[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Literary confessions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 10

File: james-joyce.jpg (38KB, 448x293px) Image search: [Google]
james-joyce.jpg
38KB, 448x293px
Post them.
>>
Throughout my university education I have probably collectively written somewhere in the neighbourhood of 900-1000 pages for various academic essays and term papers. Spaced out over a few years and numerous different courses that is not that much. Especially when you factor in the in text citations/quotes. Most of my term papers have received grades ranging from an A- to A+ with a few B's. It's always my own, original work. Until this term.

I have paid $300 to have 2 term papers written. I am plagiarizing. I have written 70 pages worth of essays on my own this term and I have absolutely no more juice left. I have been severely depressed for years. It has only gotten worse. I can barely get out of bed. Last month I missed 2 weeks of class because I could not bring myself to leave my apartment. I am pretty ashamed but I don't care anymore.
>>
I have strong opinions on books I've never read.
>>
Kafka was a pussy.
>>
I started with Zarathustra
I don't get the jokes on Gravity's Rainbow
I dont know how to write poetry
I've got a pretty decent idea for a book and my prose is really decent, I really think it could work, but I preffer reading
I haven't had sex in more than a year
I'm a brainlet, don't know any math
>>
I'd do anything to go back in time to high school and tell myself to read. I went through a mentality where I thought reading was a waste of time because things like movies, television shows and music were better ways to tell a story or educate. For 4 precious years of my life, I didn't touch a single book. What I wouldn't give to get those 4 years back...
>>
File: 1450389337024.jpg (19KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1450389337024.jpg
19KB, 400x388px
holy fuck I have been trying, I swear to you /lit/, I have been trying HARD but I cannot read from eletronic devices. Tried my first pynchon, V., reading it on my computer/cellphone, have read about 30% of it but over 2 fucking months and I actually enjoyed reading it, it never took me so long to read something, holy shit its horrible. I tried going to the public library but they don't have it there, also its not viable to buy it...just tell me I can jump straight into gravity's rainbow (have started with the greeks, read most joyce, etc), which I have the actual physical book and that it is going to be ok, please
>>
>>9296076
V is fun but basic shit compared to GR which is a masterwork

jump in
>>
>>9295992
Give us an example, anon. Is Finnegan's wake among them?
>>
i'll read half a book and give up, no shame

i won't say that i read it but i probably won't try again
>>
>>9296076
you can get e readers super cheap now
>>
Somebody recommended Nietzsche to me claiming he refuted Schopenhauerian pessimism, but I still find Schopenhauer more convincing of the two.
>>
I'm writing an Whitmanesque 1000+ page book of poetry/prose/pretty much every other written form and the project and collage has gotten so bad that all I'm ever writing abd reading for is this book. Its never going to see the light of day and even if it does it'll be torn to shreds for being incomprehensible and bloated and pretentious beyond measure, not to mention blatant plagiarism of all types of sources. I've been working on it since I was 15 and really in to poetry and avant garde lit and I really thought I could make something with it, but now I know any hope of a lifetime's masterwork is hopeless, even posthumously.

This will probably go in to it too, since this fucking book has become my everything. Living is hell to me now.
>>
>>9296260
You have a source of meaning. That's more than a lot of people can say.
>>
>>9296260
Your diary desu
>>
>>9296103
Finnegan's Wake is gibberish for people who want to look smart. never read it
>>
>>9296260
Keep going anon. Remember most of the artistry of writing goes into the editing. You can still salvage your masterpiece.
>>
>>9296553
A lot of people read Ulysses to look smart
I don't think anyone would be able to make it through the Wake of their only motivation was looking smart
>>
Keep going, Examine it, find seeds, and allow them to germinate. There will be jewels amongst the shit.
>>
>>9296260
^idiot
>>
>>9296260
Honestly, honestly, tee bee aitch, write a book about the struggles of you writing your book
>>
I like Pynchon's prose more than I like Joyce's, even though I think Joyce is a genius. There's just something about Pynchon's rhythm that seems to flow with my internal thought pattern better than any other writer.

I also think George Saunders is terribly overrated and gimmicky.
>>
>>9295933
I'm gay
>>
I never read the Greeks, and don't plan on reading them anytime soon except for the Iliad

I like technical history novels

I won't end up reading most of the meme /lit/ because the shit you guys often spew out is 1,000+ pages, and I've got several books that size that need reading

I don't read fiction, unless it's cerebral fiction, or it changes one's life, Ie Dostoyevsky

I write book reviews on KikebookAnd I like it

I don't like poetry

studying theology is superior to philosophy

Best Philosopher is Diogenes

Hitchhiker's Guide is a shit series that doesn't have humor
>>
>>9295933
I read shit I'm interested in. If that never includes shakespeare then fuck it.
>>
>>9295933
My dad is one of the major American writers

And he's not Pynchon
>>
>>9295937
Take a break, dude

No one is expecting you to be a god, they just want to see you grow
>>
I can't read more than two pages without autistically spacing out and returning to my mind
>>
>>9298326
Go away Henry
>>
>>9295937
SORT
>>
>>9296260
how old are you? if it's shit and you know it's shit and you're under 50 just ditch it and write something good you faggot. don't fall for that sunk cost bullshit.
>>
>>9298842
YOURSELF
>>
>>9295933
I love Bukowski's work.
>>
>>9299543
OUT
>>
Hamlet is overrated garbage.
>>
I don't like reading fiction.
>>
>>9296076
I've been having problems with electronic devices too. It's the light that kills me. I prefer print, but obviously thats more expensive.
>>
>>9298085
didn't think it was possible to this big of a pseud desu
>>
>>9296076
Get f.lux or redshift and watch your problems melt away.
t. ed/g/elord
>>
>>9299927
Just because he disagrees with you?
>>
Fitzgerald was mediocre.
I forgot most about Nietzsche and I still bring him up in every debate to appear smart.
>>
>>9299926
it's really not, unless you're only pirating books. you can get used books for like $3
>>
>>9296020
What else do you wish you'd have done in high school anon?

For my friend
>>
>>9295937
You really ought to find a therapist as soon as you can. Shell out for a psychiatrist, not an essay writer.
>>
>>9299964
>talks in third person
>transparent samefagging
>>
>>9296076

Your library system can get the book shipped to your library.
>>
I like fiction
>>
>>9296260

Find someone to help you. Write letters to delineate your thoughts. If the work is expansive, a publisher may be interested enough to tell you what they think is wrong with it.
>>
>>9296260
Actually laughed at that, you seem to have a fun life, keep the struggle it's interesting, as the other anon said you could write about writing
>>
>>9298303
Exactly my thought
>>
>>9298345
Two pages is impressive, I can do 4 lines
>>
>>9299819
>>9298842
>>9299543
I always smile at those separated post memes
kms
>>
I often reverse search images to find an author, read the description on wiki and discuss it here as though I read it

Pls no ban
>>
File: wallace1_1.jpg (5KB, 106x106px) Image search: [Google]
wallace1_1.jpg
5KB, 106x106px
I want to eat Joyce's ass while DFW watches
>>
I don't like reading plays. I'd leather watch them with the play in hand to follow it like subtitles.
>>
>>9301206
No wonder he hung himself
>>
I don't actually read books. I just pretend I have. I've pretended to read about ~200 novels.
>>
>>9301522
hanged
>>
>>9295933
didnt like middlemarch at all
>>
When I was 12 there was a pair of fanfics I read devotedly, a 200k word Zelda epic and it's 500k word sequel, and I still read them pretty much every year to this day.
>>
Kurt Vonnegut is one of my favorite writers, and I've read almost everything he ever wrote.
>>
>>9296196
I agree with you
>>
I stopped halfway through Karamazov Brothers because it was boring asf and I'm already 24 and I think I'm past the target audience for that book
>>
I'm terrible at ascertaining subtext. I had to Sparknotes Cat's Cradle.

I strictly read philosophy now because it's more straightforward and it feels like I'm using my time more productively. Doubt I can get much better at analyzing novels anyway.
>>
>>9301663
Acceptable if you're a teenager, which I assume you are.
>>
>>9302118
your exasperation with cat's cradle is funny to me, it's almost endearing. like I imagine you furrowing yoru brow, frowning, and thinking about what ice nine symbolizes
>>
>>9302239
That's basically what happens. No good at subtext. Dunno if it's a function of me having only read seriously for a year or so or what but I figure by this time I'd be able to pick up on it more, so I kind of threw in the towel a couple of months ago.
>>
>>9301650
I read ComicsNix and he has had a profound influence on my own writing style.
>>
I play vidya, watch anime, and I like Bukowski.
>>
I read "The Enemy Beneath" and thought it was worthy of a sequel...
>>
>>9295933
I pride myself on not reading shit books people love but I read Catcher in the Rye.
>>
File: IMG_1195.jpg (83KB, 1006x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1195.jpg
83KB, 1006x1024px
>>9297950
Haven't seen that before
>>
File: cr.jpg (56KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
cr.jpg
56KB, 400x400px
I CANT READ
>>
>>9296553
You don't have to read it to have that opinion honestly. I read the first 5 pages and thought the same thing
>>
I jacked off to a picture of Novalis a couple times
>>
I understand the genius behind books however I almost never appreciate it and I often have to read an analysis to get any meaning below the surface
>>
I have read books in thousands but I have nothing to say about them. Not really. Not one original thought in my brain in nearly 30 years.
>>
>>9302896

underrated
>>
>>9303509
WHAT
>>
I like reading gay Sherlock fanfiction
>>
>>9295937
Read a little for fun anon and make a habit of excersizing in the morning
>>
Whenever a book is mentioned in a book I'm reading I always stop reading that book for a time in order to read the book that was mentioned. This leads me down rabbit holes and I rarely end up finishing books because of this.
>>
I think reading philosophy undermines the entire concept of philosophy.

I read for plot.

I enjoy genre fiction.

I tried reading Gravity's Rainbow and I didn't understand fucking anything. The metal spires in the beginning? I thought it was the ruins of an old train station. Turns out it's about a bed. So...
>>
>>9302497
wow
>>
>>9303848
Do you also listen to metal music and play video games?
>>
One Piece is one of the best works I've ever read. The world building is phenomenal.
>>
File: b2d47ed43f8bc917232406301c122a67.png (975KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
b2d47ed43f8bc917232406301c122a67.png
975KB, 1280x720px
I genuinely believe anyone who enjoys the works of certain types of authors, for example Toni Morrison, should be killed. Not in the sense that someone should go and kill them, but that if they died it'd be a good thing, for everyone, 'them' included.
>>
>>9303848
wow
>>
>>9302497
You could have just said that you don't read
>>
>>9304130
pre time skip, I agree with you. Norland's story is fucking tragic if you think about it.

Pity post time skip is mediocre.
>>
>>9304130
Pathetic
>>
I don't really read, I just accidentally clicked on this board and decided to stay for a moment because lately I've found interest in antiquarian items.
>>
I listen to Drake, Gucci Mane, Trey Songz, smoke copious amounts of weed, get beyond hammered at bars and clubs, blow coke, take LSD and fuck sluts on the weekends. I probably have 5+ different drugs in my system from this weekend alone right now.
>>
I apologize in advance.

I think books for the purpose of storytelling will always be out shined by a well produced TV series. The whole books > movies thing is only true because of the movie format itself, under 3 hour movies contained in a movie theater. But a TV show can run as long as it wants/needs to.

In that sense, the story written in a book can be 100% faithfully translated to video if truly understood by the makers of it. So I believe video/audio is a straight up upgrade to simply text, it's just a matter of doing it right.
>>
>>9304796
>art medium > art medium
>>>/b/
>>
>>9295937
Burn out is the worse, but you'll eventually bound back. WHETHER YOU WANT TO OR NOT.
>>
>>9304796
They're just suited for different things. You're never going to capture the essence of the Sound and the Fury, the true essence of what Faulkner was really going for, in a TV series.
>>
I once posted in a "Literary confessions" thread just to say I posted in a "Literary confessions" thread. I tried not to, but I wasn't on time.
>>
>>9304096
no
I guess I should say I enjoy genre fiction in addition to other books
>>
>>9304808
I've never even been to /b/. Not even sure what you mean. You mean it's a retarded thing to say "books > movies"? I just meant it's a common thought out there that "the book is always better than the movie" and I'm trying to say that's mostly due to the length limitation of mainstream movies themselves.

>>9304832

I've found myself not having a very good time with most works of fiction and only enjoy nonfiction books. Maybe it's just me, but feels like books are for information and knowledge, where if I wanted entertainment I would go for pretty much anything else. I'm not trying to attack books or something here, or say they are a "thing of the past". Is there a fiction book that simply cannot be translated into audio/video format properly, you think?

I really believe just due to the nature of them being stories with descriptions of their environments plus subtext means they could be 100% translated into a movie/tv show format with no loss, if done correctly. Where most nonfiction, basically books that deal more with ideas and thoughts couldn't become an actual narrative in video format without creating a story to embed the information in.
>>
>>9304851
You're just dumb
>>
The one in The Stranger was pretty lit
>>
I feel mentally exhausted trying to read maldorer by lautremont. I wonder if other people feel this sort of exhaustion when trying to read a book, to the point where it feels like a physical exercise with the brain as some sort of muscle exerting energy. Or, I wonder if there's something wrong with my brain and I just feel mental exhaustion because my brain is broken.
>>
>>9304857
I love reading, very few books did I not fully understand, then I did my part and research to know more and understand them better. If I was dumb I wouldn't be here comparing these art forms, now would I?

I even bothered learning your shitty language to discuss this with you and you can't even say anything back to me of any relevance to the topic.

I can do it too, look: "You're just a poser for reading books!"
>>
>>9304985
It'd be a waste to seriously engage with dumb people
>>
>>9304998
That's such a ridiculous thing to say. If you believe yourself to be so superior, that your opinion on this matter is the truth, why not educate someone else? It's real easy to say "you're wrong and I won't waste any time telling you why I'm right"

Tell me your thoughts on what I said anon. Explain to me why you think I'm dumb. Engage in any actual discussion instead of just name calling.
>>
>>9304808
Every art medium has it's upsides and downsides. It's correct to subjectively think that one medium has more overall potential than others.

Not that the post you're responding to can articulate the full list of pluses and minuses of the medias he's talking about, so he is a fucking plebian scum.
>>
>>9305014
I stopped halfway through reading your post because it'd also be a waste to read all your drivel
>>
>>9305017
>correct
You mean naive
>>
>>9305014
Not the guy you're responding to, but honestly, you don't seem to be intelligent enough to be able to maintain a conversation about intermedia relationships.
>>9305026
Novels are better suited for certain kinds of stories than symphonies. I believe certain kinds of stories to be able to convey meaning in a way more suited for me/humans in general. Therefore some mediums are subjectively better than others. Obviously this isn't a judgement one can make lightly or without understanding the media fully. Also, this mostly pertains to the potential of the medium, not the actual body of work it currently has.
>>
>>9305018
I guess you didn't read what I said at all and just assumed it wasn't worth your precious time. Even if it was just a few short sentences. Okay then. I wonder why you even bothered to reply at all.

>>9305017
I didn't try to articulate anything, I was just saying a passing thought and seeing what other people thought of it, not going in a full in depth review of art forms, jeez.

I like reading. I also like watching movies and enjoy TV shows. Recently I read "Do androids dream of electric sheep?", it was alright. I also watched the movie Blade Runner and I think both of em focused on different aspects and have their own merits.

But considering you can probably read the whole book in a few hours and watch the movie in two, it's not like it was a waste of my time.

>>9305041
Another "Wow you are just not INTELLIGENT enough to get it" post, great. You probably mean I'm uneducated in what I'm talking about. Can't help but feel a certain sense of inherent superiority around here for reading and attempting to shun other mediums, though.

Maybe I'm just inexperienced in the world of literature, that is true, only recently did I actually start reading more.

I agree with >>9305017 though, that a lot of novels/stories in written format could be moved into a video format with no loss of the content itself, while enhancing the way it's presented, while other other works would suffer greatly no matter how hard you tried, you'd have to force it into a medium it just isn't suited to.

Just sucks I presented an idea and asked "what do you all think about it?" only to be met with people going that's ridiculous, you are such an idiot, not smart enough to discuss such topics. I'd love to hear why then. Am I uneducated and giving an opinion on something I don't fully understand? Show me the way then. Am I just naturally "unintelligent" for some reason? I'd love to hear why you think so.
>>
>>9305087
now THIS is autism
>>
>>9304351
>books are antiquated
Kys
>>
>>9305113
I'm literally just trying to have a discussion. I'm trying to discuss an idea and maybe learn something from it. Though it sure seems pretty autistic of me to hope for much of a reply from a bunch of people who have no interest in talking, only insulting.

Alright, I'm out then. Thanks for nothing.
>>
>>9305087
The issue is that it's pretty clear that you don't have the required in-depth understanding of any medium to really compare them. You have to understand the way movies are put together Editing, cinematography, acting, foley ect. to even start to comprehend what the essence of the medium is. The same goes for literature. I don't go on this board to educate random new people on art.

People are going to act like pretentious dickholes around here. Deal with it. Lurk moar.
>>9305125
>implying he's wrong
>>
>>9299918
go away, Eliot
>>
>>9305129
chill dude, the point is you got to let this shit go. this place is a shitpit. if you get mad everytime some one calls you a dumbass, then you're gonna have a bad time.

You said something stupid, anon said so. But nobody is beholden to you or has to explain WHY you're a dipshit. Discussing artforms is long, arduous and mostly pointless. And frankly, neither that anon, nor I feel like getting into it. Especially if your opening argument is so stupid.

Tv shows=books; apples=oranges.

tl;dr: chill
>>
>>9305179
Anon here, I would totally be up to talking about arforms, but he literally just saw Blade Runner in 2017, so I somehow doubt he's literate.
>>
>>9305041
>I believe certain kinds of stories to be able to convey meaning in a way more suited for me/humans in general.

The validity of this belief only undermines the capacity of the receiver, not the 'overall potential' of the medium itself. That is unless you consider the "overall potential" subjective to one's capacity, in which case I agree with the concept, but I disagree with the choice of words.
>>
>>9305195
Sure, you gotta pick your battles, I get it.
>>
>>9305179
Fine, one more post.

I'm not angry really, just a bit disappointed. Guess I expected a bit more of a discussion to come out of it and a lot less hostility. Not an in depth discussion of all art forms. Mostly it was about how well you could adapt books into forms that rely heavily on video and audio and how I figured most stories could be translated faithfully if there was a proper understanding of the original work. I guess I was looking for a "I agree" or "I disagree, this series for example could never be translated well enough to a movie or series. These elements would be lost and unable to be reproduced in the cinematography"

>>9305195
That was my own fault for refraining from watching Blade Runner until I read the book, which came way too late into my life.

Either way, I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject, I'm mostly looking to hear about how all of you other "experts" feel about it. With a little less attack against my person, thanks.

Or if you don't wanna talk about it, then don't bother replying to say "I don't care to talk about it"
>>
>>9305228
Try /r/books, they'd appreciate your pseudo-intellectualism and engage with you in those deep interesting topics
>>
>>9305228
>his series for example could never be translated well enough to a movie or series.

I'll humour you: you can't translate good prose into a movie. You may say that you can via a narrator, dialogue, and other words, but it's not the same. When I see good prose, I reread it, then I read it slower, then I stop and admire. This is something that literature lets you do: stopping while reading a book is a natural extension of the medium. Yes, you can rewind your movie, you can play it at 0.5 speed, and you can freeze the screen. However, there is a deep mismatch between the two experiences, and if you can't see it, I perfectly understand your position and I think you should stick with movies.
>>
File: 31.jpg (291KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
31.jpg
291KB, 2048x1536px
>>9295933

i cant read
>>
>>9305228
You are getting trolled out the shitter.

If novels aren't for you they aren't for you. That's fine. It's not really dumb what you said, but you aren't going to find anyone who isn't going to be defensive on this site. It's the book section of 4chan. They feel as if you're undermining their "thing" and the cool kids are feeding off your reaction.

Discussing the differences between mediums isn't stupid but this just isn't the place for it.
>>
>>9305315
I see.

>>9305273
First off, thanks for an actual reply.

Second, I'm really not attempting to "stick to one superior art form" here, I'll continue watching movies and I'll continue reading as time permits.

Anyhow. Most people would define prose as a form of writing that stems from a natural flow of speech, as opposed to a more structured form of writing as seen in poetry. Why is it that a narrator or character speaking the same lines that were born in such a way could not deliver the lines in a way that matches it?

Is it because the book does not "force" you to read in some way? Not necessarily because of the whole stop/continue and appreciate experience, but mostly because the prose however you want, while there is only one way an actor can deliver that line?
>>
>>9305204
I mean, it's subjective by necessity of being art.
>undermines the capacity of the receiver
Not if you've surpassed a certain level of literacy in the genre. I mean, I've done film studies and have listened to a frankly embarrassing amount of music. I also play an instrument and have learned to write and think critically about both media. I'm fairly sure I can at least hazily see the current boundaries of music a film, therefore I can make a pretty good guess where the limits for both of them lie. Now, how you compare those limits is extremely subjective, but I think the limits themselves are distinguishable enough to establish if enough rigorous work is done. Obviously this shouldn't have much practical application beyond "what medium I want to tell this story in?", but most people tend to focus their creative energy on one medium at a time anyway, so it's not even a very useful application.
>>9305273
You could say that cinematography and everything post-production is the prose of movies. Or maybe not. You're right that it's not an easy translation anyhow.
>>
>>9305337
Just one thing I want to add before I have to go: capacity is not necessarily about studies and knowledge, as it may be about natural predilection and interests. My girlfriend is a certified piano teacher, yet she does not enjoy any type of music and her life is centred around visual arts. The limits of each medium are relative to the person: the meaning that is communicated through opera for one person may be equally well communicated to you through film -- this is what I meant by capacity and it does not need to be limited by literacy.

Now I'll have to let you discuss this further with our Blade Runner friend
>>
>>9305334
If you read something like the Sound and the Fury, you're going to have a very difficult time translating that to TV. The novel is predominantly internal dialogue. It would be very hard to translate that experience or even one that is close in equivalence. A lot would likely be lost in translation. The scattered Quentin, the occasionally lucid simpleton Benji...the fierce, jagged, mean Versh. This is about their mental landscapes, and Faulkner really nails it in a way that only words can convey. You could probably make a decent film, but it would take a miracle that it would have the same equivalent depth as the novel. And this is simply because a sentence can convey twelve times as much meaning as ten seconds of film if that is its intention.

I think the deal is that words can contain more information than imagery. That is their power, they have greater capacity for depth over sheer images. There is a deepness in literature that is simply not in film. Films are more visceral. That is the difference and that is literatures inherent value.

You could go ahead and read characters' lines from a book as an actor and try and incorporate them naturally into a film. It is not going to work all of the time. It's way more entertaining and interesting to read something than listen to a watered down, dialogue driven film that attempts to deliver the same ideas and quotes massive parts of the text. You just aren't going to make a compelling movie adaptation of the Sound and the Fury by quoting large parts of Quentin dialogue and that's where your idea fails. You're also not going to quite capture his mental processes if you did visually jump from scene to scene in his head like he does because psychological processes are more akin to words and less visual than film. So there is a role for literature, which was your entire thing at first, that there wasn't.
>>
>>9305406
To yell into the wind, there really are some things that don't fundamentally work in a given genre. For example, music does not lend itself the horror very well. The closest thing I can think of are field recordings of people suffering (think Peter Sotos). Not to say that music isn't capable of enhancing other horror works, on the contrary, music and sound design is often what other genres rely on to create the horror. The most I've heard music evoke in that regard is just mild discomfort. Compare this to movies, where horror is an entire genre. Movies are clearly better suited to horror. I don't think you can just explain it all away with just natural predilection or cultural bias towards certain genres - there's something inherent about music that just doesn't allow it to evoke horror the same way movies do.
>>
>>9305443
To support this, look at Watchmen - the comic was translated pretty much as well as it could have been, but it just works infinitely better as a comic book because it's the type of story that was WRITTEN for a comic book.
>>
>>9305444
>music does not lend itself the horror very well
>Movies are clearly better suited to horror.

Not to me. Listening to 芸能山城組 [Geinoh Yamashirogumi] - 恐山 (Osorezan) / 銅之剣舞 (Dō no Kenbai) in the night with my eyes closed has been a more meaningful horror experience for me than I ever derived from any of the horror movies I watched. I don't think this is a matter of potential of the medium
>>
>>9305464
I will absolutely check this out. Thanks for the rec anon.
>>
>>9305443
I understand. I felt someone who had a sufficient understanding of the book they could always translate it almost 1:1. I thought if the words were there (literally the same words) and there was enough backing imagery and sound design to accompany the original idea and sensations of when you were reading the book itself, you could recreate the experience faithfully. It's still a little hard for me to imagine words so deep their significance could not be portrayed otherwise, outside of you appreciating them yourself.

One more thought though. I see you mention films a lot. The reason I talked about "TV shows", was mostly because I meant the idea of having a series, where you could perhaps expose those ideas a lot slower. It wouldn't be a massive information dump of quotations while jumping from scene to scene, but something more structured, much like chapters or just in general stretches of time in the book itself.

In my mind given the tools that visuals and audio offer and given enough time you could recreate anything without true loss of the content.

I see what you are saying though. I think the best way I could better understand it was read the book you mentioned.

Well, Blade Runner friend here has to go for now. Thanks for your insight.
>>
The original reason I got in to /lit/ and writing is because I wanted to run a decent quest on /tg/. Now that it's all on the dying /qst/ board or the autistic Akun, I will likely never write stories in the countless worlds that I have built to house them.
>>
>>9305334
Writing is much more comfortably dynamic than imagery. Writing is NOT akin to speech. If you're going to quote a complex novel for a movie script, then you might as well just have people read the book, because you're going to end up relying on the writings to tell the story with tacked on, confusing imagery to justify it as a film. Do you believe you could ever really capture the heart of Ulysses in film? You can make a visual version that is different in emphasis but honorary, but unless you want to make a 56 hour film then you won't be able to do it. And that is because text allows you to be more dynamic. Ulysses the novel is scattered but unified. It can be that simply because that is what writing allows you to do. Jump around while maintaining cohesiveness without being clunky. You could couple the general text with imagery, which would essentially be filler for the ideas that you've taken from the novel, and you have a visual, long, uncomfortable, muddled, more confusing and pointless version of the novel. Text is more dynamic while allowing more natural cohesiveness, more concise, and it allows more depth, as words are symbols that can more easily, more greatly, and more efficiently convey meaning than actual imagery.
>>
>>9305557
Also, words allow you to transition from idea to idea waaaaaaaaay more easily than imagery. The mind is looking for a narrative in visual input inherently. I do not believe it is looking for it as strongly in words. It is just more comfortable and natural for our minds to shift from one idea to the next in writing suddenly ("scene to scene"), as the visual pattern of continuity we are naturally more prone to look for in imagery--that would attempt to follow that same pace as choppier text, imagery being much more central to our construction of the practical world around us in our minds--is interrupted and the point of which likely isn't as obvious in imagery or easy for our minds to accrpt. There is an "evidence" our brain is seeking in imagery that is not needed in text, our minds accept discontinuity much easier with sheer words. Again this is just a strength of written word.
>>
>>9305512
Okay, for whatever reason our minds are more accepting of bulky subtext and essence that says the same thing as a 100 episode long series that is a replica of a novel. The same thing may be said in the end, but if you are going to essentially recite a novel with accompanying imagery, then it might as well just be read, and the debate that it is primarily spoken word as oppose to film could begin to get made. The definitions of film start to get abandoned at that point and you end up with a spoken word and visual accompaniment representation of a novel as oppose to true film.
>>
>>9305512
For a true 100 episode long series that is true film that manages to nail precisely all aspects of a novel, a true visualization of its spirit, it is mere taste that decides which one is better.
>>
File: sddd.png (24KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
sddd.png
24KB, 160x160px
I'm a computer programmer/about-to-be graduate student in theoretical CS and am way more interested in writing degenerate fiction with average prose than am anything else
maybe I can be a shitty community college professor and live in an RV
I think I could be pretty happy with that
>>
>>9305674
>theoretical CS
how is this different than regular CS? do you just do complexity and computability and have no software engineering course
>>
>>9305334
You're bringing out the autism. With text, you can quicken the pace of which the depth can be delivered. It's probably going to be a hell of a long diluted and boring TV series that could accurately and fully with all nuances properly translate a novel. Writing conveys meaning much more efficiently and quickly than a TV series can. Truly delivering some depth of novels would require 200 episodes where next to nothing goes on, whereas it would have taken you potentially 20 some hours to digest near the same thing.
>>
File: 95f.png (42KB, 655x509px) Image search: [Google]
95f.png
42KB, 655x509px
I don't read
>>
I'm a guy, but enjoy books, that are popular among teenage girls. Though, they are not necessarily targeted towards them, just popular among them
>>
>>9305680
that's what is implied, yes
I have minor Mathematics so I highly doubt anything thrown at me from CS is going to actually give me difficulty
I borderline hate coding at this point, although from what I understand on-the-job programming is pretty light and way less complex than the deep-level shit I've been doing in class for the past several semesters
>>
>>9305693
Faggot
>>
>>9305705
you are delusional if you think that anything from CS is easier than anything from maths, and if you think that your shitty university modules are more complex than SE in industry
>>
>>9305753
>anything from CS
I meant >everything
>>
is it okay to download e-books and read them on the computer, asking for a friend
>>
>>9305760
no. you need to buy an ereader
>>
>>9305693
you have a disproportionate ratio of words/commas considering you don't know how to use them
>>
>>9305780
what is a good one
>>
>>9305805
paperwhite2 or kobo glo or something if you are anti amazon
>>
>>9305753
It's not delusion, it's literally experience, at least from the math side of things
Arguably so from the modules statement. A lot of the stuff we're doing now (almost exclusively small systems building) is usually handled by a team of several people versus one student
>>
>>9305464
Nope, sorry. It's a brilliant piece, and it evokes unease, but it isn't even the scariest album I've heard. I'm still unconvinced.

If you want to hear more horror music, listen to Shub Niggurath's - S/T.
>>
I cant read, I have no idea what the fuck im typing right now, in all likelihood it is complete gibberish
>>
I only ever write poetry because I don't know how to use grammar correctly. How do I get better?
>>
>>9295933
I want to be the Raymond Chandler of fantasy fiction.
>>
File: donne.jpg (196KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
donne.jpg
196KB, 640x360px
I have something called Donne's curse.

Basically, I've developed the belief over the years that when I read John Donne, I actually summon him and he exists as a kind of Elizabethan-era daemon living within me. This isn't something I'm just LARPing about. It's a seriously fucked up thing that never fails to happen, and the only way to get rid of the curse is to make a woman fall in love with me or to fuck me.

In return, I gain the ability to write sonnets at will and to channel his being. It's not something I willingly try to do and I don't even like his poetry that much. But reading Donne always causes some Jumanji-tier hijinks to happen to my life which frankly, I'm so sick of. I would happily burn every copy of that motherfucker's verse if I could and send a Stuxnet-like virus to remove every documented piece of John Donne's work.

I'll be honest. I've tried summoning other writers. Marcel Proust mostly. But nothing else has ever worked. I seriously wonder if I'm entering some realm of black magic where his soul has been locked into his poetry like strands of DNA.

Be careful what you read tonight.
>>
>>9295933
I read the entire Twilight series.
Thread posts: 160
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.