[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/wprg/ Day 15: War and Peace Reading Group

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 15

File: War and Peace Reading Group5.jpg (187KB, 800x690px) Image search: [Google]
War and Peace Reading Group5.jpg
187KB, 800x690px
The reading for day 15 is B3 Part 2 Chapter 5 through and including Chapter 17, pp. 752-804.

>Ebooks and audiobook
https://mega.nz/#F!4QVj1b4B!BMF7h3um_c5qWHQCP_aw6g

Previous threads >>8921520 >>8917387 >>8913053 >>8899565 >>8894553
>>
File: 1482312162990.png (469KB, 712x776px) Image search: [Google]
1482312162990.png
469KB, 712x776px
Reading Schedule
>>
File: need new panties.jpg (38KB, 517x292px) Image search: [Google]
need new panties.jpg
38KB, 517x292px
>Count Nikolai Rostov
>such chivalry
>much gentleman
>>
Don't call it a comeback
>>
I really liked the descriptions of Kutuzov. There's something temptingly fatalistic and yet optimistic about his point of view.
>>
>Two days previously he had received news that his father, son, and sister had left for Moscow; and though there was nothing for him to do at Bald Hills, Prince Andrei with a characteristic desire to foment his own grief decided that he must ride there.

Damn.

RIP you old cunt.
>>
Having previously read Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Ilyich, the scenes with the old prince were very reminiscent of it. They each offer their own views of death, similar but giving us both different characters, circumstances, and points of view. Ivan Ilyich deals almost exclusively with the dying, while the scene in War and Peace is told mainly from the bereaved. While Ivan Ilyich ends with the death, Marya's life may be beginning with it.
>>
>>8931695
>two best girls are in love with worst guy

Why is this allowed?
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>8931986
>Nikolai
>worst guy
>not best husbando
>>
>>8932003
He's not terrible but c'mon, he can't compete with Andrei and Pierre.
>>
Finished today's reading. We've now read as much as Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix + Chamber of Secrets.

Words read for day 15: 23,305
Time taken: 62 minutes

Total words read so far: 347,359
Total words in book: 563,286
Total time taken so far: 14 hours 47 minutes
Approximate total reading time: 25 hours
>>
File: Laughing-women.jpg (66KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-women.jpg
66KB, 600x337px
>>8932021
>a woman actually wanting Pierre
>>
File: basedoscar.jpg (11KB, 450x320px) Image search: [Google]
basedoscar.jpg
11KB, 450x320px
>>8932021
>el freemason autismo man
>daddy issues nihilism manlet
>better than based war-hero Rostov
hmm
>>
Man, I had the time of my life reading this out of order and going part IV, II, III, V, VI, I, and then VII. I cried so much when I finally got to part one and saw them all as children for the first time, and IV was such a comfy introduction to the characters and the whole book, just a nice long part about going to a ball.

and then boom, part II and frontline combat and retreats for two parts after

someone tell me I'm not crazy
>>
>>8932449
Holy shit that sounds based

I'm gonna start doing this t b h

This should be the new meme. Reordering the structure of already existing novels to give them different effects. But let's not try and turn it into a movement or anything faggy like that
>>
>>8932465
I've had fun reading other books out of order, too, mostly with science fiction series however. I remember I started with the last book of Gene Wolfe's The Book of the Long Sun and only ever otherwise read the second book in his The Book of the Short Sun and the narrative that resulted was really cool. It's not coming around as much for me in BOTNS but for a while it was a blast. War and Peace was really the only novel I've attempted it with, although I got tempted with Remembrance of Things Past. I'm kind of glad I didn't with that though, Cities of the Plain just sounded the most interest but Swann's Way was incredible (I still haven't worked my way up to COTP yet though, Guermantes Way killed me and I need a break).

Do y'all tend to reread War & Peace habitually? I've found that to be really rewarding with certain anime in the past, and I've been really tempted with W&P to maybe give it the straightforward read it never got in the first place. I wanna reread TBK first though
>>
>>8932449
not gonna lie you sold this really well im tempted to do this if i ever read WP again...
>>
thread theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57KCUHNkk5A
>>
File: ezq2.webm (1MB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
ezq2.webm
1MB, 720x720px
>trying to get the old prince Bolkonsky to leave Bald Hills
>>
File: 1483665412352.png (706KB, 500x775px) Image search: [Google]
1483665412352.png
706KB, 500x775px
from >>8934013
>>
File: 1483666036436.png (551KB, 500x775px) Image search: [Google]
1483666036436.png
551KB, 500x775px
>>
>>8932424
>le shot off his horse and run away man
>>
File: catch-up day.jpg (85KB, 490x327px) Image search: [Google]
catch-up day.jpg
85KB, 490x327px
Catch-up day today. We've gone five days straight now. If you are caught up, use it to read Day 16's reading.
>>
So what do you think are the best and worst family so far?
I think the Kuragin family is obviously the worst. The best would be the Rostovs for me.
>>
>>8936655
Yeah I'd agree on both counts. Rostovs are comfy as fuck and make me wish I hadn't been an only child.

>ywn retire with your sister and Sonya to your favourite corner of the sitting room to "philosophize" about your feels and dreams and that time you all dreamt you saw a Negro in the study when you were children
>>
ourguy Bezukhov > Rostov > Bolkonsky > Drubetskoy > Kuragin

The Kuragins are both rich assholes. Bolkonsky is marred by the patriarch, but as he's now out of the way things are looking up. Drubetskoys are poor, the mother managed to do well by her son and he's doing well himself. Good work Boris, keep it up. Bezukhov father left everything to ourguy, so they are the greatest.

>tfw will never grow up in the Rostov household
>tfw will never get to sneak kisses from Sonya
>>
>>8937769
>Bezukhov > Rostov > Bolkonsky > Drubetskoy > Kuragin

Nailed it.
>>
Bolkonsky > Bezukhov > drubetskoy > rostov > kuragin

Stop sleeping on my boy Boris. Boris pretending to be a S A D B O Y while courting Julie is top tier bants
>>
>>8939088
>Rostov that low

It's like you hate everything good in this world.
>>
>>8939094
>gamble away family fortune
>wont marry a girl you loved for like 8 years
>cheat on waifu while at war
>pretend to be a war hero

Nikolai is shit
At least his redemption is top tier
>>
>>8939088
I'm of a similar mind. Boris is so unapologetic about his social climbing that I can't help but like him.

The Rostovs are comfy but I can't say I particularly like any of them as individuals.
>>
I'm a plebeian who haven't read many classics yet. Should I read War and Peace?
>>
File: cool.jpg (44KB, 304x336px) Image search: [Google]
cool.jpg
44KB, 304x336px
>Sometimes he remembered how he had heard that soldiers in war when entrenched under the enemy's fire, if they have nothing to do, try hard to find some occupation the more easily to bear the danger. To Pierre all men seemed like those soldiers, seeking refuge from life: some in ambition, some in cards, some in framing laws, some in women, some in toys, some in horses, some in politics, some in sport, some in wine, and some in governmental affairs. "Nothing is trivial, and nothing is important, it's all the same - only to save oneself from it as best one can," thought Pierre. "Only not to see it, that dreadful it!"
>>
>>8940065
Sure why not. It gets good after like 300 pages so bear with it.
>>
>they started charging people who speak french
Heh. Can't make this shit up.

>>8931698
A little curiosity about kutuzov:
>He had five daughters; his only son died of smallpox as an infant. As he had no
male heir, his estates passed to the Tolstoy family, as his eldest daughter,
Praskovia, had married Matvei Fyodorovich Tolstoy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Kutuzov#Death_and_legacy
Funny, no?

>>8931717
Good insight. Tolstoy made a great description of Marya's horror after seeing the dead body of her father. So good.

Also, Guewilla Warfare!
>>
>>8941152

NEW THREAD
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.