[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/wprg/ Day 18: War and Peace Reading Group

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

File: felt-person.jpg (114KB, 587x650px) Image search: [Google]
felt-person.jpg
114KB, 587x650px
The reading for day 18 is B3 Part 3 Chapter 10 through and including Chapter 24, pp. 906-952.

>Ebooks and audiobook
https://mega.nz/#F!4QVj1b4B!BMF7h3um_c5qWHQCP_aw6g

Previous threads >>8948080 >>8941152 >>8931680 >>8921520 >>8917387 >>8913053
>>
File: Reading Schedule.png (469KB, 712x776px)
Reading Schedule.png
469KB, 712x776px
Reading Schedule
>>
>This wounded man was Prince Andrei Bolkonsky
>>
File: brovNAV.jpg (7KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
brovNAV.jpg
7KB, 250x242px
>>8951822
>>
Tolstoy was pretty pleased with that queenless hive comparison, huh?
>>
Words read for day 18: 19,881
Time taken: 52 minutes

Total words read so far: 410,906
Total words in book: 563,286
Total time taken so far: 17 hours 32 minutes
Approximate total reading time: 25 hours
>>
File: b2d.jpg (20KB, 354x395px) Image search: [Google]
b2d.jpg
20KB, 354x395px
>all of Pierre's rival suitors are out of the picture

I didn't believe it at the time, but that freemasonry mumbo jumbo is legit.
>>
File: 1482915351700.png (49KB, 1111x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1482915351700.png
49KB, 1111x1024px
>Sonya and the Countess are worried about how Natasha will react if they tell her

got me right in the feels
>>
>>8953733
>Sonya and the Countess do not give a fuck that Andrei is dying

Triggered
>>
File: IMG_4597.jpg (61KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4597.jpg
61KB, 655x527px
>mfw Andrey has died twice, yet he's still alive.
>>
>>8954034
Feels like the plot of Supernatural.
>>
Don't know what day I'm supposed to be on, all I know is that I'm 85% through the book. Tolstoy put in a lot of history when all I want to do is get back to the story
>>
What books are people recommending for a next reading group? I want to give people time to prepare for it, so we should decide sooner than later.

The two Shakespeare groups and the Iliad group appear to have been a bust.

I was thinking of a Start With the Greeks group.
>>
>>8955734
Isn't that what the Iliad group was supposed to be?
>>
>>8955739
Yes, but we might be able to actually do it.
>>
>>8955734
starting with the greeks is fine by me, also wanted to read dostoyevsky so maybe that's an option
>>
>>8955734
I like the reading group Renaissance were undergoing right now, but I think it's important that we go through with it carefully. This group and /comc/ have been very successful, and that's I think mostly because we were the first two. The other two reading groups (Greeks and short stories) were kind of fucked by the fact they were the third and fourth group on the board when most of the anons who'd be interested in joining a reading group had already signed up to at least one of the first two. So I think we need to make it a general guideline that we should cap the number of groups on the board to two or three at a time. Obviously people can do what they want and if I'm wrong then that's fine, but I don't want the reading groups after these ones to fail and people to become pessimistic again (remember how people use to be about reading groups on this board, after IJ and GR)

So it's definitely important to pick a book but also to stick with it, rather than all splitting our separate ways and trying to start a hundred different groups depending on what individual groups want.

So yeah I'd agree that it's an important conversation to have at this point. And I'll almost certainly be taking part no matter what it is, but I like the idea of doing something shorter, like Hadji Murat or soemthing by another writer.

Also the idea of a general /greek/ reading group is a good one, since people can keep an eye on that and dip in and out depending on what they're reading. I'm not that interested in rereading Homer but I'll tune in when they get to Plato definitely and maybe Hesiod etc. as well if they do that. Feel sorry for the OP of that group, people are going ape in that thread. But I reckon they'll get back on track.
>>
>>8956078

NEW THREAD
>>
File: remember your excellency.jpg (78KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
remember your excellency.jpg
78KB, 1366x768px
I was watching some adaptations of the book.

The new bbc adaptation is what you expect from a six episode adaptation of more than a thousand pages. The pace is too fast. Paul Dano as Pierre is great. The ost is good.

But then i wanted more of a russian feel from it, the show is just an english show in the end. So i watched the adaptation made by Sergei Bondarchuk. It's the most expensive movie ever made by the soviet union. I only watched the first movie, it's good. Poetic movie, there's some daring stuff in it. War scenes are good. That's what i want from a movie adaptation of this book.

>>8954034
I want to believe.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.