[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Robert Heinlein

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Who /heinlein/ here?

Just finished Time Enough For Love. I was saving this book for last, and I've read nearly every one of his books now. He's been extremely influential in my life, helping shape my political views in my formative years and, even more importantly, convinced me reading was a form of entertainment. I prefer his earlier works and his amazing run of YA novels.

I'd love to discuss him and recommend works for first-time readers. Must-read author for fans of sci-fi.
>>
All I know is Starship Troopers (which is GOAT) and Stranger in a Strange land which just made me laugh because like half the book was an obvious self-insert sitting around by a pool giving lectures while groupies brought him drinks. What would you recommend for someone who's more into the sci fi aspects than the hippy counterculture stuff?
>>
>helping shape my political views
which is what, lolbertarian?
>>
>>8962421
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is my very favorite, and speaks to the libertarian in me.

Read A Door Into Summer. Futuristic tale of revenge. I love it, and you could blow through it in a day or two. Starman Jones is also excellent.

If you liked Starship Troopers, which was about the Space Marines, there's Space Cadet, which is about the Navy of the future, set in space. Heinlein himself was a Navy officer. Also really good.

Stranger in a Strange Land and Cat who Walks through Walks were not my favorite. That's his later stuff right there.

Really though, there's so many titles I could recommend but those I mentioned were my favorite.
>>
>>8962421
>Stranger in a Strange land which just made me laugh because like half the book was an obvious self-insert sitting around by a pool giving lectures while groupies brought him drinks.
This sounds exactly like Plato.
>>
>>8962399
Post this in the Science Fiction and Fantasy General:

>>8957239

You may get more responses that way.

Good luck.
>>
>>8962444

Nice, will have a look through. Thanks.
>>
>>8962433
>lolbertarian
Using this slur is a great way to get people to ignore you.
>>
>>8962542
>slur
lol lolbertarians b so opprssd.

i'm cool being ignored by people who get their two bit politics from shitty genre fic tbqh. randians and lolbertarians pls filter me.
>>
>>8962466
Thanks, I'm new to this board.
>>
>>8962399
my favorite of his was Job. i eventually didn't get much out of his stuff anymore, and moved on. still holds a dear place in my heart. also, check out his and he built a crooked house, and waldo. waldo is one of my favorite short stories from that time.
>>
>>8962588
>I don't know what slur means but watch as I show you what a pseudointellectual I am.
>>
>>8962591
If you're still here, can you tell me >>8962453 if I'm right about the Plato comparison? That would honestly interest me in checking out that book. In general he sounds interesting.
>>
>>8962542
cant handle the bants
>>
>>8962774
/pol/, please.
>>
>>8962789
>i wont respond to any replies that don't give me 200% of the respect i deserve
fag
dont take things so personally little man
>>
>>8962802
What are you on about, crackhead?
>>
>>8962674
His short stories are great. Check out The Sixth Column, The Green Hills of Earth, and (my very favorite) Revolt in 2100 (collection).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolt_in_2100

>>8962751
It has some similarities, I'm sure Heinlein drew some ideas from this perspective. I'm going to be honest, I'm not crazy about SIASL. I should reread it, it's been over a decade and I read it in high school. It was really muddled, seemed to be very much a product of its decade it was written in.

Lazarus Long was a much more interesting character. Check out The Future History series instead.
>>
i always thought it was funny how Heinlein's characters would bust their asses getting to a new planet.. and as soon as they arrive.. they set up a 1920s style american farm and start ploughing the fields behind a mule.

like that was the pinnacle of achievement.
>>
>>8963391
Haha, I really can't refute this. In Time Enough For Love it made sense somewhat, but you'd think they'd make things a little easier on themselves.

I can't unread this.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.