[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Read what after Lolita?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: Lolita_1955.jpg (10KB, 170x285px) Image search: [Google]
Lolita_1955.jpg
10KB, 170x285px
Hi /lit/,
I really enjoyed reading Lolita. Nabukov's style of writing and the not so ordinary theme of the book made this one of the better books I have read.

I was wondering what I can read next. Can you recommend me some similar books to Lolita or other good books written by Nabukov?

Thanks.
>>
File: 1470744883095.jpg (26KB, 640x601px) Image search: [Google]
1470744883095.jpg
26KB, 640x601px
>>8381317
*Nabokov of course.
>>
File: Tiger-Tiger.jpg (100KB, 948x1423px) Image search: [Google]
Tiger-Tiger.jpg
100KB, 948x1423px
I haven't read pic related. Your question made me curious. Fucking new to /lit/.

One summer day, Margaux Fragoso meets Peter Curran at the neighborhood swimming pool, and they begin to play. She is seven; he is fifty-one. When Peter invites her and her mother to his house, the little girl finds a child’s paradise of exotic pets and an elaborate backyard garden. Her mother, beset by mental illness and overwhelmed by caring for Margaux, is grateful for the attention Peter lavishes on her, and he creates an imaginative universe for her, much as Lewis Carroll did for his real-life Alice.
>>
File: 1470744721171.jpg (21KB, 480x540px) Image search: [Google]
1470744721171.jpg
21KB, 480x540px
Shameless bump.
>>
Similar in what sense? Plot or style?

Other good works by Nabokov include literally everything he's written. Pale Fire is probably worth pointing out in particular though. It's unconventional but pretty genious.
>>
>>8381651
Similar in style.

Thanks, I will have a look at it.
>>
Ashamed to have not yet read Lolita (it's next on my summer reading list) but I took a class on Nabokov last semester. To my understanding, pretty much everything he wrote is awesome, but from what I've read of his:

Pnin is a pretty funny and beautiful novel. Speak, Memory is a really great autobiography, I haven't finished it but it changed how I thought nonfiction could be written. There's an anthology of his short fiction out there, but I specifically recommend Spring In Fialta and Signs and Symbols. And he is a pretty damn good poet, so that's worth reading.
>>
File: 1469118833086.jpg (3MB, 4000x6500px) Image search: [Google]
1469118833086.jpg
3MB, 4000x6500px
>I liked the prose
More Nabokov.

>I liked the theme
Here you go, OP.
>>
>>8382257
Newfag here. What are you studying? Could you tell me some names. I am curious about what the universities consider important. Anything that is not popular on /lit/, but you liked a lot?
>>
>>8381651

>genious
>>
Ada is a good second read, but the others mentioned here are great in varied ways. As for that weird guide, anyone reading Carroll for pedophiliac thrills is going to be sorely disappointed. One of the best arguments against the "Carroll was a pedophile in love with Alice Liddell" crap is the way he utterly fails to romanticize the character, describe her in any sensual terms, or even make her a pleasant girl. In an age where talking about the round white arms, dewy lips, and pure innocence of girls was commonplace, Carroll does none of that: nothing salacious or idealized in Alice at all.
>>
If you are looking for more Nabokov, I think that Pale Fire is his best. Ada is also good, especially if you are looking for another likeable antihero protagonist.

But, if you just want Nabokov being all purple prosey, Speak, Memory is an incredibly comfy read.
>>
>>8383024
not >>8382257 but, I took a course that featured some Nabokov works (Pale Fire, Speak, Memory). I'm studying English and Education at a decent private liberal arts school, and my professors have made it seem like Lolita is probably the best work of Nabokov in terms of prose while Pale Fire is his greatest literary achievement for its successful use of meta fiction and multi-layered storytelling. I know Nabokov was only an Amerifag for the later part of his writing career, but I've studied a lot of American fiction here and I'd be happy to recommend some stuff that my professors have really enjoyed teaching.
>>
>>8383024
I pretty recently switched my major to Literature so I still have a nice chunk of courses to take. But noteworthy books from Intro to Lit and English Lit course: Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson and The Waves by Virginia Woolf. Of course these are far from Nabokovian... :)
>>
>>8383851
How did you like Housekeeping? I read Gilead a few months ago and loved it. Is she talented enough of an author to warrant going deeper into her catalog?
>>
>>8381651
Not him but what are some books similar in plot?
>>
>>8383831
Yea, I;d love to hear your recommendations.

>>8384427
>>8382265
>>
>>8385097
I'm not sure how much of a meme you think DFW is, but one of my favorite professors has really enjoyed teaching some of his short stories (Octet, A Radically Condensed History of PostIndustrial Life, a few more I can't remember) to introduce us to more experimental forms of storytelling. I also got really into James Baldwin because of a professor's recommendation. Baldwin isn't exactly top-tier patrician, but he does write beautiful, thoughtful novel. Giovanni's Room is a good place to start - if you like how Baldwin writes about race, I rec Go Tell It On The Mountain - if you like how he writes about sexuality and relationships, I rec Another Country. As much as some of /lit/ will complain about how SJW's and identity politics are ruining English departments, those like Baldwin who write on queer topics well are invaluable in understanding 20th-21st Century American Lit. If you can discuss Judith Butler well enough at parties, you can definitely score some premium sadgirl pussy.

If you are interested in similarly vivid (albeit occasionally corny) prose that touches on Nabokovian themes, I just finished Light in August by Faulkner and really liked it. Southern Gothic writers in general do a great job writing on outcasts and losers, so if you enjoyed Nabokov for those themes, this movement might be for you. Flannery O'Conner is /lit/ queen for a reason - Every introductory literature course should read "Artificial Nigger".

He's definitely not /lit/ approved, but Ishmael Reed is an author I came across in a philosophy course that I now try to recommend. Basically, he just writes satirical meta histories on racial politics in the United States. Very far from what we were talking about earlier in the thread, but if you're looking for inventive American lit, this guy is your nigger. Japanese by Spring and Mumbo Jumbo are hilarious.
>>
>>8381411
Baited me.
Fuck you, you cunt.
>>
>>8381541
>>>/b/
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.