[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/comc/ Day 4 - The Count of Monte Cristo read-through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: château d'if.jpg (78KB, 759x506px) Image search: [Google]
château d'if.jpg
78KB, 759x506px
Chapters 11 through 15

>Ebooks and audiobook
https://mega.nz/#F!NIcBwCYL!ZZo5gGqjat1yL_-RkuzZFw

Hope!

Good Christmas? Get ahead? The chapters with dantes in prison are especially comfy for me because it is a fantasy of mine, to be trapped in a dungeon. I would probably hate it, but the thought of such a simple life, with nothing to do but meditate, finding inner peace, god or both, really appeals to me. Helps to be a reclusive introverted tard like myself. I also just generally enjoy books and films about prison.

Are you yet filled with a lust for revenge?

>Previous thread
>>8880339
>>
File: Chart.jpg (329KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Chart.jpg
329KB, 1200x900px
Chart
>>
File: EdmonDantesCamerainChataueIf.jpg (4MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
EdmonDantesCamerainChataueIf.jpg
4MB, 2448x3264px
Here is a tourist attraction cell in the Chataue D'if kept to look like dantes' cell
>>
Is abbé faria the Virgil of our Dante? Is he going to educate him and show the way out of hell? He is depicted as a wise old man, who is scientific but mad (Socrates?) - a philosopher after all.

I'm curious about the revenge part. So far Dantes doesn't seem to be thinking about revenge at all. Is the philosopher gonna influence him on taking revenge? What does Dumas think about ethicality of revenge?
>>
>>8887448
It seems to me he is not even aware of villeforts actions against him. He tells the inspector that he can trust villefort completely. Something must eventually tip him off. As of now I think he sees this all as some horrible mistake.
>>
> The chapters with dantes in prison are especially comfy for me because it is a fantasy of mine, to be trapped in a dungeon. I would probably hate it, but the thought of such a simple life, with nothing to do but meditate, finding inner peace, god or both, really appeals to me. Helps to be a reclusive introverted tard like myself. I also just generally enjoy books and films about prison.

It's Oedipus Complex anon - longing for your mother's prison-like womb.

That makes me think of tunneling as a child birth image. Abbe Faria came out of the hole head-first - like a baby given birth. Is he gonna be a midwife to Dante's new birth? (Socrates again)
>>
>>8887612
I thought the Oedipus Complex was about wanting to fuck your mother? I can't do that if I'm in jail.
>>
Checking in. Am caught up through day 3, but haven't started the day's reading yet.
>>
>>8888123
Today's are the best chapters yet imo.

Also I was talking to the W&P guys. Might steal their idea of a check in poll. Be interesting to see who is still around even if they don't have anything to add to the discussion yet.
>>
Chapters were pretty comfy today. I wish today's YA had this quality of writing.
>>
Open sesame!
>>
>'he is almost mad now, and in another year he will be quite deranged.’
>‘So much the better for him; he will suffer less,’ said the inspector.
>He was, as this remark shows, a man full of philanthropy, and in every way fit for his office.

I burst out laughing at this.
>>
Caught up over Christmas, ready for day 5. Has been v comfy reading for the festive season.

I think I will need to have a map of France on hand for future chapters. A lot of the Napoleonic era history stuff goes over my head too.

That said, I think that Dumas' prose on Dantes' mental/emotional languish in prison has been the best of the story so far. I know that people say the best of any prose is always lost in translation, but what can ya do eh
>>
I see times do not change as much as we'd suppose:

>‘He was wealthy once, perhaps?’ said the inspector.
>‘Or dreamed he was, and awoke mad.’
>‘After all,’ said the inspector, ‘if he had been rich he would not have been put here.’
>>
I have been keeping up with the reading, and I am, in fact, a bit ahead since I read on Christmas. I would like to discuss, but I find typing tedious for this sort of thing. Is there any possibility of a chat room / group skype call of sorts?
>>
>>8889422
Also made me kek
>>
This book is such a page-turner!
>>
>>8890399
new thread
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.