[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 44

File: 1481580392569.png (3MB, 1767x913px) Image search: [Google]
1481580392569.png
3MB, 1767x913px
Fantasy
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg
Flowchart:
>https://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>https://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>https://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>https://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>https://i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread: >>8966391
>>
Is the Golden Compass one of those books that's aimed at kids but acceptable to read as an adult?
>>
Are there any fantasy worlds where drug use, prostitution, and other 'social degeneracies' are prevalent?
>>
>>8978838
Righteous.
>>
>>8979298
Yes
>>
File: turtledove2.png (397KB, 634x580px) Image search: [Google]
turtledove2.png
397KB, 634x580px
>POV character complains about coffee
>>
File: FalseSun.jpg (234KB, 1440x792px) Image search: [Google]
FalseSun.jpg
234KB, 1440x792px
Shaeönanra did nothing wrong.
>>
>>8979316
Bakker
>>
I've been reading David Gemmell's stuff recently and it's struck me that his stuff feels like the first two JoJo's Bizarre Adventure arcs in a way. A handful of characters facing insurmountable odds, and winning through guile, luck, pluck, sacrifice, and speeches about heroism.
>>
>>8979523
Except fuck a horrific space rape monster
>>
>>8979344
thank you. I was doubting myself but after my latest reading session it strikes me that this is the book I should have read decades ago

A YA fantasy book where elementary particles are a plot point? Why have I been wasting my time trying to write that when I could have read it any time since the 90s
>>
>>8979523
I like the artist's attention to detail. Look at that bronzed infant skull.
>>
What did you guys think about The Green Brain?
>>
File: Lore-race-Imperial.png (92KB, 207x271px) Image search: [Google]
Lore-race-Imperial.png
92KB, 207x271px
>>8979294
So I've been reading about fantasy books for a while and it seems there's a huge difference in opinion about which series is GOAT.

Out of the following, which series would you recommend as the best?

The First Law trilogy- Joe Abercrombie
The Malazan Book of the Fallen- Steven Erikson
The Kingkiller Chronicle- Patrick Rothfuss
A Song of Ice and Fire- George R R Martin
The Stormlight Archive- Brandon Sanderson
The Wheel of Time- Robert Jordan
>>
>>8979749

Malazan
Stormlight

remove rothfuss
>>
>>8979569
Because the ending absolutely blew. You have been warned.

>>8979489
>POV character mentions a cigarette brand
>POV character is getting sunburned
>>
>>8979749
None of them. Fantasy as a whole is a enormous genre, but you've limited it to the most boring and comically generic examples

It's all epic fantasy, all european, and all boring as sin. do you people even realize there's other fantasy out there, or are you still stuck in the 1960s

>>8979798
It's okay, I'm used to it.
>>
>>8979749
I vote Malazan.
>>
>>8979749
unambiguously ASoIaF. passable prose, fantastic plotting, good characters.

all of the others are pure shit, esp stormlight and rothfuss
>>
>>8979805
>Stormlight
>European
You're the one stuck in the 60s m8
>>
>>8979805
Alright, what's your favorite piece of fantasy?
>>
>>8979749
What are the differences between these series?

Also, which fantasy series is most Elder Scrolls-esque?
>>
>>8979818

Malazan
>>
>>8979814
How can I pick just one?

>The Golem and the Jinni
>Fevre Dream
>The Grace of Kings
>The Orphan's Tales
>The Ballad of Black Tom
>The Dresden Files.

There's mythopoeia, vampire novels, magical realism, weird fiction, urban fantasy, fairy tales, epic fantasy series drawn from sources other than the dried up well of pre-colonial europe, but all you do is read the same goddamn story over and fucking over.

If I have to read about one more kingslayer or one more bastard prince I'm going to fucking lynch myself
>>
>>8979859
>There's mythopoeia, vampire novels, magical realism, weird fiction, urban fantasy

DROOOOOOOPPED THROUGH THE CENTER OF THE SUN!
>>
>>8979749
Stormlight. It's anime but entertaining.

ASIOAF is overrated shit.
Rothfuss can't write his way out of a paper bag.
First Law only has one great character (Glokta).
>>
>>8979814
This one because it gets me back to my 4chan roots.
>>
>>8979859

>ballad of gay tony

that's a video game mate
>>
>>8979877
>Stormlight. It's anime but entertaining.

>ASIOAF is overrated shit.

hahahah
>>
>>8979859
>hipster crap and the literal Dresden Files
Look dude, you're a poseur. Just accept it. You read what you like, we'll read what we like, and you stop acting like your taste is any better than anyone else's because you obviously don't know the first thing about the books you're insulting. Deal?
>>
>>8979874
>>8979887

Fine by me. Go back to your scheming advisors, and your sadistic princes, your bored noblewomen and your whorehouse heroines.

It's literally all the same garbage, but if someone just wants to eat stale bread for the rest of their life why is it my business.

Oh wait, it is my business because I've got nothing to fucking read, becuase fantasy writers have realized you're all fucking suckers and willingly abandon any semblance of originality because they now you'll eat up whatever derivative drivel they shit out
>>
>>8979891
The only GRRM book I like is Fevre Dream. ASOIAF can go fuck itself in the ass. Overrated. Shit. Pulled down by its disgustingly poorly managed multi POVs.
>>
Any good fantasy novels with a little girl protagonist?
>>
>>8979915
>look at all my better-than-you-taste
>but I've exhausted it all because you like epic fantasy
Just go back to goodreads already.
>>
>>8979943
Witches of Karres.
>>
This is my favorite SFF. Please rate my taste and also recommend me a trilogy (or a quartet I guess) based on what I like.

>Frankenstein
>The Chronicles of Amber
>all the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories
>The Magicians Trilogy
>the Stainless Steel Rat series
>>
>>8979907
>>8979907
you literally think anything that isn't european epic fantasy is hipster shit but you call be the poseur?

Congratulations fuckface, you've literally missed the entire point of fantasy. Just read some fucking medieval history books and leave actual fantasy to the people who have some semblance of imagination
>>
>>8979915
>>8979950
I want to see your thoughts on this: >>8979949
>>
>>8979950
You literally think anything with 3+ books and no scratchy-voiced detective is european epic fantasy. Yes, you're a poseur.
>>
>>8979928
tell me about those amazing stormlight POVs.
prelude: "muh shardblades" uh okay
prologue: fucking worthless animu battle. zero plot progression except for one line said by a dying charater at the end. zero interesting characters.
chapter 1: big ass battle. zero plot progression. zero interesting characters.
chapter 2: kaladin and a sprite. nothing interesting happens whatsoever.
chapter 3: shallan. fucking dropped.
>>
>>8979986
Dude, when Shallan ate jam and bread. That gave me chills.
>>
>>8979989
>ate jam and bread.
>gave me chills
my god, kind of amazing books are you guys reading?
>>
>>8979986
Tell me more about GRRM's amazing ASIOAF writing dicksucker or fuck off back to your shitty general like all the other pleb trash >>>tv/78442225/
>>
>>8979986
>>8979928
and seriously compare the synopsis for both chapter 3's, or any other chapter. its fucking laughable how much of stormlight is padding.

http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings:_Chapter_3

bttp://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Game_of_Thrones-Chapter_3
>>
>>8979954
I see a preference for the old and cheap stuff. Pulp, comics and the penny dreadfuls, with a slight tendency towards clever and crafty protags over those who are honorably and dumb as bricks

I respect your tastes even if I don't share them myself. I think you might like Latro in the Mist, in any case you'd get more mileage out of it than I did

>>8979957
I mention one detective and suddenly that's all you seem capable of imagining. I was right about you
>>
>>8980007
asshurt

GRRM isnt god's gift to mankind but he btfos these meme "authors"
>>
>>8979949
It's not a trilogy but if you want something that's fantasy/horror then try The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins.
>>
>>8980020
I thought you understood hyperbole, you know, after you made a list of epic European fantasy with an epic non-European fantasy on it.
>>
Today's /sffg/ thread seems pretty vitriolic, doesn't it?
>>
>>8980049
Just the one guy that wants to proselytize everyone away from Straw Euro Fantasy. He'll probably disappear if we ignore him.
>>
>>8980030
Thanks!
>>8980020
Thanks for the recommendation. Also, the Magicians trilogy is contemporary portal fantasy. I think you might like it.
>>
Magicians shitty character power ranking

SHIT TIER
Jannet, Eliott
SHIT BUT FEELS REMORSE TIER
Quentin
COMIC RELIEF TIER
Josh
GOOD GUY TIER
Penny
SAVIOR TIER
Alice
>>
>>8980094
Did you finish the trilogy? Quentin grows as a person substantially. He doesn't just "feel remorse" but ceases to be shit.

Also, Penny is a tool.

You also forgot:

>TOO PURE FOR THIS WORLD TIER
>Benedict

>AWESOME LITTLE BROTHER TIER
>Stoppard
>>
>accidental marriage to a tribal
>crashing a wedding before a forced marriage
>power couples on adventure honeymoons
When will these memes come back
>>
>>8979749
Stormlight
>>
>>8980101
Nah man I just finished the first book. I'm probably going to read the others real soon though, are they better or worse than the first one?
>>
File: turtledove.png (480KB, 634x580px) Image search: [Google]
turtledove.png
480KB, 634x580px
>>8979798
>POV character is told they should go into politics
This happens at least 20 times in Southern Victory
>>
>>8980119
>are they better or worse than the first one?
In my opinion, book 3 > book 1 > book 2, but I liked all three. I think you'll probably feel some degree of affection for every character you listed there by the end of the series.
>>
>>8980094
>GOOD GUY TIER
>Penny

Fuck you

Also
>Shit tier jannet elliot

???????
>>
So I get that it's an insult, and I'm not at all interested in Sanderson anyway, but I've never watched an anime in my life so I don't know what it means. I'm not a faggot so I'm not going to watch one to find out. Explain it to me.
>>
>>8980159
>Explain it to me.

His books are anime
>>
>>8980159
>I'm not a faggot
>I'm not going to watch anime
Your own words betray you.
>>
>>8980159
Anime is literally just cartoons from Japan. It varies wildly in quality.

But the reason Sanderson is called anime is because his books have over-explained magic and lots of people shooting beams of energy at each other like Dragonball Z or something.
>>
>>8980159
It's like reading a chinese cartoon. You know, that.
>>
>>8980169
>HorribleSubs

shit taste desu
>>
>>8980226
ok what subs did you use for Bernard-jou, tough guy?
>>
>>8980159
I think it's because Sanderson explains what's going on in his fights as if video game constructs like power levels, MP, spell levels, etc. are literally real, which is characteristic of a lot of shonen anime like Naruto, DBZ, etc.
>>
>>8979523
Kellus can fly now? What is going on in Prince of Nothing series?(Read the first trilogy)
>>
>>8980262
Power levels in the old long-running shonen were at least a little mysterious. Isekai protags literally level up now.
>>
Was alright but would rather the Winter character had been cut entirely or, dare I say it, written as a man.
>>
>>8980030
Seconded
>>
File: 18070828.jpg (29KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
18070828.jpg
29KB, 313x475px
>>8980348

forgot image
>>
File: 18047306.jpg (166KB, 297x475px) Image search: [Google]
18047306.jpg
166KB, 297x475px
>>8980159
Read this and you will know what anime in prose is.
>>
File: 1436327551476.jpg (30KB, 403x336px) Image search: [Google]
1436327551476.jpg
30KB, 403x336px
>>8980348
>the character is female so I can't
>>
>>8979316
Malazan Book of the Fallen, in fact a good chunk of book 2 is the PoV of a 14 year old noble girl who fits both your conditions.
>>
>>8979749
Out of that list only 3 series are completed. Of the ones that are completed, only Malazan Book of the Fallen is worthy of being considered GOAT. Of the unifnished ones, Stormlight Archive is the most ambitious and impressive so far, and also the only one that stands a good chance of being finished by the author.
>>
>>8980417

I fucking hate that fukcing cunt felishit fuck her fuck her so much i want her DEAD forever in hell
>>
>>8980310
Yeah, like any sorcerer.
But that's not kellhus on the picture. It's from a short story about the consult
>>
>>8979859
>The Golem and the Jinni

I loved this. Highly recommended for anyone who has not read it.
>>
>>8980474
is a quality work yeah. Getting a sequel supposedly.
>>
>>8980119
How much do you like Narnia?
>>
>>8980490
I heard. I hope it's not bad.

The Grace of Kings had a perfect, self-contained story and happy ending but despite ruining everything the sequel managed to arise naturally and be better than the story that preceded it.

The Golem And The Jinni on the other hand... It was one of my two favorite books of all time, but how the hell would a sequel to that even work? Where do you go from that perfect ending?
>>
Any fantasy with litlte girl protagonist?
>>
>>8980679
kys
>>
>>8980158

>Also
>Shit tier jannet elliot

>???????

this desu. 2nd best characters.except mayakovsky
>>
File: Dune-1984.jpg (118KB, 1600x680px) Image search: [Google]
Dune-1984.jpg
118KB, 1600x680px
I wish scifi was as well organised and easily to follow trends as with fantasy. Fantasy seems to have much more decipherable work, with plenty of big series by authors who've written tons.

I just made the strange journey from Dune, to Foundation, then weirdly onto Hyperion then Revelation Space, all under the "Space Opera" title, but they were all so wildly different I couldn't help but feel it wasn't a good recommendation.

Am I just autistic? Specifically what SO should I read to get a good feel of the sub-genre, but more generally where's a good flowchart or direction-ed reading list for scifi categories?
>>
>>8980159
This is what anime is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXbCWJNfq_0
>>
>>8980798
what's wrong with them being different
i can't decipher what you're going for here or want to read
>>
>>8979294
What is a novel that takes place in a society where "progressive" and super "liberal" principles are seen as bad and even the MC thinks so.

I see these themes in various books and just feel like something different. I am not one to say that authors are pushing their agenda in their work. I just want something that genuinely feels different when it comes to what is bad and what is good in society and in MCs head.
>>
>>8979523
The Consult may be a pack of /d/epraved assholes, but they really make an effort, and you have to appreciate that.
>>
>>8980944
Brave New World?
lmao go back to /pol/ you pathetic dipshit
>>
Any recs for good sci-fi about AI which either relegates humanity to second class citizens, and an underground human resistance forms.

Or where AI plans to overthrow humanity generally.
>>
>>8981100
Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos
>>
>>8981061
Horrible cliché-ish book.

I usually don't drop books, but the beginning of that one is terrible.
>>
>>8981104
>he dropped biology at 16
sorry it was a bit too much for you, /lit/ senpai
as a hard scifi fan the beginning in my opinion is one of the strongest bits of the novel
>>
>>8979749
the only books that qualify for GOAT tier are the ones that were actually finished. books written by actual writers and not money grabbing attention seekers.
>>
>>8981157

What amuses me the most is that you're calling a "biology" book a novel.
>>
File: FrankFrazetta.jpg (188KB, 1450x1000px) Image search: [Google]
FrankFrazetta.jpg
188KB, 1450x1000px
Which fantasy / sci-fi book is this picture from?
>>
File: 1474050248206.png (9KB, 401x367px) Image search: [Google]
1474050248206.png
9KB, 401x367px
>>8981157
>as a hard scifi fan
>>
Who wants to bet when Winds of Winter comes out? My guess, 2018.
>>
>>8979813
Adding to this
>>8979805
>Malazan
>European
Large parts of it take place in fantasy Iraq, others in fantasy North America.
>>
>>8980159
Sanderson's tends to use magic systems that give characters arrays of supernatural powers with limited, predefined effects. Typically enhancements to speed, reflexes, durability, and strength, often with some kind new type of mobility that's a lot like flight, and occasionally some kind of projectile attack. He'll then have these characters engage in highly-mobile, hyperkinetic fights that take them across large battlefields, through multiple ranges of engagements, and that are often resolved with one character figuring out a trick or revealing a technique the other hadn't known about.

This draws comparisons to video games, and anime. Far as I can tell which it's compared to is a matter of board culture more than anything else. Around here of course we started as an anime image board, so /lit/ seems inclined to default to comparisons with Bleach and Naruto. Over down reddit way, r/gaming was on of their earliest subs that remains a default to this day, so Sanderson's action scenes are more likely to get compared to Devil May Cry or Bayonnetta.

Neither comparison is terribly unjust.
>>
I'm looking for some literary equivalent of junk food. I want to read something bildungsroman-like, in a fantasy setting, very-low to mid-low magic, featuring a character starting out as a completely useless nobody and ending up as a legendary figure with mad skills, power and bitches. The less talking intrigue and more physical action the better, but a juicy revenge plotline is welcome. Any suggestions?
>>
>>8980449
This. And it's amazing. The fact that I really went from feeling pity, sympathizing with her, to hating her fucking guts within a single book makes her such an amazing character.
>>
File: 1472100855904.png (633KB, 816x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1472100855904.png
633KB, 816x1200px
Didn't find one in the charts.

Any fantasy/sci fi books with talking animals in them?

Please?
>>
>When trying to get The Hobbit published in Nazi Germany, they asked Tolkien if he was Aryan
>Tolkien, being a linguistic expect and philologist, got triggered they'd use an indo-iranian language to describe their "race"
how could one man be this legendary, i want to be like him
even reading his letters only makes me admire him more
>>
>>8980449

Gotta give it to Erikson. The readers relationship with Felisin was at least emotional.
>>
>>8980944

You're correct that this is missing.
>>
>>8981496

Good answer. Thanks for the thoughtful response.
>>
>>8979569
Be warned that it gets progressively worse and ends with an incredibly poorly executed climax/ending.
>>
>>8979949
You'd like Jack Vance. The Demon Princes, The Dying Earth, or Lyonesse.
>>
>>8980060
>proselytize everyone away from Straw Euro Fantasy
I understand the impulse somewhat, but the problem with Generic Euro Fantasy has more to do with poor writing than setting. If you try to fix bad writing by changing the setting, you're just going to end up chasing the dragon through Generic African Fantasy and Generic Meso-American Fantasy etc. without actually producing anything good.
>>
File: sffg_crashcourse.jpg (2MB, 3000x3416px) Image search: [Google]
sffg_crashcourse.jpg
2MB, 3000x3416px
>>8980798
You're not autistic, SF tends to be both less formulaic and authors seem more likely to try new concepts even if their styles don't change much. This chart tries to organize it by "eras", but more to the point I think reading all of this will give you a pretty good sampler of different types of SF.
>>
>>8980310
All sorcerers can "fly".
>>
>>8980952
All they want is to fuck and rape without being damned for all eternity.

Is that so much to ask?
>>
File: The_Enchanted_Forest_Chronicles.jpg (48KB, 330x499px) Image search: [Google]
The_Enchanted_Forest_Chronicles.jpg
48KB, 330x499px
>>8981658
Talking animals throughout, and one of the books has a lot of talking cat PoV.
>>
>>8981100
Neal Asher Agent cormac series
>>
>>8980944
I don't know if there's anything good out there that specifically addresses tumblr, but The Golden Age has some criticisms of modern progressivism from a libertarian standpoint. Wright in general is a bit of a meme but TGA is definitely worth reading either way.

The Space Trilogy, especially That Hideous Strength but it's very Christian and Lewis resorts to deus ex machina in the endingh. Bonus points that it was written in the 1940s though.

There's lots of works that implicitly attack Progressivism as being historically/materially contingent but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.
>>
>>8981658
Narnia
Watership Down
Redwall, but it's definitely for children
The Rediscovery of Man stories, but the talking animals are engineered to look human and so probably doesn't count.
>>
>>8981658
Jim Butcher's steampunk cat series.
Bis dark materials trilogy
>>
any recommendations for some sad or depressing science fiction?
>>
>>8981877
Kek

If you wanna read about rebels being btfo by the man.
>>
>>8981940
flowers for algeron
I hate this book but it was really sad
>>
>>8981940
Couple of the stories in Hyperion had their moments.
>>
Thoughts on China Melville? Blind bought The City and The City today, seems like it could be alright.
>>
>>8982027
It's alright. Embassytown and The Scar are his best.
>>
>>8981658
Moving Pictures
>>
Any fantasy with slutty girl protagonist?
>>
>>8981875
>>8981895
>>8981903
>>8982065
Thanks!!
>>
>>8981940
Gray Moon Over China.
>tfw you just wanna settle down with your murderous slutty Viet Cong waifu on the good colony planet but everyone else wants your help fighting invincible aliens
>>
>>8980451
>>8981852
AHEM
>*pushes up glasses*
They can't fly per se, they're walking the echo of the ground.
>>8980952
Wouldn't you do the same? Or are you some kind of cuck who would let Ciphrang feast on his soul for all eternity?
>>
Any good SFF with a major character who starts out insecure and caring too much what other people think, but ultimately develops a sense of self and more confidence?
>>
>>8981516
What? Is this kind of thing not snooty and pretentious enough for you?
>>
>>8982159
Rand in Wheel of Time sort of undergoes that. It takes him forever to eventually reach wisdom and maturity though. He starts off humble but insecure about his role and unsure of how to wield his authority, then he just spirals into paranoid madness and pretty much stays crazy until his "awakening".
>>
>But I’ve always believed,” Kellhus continued, “that one must ride another man’s horse for a day before criticizing.” “To better understand him?” “No,” the man replied with an eye-twinkling shrug. “Because then you’re a day away and you have his horse.
why is he so perfect?
>>
>>8982324
>the state of banter in fantasy
>>
>>8982324
>an eye-twinking shrug.

oh yeah, one of them
>>
>>8982392
>not telegraphing your joke not once, but twice (the other being the “To better understand him?” line) and sprinkling it with a little purple prose.

do you even want to get on the NYT bestsellers list
>>
>“Have you heard the saying, Skeaös? ‘Cats look down upon Man, and dogs look up, but only pigs dare look Man straight in the eye.’” “Y-yes, God-of-Men.” “Pretend that you are a pig, Skeaös.”
>>
>>8981529
I want back to feeling pity during her days as Sha'ik
>>
>>8981658
There is that "the others" series by Anne Bishop with werebirds and a bunch of other were-animals.. but just forget I said anything.
>>
>>8981999
The AIs are the man.
>>
>>8981100
Tsumou Nihei's Blame.
>>
>>8982324
>>8982425
What in the fuck is an "eye-twinkling shrug"? Describe this shrug to me, and don't you dare mention the person's eyes — it's a movement with the shoulders and arms, tell me how it differs from a normal shrug. Or admit that what the hack meant to write was "the man replied with a shrug, his eyes twinkling."
>>
What'd be the 2010s' equivalent to the Sprawl trilogy? I want something gritty, anti-authoritarian, set in the nearish future, dealing with realistic problems, and preferably around 3-4 books in length.
>>
>>8982488
no shit

>tfw Jack Ketch
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Ketch
>>
>>8981516

The Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan might be what you're looking for. Generic ASoIaF-lite but the first book is entirely dedicated to the progression of the protag from little boy to living legend the following books in the series start following different character POVs, many of them stronk womyn so you may want to give them a miss depending on your tastes
>>
>>8982641
Don't think it exists but willing to be corrected. Neal Asher Owner series to an extent maybe?
>>
>>8982019

The Scholar's tale hit me right in the feels. too bad the Fall of Hyperion failed live up to the brilliance of the first book. Its been months since I read it and I'm still disappointed
>>
>>8982700
yeah couldn't compete but Fall is still far in excess of the Endymion efforts. Simply avoid.
>>
>>8981516
>>8982669
Seconding this. "Literary junk food" is a perfect description for the series and the main character fits your bill. There's also a series (the name escapes me) by Brian Staveley that begins with The Emperor's Blades which is about the same. Both of these are enjoyable trash.

Also The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Though the main character is sort of already über but it shifts between flashbacks of when he wasn't shit and the present. The first book is great, the second is aight, and the third one could've been better. Lots of juicy revenge plots though. Kind of Ocean's Eleven meets Pirates of the Caribbean meets Assassin's Creed.
>>
Is it just me, or are there are dearth of Greco-Roman inspired setting? I figured it would be nearly as big a meme as medieval Western Europe
>>
File: 9579634.jpg (36KB, 312x475px) Image search: [Google]
9579634.jpg
36KB, 312x475px
Well this was almost aggressively bad. Like "pssh nothing personell kid" level. Holy shit. I guess I should've taken the hint when the novel opens with the main character raping a 13-year-old and burning her alive that I'm in for an edgy ride, but it wasn't just that. It was all so boring.
>>
>>8982700
Was that one whose daugher was aging backward and had no memories of past day?
what's sad about it? Guy had perfect loli
>>
>>8982669
>>8982745
Thanks, I'll check these out. I should have pointed out that I was really talking about the plot being a simple rook to king fantasy, I really don't want the writing to be pompous garbage. I can't digest some of the newer shit where the hero is already a legend, has names for his sword, dagger, bow and potato pealing knife and his every move has an adjective like "deadly", "menacing", or "flawless" attached to it.
>>
>>8982770
I think I remember someone describing that book to me (or something similar) where the protag sounded like an edgy asshole who killed his father and family in some gruesome away. They sounded so passionate about it, but to me it sounded like edge for the sake of edge. Really cringeworthy.

Shall we speak about the Black Company /lit/? I'm on Soldier's Live right now and will probably read Silver Spike after if I don't get back to reading Ciaphas Cain.

Is it just me, or would the series have been better served without Kina and Taglios and other worlds and should have just had the Company take on Lady and go find a new contract and rebuild their forces, or make it about keeping the Empire from fracturing?
>>
>>8982770
I would have probably liked this a lot more if I was in my early teens, but yeah, it was edgy garbage. The character should supposedly be a brooding likable rogue, but comes off as a sociopath and an asshole ("his backstory is rape"). And all of it feels so disjointed as well, it should be him finding his way to the throne bundled with his victory over the Death King, but ends up reading like him floundering his way trough everything to pretty much achieving his goals by chance. Wouldn't recommend it. It's Itachi Uchiha fanfiction tier.
>>
>>8982669
>>8982745
Uhuh. I took a quick glance at both and I have a feeling that they might be what I mentioned here >>8982787 . You wouldn't know something older perhaps? From a more innocent age where the author didn't masturbate with one hand while writing fight scenes?
>>
>>8982869
How do you get a "feeling" before reading it? Fuck off if you aren't even trying stuff out.
>>
Should I read the silmarillion
>>
>>8982920
After reading a lot of modern stuff, you get a good impression of what to expect from the author's introduction and the summary. I'm going to check it out, I just don't have a lot of faith in it being what I'm after.
>>
>>8982627
>what is facial expressions
>I've been away from real people all my life so I don't know how eyebrows and facial muscles can do shit
Kys
>>
>it's a fantasyfag re-reads his favorite book series multiple times episode
You don't seriously do this, do you? You can't honestly tell me you think these books have enough substance for more than one read, right?
>>
>>8982938
yeh
>>
File: Really Tempted.jpg (42KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
Really Tempted.jpg
42KB, 800x587px
>>8982768
>butchering the English language
>>
>>8982809
>tfw no 400 year old virgin pussy to plough every night
Why live?
>>
>>8983081
Feels bad man.
>>
>>8983047
A shrug has nothing to do with facial expression. He's quite right in pointing out that it's a typical case of nonsensical post-modern pseudo-description. It sounds pretty but doesn't really make any sense.
>>
>>8982825
>The character should supposedly be a brooding likable rogue, but comes off as a sociopath and an asshole
Well no, he's supposed to be a sociopath and asshole. Your whole post just sounds like "nuhhhh! I want muh cliches!" to me because the book does unexpected things.
>>
>>8983106
The Lady looks like THAT?
>>
>>8982768
There is a dearth of fantasy stories set in Greco-Roman Antiquity, yes. I consider this a good clue that the cause of the Euro Fantasy genre rut is laziness rather than RACISM, although you do occasionally see some "Roman" elements, especially military, in fantasy without it being the focus.

Vox Day's fantasy antiquity series is supposedly at least passable if you want to read it, but you might want to wait until it's finished.
>>
>>8982809
Wasn't Jorg possessed by some shit in the 1st book pushing the edge factor through the roof?
>>
>>8983124
>File name says Soulcatcher

I already posted the Lady anon.

>>8983134
I never read it. Like i said, it sounded like edgy trash so I didn't bother picking it up.
>>
>>8983053
I used to reread my collection every year to pad out times when library books weren't handy. I'm sorry you've never experienced the joy of revisiting a beloved story.
>>
>>8983136
Yeah but I do seem to recall there was some McGuffin for it being so over the top initially and he was an actual somewhat rounded character once it was addressed. Maybe someone can clarify.
>>
>>8982627
why did you quote me
>>
This is the only exposure I've had to Terry Pratchet. I didn't it it funny at all apart from the bit about the Spanish Inquisition.

Are Terry's solo works funnier or should I not give him any more chances?
>>
File: 1484597964502.jpg (73KB, 483x428px) Image search: [Google]
1484597964502.jpg
73KB, 483x428px
>>8979294
>Luke, did I ever tell you about the Anal Cannon? The Anal Cannon is loaded when a funnel is placed into an asshole, and the 2nd whore pukes into it. After the ass is filled with puke, a cock then fucks it until the pressure is all built up. After the Asshole has been fucked hard enough, the cock is pulled out and the Anal cannon explodes! To top it all off, ass to mouth occurs, with both ladies licking off the fresh mix of vomit and ass for the ultimate anal dessert! They were good friends.
>>
Anyone got some science fiction about a desperate race to get off the planet?

Something like the first (and best) part of Seveneves.
>>
>>8983170
If that didn't do it for you I wouldn't bother.
>>
File: 25499718.jpg (16KB, 220x338px) Image search: [Google]
25499718.jpg
16KB, 220x338px
>>8981658
I've got you senpai.

Hope you like spiders.
>>
>>8981516
Red Rising is close enough 2bh
>>
Need good sci-fi with both literary value AND exciting pulpy bits. I'd prefer a short series (2-5 books) over a single novel.
>>
>>8983309
Red Rising is the Twilight of our generation.

You should be fucking ashamed.
>>
>>8983330
>fucking ashamed

For reccing a book that somewhat fits his criteria? Neck yourself cunt.
>>
What up guys back again here. Halfway through Neuromancer. Going to try and do everything on the npr chart. Anyways back to Neuromancer

So what's going on when they jack in. I sometimes read before bed and I think I may have been sleepy and missed some stuff

When they jack in where is Case? He's really back at his hotel I'm assuming. For whatever reason during Molly in the pyramid attack I thought he was with her but I think it was him in her mind right?

And I know Dixie isnt real but what's going on exactly when they jack in? He starts talking to Dixie sometimes too in there. Is it really like the matrix movies?
>>
I find the concept of biopunk/ribofunk to be fascinating. Besides The Windup Girl, any recommendations in this vein?
>>
>>8982938

Yes
>>
>>8982768
The Drenai empire in David Gemmell's stuff is very Roman Empire-esque.

David Drake and Eric Flint have a series where the Romans and Persians have to team up to defeat a alien invasion, and I think David Drake has done a couple other romans vs aliens/roman legion abducted by aliens to beat up alien primitives books.

The Ancillary Justice series.
>>
>>8979316
A Land Fit for Heroes
>>
tired of white males here, anyone have any diverse sf/f recs?
>>
>>8983748
Ursula Le Guin is a great female author of science fiction and fantasy.

I haven't gotten around to her stuff yet, but N.K. Jemisin is a black woman who writes epic fantasy that is well-received among fantasy fans at large (no idea if /sffg/ likes her).
>>
>>8983106
Croaker fucked soul catcher right?

I forgot why was soul catcher so evil again? Was it Not!Kali? She tried to kill her niece / nephew right? Did she stay dead or did she turn good finally at the end?

I'm getting mixed up with other stories.
>>
>>8983107
You shrug using your eyebrows you fucking autist. Go and interact with more people irl instead of interacting through a text based website.
>>
What's some good SFF where the characters really earn their happy ending? Meaning, where things turn out okay in the end but holy shit it gets bad in the middle, and it's only through sticking it out, dealing with horrible circumstances, and generally going through hell to come out the other side that they manage to get their (genuinely) happy ending.
>>
File: lexx--first-season.41328.jpg (50KB, 680x1000px) Image search: [Google]
lexx--first-season.41328.jpg
50KB, 680x1000px
Is there anything like the Lexx?
>>
>>8983330
If anything it's twilight for boys. Also
>ashamed
I know for a fact that you was one of those fags that dropped the book within the first chapter.
>h-how did you k-know it was me?
>>
>>8979749
wheel of time
>>
>>8983532
Step 1. Go to goodreads
Step 2. Find wind up gril
Step 3. Scroll down a bit until you see the genre box
Step 4. Select the biopunk genre
Step 5. Look through all the biopunk books until something catches your attention
Step 6. Read it
Step 7. If good shill it on /sffg/
Step 8. Gtfo
>>
File: 1460772990140.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1460772990140.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>8983748
There is a little bit of everything in here.
>>
>>8983785
Anyway YA book. Mainly Percy Jackson, and others by the same writer.
>>
>>8979294
Who do you think is the best active fantasy writer and why?
>>
>>8983966
ken liu
>>
>>8979818
ASOIAF
>>
>>8980449
You lack empathy.
>>
>>8979859
I would be impossible to Lynch yourself, try a noose instead.
>>
>>8984090

>empathy for felishit

Nope
nope nope nopen open ope nope
not at all
fuck that cunt
fuck her so hard the fucking bitch cunt i seriously fucking hate her fucking cunt face that bitch god damn reading all her fucking chapters that cunt that MOTEHR FUCKING CUNT
>>
>>8983836
Don't be a dick, he's asking if anyone else has found a good one per step 7.
>>
>>8983756
Croaker married Lady. Cook doesn't say Croaker slept with her, just that she was applying her charms and he was close to breaking. However, Croaker ends up being saved before he breaks.

Soulcatcher is just always evil. I haven't gotten to the end of Soldier's Live, so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>8981331
I'm an optimist so I say it will surprise drop next month
>>
How do real writers do it?

How do they create something that is everything they want it to be, and that they actually finish?

I've been stuck on this story since before I got fired (half a year ago) and it's still not done and needs to be almost entirely gutted, and if I do all that correctly and remake the beginning it's STILL so much smaller than the story I wanted to tell and too self-contained to be built on
>>
>>8984354
They don't, they're always whining about what they would have done better if they could, a lot of them come out with second editions where they change a lot.
>>
>>8980799
this is great, I wish there was porn like this.
>>
>>8984361
are they so bad that they need to re-write the plot entirely?
>>
>>8984387
A lot of authors pay their bills on drafts that are so bad they ought to be rewritten entirely. Stephen King's a millionaire.
>>
>>8982361
This is ingenius compared to Sanderson's usual """banter""
>>
>>8984354
>half a year
try a decade.
>>
Why do second and third tier sff lit get so little fan art?
>>
>>8984609
Because the people who make the art don't read them. This is a pretty obvious answer.
>>
>>8984541

>Sanderson and his "banter"

It's frustrating that this and some characterization problems really bring down his work. His world building, lore and magic systems excellent, you can really immerse yourself in the story. If he just got his shit together with the character logic and took some fucking classes on dialogue his stuff would be some much better.
>>
File: 1471494751388.jpg (250KB, 869x943px) Image search: [Google]
1471494751388.jpg
250KB, 869x943px
>when all you want is a steampunk setting based on the Georgian/Progressive Era and you only ever get Victorian
Is there any sort of book that fits this description, or would I just be better off writing a story of my own to sate my desires?
>>
>>8984680
It's because he has to be say. The best banter is not pg13, and usually has some r rated double entendre. Sanderson can't do that and keep bible thumpers in his pocket.

He could have a "sweating frog.jpg" as kaladin talking about how shallan's safe hand is holding a bag or some shit.
>>
>>8984697
Either women authors or YA book, neither which you would read. you seem like that type
>>
>>8983748
Octavia Butler and James Tiptree Jr. spring to mind, Tiptree was a woman using a male pseudonym.
>>
File: Pm51.jpg (30KB, 201x300px) Image search: [Google]
Pm51.jpg
30KB, 201x300px
How prophetic is Heinlein in this novel?
>>
>>8983813
Star Trek....
>>
>3.2k words
>4 scenes
>first chapter

It looks like I won't be able to finish my work until five years later.

-t. ESL writer that started writing on his late 20s.
>>
>>8984719
Yep, cause all you gotta do is make sex jokes. Instant, top-tier banter.
>>
>>8984822
Human society before the invasion is only hinted at, and as far as prophesying that sluglike mind-controlling invaders would try to infiltrate, either he was completely off or only wrong in how obvious they were.
>>
File: IMG_7416.jpg (60KB, 332x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7416.jpg
60KB, 332x500px
Is the Fionavar Tapestry any good?
>>
File: Obama-beer.jpg (32KB, 397x302px) Image search: [Google]
Obama-beer.jpg
32KB, 397x302px
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/16/books/transcript-president-obama-on-what-books-mean-to-him.html

>What are some of those books?

>It’s interesting, the stuff I read just to escape ends up being a mix of things — some science fiction. For a while, there was a three-volume science-fiction novel, the “Three-Body Problem” series —

>Oh, Liu Cixin, who won the Hugo Award.

>— which was just wildly imaginative, really interesting. It wasn’t so much sort of character studies as it was just this sweeping —

>It’s really about the fate of the universe.

>Exactly. The scope of it was immense. So that was fun to read, partly because my day-to-day problems with Congress seem fairly petty — not something to worry about. Aliens are about to invade. [Laughter]
>>
>>8984962
Obama seems a chill guy to hang out with even if he had way too much spaghetti to be a good President.
>>
>>8984541
i agree but only because sandersons jokes are literally that bad

this "joke" isnt original, ive heard it several times in other forms
>>
>>8984680
>His world building, lore and magic systems excellent

they really arent

a good example is the prologue with szeth. he thinks somewhere in the chapter "because of X cultural custom, i need to make as much noise as possible when im coming to kill this guy so that they know i'm coming." this is fucking retarded--it is world building informed by what sanderson wants the characters to do, instead of having his character SLAM into the world and have problems and try to solve them. sanderson said "i want my edge assassin to kill lots of guys XD" so he said "lets create some 'cultural quirk' that lets me do this with no conflict whatsoever".

none of sanderson's "world building" ever creates conflict for the characters. its all garbage. beyond that, none of it ever has any deeper justification.
>>
>>8985113
>White to be bold. White to not blend into the night. White to give warning.
>For if you were going to assassinate a man, he was entitled to see you coming.

JUST

Who writes a line like "White to not blend into the night" anyway, jesus fuck.
>>
>>8985113

I agree but I'd attribute that to shitty characterization more than failing at world building. Sanderson is guilty of consistently making his characters behave like retards or illogically to shape the plot - Szeth is case in point but others like Kalladin suffer from it at times too.

I still enjoy the series because I find the world quite immersive but I can appreciate why you think it's garbage and have my own strong complaints about it too.
>>
Would the Chronicle of Narnia books be enjoyable for an adult? I didn't read them as a child and I feel like I've missed out on something great.
>>
>>8985252
I really liked the first one, I think it still holds up.
>>
>>8984090
Felisin will test the limits of your empathy. I believe I held out longer than most people before I started to dislike her. I still realize she is a tragic character, but it's still very hard to like her.
>>
>>8982361
If you want good banter read Malazan Book of the Fallen. Only genuinely funny dialogue I've read in this genre.
>>
>The Fionavar Tapestry
>The novels are partly set in our own contemporary world, but mostly in the fictional world of Fionavar. It is the story of five University of Toronto senior law and medical students, who are drawn into the 'first world of the Tapestry' by the mage Loren Silvercloak. Once there, each discovers his or her own role and destiny in the framework of an epic conflict.
I mean I love Kay's other books but this sounds like the biggest pile of special snowflake Isekai shit ever and I'll probably never read it as a result.
>>
>>8985330
i might actually do that, since i've been recced it a ton. at least, if only so that i can say if that is also total shit or good stuff. thank you
>>
File: 1479532794881.jpg (305KB, 863x1015px) Image search: [Google]
1479532794881.jpg
305KB, 863x1015px
>>8980679
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There
Fever Crumb Series may somewhat count (she is teenager)
>>
>>8984541
>>8985088
Can you post an example of his banter?
Never read his books
>>
>>8985485
You will regret asking this whenever somebody eventually replies with an example.
>>
>>8985499
I'm pretty sure, you guys are overreacting.
It can't be that bad
>>
>>8985506
You're right. It's not "throw up in my mouth" bad. It's just baseline bad. The problem is that there's a thousand pages of it.
>>
>>8985511
you mean you didn't like the stuff with the guy who likes rocks in his soup?
>>
>>8985515
do you?
>>
File: 1474981772540.jpg (187KB, 825x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1474981772540.jpg
187KB, 825x1200px
>>8985485
you're asking me, an anon who posted an autismal copypasta about this, so well done. here it is from the archive:

>"Well," Shallan said to the captain, blushing but still eager to speak, "I was just thinking this: You say that my beauty coaxed the winds to deliver us to Kharbranth with haste. But wouldn't that imply that on other trips, my lack of beauty was to blame for us arriving late?"
>"Well...er..."
>"So in reality," Shallan said, "you're telling me I'm beautiful precisely one-sixth of the time."
>"Nonsense! Young miss, you're like a morning sunrise, you are!"
>"Like a sunrise? By that you mean entirely too crimson"-she pulled at her long red hair-"and prone to making men grouchy when they see me?"
>He laughed, and several of the sailors nearby joined in. "All right then," Captain Tozbek said, "you're like a flower."
>She grimaced. "I'm allergic to flowers."
>He raised an eyebrow.
>"No, really," she admitted. "I think they're quite captivating. But if you were to give me a bouquet, you'd soon find me in a fit so energetic that it would have you searching the walls for stray freckles I might have blown free with the force of my sneezes."
>"Well, be that true, I still say you're as pretty as a flower."
>"If I am, then young men my age must be afflicted with the same allergy-for they keep their distance from me noticeably." She winced. "Now, see, I told you this wasn't polite. Young women should not act in such an irritable way."

>The man pulling the machine was short and dark-skinned, with a wide smile and full lips. He gestured for Shallan to sit, and she did so with the modest grace her nurses had drilled into her. The driver asked her a question in a clipped, terse-sounding language she didn't recognize.
>"What was that?" she asked Yalb.
>"He wants to know if you'd like to be pulled the long way or the short way." Yalb scratched his head.
>"I'm not right sure what the difference is."
>"I suspect one takes longer," Shallan said.
>"Oh, you are a clever one." Yalb said something to the porter in that same clipped language, and the man responded.
>"The long way gives a good view of the city," Yalb said. "The short way goes straight up to the Conclave. Not many good views, he says. I guess he noticed you were new to the city."
>"Do I stand out that much?" Shallan asked, flushing.
>"Eh, no, of course not, Brightness."
>"And by that you mean that I'm as obvious as a wart on a queen's nose."
>Yalb laughed.

can't believe i fell for the meme. two chapters of fighting with no characterization worth a damn, then this autist

fucking DROPPED with the force of a thousand suns."
>>
>>8985635
no it was a bit silly
>>
File: muh magic.png (187KB, 696x566px) Image search: [Google]
muh magic.png
187KB, 696x566px
>>8984680
>>
>"I think they're quite captivating. But if you were to give me a bouquet, you'd soon find me in a fit so energetic that it would have you searching the walls for stray freckles..."

not bad, sander's son. it's pretty wordy though, so work on that

>"...I might have blown free..."

we get it sandyman. you don't have to explain the joke

>"...with the force of my sneezes."

jesus fucking christ
>>
>>8979859
>limited to the 1960s
>vampire novels
kid, limiting yourself to the 2000s is not better. Grow up.
>>
>>8983754
>this is getting answered unironically
>>
File: the-cild-garden22.jpg (38KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
the-cild-garden22.jpg
38KB, 309x475px
Is this any good?
>>
>>8985710
or the scene with Adolin where she asked about the procedure for taking a shit while in Shardplate.
>>
>>8985322
I'm sure a good dicking that made her cum would have solved felisin's bitchy attitude. Not her just flopping down, spread eagle, smoking a pipe not even feeling it.

Ghost hands should have used that tiger stamina to ream her pussy.
>>
File: 1464250581358.jpg (4MB, 4000x7700px) Image search: [Google]
1464250581358.jpg
4MB, 4000x7700px
>>8985397
>encouraging him

>>8980679
>spelling little wrong to bypass the filter
>>
File: Sanderson Spurdo.jpg (66KB, 853x543px) Image search: [Google]
Sanderson Spurdo.jpg
66KB, 853x543px
>>8985728
>muh magic system
>name of the wind
You wut mate?

>>8985877
I think he did it because it would be a BIG question down the line. Like do vampires take a shit.
>>
This is your daily reminder that genre fiction isn't literature and that you're all man-children for wasting your time with it.
>>
File: Sffg memes.jpg (1MB, 2544x1900px) Image search: [Google]
Sffg memes.jpg
1MB, 2544x1900px
>>8985898
>not literature reported
Good meme
>>
>>8985898
I agree, the realist genre belongs in the 19th century along with child labor, racism and therapeutic lobotomies.
>>
>>8985954
Racism is a healthy social behavior and a hallmark of every successful civilization
>>
>>8983767
>you shrug with your eyebrows
>calling other people autistic
The shrug is in the shoulders. Brow or arm movement can complement it, but they are non-essential and meaningless without the shoulders. Even the eye roll, which is a legitimate part of some shrugs is never important enough to create something known as an "eye-rolling shrug".
>>
>>8985710
I don't mind the second one, but the first one makes the heroine look like a downright autist who's literally unable of accepting a compliment and indeed is not quite capable of recognizing a phrase as such.
>>
>>8985954
Child labor is alive and well in modern developing economies, and racism is a natural human response that benefits the proliferation of similar genes. Neither is dead or will be in the foreseeable future.
>>
>>8985987
The bug shrugged.
No drug could help him lug the rug unless he first set down his mug.
Feeling smug, and unwilling to rise from the bed in which he had grown so snug, the bug reached down, giving the rug a slight tug. As he began to accept that it might be too heavy, the bug sat and thought to himself, "Fug."
>>
File: 1472500674723.png (322KB, 591x716px) Image search: [Google]
1472500674723.png
322KB, 591x716px
>>8985710
This can't be real
Isn't archive his best work?
Why is this allowed
>>
>>8982669
The first 2 books were acceptable but the last + ending was some of the worst garbage ever written.
>>
>>8985961
Get >>>/out/ >>>/b/ack to >>>/pol/
>>
>>8986228
he's right tho
>>
When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.
>>
>>8985987
>raising both your eyebrows and putting a frown on your mouth can't be seen as a facial shrug
>shrugging is not the act of raising and lowering something
>shrugging is to do with the shoulders only

Well Mr Basement Dweller, I shrugged with my face and a twist of my head as a "I don't know try for yourself and see what happens" response.

I've done, I've seen people do it, and they understand what I mean when I do it.

You can communicate so much with your face alone. You would know those if your autism was so fucking severe.

Kys
>>
>>8986127
You clearly didn't read unhewn throne's last book
The name starts with ad
>>
>>8986235
Well I'm glad Americlap has such great multi-culturism. I can get delicious white women to bed and marry.
>>
>>8986246
that is called a "raise"

if you're not using words correctly, it's puple prose

>1. raise (one's shoulders) slightly and momentarily to express doubt, ignorance, or indifference.
>"Jimmy looked inquiringly at Pete, who shrugged his shoulders"

>2. dismiss something as unimportant.
>"the managing director shrugged off the criticism"
>>
>>8986239
You forgot to link to >>8985908
>>
>>8986253
and then anon woke up
>>
>>8986263
Thank you
>>
File: PRoseLogo.png (38KB, 955x480px) Image search: [Google]
PRoseLogo.png
38KB, 955x480px
>>8986262
>raise
>raised an eyebrow
Are you trying to trigger me boy?

>the English language which is a hodgepodge of other languages can't have words meaning change over time
>gay which originally meant happy and uncaring always meant faggot/homosexual
>faggot which is a bundle of sticks always meant homosexual
>fag which is a smoke/cigarette always meant homosexual

>m-muh prose is a colour
>>
Alright, lemme ask as someone who isn't as well versed as they ought to be

What separates adult science fiction with YA science fiction
>>
>>8979294
Any tips on how to catch up with a series that got a new book out?

Been almost 2 years since and ive read 2-3 series in between so may need a refresh on how magic worked, who, what, where.
>>
>>8986293
Ya is all about children being special snowflakes (so the reader can identify with that character) taking down some power larger than them (like shonen novels). They usually have people falling in love at first sight and sacrificing themselves when they have zero chance of getting the pussy plz.

Adult is all about being social commentary and addressing problems in society. It also has sex and other shit that adults do.
>>
>>8986298
Uhh, read the sypnosis of the last book(s) on Wikipedia or something?
>>
>>8986021
>modern developing economies,
So 19th century.
>>
>>8986293
>What separates adult science fiction with YA science fiction
Age of protagonists.
>>
>>8985710
Well, Brandon Sanderson is a meme of a writer. Wtf was he thinking when next to nothing happens after 2/3rd's in the first book of WoT?
>>
>>8986401
Nevermind... How the fuck I mixed him up with Robert Jordan is beyond me. (Sure, he wrote the last two books... But still...)
>>
>>8986289
>the English language which is a hodgepodge of other languages can't have words meaning change over time
Oh man, you went and resorted to the last argument of morons caught misusing language. Maybe in whatever future you're from your descriptions are cogent but here in the present they're fucking stupid and make no sense.
>>
>>8985889

Knew I shouldn't have fixed the typo
>>
>>8986293
To appeal to teenage audience the main characters are almost always teenagers. Often they feature themes like defying authority and having a special destiny. Like a typical YA premise is
>[protagonist] was just an ordinary inhabitant of [oppressive regime] until on the day of [some rite of passage] it was discovered they possessed [unique trait making them a public enemy] and so they were forced to join [rebel faction] and now strive to liberate their people... but can they also find love?
>>
>>8982809
I picked up Black Company and Shadows Linger today at the library, looking forward to this ride.
>>
If I really liked Malazan will I enjoy The Black Company?
>>
>>8986607
Yes.
>>
>>8982700
Probably yeah
>>
Why does everyone here hate Rothfuss so much?
>inb4 random insults
Actual reasons please.
>>
File: 1465165059890.png (395KB, 825x1585px) Image search: [Google]
1465165059890.png
395KB, 825x1585px
>>8986652
>>
>>8986652
it's just mediocre
- threadbare plot, bloated beyond belief
- most of the things that would be interesting, kvothe skips over for no reason ("hurr it's not le part of this story! XD")
- literally says around pg100 to this effect: "and some would say this is where the story really begins"
- the author is a cucked beta who tries to pass this off as the way of le superior gentleman:

>"I came to know most of them. None were good enough for her, so I held them in contempt and hated them. They in turn hated and feared me. I have known her longer, my smile said. True, you have been inside the circle of her arms, tasted her mouth, felt the warmth of her, and that is something I have never had. But there is a part of her that is only for me. You cannot touch it, no matter how hard you might try. And after she has left you I will still be here, making her laugh. My light shining in her. I will still be here long after she has forgotten your name."

- boring worldbuilding
- shitty poetry, which he lauds himself in the text for writing
- cringey characters written in cliches:

>"My father gave me a kiss too. “Let me have your shirt. It’ll give me something to do while your mother fixes dinner.” He skinned me out of it and fingered the torn edges. “This shirt is wholly holey, more than it has any right to be.”
>“I think it’s nice,” my mother said, walking around from the back of the wagon. “Gives us the chance for something hot,” she gave my father a significant look, “to eat. It gets frustrating making do with whatever you can grab at the end of the day. A body wants more.”

not finished
>>
>>8986728
>>8986652
- prose that is garbage and often totally nonsensical:

>"He looked at me. His mouth moved. He called the wind. A leaf in lightning, I shook. And the thunderclap was black."
>“It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.”
>"He was a creature of winter’s pale."
>"Perhaps the greatest faculty our minds possess is the ability to cope with pain."
^ minds are pretty shit at this
>"Within a span I could identify any chemical in his cart."
^ nah, most commonly used chemicals look like water or white powder.
>"When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind." or “But most eleven-year-olds’ deepest thoughts have to do with skipping stones, and how to swing a cat by the tail.”
^ retarded bullshit cliches. apparently most people can't remember that you actually worried more as a kid though, so it's par for the course in fantasy writing.

- his retarded "you wouldn't understand X thing" phrase he constantly inserts, when it's something you could definitely understand
- title drops constantly
- unlikable, elitist, gary stu MC:

>"To truly understand what it was like, you must realize that nothing is so grand as a troupe showing off for one another. Small towns, rural inns, those places didn’t know good entertainment from bad. Your fellow performers did."
>Kvothe continued, smiling himself. “I see you laugh. Very well, for simplicity’s sake, let us assume I am the center of creation. Let us hurry forward to the only tale of any real importance.” His smile broadened. “Mine.”
>“It is easier to understand if you think of it in terms of music. Sometimes a man enjoys a symphony. Elsetimes he finds a jig more suited to his taste. The same holds true for lovemaking. One type is suited to the deep cushions of a twilight forest glade. Another comes quite naturally tangled in the sheets of narrow beds upstairs in inns. Each woman is like an instrument, waiting to be learned, loved, and finely played, to have at last her own true music made. Some might take offense at this way of seeing things, not understanding how a trouper views his music. They might think I degrade women. They might consider me callous, or boorish, or crude. But those people do not understand love, or music, or me.”

bargain bin/saturday morning cartoon dark lord, lord haliax:

>“And you seem to forget our purpose,” the dark man said, his cool voice sharpening. “Or does your purpose simply differ from my own?” The last words were spoken carefully, as if they held special significance.
>“You are a tool in my hand,” the shadowed man interrupted gently. “Nothing more. ” A hint of defiance touched Cinder’s expression.
>>
>>8986652

Someone paste rothshit's goodreads bio
>>
>>8986652
twitter was a mistake
>>
>>8986652
>Rothfuss
He is man-child that pretends to be adult this infects his work with many trigger points that explode man-child readers (which are plenty among /sffg/) walking on them. It needs a whore to catch a whore so to speak.

Trigger points already covered here >>8986668
add
- virginal courtship of women

Deficiencies could be forgotten but triggers could not.
>>
>>8986808
It all began when Pat Rothfuss was born to a marvelous set of parents. Throughout his formative years they encouraged him to do his best, gave him good advice, and were no doubt appropriately dismayed when he failed to live up to his full potential.

In high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and
>giving relationship advice
to all his friends despite the fact that he had
>never so much as kissed a girl.
He also role-played and
>wrote terrible stories about elves.
He was pretty much a geek.

Most of Pat's adult life has been spent in the University Wisconsin Stevens Point. In 1991 he started college in order to pursue a career in chemical engineering, then he considered clinical psychology. In 1993 he quit pretending he knew what he wanted to do with his life, changed his major to "undecided," and proceeded to study whatever amused him. He also began writing a book....

For the next seven years Pat studied anthropology, philosophy, eastern religions, history, alchemy, parapsychology, literature, and writing. He studied six different martial arts, practiced improv comedy, learned how to pick locks,
>and became a skilled lover of women.
He also began writing a satirical advice column which he continues to this day: The College Survivial Guide. Through all of this he continued to work on his novel.

In 2000 Pat went to grad school for English literature. Grad school sucked and Pat hated it. However, Pat learned that he loved to teach. He left in 2002 with his masters degree, shaking the dust from his feet and vowing never to return. During this period of time his novel was rejected by roughly every agent in the known universe.

Now Pat teaches half-time at his old school as an assistant-sub-lecturer. He is underpaid but generally left alone to do as he sees fit with his classes. He is advisor for the
>college feminists,
the fencing club, and, oddly enough, a sorority. He still roll-plays occasionally, but now he does it in an extremely sophisticated, debonair way.

Through a series of lucky breaks, he has wound up with the best agent and editor imaginable, and the first book of his trilogy has been published under the title "The Name of the Wind."

Though it has only been out since April 2007, it has already been sold in 26 foreign countries and won several awards.

Pat has been described as
>"a rough, earthy iconoclast with a pipeline to the divine in everyone's subconscious."
But honestly, that person was pretty drunk at the time, so you might want to take it with a grain of salt.
>>
File: 1479532794881.jpg (1MB, 4928x3280px) Image search: [Google]
1479532794881.jpg
1MB, 4928x3280px
>>8986853
>He still roll-plays occasionally, but now he does it in an extremely sophisticated, debonair way.
What i may say for certain he is DM you wish to have.
>>
>>8986873
>what's wrong with your faaaaaaaaace
>>
Someone post kvothe review on goodreads from previous thread
>>
>>8983845
>urban fantasy
>high fantasy stuff under "random"
>gay

2/10 better luck next time
>>
>>8985252
If you like low fantasy yeah, otherwise no.
>>
>>8986909
>Chronicles of Narnia
>low fantasy
Please fuck off until you learn what terms mean.
>>
>Science Fiction & Fantasy General

Science fiction: see the word "science"? Science implies reasoning and investigation and intelligence.

Fantasy: swords, dragons, faggots

You need two distinct threads, LOSERS.
>>
>>8987002
>Implying science exists IRL
>>
>>8987002

>Apple is red and pears are green

Apple: red
Pears: green

You need two distinct sentences, IDIOT
>>
>>8979749
lord of the rings lol

out of those though; malazan
>>
>>8986769
>"He looked at me. His mouth moved. He called the wind. A leaf in lightning, I shook. And the thunderclap was black."
agree
>“It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.”
I don't feel like this is that bad. A tad pretentious, and trying to hard, but not nonsensical
>"He was a creature of winter’s pale."
same
>"Perhaps the greatest faculty our minds possess is the ability to cope with pain."
same
>"Within a span I could identify any chemical in his cart."
here you are being nonsensical. It says identify, not magically tell what a chemical is by looking at it. People have 5 senses, not 1.
>"When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind." or “But most eleven-year-olds’ deepest thoughts have to do with skipping stones, and how to swing a cat by the tail.”
agree
>- his retarded "you wouldn't understand X thing" phrase he constantly inserts, when it's something you could definitely understand
>- title drops constantly
elaborate?
>- unlikable, elitist, gary stu MC:
gary sue is excusable cause the story is framed a tragedy where you know the ending. Unlikable sure, but I never felt like it was a terrible problem

Everything else relates to what I said above or common flaws in most contemporary fantasy.

I can understand why people may not personally like his work, and I can understand why people hate him personally.
I just feel like his writing is not so terrible that it deserves the disdain he receives on this board.
>>
>>8980944
Maybe not explicitly what you are searching for, but try the Sword of Truth series. Heavily influenced by Ayn Rand.
>>
>>8987099
And it's terrible
>>
So I'm extremely late to the party here, but I never knew the BOC song "Black Blade" was based on Elric and Stormbringer. That's gotten me interested in Moorcock and his books. Is there a good place to start? And how is the actual quality of the writing?
>>
File: robb stark.jpg (98KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
robb stark.jpg
98KB, 450x600px
Can we agree that Robb Stark is the biggest idiot in ASOIF?
He:
>Didn't marry right away with a Frey girl
>Didn't declare for Stannis, instead he decided to crown himself
>Didn't poison Roose Bolton the when he was in charge
>Released Theon Greyjoy as a hostage
>Broke the marriage pact with the Freys
>Didn't tell Edmure to let Tywin pass so he could lure him into an ambush
>Didn't try to salvage the situation with they Freys by giving his mother's hand to Walder frey and thus giving him the chance of having a future lord of the crossing as Half-Brother of the king in the north
>Didn't tell that the Lannister hostages tried to escape so they where killed
>Executed a powerful northern lord, instead of keeping him as a hostage
>Decided to walk straight into an obvious ambush by the Freys instead of listening to Catelyn
>Left his canine bodyguard in a cage so the freys could kill him
He is the single biggest idiot in the whole War of the Five Kings.
Can anyone try to argue this?
>>
>>8987075
>I don't feel like this is that bad. A tad pretentious, and trying to hard, but not nonsensical
flowers do not make "sounds". a man waiting to die does not make a "sound" or absence of sound that sounds like any flower

>It says identify, not magically tell what a chemical is by looking at it. People have 5 senses, not 1.
okay i agree, but still pretty preposterous

>elaborate?
he says "I was just beginning to learn the Name of the Wind™" (to that effect, but in various permutations) at least 4 times in the first 100pgs

>gary sue is excusable cause the story is framed a tragedy where you know the ending
no it ain't. there is no tragedy because there are never any stakes. just because we know he "doesn't die" doesn't mean there can't be other stakes. except for the few chapters in tarbean, he steamrolls everyone and any failure he has is just a minor setback, barely worth mentioning.
>>
>>8987149
>Didn't marry right away with a Frey girl

Blame it on the author who needed the plot to move towards the Red Wedding against logic
>>
NEW THREAD

>>8987215
>>8987215
>>8987215
>>
>>8986107
The Final Empire is far and away his best work. Probably, I haven't all his stuff because I'm not a masochist, but enough to see that there's a substantial difference in quality between that and the rest.
>>
>>8986888
>>8968633
>>
>>8987149
Ned and Robb were totally asking for it.
>>
>>8985896
Do Elantrians shit? Is this why he's writing the sequel?
>>
>>8984133
She was like, what, 14? Yeah, she was an asshole sometimes, but if any teenager has legitimate reason to be an asshole, it's Felisin.
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.