[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>reading pynchon >dont get most of the references

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: 1481997445219.gif (2MB, 228x170px) Image search: [Google]
1481997445219.gif
2MB, 228x170px
>reading pynchon
>dont get most of the references
>>
>>9153939
If you're too dumb to get references, then you're too dumb to be starting threads on this board.

>>>/r9k/
>>
>>9153939
Pynchon doesn't want you to get his references, that's part of his appeal and mystique. It's also why people criticize him
>>
>>9153939
Ok. ok. wow. just... ok. You do realise nobody cares and you should kill yourself right?
>>
>>9153945
How does catching references correlate with intelligence?
>>
>>9153965
That's not true at all.

A decent amount of knowledge on WWII history, engineering, mathematics, Latin, French, German, Rilke, freemasonry, and quantum physics is necessary before you can understand Pynchon
>>
>>9154085
>tfw already wasted my money in something I will not get at all
Why couldnt you had made this post 2 weeks ago?
>>
>>9153939
I know right! England, what the fuck is that shit. An adenoid, yeah thanks cause I'm a fucking throat scientist so I know what that is of course.
And I'm also a history genius who knows what the fuck world war II was all about off the top of my head.
>>
>>9154085
I couldn't tell you what a differential is, but Pynchon explains it beautifully and clearly in terms of the V2 guidance system.
>>
>>9154125
What about in terms of the log cabin?
>>
>reading Gravity's Rainbow
>reading Pynchon wiki annotations
>is too monotonous
>have better time letting references to obscure things go unexplained
>>
>>9153939
There's a companion/key to Gravity's Rainbow.
>>
File: 1438960056919.jpg (24KB, 470x437px) Image search: [Google]
1438960056919.jpg
24KB, 470x437px
>tfw Gravity's Rainbow starts making TOO much sense
h-holy fuck
>>
>>9154085
This isn't true. To understand pynchon you just need to go to the Wikipedia page of entropy, predestination, and uncertainty. This is why he is obsolete now. It's not like his prose is worth a damn either
>>
>>9154261
>obsolete
>It's not like his prose is worth a damn either
>>
>>9153945
>t. newfag hoping to fit in and get some (You)s
>>
>might as well post this here
Second attempt at GR, will pic related help me keep everything straight?
>>
File: 20170225_012546.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170225_012546.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>9154306
>>
>>9153939
>read 900 pages of Pynchon
>"what's it about, anon?"
>describe description on back of book
>>
>>9154316
It's about fucking rockets OK!?
>>
File: trystero coffee.jpg (97KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
trystero coffee.jpg
97KB, 640x640px
>>9153939
That's okay, he's only useful for making hipster-recognition signals anyway.
>>
Lots of his reference are just period-specific, unless he's talking about occult stuff like the Tarot(which he seems to do a lot). Just take it in as part of the atmosphere.
>>
>>9154145
Does he make the calculus houseboat joke? I had a physics professor my freshman year who spent 45 minutes on an incredibly complicated problem just to reveal at the end he was making the fucking houseboat joke
>>
>>9154261
>It's not like his prose is worth a damn either.
Pynchon's prose is better than most poetry, newfriend.
>>
File: sundayschool.png (130KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
sundayschool.png
130KB, 600x450px
>>9154372
that's unfortunate

but don't let it put you off, Crying is nothing compared to GR, and it's really easy to differentiate people who praise/crit that work mindlessly from people who genuinely feel ways about it

just read it you trash mouth, you'll love it if you put in the time
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.