[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where are all the contemporary Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

File: Seolhyun-AOA-12.jpg (15KB, 674x400px) Image search: [Google]
Seolhyun-AOA-12.jpg
15KB, 674x400px
Where are all the contemporary Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean and Japanese philosophers?
>>
Asians are clockwork termites with no souls
>>
Philosophy is bullshit cooked up by Plato, why should any other culture care about it?
>>
>>8501852

I wasn't aware that Indian and Chinese philosophy were also cooked up by Plato.

Fucking eurocentrist ancap piece of shit.
>>
>>8501825
Nice plastic slut.
In philosophy departments.
>>
>>8501831
Whites, Blacks, Middle Easterners, and Hispanics are clockwork termites with no souls
>>
>>8501862

Well why haven't we heard of any of them?
>>
>>8501861
>>8501861
pretty eurocentric of you to assume that chinese and indian thought is 'philosophy'
>>
>>8501861
see >>8501873
>>
>>8501868
>Well why haven't we heard of any of them?
When was the last time you heard of anyone in a Western philosophy department?
Post more Kwhoreans.
>>
>>8501873

Well what is it then?
>>
File: Byung-Chul Han.jpg (8KB, 188x300px) Image search: [Google]
Byung-Chul Han.jpg
8KB, 188x300px
>>8501825
pic related is not so bad.
>>
>>8501866
"Hispanics" (Spaniards) are white. Whites are responsible for 90% of human intellectual and cultural achievement.

Asia is teeming with billions of people who can't produce one philosopher.
>>
>>8501885

Name me some Korean philosophers then.
I'm obviously not talking about famous undergrads, dumbass.
>>
>>8501891
My point is that they're irrelevant, of course I don't know any's names.
>>
Jews produce more philosophers, artists and novellists than the whole of China, Korea and Japan combined.

But I'm sure if there was mo money 4 dem programs in Asia they'd be just as creative, right, leftists?
>>
File: hriya10.png (405KB, 597x598px) Image search: [Google]
hriya10.png
405KB, 597x598px
Who else here following Korean gym chicks?
>>
>>8501890
>Whites are responsible for 90% of human intellectual and cultural achievement.

Lmao, white trash stormfront pansy riding off the coattails of "his people" xD

>"Hispanics" (Spaniards) are white.
Are you Hispanic? Let me laugh some more.
>>
File: 1473697450123.jpg (22KB, 240x229px) Image search: [Google]
1473697450123.jpg
22KB, 240x229px
>>8501913
>xD
>>
File: 1442360813067.png (71KB, 268x367px) Image search: [Google]
1442360813067.png
71KB, 268x367px
>>8501890
>"Hispanics" (Spaniards)
>>
>>8501825
They're all writing light novels, mangas and animes.
>>
>>8501919
doge is a nigger faggot
>>
>>8501825
There aren't any because none of those countries are leading the world right now.
>>
>>8501977

You don't need to be a leading country to have philosophers...
>>
>>8501913
>>8501921
>LE WHITES ONLY XDD

>>>/pol/
>>
>>8501983

This. Since when does Slovenia lead the world.
>>
>>8501983
Yeah you do.

To be more specific, you have to be a part of a leading culture. Culture is the fertilizer for the outgrowth that is philosophy.
>>
>>8501988
Zizek is garbage.
>>
>>8502000

>give me examples of non-American philosophers
>omg dis dude's garbage, not even philosophy according to my completely ad hoc standards of it

Ok, solid discussion we're having here.
>>
>>8501996

Philosophy doesn't emerge as a luxury good of total dominion. It isn't there because you happen to 'lead'. Greece didn't lead the ancient world when the first philosophical texts were written.

And also, why does Russia and Eastern Europe have philosophers then?
Or are you seriously going to imply they're actually western because it fits your shitty point?
>>
>>8502002
Who are you quoting? No one here asked for "examples"...

I question how familiar you are with philosophy if you're willing to consider that Zizek is qualified for inclusion.
>>
>>8501986
>niggers on my 4chan

>>>/out/
>>
>>8501825
I worked with a Nishitani scholar; there's lots of philosophy in based Nippon, but it's mostly people reciting older philosophers or professors obsessed with trolley problems.

East Asians don't need as much philosophy because they are trained to be obedient and not to deeply question anything
>>
>>8502011

The OP asked: "where they at?"
An answer could be a bunch of names of philosophers yeah.

But no one has given any so ( only one really )... What could the explanation be for suck a lack of East Asian philosophers?
Instead of providing any explanation, /lit/, instead of admitting Asians can't into philosophy after the Warring States, just doubts if philosophy is even a thing.
Classic. Because any explanation would be /le pol/
>>
>Chinese
In prison camps getting their organs harvested.

>Taiwanese
Struggling against government corruption.

>Korean
In the North pretending to be emotionless, in the South dying of the materialism.

>Japanese
Killed themselves in high school due to the oppression of nip society.
>>
>>8502008
>Greece didn't lead the ancient world when the first philosophical texts were written.
Culturally they did, or else those first texts would have been written elsewhere.

>And also, why does Russia and Eastern Europe have philosophers then?
China and Japan have their "philosophers" too, but their contributions are all very small and negligible, often wrapped in outdated metaphysics and mysticism, or just regurgitating what superior Western philosophers from leading cultures have said, and while those countries are definitely ahead of smaller third world countries, they aren't leading the world culturally.

You can namedrop all the Russians, Chinese, Japanese, Polish, etc. you want. The Pre-Socratics, Plato, Aquinas, Descartes, Kierkegaard, Spinoza, Kant, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, et al. wipe the floor with them.
>>
>>8502048

>Culturally they did

You bought into that meme because all you had in school or even uni was the Greco-Roman story.
But no, they didn't.
The center of that world at the time was in the Fertile Crescent.
Their writing came from the Levant and initially their form language was them copying the East. Look at how Egyptian the kouros look. Look at how Pythagoras his ideas were Egyptian in origin. Homer and Plato look at the country as the source of knowledge.

So no, they most definitely didn't perceive themselves as the (cultural) leaders of that world, nor were they in actual fact the leaders at the time the Pre-Socratics emerged, or even Plato.
>>
>>8502066
So far he's the only /pol/lack worth half a shit here, but still, don't feed the trolls.
>>
read Ko Un, you pleb
>>
>>8502066
>Their writing came from the Levant and initially their form language was them copying the East. Look at how Egyptian the kouros look. Look at how Pythagoras his ideas were Egyptian in origin. Homer and Plato look at the country as the source of knowledge.
Having derived and been inspired by other cultures does not mean that theirs was not the best.

Guys like Hesiod and Homer, Aeschylus and Sophocles, Thales, Anaximander, Heraclitus, Socrates, etc. were not Egyptian, were not Eastern... they were Greek. Many elements of Greek mythology can be traced to much older mythologies — this disregards the fact that Greek mythology was still in many ways better, more complex, richer, more refined, more dramatic and poetic. Older does not automatically mean better. Having clear influences does not automatically mean it's worse.

>So no, they most definitely didn't perceive themselves as the (cultural) leaders of that world
They didn't have to perceive themselves as such in order to be so.

>nor were they in actual fact the leaders at the time the Pre-Socratics emerged, or even Plato
Then explain why the smartest and most valuable individuals on the planet at the time, those guys, were Greek and not instead Egyptian or Eastern?
>>
>>8502173

>Having derived and been inspired by other cultures does not mean that theirs was not the best

What does that even mean, "the best"?
And according to whose standards? Not the ones at the time, that's for sure.

And we're not talking the degree of influences ( which were significant, if your form language and writing system were imported ), but the very fact they had them and not the other way around.
That only happened after Alexander's campaign.

>the smartest and most valuable individuals

What made them valuable was only determined later in history, not at the time.
>>
>>8501825
Prison. Or dead. Or afraid of being in prison/dead
>>
>>8502228
>according to whose standards?
Future leading cultures.

>What made them valuable was only determined later in history, not at the time.
The most valuable people are the ones that are valued in the future. If you are valued only in the present time but forgotten in the future, your value was limited.
>>
>>8501908
Give me some and I'll check them out. I've been looking at a lot of Korean girls lately.
>>
File: hriya2.png (789KB, 596x593px) Image search: [Google]
hriya2.png
789KB, 596x593px
>>8502247

Share some girls and names, pls.
>>
And where are all the western *contemporary* philosphers? I guess you could say... what? Foucault? By Hannah Arendt's definition you can't even count herself, Chomsky, Debord... So that's like one guy.

My point is you act like there's a bunch of prominent contemporary Western philosophers while there aren't any from East Asia, when in fact there aren't really any prominent contemporary western philosophers either.
>>
>>8502274
That's because Western philosophers already reached the end of it. It began and ended with them. It's theirs for good.
>>
>>8501825
All the Japanese people are at work.
>>
>>8502274

>where are all the western *contemporary* philosphers?

Off the top of my head, without a Google search: Jurgen Habermas, Alain Badiou, Slavoj Zizek, Jacques-Alain Miller, Peter Sloterdijk, Charles Taylor, Roger Scruton, Rudiger Safranski, Bruno Latour, Rene Girard, Martha Nussbaum

You know.. Like, read a book you typical pleb "start with the Greeks"-fuckface.
>>
>>8502323
>Jurgen Habermas, Alain Badiou, Slavoj Zizek, Jacques-Alain Miller, Peter Sloterdijk, Charles Taylor, Roger Scruton, Rudiger Safranski, Bruno Latour, Rene Girard, Martha Nussbaum

All a bunch of "literally who" university professors, relatively speaking.

You don't think there are East Asians philosophers/professors in Asia of similar stature? They just haven't been translated or aren't known in the west because the West is the West and the East is the East.

Are you really that dense?
>>
>>8502323
He said *prominent* anon. None of those people are prominent. They're obscure university professors. There are no doubt many philosopher/professors in Asia too.
>>
>>8502343

>All a bunch of "literally who" university professors, relatively speaking

You're an embarrassment to yourself if you think Habermas, Sloterdijk or Zizek are "literally who".
You seriously think Heidegger or Deleuze were world famous to the degree a pleb knew them? Of course not.

>t-t-they're just university professors

So fucking what? Hegel was one as well, you dolt.
>>
>>8502274
Icycalm is legit.
>>
File: TsujiJun.jpg (144KB, 800x1143px) Image search: [Google]
TsujiJun.jpg
144KB, 800x1143px
You do have the Japanese Stirner though.

Maybe he's meme-worthy.
>>
>>8502348

Oh how quaint.
Prominent hu? I guess your vaguely defined standard can make you win this debate so easily because anyone today isn't prominent enough according to that measure.
Filling lecture rooms all around the world? Nah, that dude isn't prominent enough because my uncle hasn't heard of him.

Kindly fuck off, dork.
>>
>>8502343

The question wasn't prominent philosophers. Just philosophers.

/lit/ is so fucking retarded at answering a simple question, thinking they're debating something profound.
They just start going on about "hmmmmm, but what IS philosophy and the Greeks were gods" like a fucking sophomore or argue over adjectives that weren't fucking there to begin with.
>>
r>>8502173
The whole East/West dichotomy is a flawed perspective, especially if you're talking about the Mediterranean world. It's an oversimplification of how ideas are formed and shared.

/

We don't really hear of many (any?) contemporary philosophers, maybe due to the shift towards empirical studies and scientific understanding. Also, the language barrier is huge - conversational Mandarin or Japanese is difficult enough to learn. How many people have the understanding, language skills and desire to translate contemporary philosophy?
>>
>>8502384
In that case there are no doubt tons of similar stature to those that were listed, in Asia. Sure we don't know about them here in the West. Do you think in the East they know about all those meme professor/philosophers that other guy listed? Hell no.

I realize this whole thread is just another thinly veiled /pol/core muh white superiority lol yellow shrimp dicks, but man...

>>8502363
You're missing the point. The assertion is "where are all the Asian philosophers". Where is your proof that there aren't a bunch of professor/philosophers of similar stature to those listed in Asia?
>>
>>8501890
To be fair, the foundations of much of what we know and think today can be traced back to the Enlightenment and the Scientific Revolution which were took place predominately in Europe.
>>
>>8502410
If there was anything worth translating, you bet that it would have been translated by now.
>>
>>8501825
Why mostly of all the Asians look so plastic jeez
>>
>>8502439

>Where is your proof that there aren't a bunch of professor/philosophers of similar stature to those listed in Asia?

Well my proof is their fucking absence.
>>
>>8502439

> Do you think in the East they know about all those meme professor/philosophers that other guy listed?

Yeah because they invite them over: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBkrID3nYMw
>>
Keiji Nishitani
>>
There are Japanese philosophers of notability in the west to be fair. The Kyoto school was probably closer to the continental school than it was to mainland Asian thought. The modernists of course got shit after WW2 though because of their role in empire and critique of western liberalism
>>
>>8502476
It's because of a process known as "photography"
>>
>>8501885
you are bastard son of whore u stopping insult my country see!!!!!
>>
>plebs don't even know zhuangzi, the most entry level Asian philosopher
>>
>>8503135

CONTEMPORARY, fucking dumbass.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.