most favorite author "evah" is slowly fading away from the acknowledgement pages. You are disgruntled that people here hardly speak of that snorefest. I'm 90% certain that you are the same faggot who said he was going to reread LoTR a few threads back, and probably cried when no one responded. They didn't even care enough to tell you fuck off. You sad fuck.
>>
File: pkd.jpg (33KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
pkd.jpg
33KB, 256x256px
>He tried to remember what other appliances he had owned, but already memory had become vague; he gave up and returned to the living room. The TV set had receded back a long way; he found himself confronted by a dark, wood-cabinet, Atwater-Kent tuned radio-frequency oldtime AM radio, complete with antenna and ground wires. God in heaven, he said to himself, appalled. But why hadn't the TV set reverted instead to formless metals and plastics? Those, after all, were its constituents; it had been constructed out of them, not out of an earlier radio. Perhaps this weirdly verified a discarded ancient philosophy, that of Plato's ideal objects, the universals which, in each class, were real. The form TV set had been a template imposed as a successor to other templates, like the procession of frames in a movie sequence. Prior forms, he reflected, must carry on an invisible, residual life in every object. The past is latent, is submerged, but still there, capable of rising to the surface once the later imprinting unfortunately - and against ordinary experience - vanished. The man contains - not the boy - but earlier men, he thought.
>>
>>9444908
you have yet to present any arguments to the contrary besides literally saying the same things over and over again

yes, modern fantasy has evolved since tolkien, but i don't see how that diminishes his relevancy because the foundation for that evolution is still present. people are still world-building in the same way, with creation myths, political histories/cultural histories, and legendary tales. they're still writing hero analogues. they're still confronting apocalyptic events. they're still interweaving these stories with either esoteric or mechanical systems of magic. there's still doing globe-trotting adventures. some are still even pseudo building their own languages.

but you'll keep repeating your retarded "HE'S IRRELEVANT" autism because you literally only see tolkien as the dwarves and elves bitch

and i've read lotr twice, and frankly don't give that much of a shit about it. i thought it was fairly good; a slightly above-pleb book, but i don't orgasm over it. i don't give a shit that people don't talk about tolkien in these threads because he's been talked to death. not only have there still been movies and video games coming out based on lotr, there are literal academic scholars revolved around him.

i mean i get it, you don't like lotr. great, no one cares. doesn't mean that you need to go around trying to reject reality to justify that dislike
>>
>>9444908
>>9444952
Both of you get a room.
>>
>>9444610
Gri, yes, but you're also forgetting about the rampant pedophilia
>>
>>9444952
>dude tolkien invented worldbuilding lmao
Setting aside that idiocy, that's not what people mean when they talk about being derivative of Tolkien and you know it. Stop being so fucking pedantic.
>>
its almost 1am and I'm desperately looking for a new sci-fi (or fantasy) audiobook narrated in the first-person.

most recently I finished the first two Takeshi Kovacs books which were GREAT but they switched narrators and I'll end up just reading the third. Also listened to the Three Body Problem trilogy and Armor by John Steakely this year...tried Prince of Thorns but wasn't strong enough to keep my interest.
>>
>>9442627
https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1293&t=1785803&hilit=Laird+Barron+swift
>>
>>9445400
I thought the guy who did the Red Queen's War trilogy was great. Sean Olhendorf is his name as there is an alternative production for some reason.
>>
File: 51Wmu+fNGiL.jpg (52KB, 330x500px) Image search: [Google]
51Wmu+fNGiL.jpg
52KB, 330x500px
5th may. Something of a glut.
>>
>>9445538
Thank you friend-o
>>
File: BotNS.png (184KB, 220x318px) Image search: [Google]
BotNS.png
184KB, 220x318px
Can someone explain to me what was going on in the ending of CotC? People are dancing, Dorcas is screaming and it just ends.
>>
>>9446215
I didn't even understand the first book.
>>
>>9445399
He didn't invent worldbuilding, but he he created a specific type of world building that set an example for modern fantasy, you dumbass. Look up any academia about Tolkien and his worldbuilding and you'll find countless articles.

And the conversation is about his relevance, not derivatives fucktard
>>
>>9446232
I had no idea what the fuck was going on during that leaf throwing shit.
>>
>>9446215
It is partly explained in the following books, and makes much more sense on a re-read.
It's just like Severian says:
>"I think we are seeing ourselves from a perspective longer than a single instant's."
>A man came forth to greet dancers... for his was a face I had known since childhood, the face of the funeral bronze in the mausoleum where I played as a boy.

Time travel

>>9446276
Severian got hit and died. The claw revived him. The avern started growing for the same reason. (Why the avern starts growing is explained in CotA iirc.) Like all the people that get revived in the series, Severian doesn't really understand what is going on around him for some time.
>>
File: feels.jpg (317KB, 1226x797px) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
317KB, 1226x797px
>been almost 15 years since I first read LotR
>just finished reading The First Law trilogy, decided to take a trip down memory lane before digging in to Malazan
>pick up Fellowship of the Ring
>really slow pace, clunky dialogue, exaggerated reactions, nothing like I remembered
>abandon Gandalf and Frodo while still in the Shire, while I contemplate existence

Am I a bad person, /sffg/?
>>
>>9446688
Well, you found out that it's not a timeless book and won't grow with you.
>>
re-shilling this

Cixin is amazing
he captures all the innonce and wide-eyed wonder of the early and proto scifi, but beefs it up with modern tech and principles, before somehow grounding it in reality

really phenomenal stuff
>>
File: wandering-earth.jpg (118KB, 632x1000px) Image search: [Google]
wandering-earth.jpg
118KB, 632x1000px
>>9446973
who's retarded?
me
>>
>>9446973
It sounds good. Could I start with that or the three body problem?
>>
>>9447405
They're pretty different, depends what you like. Objectively I'd say the Three Body trilogy, but remember the first book isn't translated amazingly and the main char is arse. Second two books are mad though
>>
I am looking for a book recommendation.

I am really interested in a naval theme. Preferably revolving around a trading vessel or something similar.

Related inspirational music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDXNSWJLuo
>>
>>9447513
Robin Hobb Liveship Traders
Bingtown was probably her most interesting setting.
>>
>>9446232
>mfw I will never be smart enough to read Wolfe.
feelsbadman
back to Gemmell
>>
>>9446688
>be me
>only watched the movies
>figured I should read the books, starting with the Hobbitt
>feels like reading ancient English
>that wtf moment when Thorin dies and just yells "Goodbye!" or something to Bilbo
>only understood like half of the conversations in all four books
Still cried at the end.
>>
File: NpHJryW.jpg (82KB, 800x566px) Image search: [Google]
NpHJryW.jpg
82KB, 800x566px
Any good books about SPESS MARINES besides Starship Troopers, Steel World and the ocassional Warhammer novelization?
>>
>>9447602
Old Man's War was a good clone. Ignore sequels.
>>
>>9447602
Forever War
>>
File: horror list.jpg (405KB, 1640x1710px) Image search: [Google]
horror list.jpg
405KB, 1640x1710px
>>9442971
I have found this weeks ago, when there was a try of a horror general on /lit/
>>
File: horror list 2.jpg (342KB, 1378x1438px) Image search: [Google]
horror list 2.jpg
342KB, 1378x1438px
>>9442971
>>9448102
>>
>When you realize Blindsight is actually about Peter Watts' sublimated communistic instinct

"Rhizomatic collectivist species with no false consciousness (cause they aren't conscious lol) defeats apex predator mammals and their arboreal conceptions of self"
>>
How do I write something that will be remembered long after I'm dead?
>>
>>9448267
Make it your manifesto for your political movement that takes control of a government and starts a major war.
>>
I want to write a "Heideggerian Nazi" fantasy novel and see if anyone realizes what it's actually about.

Like The Iron Dream but far subtler.
>>
>finally find a book that looks readable
>buy it for 20 bucks despite the fact that I need to save money because I rarely see anything readable anymore
>come home and go to /lit/
>people are all agreeing it's shit

why?
>>
>>9448367
>buying books
>not stealing physical and "stealing" digital ones
>>
>>9448267
Commit a really big public crime and leave your manuscript where they can find it after they start investigating your life. Somebody will publish it.
>>
>>9448415
where the fuck do you even pirate boos, Especially recent ones?
>>
>>9448453
bookzz.org nigger it's in the sticky
>>
>>9448138
Communism is as obsessed with the self as any other ideology. Watt's argues that something much more raw and inhuman, the almost lobotomised absence of any idea of self existence, is more efficient than our mode of thought.

It's the fucking keystone of the book and you're somehow trying to force whatever politician opinions you have into it:
>consciousness is wasteful: unconsciousness intelligence is possible and it's more efficient: we die vs it

Feel free to reply and get wordy with me but from my perspective you're just being difficult with an incredibly unpolitical book. Otherwise you misunderstand the definition of communism.
>>
>>9448459
>doesn't even have new releases

pathetic
>>
>>9448367
Which book?
>>
>>9448783
skullsworn. I haven't read the rest of the series. it just seemed sufficient enough for my shit taste
>>
question: is Lions of Al Rasan actually fantasy or is it just historical fiction set in a fake world?
>>
>>9448800
I didn't hate it, main gripe objecting to how the premise was wrapped up. Par for the course 2bh.
>>
File: 1385093608395.jpg (57KB, 307x497px) Image search: [Google]
1385093608395.jpg
57KB, 307x497px
>>9448367
>/lit/ won't shut the fuck up about Bakker's work
>buy the Prince of Nothing trilogy for under $15 off of Barnes and Noble's "used" section
>turns out to be incredible
You just didn't put thought into your purchase.
>>
Who /nevereverrereads/?

Seriously, I just can't be bothered when there are so many books to devour.
>>
Can you guys help me find a epub or azw3 of this book.

I've been searching for this for two weeks and so far no luck.

I did found an audiobook on piratebay, but I no concentration to listen to audiobooks
>>
>>9448864
Almost everything /lit/ has suggested to me has been so garbage I put it down before finishing the first chapter. I've finished exactly two things i've heard mentioned here and /sffg/: Latro in the Mist and The Windup Girl. Latro sucked sweaty greek ass
>>
File: cosmere_constellation_map.jpg (1MB, 2300x1737px) Image search: [Google]
cosmere_constellation_map.jpg
1MB, 2300x1737px
>>9442315
What are some good books that feature megastructures?

I am submitting Troika and Pushing Ice, both by Alastair Reynolds, in the hopes that some of you nerds respond. I know about Rama, figure that's the obvious one.
>>
>>9448886

uploadfiles.io

/uadtq
>>
>>9448908
>>
>>9448920
thank you very much, anon :D I appreciate it;

I've been looking everywhere for this
>>
File: Deaths-End.jpg?fit=1020%2C1534.jpg (327KB, 1020x1534px) Image search: [Google]
Deaths-End.jpg?fit=1020%2C1534.jpg
327KB, 1020x1534px
huh
I thought it'd end with all that depressing shit going on
>>
>>9442315
Just finished reading all of The Black Company, The Prince of Nothing and The First Law series can someone give me some recommendations like those 3 series?
>>
>>9448908
Tsutomu Nihei's Blame. Basic premise is that in the far future humanity eventually lost control of it's automated construction machines and now there's a vast megastructure encompassing the solar system out to the orbit of Saturn. The protagonist is on a journey to find somebody with Net Terminal Genes who can access the megastructure network and shut the machines down.
>>
How do I give up the desire to be a writer? I don't have the discipline, I'm out of passion and ideas and the desire is only causing me suffering
>>
>>9449252

Broken Empire series by Mark Lawrence
>>
>>9449330

Have tried heroin??
>>
>>9449330

do negative affirmations. every morning and night look in a mirror, into your own eyes, and for 3 minutes, and with all the emotion and intensity you can muster tell yourself "you'll never amount to shit. Give Up."
>>
File: thesteelremains.jpg (17KB, 220x338px) Image search: [Google]
thesteelremains.jpg
17KB, 220x338px
>>9449331
this and this
>>
>>9449252
might as well join the Malazan fraternity
>>
>>9449252

The followup series to PoN
>>
>>9449331

I can't hold all this edge
>>
When does The Wasp Factory get good? So far I'm 2 chapters in and it's just edgy shit
>>
>>9449744

I'm surprised that was published in the 80s. I assumed it would be the Millenial bible as stupid and fucked as it is
>>
>>9448868
Me.
>>
I haven't read the malazan series, is it worth it? Any particular order I should read the novellas?
>>
>>9450039
Yes.
>>
>>9450046
Yes to both?
What is the order to read the books in?
>>
File: Malazan read order.jpg (1MB, 2552x1528px) Image search: [Google]
Malazan read order.jpg
1MB, 2552x1528px
>>9450096
Publish order.
>>
>>9450098
Thanks.
Any other books in the genre that can compare?
>>
File: 289190-cosmos.jpg (151KB, 1024x561px) Image search: [Google]
289190-cosmos.jpg
151KB, 1024x561px
Any recs that inspire cosmic wonder?
>>
>>9450109

Sanderson
>>
>>9450124
His prose is at a 12-year-old's level.
Not that Malazan is a masterpiece of prose either but it's at least competent.

>>9450113
Start with Griffith's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics
>>
>>9450113
Tau Zero
>>
>>9450130
His dialogue is worse.
>>
File: Sanderson.jpg (79KB, 853x543px) Image search: [Google]
Sanderson.jpg
79KB, 853x543px
>>9450366
Don't remind me.
I've only read the mistborn trilogy and I finished it thinking it was one of Sanderson's earliest novels and that he would get better in the prose and dialogue department as the books went on since he is higly regarded in the larger fantasy community but it turned out he doesn't improve.
I can't understand what all his fans see in his novels.
>>
>>9450378
Big magical sword fights reminiscent of anime. The final battle in WoR isn't compared to Bleach for nothing.
>>
>>9450378
It's the connection.
In all his books he's writting 2 stories at once. The stories that are happening in the world the book is set in is one. The second is the implications on the cosmere as a whole.

He's popular becasue he has created a series that encourages speculation.
>>
>>9450386
He also writes on a consistent schedule and interacts with his fans a lot.
>>
>>9450383
Nothing wrong with big magical fights in fantasy novels.
I loved the one in Gardens of the Moon between the Jaghut tyrant and the black Dragons.
Don't spoil me on any other fun Malazan magic fights, I'm only just finishing up the third book.
>>
File: 1489135808279.jpg (28KB, 408x439px) Image search: [Google]
1489135808279.jpg
28KB, 408x439px
Is Malazan Book of the Fallen good or nah?
Someone redpill me

I don't want to read the first one, realize it's shit and then force myself through the rest of the series because I want to see it through
>>
>>9450663
The first book is self-contained enough that if you don't like it, you won't feel the need to finish the whole series.
>>
>>9450663
>red pill me
You sound like a tool.

It's the most 'epic' fantasy out there.
Tremendous scale, lots of characters, very big world.
Also a lot of people like the dialogue between the characters.

Most consider the first book to be significantly worse than the rest of the series.*
It also throws you right in the story, no introductions.

Do you like fantasy on a grand scale with a lot of world building?
You should give it a chance.

If you don't care about muh epic fights between armies and muh world building you should probably look for something else.
You may still like it either way but the epic/grand scale and world building are the main selling points.

Also if you start reading it and post on here that it reads like a D&D campaign you're going to get meme arrowed.
Yes, it's inspired by his D&D campaigns, it sometimes more than implicitly shows when OP characters suddenly get killed off.

*I like GotM more than DG though, but I am a minority.
>>
Would Iron Dragon's Daughter make a good anime?
>>
>>9450728
Does it have girls in it that can be easily turned into cute anime grills?
>>
>>9450735
How about the iron dragon?
>>
I just started reading the first book in Broken Empire series(Prince of Thorns) because of /lit/ and I have read just under half it. Its certainly not ground breaking but I'm finding it to be a breath of fresh air. I'm really digging the anti-hero. Some of the world building is trite but tolerable. Entertaining to me none-the-less so far. Thanks /lit/ -/sffg/!!
>>
>>9450759
The world building is something that's quite well developed over time imo, including the 2nd trilogy.
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 240x240px
>>9450735
The Broken Earth anime never. I want nip fanart, an OST, AMVs, doujins and cute animation. There's lots of cute and fucked up situations on what is quickly becoming a planet full of magic lolis and shotas with no rights.

What we have:
>cute headpatting
>cute handholding
>breaking hands
>suffering
>>
File: ARHGG.jpg (401KB, 750x844px) Image search: [Google]
ARHGG.jpg
401KB, 750x844px
Anyone else feel that the future predicted in Hyperion was oddly realistic? I'm about to start Fall Of and I know stuff gets crazier, but even by modern standards the vision is believable.
>>
>>9450810
Somewhat. Surprising how the 'cyberpunk' story doesn't even feel especially dated.
>>
>>9450735
It has Jane.

Oh god.
>>
File: 1491824610833.jpg (17KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
1491824610833.jpg
17KB, 475x475px
>>9450810
>Anyone else feel that the future predicted in Hyperion was oddly realistic?
The only realistic future is a mass extinction event in the next 100-200 years by global warming and/or nuclear weapons.
>>
>>9450922

That won't happen. We are going to start running out of the metals/minerals needed to support our current level of civilization in the next 60 years and at that point we'll have a huge schism in society with two major classes...one small class that has the money and power to retain the resources to utilize technology on a small scale and then a much larger class that falls back on an agrarian model. Large die offs will occur of billions of people to starvation and disease. The smaller techno-class will in breed and eventually turn on its self and collapse within several generations. We'll roll back to being basically Amish and eventually back into the dark ages for several hundred years with global population sinking to less than a couple hundred million. then the cycle of rebuilding civilization will begin again and some knowledge will be recovered , some re-discovered and finally completely new technology based off what resources are still available. Even in the worse case scenario, life will still exist on earth it just might not be human life.
>>
File: 1ljiwnt.jpg (379KB, 1280x1618px) Image search: [Google]
1ljiwnt.jpg
379KB, 1280x1618px
>>9442315
>>9447581
Is this the right order to start with David Gemmell's Drenai Saga, starting with Knights of Dark Renown?

>David Gemmell Chronological Order
http://gemmellaward.com/page/david-gemmell-chronological-order
>>
>>9450999
>We are going to start running out of the metals/minerals needed to support our current level of civilization
When the price of acquiring resources on Earth will become higher than the price of mining them in space, asteroid/moon exploitation will flourish.
>>
Books like the RPG Eclipse Phase ie trans/posthuman scifi horror?
>>
>>9450999
bit malthusian. Have faith in the market.
>>
>>9451177
Gemmel is terrible. One of the most superficial fantasy writers I have ever read. I wouldn't bother starting it if I were you.
>>
So I read Stephenson's Seveneves. Really like the premise (apocalyptic race to space for survival), but Stephenson can't into storytelling (expected as much, read/enjoyed much of his earlier stuff). All that name dropping is going to seriously date this book in a few decades. The first part was interesting, but too hip for me. Second part was too short. He should have ended book 1 at the time skip and written a sequel. Overall I'd like to give it a 3.5, but I'm actually going with 3/5 evil space hillarys.

Back to old books. Maybe Anathem sometime if the library has it.
>>
>>9451381
I just found it to be almost painfully American
>>
File: starchart_taldain_color.jpg (374KB, 1588x2500px) Image search: [Google]
starchart_taldain_color.jpg
374KB, 1588x2500px
>>9448941
I will look into it.

>>9449320
I asked for books, not mango. I have already read BLAME! anyhow.
>>
Official Malazan book rating order (main series):

1. Memories of Ice
2. Midnight Tides
3. Toll the Hounds
4. The Crippled God
5. The Bonehunters
6. Reaper's Gale
7. Deadhouse Gates
8. House of Chains
9. Dust of Dreams
10. Gardens of the Moon

Official spinoff novel power rankings:

1. Fall of Light
2. Forge of Darkness
3. Dancer's Lament
4. Assail
5. Orb, Scepter, Throne
6. Return of the Crimson Guard
7. Blood and Bone
8. Stonewielder
9. Night of Knives

Official novella comparison chart:

1. Crack’d Pot Trail
2. The Lees of Laughter's End
3. The Fiends of Nightmaria
4. The Wurms of Blearmouth
5. The Healthy Dead
6. Blood Follows
>>
File: 5.jpg (55KB, 430x645px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
55KB, 430x645px
What is the /sffg/ equal to half-life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLSR07KcRCM
>>
File: The_Last_Deathship_Off_Antares.jpg (56KB, 304x499px) Image search: [Google]
The_Last_Deathship_Off_Antares.jpg
56KB, 304x499px
>>9451449
I'm going to pretend you didn't just ask that and recommend pic related.
>>
>>9450999
Nah, there won't be a regression toward "Amish" society. Recycling techniques will become better and stuff will be manufactured with increased effectiveness, with increased renewable energy fueling it all. All these computers and smartphones are here to stay, people won't just throw them away to go live on a farm and read books.
>>
>>9451541

It won't be a choice.
>>
>>9451587
It won't come to a choice, ppl won't buy two phones a year anymore b/c the quality and longevity of tech will plateau to when releasing a new model won't significantly improve on the last one and consumption will drop, reducing demand on raw materials, while already extracted materials will remain in circulation more effectively. Advances in biofuels and renewable energy will replace natural energy resources by the time they run out.
>>9450999
>The smaller techno-class will in breed and eventually turn on its self and collapse within several generations.
This is just ridiculous.
>>
>>9451617

You are wrong.
>>
>>9451729
And you are incredibly naĂŻve.
>>
>>9451729
no u
>>
>>9450694
Is this a shitpost?
>>
>>9450999
>>9450810
I think the most realistic vision of the future is the one from Death's End, where everything's got a screen and is powered remotely
>>
>>9451541
I expect that the low GDP growth that'll result from a slowed-down economy more focused on durability of things due to a relative scarcity of energy will lead to some neo-Victorian model of society where good manners to your natural superiors will count just as much as technical skill in career advancement. And that'll be good, since I prefer a transhumanism grounded in good taste and restraint rather than some consummeristic hedonistic monstrosity.
>>
Is it worth reading all four books of the Hyperion Canto or should I stick to the first two?
>>
>>9451777
it's a fair enough assessment.
>>
>>9451890
first two.

The 2nd half didn't start too bad but dropped the 4th half way through and I almost never abandon a book. Just don't do it.
>>
>>9451899
Thanks, anon. Without spoiling the first two what's so bad about the last two? Do they add anything meaningful to the story?
>>
>>9451907
At some point the main characters devolve into shit puppets for Simmons to endlessly drone through about his philosophical system with which he's obviously quite taken with. It's ok in small doses but ends up taking almost completely over.

It does continue the story and does develop the universe but there's also some major retconning that I had a hard time coming to terms with.
>>
>>9451939
Not him but what retconning? I know I won't read it. slap a spoiler on it senpai
>>
>>9451439
What makes it official?
>>
>>9452142
it says "official" right in the post, at the very top

are you blind?
>>
>>9451829
>neo-Victorian model of society where good manners to your natural superiors will count just as much as technical skill in career advancement
I hope this happens, The Diamond Age was dope.
>>
>>9452119
kassad is the shrike
>>
>>9452119
also there being three distinct AI factions is tossed aside as having been made up
>>
>>9452278
Neither of those really sound incredibly untoward to me. Does Danny Sim not explain it well enough?
>>
I read the first Silo series book, "Wool," a few years ago and was wondering if the other books were worth picking up.
>>
>>9452348
Ok lol that was not the image i meant
>>
>>9451281
Lol why
>>
File: 1491435013003-int.jpg (219KB, 928x592px) Image search: [Google]
1491435013003-int.jpg
219KB, 928x592px
Can anyone recommend a fantasy book with a cute pre-teen boy protagonist?
>>
>>9452348
felt like he pulled both out of his ass and he blames a lot on Silenus being an unreliable narrator within the text itself
>>
>>9452383
Eragon, now gtfo
>>
File: 5688-958179350.jpg (64KB, 611x695px) Image search: [Google]
5688-958179350.jpg
64KB, 611x695px
>>9452411

Paolini is trash

Eragon is not a cute
>>
File: 47521.jpg (39KB, 318x472px) Image search: [Google]
47521.jpg
39KB, 318x472px
>>9452383
>yfw
>>
>>9452432
Its a book, imagine him however you want.
Also you post anime pics and want cute preteen boys in your literature. I hate you.
>>
>>9450922
There's also if another Spanish influenza or bubonic plague hit - a virulent disease in the age of consumer flight and increasingly resistant anti-biotics + hospital superbugs.
>>
>>9452446
Make sure you get to Madagascar before they close the ports
>>
>>9452433

Interesting, thanks. I'm not usually into urban fantasy but I'll give it a look.

>>9452442

>I hate you

That's OK, because I still love you anon.
>>
>>9452454
Jokes on you, it started in madagascar.

Jk i liked the reference tho, got a kek
>>
>>9452459
Fuck you! Return my hatred!
>>
File: Dragons_Blood.jpg (787KB, 1165x1700px) Image search: [Google]
Dragons_Blood.jpg
787KB, 1165x1700px
>>9452459
Well, how flexible is your age range? I think it's 15 here, but it looks like your pic. Good book too.
>>
File: 1493486411001-int.jpg (313KB, 1024x1234px) Image search: [Google]
1493486411001-int.jpg
313KB, 1024x1234px
>>9452470

love you anon
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDj8kkVwisY
>>
>>9448908
Ringworld by Larry Niven maybe?
>>
File: 1491614923001-int.jpg (777KB, 700x1007px) Image search: [Google]
1491614923001-int.jpg
777KB, 700x1007px
>>9452481

This looks promising, thanks anon. I'm looking for protagonists or main characters aged 11-16.
>>
>>9448908
Im writing one, it features a space vessel the size of plutos moon charon that orbits earth
>>
>>9452481
>when you're about to fuck your karate partner but her ex-bf shows up and is a fucking dragon
>>
>>9451439
>>9451439

But the first Malazan book i the best and it only goes downhill from there
>>
>>9452454
I think George Stewart's Earth Abides is the only SF treatment of a deadly virus I've read - most of the post-apoc books are from nuclear war. And EA doesn't cover any events during the outbreak, just the reconstruction by one man. So it looks like a gap in my collection. I suppose Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain is the most famous virus book but is it any good?
>>
>>9452481
What's in those bags around their necks? Coke?
Or pulverized dragon eggs? Is that why the dragon is so mad?
>>
File: 636118896058445033-2084803803_ep.jpg (600KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
636118896058445033-2084803803_ep.jpg
600KB, 2000x1000px
>>9452515
I remember enjoying AS but all I really remember is pic related
>>
>>9452481
that dragon seems kind of chill honestly

can't pinpoint why exactly i feel that way but i know that i do and nothing else
>>
File: half-baked-1.jpg (965KB, 1846x1040px) Image search: [Google]
half-baked-1.jpg
965KB, 1846x1040px
>>9452520
Jerry Garcia, of course
>>
>>9452520
Slave money. Full bag buys your freedom.
>>9452530
The dragon is very chill.
>>
File: Nigga Dog.jpg (27KB, 265x285px) Image search: [Google]
Nigga Dog.jpg
27KB, 265x285px
>>9452515
>I suppose Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain is the most famous virus book
>not Steven King's The Stand
>>
File: illo_sixth_of_the_dusk.gif (612KB, 1590x2500px) Image search: [Google]
illo_sixth_of_the_dusk.gif
612KB, 1590x2500px
>>9452515
It's not biological but Revelation Space has the Melting Plague. Granted, the entire story does not revolve around it but it is a significant aspect of the background setting in its influence upon all advanced technology.
>>
>>9452525
>>9452537
I don't know why I forgot Stephen King because I have read his Dark Tower books (and even random shit like his Insomnia.) I may well pick up both Crichton's Andromeda Strain and King's The Stand just because after reading some out there New Wave SF I feel like something schlocky or an airport book.
>>
>>9452349
bumping for attention
>>
>>9452562
it's a neat medical mystery that's a bit dated in regard to technology, but definitely an interesting weekend read
>>
>>9452515
Windup Girl but it's crops being BTFO
>>
File: Hearts_Blood.jpg (30KB, 278x446px) Image search: [Google]
Hearts_Blood.jpg
30KB, 278x446px
>>9452507
We all know where this is going.
>>
>>9451439
Can't be done. Can only say that MT was hard to get through and GOTM could've been rewritten a year before DH to bring it up to date with the series, but the books can't really be ranked like that imho.
>>
>>9452481
is that michael jackson chilling in the background?
>>
>>9452642
>when you're about to share a bed with your good buddy Michael Jackson but his ex-gf shows up and is a fucking dragon
>>
File: IMG_0131.jpg (86KB, 640x380px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0131.jpg
86KB, 640x380px
>>9450922
3D biological printers, open-source dark-web viral genomes, and a deep hatred of humanity is all the apocalypse will take.

We've got the last one already, the middle one feasible to the point of possibility, and the first turning up in our lifetimes.

Enjoy it while you can folks.
>>
File: 220px-Ringworld(1stEd).jpg (26KB, 220x356px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Ringworld(1stEd).jpg
26KB, 220x356px
I finished Ringworld just a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed some of the themes behind it but found the story quite lacking.

Has anyone read the sequels? Are they worth investing time into?
>>
File: 1476371641509.jpg (351KB, 850x1150px) Image search: [Google]
1476371641509.jpg
351KB, 850x1150px
What is some fantasy about or featuring prominently cute little girls?
Or sci-fi?
>>
>>9452717
>Has anyone read the sequels?
Yes.
>Are they worth investing time into?
Do you like to Yiff?
>>
>>9452731
Second Foundation is scifi but third in an until-then little girl-less trilogy
>>
>>9452731
What are you doing here?

Why wouldn't you just watch your anime or read your cartoons?
>>
>>9452740
It always fucked with my head that Second Foundation was the third book.
>>
File: 1484418122850.png (990KB, 961x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1484418122850.png
990KB, 961x1400px
>>9452740
As in Asimov's Foundation? I've been meaning to read it for a while, I've read most of his short stories anyways. I'll get to it, thanks.
>>9452743
What, I can't do both? I just want something a bit meatier here. A good story with a cute loli.
I also think it could introduce some interesting dynamics. Also I like lolis and books.
>>
>>9452773
>I've read most of his short stories anyways
I felt like that at one point too, but then I found like three volumes of stuff I'd never read just sitting in my library's scifi section. And that was before I found out about the Azazel and Black Widowers stories. Nowadays I've sort of given up on finding them all; dude just wrote too many short stories. I think he might still be writing them.
>>
>>9452773
you want LNs, friendo
http://www.novelupdates.com/stag/loli/

now, fuck off
>>
>>9452803
Hmmm... He was prolific. Its always impressive to me how he wrote so much but everything I've read is still good. How could he hit the mark so often like that?
>Azazel and Black Widowers stories
Those sound interesting and I don't believe I've read them. I'll check 'em out.
>I think he might still be writing them.
Gave me a chuckle. Wouldn't be surprised.
>>9452805
Sorry to say, but LN's are not very good literature. They don't scratch my itch. I'll check some out, but that's not really what I'm looking for. Thanks anyways.
>now, fuck off
no u
>>
>>9452831
Asimov had the very unusual quality of being a professional writer who genuinely enjoyed the process of writing. He didn't just like thinking up stories or seeing how other people reacted to them; he actually enjoyed the physical process of sitting at a typewriter and banging out words for eight hours straight. That's the main reason he was able to churn out 500 books in his lifetime.

Also on the subject of Asimov, the deuteragonist of Nemesis is a fifteen-year-old girl, if that's not stretching the definition of "cute little girl" for you.
>>
>>9452860
That's because Asimov writes like a fucking Wikipedia page. Nothing wrong with that, allowed him to power out so much and fill it full of ideas. But his work is true science fiction, and doesn't flirt with the concept of literature
>>
Time was I'd just go ahead and write this but now I don't trust myself enough to write anything without double-checking first

>a wandering ghost hunter returns to his home town for one last job years after an entirely mundane brush fire burnt it and its inhabitants down to cinders
>despite having long espoused the belief that the dead must make way for the living he feels conflicted seeing a new town being built atop the ashes of the old
>he finds himself frustrated with a spoiled children who have no respect for his past, a garbage dump built where his home once stood, and a condescending local exorcist butting into his ghost hunt who keeps telling him his work here is over and it's time to move on
>>
File: 9780445204546-us-300.jpg (35KB, 300x481px) Image search: [Google]
9780445204546-us-300.jpg
35KB, 300x481px
>>9452773
Read Cyteen you pervert.
>>
Any good books with a little girl protag?
>>
>>9452969
git rekt ^:)
>>9452935
>>
>>9452860
Guess its good for me anyways, since I enjoy his stuff.
>the deuteragonist of Nemesis is a fifteen-year-old girl, if that's not stretching the definition of "cute little girl" for you.
Y'know, at this point I'll take what I can get. Thanks for your help.
>>9452935
>pervert
I resent that, just a little bit. But I'll check it out.
>>9452969
Read the posts above you nerd, I already asked. Lots of sci-fi.
Although no one seems to know any fantasy with little girls in prominent roles. That'd be good too.
>>
>>9452977
>I resent that, just a little bit. But I'll check it out.
Whassa problem mate?
You did start by posting lolipantsu ^:)
>>
File: 1484601550132.png (139KB, 383x280px) Image search: [Google]
1484601550132.png
139KB, 383x280px
>>9451890
Read all four books, the third and fourth books have De Soya who is a fantastic character.

>>9451939
>to endlessly drone through about his philosophical system
Not really, Raul and loli jesus Aenea are boring and all the characters are twisted to accomodate for them. And fucking Raul walking out of the cage at the end is hype killing
>>
File: 29217027.jpg (27KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
29217027.jpg
27KB, 313x475px
>releasing on October 31st, 2017

IT'S BEEN OVER A YEAR ALREADY BROWN YOU HACK

JUST GET SANDERSON TO HELP YOU WRITE IT I WANT IT NOW
>>
I wrote a little bit, which is something. I read a bit of American Gods and didn't get bored of it. That's also something

Today was okay
>>
>>9442315
I just read some comics on /co/ about a council of reeds and I found the idea amazing, any good lit books that deal with the same concept?
>>
File: lrf0Vr7U_1410151514401.jpg (832KB, 953x1250px) Image search: [Google]
lrf0Vr7U_1410151514401.jpg
832KB, 953x1250px
I'm almost finished with BoTNS and it might be one of the best books I've ever read. However, I've noticed before I started reading that people claimed Severian was an unreliable narrator, or would cover up truths to suit some hidden motive. I have not encountered anything of the like in my reading, maybe somebody could elucidate what I'm to look for in a second reading or maybe give me an example from the first 80% of the book that I can look back on?
>>
Does the Wizard of Oz series hold up as a classic, or is it just an outdated childrens novel that maintains relevance only because of the technicolor adaptation and dubious economic criticism?
>>
File: julian_by_nkarlie-d60e5mi.jpg (128KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
julian_by_nkarlie-d60e5mi.jpg
128KB, 600x750px
*blocks ur path through shadow*

what do /sffg/?
>>
This is just a post to mention that I've been doing a fairly close reading of Clarke's Odyssey novels and that I've noticed his recycling of his own prose and ideas across the books. This is tedious at times, but more often it is a quite valid literary device to put the reader back in the right frame of mind, to remember oh yeah, that one thing. Like recall of a joke in a comedy set, simple repetition in different context.

I am reading the novels all in one go, so I think I can better appreciate the cumulative effect than most readers. There really should be an omnibus of this ffs
>>
>>9453367
I read it as a kid with no recollection of seeing the movie and no understand of economics and I still enjoyed it.

Honestly as long as the basic language is readable for the child in question there's no such thing as "outdated" when it comes to children's literature, because kids don't analyze. They don't care about whether something has been done better by other books or whether the situations discussed are relevant to their world experience; they take everything at face value. I read The Secret Garden in elementary school and aside from needing a few words explained I imagine I enjoyed it just as much as a kid reading it at the time would have.
>>
>>9453401
The Odyssey novels are a good barometer of Clarke's mindset as an author over the decades, as the focus gradually shifts from "the mystery and grandeur of the unknown" to "the completely explained but really neat anyway".
>>
This week I'll see what the fuss about PKD's Valis is. For now, I've nearly finished Jack Vance's To Live Forever, AKA Clarges, so I might chip in my further thoughts on that tomorrow. It's either a three or four dinosaurs book depending on the ending.

>>9453401
>>9453424
I have an unread copy of his 1961 A Fall Of Moondust - is it good? I think I read it's a bit like Weir's The Martian but earlier. I didn't enjoy Rendezvous With Rama much.
>>
>>9453350
I haven't read it in a few years, but a couple things that come to mind are the timeskips between the books, and I'm pretty sure Sev knows more about Jonas than he writes down. It'll become a lot more clear at the end, though. There's also the boat ride when he rapes(?) Jolenta.
>>
>>9453424
>>9453463

I don't know from the rest of Clarke's work but the pleasure in tucking into 2061 for the first time (I stress that I am not a big consumer of /sci-fi literature as such/) is that here again, as in the previous works, we have /things that have actually happened/, versus /things that are years off/. A pleasing tension between fact and fiction of which Clarke was keenly aware, and which he touted constantly and proudly in the various foreward/afterward blurbs, written at different periods (reading all in one go reveals that much more clearly Clarke's usually-excusable penchant for recyclying prose):

2001, science-fact story detail: man has set foot on the moon.
2001, science-fiction conceit: man has meaningful bases on the moon, man has meaningful knowledge of other intelligences.

2010, science-fact story detail: man has surveyed the outer solar system via spacecraft (unmanned, Voyager).
2010, science-ficiton conceit: man has set foot on bodies beyond the moon (mars, Europa).

2061, SCIENCE-FACT STORY DETAIL: MAN HAS SET CRAFT DOWN ON COMETS.
2061, science-fiction conceit (so far, in my reading): le advanced space drives (perhaps later-fact?!)

I insist on a particular trade version of 3001, apparently out-of-print-ish, to complete my set. tips plx apart from google, ISBN 978 034 543 820 1, "purple" "millenium edition" cover.
>>
>>9453413
Actually, I was curious about reading it myself because I wanted to analyze fantasy classics
>>
>>9453463
>1961 A Fall Of Moondust - is it good?
I like it.
>I read it's a bit like Weir's The Martian
They both feature tense space rescues I suppose. More formally written than the memetian of course. If you already have it then go nuts, it's a short read.
>>
>>9453516
It's quite a trip. You should read them.

DISCLAIMER: I was bribed. Found $10 in a library copy when I first went through them as a kid.
>>
File: tin man.jpg (93KB, 500x683px) Image search: [Google]
tin man.jpg
93KB, 500x683px
>>9453516
In that case you definitely should, since it had a huge impact on the field of children's literature and fantasy; arguably the biggest since Alice in Wonderland (which it is heavily inspired by). The only thing you should keep in mind is that it is not something akin to modern "young adult" fiction, that's written with a potentially adult reader in mind. It is decidedly a book for children, which has a great impact on the progression of the story and its internal logic. The Tin Man is a great example of scenario that can seem silly and whimsical to kids, who tend to take things at face value, and disturbing to adults, who are more prone to overthinking.

I think that's the most enduring characteristic of the story: the Land of Oz is a land of childhood, where everything is meant to be taken at face value. Even the villains are completely bald-faced about their morality and ambitions. The only character in the story who engages in any sort of routine deception is the Wizard, who is from outside of Oz.

Make sure you get a copy with the first edition's illustrations; they're great. Pic related.
>>
>>9452969
Hi there. You seem to have the sexual development equivalent to eight year old boys. Seek help.
>>
>>9453985

It's not sexual
You have a very dirty mind
>>
>>9453985
normalfags get out
>>
>>9453985
fuck back off to reddit, normie
>>
Is there any large power creep in The Powder Mage?
>>
>>9453997
>>9453999
>>9454017
Fucking degenerates, all of you.
>>
File: 1471885205652-vg.png (14KB, 633x524px) Image search: [Google]
1471885205652-vg.png
14KB, 633x524px
>far future setting where mankind has expanded out into the stars
>sea navies no longer exist

Every time.
>>
>>9454282
>What is FORCE:Sea
>>
Why does nobody in Sanderson's works have time travel magic?
>>
>>9454409
Forgery is basically time travel... Sort of.
Real time travel would be OP.
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 329x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 329x500px
Just finished this recently
AMA
>>
>>9454282
Dune and Hyperion mentioned them existing
>>
>>9454423
Is shit or what?
>>
>>9454282
>thinking any combat will occur on the actual planets themselves
>not entire wars being wrestled between AIs further than Oorts
>>
Prince of thorns worth a read if I really enjoyed abercrombies stuff?
>>
Any good time travel books y'all would recommed
>>
>>9454779
>>9454780
Perhaps
>>
>>9442327
>Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
Man that was beautiful, I still kind of want to learn Italian and read it in the original language.
>>
Any webnovel worth reading?
>>
>>9454158

Yes, one makes sense and is gradual the other is shoehorned in to appeal to women
>>
>>9444925
Gotta love PKD. What's that from?
>>
>>9454836
no
>>
>>9454855
That's from Ubik, a book I recently read and had mixed views on, only awarding it three out of five. However, the more that I think about it, the better it seems in hindsight. I'm retroactively bumping it to four because it's still a book that I think about a couple of weeks later, and there are some memorable passages. Some of the plotting and apparent lack of editing still annoy me, but little else feels like reading PKD.
>>
>>9454836
John Dies at the End was written as a web novel. Are you looking for something still being written or something already completed?
>>
NEW THREAD

>>9455435
>>9455435
>>9455435
>>9455435
>>9455435
>>
>>9454779
It's short and wouldn't take up much of your time, and written pretty consistently. You should know early on if you like it or not and if you want to stop.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 64

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.