[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

used bookstores

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: noice.jpg (98KB, 492x328px) Image search: [Google]
noice.jpg
98KB, 492x328px
Has anyone here ever ran or helped run a used book store? I'd like to one day open a nice community based book store, have poetry readings, live music, art events for kids, all that good stuff. I obviously would not be doing something like this for the money, but I have a few questions for anyone who has run a business like this.

How did/do you build/maintain your stock? Auctions? People trading in books? Friends?

How did you initially come into the space that you were using? Did you buy? Inherit?

Was it your main source of income?

And most of all, did you enjoy it and why or why not?

I'm not sure I'll get replies to my questions so /usedbookstoregeneral/ if you want.
>>
I imagine these days it might be difficult to maintain one unless you find a very good location.

Still, if you can pull it off, I think it would be a splendid endeavor.
>>
>>8797488
It's definitely not the most lucrative business. Still, the town I'm living in right now has 3 independent bookstores somehow. I guess Maine is just a great state.
>>
>>8797488
my understanding is that most of the places actually make their money off online sales and the actual brick and mortar store is more just for fun. You gotta keep the books somewhere, so you might as well make it a store.

I also have gotten the impression from every used book store owner I've talked to that there was some other, bigger revenue stream -- either the owned some other business or inherited money or had a wealthy spouse.

I agree it would be a splendid endeavor
>>
fergetaboutit

less and less readers = book stock becomes less demanded, depreciates in price. Niche markets maybe but they're already saturated with sellers. Have a look at betterworldbooks dot com to see what you'd be up against.

almost anything else would offer a better future
>>
>>8797450
My hometown of 60k people in Indiana keeps two pretty good ones going, in addition to a solid new store, and it has for years. On the other hand, I've lived in a city with a metro population of 2.1 million that couldn't keep a lone decent used bookstore going, and just one worthwhile new store. I think what a lot of people don't consider is whether or not your city is willing to support the store, which is really difficult to quantify.
Willing to say where you're planning to open it? Anons may be able to give some input on the area.
>>
>>8797547
I'm not talking about a better future though. I already live minimally and don't mind it. I just like the idea of running a space that builds a community around the arts. Don't crush my dreams homie.
>>
>>8797553
Maine, looking for spaces in the midcoast region.
>>
>>8797450

>>>/biz/
>>
>>8797554
If that's the case, you could look into running it as a 501(c)(3) organization. It limits what your take home could be, but also provides tax breaks and you can use volunteer work if needed.
>>
File: originofideology.jpg (64KB, 400x367px) Image search: [Google]
originofideology.jpg
64KB, 400x367px
>>8797588
/biz/ is full of retards, OP is in the right place

There was a guy who owned a few bookstores in Canada who had some interesting stories that he posted like a year ago, but essentially he was working harder and earning less money than if he was in a different space.

Buying a retail space isn't going to happen unless you're rich. Try working in a used bookstore and see how you like it
>>
>>8797450
marry a rich man first
>>
>>8797597
You could let people sleep there for a night after working there a few hours, like Shakepseare & Co. does for writers. Except instead of writers, it just has to be for dank memers and frog posters
>>
File: 1480210038523.gif (1MB, 435x258px) Image search: [Google]
1480210038523.gif
1MB, 435x258px
>>8797610
>OP is in the right place
>>
>>8797554
I hate to admit it but >>8797547 got some point. I think what you need to do is:

1. Establish the community first

or

2. Join the already established similar group in your area while providing this extra benefit.

You can always try to use meetup.com to find people who has similar interest with what you do if you want to achieve those goal.

If you know the amount of people who has the same interest with you, it would be much easier for you and your community to estimate the requirement and regulate the operation cost of said opportunity.

I hope it helps, anon. I like the idea even though I cancelled it since I was confused on making the content inside the event.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.