[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any rappers whose lyrics have literary value?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 19

File: images.duckduckgo.com(6).jpg (11KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(6).jpg
11KB, 480x320px
Are there any rappers whose lyrics have literary value?
>>
It's literally the same question as "does david foster wallace have any discernible talent?"

The answer to both is no
>>
>>8459943
/thread
>>
Not sure. Whats this rapping music?
Monkeys postioning themselfes in the trees?
>>
only if they're white
>>
>>8459939
>Nigger music
>Literary
Pick one.
>>
>>8459967
>>8459969
>>8459939
You are on a bad path, kid.

First of all rap is black culture, so these fags don't like that.
Second, rap is not considered intellectual, lit fags can't pretend to care about it to seem smarter, that's another strike.
Third, rap has themes like desperation, worry, wrath and the consequences, living dangerous lifestyles, comradery, mourning and metaphysical looks on ones own life and what he's supposed to do in the scope of time he has.

But it's black peoples thoughts, and some of them make up words, so it's easy to assume it's not relevant and "ghetto"
>>
>>8459939
>what is Hamilton
>>
>>8459999
garbage
>>
>>8459939
Eminem
>>
>>8459999
>>8460001
>Dude I'm white and I don't identify with that, you can obviously tell from my hot opinions that it's objectively shit.
>>
File: crop-538599cc8101c-imgID3636752.jpg (22KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
crop-538599cc8101c-imgID3636752.jpg
22KB, 900x600px
>>8459996
Im pretty sure Charles Darwin wouldn't agree with you, son.
>>
>>8459939
Rap is about invoking feelings through tone, agressiveness and beats. So in a way, I think so. But not really. I mean, I like it, but it's not poetry, even if it at times seems poetic. Also,
>Kendrick
lmao whiteboi atta here cuckboyy what you like listen to the music of mah people and bout how whiteys be fuckin wit blackys
>>
>>8460024
Darwin admired some black people and considered a couple of them his intellectual companions. Try reading a book.
>>
File: Darwin_ape.jpg (58KB, 400x507px) Image search: [Google]
Darwin_ape.jpg
58KB, 400x507px
>>8460033
>Darwin admired some black people and considered a couple of them his intellectual companions

that's funny because Darwin was a monkey too
>>
>>8460033
So you claim, must be true true then.
I admire my parrots, they seem pretty intelligent
>>
>>8459996
You're right on all points, but you misspelled camaraderie, so I can't take you seriously.
>>
>>8460057
Be nice, the black feel despair, worry, anger, wrath.
Probably only species on the planet. We should treat them well.
>>
i would like this thread more if it was an exact repost
>>
>>8459939
No but I hate dubs
>>
>>8460024

lel getting darwin memed.
>>
>>8460088

checked.
>>
>>8460069
Nobody said they were the only ones to ever feel it you stupid faggot. I said they did feel it and they expressed it in their songs.

How sensitive are you that you think saying something about someone else means we are taking all those qualities from you.
>>
>>8460115
>we

WUZ
>>
I truly believe that Kendrick Lamar's music is the most accurate representation of the black condition in the United States. As someone who isn't black, it's interesting to read/listen to an intelligent black man speak about how they perceive the United States and their position in society. To Pimp A Butterfly is a must.
>>
Yes in the sense that rap music can describe in detail the struggles of being an oppressed person. If you're asking if the lyrics can stand alone as a literary work then no.
>>
>>8460125
>black condition in the United States
What is the condition?
>>
>>8460124
>Calls black people niggers and assumes they are simple minded and can only talk about a few things
>Yells the Afrocentrist meme when scared as if black people all believe they drove around in spaceships.
>Actually thinks his family wasn't peasant uneducated poor folk.
>Thinks he waz nobles and Kings
>Probably has sex with and shit talks transgenders on tinder.
>>
>>8460133
Cycle of poverty, black-on-black crime (Black Lives Matter was actually upset with him for rapping about this topic), the destructiveness of hood culture, etc. I'm guessing you've never listened to him
>>
Our black froends
Who dont rape our woman
Who like to spend time in prison
Who raps like my sick dog
We should be nice to them, or they pull the nigger card
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eO6OaVnbqaY
>>
>>8460160
TPAB really is an incredibly insightful album. It's amazing how Kendrick is able to express such nuanced views about the condition of black Americans while still making genuinely dope music.
>>
>>8460160
Why the fuck would you expect someone to actually experience something before they discussed it? You some kind of faggot, thinking through things before you shit on them? Gotta lotta nerve.
>>
Is it an par with Mozart, Beethoven, j.s. Bach?
Or just bursting out some self pittines?
Duh, imma gangstar, muh lineage was slaves. Duh huh
>>
>>8460181
Ah yes, I remember the literary years of Mozart!

The soliloquys, the novels, the sonnets.

Except, I don't, because he wasn't literary at all.

>Appeal to authority

How often do you listen to any of those men? I mean besides the times you do it to sniff your own farts and feel superior.

I mean can you provide anything except some fucktarded caricature of black culture?
>>
The musical Hamilton has art value as a musical. In fact, it's one of the most popular of all time (no this does not make it good and no I don't particularly like it). It stands on its own merits, and is as mildly educational as you can expect from its fare.
>>
Jay Electronica, well, at least Act 1: The Eternal Sunshine
>>
>>8460201
The nigger musical?
Hm, guess the blacks got money to enjoy the fine arts?
>>
>>8460213
Do you?
>>
> "Loving you is complicated, loving you is complicated
Loving you is complicated, loving you is complicated
Loving you is complicated, loving you is complicated"

Is that what you call literary value?
>>
>>8459939
Suicide boys
>>
>>8459939
>ctrl f "aesop rock"
>no results
aesop rock
>>
adam bradleys poetics of hip-hop is a good place to start
>>
>>8459996
Pretty much all I listen to these days is Clipping.
>>
I got the ice cream cone
They say it looks like a crown.
My people chained, biting the link
See the shadows in the black water
Its ink.

Born as nigger
I know whats trigger
Give us me that ice cream
Because I suffered. I will cry.
>>
>>8460201
this is the funniest post i've seen here in months
>>
>>8460234
>I don't understand it! That means its fucking shit!
>>
>>8460188
Different anon here
Isn't *most* rap music caricature of their own culture? Much of it sells not on it being actually related to being black, but because it in some way portrays how they like to think their life is, or wish it was. The popular money and drugs themes are just pumped up dreams of making money and getting out of the hood, or just making more money than you do if you don't live in the hood. Even NWA eventually became a parody of what it means to be black in the hood.
These days I think Kendrick is about the only one who approached the circumstances without self-parody with good kid maad city. Even then, he indulged in a bit of it with Backseat Freestyle, but at least the parody was more self-aware.
>>
>>8460255
Anon, I went and saw it. I came away thoroughly unimpressed, but it's not bad as a musical. Just not to my taste.
>>
>>8460201
What merits are that? Aside from incorporating some hip hop stuff, it's all very mediocre fare. Subject unoffensive, no interesting spin other than race swapping, music is nothing new
It's no better than a Robert Zemeckis film, put together for viewing pleasure alone and for ticket sales.
The fact that Hamilton got nominated for any awards, let alone win, shows the sorry state of theater.
>>
>>8460294
Careful, we dont speak like that. We sugarcoat our critisism, because those nignogs cant tolerate critisism.
>>
>>8460294
It was the first rap musical that wasn't complete and utter garbage. That's it. Some of the songs are nice, and it's an under-utilized era of history so people can take a narrow look at it and feel superior. By merits as a musical, I mean that it is an acceptable middle-of-the-road Broadway musical, no worse than most of the drivel that place produces these days.

Off Broadway is where it's at.
>>
sometimes

I kinda like Mos Def in this regard. His earlier things anyways, Blackstar (with Kweli) and Black on Both Sides.

J Cole too, but only a few songs. Even then, meh.

They're out there, I'm sure. But like all good music (and literature), that shit's underground yo.
>>
File: GURU-oprah-crying.jpg (150KB, 520x420px) Image search: [Google]
GURU-oprah-crying.jpg
150KB, 520x420px
I watchef it yesterday, music soo good, history great (like i cant read0
We niggers suffers so much, im not making enough money.
>>
>>8459996
That's a very good argument, but ponder this. Is there a character that could EVER defeat Uchiha Madara? And I'm not talking about Edo Tensei Uchiha Madara. I'm not talking about Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara either. Hell, I'm not even talking about Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan and Rinnegan doujutsus (with the rikodou abilities and being capable of both Amateratsu and Tsukuyomi genjutsu), equipped with his Gunbai, a perfect Susano'o, control of the juubi and Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju's DNA implanted in him so he has mokuton kekkei genkai and can perform yin yang release ninjutsu while being an expert in kenjutsu and taijutsu. I’m also not talking about Kono Yo no Kyuseishu Futarime no Rikudo Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan (which is capable of Enton Amaterasu, Izanagi, Izanami and the Tsyukuyomi Genjutsu), his two original Rinnegan (which grant him Chikushodo, Shurado, Tendo, Ningendo, Jigokudo, Gakido, Gedo, Bansho Ten’in, Chibaku Tensei, Shinra Tensei, Tengai Shinsei and Banbutsu Sozo) and a third Tomoe Rinnegan on his forehead, capable of using Katon, Futon, Raiton, Doton, Suiton, Mokuton, Ranton, Inton, Yoton and even Onmyoton Jutsu, equipped with his Gunbai (capable of using Uchihagaeshi) and a Shakujo because he is a master in kenjutsu and taijutsu, a perfect Susano’o (that can use Yasaka no Magatama ), control of both the Juubi and the Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju’s DNA and face implanted on his chest, his four Rinbo Hengoku Clones guarding him and nine Gudodama floating behind him AFTER he absorbed Senjutsu from the First Hokage, entered Rikudo Senjutsu Mode, cast Mugen Tsukuyomi on everybody and used Shin: Jukai Kotan so he can use their Chakra while they are under Genjutsu.
>>
>>8460269
Honestly it depends on the type of rap music. There's a pretty wide range of styles and subjects in the genre, but the top 40 type shit tends to be all pretty similar.

Most of the rap that would have "literary value" would be more conscious rap (e.g. Mos Def, Lupe Fiasco, Kendrick) that is actually interested in examining the culture.
>>
I listen to rap occasionally. It has some musical value the same way all popular music does, it's not significantly worse in that regard.
There are some clever/funny lines.
But I just cannot see myself actually reading the lyrics and be amazed by them.
Rap works because it expresses violent emotions over a repetitive (hypnotic) beat.

>>8460448
Conscious rappers are more educated for sure and have more depth in their lyrics.
But IMO conscious rap just doesn't work well as rap, it's not violent enough.
>>
>>8460458
>But IMO conscious rap just doesn't work well as rap, it's not violent enough.
When you say violent are you just referring to the delivery or the content? Because I can think of a few conscious rap songs that have aggressive flows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq74YbY-djQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiqWhbWg6lM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMxNYQ71LOk
>>
>>8460027
I have to disagree with you here. In my eyes, rap serves as a bridge between music and poetry, combining the importance of beats and melody with the importance of meter, rhyming (to an extent of course), and syllables as well as adding its own more unique necessities such as nuanced delivery and themes concentrating on those who are most disenfranchised.
>>
I wonder if people sincerely make these threads hoping to wow /lit/ with hip-hop. /lit/ consists of three kinds of people

1. pretentious idiots
2. shitposting idiots
3. people who don't care

There won't be the discussion you want here. So don't even try.
>>
>>8459996

>First of all rap is black culture, so these fags don't like that.

If it weren't for white teenagers buying hip hop music we wouldn't even be having this conversation. The record companies themselves are owned by whites and Jews. The most commercially successful rap "artist" of all time is white. Your culture is a curiosity, and rap is a minstrel show for the political correctness era. Seriously, the subject matter and lyrics of the average rap song are a mockery of good music. I don't know how those niggers manage to shout such aggressive, lascivious, and stupid sentences while dancing around and waving their hands at the same time. I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face. It's like how mental patients used to be exhibited for entertainment at dinner parties.

>Imma beat that pussy up like Emmet Till
>N-no I'm not like that other guy, I'm socially conscious, and have profound insights into the human condition! Listen for a minute!

So stop whining, you can't sell this horseshit to everyone.
>>
>>8459939

Rap >>>>> Slam """Poetry""""
>>
File: 52171e21afa96f448f00008d.jpg (7KB, 250x202px) Image search: [Google]
52171e21afa96f448f00008d.jpg
7KB, 250x202px
>>8460491
Dont say that. I demand being taken seriously, even if I got zero sense to say. Bwaaahhh.. listen to me, im black.. lineage of slaves.
Bwaaahh. I know im pretty stupid, so what, bwwaah
>>
>>8460478
>When you say violent are you just referring to the delivery or the content?

Both, I don't think you can separate them effectively without losing something, it's more complex than that.
Hell even the beat itself is an integral part, and all the parts are something more than the sum...

This is an example of good aggressive rap with that primal chimp energy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCvxC8rofjs
>>
File: Big.jpg (13KB, 320x413px) Image search: [Google]
Big.jpg
13KB, 320x413px
>That's why I pack a Nina, fuck a misdemeanor
>Beating motherfuckers like Ike beat Tina
>>
File: images.jpg (10KB, 220x229px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 220x229px
>>8460505
Like beating people up?
Where does it get you.?
I see a little, hurt child, missing his drug addict father.
Son, you probably got potential,, I guess.
Dont waste your life.
>>
>>8460498
>the subject matter and lyrics of the average rap song are a mockery of good music.
If you ignore the gangsta stuff, the lyrics are about as "good" as any pop music lyrics (which are 95% about sexuality).

>I don't know how those niggers manage to shout such aggressive, lascivious, and stupid sentences while dancing around and waving their hands at the same time. I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face.
You're just out of touch with those primal energies, you either feel it or don't. Teenagers tend to feel it more, but it's not exclusive to them and feeling it doesn't mean they're stupid.
Niggers might feel it more than whites/asians or maybe they just have less inhibitions.

I know it all looks stupid in a way, but so do many aspects of life, like sex, for example.
It's just something we have to live with. Not saying we have to live with niggers, though. We could restrict ourselves to watching them on tv from far away.
>>
>>8460501
You're hilarious. I'm sure your mother would be proud of how you spend your time.
>>
>>8460501
Is this what autists consider funny?
>>
>a lot of crews like to act like a violent mob
>they really need to just shut the fuck up like Silent Bob
>>
Dot Rotten. Grime mc, not rap. Most of you fat yanks won't know the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUy6EaXZN3g&index=13&list=PLFWwnM0yqVj3r0uCdh2IuwaWc9iwgcpDj
>>
>>8460135
KANGZ
>>
>>8459939
kendrick, almost
mf dooms older stuff

i dont think i can think of anyone else. like freddie gibbs and danny brown are clever with their lyrics, but its not entirely smart in any way. and milo is just some namedropping nerd.
>>
>>8460133
Self-pity, narcissism, delusions of grandeur, and consumerist tribalism. So it's the same as every other American, but from a less intelligent perspective
>>
Anons, what do you think of the blacker the berry
>>
>>8461817
I think it's dogshit for retards who know absolutely nothing about poetry and literature but want to attach its intellectual prestige to their preferred mediocrities

Stop bumping this thread and go back to your containment board
>>>/mu/
>>
>>8460173
i remember hearing that he is one of the few modern rappers who have been celebrated by his those from jazz, old-school rap, hip-hop, funk, intellectuals, poets etc he claims influences him.

my only problem with kendrick lemar is that people think that he is the first person to write "poetic rap" (i dont mean exactly poetic, i might expand on this term latter) about """deep""" issues. i was disappointed when the popularity of TPAB didnt cause the huge interest in similar rappers that many people - including myself - expected it to.
>>
It's bad poetry and it's bad music.
>>
>>8460234
holy fucking shit grow up you pleb.
lamar gives own of the most interesting critiques this century of modern run-away consumerism of black america, celebrity culture, post/ultra-ideology, and our neo-supressive zeitgeist -- if not america itself.

but dont be embarassed, every time someone does something original there are always nay-sayers. i would name them but no one ever remembers who they are. they are quickly forgotten.
>>
>>8460239
i love mr. thesaurus for his puns, word-games and allusions but he doesnt really have much emotional impact. he can say something that makes you say "wow, that was clever" but not really anything that changes your entire perspective on anything.

i admit though, i may be proved wrong - i havent listened to his stuff in a while. recommend me something contradicting my claim?
>>
>>8461901
So basically he repeats the same ideas that have been in American fiction since the end of WWII but with a jungle boogie veneer
>post/ultra-ideology
Oh I see, you were trolling. Nice one, you got me
>>
>>8461879
>intellectuals, poets
e.g.?
>>
you guys seen this analysis of Young Thugs music?

wacky shit. is is any different than the hundreds of books deconstructing joyce to the minutae.
>>
>>8461926
Well, analysis of Joyce is actually interesting to read, since Joyce's work itself is interesting.
>>
>>8461951
and worth a shit.
>>
>>8459939
only rapper i used to like was Eyedea (from Eyedea and abilities)

look up his stuff, it's pretty good imo

Some nice sounding tracks that are great (also more popular) are Burn fetish, smile, and By the Throat.

Here's burn fetish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZMRUyF8Q6c
>>
>>8461913
ehh. i was like 60-40 meme and serious.

his work is actually quiet interesting. also, you should no that themes neednt be original, only the treatment thereof. hell, literature only really pulls on less than 20 key themes (havent counted).

by post/ulta-ideology i mean that we desire belief more than ever (hence ultra-ideological) and yet have run out of anything to believe seriously in, as we've made a joke of so much. this is one of the key themes of TPAB.

its much more than just KILL WHITEY shit. it directly mocks that sentiment.
>>
>>8461973
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIOMYZVUy_I
maybe this one works? sorry anons
>>
>>8461951
did you read any of that young thug analysis? if not you cant say whether its interesting.

im just saying that you can give someone a sequence of random numbers and people will read all this complex shit into it.

(((dont hang me /lit/ im not implying that complex isnt actually present in joyce)))
>>
This thread again
>>
>>8461982
I don't see what's Jewish about that statement.
>>
>>8462081
harold bloom
>>
File: yp.jpg (32KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
yp.jpg
32KB, 630x420px
backpacker tryhard 2deep lyrical shit is not /lit/

real nigga shit is /lit/ though
>>
>>8462124
He has nothing to do with it. You probably mean Leopold Bloom.
>>
>>8460239
Came here to say this
>>8461909
his new album, the inpossible kid, is good and it's all on YouTube officially. It's more clear on his meaning than his previous albums.
>Rings
>Kirby
About his Cat
>Get Out of the Car
about realizing how his friends death affected him, but also not deflecting blame from himself for a downward spiral.
>Shrunk
he kind of makes fun of himself, his obtuseness, his lyrics, and his superior attitude.
Other songs to check out
>None Shall Pass
>the Harbor is Yours
>Daylight
>No Regrets
>Leisureforce
>>
>>8462290
will check these out later thanks.
>>
>>8459939
milo
>>
Immortal Technique
>>
File: biggie.jpg (30KB, 400x441px) Image search: [Google]
biggie.jpg
30KB, 400x441px
>>8460505

>Don't they know my nigga Gutta kidnap kids, rape 'em in they ass, throw 'em over the bridge

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>8461879
Agreed, Lamar isn't the first person to be doing this kind of thing, though he probably is the best doing it right now.
>>
>>8459939

Black Thought, Lupe Fiasco, Nas, etc...yes.
>>
>>8461817
MY DICK IS BIG
>>
Chief Keef is actually Arthur Rimbaud reborn.

>>“Yes, my eyes are closed to your light. I am an animal, a nigger. But I can be saved. You are fake niggers; maniacs, savages, misers, all of you.”
>>
>>8459939
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWveXdj6oZU

Literary value: no.

However as creativity goes, it has some merits. Also don't take the lyrics out of rap without its context to music and then compare it to the works of literary masters.
>>
>>8460390
okay i laughed at this
>>
Do black people ever get tired of having boring personalities and always going to prison? They all sound the same to me.

The only exception is blacks that are actually from Africa, some of those are alright. I met a qt one and she had a really charming accent and wasn't "sassy" at all.
>>
>>8460135
You can't argue with a /pol/eb anon.

They're the saddest and most deluded part of this site.

I like MF Doom a lot, but really for his genius beats.
>>
>>8459939
Go back to /mu/ thanks anon
>>
>>8460206
Dude fucked my best friend's uncles wife.

Seems pretty cool though.
>>
I feel like Earl Sweatshirt is pretty close.
>>
Rakim
>>
File: 1428455029192.png (940KB, 670x901px) Image search: [Google]
1428455029192.png
940KB, 670x901px
>>8460796
>no rapping loli anime
why live?
>>
>>8463492
black people in uk are cool. black people from the Caribbean are cool. black people outside america are cool.
>>
>>8459939
Busdriver's Perfect Hair is pretty interesting, both in terms of production and, probably more relevant to lit, lyrics.

listen to the album in its entirety to get the full experience
>>
>>8460088
Your life is true suffering.
>>
Rap is a form of propoganda, cultural poison which is endorsed and enabled by Jewish media outlets. I challenge you to find a single "artist" who isn't financially enabled by the Jews.
>>
>>8459939
Dizzee rascal
>>
File: 1471964950250.jpg (23KB, 487x436px) Image search: [Google]
1471964950250.jpg
23KB, 487x436px
>>8460003
>>
>>8460234
>cherrypicking
D R O P P E D fucking loser
>>
File: download (15).jpg (8KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (15).jpg
8KB, 224x225px
I'm pretty sure Nas himself said he was rapping as a character to represent different aspects of the hood. It's pretty well known he was a good student through High School, stayed away from gang related activities and wrote poetry or some shit.
I'd say this album realisitically represents a lot of the problems in the community like how gang violence can hurt the community, how easily children can get influenced, how gangsters themselves are stuck in that frame of mind and remain those easily impressionable children, the people who DO live to be older than 21 usually end up going to prison, and the whole situation prison is as its own thing; how the only memorys these grown men have to reminisce on are the crimes and stories about local thugs being sent to jail.
That's off the top of my head, it's pretty obvious he's using the 'real nigga' character to attract real niggas to listen to it, and approaching serious topics, but he stays pretty neutral on them when in character, when not in character he talks about hating the neutrality in the community to those subjects.
And it does that without being preachy as fuck like fucking TPAB.
>>
>>8466593
NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA
>>
>>8463471
NIGGA INTELLECTUAL AYYYYYYYYYYLMOAA!!11!
>>
>>8466609
if I said it, I meant
bite my tongue for no one
>>
>>8466593
idk about all that but New York State of Mind is right as fuck
>>
>>8466638
Ny state of mind, Lifes a Bitch, Halftime, Memory Lane and especially One Love get really deep into the stuff I mentioned
>>
File: liketomahawks.jpg (29KB, 930x465px) Image search: [Google]
liketomahawks.jpg
29KB, 930x465px
>>8459939
Slammin' with my youngin’s, couple hundred onions
Breaking down them 20’s what you need, we got it for you
Chop a chicken down to chicken nuggets for my cluckers
Spray that Cutlass, threw them Forgiato's on that motherfucker
Gangsta Gibbs ho'
Fresh up off the powder pan, so low on the ‘94
Bitch, I want that powder bag, geekers do that zombie walk
Bitch, I let the chopper talk
Niggas get to talking, ch-ch-chop ‘em off like Tomahawks
Ch-ch-chop ‘em off like Tomahawks
Eight thousand capsules of molly
Yeah, selling dope, and robbing, momma I dropped out of college
Yeah, jumped off on this rap shit, I’ve been one hundred solid
Yeah, police ever catch me then they gon’ catch a body
>>
No. Rap music contributes to the degeneration of "ghetto" culture.
>>
>>8459939
Only MC Ride, and no.
>>
File: 86517-cats-curious-cat.jpg (39KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
86517-cats-curious-cat.jpg
39KB, 1024x768px
>>8466690
>tfw his brother is a doctor
>parents succesfully raise a doctor as a son
>the other a drug dealing rapper
probably the most disappointed and proud parents at the same time
>>
>>8466784
>>the other a drug dealing rapper
You forgot rapist
>>
>>8462290

see merit, shovel, garbage, oxygen etc
>>
The fuck is 'literary value'?
>>
ITT: people who haven't heard of danny brown
>>
>>8466834

i got drunk and had sex with a nigger cause i'm a slut muh rape
>>
>>8459939
>lliterary value
jesus christ, i hate this website
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR7ONZaWmoY
>>
File: 1434517928351.jpg (30KB, 502x502px) Image search: [Google]
1434517928351.jpg
30KB, 502x502px
>>8460501
>this post
>>
File: Madvillainy_cover.png (121KB, 399x399px) Image search: [Google]
Madvillainy_cover.png
121KB, 399x399px
>>
File: download (8).jpg (13KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (8).jpg
13KB, 225x225px
>>8460448
>Most of the rap that would have "literary value" would be more conscious rap
The problem is that conscious rap sucks balls and 90% of "conscious rappers" are terrible. Kendrick is good, as is Mos Def but the "conscious" meme has spawned a generation of fuckwits like Hopsin, Immortal Technique and J Cole who think their cliched bullshit is better than the cliched fun of trap because it's more preachy.

Anyway the best rapper lyrically is MF DOOM. His lyrics are dizzying.
>>
Thanks for ruining this board /mu/.
>>
>>8468044
yeah mate fkin oath doom (and quasis' fuckin bomb ass beats) got me back into rap at the ripe old age of 25. pre drunk but holy shit bois doom is the shit fosho
>>
>>8468044
This bloke is awesome. while he might not necessarily be thematically deep, his wordplay is insane.
>>
this is a song from a spanish rapper divided in 3 parts, using only one vowel in each part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKiBn5PWpxw

he has also other pretty good songs, i think they have "literary value"
>>
>>8468287
His shitty instrumental leads me to believe his lyrics probably aren't that good.
>>
>>8468312
some parts are good. in any case just making sense is quite a feat using a single vowel

are there similar things in english?
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 350x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 350x250px
Good rap consist of mediocre poetry elevated by context (the beats, delivery etc.)

Just like Bob Dylan.

Is it literary in itself, no. But it's an unfair metric by which to judge it as an art form. Nobody ever asks if English folk music is "literary", and nobody assumes we need to disparage it because it can't, in good faith, be called literary.

That said, an album like TPAB, while not literary, certainly blurs the line between literature and music, being more in a lineage of black novelists like Ellison than in the tradition of black music (the music is a means to an end, nothing more than a technique used by Kendrick in order to communicate his themes, which is kinda fascinating when you think about it; it's my perfect, but it's p. cool).
>>
>>8468394
*its not perfect
>>
>>8468394
So is shit then?
Thread posts: 147
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.