[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 37

File: Path-of-Daggers.jpg (224KB, 1024x769px) Image search: [Google]
Path-of-Daggers.jpg
224KB, 1024x769px
Fantasy
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread: >>8979294
>>
first for robert anton wilson
>>
>>8982809

Currently reading Ciaphas Cain and the black company too. I really like both desu. But does Dreams of Steel ever get good? im about half way through and its pretty bad/dull and are the later books as good as the first 4? I just find Lady's chapters boring as she builds her army. But at least Croker isnt dead like i thought he was at the end of Book 3

Although from its reputation i really expected some dark shit but it seems rather tame to me apart from the child rape in Book 1 (but the rapers get killed instantly). Hell Lady isnt evil really.

Croaker is just great though

>>8983124

The Lady and soul catcher are always described as attractive but everyone is too spooked to make a move
>>
i'm trying my hand at a fantasy novel, what do you guys think

>Taking my hand in hers, I turned towards the Death Magician. Glancing backwards, I saw Crimson’s eyes begin to water, her tears like golden sapphires against her ivory cheek. Gritting my teeth, I placed the back of my hand across her face and cradled her beautiful flesh. I wasn’t about to let a demon ruin everything. Everything I had worked so hard to protect. Ever since the death of my parents I’ve always felt this outrageous and tempestuous urge to protect the living, and I wasn’t about to let some freak ruin it all. Originias curse pulsed on the back of my neck as I took out my sword. A pain in the neck. Literally.
>“Hey, asshole”, I say defiantly.
>“Are you ready?” he smirked cruelly as he interrupts me. Taken aback, I ask in a tentative way,
>“ready to what?” I barked back, my fists clenching.
>“Ready to die!”
>He rushed forward and yanked my arm out of it’s socket, but at this point I could no longer feel pain. I laugh. And then plunge my hand straight through his chest. Startled, he howled in trepidation and his dragon tattoos convulsed, as the creatures below us hissed in a penurious attitude. But then, something happened. Something that I would never forget. Not even on my deathbed would I ever forget this. Even that moment when Chrysalis raped and tortured my mother, paled in comparison to this. Stuck inside this anfractuous maze, with my hand stuck inside the demon's chest, Crimson took a step forward and
>>
>nameless girl protag is supposedly sold to slavers by parents
>Christian symbolism
>girl becomes Jesus
It's basically girl becomes saviour-of-the-world-Jesus in fantasy land but it's never been done in my native language and I have a decent story built around this idea.
I want to play with the idea that jesus-like characters are not cookie-cutter builds that preach the same old story, but are what's needed at the time in the world.
There's subtle hints throughout the book that she is that world and time's version of Jesus and while it doesn't necessarily happen in our universe, the whole Jesus thing is a phenomenon spanning across every universe, like sort of a self repairing mechanism to the universe itself.

It's trippy as fuck if I say it like that but actually is a lighthearted and comfy style novel, in the style of old Romanian folk tales. I try not to write dense preachy paragraphs and the world it's set in is comfy with mountains and forests and shit. It actually reminds me of the hobbit mixed with book of the new sun minus the edge.
>>
>Fifth book in the series is also the largest and worst out of the lot
Name me the series
>>
File: Batnipples.png (242KB, 389x193px) Image search: [Google]
Batnipples.png
242KB, 389x193px
>>8987245
You are rusing us, yes? On the off chance you are not: you suck. You need to read a lot more. And, a lot more good stuff, not shit stuff, because right now you read like the most stereotypical modern-day pulp writer of all time.

>A pain in the neck. Literally
>“Hey, asshole”
Do not do this. It ruins your tone and it does not add anything, all for the sake of """humour""". Even if you want to add humour, or you want some kind of contrast between the flippant hero and super serious situation, there are infinite ways to do it better. As it is the whiplash is hollow, even if you intended it.

>I say, defiantly
>he smirked cruelly
>I barked back
Do not do this, either. While you should always understand that there are NO rules to writing, perhaps it would help you to bear in mind the "cut out adverbs and adjectives" rule. LESS IS MORE. Prose like this has little to no impact. "He smirked" would have done—better, at least.

It also has an awful singsong see-sawing about it. "He said, X-ing" "I said, X-ing" "he said, X-ing".

Your tenses are fucked. I think this is probably deliberate. It is good to be ambitious, in honesty, but you've fucked it up; it's too noticeable. Practice will even it out, but specifically ensure each time you change tenses you're doing it for a good reason. Remember that less is more. Oh, and if you DIDN'T do it on purpose—focus like fuck on getting your tenses consistent. A hold on basic English is essential.

Yeah, I'd say your main flaw is you try to do WAY too much, when less would be better. Like
>startled, he howled in trepidation
is three things in five words. You could have just said "he howled", and it would have been much more effective.

And there's this constant "doing this thing, I did this other completely unrelated thing". This is distracting, and involves some parsing, which can be used to good effect /when you want to/, and in moderation, but which sucks if you do it all the fucking time.

You're amateurish. You suck, you really suck. There's only one way to solve this, I'm afraid. Work.

Read good shit, and write, a lot. So continue writing your story, or write new ones, but also start reading good literature. The kind of literature that's memed outside the general, AND some of the better stuff here (Wolfe, Worm Ouroboros).
>>8987253
'sup Lewis, didn't know you were still shitposting about.
>>
>>8987383
Is Dance the largest?
>>
>>8987400

I enjoyed Dance a lot though after thinking about it, it was only Daenerys chapters which were shit, everything happening in the north was awesome.
>>
>>8987407
>Daenerys chapters which were shit

shocker
>>
>>8987407
I always liked Danys chapters. But, then again, I was thirteen, and...
>>
>>8987414

I really hope Martin kills her off in Winds, she's got absolutely no story left and I think he's struggling a little with her character, I think he originally planned to do it in Kings but she's become too popular of a character and there would probably be a massive backlash from normie fans if he did. I would do it just for that. Also we've got based Aegon now who is significantly more interesting than Daenerys.

>>8987413

Same but Daenery's chapters stopped being fun after she settled into the slaving city and decided to be a ruler. They were a lot better when she was just wandering around Essos.
>>
>>8987433

>Also we've got based Aegon now who is significantly more interesting than Daenerys.

He's just a Blackfyre pretender and will ignite a Dance Of Dragons 2.0 and then get rekt.
>>
File: 9P8g2spAgBVM.jpg (3MB, 3201x2400px) Image search: [Google]
9P8g2spAgBVM.jpg
3MB, 3201x2400px
>>8987215
What are some good books with animal protagonists?
>>
File: fallen_by_spiralhorizon-d7qa1ug.jpg (72KB, 1024x563px) Image search: [Google]
fallen_by_spiralhorizon-d7qa1ug.jpg
72KB, 1024x563px
SHAEÖNANRA
>>
File: 145834614416745.jpg (2MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
145834614416745.jpg
2MB, 2560x1600px
>>8987149
>teenager act like teenager
>lacking wisdom, driven by impulse and emotions
Wew. Doing otherwise he would be our character, perfect automata, so common in fantasy infested with Mary Sues.

Martin deserves props for:
1. Making him act like that.
2. Letting him fall because of that, no free passes for "good boys".
>>
>>8987463
The Sight and Fell by David Clement-Davies
>>
>>8987480

Yes but don't you think he went a little too far? Like he was trying so hard to make the point that honor and justice get you killed that he went overboard and made him into a total fucking retard?

Also let's be honest, Robb was never gonna survive the war. Roose would have betrayed him sooner or later, same with Walder marriage or not.
>>
The worst thing about Patrick Rothfuss' series is that being hopelessly friendzoned is presented as a heroic trait, but the thing that bothered me the most is the idea of a society that doesn't believe in a connection between fucking and pregnancy. That shit is just too dumb to fathom I mean god damn.

Anyway, I just finished His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik and it was tremendous fun. It's about the Napoleonic Wars, but with dapper gentlemen riding dragons. Has anyone read it? Is the rest of the series as good as the first book?
>>
>>8987389
yes it was a trole

I REMAIN, A MASTER RUSEMAN

great critique tho
>>
>>8987718
>The worst thing about Patrick Rothfuss' series is that being hopelessly friendzoned is presented as a heroic trait,

I know right? It's almost like it probably happened to the author a shitload of times in real life and so he had to either rationalize it by turning the fedora up to eleven or go insane.
>>
>>8987689
>and made him into a total fucking retard?
Yet with another author we can easily imagine that good boy defeats ebil Lannisters and coming on top. Even if he is too romantic and noble for his own good. Because he is a good boy. Maybe with "hard lessions" on the way just hard enough to groom him into Kingship. But nope, too good to be true.
>>
>>8987463
Tailchaser's Song - Tad Williams if you want a story about kitty cats
>>
>>8987748
>It's almost like it probably happened to the author a shitload of times in real life and so he had to either rationalize it by turning the fedora up to eleven or go insane.
It is crystally obvious. What would you expect from classic AD&D geek?
>>
>>8987689
>Roose would have betrayed him sooner or later
If Robb didn't make half of those mistakes he Roose would not have dared to betray him. Roose wasn't just Tywin's puppet he was a careful opportunist who saw all of Robbs weaknesses and decided to switch sides while he still could.
>>
>>8987463
Watership Down my lil nigga, first last and always
>>
>>8987718
>idea of a society that doesn't believe in a connection between fucking and pregnancy.
Pretty common among primitives, actually.
>>
File: IMG_20170117_173346.jpg (894KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170117_173346.jpg
894KB, 1200x1600px
Fuggin genius coming through
>>
>>8987463
Redwall Series by Brian Jacques

https://www.goodreads.com/series/51930-redwall-chronological-order
>>
>>8987463
Wind in the Willows
>>
Do Elantrians shit?
>>
>>8987383
Must be Harry Potter! Order of the Phoenix a shit, even with Fred and George and Peeves's shenanigans to liven it up.
>>
>>8987149
The Starks are utter retards. It's amazing how I went to hating Joffrey because he caused one of the direwolfs to die, to having him as my favorite character in the whole series, just because of his constant tormenting of Sansa. Seriously, fuck that bitch. Jon Snow can go to hell, too. Ramsay Bolton should sit on the Iron Throne at this point.
>>
>>8987893
Only once.
>>
>>8987941
Beric Dondarrion was the only character I really liked desu
>>
>>8987718
>being hopelessly friendzoned is presented as a heroic trait
...by Kvothe. Seems like every other person I see complaining about this series forgets it has a biased narrator.
>>
File: 1459447946426.jpg (51KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1459447946426.jpg
51KB, 1024x576px
>>8987242
My fellow Patrician. I stopped reading Cain so I could read the Black Company. I liked Dreams of Steel a lot, the Croaker chapters especially due to Soulcatcher's relationship with Croaker. I just wish it was expanded upon more.

As for quality? It's a bit of a bumpy ride. Murgen is the Annalist of the next two books but everyone feels a bit more bitter to me. Croaker calls Lady his dearly beloved, but I can't help but feel it comes off sarcastic compared to Soldier's Live. Murgen's books are also the ones said to cause the most confusion. I may simply think everyone is bitter thanks to a reddit post.

Sleepy and Croaker are the Annalists for the last two and I really welcomed Sleepy's presence and her way of writing the Annals. It's also interesting because she's the first religious character whom we get some real perspective on. Croaker is just as good as in Soldier's Live and his love for Lady comes off as more genuine than it did in Murgen's.

Some spoilers below, but my thoughts on the quality of the series after Dreams of Steel.

I will say this. Though there are some somewhat major spoilers ahead.

I feel the series would have been better off the north. The series always had some high fantasy to it, but I feel things go over the top when Cook starts mixing in Kina and whatnot. I preferred the setting of the North as well and don't like the fact that there are other worlds, but that's simply my personal preference. However, the stupidest part of the series comes near the end of Soldier's Live when Lady says that her mother was the basis for Sleeping Beauty. I honestly wish the Company had just gone on to find another contract or stayed in the North and tried to make it look like Lady still had a shred of power. In addition, the band of brother's feel is kinda dead after White Rose.
>>
>>8988014
Shit, double posted the spoilers bit. I was doing some editing and the text box is small. My mistake.
>>
>>8987968
Based Jaime and Stannis are the only characters I actually like and they're probably both about to die.
>>
>>8987991
It has a biased narrator because it is shitty patrick rothfuss self insert and as self-insert, he brings his own biases
>>
>>8988043
Qyburn is pretty based niggers.
>>
Why is Dune Messiah so dreadfully boring?
I blazed through Dune in 3 days, but this shit is taking me a week and I'm only halfway through. Are further books even worth it?
>>
>>8988145
Because nothing really happens.
>>
>>8987941
>not wishing for the white walkers to win because everything in the books are shit.
>>
>>8988145

I liked the book but from memory its pretty much just an epilogue to Dune and Pauls death/ What i felt was Herbert writing himself out of a bit of a dead end
>>
>>8987215
is it possible for lovecraftian horror to exist in a medieval fantasy setting?
any examples of this, or sci-fi mixing with fantasy, done well?
>>
>>8988145
Dune Messiah is the best book in the series you plebeian.
>not enjoying Scytale
>not enjoying Gaius Helen Mohilam
>not enjoying that navigator guy
>not enjoying seeing the way a prophet can ruin a proud and noble culture
>not enjoying the way prophecy traps the prophet in a single deterministic track
You might just be a faggot my man.
>>
>>8988210
Whom of these boring sci-fi archetypes am I supposed to enjoy, again? Dune was a story of humans with human problems, in Messiah literally everybody is some fucking special snowflake hopped up on spice to see premonitions of premonitions of premonitions of premonitions. The only vaguely interesting character is Duncan's ghola
>>
Since it's quickly become apparent that I have completely and utterly failed at being a programmer, how hard is it to make a living as a fantasy writer?
>>
Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser is so fucking good.
>>
>>8988244
Harder than being a programmer
>>
>>8988256
then suicide it is
>>
>>8988244
There are like 200 (optimistic estimate) fiction writers in the world right now make living with their writing alone. How many people make a living with programming? Weign your chances
>>
>>8988244

>Programming
>Hard

Are you the low iq anon who has like 60 IQ or something?
Did you ever finish Malazan?
>>
>>8988014
What are your thoughts on the Dread Empire series? (no relation to Dread Empire's Fall)

I felt like it was very much a prototype of Black Company, but retained a lot of the stuff in the first trilogy. Also had some great imagery IIRC like the ancient wizard rigging his tower to drop a health potion on him if he woke from hibernation, and the giant flying fetus.
>>
>>8987718
>>8987748
>>8987991
But it's pretty obvious that is not just Kvothe that makes the friend zone mistake Denna is doing the exact same thing and they are both just retards that want more but don't want to fuck up what they have.
>>
>>8988278
I haven't read any of Cook's other works or Malazan I'm afraid.
>>
>>8988270
no, I'm somewhere between around 127. I'm actually pretty decent at programming the issue is getting a job.

I lost my first job after three months for bullshit reasons. (I finished work too quickly and didn't have anything to do so people thought I wasn't doing any work.) and since then I've been job hunting.

I had two good opportunities over the past 5 months that should have lead somewhere but didn't: one where I was the top candidate but then they decided they needed to hire someone to train new hirees first, and then another place that said they wanted to hire me then just ghosted me and ignored my emails

Now I'm almost 5 months out of work and now it's starting to affect my hirability
>>
File: Cosmere.jpg (56KB, 537x540px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmere.jpg
56KB, 537x540px
>>8987230
I'm actually reading Prometheus Rising right now.
>>
File: RevengeOfTheSithNovel.jpg (208KB, 625x1030px) Image search: [Google]
RevengeOfTheSithNovel.jpg
208KB, 625x1030px
Pic related is great. Fight me canonfags.
>>
>>8988335
Don't give up senpai. I was basically unemployed for 2 years after uni (other than a short lived clerical job), until I finally grabbed a part-time data entry position that I saw in the local paper. Sysadmin after 6 months. Besides, writing's hard...
>>
>>8988459
Not read it but Caine is based so I'll take your word for it.
>>
>>8988335
>I lost my first job after three months for bullshit reasons. (I finished work too quickly and didn't have anything to do so people thought I wasn't doing any work.)

Maybe tell the boss that?

That's fucking retarded to do on the part of the boss
>firing your most productive employee because he's too productive
>>
>>8988505
I did, but he implied it might have just been because they found me annoying
>>
>>8988335
>low level professional
>finish all your work
>watch anime videos on youtube instead of asking for more work and any way you can help

You may, may just have a 127 IQ, but that doesn't mean you can't be a retard.
>>
>>8988549
you're the retard assuming I didn't ask for more work. I did. Constantly. barely got anything
>>
>>8987863
The chapters on the Whorl are so sad.
>>
>>8988170
Book of the New Sun.
>>
anyone have torrent links for the discworld series?
>>
>>8988624

yes
>>
>>8988624
no
>>
>>8988624
maybe
>>
>>8988624
i don't know
>>
Thoughts on the Night Angel trilogy?
>>
>>8988048
And you base this one what? The fact that the character is arrogant and self-aggrandizing? Are you really that stupid?
>>
>>8988624

could you repeat the question?
>>
just found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AjmhkyxHM0

really fascinating in-depth discussion of Iain M Banks and the Culture novels. Good stuff.
>>
>>8988709

It's pretty great.
Don't listen to the memers who only have "LOL SO EDGY@!!!!!!" to say about it.
>>
>>8988709
>>8988723
I dropped it after the edginess of the first page, so I feel like that's about all I'm entitled to say about it. When you start your book with 12 year olds getting forcibly dressed as girls and raped by slightly bigger 12 year olds, I feel like it's a valid criticism.
>>
>>8988739
>I feel like it's a valid criticism.

Well no matter how you FEEL like, it's not valid criticism.
>>
>>8988715
Always waiting for this one.
>>
>>8988638
>>8988687
care to share the link?

>>8988715
anyone have torrent links for the discworld series?
>>
>>8988765
>care to share the link?

no
>>
>>8987863

Just making my way through Citadel of the Autarch right now. How does Long Sun and Short Sun compare?
>>
>>8988777
Great. Much simpler language, but much more emotionally impactful stories.
>>
>>8988743
No? Why not?
>>
>>8988790

Find it yourself
>>
>>8988266
completely untrue
>>
>>8988790

Because you're basing your entire opinion of the book on literally the first few pages
>>
>>8987991

I keep seeing the "biased narrator" argument used to defend Kvothe's mary-sueness (particularly in Wise Man's Fear) and the problem with that is if it is true then it's incredibly poorly executed. If Rothfuss is indeed consciously writing Kvothe as biased then there should be nods to the reader indicating that Kvothe is full of shit or inflating his own ego. There's none of that self awareness though, the writer isn't in on the joke with the reader, instead we are meant to take what Kvothe says at face value and without contradiction. Best case scenario Rothfuss tried to do unreliable narrator but failed because he's not skilled enough, worst (and most likely) scenario he wrote Kvothe as a self insert, dick in hand, and got too carried away.
>>
>>8988765
>>>/r/
>>>/t/
We read only the finest baby seal bound leather books here. Copyright isn't a renewable resource, get educated.
>>
>>8988806
The opening scene is supposed to set the mood for the entire novel.
>>
>>8988823

No it's not
>>
>>8988823
If it's legal in my state, can I have some of what you're smoking?
>>
>>8988806
Yeah, and my opinion is that judging by what I did read, the rest of the book wasn't worth finishing, because of how edgy the start is. I'm not trying to provide an objective overview of the whole novel, I'm describing my experience with it.
>>
>>8988777
Long Sun isn't as good as New Sun, but Short Sun is just as good if not better in some ways.
>>
>>8988720
Okay Dave, I'll give it a listen.

>>8988723
Sell me on it.
>>
>>8989188
>Sell me on it.

It's great.
Read it.
>>
Hi.

My name's Anonymous, and I have 70 star wars novels.
>>
>>8989195
Hi Anonymous.
>>
>>8989195
I wanted to disparage you, but I just counted about the same number of Cherryh novels.
>>
Is there a subgenre name or something for "engineering" sf/f?
What I mean by that are basically "building cool shit" books, be it due to time/dimension travel and subsequent technology transfer, genius engineer/scientist protagonists (I don't particularly mind Mary Sues if done decently well), throwing money at problems or even basic ingenuity (e.g. making the most of scarce resources, like in a (post-) apoc setting).

I somehow fucking love these types of story but finding them is pretty fucking difficult, especially since they can be written in a bunch of different genres and there don't seem to be any tags/etc to search for on the usual sites.

If anyone has recommendations I'd appreciate those, too, even though I suspect that I've read the majority of the available material, no matter how trashy.
>>
>>8989283
Seems like you've read plenty of Stephenson and Larry&Jerry then. Why don't you rec what you've read?
>>
File: The_Flying_Sorcerers.jpg (24KB, 236x400px) Image search: [Google]
The_Flying_Sorcerers.jpg
24KB, 236x400px
>>8989283
Some technology transfer. Entire village builds a blimp (or hot air balloon, I forget), including logistic considerations for same. Impact on local economy and customs.
First half is more comedy, most of the things listed occur in the second half.
>>
File: Island_in_the_Sea_of_Time.jpg (46KB, 287x499px) Image search: [Google]
Island_in_the_Sea_of_Time.jpg
46KB, 287x499px
>>8989283
Nantucket sucked into the distant past, must rebuild civilization to survive.
>>
>>8989283
Sounds like you should read The Martian
>>
>>8989283
The latter ones used to be popular in the 50s as I recall and would probably fall under the Robinsonade category. I think Christopher Anvil wrote a few. The Martian is the only recent one I know of.
>>
File: Hestia.jpg (109KB, 384x640px) Image search: [Google]
Hestia.jpg
109KB, 384x640px
>>8989283
Civil engineer forced to choose between ungrateful colonists and catgirl waifus.
>>
That's it. I'm spent.
>>
>>8988807
Except Kvothe isn't an unreliable narrator, or rather he isn't any more unreliable than other first person narrators. I'm getting the impression that you aren't very good at grasping subtlety, which is why you jumped immediately to shlocky self-aware unreliable narrator when I said that he's biased. As if that were the only possible way to write a biased narrator. Kvothe is telling a story, that's the central conceit of the novel obviously but what it means is that we are not getting some pure, unvarnished truth in his narration. It's not a flow of real experiences as they are happening in real time. It's Kvothe sitting at a table talking to a biographer, picking and choosing which parts of his life he wants to talk about and fussing over how he should describe things. If you are not constantly aware that everything you read through Kvothe's perspective is a deliberate contrivance on his part then you are frankly reading the book entirely wrong. If you take everything Kvothe says at face value and that he's being objective, despite the conceit of the novel interrupting the narrative multiple times to remind you this isn't the case, then you are for lack of a better term, a moron.
>>
>>8989331
This includes a special treat for /pol/ posters, doubly so if they happen also to be leopards.
>>
>>8989354

None of what you say changes the fact that the story dictated by Kvothe the Biased/Rothfuss goes beyond mary-sue into another galaxy, to the point of unintentional ridicule. If the events conveyed by the narrator are so eye-rolling as to break immersion and make the reader wonder if the character is a self insert then sorry but the author has failed in creating a good biased narrative - there is such a thing as taking it too far. Unless of course this is all a master plan by Rothfuss and the next book will call Kvothe on all of his bullshit in-text, something I sincerely hope for since it would somewhat redeem the hours I spent forging through that self wanking trash-pile Wise Man's Fear
>>
>>8988712
his goodreads profile makes it obvious
>>
>>8988298
more like that's what she tells him to bait him along
>>
so I'm reading through the book of the new sun and I don't understand, why is this a science fiction? Feels more like a fantasy novel
>>
Any cool books with a little girl as the protagonist?
>>
>>8988709
Boys play pretend to be hardcore. If you want to go so edgy you should not drag moral faggotry with that. In such harsh environment everything would degenerate and became rude and savage. Breaks suspension of believe. Mains heroes are too soft for this world and out of touch from it.
>>
>>8988765
Its like first link in google
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/10591684/Discworld_Collection_by_Terry_Pratchett
>>
>>8989562
little red riding hood.
>>
>>8989522
That's the fun.
>>
>>8989572

>spoonfeeding idiots

Please don't
>>
>>8989283
Arthur Clark's The Fountains of Paradise immediately jump to mind.
>>
File: Wolf_brother.jpg (12KB, 250x383px) Image search: [Google]
Wolf_brother.jpg
12KB, 250x383px
>>8987463
Chronicles of Ancient Darkness counts.

Been ages since I read it, though, so maybe it sucks.
>>
>>8987874
Mein nigger. These books are so comfy, especially when Jacques describes the food.
>>
>>8987215
Not even gonna try to sugarcoat it. What is some pol tier novels that are a decent read
>>
>>8989634
The Forever War and Starship Troopers
>>
>“So, how can I understand the Name of the Wind™, the True Essence of All Things?” asked Kvothe, feeling whimsical.
>His mentor raised an eyebrow and grinned. Then he raised the other eyebrow, and his grin widened. “Isn't it obvious, my dear Kvothe? Come to my secret special place tomorrow, and bring a pen and a pillow!”
>Then he sauntered away, while flashing a grin.

>Curious as to what might require both a pen and a pillow, and how these two could interact across a matrix of energestical lines that could interface with the local thamauthurgical ethauamtopic ley lines as they were criss crossing the noosphere of the localized negentropy generating life forms, Kvothe whimsically prepared for his next day. Oh, if only he, like his friends, could afford actual pillows and actual pens! But unfortunately, he was very much poor, and had a great misadventure securing the needed supplies for his mentor's grand time. But that's for another story. You couldn't possibly understand it anyway.

>The next day, after grandstanding and elaborating and lying a bit about his adventures the night before that we have just skipped over, Kvothe entered the secret place of his mentor, pillow in hand.

>His mentor promptly proceeded to wave his arms about, grinning all the while.

>“Be welcome, master Kvothe! Have a seat on this special chair that I imported from the lands of the Sidthenri... and get ready for your test! And indeed, I do say test. You have three hours, only that pen, and you must fill out these thousand pages on the old religious interactions of manuscripts and how that all relates to the cycle of the moon while making sure your theoretical application of matrix bending snorklidorkphilorp celestial mechanics is accurate! Toodlepip!”

>And so, grinning, he left, his grin lingering in the room momentarily, like a predatory cat.

>Kvothe bent to his task…

>Interlude: A Interlude of One Part

>The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts. The most obvious part was a hollow, echoing quiet, made by things that were lacking. If there had been a wind it would have made a noise, but there wasn't one, so it didn't. If there had been a crowd, even a handful of men inside the inn, they would have made a noise, but there wasn't any, so they didn't. If there had been music… etc.

>“So this is how you became known as Test Taker?” Chronicler said, grinning.
>“Yes, but if you tell anyone, I will gut you like a fish and wear your skin as a suit” Kvothe replied, fondling a fishing knife Bast had supplied at that very moment. Along the hilt of the fishing knife was one word: Folly.

>>
What is a good and lighthearted book about magic and people becoming magicians? I am reading the fourteenth book in Asprin's Mythadventures series and I just keep getting teased by explanations of magic, hints at there being more, but he never goes in all the way - Skeeve keeps on being a novice. These books are great though, I'm loving the humour
>>
>>8989699
Equal Rites
>>
>>8989707
This looks really good, it even has a pun in its name! Thank you!
>>
>>8989699
Try Wizard of Earthsea
>>
File: Author Burglar.png (1MB, 1000x720px) Image search: [Google]
Author Burglar.png
1MB, 1000x720px
>our intellectual thieves are back again
I really do love you guys, without all the wannabes, autists, people that can't read subtlety, etc. There would be no memes for the rest of us.

go in the fucking corner and cry about my shitty way of making memes
>>
>>8988777
They are great. I feel like Wolfe finished the short sun expecting that he would die soon after, there is such a sense of loss and futility running through it. Especially when you contrast it with severian who is more of a typical virile fantasy protagonist it makes a more satisfying end to the whole 11(or 12, whatever) book cycle.
>>
File: 1481497095274.jpg (433KB, 1680x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1481497095274.jpg
433KB, 1680x1260px
>>8990188
How's the Catholicism in short sun?
>>
>>8990188
Nice. Some chapters I'm just like "yeah I know Severian, every woman sleeps with you, you love 8 different woman at the same time, each woman you meet is compared in logical progression to every woman before, you remember everything, you run away like a bitch but that isn't actually the reason why you ran away, you can kill anything with a little punch to the nose, including a giant former Autarch who nearly wrecked you for being an ass etc."
>>
>>8987215
Why is a white guy leading an Asian army?
>>
I want a book where I can fall in love with the characters again T_T
>>
File: Bearwet.jpg (497KB, 1920x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Bearwet.jpg
497KB, 1920x1152px
>>8990616
the Witcher. Shit prose, shit pace, but you'll fall in love with every single female in the story (or male if you're a poof)
>>
What fantasy outside Tolkien has the best sieges?
>>
Could someone recommend me something like Conan, except it being in more detail rather than with lots of time skips and starting when the hero wasn't yet good at what he does. What I'm looking for is globetrotting adventure without any other supporting heroes outside of one-off team-ups, so that feeling of freedom is important. And maybe a little more perceivable growth and development of the character into a lethal man of note. It can be in a world of magic or alien planets, both are fine.
>>
>>8990626
already read it. I want more.
>>
>>8990234
I dunno, manageable? I didn't pick up on it in the new sun until I read urth though, maybe you have a better sensitivity to it.
>>8990442
I believe you are supposed to catch him out on being full of it. What that means for the rest of the narrative is hard to say.
>>
What are some good books that involve the main character transforming into something else?
>>
File: Midnight_at_the_Well_of_Souls.jpg (139KB, 450x736px) Image search: [Google]
Midnight_at_the_Well_of_Souls.jpg
139KB, 450x736px
>>8991023
You'll be wanting this then.
>>
File: 845501.jpg (136KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
845501.jpg
136KB, 309x475px
What's your favorite of the three?
>>
>>8991023
Do you want ongoing transformation or the character just being different things at different points?

>>8991091
Holy shit, this looks awesome. Is this adventure? Is the captain a lovable out of luck rogue or an asshole with skills?
>>
Someone know a good read with a possessed item that's forcing the bearer into an epic quest? I particularly enjoy this stuff when it's coupled with a modern setting and comedy, but fantasy setting and seriousness works too.
>>
>>8991166
Either/or, as long as it's good.
>>
>>8991166
>Holy shit, this looks awesome. Is this adventure? Is the captain a lovable out of luck rogue or an asshole with skills?
Not as much as this cover would suggest (I love you Baen), it's technically SciFi. The Captain is more of a universe weary stick-in-the-mud that has to learn to care again.
>>
>>8991288

>Female centaur

Wow
I guess I will have to read it too now
>>
>>8991325
I presented it once as "Hot centaur action", and an anon bought it, but never said if he enjoyed it.
>>
>>8991023
Dark Intelligence (Transformation, #1)
by Neal Asher

The book is okay, has 2 main characters with transformations, one described in a very very graphic manner.
>>
>>8991355

Did you enjoy it?
>>
>>8991205
uh... lord of the rings?
>>
>>8991405
It was fun enough, yes. I have a rather high tolerance for schlock though.
>>
anyone here read the disposessed by Le Guin?
>>
>>8991529
yeah it's great. very utopian and anarchistic.
>>
>>8989283
The Three Body Problem and it's sequels have plenty of that.
>>
>>8989429
>buy wise man's fear
>don't really know rothfuss, but have a hankering for fantasy
>drop it after three chapters
Awful. It's the kind of book that made me remember why I stopped reading fantasy for almost a decade. What you think is charm while you're leafing through the pages in the bookstore is just obnoxious and masterbatory when you actually sit down and start to read it. And then you realize there's another 800 pages of this asshole.
>>
File: IMG_6620.jpg (263KB, 987x845px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6620.jpg
263KB, 987x845px
>>8991642
>starting with the second book of a series
Why?
>>
>>8991689
because that's not the one I bought, but I actually don't give enough of a shit to stand up and look at the title.

It's starts with him at school, so I'm assuming it's the first one here. The result is the same.
>>
>>8991399
Thanks dude, I'll give it a look.
>>
File: 1470122230823.jpg (26KB, 500x268px) Image search: [Google]
1470122230823.jpg
26KB, 500x268px
>>8991642
>don't read fantasy for a decade
>start back with Rothfuss
>>
>>8991812
What would you suggest?
>>
File: Animorphs.jpg (29KB, 259x386px) Image search: [Google]
Animorphs.jpg
29KB, 259x386px
>Sorry, 9th Squad, a deadly killer in the guise of a young girl

Did you trick me /lit/ ? does Malazan turn into Anime
>>8991023
>>
>>8991812
Without knowing anything else I'd always rec Steven Erikson with minimal reservation.
>>
>>8991851
meant for >>8991819
>>
File: idunno.jpg (41KB, 620x406px) Image search: [Google]
idunno.jpg
41KB, 620x406px
>>8991812
It was an impulse buy in a 2nd hand book shop for 3 bucks. One that wasn't english, by the way, so I had a selection of about 100 books, and half of them where eat pray love.
>>
>>8991205
what, like Stormbringer kind of thing?
>>
>>8991851

Why? He would quit reading at felishit and say the same thing he's saying now
>>
>>8991205
The woods out back by RA Salvatore
>>
I punched a hole in the wall when I had been reading felicunt shit for a while, I almost dropped the book but I'm not a quitter so I went on, I figure this amount of self control I exhibited made me a better person in the long run

So yeah actually I would recommend Malazan too.
>>
>>8991905
>>8991911
Is this some sort of meme? Felisin is really whiney but she's not THAT bad.
>>
>>8991924
>she's not THAT bad.

She is a demonspawn right from hell
second hand of the devil that horrible, horrible creature
>>
>>8991924
Didn't she betray the people trying to help her and basically get everyone killed?
>>
>>8988481
Well fuck, it looks like I'm going to have to agree with somebody.
>>
>>8991523
Schlock used to mean fun in sci-fi and predictable in fantasy, now it means teenage fanfiction-tier. What happened? Where did all the good schlock writers go?
>>
>>8991440
As in an item with a prominent personality and direct interaction, should have specified.

>>8991901
How prominent is the item? What does it do?

>>8991910
I've read some of his stuff, not really to my liking. Is all of his books the same mid-grade Warcraftian action?
>>
>>8992030
>This powerful enchanted black blade is a member of a demon race that takes on the form of a sword, and as such is an agent of Chaos. Stormbringer's edge is capable of cutting through virtually any material not protected by potent sorcery, and it can drink the soul from (and thereby kill) an unprotected human upon delivering any wound, even a scratch. Its most distinctive features are that it has a mind and will of its own, and that it feeds upon the souls of those it kills. Elric loathes the sword but is almost helpless without the strength and vitality it confers on him.

>Stormbringer's hunger for souls is such that it frequently betrays Elric by creating a bloodlust in his mind, turning in his hands and killing friends and lovers. The cursed nature of the sword adds to Elric's guilt and self-loathing, even as he feels pleasure when the stolen lifeforce enters his body.
>>
>>8992008
They died :(
>>
>>8992030
>I've read some of his stuff, not really to my liking. Is all of his books the same mid-grade Warcraftian action?
yeah, probably. to be honest, i got the german translation out of a bargain bin once and never really read it. i wanted to, but what i've read since didn't impress me
>>
>>8988170
Yes
http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/proc/shp/shp15.htm
>>
>>8992043
>Stormbringer's edge
You got that right. So it's not even the fun kind of evil sword, just a glutton.

>>8992101
Did you read "Die Zwerge"? Everyone's telling me it's supposedly the best modern thing from German fantasy.
>>
>>8992177
i generally avoid any book with a fantasy species in the title. although i have seen it.
>>
>>8988601
I agree. Why did you think so?
>>
i have no mouth and i must scream
>>
Has anyone read the wonderland gambit series by Jack l. Chalker? I really enjoyed it and the mind fuck it presented in the idea of worlds inside worlds of vr. I was wondering if anyone knew of something similar.

Also, what was with the maddox coin at the end?
>>
>>8992238
Because they are about a man moving through his afterlife.
>>
>>8990642
>It can be in a world of magic or alien planets
if you like trashy novels, try warlock of the magus world.
>>
>>8991696
thats the 2nd one

dont worry, we all agree it's still shitty tho
>>
Name your favorite Malazan character. It's either Karsa or Cotillion for me.
>>
>>8992667
Fiddler
>>
>>8992667
I like Anomander Rake because he's intelligent, nihilistic, and has a wicked sense of humor just like me.
>>
>>8992667
Too many good characters.
Kruppe, Tehol, Bugg, and Iskaral Pust of course.
Hellian is cool.
Trull Sengar.
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 783x1024px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 783x1024px
Is there something wrong with me?
Severian retelling thecla & dommine's story really left this unplesant feeling in me and that shit going down in the hut made me feel more uncomfortable
>>
>>8989634
The Turner Diaries.
>>
Has anyone here ever given up on a story because they just couldn't write it well enough to do it justice? I feel like no matter what I do to this story it just gets worse and every day the amount I need to fix gets greater and greater.

A month or two ago it was 70% finished and 10% needed to be re-written. Now it's 40% finished and 30% needs to be re-written
>>
>>8992739
It's almost as if Severian is carefully leaving some details out...
>>
>>8989522
It takes place millions of years in the future after humans have colonized distant planets but civilization has collapsed. There's lots of sci-fi elements but since technology has regressed so much Severian can't recognize them. For example in the first book, the building where all the torturers live is actually an abandoned space ship and in the picture gallery, the picture of the "knight" is actually the Apollo space landing.
>>
>>8992759
>Has anyone
everyone with taste or attempted taste, so you're in good company
>>
>>8992739
Stuff is revealed in BotNS after the fact, and not all the details are given as events are happening. Remember, Wolfe doesn't lie to you, but the same doesn't go for his characters.
>>
>>8992797
but in the end good stories do get written and published and I'm just sitting here too ashamed of my writing to try and improve it
>>
>>8992275
That's gotta be frustrating
>>
>>8992275

[screams internally]
>>
>>8992810
read more and write more, the only solution
>>
>>8992759
>>8992797
>>8992810
>>8992861
I'm not the anon who posted about it already, but this exchange is making me feel better.

I'm going to be the next Fritz fucking Lieber. WEIRD PULP BUDDY FANTASY ADVENTURE WITH A DASH OF HUMOR, HERE I COME!
>>
>>8992881
I'm glad someone could benefit. Complacency may be the most powerful emotion, overcoming the powers of love, hate, fear, greed and hope

I really need a grey lantern ring
>>
File: 1482434482030-r9k.jpg (107KB, 500x688px) Image search: [Google]
1482434482030-r9k.jpg
107KB, 500x688px
>>8987463
White fang
>>
File: 24157805.jpg (36KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
24157805.jpg
36KB, 314x475px
holy shit
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24157805-white-jade-reaper
>BECAUSE SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO FIGHT FIRE WITH HELLFIRE, THERE’S CAINE DEATHWALKER, RAISED AS A DEMON, ARMED LIKE A GUN MERCHANT, AND FUELED BY BOOZE. NICE IS A DIRTY WORD AND KILLING IS WHAT HE DOES BEST. MAKE A CONTRACT WITH HELL, AND HE COULD BE ON YOUR SIDE, GOD HELP YOU.

>IN THE WHITE JADE REAPER:

>DRACULA WANTS HIS COFFIN BACK. CAINE’S ON THE JOB. ONE HITCH, A LITTLE GHOST GIRL IS HAUNTING HIS DREAMS, WANTING HIM TO FIND HER KILLER, TOO. NO PROBLEM; WHAT’S ONE MORE BODY AMONG THOSE THAT KEEP PILING UP? SINCE DEALING WITH THE DEAD ISN’T HIS THING, CAINE REUNITES WITH AN OLD FRIEND WHO’S A LIVING DOORWAY INTO THE GHOST REALM. GRACE BRINGS ALONG TWO CHAPERONES: MADISON, A VAMPIRE SLAYER IN TRAINING AND TUKKA, A TWO TON FU DOG ADDICTED TO CHOCOLATE.

>SANTA FE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME.
>>
>>8992999
Good, Santa Fe sucks.
>>
>>8992999
>morgan blayde
>>
>>8992999
>Morgan Blayde
Jesus Christ why pick that for your pen name? That's like some 12 year old's Deviant Art handle.
>>
>>8992667
Karsa witness
>>
>read Book of the New Sun, Fifth Head of Cerberus, The Dying Earth, Neuromancer, ASOIAF, Blindsight, Farseer, Never Let Me Go, Permutation City, Forever War and The First Law

>can't get into other fantasy/sci-fi because nothing is as good as the above

Feels bad man
>>
>>8992999
Jesus, it's like someone read the Sandman Slim books and decided they needed to be edgier
>>
>>8988170
Not a book, but the game Darkest Dungeon managed to very well atmospherically with a medieval Lovecraft setting
>>
>>8992667
Pretty much any of the important characters in Midnight Tides.

That's as far as I've read Malazan and I don't intend to go further because there's no way the latter books will be even half as good as MT was.
>>
>>8993250
Crazy talk.
>>
>>8992999
>avg. score 4.16
>592 ratings

Remind me why Goodreads hasn't been shut down yet
>>
>>8993294
seriously?

No wonder everything it recommends to me sucks dicks
>>
>>8993294
Yeah goodreads is fucking atrocious if you're looking for recommends or just plain old consensus on a book
>>
>>8993321
what do you suggest for recommendations then anon

serious question, I hate goodreads recs so fucking much
>>
>>8993321
where should I be looking, because right now my only choices are that and amazon's suggestions
>>
Man The Wheel of Time is just such a disappointment, mostly because it felt like it COULD have been good. Where did it fall apart, it felt to me like after the third book it just became shittier and shittier.
>>
>>8993325
I'm hesitant to recommend it, but I've been using the book barn subforum on something awful for nearly a decade.
>>
>>8990642
Maybe try John Carter or Tarzan. Burroughs was more straightforward than Howard.
>>
>>8993250
Dude, Reaper's Gale is basically Midnight Tides: Part 2 and god are the Malazans scary as fuck when you see them from the point of view of the Letherii
>>
>>8993321
>>8993325
Man what would you have done if you were born before the internet? Just not read anything? I swear being able to pick out new books is a lost art these days.
>>
>>8993327
I was ambivalent about it going in, but the end of the first book hooked me and it didn't really start to drag til book 5 I'd say, or whichever one Perrin was absent from. Book 9 was the first one I had a really hard time finishing after book 1 though. The whole Rescue Faile arc took way too damn long. Books really picked up once Sanderson took over though.
>>
>>8993389
Most of the books on my shelf are from hand-picking them at the store, actually.
I only asked because I use goodreads for keeping a nice, organized list of all my shit, but hate their recommendations.
>>
>>8993389

You'd browse the bookstore and pick whatever took your fancy.
>>
>>8993405
>tfw bookstores don't even exist anymore
>>
>>8993411
Plenty of Barnes & Nobles still open, plus those Amazon stores though I haven't been to one yet. Also local book sellers, though that varies depending on your location.
>>
>>8993327
I read the first book and it had some genuinely cool sections

But I can't help but feel that a good 30% of the book was just dull and repetitive travelogue

And apparently the pacing only gets worse after the first book..
>>
>>8993294
IMO It's because the reviewers are "fans" for the most part. Unless a book is outright terrible they probably won't give it a bad review because it caters to their desire for more "teen girl has to save the world in the apocalypse (free love triangle with purchase)" or "space marine monologues on how great the Republican Party/Ayn Rand is while shooting aliens."

Or take a long-running series like Honor Harrington for example, on the newest book the top reviews are mostly 1-3 star ratings, but it still sits at 4.07 because only TRUE FANS (#teamharrington) will be willing to keep reading through the 12 previous books.

It's the same issue with anime. Absolute shit like Sword Art Online, Code Geass, and the Fate series gets rated higher than actually good stuff like LOTGH because they cater to specific groups of looser nerds.
>>
>>8993422
MAL is about 50 times more reliable than goodreads honestly.
>>
>>8993420
The pacing is pretty fine for the first few books, but it does slow down dramatically later on. Mainly cause Jordan kept adding points of view and elaborating on characters' adventures that didn't really need any elaboration or focus. A good example is Nynaeve and Elayne's roadtrip across the southern continent. Absolutely nothing of note happened during it that made it worth taking up a third of a novel, you could have summarized everything they did in half a page.
>>
>>8993446
Goodreads is paid by "Goodreads Authors" to promote their works. MAL is foreign media so it's not subject to subversion.
>>
>>8993420
>>8993451
It felt like after book 3 Jordan stopped liking the series. Like he just kept going because of shekels rather than actually wanting to continue. There was a dramatic drop in quality around the fourth or fifth book.
>>
>>8993446
For the most part I agree, but they still do overrate some absolute garbage sometimes.
>>
>>8993460
I think he just got bogged down in details and didn't know how to stop. I bet he wished more than anything he could shake it up and do something weird with the next book but his editors were like "no, more of the same, and SLOWER dammit, it's not like you're gonna die before finishing them"
>>
>>8993294
at some point I think you learn to intuit the truth behind the scores based on what's being reviewed. The site has led more to me finding things I wouldn't have otherwise and with positive results more often than not.
>>
>>8993460
He invested so much time into constructing that world though. I think he genuinely loved his setting, if not what became of it.
>>
>>8993472
plus it let's me autismally catalogue as a substitute for an actual bookcase since going almost completely digital.
>>
>>8987215
See this post just says it all. You people would rather discuss fictional characters than Marxism which actually fucking influences the world and NEEDS to be taught and learnt.

You know what, fuck this juvenile board; I'm out.
>>
>>8993402
>Books really picked up once Sanderson took over though.
What. Sanderson tried but he absolutely failed. He butchered the last three novels. I'm still mad.
>>
>>8993456
Hell it seems like most of them don't even bother with that and just give away free copies and ARCs, we all know "I received this in exchange for a honest review, 5/5" is bullshit.

>>8993463
Again, True Fan Syndrome. They're just going to go and rate it 10 because it's CLAMP or whatever waifu wish fulfillment of the month, instead of casting a more critical eye on it.
>>
>>8993498
Political ideology is a spook. I won't miss you spook master.
>>
>>8993498
Rec us some comfy SFF that is full of Marxism senpai
>>
Any good fantasy books written more in an Asimov style? I've had just enough of "muh generic 'character building', look at this generic hero".
>>
>>8991936
Pretty much, instead of trying to see a way out at the start of her capture. She instead decided to say "fuck it let me be this guys whore and get hooked on drugs" when she could have escaped at any moment due to Tavore sending a Talon to get her out of it/keep her out of it. When the talon was asked why he didn't save her earlier he said that he cant save anyone that doesn't want to be saved.

She's a little ungrateful cunt and I suffered reading through her shit.
>>
>>8993510
I second this

Rec some leftist scifi
>>
File: aeronauts windlass.jpg (25KB, 613x192px) Image search: [Google]
aeronauts windlass.jpg
25KB, 613x192px
jim butcher btfo
>>
>>8993525
Culture series
>>
>>8993520
Ted Chiang Exhalation
>>
>>8992667
Tehol and Bugg
Karsa
Fiddler
Samar Dev
Kruppus
>>
>>8993532
Actually, scratch that. Almost all characters. Even Rhulad.
>>
>>8993195
>asoiaf
>good
>>
>>8993510
Eric Flint worked for the Socialist Worker's Party, dunno how much of it shows up in his work though. IIRC in the series where a American coal mining town gets sent back to 1600s Germany most of the main characters are union members, but again this is a coal mining town.
>>
So I have been using The Black Company series as something simple to listen to while working out. I'm confused however. Half the time this seems like a parody. I'm currently in mid book 3.
>>
>>8993553
xD
>>
>>8993570
Sounds like my kind of book. Any good?
>>
>>8993553
Neuromancer isn't particularly good either.

Hell I think he was baiting you mate.
>>
File: New_Gods.jpg (108KB, 575x314px) Image search: [Google]
New_Gods.jpg
108KB, 575x314px
guys and gals, do any have a recommendation for for sci-fi fantasy in the vein of something similar to either Jack Kirby or Jim Starlin?
>>
Is it possible to write a fairy tale-style story about an animal turned into a human without it being furfaggotry?
>>
>>8993592
Sure, though I've only read the first two books and can't comment on the rest of the series. From what I've read of him Flint is one of Baen's better authors.
>>
File: 18952341[1].jpg (25KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
18952341[1].jpg
25KB, 314x475px
How is this series?
>>
>>8987215
Someone want recc me a sci fi book/series that's light on world exposition/in-universe mechanics and science etc and more involved with characterization and relationships?
>>
>>8993652
Oh, nice. I think I've actually got 1632 in my stacks. Think I'll move it up on the list.
>>
>>8993661
Read it. I consider that one of the two best books I've ever read and it held up well to a re-reading.
>>
>>8993707
Thanks. What is the other best book?
>>
>>8993728
The Golem and the Jinni.
>>
>>8993510
China Miéville is an unironic Marxist and it noticeably influences his work.
>>
>>8993552
Rhulad had a hard life. Even if he was a cocky little shit he didn't deserve what happened to him.
>>
>>8993929
Really? All I've read from him was The Rat King, and it seemed kind of dismissive of socialism.
>>
I'm reading the golden compass and I'm a bit iffy on something:

is severing supposed to be a metaphor for circumcision or castration?

Castration seems the obvious one but circumcision works too and while there are plenty of abrahamic mandates for circumcision I have yet to hear of one for castration that isn't exclusive for rapists or oxen
>>
File: IMG_7452.jpg (28KB, 300x346px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7452.jpg
28KB, 300x346px
>>8994061
I've never read King Rat but it's a fairly prominent theme in the Bas-Lag series.

Here's a list of socialist SFF recommendations from the man himself if you're interested.
>http://theweeklyansible.tumblr.com/post/20777236577/50-sci-fi-fantasy-works-every-socialist-should
>>
>>8993498
Don't copy my original shit post bitch
>>
>>8993682
The first book is engaging, the second book starts to run out of steam halfway-through. I stopped after about twenty pages of the third book.
>>
>>8993663
So science fiction, without the science.
>>
>>8994179
Is that the one where the town gets sent back in time? Because it was shit. I mean, I fucking love the concept, but the characterization is awful. Oh there's a girl? I interact with her for ten pages? Instant, undying love.
Now, anyone has to deal with this shit a lot, but in this book it was particularly horribly done.
>>
>>8994193
That is all of flint's writing. He's okay material for taking a shit to sometimes.

Most baen authors are pretty bad though. I feel bad for saying that because I read trash all the time.
>>
>>8994086
>is severing supposed to be a metaphor for circumcision or castration?
No. Stop thinking with your dick, I think it's more to do with a lobotomy.
>>
Am I a bad person for liking Battlefield Earth? It's so pulpy, it's great.

Only about half way through but it has me breaking away from other hobbies just to read more, I love it
>>
>>8993944
It was his own fault, but he actually tried fixing things and making things better. Especially after he became emperor, he even actually tried bettering the lives of lettheri (forgot how to spell it) I feel bad for him. I dislike Mayen though, a lot.

Another one who I can't seem to figure out if I dislike or hate is Feather Witch desu
>>
>>8994285
I never liked Feather Witch. Just cause she was always a cunt to my nigga Udinaas.
>>
>>8994354
I never understood why she became such a cunt to him desu.

I finished reading Reaper's Gale and it seems like Udinaas got at least a decent/happyish ending with his kid.

I'm starting Toll the Hounds now. Super excited.
>>
>>8988831
>>8988892
But it is.
>>
>>8988459
Prequels were shit but this novelization somewhat redeemed them in my eyes. Was pretty good.
>>
>>8987874
>>8989609
>Mein nigger. These books are so comfy, especially when Jacques describes the food.

Even comfier when they racially cleanse the forest of the lesser vermin.
>>
>>8994630

your wrong
>>
>Over a half a year until sequels come out

REEEEEE
>>
File: 1376324269531.jpg (75KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
1376324269531.jpg
75KB, 533x800px
>>8994102
>that pic
When did he get /fit/?
>>
>>8994243
Go to bed, Jettero.
>>
>>8994102
Any good anarchist SFF besides Le Guin? I get the feeling Mieville is a classical Marxist and sympathetic to anarchism, but he's still a Marxist and not an anarchist.
>>
>>8994817
The easy answer would be The Culture. Although it's described as an anarchistic utopia I still maintain that the Minds have formed an oligarchy. Start with Player of Games instead of Consider Phlebas if you're so inclined.
>>
File: 51DSMR0+70L.jpg (60KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
51DSMR0+70L.jpg
60KB, 333x500px
>>8994696
>The man in the dinner plate scowled under the film of grease.

>"Oh, my, how dreadful," Lady Wakefield said, pressing her palm to her chest. "Where did you get such an abominable thing? How am I supposed to dine with this beast glaring at me?"

>The baron smirked in his practiced manner. He was proud of his dinnerware and so had to hide his upset at the lady's commentary. "Worry not, my lady: he cannot harm you, trapped as he is in your tableware. The Manchurian from whom I purchased it assured me of its safety."

>The man in the dinner plate glared at the baron. Such arrogance! But his time would come.
>>
File: hight.jpg (186KB, 532x959px) Image search: [Google]
hight.jpg
186KB, 532x959px
any good stories with sociopathic protagonists?
>>
File: 1452037100139.png (60KB, 592x492px) Image search: [Google]
1452037100139.png
60KB, 592x492px
>>8994862
>>
>>8992571
Trashy =/= trash. And this particular one looks like it's pure edge.
>>
>>8993624
I dont know that much about comic books but:

Prose superhero fantasy:
>Soon I Will Be Invincible
>A Once Crowded Sky

Derring-do
>Edgar Rice Burroughs, Tarzan and John Carter
>Conan
>Lensman series
>A.E. van Vogt

Also look up John C. Wright's Superluminary serial, it's free. If you like it and want to read something crazier then read his Count to a Trillion books. I think he was influenced heavily by Silver Age comics in writing both.
>>
Just finished reading Childhoods end and I absolutely loved it. I'm about to move on to 2001: a space Odyssey and I was wondering if the book is as good as the movie. Also is 2010 and 2061 any good?
>>
>>8994086
I actually think it's more to do with C.S. Lewis' ideas about how demons attempt to destroy people spiritually, but taken more literally and materialistically. I think the revelation that the daemons are manifestations of something internal to people in our world makes this more clear.
>>
>>8992999
>that name, summary and cover
Are you sure this isn't a comedic or satiric novel? That would explain the high rating as well.
>>
>>8995050
It's really not as good as the movie imo. I actually liked 2010 and 2061 better, although 3001 isn't very good.

The 2010 movie is also pretty good and much more Clarkean than 2001.
>>
>>8994911
The Eyes of the Overworld.
>>
>>8995087
Nothing tops that Kubrick charm
>>
>>8995087
Only thing i can remember from 3001 is that some hot chick wouldn't fuck MC because he was cut.
>>
>>8994862
I appreciate this.
>>
>>8995050
Karellen dindu nuffin he a good overlord
>>
>>8995398
>>8995398
>>8995398
>>
>>8992999
> I did not enjoy this book as much as the others in the series. It had a good story but there was not as blood, death, fighting and carnage and I didn't like that. Caine deathwalker is still great and the other characters are fun, and I still like the series a lot I just hope the next book is more like the previous books.
>>
File: darrow spurdo.jpg (153KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
darrow spurdo.jpg
153KB, 1024x768px
Who /irongold/ here?
>>
>>8995043
thanks
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.